PDA

View Full Version : National Championship Game pre-analysis

504 to ATL
12-06-2007, 02:38 AM
Well since the other thread has completely disintegrated from actual game discussion to homerism I decided to create this thread for actual thought out possible game discussion.

I am from the south, currently Atlanta but have ties to Louisiana so I know enough about LSU but hardly anything on Ohio State. Well, other than they(Oh st.) have a talented running back and a Great defense.

pre-analysis:

Could some of the many Big Ten posters please discuss the bread and butter of Ohio States offense, and their play tendencies when certain players are in certain sets. Who are their dangerous players?

Also how they run their defense, blitz/coverage packages, and who are dominant players.

I will tell nearly all I can of LSU's offense and defense and we can compare on paper who has certain advantages in certain formations.
---------------------------------------------------------------

i.e Ohio state loves to run up the middle, while LSU's best asset on defense is a stout interior defensive line.

Advantage whom?

And what will each team change to help their offense or defense on these plays?

(if you can not tell, I am tired of the smack talk/homerism and just wish to discuss calm collected football)

Iamcanadian
12-06-2007, 06:19 AM
First I think the game will come down to which team has the emotional edge in the game and I think that favours Ohio St. after last year's embarrassing loss. However, we will have to wait and see on that one.

Ohio St. has one of the best and biggest OL's in college football. They have a RB who is big and fast and will certainly test LSU's ability to stop the run especially after watching film on how Arkansas accomplished it with McFadden.
Ohio St. might also come out throwing to loosen up the LSU defense and make them play honest. However Arkansas ran on LSU with not much of a passing attack and Ohio St.'s OL is better than Arkansas's. Ohio St. can also pass the ball a lot better than Arkansas could making it even more difficult for LSU.
I expect Dorsey to be a lot healthier for this game and that could be big.

LSU's offense which really has only been rather mediocre all year will be up against a big and fast Ohio St. defense which has 3 guys capable of going in the top 15 of the draft this year. I think if LSU tries to beat Ohio St. with Flynn, they won't have much luck but a QB like Perrilloux could give them trouble if he can handle the pressure of a big game. He's not very experienced so we don't know how he will handle himself. I think the return to health by Early Doucet is bound to help LSU's passing game. He's a top end talent quite capable of a big game but Ohio St. does have a top flight CB which just might neutralize him.

No doubt turnovers will also play a huge part in the game but we will just have to see who wins that battle.

I think the game will either be very close in which case either team can win or Ohio St. will blow out LSU if they indeed have the emotional edge on LSU. LSU just might counter Ohio St.'s emotional edge with the fact that the game is almost a home game for LSU. If LSU can negate Ohio St.'s emotions then they stand an excellent chance of winning.
Everybody who is predicting an easy game for LSU is basing it on Ohio St. weak schedule but a weak schedule doesn't mean Ohio St. isn't a very talented team and quite capable of blowing out LSU should they get the emotional edge. In these big games, nobody cares which conference you came from or who you played previously, just ask Oklahoma last year against Boise St. The team that captures the moment will win and I think that Ohio St. has an excellent chance to capture the emotional high which I believe will carry it to victory.
However, it is all speculation right now and in reality an error here or there will probably decide the game.

504 to ATL
12-06-2007, 11:12 AM
Home field advantage will go to LSU, trust me I know this one. Been to the BCS championship in 03 and LSU's sugar bowl appearances, it is usually 70-30 or 60-40 in favor of LSU.

That being said, LSU will still not be focused enough with the coaching carousel. The defensive coordinator will not have his mind on LSU and will be instead on Nebraska.

As for LSU allowing rush yards, their D line will be completely healthy. Down the stretch LSU did not have two starting defensive tackles playing. LSU is weakest against teams who direct snap the ball to their running backs, or have running quarterbacks.

Ohio State has a better offensive line than Arkansas? Are you sure, IIRC Arkansas have some huge monsters on their line.

LSU's offense has not been full strength since before the Tulane game where Flynn was injured. They are most dangerous when they can keep substituting in Ryan Perrilloux and Flynn.

Will any key players be out injured for Ohio State?

I can not remember any key players for LSU other than starting Defensive tackle Charles Alexander being out for the game, but he has been injured all season.

keylime_5
12-06-2007, 12:34 PM
Homefield will probably favor LSU, but OSU will have a lot of people there, no team in the country travels better than Ohio State, in the 2006 Fiesta bowl we had WAY more people than Notre Dame which is saying something considering the massive size of ND's fanbase. OSU certainly will pack the house more than Oklahoma did, so I don't think the location of the game will matter as much as one would think considering the # of tickets each team gets.

The #1 key in this game will be our O-Line vs LSU's D-Line. Ohio State loved to run to the left early in the year, but later in the year became very unpredictable and can run up the middle, off tackle both sides, or outside on sweeps and stretches where Chris Wells has been a monster so far. Am anxious to see how 6-8/345 Steve Rehring handles Glenn Dorsey in that game. Steve was crappy in the first 5 games, and a monster in the last 7. He ate Michigan for lunch.

The One
12-06-2007, 01:26 PM
If Perriloux plays and LSU stops GIVING THE BALL to garbage Hester.. then they'll win for sure. Theres just so much politics it ruins it... Flynn only starts because he waited so long, not because he's the best. And Hester the same.. Keiland Williams and Scott have outshined him in every game they play... and Hester's maximum run is like 15 yards. Remember the game Keiland got the majority of the carries?

Beat V-Tech by like 40...

Ohio State can not stop Perriloux / Williams... but they CAN stop Flynn / Hester. I hope LSU picks up off what Illinois did against them

bored of education
12-06-2007, 01:56 PM
I think the plan would be to have a spy on Perriloux with someone like Freeman. The WRs cannot outplay the OSU secondary. Freeman is quick enough and makes very good open field tackles. Perriloux is shifty has speed and can break those long ones. I think that the spy, youth football style spy, would work very well. The can't beat OSU throwing, but OSU can beat LSU running. I think The containment of the athletic Perriloux will be the deciding factor. Also who wins the line of scrimmage obviously. And whether Boeckman have time in the pocket and properly execute the pass game, short and long passes. Boeckman has an arm and some deep plays will kill LSU!!!

LSU wins the line of scrimmage battle while OSU is on offense it could be another long day for the buckeyes!

504 to ATL
12-06-2007, 02:47 PM
The one thing every opponent has overlooked is LSU's deceptively fast D Byrd. He pretty much has burned every corner and gets deep balls. I don't think OSU will be able to guard him either, but don't worry those passes are low efficiency.

A spy on RP, hmmm will that work? They always run him in an option set with Keiland as an available pitch.

Oh an even bigger question is who covers Dickson, he is a very good receiving Tight End?

Race for the Heisman
12-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Boeckman is the key. I'm assuming both teams will do enough on both offense and defense to at least keep it close. Boeckman's decisions will be crucial. He almost reminds me of Grossman in that he's got that deep ball-penchant, struggle with snaps sometimes, and makes some bone-headed throws. If he can keep it clean, I won't go so far as to say Ohio State would win, but it would give them the best chance to win. If he struggles...

Boeckman's problems aside, I actually like the match-up for Ohio State. The team plays its best against other pro-style offenses. Spreads are sometimes problems, that depends on the quarterback. Elusive quarterbacks will cause issues. Otherwise the spread isn't a huge factor, as seen against Purdue.

The one thing every opponent has overlooked is LSU's deceptively fast D Byrd. He pretty much has burned every corner and gets deep balls. I don't think OSU will be able to guard him either, but don't worry those passes are low efficiency.

A spy on RP, hmmm will that work? They always run him in an option set with Keiland as an available pitch.

Oh an even bigger question is who covers Dickson, he is a very good receiving Tight End?

I actually think Ohio State could play Donald Washington on Early Doucet since I don't really see that much explosiveness to make me think that Washington couldn't cover him and since Washington is quite underrated, he's a very good man-to-man technician type of corner. As for Dickson, I would see Laurinaitis and Freeman are the obvious linebacker choices, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Anderson Russell or Kurt Coleman doing it, although I think Russell would be a better choice.

gstock05
12-06-2007, 03:24 PM
IMO, the biggest matchup of this game will be LSU's offensive line vs. Ohio State's defensive line.

Ohio State's defensive line will be the best LSU has seen this year by far. Just as LSU's defensive line will finally be healthy, OSU finally returns their #2best, and #3best defensive linemen. (and thats not to mention the fact that they already had a GREAT line while they were injured).

IMO, if LSU loses the lead early, they are in BIG trouble since OSU's defense will simply drop 6-7 every guys and turn Vernon Gholston, Cam Heyward, Lawrence Wilson, and everyone else loose on Flynn/Perrilloux.

If LSU's line can run the ball early in the game and put up some early points, that will really play into their advantage.

Position to Position Matchups

1. Matt Flynn vs. Todd Boeckman: Draw, they really are about the same calibre of player. They are decent, but both can make mistakes and aren't there to win the game for their team.

2. Chris Wells vs. Hester/Williams/others: Advantage OSU. Although LSU's runningbacks are hardly just "decent". Chris Wells is simply a wrecking ball.

3. Ohio State Oline vs. LSU Oline: I'm going with a draw for NOW being. OSU's offensive line will have an advantage in run blocking, but i'm gonna hold off on the pass blocking keeping in mind Florida from last year. Although they have been dominant in pass blocking so far this year. LSU's oline is consistent and does everything well.

4. OSU Wideouts vs. LSU Wideouts: LSU has the advantage here. Robiskie is a good player with great ball skills, and Hartline does everything right. However, Doucet, Lafelle, and Byrd have a lot of speed and size, and all pose a great RAC threat.

5. OSU TE vs. LSU TE: OSU doesn't use the TE a ton, and LSU doesn't either, so this is moot.

6. Ohio State D-line vs. LSU d-line: This is a push. LSU's is likely better against the run, but there isn't a better passrushing defensive line than Ohio State. In other words, LSU has better interior lineman, and OSU is superior on the ends.

7. OSU linebackers vs. LSU linebackers: Slight advantage OSU. OSU's backers are GREAT, but LSU's guys are very underrated as well. I'll give a slight advantage to OSU, but the LSU guys are gonna have a great future.

8. OSU Safeties vs. LSU safeties: Advantage LSU. LSU's guys are big, maybe not as fast as OSU's safeties, but they have more experience, are better run stopping, and are always in the right place to make the pick.

9. OSU Corners vs. LSU corners: Advantage OSU. Malcolm Jenkins > everyone else in the nation, and Donald Washington is very talented as well although not that well known nationally.

504 to ATL
12-06-2007, 04:06 PM
Remember to never count out LSU. Nearly every game they come from behind(even when they should not) and pull out wins.

soybean
12-06-2007, 04:13 PM
Position to Position Matchups

2. Chris Wells vs. Hester/Williams/others: Advantage OSU. Although LSU's runningbacks are hardly just "decent". Chris Wells is simply a wrecking ball.

I think I'd give the advantage to LSU on this one. Beanie wells is quick, strong, has that big play ability and everything youd ask for in a runningback but I think he's gonna have his work cut out for him in trying to out muscle LSU's D-line by himself. LSU can just keep rotating their backs keeping runners fresh and at the same time tiring out the D-line.

YAYareaRB
12-06-2007, 09:36 PM
If Perriloux plays and LSU stops GIVING THE BALL to garbage Hester.. then they'll win for sure.

It's all so ******* hysterical.. Go learn something about Hester before you start calling him garbage kid.

YAYareaRB
12-06-2007, 09:38 PM
9. OSU Corners vs. LSU corners: Advantage OSU. Malcolm Jenkins > everyone else in the nation, and Donald Washington is very talented as well although not that well known nationally.

Because he was considered for the Thorpe award right? I mean, he was a finalist right?

draftguru151
12-06-2007, 10:47 PM
Because Steltz and Silva are really top 3? >_<

irishbucks
12-07-2007, 12:08 AM
How are LSU special teams?
Ohio States this year have been compared to recent years. The Buckeyes have had allowed two touchdowns on kick off returns and had three FG’s blocked this year. The Buckeyes returned one punt back for a touchdown this year.
Their primary special teamers are Ryan Pretorius(kicker), he was 17/21 for the year with his longest being 50 yards. A.J Trapsso (punter), had an average of 41.0 yards per punt with along with a long of 63 yards and 19 inside the 20 yard line. The return took a hit this year with out Ginn only having one return for a touchdown. The two main returners were Brian Hartline and Ray Small.

keylime_5
12-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Because he was considered for the Thorpe award right? I mean, he was a finalist right?

who cares about some dumb award, there is no DB in the country a team wouldn't rather face than Jenkins, he is hands down the best.

keylime_5
12-07-2007, 09:25 AM
Other than the battle in the trenches, the emotions and intensity are gonna play a huge role in this game. Tressel will have his guys ready to play, that team is hungry. One would have to read about their prebowl prep and some of the players' quotes to understand this. LSU is gonna get a fight.

RoyHall#1
12-07-2007, 09:31 AM
I think I'd give the advantage to LSU on this one. Beanie wells is quick, strong, has that big play ability and everything youd ask for in a runningback but I think he's gonna have his work cut out for him in trying to out muscle LSU's D-line by himself. LSU can just keep rotating their backs keeping runners fresh and at the same time tiring out the D-line.

OSU also has Brandon Saine and Maurice Wells, who are more than capable RB's. Beanie's just such a beast that we hardly use the other two. And the RB matchup has nothing to do with LSU's d-line. This matchup definitely goes to OSU.

bored of education
12-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Maurice wells has done very solid when Beanie's ankle acts up.

Rich Jr
12-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Home field advantage will go to LSU, trust me I know this one. Been to the BCS championship in 03 and LSU's sugar bowl appearances, it is usually 70-30 or 60-40 in favor of LSU.
Agree

That being said, LSU will still not be focused enough with the coaching carousel. The defensive coordinator will not have his mind on LSU and will be instead on Nebraska.How can anyone who isn't a football player on LSU come to that conclusion? The players wanted Pelini to stay and coach the game. Pelini wants that ring just as much as the players and his mind is 100% on this game.

As for LSU allowing rush yards, their D line will be completely healthy. Down the stretch LSU did not have two starting defensive tackles playing. LSU is weakest against teams who direct snap the ball to their running backs, or have running quarterbacks.
This is correct, i'm surprised Tennessee got away from it as early as they did. It was working.

Ohio State has a better offensive line than Arkansas? Are you sure, IIRC Arkansas have some huge monsters on their line.Arky has some monsters but overall the cohesiveness of OSU's line and the way they play they are better.

LSU's offense has not been full strength since before the Tulane game where Flynn was injured. They are most dangerous when they can keep substituting in Ryan Perrilloux and Flynn.
And if we do this we probably beat UK (we didn't see RP in the game the entire 2nd half) and Arky.

Will any key players be out injured for Ohio State? Nope, they even get back their starting DE.

I can not remember any key players for LSU other than starting Defensive tackle Charles Alexander being out for the game, but he has been injured all season.Which forced us to pull off the RS of Drake Nevis. He's going to be a special one.

504 to ATL
12-07-2007, 11:58 AM
How can anyone who isn't a football player on LSU come to that conclusion? The players wanted Pelini to stay and coach the game. Pelini wants that ring just as much as the players and his mind is 100% on this game.

Just that Bo P is a very poor Defensive Coordinator, he makes terrible clutch decisions, i.e not blitzing on 4th and 10. People want a more aggressive DC to unleash the full potential of the defense.