PDA

View Full Version : Packers-Raiders, Week 14

jackalope
12-06-2007, 08:23 PM
Green Bay can clinch the NFC North with a win or tie, or a Detroit loss or tie. They can also clinch the playoffs with an Arizona loss or tie.

I'm interested to see Russel get some playing time in this game. Not sure how much he'll play though.

johbur
12-06-2007, 09:00 PM
Well, I am hoping for Packers and Cardinals wins. Being a December team with the best record in the NFL in December over the last 4 years, and the Cowboys being the second worst team behind the Lions with regards to December record, I'm hoping the Packers stay strong and still pull out the #1 seed...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2007-12-05-december-nfl_N.htm

12-06-2007, 09:07 PM
not as serious a mismatch as some of you might think..

JF4
12-07-2007, 10:13 AM
I'm interested to see how the offense comes out and performs this week. I hope they come out and establish a run game with Ryan Grant and just work the short pass game for the 1st Half then in the 2nd take their shots down field against some pretty good corners.

The defense needs to shut down the Raiders run game to be succesful. McCown doesn't worry me at all.

Favre4ever
12-07-2007, 11:18 AM
I hope to see Rouse getting some playing time.

bigboiajhawk
12-07-2007, 11:39 AM
I hope to see Rouse getting some playing time.

Same here. I wouldnt mind seeing him and collins get a chance to play with each other.

princefielder28
12-07-2007, 12:12 PM
The key to the game is playing with our style and not beating ourselves.

The Legend
12-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Justin Fargas is a threat so stop him and i think its easy from there

also if woodson is hurt i would like to sit him out again not risk anything

last but not least i wouldnt mind signing Justin Fargas next year

Fargas & Grant would be a nice "1"2"Punch"

JF4
12-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Justin Fargas is a threat so stop him and i think its easy from there

also if woodson is hurt i would like to sit him out again not risk anything

last but not least i wouldnt mind signing Justin Fargas next year

Fargas & Grant would be a nice "1"2"Punch"

Ryan Grant needs no 2nd punch.

Boston
12-07-2007, 04:23 PM
Ryan Grant needs no 2nd punch.

Except Rodgers, our speed running back.

jackalope
12-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Blackmon with the punt return for 6. Glad we have him there instead of Woodson.

Favre4ever
12-09-2007, 12:59 PM
Bigby is always a step late on every passing play...

NickCollins36
12-09-2007, 01:28 PM
i cnt watch the game cuz where i liv but i read on jsonline they took out collins for Rouse?
oh hails naw
they better take out bigby and put ma boi bak in

Boston
12-09-2007, 01:34 PM
i cnt watch the game cuz where i liv but i read on jsonline they took out collins for Rouse?
oh hails naw
they better take out bigby and put ma boi bak in

He was shaken up. Learn how to spell.

Bigby is starting to piss me off.

Favre4ever
12-09-2007, 02:12 PM
Why do they love Bigby so much?

doingthisinsteadofwork
12-09-2007, 02:15 PM
This is a pretty boring game.

someone447
12-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Ridiculous call on that Bigby TD. No way that he was out of the play. Are you supposed to just let the qb make the tackle?

Sportsfan486
12-09-2007, 02:34 PM
Ridiculous call on that Bigby TD. No way that he was out of the play. Are you supposed to just let the qb make the tackle?

Yes. Touching a QB is basically illegal. Actually, a new rule to make touching a QB criminal is in the works for next year. The punishment is looking to be in the life to death penalty range.

doingthisinsteadofwork
12-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Although its a crappy rule enough of the calls have gone GBs way.

Boston
12-09-2007, 03:05 PM
Although its a crappy rule enough of the calls have gone GBs way.

...because the Raiders made dumb mistakes...

GB12
12-09-2007, 03:26 PM
Yes. Touching a QB is basically illegal. Actually, a new rule to make touching a QB criminal is in the works for next year. The punishment is looking to be in the life to death penalty range.
The thing that pissed me off was that on that play McCown was no longer a QB. Once the ball is intercepted he becomes a defensive player. If that block was on say a center that penalty's probably not called, being a QB shouldn't have influenced the call.

Nitschke-Hawk
12-09-2007, 03:36 PM
It's a stupid B.S. rule, if the QB doesn't wanna get hit, stay away from the play and stand there. Don't half jog or make a full attempt at making a tackle. If he stayed away and did not move Jenkins never would have touched him. As far as I'm concerned it's 45 to 7.

Bigby rebounded nicely Collins too. And I loved the blitzing in the 2nd half. They were so outta rhythm. Hopefully we keep up the blitzing and it seemed like Bob Sanders was also testing them out kinda like he did vs. Seattle in the preseason. AJ Hawk was awesome again. Barnett as well.

Props to Will Blackmon for fighting through these injuries and once again making an impact.

GB12
12-09-2007, 03:41 PM
It's a stupid B.S. rule, if the QB doesn't wanna get hit, stay away from the play and stand there. Don't hald jog or make a full attempt at making a tackle. If he stayed away and did not move Jenkins never would have touched him. As far as I'm concerned it's 45 to 7.

Bigby rebounded nicely Collins too. And I loved the blitzing in the 2nd half. They were so outta rhythm. Hopefully we keep up the blitzing and it seemed like Bob Sanders was also testing them out kinda like he did vs. Seattle in the preseason.

Props to Will Blackmon for fighting through these injuries and once again making an impact.
We were testing a lot of stuff out defensively. Everyone got a few plays as the nickelback. Bush started at NB, then Williams, Blackmon, and Walker all got a shot. Harrell got more playing time. Good game to get him going in. Kampman dropped into coverage a couple of times. As you mentioned, the blitzing. Sending Barnett through the B gap seemed to be effective.

Favre4ever
12-09-2007, 03:49 PM
It's a stupid B.S. rule, if the QB doesn't wanna get hit, stay away from the play and stand there. Don't half jog or make a full attempt at making a tackle. If he stayed away and did not move Jenkins never would have touched him. As far as I'm concerned it's 45 to 7.

Bigby rebounded nicely Collins too. And I loved the blitzing in the 2nd half. They were so outta rhythm. Hopefully we keep up the blitzing and it seemed like Bob Sanders was also testing them out kinda like he did vs. Seattle in the preseason. AJ Hawk was awesome again. Barnett as well.

I still dont like Bigby in coverage, hes pretty awful. Good against the run but cant make a play against the pass. He had a pick on the first drive and dropped it somehow. Hes always late on the play. On the other hand, Collins played an awsome game.

GB12
12-09-2007, 03:51 PM
I still dont like Bigby in coverage, hes pretty awful. Good against the run but cant make a play against the pass. He had a pick on the first drive and dropped it somehow. Hes always late on the play. On the other hand, Collins played an awsome game.
The INT he caught was pretty amazing though.

ny10804
12-09-2007, 03:55 PM
I'll have to see the play again, but I thought it was one of the "unnecessary" blocks that was bourne out of Warren Sapp's blindside block on Chad Clifton half of a decade ago.

Nitschke-Hawk
12-09-2007, 04:08 PM
If Bigby can bring down the aggressiveness just a tad he can be awesome. I was telling my mom today... everybody wants to down talk him the last month or two but he had like zero negative plays early in the year. Remember the first 7 or 8 weeks our corners always got calls against them. Lately it has been the safeties, mainly Bigby. I also said to her most of his calls wouldn't get called up until the last 5 years or so. You think Ronnie Lott could come in and play the same way he used to in today's NFL? That's why Bigby just need to reign in it a tad, be more fine tuned. I know he's 26 now and been in in the league a couple years but he's still a rookie from a games played standpoint. An undrafted one at that.

JF4
12-09-2007, 04:19 PM
I don't know about awesome but if he toned it down a little it would definately help is game. He just doesn't have some of the physical abilities that other players do, he relies more on heart and effort and you have to admire that I guess. I still think he's our best option at SS for now.

How about Ryan Grant!!!! I love the way he runs, he's the one-cut back then downhill runner we have been looking for the past 2 years. I think it was my sig that pushed him over the top.

doingthisinsteadofwork
12-09-2007, 04:22 PM
...because the Raiders made dumb mistakes...
No plenty of them today were weak calls.

cordscords
12-09-2007, 05:03 PM
How about Ryan Grant!!!! I love the way he runs, he's the one-cut back then downhill runner we have been looking for the past 2 years. I think it was my sig that pushed him over the top.

If people keep giving us a running back in mocks I'm going to punch them in the face. Grant is the real deal.

GB12
12-09-2007, 05:06 PM
No plenty of them today were weak calls.
Care to give some examples? The only one I can think of was Blackmon stepping out of bounds on the return.

Favre4ever
12-09-2007, 05:34 PM
I don't know about awesome but if he toned it down a little it would definately help is game. He just doesn't have some of the physical abilities that other players do, he relies more on heart and effort and you have to admire that I guess. I still think he's our best option at SS for now.

Against good passing teams, Bigby will get picked on. Dallas had a field day on him. Hes effective when we blitz him or allow him to be physical. When hes alone in coverage, hes already beaten. With the scheme we play the SS has to be able to make plays. Imagine in the playoffs against Dallas or at best NE, it would be a disaster.

jackalope
12-09-2007, 05:55 PM
The call against Jenkins on the interception return was terrible. It was a legal block, and the call was only made because the block was on the QB. If the quarterback is allowed to make the tackle, then blocking him should be legal.

Ryan Grant continues to play impressively. Every week I feel more confident that he is the real deal.

Twiddler
12-09-2007, 06:46 PM
I'll have to see the play again, but I thought it was one of the "unnecessary" blocks that was bourne out of Warren Sapp's blindside block on Chad Clifton half of a decade ago.

That's the feel that I got on it too. Whether it was legal or not I don't know.

yo123
12-09-2007, 06:50 PM
That was a ******** call. Its not Jenkin's problem that McCown wasn't paying any attention. Thats his own fault. The way QB's get protected just makes me sick.

jackalope
12-09-2007, 06:51 PM

Sapp's block on Clifton wasn't only illegal because Clifton was nowhere near the play while the player was being tackled, but I'm pretty sure Sapp left his feet to make the block.

Sportsfan486
12-09-2007, 09:21 PM
Sapp's block on Clifton wasn't only illegal because Clifton was nowhere near the play while the player was being tackled, but I'm pretty sure Sapp left his feet to make the block.

Yeah, he launched himself into Clifton from the side when Clifton was at least 20 yards from the ball and behind it. Plus he celebrated and bragged about it afterwards, saying he sought out Clifton ala "Yeah, I was a heat-seeking missile," Sapp said. "Boom. Boom. Boom. And I hit him." "

Not exactly the same as throwing a simple, clean block on a guy moving towards the ball.

GB12
12-09-2007, 09:24 PM
http://sportsmed.starwave.com/i/magazine/new/sapp_sherman.jpg

"Put a jersey on"

Komp
12-09-2007, 09:40 PM
Well that was ugly. I think that was the worst our defense has played all year, but we have had problems stopping the run all year so kudos to GB's offensive staff. Your {Pack's] defense is looking strong tho, Barnett and Hawk are studly together.

bigboiajhawk
12-09-2007, 10:29 PM
My Favorite play of the game that also summarizes the packer receiver corps was the donald lee touchdown, I mean he stiff armed stuart schweigert so bad, and justin harrell was in on the action, i think its only a matter of time before he starts to play on a more consistent basis. I think AJ and Nick B are the top linebacker duo in the league. I like that this was a game the packers were supposed to dominate and they did. another great game by grant as well. If he continues on this pace he will have over 1000 yards on the season.

doingthisinsteadofwork
12-10-2007, 09:22 AM
Care to give some examples? The only one I can think of was Blackmon stepping out of bounds on the return.or like how they called a holding penalty on Sims on 2nd and 22 and we completed a pass to Miller for a first.That was extremely lame call by the ref.

GB12
12-10-2007, 03:08 PM
or like how they called a holding penalty on Sims on 2nd and 22 and we completed a pass to Miller for a first.That was extremely lame call by the ref.
He had Jenkins around the neck. That was about as easy as a holding call gets.

neko4
12-10-2007, 04:28 PM
Well that was ugly. I think that was the worst our defense has played all year, but we have had problems stopping the run all year so kudos to GB's offensive staff. Your {Pack's] defense is looking strong tho, Barnett and Hawk are studly together.
Im suprised by how good yalls line is getting in pass protect, i dont thik we had a single sack, Bigby almost got one, plus mccown is great in the pocket