PDA

View Full Version : Is Groves still seen as a Manimal?

SenorGato
12-07-2007, 01:41 AM
I know that his performance this season has been...underwhelming. But dislocating three toes will probably do that to a guy whose game relies almost solely on his speed and explosiveness.

I still remember the guy that absolutely DOMINATED the South Florida game....if they had won that game it was because of Groves. I remember the guy who was the best pure pass rusher in college football. A guy who brought speed, technique, size, explosiveness, and fluidity out there.

IF this guy has fallen off at all in the eyes of prospect hunters, I think he jumps right back at the combine. He'll blow people away with workouts, and remind everyone of the prospect he was coming into this season.

Where do you see him going right now? Does he have top 10 potential if he absolutely blows away at the combine?

At the beginning of this season I had him and Tommy Blake as 1 and 1A at the DE/OLB position. I think combine will remind everyone of why that ranking was almost universal. They're both more fluid than Vernon Gholston (who is still a monster) on film.

Some memories:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZCxhlRAJ78

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV24Df50h5I&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejurh8Wiu9s&feature=related

TitanHope
12-07-2007, 04:23 AM
He is the only player I've seen to take a mid-sprint Tim Tebow at his chest, stop his forward motion instantly, and drive him backwards into the ground. That impressed me greatly, and Groves made the impact in the Auburn/Florida game. You could tell when Groves was in and when he wasn't, but Quentin unfortunately was injured a while into the game and wasn't the same force.

I still think he's a great player, and its a shame that schemes define a player's value so much, as opposed to how great of a football player he is.

BuddyCHRIST
12-07-2007, 10:48 AM
he was playing great first half of the season. Didn't see enough Auburn games to see what happened to him, anyone see how he looked in coverage at olb?

ironman4579
12-07-2007, 09:14 PM
I read that he had struggled since being moved to LB. I didn't see any games with him at LB myself, so I couldn't say for sure though.

SuperKevin
12-07-2007, 09:15 PM
Manimal is the gayest word EVER

Aftermath
12-07-2007, 09:28 PM
I hope he drops to the Bengals in the 2nd.

NYGibril28
12-07-2007, 09:29 PM
Manimal is the gayest word EVER

Manchild work better for you?

gice1212
12-07-2007, 09:45 PM
For what its worth I go to Auburn and saw Groves around campus on crutches all year. I do not think that he was 100% most of the year. This just was not a one week thing I saw him many many times throughout the season.

energizerbunny
12-07-2007, 09:45 PM
I really like this guy but unfortunately I think Gholston has surpassed him. Especially in the freak catogory as not many are expected to test as well as Vernon.

Race for the Heisman
12-08-2007, 11:22 AM
I really like this guy but unfortunately I think Gholston has surpassed him. Especially in the freak catogory as not many are expected to test as well as Vernon.

I think Gholston's time will be impressive when considered proportionally but I would expect Groves to run better overall, if not relative to size.