PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Phillips to enter NFL Draft

djp
12-07-2007, 10:22 AM
http://miami.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=748705

Not a bad move, keeps the first round streak alive.

12-07-2007, 10:27 AM
should be a lock for the top half of the first round especially after he tests out at the combine. next great miami safety in the league. :)

Rich Jr
12-07-2007, 10:29 AM
With the way Josh Bullocks has been playing I wouldn't mind the Saints grabbing him.

LonghornsLegend
12-07-2007, 10:31 AM
Hopefully he ends up better then Merriweather has been...I remember I wanted Dallas to get him badly instead of Hamlin, but after watching Merriweather play it makes you wonder....

Is Phillips completely different in playing styles?? I know Phillips has been by 2 inches and at leasat 15 lbs but reading some scouting reports on Phillips it seems like alot of the same things were said for Merriweather

BuddyCHRIST
12-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Phillips is one of the most instinctive safeties I've seen, he's also an excellent tackler. He hasn't been quite the huge enforcer other safeties have been, but he's as good of a sure tackler coming out. He's just an outstanding all around safety and should be a top 15 pick.

theogt
12-07-2007, 11:12 AM
First round picks on safeties is such a waste.

Ward
12-07-2007, 11:13 AM

Name the last super bowl winner without a great safety, most of whom were 1st rounders.

Damn Phillips would make the Cowboys secondary amazing. Phillips + Hamlin... drool.

etk
12-07-2007, 11:17 AM
This news isn't very surprising, just keep it in the rumors thread. Good luck to Kenny at the next level, make us proud.

diabsoule
12-07-2007, 11:27 AM
Maybe the Redskins might draft him.

bigboiajhawk
12-07-2007, 11:29 AM

That could one of the most dumb things anyone has ever posted. Tell that to the Colts and Steelers, who took bob Sanders and Troy Polamalu in the first round, and both of them are the heart and soul of their respective defenses. Look at sean Taylor, he was starting to come into his own before he passed away.

etk
12-07-2007, 11:30 AM
That could one of the most dumb things anyone has ever posted. Tell that to the Colts and Steelers, who took bob Sanders and Troy Polamalu in the first round, and both of them are the heart and soul of their respective defenses. Look at sean Taylor, he was starting to come into his own before he passed away.

Bob Sanders was a mid-2nd rounder because of his size.

urinemonkey
12-07-2007, 11:31 AM
He'll be a fine addition to the Broncos.

Flyboy
12-07-2007, 02:04 PM
With the way Josh Bullocks has been playing I wouldn't mind the Saints grabbing him.

I wouldn't either.

bearsfan_51
12-07-2007, 02:10 PM
I thought Josh Bullocks was the realness?

keylime_5
12-07-2007, 02:15 PM
You need an impact safety to have a good defense it seems. 1st round picks on safeties who will be just good is kinda questionable, but spending them on stars who change your D like Polamalu, Reed, Taylor (rip), etc. are worth it.

A lot of teams in the top half of round one could use a safety: Miami, Atlanta, Oakland, Philly, Washington, Chicago, New Orleans, Carolina, Cincinnati, and St.Louis.

urinemonkey
12-07-2007, 02:17 PM
You need an impact safety to have a good defense it seems. 1st round picks on safeties who will be just good is kinda questionable, but spending them on stars who change your D like Polamalu, Reed, Taylor (rip), etc. are worth it.

A lot of teams in the top half of round one could use a safety: Miami, Atlanta, Oakland, Philly, Washington, Chicago, New Orleans, Carolina, Cincinnati, and St.Louis.

Denver too

Flyboy
12-07-2007, 02:29 PM
I thought Josh Bullocks was the realness?

Where did you gather that from?

bearsfan_51
12-07-2007, 02:31 PM
Where did you gather that from?

I dunno...I like his name. I remember last year he was doing well before he got hurt. Haven't paid much attention to the Saints this year.

Bullocks.....bullocks...

Flyboy
12-07-2007, 02:32 PM
I dunno...I like his name. I remember last year he was doing well before he got hurt. Haven't paid much attention to the Saints this year.

Bullocks.....bullocks...

You're thinking of Roman Harper.

fenikz
12-07-2007, 02:38 PM
I think Phillips is a top 15 lock, so many teams could use a safety like him, if he falls to AZ he and ADub could be unstoppable

bearsfan_51
12-07-2007, 02:39 PM
You're thinking of Roman Harper.
Ah yes...another Saints safety whose name I enjoy. Sounds very regal.

Then you've got Fred Thomas. Terrible name. If you're going to suck at least suck with a cool name. Alliterations are always nice too. Adam Archuleta you (insert explitive here). See? Just rolls off the tounge.

D-Unit
12-07-2007, 02:39 PM
Phillips is overrated.

WildDude
12-07-2007, 02:40 PM

Which is also why bob sanders couldnt go to PSU joe pa didnt want him ugh wha a waste... Well Kenny looks like he could easily be the first safety picked Even as a freshman he was the best safety on the roster and thats saying something with Brandon Merriweather and Reddick...

Flyboy
12-07-2007, 02:40 PM
Phillips is overrated.

I think he would be a perfect player for Dallas.

Number 10
12-07-2007, 02:43 PM
I don't think Phillips is that good.

Travis 24
12-07-2007, 03:40 PM
I thought Laron Landry was overrated as hell last year, and pretty much the same thought on Phillips...

Rich Jr
12-07-2007, 03:54 PM
I thought Laron Landry was overrated as hell last year, and pretty much the same thought on Phillips...And yet is was Landry's hit on Curtis that beat the Eagles.

Go figure.

Travis 24
12-07-2007, 04:02 PM
And yet is was Landry's hit on Curtis that beat the Eagles.

Go figure.

What does 1 play have to do with anything?...Ronde Barber ended our superbowl hopes 2 times in a row, does that mean I think he sucks...Sean Taylor beat the Eagles 2 years ago, does that mean I think he sucks too?

I'll repeat the same things now, that I said about Landry a year ago...and Reggie Nelson is STILL better than him in the NFL, too.

art vandelay
12-07-2007, 04:13 PM
Name the last super bowl winner without a great safety, most of whom were 1st rounders.

Damn Phillips would make the Cowboys secondary amazing. Phillips + Hamlin... drool.

Exactly Marv Levy's philosophy. Honestly, he recognized this too (read it somewhere). That is why he drafted Donte Whitner with his first draft pick ever as a GM.

ENIGMATIC 1
12-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Hopefully he ends up better then Merriweather has been...I remember I wanted Dallas to get him badly instead of Hamlin, but after watching Merriweather play it makes you wonder....

Is Phillips completely different in playing styles?? I know Phillips has been by 2 inches and at leasat 15 lbs but reading some scouting reports on Phillips it seems like alot of the same things were said for Merriweather

Are you saying Merriweather is bad or something. I think it's hard to judge him after just one year. I hope the Redskins or Dolphins draft Kenny.

Sveen
12-07-2007, 04:50 PM
He is very welcome to come and play in New Orleans :)

SuperKevin
12-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Is anyone really surprised about this?

toonsterwu
12-07-2007, 05:08 PM
The diversification of passing games really requires teams to have dynamic safeties now, rather than your traditional run-support strong safety and your coverage free safety. Phillips could fit in that mold. I think he's a tad overrated, but that being said, I think he also could end up being real good if he maximizes his abilities. I think he'll go top 15, and if Philly gets a shot at him, I'll be surprised if they pass.

d34ng3l021
12-07-2007, 06:04 PM
Great safety. Very solid all around. I dont really see any weakness in him. But with that said, he doesnt have any eye popping abilities (Reed-Ball Hawk. Taylor-Talent. Landry-Hard Hitter). He is a sure tackler and good in coverage.

He might even end up on the Falcons if they end up trading down to the 10-15 range.

tylerb929
12-07-2007, 06:22 PM

Actually it was because he had an injury during the time of the draft and couldn't run at the combine due to his injury. The Colts drafted him know he couldn't play the beginning of the year.

I'm sure his size didn't help him though.

etk
12-07-2007, 06:41 PM
I thought Laron Landry was overrated as hell last year, and pretty much the same thought on Phillips...

You can't go out and call a couple of elite S prospects "overrated" without giving any justification. Same thing goes to D-Unit, but he's not consistently frustrating like you are. You're also a hypocrite. You say Bowman, Kelly, Sweed, etc. are too slow to play in the league yet you bash two of the most athletic safeties on the planet for no apparent reason. Do you just pull opinions out of a hat or are you just genuinely ignorant? You appall me either way.

bearsfan_51
12-07-2007, 07:32 PM
You can't go out and call a couple of elite S prospects "overrated" without giving any justification. Same thing goes to D-Unit, but he's not consistently frustrating like you are. You're also a hypocrite. You say Bowman, Kelly, Sweed, etc. are too slow to play in the league yet you bash two of the most athletic safeties on the planet for no apparent reason. Do you just pull opinions out of a hat or are you just genuinely ignorant? You appall me either way.

In case you haven't noticed, if your name isn't Jordy Nelson or Brian Brohm he thinks you're overrated.

Jordy Nelson, on the other hand, is the greatest football player of all time.

bored of education
12-07-2007, 07:36 PM
In case you haven't noticed, if your name isn't Jordy Nelson or Brian Brohm he thinks you're overrated.

TRUE DAWGGG +rep

P-L
12-07-2007, 07:44 PM
Greatest football player or greatest human being?

BuddyCHRIST
12-07-2007, 11:33 PM
I think safety is one of the most underrated positions draft wise, I hate when people say that you shouldn't take a safety that high. Even the best corner in football can only really shut down receivers into the safeties because even if the corner has perfect position its usually up to the safety to make plays coming across the middle or over the top. And on the other side, a corner can play much more agressive because he knows he's got quality help over the top. Same thing goes with the pass rush and the way a team blitzes, because if you have someone to play CF then a DC probably feels better blitzing. I really think the new age safety like Sean Taylor was or Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, others are can affect a defense more than any defensive position, just because they can do so many things and allow you to do so many more things with your defense.

Solomon
12-08-2007, 01:22 AM
Actually it was because he had an injury during the time of the draft and couldn't run at the combine due to his injury. The Colts drafted him know he couldn't play the beginning of the year.

I'm sure his size didn't help him though.

Are you sure about that? I remember him tearing up the combine. The two links below confirm it. They say he ran a 4.36 40 and had a 41 inch vertical at the combine.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1743694

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_kmusa/is_200403/ai_kepm387028

Confirms a 41 inch vert

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_16_228/ai_n5992808/pg_5

Staubach12
12-08-2007, 08:47 AM
I think he would be a perfect player for Dallas.

Shhh... If we get this overrated talk going, he could fall to us...

crazyisme
12-08-2007, 11:08 AM

well, that pretty much makes Phillips a lock to be a great safety seeing as how Landry is already a freaking beast.....

theogt
12-08-2007, 03:59 PM
That could one of the most dumb things anyone has ever posted. Tell that to the Colts and Steelers, who took bob Sanders and Troy Polamalu in the first round, and both of them are the heart and soul of their respective defenses. Look at sean Taylor, he was starting to come into his own before he passed away.Troy Polamalu is absolutely dreadful in coverage. Roy Williams is better than Polamalu, but he's still a liability in coverage. Run-stopping SSs are a dying breed in the modern NFL and certainly do not merit 1st rounders. Sean Taylor was extremely overrated. In fact, his 2006 campaign went down as one of the historically worst season for a defensive back.

And we're seeing this year that Laron Landry is terrible in coverage as well. None of these guys mentioned have been worth their respective first round picks.

ATLDirtyBirds
12-08-2007, 04:15 PM

Of course he is. Jordy is Jesus. We just hate because he is white.