PDA

View Full Version : Sedrick Ellis was robbed!

Jericho@SC
12-07-2007, 11:29 AM
It's a complete travesty this guy wasn't even a finalist for any of the major awards last night (Bednarik, Outland, etc.).

There is no way you can tell me that Dan Connor (Defensive Player of the Year) has been more disruptive than Ellis this season.

Ellis has 56 tackles (12 of them for a loss) and 8.5 sacks. That's more sacks than Derrick Harvey, Calais Campbell and Glenn Dorsey btw.

And speaking of Dorsey, yea he's probably a slightly better pro, but he spent much of his last 5 games on the bench due to injury. In the games he did play after he was injured, he wasn't that effective.

Line up Ellis's stats against Dorsey, and Ellis had a better season. The only category which Dorsey's stats are better than Ellis is tackles (8 more tackles) and this is with Dorsey having played 13 games to Ellis' 12. So while Dorsey gets the ESPN attention and hype, Ellis quietly had a better season than him and arguably any other defensive player in CFB.

There has been no one that's consistently affected offenses the way Ellis has for the whole season. Ellis was double teamed in every game this season. No one could stop him one on one, and you could argue that he was held for about 30-40% of passing downs when he was rushing the QB.

It's remarkable how underrated he continues to be, considering how dominant a defensive player he is.

bored of education
12-07-2007, 11:32 AM
He is very under rated, I know I'm not the only one who thinks he might be better in the NFl than Dorsey

etk
12-07-2007, 11:35 AM
Sedrick Ellis is the best DT in the nation and the best prospect. He'll get his recognition when he makes his plays in the pros. The Awards finalists are almost always weak, you have to just accept it.

504 to ATL
12-07-2007, 11:55 AM
Sucks that he got robbed

wow, completely disregard Dorsey nearly having his career ended on a complete cheap shot. Way to compare a 50% season to a complete season.

Jericho@SC
12-07-2007, 06:44 PM
Sucks that he got robbed

wow, completely disregard Dorsey nearly having his career ended on a complete cheap shot. Way to compare a 50% season to a complete season.

My point exactly. Dorsey may be a better talent than Ellis, but injuries affected him this season. IMO he was given the Outland trophy more because of name recognition and hype.

KCJ58
12-07-2007, 06:54 PM
i thought that his house got robbed or something

Smokey Joe
12-07-2007, 06:56 PM
A lot of people are actually starting to rate Ellis above Dorsey now... It's a shame he didn't get that much recognition. However, he might have the last laugh cause since he will be making more money then Connor and perhaps even Dorsey.

B-Dawk
12-07-2007, 07:03 PM

I was thinking the same thing, kind of sad that that would not be far fetched at all

Jericho@SC
12-07-2007, 08:16 PM

Sorry, poor choice of words. I guess it was bad timing especially after the Sean Taylor incident. I just felt that it was an extreme injustice that Sedrick Ellis didn't get the recognition he deserved when all the awards were given out. He should've atleast been a finalist for one of the awards he was eligible for.

slightlyaraiderfan
12-07-2007, 08:26 PM
His depature will leave such a huge void on that SC defense.

504 to ATL
12-07-2007, 08:50 PM
Making more money than Dorsey? You have to be kidding, Dorsey will be a top 3 pick, Ellis a mid first.

LonghornsLegend
12-07-2007, 09:30 PM
My point exactly. Dorsey may be a better talent than Ellis, but injuries affected him this season. IMO he was given the Outland trophy more because of name recognition and hype.

He is, it was pretty ridiculous Dorsey won the outland to me, and over Jake Long was a stretch too, he took that award because people know who he is point blank, you give some random junior the stats he put up this year, which I add isnt his fault but he has ntplayed enough, but that random guy wouldnt win an award over guys who played all year and played well...

But this thread was a little misleading, with what type of couple of months its been in general, my first thought was he was robbed literally

Komp
12-08-2007, 12:37 AM
If this keeps up it will work out perfectly when he slips to Oakland at pick #10. If we end up that low...

Unbiased
12-08-2007, 12:49 AM
It's a complete travesty this guy wasn't even a finalist for any of the major awards last night (Bednarik, Outland, etc.).

There is no way you can tell me that Dan Connor (Defensive Player of the Year) has been more disruptive than Ellis this season.

Ellis has 56 tackles (12 of them for a loss) and 8.5 sacks. That's more sacks than Derrick Harvey, Calais Campbell and Glenn Dorsey btw.

And speaking of Dorsey, yea he's probably a slightly better pro, but he spent much of his last 5 games on the bench due to injury. In the games he did play after he was injured, he wasn't that effective.

Line up Ellis's stats against Dorsey, and Ellis had a better season. The only category which Dorsey's stats are better than Ellis is tackles (8 more tackles) and this is with Dorsey having played 13 games to Ellis' 12. So while Dorsey gets the ESPN attention and hype, Ellis quietly had a better season than him and arguably any other defensive player in CFB.

There has been no one that's consistently affected offenses the way Ellis has for the whole season. Ellis was double teamed in every game this season. No one could stop him one on one, and you could argue that he was held for about 30-40% of passing downs when he was rushing the QB.

It's remarkable how underrated he continues to be, considering how dominant a defensive player he is.

Football's a team game. Let's not get caught up on individual awards.

TACKLE
12-08-2007, 02:10 AM
Making more money than Dorsey? You have to be kidding, Dorsey will be a top 3 pick, Ellis a mid first.

If by mid first you mean Top 7 then you're right.

TouchdownUSC
12-15-2007, 08:28 PM
His depature will leave such a huge void on that SC defense.

Sed is amazing but we are still going to have a nasty defense next year. Our secondary returns and we will have one of the best linebacker groups in the country with gallipo plus cushing and mauluga returning. plus everson griffin is going looking incredible.

draftguru151
12-15-2007, 08:37 PM
Averell Spicer looked decent when I was saw him this season. I don't think there is anyway he plays close to Ellis next season, but hopefully Fili can step up a bit.

big daddy russ
12-16-2007, 01:09 PM
This is the first time I realized that Ellis was left off the list of finalists for every major award, and I can't believe it. I'll stop well short of saying he was "better" than Glenn Dorsey, but he was up there. Oh well, he'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

YAYareaRB
12-16-2007, 05:58 PM
I'll admit that he sure got screwed in not being a finalist for the awards but I'm not going to say he's better than Dorsey. Sure he's had better numbers but you can't really compare them unless they have played against the same teams.

Zyro_1014
12-18-2007, 12:20 AM
I'll admit that he sure got screwed in not being a finalist for the awards but I'm not going to say he's better than Dorsey. Sure he's had better numbers but you can't really compare them unless they have played against the same teams.

he should have won it just cuz of the fact that he actually played the WHOLE SEASON. sure dorsey is extremely good and probably would have won it easier if he stayed healthy but you have to give it to Ellis. Like everyone said Dorsey won that cuz of his name

YAYareaRB
12-18-2007, 10:27 AM
he should have won it just cuz of the fact that he actually played the WHOLE SEASON. sure dorsey is extremely good and probably would have won it easier if he stayed healthy but you have to give it to Ellis. Like everyone said Dorsey won that cuz of his name

I'm pretty sure the BLATANT cheap shot went into consideration as well.. You can't blame someone for getting cheap shotted and sitting out a couple plays here and there when he could have easily just sat out the rest of the season.

NIN1984
12-18-2007, 12:15 PM
Its ok because I wouldn't be surprised to see Ellis go before Dorsey in the draft.

Jericho@SC
12-18-2007, 03:01 PM
I'm pretty sure the BLATANT cheap shot went into consideration as well.. You can't blame someone for getting cheap shotted and sitting out a couple plays here and there when he could have easily just sat out the rest of the season.

No one is blaming Dorsey for getting cheap shotted. But if a player gets injured and it affects his play, you can't "take that into consideration" when giving out awards.

Dorsey was injured. He didn't play at a high level THE WHOLE season. Ellis did. Ellis should have won. It's unfortunate, but that's what should have happened. Injuries are part of football.