PDA

View Full Version : Stiller Mock. (Explanations later.

Mr. Stiller
12-07-2007, 04:09 PM
2nd rounder for Minnesotas 2 3rds, and a 6th.

1) Jeff Otah, LT, Pittsburgh ~ 6'6 340lbs 5.23

Otah is a big mauling OT that hasn't hit his peak yet. He's got the size, power, lateral agility to possibly be an elite OT. He single handedly for the most part took out the best DE in this draft, Chris Long.. Who had no pressures in the backfield, no hurries, no TFL's, no sacks and not even a solo tackle. His rawness will let him drop because teams picking ahead of us will be looking for a much more polished prospect. Future LT behind Marvel. Could play RT early as rookie season.

3a) John Greco, OG/OT, Toledo ~ 6'5 320lbs 5.22

Greco is the more powerful, more agile version of Nick Kaczur (Patriots). He can play LT, LG, RG, RT for us. I see him and think Justin Strelczyk. The do-it-all 6th OL. I think he challenges Kemo/Colon on the right side of the line. He might even be a center conversion project. Much like Zierlein liked Blalock last year. Big, strong type.. Tough to move and has an excellent jump off the snap with a powerful hand punch.

3b) Tommy Blake, OLB, Texas Christian ~ 6'3 262lbs 4.72

Normally I picked Titus Brown here. Though I think Blake may be a steal at this point. The word is that his g/f broke up with him and his coach was being a dick, and that created the pressure. He's come back.. bigger, faster and stronger it seems. He may have to lose some weight. But if everything checks out, he's definitely worth a gander on in the 3rd. He was a potential first rounder. He's complete against the run, pass and has done some coverage work. I think with some work and the positive environment here in Pittsburgh under Tomlin, LeBeau, and Butler he should excel.

4) Nick Hayden, LDE, Wisconsin ~ 6'4 310 5.08

Nick Hayden is, how do I say this, the next Aaron Smith in my eyes. Yes Aaron played DE for Northern Colorado, and yes Aaron Smith was only 280 coming out. Nick Hayden is the real deal though. He's got the size that you love on the strongside, especially at 3-4 DE. He is powerful enough to hold the point, can make plays on the run. He has the strength to throw his guy around. Not to mention he has excellent hand work. I just think it would be an amazing duo to have Aaron Smith and Nick Hayden on the left side.. Whoever is starting and spelling, doesn't matter, both have a simliar game, though I think Hayden has the better strength coming out. Another 4th round day 2 prospect that John Mitchell turns into a top talent.

5) Peyton Hillis, FB/RB, Arkansas ~ 6'2 242 4.59

I like Hillis for a lot of reasons. One, he can be had in the 5th round. Two, he's a slower more powerful version of Brian Leonard, a more devastating lead blocker. Three, I think the tandem of Parker, Davenport/Russell, Davis and Hillis can be a devastating group. Hillis can move the pile and can get us that die hard must get 1st down. I think he could also be exactly what Kreider was, a punishing lead blocker that was underrated. With his size, speed and strength.. I think he could do some damage in our backfield.

6a) Andrew Bain, OG, Miami ~ 6'3 324lbs 5.15

I think Bain is underrated. I watched a few Miami games and he stuck out on the OL. Not for bad reasons. With a young OL and I believe he was the only returning starter, he looked very good. Had a solid hand punch, quick off the snap, and unlike Simmons, players had a hard time moving him into the backfield. I don't think he has Simmons ability to get to the second level, but then again, Simmons just misses his first block, and then his block at the second level. I think he'll develop into a very good LG.. Especially next to Otah.

6b) Steve Johnson, WR, Kentucky ~ 6'3 205lbs 4.47

Anyone remember Oregon State early this decade? They had 2 talented WR's. One guy got all the publicity and was drafted earlier.. the other? Was quiet in the background making plays. Give up? Chad Johnson and TJ Houshmanzadeh. I believe TJ is the better WR of the two.. He was a 5th or 6th rounder (Sorry memory failing) and seems to be more consistent. What does that have to do with Steve Johnson you ask? He's the Houshmanzadeh to Keenan Burton's Chad Johnson. Johnson has the size, speed and hands that teams want, but he's been quiet. With most of the publicity going to Woodson, Burton, Tamme and Little, Johnson could be a late round steal. With Cedrick Wilson leaving after the 08 season.. and no reason for me to believe in Dallas Baker.. I think this is a great pick.

UDFAs:

Kevin O'Connell, QB, SDSU ~ 6'6 230 4.68

Ben Jr. Hard to tackle, great on the run, big arm..

Danny Woodhead, KR/RB ~ 5'8 193 4.38

Great speed, great KR.. worth taking a looksie with Rossum getting up there.

Tony Burks, WR, Mississippi State ~ 6'4 220 4.52

We clamor for that big WR, Adding Johnson at 6'3 may be one.. Burks could be another. He reminds me of NYG Plax alot. Solid hands, runs great routes.. blocks downfield. I think what he lacked is a great senior season to solidify him in the draft. Reason? Freshman QB. The talent at Miss State isn't exactly there, the defense let teams get ahead early and because of that the QB came out throwing. Their QB (memory failing again) wasn't the most accurate. Often overthrowing and underthrowing WR's. I think Burks could be a solid #4/#5 at worst, given the opportunity.

Kolo Kapanui, TE, West Texas A&M ~ 6'3 270 4.69

Kolo is a versatile guy I like. He's quick, strong, big.. I think he could play a little FB too. He's a solid receiver and gives us that 3rd TE that Arians loves.

Hercules Satele, OC/OG, Hawaii ~ 6'1 320 5.18

Satele is a squat, powerful and agile guy. Samson he may not be, but with some work he could be a solid OG/OC to work on the PS to bring up to the roster.

Willie Williams, NT, Louisville ~ 6'2 308 5.08

Wille Weed? No, thats the linebacker at Pearl CC. This Willie Williams is a guy that needs a bit of refining. With 3-4 NT's so difficult to find.. Hampton and Hokes age.. It might be a good idea to bring this kid in. He has NT size already. With some work he could come in as the #3 NT and #3 LDE. And John Mitchell has a history of making some really good DL.

Johnny Dingle, RDE, West Virginia ~ 6'3 272 4.82

Dingle is a guy that doesn't get much respect. I figure him into the Keisel Role. Exceptional speed and agility. That Rover role with love. He plays in a modified 3-4 now at RDE (3-3-5). So he knows what it's like taking on 1-2 blockers every play and doing well.. he had, I believe, 8+ Sacks this season... thats impressive for a 3-4 DE even in college. I think a year or 2 on the PS and we'll see the battle between him and McBean...

Trevor Scott, OLB, Buffalo ~ 6'5 262 4.62
Gian Villante, ILB, Hofstra ~ 6'2 234 4.64
Brandon Carr, CB, Grand Valley State ~ 6'1 205 4.48
Zachary Bowman, CB, Nebraska ~ 6'2 200 4.53
Joe Fields, FS, Syracuse ~ 6'0 210 4.49
Dowayne Davis, SS, Syracuse ~ 5'11 210 4.43

I'll finish the last 6 guys after tonight.

Jakey
12-07-2007, 04:18 PM
I'll wait for your explanations before i make an evaluation =D

DeathbyStat
12-07-2007, 04:18 PM
2nd rounder for Minnesotas 2 3rds, and a 6th.

1) Jeff Otah, LT, Pittsburgh ~ 6'6 340lbs 5.23
3a) John Greco, OG/OT, Toledo ~ 6'5 320lbs 5.22
3b) Tommy Blake, OLB, Texas Christian ~ 6'3 262lbs 4.72
4) Nick Hayden, LDE, Wisconsin ~ 6'4 310 5.08
5) Peyton Hillis, FB/RB, Arkansas ~ 6'2 242 4.59
6a) Andrew Bain, OG, Miami ~ 6'3 324lbs 5.15
6b) Steve Johnson, WR, Kentucky ~ 6'3 205lbs 4.47

UDFAs:

Kevin O'Connell, QB, SDSU ~ 6'6 230 4.68
Danny Woodhead, KR/RB ~ 5'8 193 4.38
Tony Burks, WR, Mississippi State ~ 6'4 220 4.52
Kolo Kapanui, TE, West Texas A&M ~ 6'3 270 4.69
Hercules Satele, OC/OG, Hawaii ~ 6'1 320 5.18

Willie Williams, NT, Louisville ~ 6'2 308 5.08
Johnny Dingle, RDE, West Virginia ~ 6'3 272 4.82
Trevor Scott, OLB, Buffalo ~ 6'5 262 4.62
Gian Villante, ILB, Hofstra ~ 6'2 234 4.64
Brandon Carr, CB, Grand Valley State ~ 6'1 205 4.48
Zachary Bowman, CB, Nebraska ~ 6'2 200 4.53
Joe Fields, FS, Syracuse ~ 6'0 210 4.49
Dowayne Davis, SS, Syracuse ~ 5'11 210 4.43

I would love to get either Jacob Hester or Peyton Hillis

skarocksoi
12-07-2007, 05:22 PM
This is a good year to get a FB in the draft with guys like Hillis and Schmitt. I think theres another good one out there as well. Maybe from Missouri?

Jakey
12-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Good write up Stiller...although i think if we draft a 1st round OT, we wont draft another 2 OG's. I see us starting the rook at RT (Otah, Williams, Loadholt etc...) and moving Colon to guard. That way we would have Colon, Simmons and Kemo' at guard...which is more depth than allot of teams have allready. I can see us drafting 1 more OG...but thats it.

I like the mock as a whole...but i think its abit excessive on the O-Line (if thats even possible for the Steelers) ;) Good job

fischbowl
12-07-2007, 06:18 PM
Zack Bowman, UDFA?

Mr. Stiller
12-07-2007, 09:58 PM
This is a good year to get a FB in the draft with guys like Hillis and Schmitt. I think theres another good one out there as well. Maybe from Missouri?

Mike Cox, Georgia Tech.. but he's not known for toting the rock.

If we went UDFA FB... I'd go with OSU's Dionte Johnson.

Good write up Stiller...although i think if we draft a 1st round OT, we wont draft another 2 OG's. I see us starting the rook at RT (Otah, Williams, Loadholt etc...) and moving Colon to guard. That way we would have Colon, Simmons and Kemo' at guard...which is more depth than allot of teams have allready. I can see us drafting 1 more OG...but thats it.

I like the mock as a whole...but i think its abit excessive on the O-Line (if thats even possible for the Steelers) Good job

I don't think it is. Here's why..

1) Andrew Bain is a 6th rounder.. I think he'll stick, but if he doesn't, he could be PS Material. Even then, we could always use a Practice Squad OG.

2) John Greco will be underrated. I think he can be a great RG/RT, Solid LG and Average LT. That alone will make him a vital guy in our offense... Like I said, Justin Strelczyk. That guy could play anywhere on the OL at a moments notice and the OL Wouldn't miss a beat.

3) I don't think you and the Steelers M.O. see eye to eye. The last rookie to start and stay in for the Steelers was Alan Faneca in 1998, because of Injury. Trai Essex, Chris Kemoeatu and Willie Colon started as rookies, but weren't locked in. I can't see them migrating away from Colon even for a first rounder. Otahs knock is his inexperience. He's played 1 year of HS, 2 of JuCo and 2 of D1. I think he'll need some technique work and some time to learn the scheme. Which is why I don't think he'll be starting as a rookie.

4) Contracts. If we take Otah in round 1, we're committing him to LT.

*Alan Faneca is likely gone because we wrapped too much money up in Simmons, we have to pay Ben and Alan is going to get a big payday from someone. We're down a guard as well now. (Bain)

*Max Starks is pretty much gone. He is going to command a good amount of money in a weak OL FA year. There's no Dockery, Steinbach this year.. the best 2 Free Agent OL are Starks and Faneca. Possibly Stacy Andrews as well. We're down a tackle. (Jeff Otah)

*Trai Essex is a RFA. He's pretty much eaten his way out of contention. He went from backup LT to 3rd String OT. Hell we don't even use him. He provides nothing but mediocre depth, if you'll call it that. I think we should cut him and bring in someone who actually can be relied upon. (John Greco)

*Marvel Smith is still only going to be 30-31 and his contract will be out after the 2008 season. This creates a dilemma. Marvel is still a solid LT and likely will command LT money from someone (Houston, Atlanta). I don't know if he'll take a hometown discount. If he doesn't.. that leaves us short a Tackle.

*Chris Kemoeatu is another issue. He's an RFA this year. We'll keep him. A great year and he could command solid money in Free Agency.. a bad year and then we realize he's nothing more than depth. So we could be down another Guard.

If we lose Starks, Faneca and Cut Essex... we'll have more than adequate room for Otah, Bain and Greco.

Not to mention..

Marvel ~ Simmons ~ Mahan ~ Kemo ~ Colon
Otah ~ Bain ~ Stapleton ~ Greco ~ Greco/Otah

Then

Otah ~ Bain ~ Mahan ~ Colon ~ Greco
? ~ Simmons ~ Stapleton ~ ? ~ ?

Unless we sign Marvel back.. that would take 2 question marks away.. Though we may have to get a RG/RT swingman in the draft or FA next year.

Zack Bowman, UDFA?

Not definite, but very possible. He had a major injury.. Came back and was replaced by a Freshman. Doesn't look good. He could very well get drafted, He could also fall to UDFA. If he does.. I think he's the perfect type of guy for Tomlin to coach up.

DeathbyStat
12-08-2007, 10:20 AM
Can anyone get me some video on this Otah? Everyone is talking him up and I haven't seen him play?

Hines
12-08-2007, 11:11 AM
I like this mock a lot. We get younger, tougher olineman and i like that.

Oh and btw, TJ was a 7th rounder =)