PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Otah

DeathbyStat
12-08-2007, 10:31 AM
Can anyone get me some video on this Otah? Everyone is talking him up and I haven't seen him play?

Mr. Stiller
12-08-2007, 10:58 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ejI-gUG_rhA

Watch for #76... (Plays LT in normal formations and RT in RB direct Snap formations)

bored of education
12-08-2007, 12:20 PM
He is a beast and owned Chris Long, but got owned by George Selvie. He has athleticism and great footwork. He has some potential of being a beast of an LT. He could have a big combine and move into the top 10.

princefielder28
12-08-2007, 12:32 PM
He is a beast and owned Chris Long, but got owned by George Selvie. He has athleticism and great footwork. He has some potential of being a beast of an LT. He could have a big combine and move into the top 10.

He's certainly better than Sam Baker and if Ryan Clady comes out they will compete for the 2nd OT taken

Mr. Stiller
12-08-2007, 12:41 PM
I think you guys are jumping the gun a bit.

I think he's a great physical talent. But the hard work still needs done. He needs a lot of technique work and may take a red-shirt year understanding a new scheme.

I still think Sam Baker, Ryan Clady could very well go ahead of him.

TACKLE
12-08-2007, 12:54 PM
I love Otah. He is such a dominant run-blocker. I wouldn't be if he is taken ahead of Jake Long come April.

SuperKevin
12-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Otah is good but he has the largest margin of success to failure rate in the draft in my opinion. There's no real middle ground with him. I think you either get a star or a horrible bust

Mr. Stiller
12-08-2007, 01:10 PM
Otah is good but he has the largest margin of success to failure rate in the draft in my opinion. There's no real middle ground with him. I think you either get a star or a horrible bust

Thats my point. He's a gamble. He's raw, unrefined.. and may need a lot of work at the next level.

He's not overly fast straight line.. and if his lateral speed isn't there, he may be suited at RT in the pro's. He's a great run blocker and finishes his tackles, but.. thats not enough to get you drafted in the first.

Smokey Joe
12-08-2007, 01:50 PM
I think he's a perfect fit for the Rams if they are picking at about 10. He could play RT if Pace comes back healthy, or if Pace gets injured again, he can shift over to LT.

Another guy, if he comes out, who would be a great fit for the Rams, IMO, would be Max Unger in the 2nd. Plays C for Oregon but can also be shifted to tackle or guard.

SuperKevin
12-08-2007, 01:51 PM
I think he's a perfect fit for the Rams if they are picking at about 10.

Problem is, what if Otah can't play LT? Alex Barron is entrenched at RT. It's a potential waste of a pick

DeathbyStat
12-08-2007, 05:12 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ejI-gUG_rhA

Watch for #76... (Plays LT in normal formations and RT in RB direct Snap formations)

Thank you sir

BamaFalcon59
12-08-2007, 05:33 PM
Nice video. He finishes blocks so well. Dominant.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-08-2007, 05:37 PM
He's really struggled against speed rushers this year, which leads me to believe that he's aways from being considered an NFL left tackle. He certainly has size and potential, but I can only really see him being taken seriously as a right tackle as of right now.

BamaFalcon59
12-08-2007, 05:44 PM
Hid block at :13 is outstanding. Great pull and finish of the block; then the block on McCoy's long touchdown run is great as well. Because he finished that block the play gos from 3 yards to over 60.

TankGiant
12-09-2007, 02:14 AM
I think he is very good but it seems like he gets pushed back alot on the initially contact.

D-Unit
12-09-2007, 03:36 AM
Huh? He didn't allow a sack to Selvie and Selvie only ended up with 2 tackles on the day.

D-Unit
12-09-2007, 03:37 AM
He's really struggled against speed rushers this year, which leads me to believe that he's aways from being considered an NFL left tackle. He certainly has size and potential, but I can only really see him being taken seriously as a right tackle as of right now.
Out of curiosity who and which games are you talking about?

Paranoidmoonduck
12-09-2007, 04:23 AM
Out of curiosity who and which games are you talking about?

Despite the lack of a sack, I didn't really like the way Otah handled Selvie. He lost balance way to quickly and often had to lunge to keep Selvie from blowing past him. Jonal Saint-Dic give Otah fits early in the season. Jamaal Westerman got by Otah more than a few times. He even looked a bit off balance when Angelo Craig went up against him a few times in that Cincinatti game.

I like Otah's mentality and size, but I really don't see the kind of pass blocking you want in a elite left tackle prospect. Not to say that he's entirely beyond convincing people he can play on the left side at the pro level, but I don't think he's done much to prove he can this season.

OzTitan
12-09-2007, 05:14 AM
What about OG? Could he make his mark on the NFL inside?

Jonny
12-09-2007, 10:15 AM
Huh? He didn't allow a sack to Selvie and Selvie only ended up with 2 tackles on the day.

Selvie was abusing him, and I've seen Otah abused by other speed rushers too. You can't go by the stat lines. The QB had no time to throw at all that game because of Selvie. He was forced into rushing everything.

He could play OG fine, but he's really a RT.

Mr. Stiller
12-09-2007, 12:54 PM
Despite the lack of a sack, I didn't really like the way Otah handled Selvie. He lost balance way to quickly and often had to lunge to keep Selvie from blowing past him. Jonal Saint-Dic give Otah fits early in the season. Jamaal Westerman got by Otah more than a few times. He even looked a bit off balance when Angelo Craig went up against him a few times in that Cincinatti game.

I like Otah's mentality and size, but I really don't see the kind of pass blocking you want in a elite left tackle prospect. Not to say that he's entirely beyond convincing people he can play on the left side at the pro level, but I don't think he's done much to prove he can this season.

he has the lateral agility to do it, he needs a year or two of coaching IMO.

He's raw. I blieve he came from Nigeria.. Played his Sr. year of HS, 2 years of JuCo and 2 at Pitt.

With some technique work he could work his way into LT.

bearsfan_51
12-10-2007, 02:22 AM
What about OG? Could he make his mark on the NFL inside?
There are very few tackles in the NFL that can't conceivably play guard (see: Robert Gallery, Leonard Davis). The problem (if you want to call it that) is that the draft pick is too high and the money too much to really justify making that move, at least longterm.

OzTitan
12-10-2007, 07:07 AM
But if we were to presume his value is late 1st ish, that's well into the area where a good OG could get picked.

Most teams seem to value RT/OG pretty much the same anyway. I mean the draft placement for an OT who doesn't project well to LT is typically the same as OG and sometimes I think these guys would be better off just staying inside and then, if the team deems it fit, maybe try him outside as he grasps the NFL game further - except it seems to happen the other way around more.

Nick22401
12-10-2007, 07:32 AM
Otah needs some time to develop but he will be a dang good prospect. I do think this is a pretty typical case though where someone mentions him, then so many others jump on the bandwagon he starts to get a bit overvalued.

People are sleeping on McGlynn too. I think he will be a heck of a guard prospect.

bearsfan_51
12-10-2007, 12:52 PM
But if we were to presume his value is late 1st ish, that's well into the area where a good OG could get picked.

Most teams seem to value RT/OG pretty much the same anyway. I mean the draft placement for an OT who doesn't project well to LT is typically the same as OG and sometimes I think these guys would be better off just staying inside and then, if the team deems it fit, maybe try him outside as he grasps the NFL game further - except it seems to happen the other way around more.
I think Otah will end up a top 20, probably top 15 pick, so late 1st is stretching it.

Vikes99ej
12-12-2007, 11:32 PM
I'd like to see him on the right side of our offensive line.

Mr. Stiller
12-12-2007, 11:54 PM
I think Otah will end up a top 20, probably top 15 pick, so late 1st is stretching it.

I don't know. He has combine, Pro day and visits. If he's really raw, he could fall. I know he's not going to put in a good 40 time. And Theres rumors that he has to be really pushed in the weight room.