PDA

View Full Version : Kerney a FA

America
02-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Falcons | Kerney voiding final two years of contract
Mon, 19 Feb 2007 17:33:44 -0800

ESPNews reports Atlanta Falcons DE Patrick Kerney has voided the final two years of his contract. He will now be an unrestricted free agent this offseason.

Maybe the Redskins sign him?

Hines
02-19-2007, 08:32 PM
if he does sign with the skins
they will still suck

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
02-19-2007, 08:33 PM
Meanwhile...

Denver Broncos fans await in eager anticipation.

dcrls
02-19-2007, 08:37 PM
lions should go after him

lsantaoe
02-19-2007, 09:08 PM
:D :D :D

We weren't dumb enough to tag him :D

He is a guy who gives 100%, but he shouldn't make over 7 mil a year (was over 8.5 tagging him), if that. Probably a little over 6 per.

Shiver
02-19-2007, 09:27 PM
He still may be Franchised, between now and Free Agency. Though, I hope we don't. He isn't worth it. He is only marginal against the run, has regressed as a pass rusher, is thirty years old, coming off of an injury. If we commit that much cap space, via a tag, into him, I would be furious. I would rather let him go, sign a few key Free Agents on the O-Line, WR, DB, instead. While taking a Defensive End in this deep draft for that position.

dlions20
02-19-2007, 09:31 PM
the browns should sign him to play QB, he might start.

princefielder28
02-19-2007, 09:40 PM
somebody will pay him money b/c there's too many teams that need a quality DE

Splat
02-19-2007, 09:41 PM
If they don't tag him he will go to Denver IMO.

Shiver
02-19-2007, 09:47 PM
If they don't tag him he will go to Denver IMO.

I agree.

Shiver
02-19-2007, 10:03 PM
Deadline near for Falcons DE Kerney

By STEVE WYCHE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 02/20/07

Falcons defensive end Patrick Kerney plans to void the remaining two years of his contract — he's owed $13.8 million — next week, making him an unrestricted free agent, according to his co-representative, Rich Rosa.

Beginning today, Kerney has a week to opt out of his deal, which he is expected to do, although he probably won't rush. According to Rosa, he wants to work out a new deal with the Falcons, who drafted him in the first round out of Virginia in 1999.

The Falcons and the eight-year veteran have been working on a contract extension for months. Both sides said they want to work out a deal, but with a limited number of pending top free-agent defensive ends set to hit the open market, Kerney could be in high demand if he is not signed by the start of free agency on March 2.

"He wants to give them every opportunity to re-sign him," Rosa said.

Another reason for Kerney's lack of immediacy to void his contract could be to let Thursday's franchise tag deadline expire. The Falcons could slap the franchise label on Kerney, taking him off the market by tendering him a one-year deal of about $8.6 million — the average salary of the five highest-paid defensive ends in the NFL.

If Kerney voids his contract after Thursday, the Falcons would not be able to stop him from becoming an unrestricted free agent.

If it chose to franchise Kerney, Atlanta would consume much of its projected $10 million in salary-cap space for the 2007 season unless it releases some players and/or reworks the contracts of others. By working out a long-term deal, the Falcons could spread out the salary-cap implications of all bonus money over the length of the contract and retain financial flexibility.

Kerney missed the final seven games of last season after suffering a torn chest muscle that required season-ending surgery. The injury, from which he is expected to fully recover before training camp, ended his streak of consecutive games played at 105.

A 2004 Pro Bowl selection, Kerney (6 feet 5, 273 pounds) has 58 sacks and 270 tackles in his career.

Good, no franchise tag for Patrick Kerney. Either it's long term, or he goes. That is good, for both sides.

toonsterwu
02-19-2007, 10:32 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Kerney go to Washington. He's from Jersey, went to school at UVA. If he's willing to consider a move to a 3-4 OLB role, that would open things up a lot more, with the Jets perhaps taking a peek, along with the Browns and others. Used in situational purposes, I think he'd be solid.

cunningham06
02-19-2007, 10:32 PM
I doubt they can afford him, last time I checked the Redskins were going to be over the salary cap for this season, depending on who they cut maybe though.

toonsterwu
02-19-2007, 10:34 PM
I doubt they can afford him, last time I checked the Redskins were going to be over the salary cap for this season, depending on who they cut maybe though.

Well, first things first. The Skins will clear out room to resign Dockery and then make a run at Clements/London Fletcher-Baker.

The other thing to consider is that Kerney isn't likely to get a huge base salary coming off injury.

America
02-19-2007, 10:36 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Kerney go to Washington. He's from Jersey, went to school at UVA. If he's willing to consider a move to a 3-4 OLB role, that would open things up a lot more, with the Jets perhaps taking a peek, along with the Browns and others. Used in situational purposes, I think he'd be solid.

I could see Washington signing him even if they didn't have the money. They do that sort of stuff. But I don't see him in a 3-4 OLB role. He's a pure 4-3 end. I see him in WAS, DEN, SF(if they go 4-3) if he doesnt resign in ATL with a much less lucrative deal.

toonsterwu
02-19-2007, 10:38 PM
I don't know how Kerney is coming off injury, but when he was younger, he was an excellent athlete who would've made a solid 3-4 OLB, in my opinion (on a side note, he was recruited to UVA for lacrosse, and then got onto football). But that said, he's coming off injury, and that's a big unknown.

America
02-19-2007, 10:40 PM
I don't know how Kerney is coming off injury, but when he was younger, he was an excellent athlete who would've made a solid 3-4 OLB, in my opinion (on a side note, he was recruited to UVA for lacrosse, and then got onto football). But that said, he's coming off injury, and that's a big unknown.

True true, and he's 31, and has naturally bulked up some. If Greg Ellis at his age could do it, then I probably shouldn't doubt Kerney.

Shiver
02-19-2007, 10:43 PM
He didn't do well in the 3-4 defense, and he complained about it. I don't think he would go to a team, that implements the 3-4 front.

HawkeyeFan
02-19-2007, 10:52 PM
Rams will make a push for him.

Anyways does he have anything left in the tank? Would a combo and Kerney/Little be effective?

Shiver
02-19-2007, 10:56 PM
He is thirty, coming off of a major injury, with two poor seasons in a row... He is a relentless worker, he will be in good shape, but I don't see him being worth what he will make on the open market.

KCJ58
02-19-2007, 11:28 PM
The Rams will sign him and that will be that :D :D :D

zoinks
02-19-2007, 11:57 PM
Titans are looking for a DE big time....

Caddy
02-20-2007, 12:11 AM
Tampa need to look at him. With White possibly leaving through FA and Rice's huge contract DE is a need

bigbluedefense
02-20-2007, 10:57 AM
He still may be Franchised, between now and Free Agency. Though, I hope we don't. He isn't worth it. He is only marginal against the run, has regressed as a pass rusher, is thirty years old, coming off of an injury. If we commit that much cap space, via a tag, into him, I would be furious. I would rather let him go, sign a few key Free Agents on the O-Line, WR, DB, instead. While taking a Defensive End in this deep draft for that position.

Victor Abriamiri in a Falcon uniform? He would be a nice fit in that speed defense.

TitanHope
02-20-2007, 05:31 PM
I hope the Redskins or Rams sign him...

..that way a top DE can fall to the Titans in the draft.

*Crosses fingers, knocks on wood, and throws a nickel in a well*

Sveen
02-20-2007, 06:06 PM
Falcons defensive end Patrick Kerney plans to void the remaining two years of his contract - he's owed $13.8 million - next week, making him an unrestricted free agent, according to his co-representative, Rich Rosa. Kerney has a week to opt out of his deal, which he is expected to do, although he probably won't rush. According to Rosa, he wants to work out a new deal with the Falcons.
-- Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Shiver
02-21-2007, 12:32 AM

Victor Abriamiri in a Falcon uniform? He would be a nice fit in that speed defense.

I think, now that Kerney is unlikely to be in Red & Black, then the team has two immediate needs, that is LDE, as well as FS. That is, new starters are required. Though depth at Defensive Tackle, and Cornerback, is also needed. Now that I think about it, I want any D-Lineman in the first round. That is Rich McKay's M.O, I fully expect a D-Lineman in round one, he is fully content on finding steals at LB, CB, S in the mid-rounds. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Amobi Okoye is re-united with his HC, and position coach.

yourfavestoner
02-21-2007, 01:52 AM

I think, now that Kerney is unlikely to be in Red & Black, then the team has two immediate needs, that is LDE, as well as FS. That is, new starters are required. Though depth at Defensive Tackle, and Cornerback, is also needed. Now that I think about it, I want any D-Lineman in the first round. That is Rich McKay's M.O, I fully expect a D-Lineman in round one, he is fully content on finding steals at LB, CB, S in the mid-rounds. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Amobi Okoye is re-united with his HC, and position coach.

Hm..if Okoye stays slimmed down, he could very easily play LDE in a 4-3, much like Tommie Harris was coming out of Oklahoma.

Shiver
02-21-2007, 01:55 AM
I think, at his age, he is most likely to add weight. I think by the time his body fills out, he will be in the 310-range. Either way, point stands, the Falcons need youth and depth on the D-Line. Blowing all the money on a thirty year old, with declining production, wasn't the way to go.

D-Rod
02-21-2007, 08:09 AM

If they could get him in the 2nd, that would work nicely. But Abiamiri isn't really a base LDE - IMO - which is the hole Kerney would leave.

Possible replacements:

#10: Carricker, Anderson, CJ
#44: Crowder, McDonald, Alama-Francis

Kerney is very replaceable in this draft, which is why I would hate to see them spend $8mill on him. We have far greater holes needing FA filling.

D-Rod
02-21-2007, 08:14 AM
Before this dog stuff - and jumping to judgment is ridiculous - there was some talk of Babineaux moving to LDE. I'd rather keep him at UT, where he is becoming an impact player, but it might be an option to draft Okoye, then see in camp which of them are better suited to moving to LDE.

Charles Grant has played LDE at over 300 for the past few years, so I suspect that Okoye could do it. He also has the pass rush moves to make it work, with a little adjustment.

A 3rd down front four of Okoye (or Anderson/Carricker etc), Coleman, Babs and Abraham would be sick.

asmitty45
02-21-2007, 07:26 PM
Id love to see the Lions make a run at him. It would allow us to pick Thomas or Quinn with little hesitation

niel89
02-21-2007, 08:53 PM
Meanwhile...

Denver Broncos fans await in eager anticipation.

go broncos

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Broncos-likely-to-pursue-Kerney?urn=nfl,24536

Shiver
02-21-2007, 08:57 PM
He is going to try to cash one last big pay-check. If Denver wants him, they will have to pony up.

Shiver
02-23-2007, 04:48 PM
Excellent write-up from CBS

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10009898

Patrick Kerney, DE, Atlanta

Kerney is expected to void the final two years of his contract, making him a free agent if he doesn't re-sign with Atlanta. So far, he hasn't, and if Kerney hits the market he will be in demand. One reason is that he's a good player at a critical position. The question potential suitors must ask themselves is: Can he be a great player? He's coming off a pectoral injury that shortened his 2006 season. And he will be 31 in December. That's not a good combination.

When he's right, Kerney is one of the top pass rushers in the business, but do you really want to invest mega-millions in a 30-year-old coming off a serious injury? The Falcons don't, and they're interested in re-signing Kerney -- but only at the right price.

Kerney scares off some suitors who worry about him breaking down despite a string of 105 straight games that was broken last season. Kerney is a high-effort, play-hard kind of guy, but as one scout said, "Do you really want to pay for a motor? I always worry about the guys I think are a little underweight."

With Dwight Freeney and Justin Smith off the market, Kerney is at or near the top of the class of defensive ends. But buyers beware. "When I look at Patrick Kerney," said one scout, "I see a terrific athlete who wears down as the season goes on and who defenders start to handle. He's had some productivity, but I'd think twice before paying him a lot of money." Apparently, so would Atlanta.

I agree wholeheartedly with this assessment. He is a liability against the run, as the season goes along. He is thirty, coming off of an injury. I will not shed any tears when he goes out trying to get (over-) payed.

etk
02-23-2007, 05:35 PM
A lot of teams could sign him, but the Bucs should pursue him at the very least. I doubt we will get him but expect some interest to go along with the obvious teams (Skins, Broncs, Rams, etc.)

Shiver
02-23-2007, 06:23 PM
According to Adam Schefter, he is looking for 8$ Million per season.. :shock: No wonder Atlanta won't resign him.

bearsfan_51
02-23-2007, 06:25 PM
According to Adam Schefter, he is looking for 8$ Million per season.. :shock: No wonder Atlanta won't resign him.
Well if he voided the last two years of his contract worth 7 mil per year I'd say it's pretty obvious he thinks he can make more than that, or at least get a new signing bonus that will compensate.

Shiver
02-23-2007, 06:29 PM
Well, he was already being overpaid.. With so few Defensive talents, with so much money available, he will probably get it from some desperate team.

bearsfan_51
02-23-2007, 06:30 PM
Well, he was already being overpaid.. With so few Defensive talents, with so much money available, he will probably get it from some desperate team.
:lol:
It's only funny because you're placing the Falcons outside of the boundaries of desperate team.

bigbluedefense
02-23-2007, 06:33 PM
It's only funny because you're placing the Falcons outside of the boundaries of desperate team.

Why would they be desperate? They'll trade Schaub this season for a 2nd rounder most likely, and with that pick they can get a guy like Abriamiri and not miss a beat.

I think their other issues are overblown.

bearsfan_51
02-23-2007, 06:39 PM

Why would they be desperate? They'll trade Schaub this season for a 2nd rounder most likely, and with that pick they can get a guy like Abriamiri and not miss a beat.

They aren't desperate for a pass-rush (assuming Abraham can stay healthy, which is a pretty big assumption) but I think in general they are a franchise desperate for something postive to happen. Arthur Blank has poured a lot of money into that franchise and Mike Vick and they are the same historically bad/mediocre franchise that they've always been.

Shiver
02-23-2007, 06:47 PM
The Falcons under Blank, are night and day, in contrast to the old management. Were they desperate last year? I think so. They threw around money, picks, to acquire top tier talent. This year, the team is going to build via the draft.

bigbluedefense
02-23-2007, 06:48 PM

They aren't desperate for a pass-rush (assuming Abraham can stay healthy, which is a pretty big assumption) but I think in general they are a franchise desperate for something postive to happen. Arthur Blank has poured a lot of money into that franchise and Mike Vick and they are the same historically bad/mediocre franchise that they've always been.

Well...its pretty simple when you think about it. Their season rests with Vick. We'll know alot about Michael Vick this season. No more excuses. Put up or shut up. If Vick fails, you can say that their past 7 years has been unsuccessful as a whole because of Vicks inability to take his game to the next level. Im not ready to say that yet, Im giving him this next year to prove himself.

Shiver
02-23-2007, 06:54 PM
Next year will prove, which Michael Vick is the real one. The promising, deadly, Quarterback who played in Dan Reeves' vertical passing attack. Of which, he was a top-10 passer according to Football Outsiders' metrics. Or the sub-par Quarterback who struggled in Greg Knapp's hybrid-WCO, and ranked below average in those same metrics.

Wait...

How does every single Falcons thread turn into another Michael Vick thread? If I started talking about Michael Boley, who I adore. It would still end up about Vick, somehow. :lol:

niel89
02-24-2007, 12:57 AM
^ Falcons = Vick for most general purposes

Shiver
02-24-2007, 01:07 AM
Yeah I know, it's just strange how it somehow shows up out of no where, for no particular reason. :lol:

Poet3334
02-24-2007, 09:29 AM

Good call. That seems most logical to me. I don't believe they could justify paying Kearney tha money he wanted with the needs they still have anyway.

regoob2
02-25-2007, 12:43 AM
lions should go after him

that would save them drafting a DE in R2-R3