PDA

View Full Version : which jr's will declare but shouldnt

foozball
12-08-2007, 04:20 PM
there are always juniors who declare and fall farther than they ever thought they would. like charles johnson and brandon siler. which juniors will declare when they need to stay for another year?

Tampa 2 4 life
12-08-2007, 04:21 PM
My gut says Chase Daniel will declare since they're losing Rucker and some key D guys.

SuperKevin
12-08-2007, 04:22 PM
My gut says Chase Daniel will declare since they're losing both his TE's and some key D guys.

Who said that Missou is losing Junior TE Chase Coffman?

Tampa 2 4 life
12-08-2007, 04:24 PM
Who said that Missou is losing Junior TE Chase Coffman?

Ah crap, thought he was a Senior.

etk
12-08-2007, 04:26 PM
Cornelius Ingram shouldn't declare but apparently he is. I think Calais Campbell would be better served if he returned, but maybe that's just the homer talking.

SuperKevin
12-08-2007, 04:37 PM
Here's my list of juniors I think declare in no order at all

QB
Cullen Harper

RB
Darren McFadden
Kevin Smith
Rashard Mendenhall
Ray Rice
Steve Slaton
James Davis

WR
Malcolm Kelly
DeSean Jackson
Dicky Lyons Jr
Earl Bennett
Davonne Bess
Brandon Gibson

TE
Cornelius Ingram
Martellus Bennett

OT
Ryan Clady
Phil Loadholt

OG
Duke Robinson

OC
Alex Mack

DE
Vernon Gholston
Derrick Harvey
Calais Campbell

DT
Peria Jerry

MLB
James Laurinaitis
Curtis Lofton
Jarod Mayo

OLB
Erin Henderson
Geno Hayes

CB
Malcolm Jenkins
Aqib Talib
Brandon Flowers
Mike Mickens

S
Kenny Phillips
Reggie Smith

12-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Cornelius Ingram shouldn't declare but apparently he is. I think Calais Campbell would be better served if he returned, but maybe that's just the homer talking.

i agree i think campbell will declare when clearly the better option is to stay another year and refine his still quite raw skills. some team will likely take a chance on him early if he does just because of the physical freak he is and the extreme potential he possesses. but yet again he could end up like quentin moses if he does come back so who knows whats really best for him.

DChess
12-08-2007, 04:44 PM
seeing as steve slaton sucked nuts this year he should stay but its the antonio pittman rule, if theres a better back than you whos younger, and hes going to get more carries, then leave

Hines
12-08-2007, 04:46 PM
i think justin king is gonna declare but he clearly needs one more year

DeathbyStat
12-08-2007, 05:09 PM
i think justin king is gonna declare but he clearly needs one more year

I agree, Justin is a much better athlete then he is a football player

Babylon
12-08-2007, 05:15 PM
Ah crap, thought he was a Senior.

Coffman has said he would test the waters then he got hurt towards the end of the season. If he comes up big in the bowl game he may declare but could probably go mid 1st next year as opposed to early to mid 2nd this year.

WildDude
12-08-2007, 06:05 PM
I dont think Ray Rice should but he probally will due to everyone around him telling him hes a first rounder which hes not

bearsfan_51
12-08-2007, 06:18 PM
Ray Rice wouldn't be a 1st rounder next year either, might as well declare now.

Phil Loadholt needs to stay another year.

keylime_5
12-08-2007, 06:25 PM
WLB Marcus Freeman of Ohio STate is probably gonna declare despite the fact that he knows he's a 2nd rounder at best, but probably a 3rd round pick. He has kids and needs money now.

badgerbacker
12-08-2007, 06:41 PM
There was an article in our school paper that said Beckum and Ikegwuonu were going to see what their draft grades were before making a decision. I have a feeling Beckum will end up declaring though.

Geo
12-08-2007, 07:01 PM
My gut says Chase Daniel will declare since they're losing Rucker and some key D guys.
I'd be surprised if he did, he loves to play the quarterback position and he's got the chance to do that for at least one more year in college, in a fun offense at Mizzou. Plus, staying another year helps him, if anything. Height is going to be an issue no matter what, sort of like with Chris Leak and Troy Smith, so he might as well stay and try to perfect his craft while trying to win a championship and strengthen his football legacy at Mizzou.

Ray Rice wouldn't be a 1st rounder next year either, might as well declare now.

Phil Loadholt needs to stay another year.
Spot on as usual 51, I agree with you on all counts. Even if every potential junior except for Rice declared this year, he'd still get ranked behind current sophomore backs next year. He should enter this year, hopefully get drafted into a great situation (Frank Gore was taken by San Fran with the first pick in the 3rd round, meanwhile Ronnie Brown, Cedric Benson, and Cadillac Williams were taken in the Top 5 in 2005), and show what he can do in the league.

volman88
12-08-2007, 07:14 PM
On sportscenter Chase Daniel was being interviewed and he did not directly say it, but he pretty much hinted that he would be returning.

etk
12-08-2007, 08:30 PM
i agree i think campbell will declare when clearly the better option is to stay another year and refine his still quite raw skills. some team will likely take a chance on him early if he does just because of the physical freak he is and the extreme potential he possesses. but yet again he could end up like quentin moses if he does come back so who knows whats really best for him.

Everything you said was correct, except I disagree with one thing. Drafting Calais Campbell is not "taking a chance". He's too big and powerful not to be at least a solid starter at LDE. The question for him is whether or not he will add to his arsenal and polish off his pass rushing skills. The sky's the limit for Calais, but he also has a very high floor because of his athleticism.

Cashmoney
12-08-2007, 08:47 PM
QB- Pat White, Ben Olsen
HB- Ray Rice, Andre Brown
WR- Dicky Lyons Jr, Mario Urrutia
TE- Travis Beckum, Cornelius Ingram
OL- Alex Boone, Alex Mack

scottyboy
12-08-2007, 08:53 PM
I'm not sure on Ray Ray. he's such a great kid, and hasnt made any inclination of leaning one way or the other. He'll start talking about it after the bowl game.

I dont know who the hell is telling Ray Ray he's a 1st rounder, but they should be shot. Do I think he should go #1 overal cuz he's uber sweet? of course. But realisticly, he'll go late 2nd-early 3rd round to a team who will get a complete steal in a possible Frank Gore type situation.

NYGibril28
12-08-2007, 08:54 PM
every Jr. Get an education first.

Travis 24
12-08-2007, 09:32 PM
Rice should declare...No point in risking everything with an injury next year, or another 350+ carries

VoteLynnSwan
12-08-2007, 09:36 PM
I'm not sure on Ray Ray. he's such a great kid, and hasnt made any inclination of leaning one way or the other. He'll start talking about it after the bowl game.

I dont know who the hell is telling Ray Ray he's a 1st rounder, but they should be shot. Do I think he should go #1 overal cuz he's uber sweet? of course. But realisticly, he'll go late 2nd-early 3rd round to a team who will get a complete steal in a possible Frank Gore type situation.

Frank Gore was a steal because he was constantly injured, not because he wasn't an ideal pro back like is the case with Rice.

Smokey Joe
12-08-2007, 09:40 PM
Ian Johnson, but he wouldn't be a 1st rounder this year or next so it really doesn't matter.

princefielder28
12-08-2007, 09:44 PM
There was an article in our school paper that said Beckum and Ikegwuonu were going to see what their draft grades were before making a decision. I have a feeling Beckum will end up declaring though.

That doesn't suprise me because both are near the top of the country at their specific position.....the only problem for Beckum may be whether teams project him as a TE or WR

ironman4579
12-08-2007, 10:01 PM
Rumblings around Ann Arbor are that both Adrian Arrington and Mario Manningham will declare. IMO, neither should. Manningham is not a polished receiver or NFL ready, and could certainly benefit from another year. Arrington is more NFL ready and polished, but if Manningham does leave, I think he'd be better off coming back and being able to showcase himself as the #1. Some team will fall in love with Manningham's speed and big play ability on the deep ball, so he should still go relatively high(like first day), but I could see Arrington falling quite a bit.

That said, with Mallett being the probable starter next year, both guys probably want get away from being overthrown by 10 yards on every play, so I can understand the decision.

josh07039
12-08-2007, 11:40 PM
I really think the situation should dictate whether Ray Rice comes out. If many of the other juniors come out like Slaton, Stewart, Jones, etc then he should consider another year. However, if a few of those other juniors decide to stay,I don't think it would be a bad decision. Personally, I would obviously like him to stay, but even if he does, in my opinion, make a mistake and come out with all the other juniors, I still can't blame the guy for not risking injury or a sub par season after losing 3 possible NFL caliber lineman.

BuddyCHRIST
12-08-2007, 11:46 PM
Frank Gore was a steal because he was constantly injured, not because he wasn't an ideal pro back like is the case with Rice.

to a point, but the fact that he had blown out both knees was a big concern because no one knew if he could ever return to being that ideal back. Not to mention, didnt Gore run a slow 40? I could be wrong, but I remember him being a bit of a reach where he was taken even.

josh07039
12-08-2007, 11:49 PM
Looking at google, it looks like Gore's 40 at his pro day way 4.58. On one site, it even says he ran a 4.65. I'm not sure which one is more accurate, but either way, hardly an exemplary 40 time.

Mr. Stiller
12-08-2007, 11:57 PM
Looking at google, it looks like Gore's 40 at his pro day way 4.58. On one site, it even says he ran a 4.65. I'm not sure which one is more accurate, but either way, hardly an exemplary 40 time.

Gore didn't run at the Combine.

He weighed in at 5'9 210lbs..

At his pro day:

40: 4.58
Vert: 34"
Broad: 9' 1"
Shuttle: 4.11
3-Cone: 6.91

jballa838
12-09-2007, 01:14 AM
Ian Johnson, but he wouldn't be a 1st rounder this year or next so it really doesn't matter.
You can't develop vision, you either have it or you dont. and Johnson has it. If it all came down to athleticism Ryan Leaf would have been to the pro bowl numerous times and Tony Mandarich would be known as the greatest ever. Johnson is a proven winner and he is consistant and was really their only weapon on offense this year, opposed to the great WRs they had last year on the team drawing guys away from the line.
Simply put he has intangibles, which is key for running backs

Travis 24
12-09-2007, 07:54 AM

..and you know what makes an ideal pro-back? Well, Rice can certainly block, catch the ball out of the backfield..and we all know he can run the ball...a lot..and break a ton of tackles. I'm not sure what makes Rice a non-ideal back..........

scottyboy
12-09-2007, 08:52 AM

why is Ray Ray not an ideal back? Now he doesnt have an injury situation that'd bring him down in the draft, but his amount of carries will. not the same situation, but similar

etk
12-09-2007, 09:18 AM
why is Ray Ray not an ideal back?

Frank Gore has ideal pro size, quickness and explosion. He's a powerful runner that can move pretty well. Ray Ray is a bit undersized and not as athletic. They are similar backs but Gore has better size and athleticism, which makes him much better of a runner overall. If Rice gains 5-10 pounds and puts up good shuttle and 3-cone times like Gore did, he just might change some opinions.

Jonny
12-09-2007, 10:11 AM
Rice doesn't need to gain any weight. This kid runs like he's Brandon Jacobs.

His lack of top end speed will hurt him. That's the main flaw in his game.

12-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Rice doesn't need to gain any weight. This kid runs like he's Brandon Jacobs.

His lack of top end speed will hurt him. That's the main flaw in his game.

im not worried about him not having the so-called top end speed. curtis martin, corey dillon, eddie george,etc. were able to be very durable and productive RBs at the next level for many years without it which is why i expect ray rice and kevin smith to be very successful once they enter the league. i expect both to be mid-round steals wherever they go.

P-L
12-09-2007, 12:06 PM
..and you know what makes an ideal pro-back? Well, Rice can certainly block, catch the ball out of the backfield..and we all know he can run the ball...a lot..and break a ton of tackles. I'm not sure what makes Rice a non-ideal back..........
Same reason Mike Hart is not an "ideal back."

- Small
- Slow
- Heavy workload

TACKLE
12-09-2007, 12:30 PM
The two guys that come to mind are DeSean Jackson and Felix Jones. DeSean struggled this year partly because of his QB and he would dissapear from games. He is only averaging 62yards/per but his QB situation may improve next year. He probably declare but I think he will slide because it takes more than a good 40 time to be a high draft pick.

Felix Jones had another great year spliting carries with DMAC. If he come out of McFadden's shadow and can have a productive year being "the guy" he would definitely be a high pick. The combo of production, speed, and smaller workload could push him into the Top 20 in 2009.

BUTerriers
12-09-2007, 12:45 PM
I agree with Loadholt...I think with his size and skills he will be a 1st-2nd rounder, but if he proves himself at the college level for another year, he could be a Top 5 selection.

Travis 24
12-09-2007, 01:09 PM
Same reason Mike Hart is not an "ideal back."

- Small
- Slow
- Heavy workload

You never saw Rutgers play before..

SuperKevin
12-09-2007, 01:28 PM

Yes he has. Ray Rice isn't a "special" back. he's not going to wow anyone with his measurables. With that said, he still could be a solid NFL RB though

P-L
12-09-2007, 01:31 PM
You're also one of the biggest homers on this board. So, I don't take anything you say seriously.

Mr. Stiller
12-09-2007, 01:55 PM
5'9 195lbs 4.5 speed.

scottyboy
12-09-2007, 03:19 PM

thats dumb. You cant ignore facts. Is Ray Ray small? yes. Has he had an extremly heavy workload? yes. Now his speed isnt "elite" but his bursts and quickness make up for that IMO. but he is right on those 1st 2 accuonts...

B-Dawk
12-09-2007, 03:21 PM
i see ray rice as a duce staley kind of running back in the nfl

scottyboy
12-09-2007, 03:30 PM
i see ray rice as a duce staley kind of running back in the nfl

ewwwww i hope not. I'm aiming a bit higher than that

Travis 24
12-09-2007, 03:33 PM
Yes he has. Ray Rice isn't a "special" back. he's not going to wow anyone with his measurables. With that said, he still could be a solid NFL RB though

He's not small..and he's not slow. So he's wrong. 5'9" 195?...If you believe that, you are on drugs.

How am I a homer?...I just don't like when people make things up and pretend its true...Your post count doesn't determine how much you know..fyi.

scottyboy
12-09-2007, 03:34 PM
He's not small..and he's not slow. So he's wrong. 5'9" 195?...If you believe that, you are on drugs.

How am I a homer?...I just don't like when people make things up and pretend its true...Your post count doesn't determine how much you know..fyi.

dude, 5'9 is small for a high school kid, let alone an NFL RB. Do i personally think it'll affect him in the pros? nope. But is it a fact he's smaller than the average back? yea

Vikes99ej
12-09-2007, 03:59 PM

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/vikes99ej/ShutUpYouFac128417110367615000.jpg

Tampa 2 4 life
12-09-2007, 04:11 PM
Ray Rice will be comparable to Thomas Jones in the pros. If you have a line in front of him, he's great, if not...

foozball
12-09-2007, 04:27 PM
its not so much his height that is a problem, but you dont see many RB's under 210lbs much less 200lbs in the NFL

Geo
12-09-2007, 04:29 PM
I like Ray Rice, I think he's a good pro prospect. I'm looking forward to seeing where he lands.

bearsfan_51
12-09-2007, 04:33 PM
On sportscenter Chase Daniel was being interviewed and he did not directly say it, but he pretty much hinted that he would be returning.

Hahaha....

Looks like the Arena League is going to have to wait one more year.

Vikes99ej
12-09-2007, 04:37 PM
Hahaha....

That makes me sad, but I know it's true :( I like Chase Daniel

Travis 24
12-09-2007, 04:38 PM
Ray Rice isn't under 200..probably around 210

Eh, can't get through to some people..they have an imprint left in their head of what every player must be like despite being wrong, but won't let you tell them they are wrong...whatever

foozball
12-09-2007, 05:38 PM
first of all, ray rice is listed at 195lbs. now he may have gained some weight, but he's still going to be considered undersized compared to other running backs

second of all, maurice jones drew is 210lbs...ray rice's build is nowhere near MJD. the guy is built like a tank...ray rice is like a hummer h3. ray rice is somewhere around 200lbs, 205lbs at most.

josh07039
12-09-2007, 06:22 PM
If you stand next to Ray Rice, you will know that he is not small. Short is very different than small. Looking at him without pads Id have to say he may be close to 210. Every time a former nfl guy that is an analyst sees him, he always says how unbelievably impressive Ray's build is and how he is just a tank. Also, i think the Thomas Jones comparison is the closest one I've heard for him.

Vikes99ej
12-09-2007, 06:24 PM
Rutgers fans are starting to annoy me almost as much as Steelers fans.

Travis 24
12-09-2007, 06:38 PM
Rice is listed at 5'9" 205, and I'd probably say he's more like 210+

I'm not sure why people think Rice is thin or something...lol..the guy is built like a freakin ox.

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2007/09/07/ricex.jpg

Hines
12-09-2007, 06:40 PM
I like Rice, but in this draft and in next years draft, there are players better then him..

wvfan14
12-09-2007, 06:57 PM
Slaton probably won't leave early. He already said if it takes two years to win a championship, he'll stay.

Vikes99ej
12-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Rice is listed at 5'9" 205, and I'd probably say he's more like 210+

I'm not sure why people think Rice is thin or something...lol..the guy is built like a freakin ox.

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2007/09/07/ricex.jpg

Wanna know who's REALLY built like an ox?

Jonathan Stewart:

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper859/stills/5u7gud0d.jpg

scottyboy
12-09-2007, 07:07 PM
Rutgers fans are starting to annoy me almost as much as Steelers fans.

hey, i havent been too bad in this thread!!

and to how he's built, yea Ray Ray is jacked and very strong, and his thighs are HUGE. such nice thighs.... no ****...?

but he's a little short and runs for power which smaller backs dont normally do

Jonny
12-09-2007, 07:14 PM
Rice is 5'7. He's really built though. I think his size will actually help him.

All Rutgers fans don't necessarily agree about everything. I will root for Rice in the NFL but very much understand his limitations.

etk
12-09-2007, 08:22 PM
Hahaha....

Replace Arena League with Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Chase will be running the league if he gets drafted into our offense.

Smokey Joe
12-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Darrius Heyward-Bay, rSo, I think will declare even though he needs another season, at least.

lod01
12-10-2007, 07:35 AM
Rice should declare...No point in risking everything with an injury next year, or another 350+ carries

The #1 reason he should leave. They will wear him out if he stays.

Ray Rice is a Frank Gore clone. A little tank. Frank could not take it to the house last year and worked on his speed for this year. Too bad the rest of that team doesn't try...including the OC.

oh, and size is meaningless:

Emmitt Smith: 5-9 207 and alltime yardage and TD leader.
Barry Sanders: 5-8 203 and if he did not retire, the alltime yardage leader

Your best longterm backs are the shorter ones. Between 5-8 and 5-11, low to the ground....like Ray Rice.

Heck, Warrick Dunn has had a long career and 10000 yards at 5-8 172.

Iamcanadian
12-10-2007, 08:07 AM
Every junior who has a legit shot as a 1st or 2nd rounder should declare. The risk of injury is too great to return to college. They have trained to be professional athleters all their lives and deserve to be millionaires for it but it is just plain stupid to risk it all to play another season of college football and see it go all down the drain if they get injured. The odds are about 10% that they will get a serious injury which can ruin their career or have an off season and get drafted lower.
They should always strike when the iron is hot and get their money. An education can always be gotten later. People go to school to prepare for a job and if the pros consider them ready then take the job and worry about the rest of your education later.
Leinart and Quinn were 2 examples of players who returned to school for no pressing reason and didn't strike when the iron was hot, the result cost each of them somewhere between 20 and 25 million dollars in guaranteed money and another 30 million in possible earnings. Do you really think that it was a smart career move.

Cashmoney
12-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Every junior who has a legit shot as a 1st or 2nd rounder should declare. The risk of injury is too great to return to college. They have trained to be professional athleters all their lives and deserve to be millionaires for it but it is just plain stupid to risk it all to play another season of college football and see it go all down the drain if they get injured. The odds are about 10% that they will get a serious injury which can ruin their career or have an off season and get drafted lower.
They should always strike when the iron is hot and get their money. An education can always be gotten later. People go to school to prepare for a job and if the pros consider them ready then take the job and worry about the rest of your education later.
Leinart and Quinn were 2 examples of players who returned to school for no pressing reason and didn't strike when the iron was hot, the result cost each of them somewhere between 20 and 25 million dollars in guaranteed money and another 30 million in possible earnings. Do you really think that it was a smart career move.

Who cares? If that's what they enjoy, and they arent personally ready to go then what does it matter to you how much money they lost. Ever heard of the saying growing up to fast? youre right people can go back to college later but can these guys go back and play college football when they come back later? nope.

Smokey Joe
12-10-2007, 06:35 PM
Oh yeah, I see Davone Bess, WR Hawaii, declaring since Brennan will be gone. Probably the right move though, since his production would go down and he'd be a 3rd rounder at best next year anyway. I see him going in the 4th round this year unless a lot of Juniors don't declare.

Bengals1690
12-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Jenkins, Gholston, and Laurinitus :)

Travis 24
12-10-2007, 07:59 PM
Oh yeah, I see Davone Bess, WR Hawaii, declaring since Brennan will be gone. Probably the right move though, since his production would go down and he'd be a 3rd rounder at best next year anyway. I see him going in the 4th round this year unless a lot of Juniors don't declare.

I was always impressed by Bess whenever I saw Hawaii...He kinda reminds me a bit of Randle El, and Santonio Holmes..although not quite as fast..

LonghornsLegend
12-10-2007, 08:04 PM
Im still not sure if Felix Jones leaves with McFadden or stays to dominate his senior year, either way he needs to come to Dallas

etk
12-10-2007, 10:19 PM
I was always impressed by Bess whenever I saw Hawaii...He kinda reminds me a bit of Randle El, and Santonio Holmes..although not quite as fast..

Bess reminds me of Randle El because he's quick and has hops, and he has more experience at the position coming out of college. There's no freaking way he falls to the 4th round.

12-10-2007, 10:24 PM
its safe to say bess can go anywhere right now from a late 2nd to early 3rd.

Smokey Joe
12-10-2007, 10:37 PM
Bess reminds me of Randle El because he's quick and has hops, and he has more experience at the position coming out of college. There's no freaking way he falls to the 4th round.
call me crazy, but I don't see teams falling in love with his 4.6 speed.

He's a slot receiver at best, IMO.

etk
12-10-2007, 11:10 PM
call me crazy, but I don't see teams falling in love with his 4.6 speed.

He's a slot receiver at best, IMO.

It says 4.57 on his nfldraftscout page, but that seems a bit ridiculous. Anyone who's seen Bess play will praise him on his speed and acceleration. He plays 4.4 and that's what I'd expect him to run at the combines when he's eligible. Here we go again with the Jordy Nelson 40 time debates...

Sniper
12-10-2007, 11:50 PM
It says 4.57 on his nfldraftscout page, but that seems a bit ridiculous. Anyone who's seen Bess play will praise him on his speed and acceleration. He plays 4.4 and that's what I'd expect him to run at the combines when he's eligible. Here we go again with the Jordy Nelson 40 time debates...

Jordy Nelson runs a 2.73 40.

Geo
12-10-2007, 11:57 PM
Is that with the wind or against?

SuperKevin
12-11-2007, 12:07 AM
Is that with the wind or against?

Against the wind. Uphill. In sand. Running backwards

foozball
12-11-2007, 12:08 AM
Against the wind. Uphill. In sand. Running backwards

wearing highheels