PDA

View Full Version : TACKLE this mock - v1.0

TACKLE
12-09-2007, 01:03 PM
This is my first mock of the year. I have left out all Junior O-Lineman because they usually don't come out early. I also left Calais Campbell and Jack Ikegwuonu because I expect them both to stay for their senior year. I would really appreciate your input and opinions. Enjoy.

1. Miami Dolphins - DARREN MCFADDEN*, RB, ARKANSAS

The Dolphins are pathetic. Dorsey fills the biggest need here but isnít going to turn the Dolphins around. They have bigger needs then RB right now but McFadden is the best player in the draft and in college football. With Ronnie Brown coming off a torn ACL, he might not be 100% coming into the season. He can split carries with DMAC so he wonít have to carry the same load. It would really help ďyoungĒ QB Jon Beck if he can have a great running attack to take pressure off him. . If Ronnie isnít healthy they could trade him. If Ronnie is fine for the season, having McFadden and Ronnie Brown in the same backfield could help turn the franchise around.

2. New England Patriots (from San Fran) Ė JAKE LONG, OT, MICHIGAN

The O-line unit was outstanding at the beginning of the year but now is having some struggles. The Pats O-Line is getting older and they need some youth. Long could come in play right away at RT and eventually could take over at LT for the 32-year old Matt Light. Gholston and Laurenitas fill a bigger need but donít have good value here; though I do expect the Pats to trade down.

3. Atlanta Falcons Ė MATT RYAN, QB, BOSTON COLLEGE

Falcons need a QB here badly. Petrino probably wants his Brohm but Matt Ryan has all the physical tools you look for to go along with his great production and intangibles. Petrino will put his personal feelings aside and go with the best player at the biggest position of need.

4. St.Louis Rams - GLENN DORSEY, DT, LSU

The Rams go with the BPA who will make a big impact in the middle of their D. Carriker was drafted last year but Dorsey can play Nose and Under Tackle in the 4-3. There are talks that Rams may move to a 3-4 and Dorsey could bulk and play NT.

5. New York Jets Ė CHRIS LONG, DE, VIRGINIA

Easiest pick in the draft. The Jets really need a 3-4 DE and Chris Long is a perfect fit. He played that position in college and he will bring the pass rush that the Jets are lacking.

6. Kansas City Chiefs Ė JEFF OTAH, OT, PITTSBURG

I really like Otah. He is a monster at 6í6 340 and is dominant in the run game. He has great feet for a guy his size. The Chiefs line has never been the same since Roaf and Shields left. Otah fits the Chiefs offence well and will be opening big holes for LJ for many years.

7. Cincinnati Bengals - SEDRICK ELLIS, DT, USC

Itís no secret that the Bengals defense is a mess. Ellis is a beast whose motor never stops. He can help the run defense and be an effective pass-rusher. 8.5 sacks show that. It wouldnít surprise me if Ellis jumped ahead of Dorsey come April.

8. Baltimore Ravens Ė ANDREí WOODSON, QB, KENTUCKY

The Ravens Passing game is non-existent. McNair has flopped in Baltimore and Kyle Boller shouldnít be a starting QB. Woodson has NFL size, a great arm, doesnít throw picks and a knack for making the big play when it matters most. Malcolm Jenkins is also an option.

9. Oakland Raiders - VERNON GHOLSTON*, DE, OHIO STATE

The Raiders D carried them last year but is struggling this year. They need some youth on the D-Line and Gholston is just what they need. He is a very talent pass rusher whoís had a great season. Al Davis will love his freakish abilities.

10. New Orleans Saints - MALCOLM JENKINS*, CB, OHIO STATE

Fred Thomas was garbage last year so they brought in Jason David. He hasnít looked any better. There whole D has struggled because teams pass the ball all over them. Jenkins can come in Day 1 and compete for a starting spot.

11. Houston Texans - JONATHAN STEWART*, RB, OREGON

Ahman Green went down early in the year and the running game hasnít been inconsistent all year. Ron Dayne has shown flashes but heíll never be the guy. Stewart came out of nowhere and had a great season but will also put on a show at the combine. Stewart has a great build at 5í10 230 and is rumored to run a 4.3. His power clean is also over 400lbs. Stewart is a physical freak.

12. Denver Broncos Ė KENNY PHILLIPS*, S, MIAMI

Denver has had some problems on D. Kenny Phillips is a very talented player who fills a big need for the Broncos and could help the Broncos have an elite secondary with Phillips, Champ and Dre Bly. This pick will really help Denver.

13. Washington Redskins - KENTWAN BALMER, DT, NORTH CAROLINA

Washington would like a tall WR but none have good enough value here. At 6í5 295, Balmer has shot up draft boards because of his great size and quickness. He can really help an aging DL and has the ability to play DE and DT.

14. Chicago Bears - BRIAN BROHM, QB, LOUSIVILLE

I donít hate Rex as much as some people but it is time for a change. Rex just doesnít get it done consistently. Brohm will never be an elite NFL QB but he is a solid player who can make all the throws and is a very good decision maker.

15. Carolina Panthers Ė SAM BAKER, OT, USC

Both of Carolinaís stating OTís are free agents next year and they will need to bring some one else in. Chris Williams is also an option but Carolina like smaller quicker lineman for their ZBS.

16. Philadelphia Eagles - CHRIS WILLIAMS, OT, VANDERBILT

Both William Thomas and Jon Runyan are in their thirties. Winston Justice should not be starting in the NFL and at very least Williams should provide some depth to a line who has had injury problems.

17. Detroit Lions - JAMES LAURENITAS*, LB, OHIO STATE

The Lions will be ecstatic if Laurenitas is still available. They need an athletic, stud MLB for their Tampa 2. Laurentias is a great fit and is a guy who I can see Marenelli really liking.

18. Buffalo Bills - JAMES HARDY*,WR, INDIANA

The Bills need a big receiver to compliment Lee Evans. Hardy is 6í7 and is having a great season. If he can run under a 4.6 heíll be a Top 20 pick.

19. Minnesota Vikings - JORDY NELSON, WR, KANSAS STATE

Jordy Nelson would really help out Tavaris Jackson. He can take short passes and can get YAC. His production this year is off the charts. He can be a deep threat and but also will go across the middle and get a first down. He is rumored to run a 4.3 and if he does heíll be the pick here.

20. Dallas Cowboys (from Cleveland) - REGGIE SMITH*, FS/CB, OKLAHOMA

Reggie Smith is a solid CB but can also play FS. Two the Cowboys most pressing needs. His versatility is a big plus and he will help improve the Cowboys secondary.

21. Arizona Cardinals - QUENTIN GROVES, DE/OLB, AUBURN

The Cardinals D is playing pretty good but with them moving to a 3-4 they need the proper personnel. Groves hasnít stood out and OLB but was dominant at DE early in the year. He is said to run a 4.4 which is ridiculous for a guy his size. He can really get after the QB something the Cards are missing. Mendenhall is an option but Arizona needs to address their D.

22. Tennessee Titans - DESEAN JACKSON*, WR, CAL

Iím not a big DeSean Jackson fan simply because he hasnít been very productive this year. But he does have tremendous speed and is great after the catch. Right now the Titans have some tall possession receivers but no true play makers. A Return Man is also needed because I donít expect Pacman to be a Titan next year.

23. San Diego Chargers - ERIN HENDERSON*, LB, MARYLAND

The Chargers biggest weakness is their ILBís. Henderson can play every postion in the 3-4 and played in it in college. Henderson is a great athlete who has been very productive this year with 11 tackles per game.

24. Tampa Bay Buccanears - PAT SIMS*, DT, AUBURN

Gruden is always tempted by the most talented guy available but the D-Line hasnít been the same since Sapp and McFarrland left. Pat Sims is probably the one of most underrated player in the draft. He is arguably the top junior DT in the country. His size/speed combo is impressive. Sims runs a 4.9 at 6í4 315 and has been a force in the middle all year for Auburn. Sims can play as the NT in the Tampa 2 or the UT. Come draft time, I expect a lot of people will know his name.

25. New York Giants - DAN CONNOR, LB, PENN STATE

If Strahan retires, Kiwi needs to move back to his natural postion of DE. That will leave a whole at SLB. Connor can play all three LB spots. Connor, the winner of the Butkus Award, is a taller more athletic version of teammate Paul Posluszny. CB may be the pick here put I think LB is the more immediate need.

26. Seattle Seahawks - RASHARD MENDENHALL*, RB, ILLINOIS

Mendenhall had a great season. He has all you look for in an NFL RB. Alexander has lost a step and Mendenhall will eventually take over. He can contribute right away and split carries.

27. Jacksonville Jaguars - CHRIS ELLIS, DE, VIRGINIA TECH

The Jags need a pass rushing DE and they finally get one. Chris Ellis has been disruptive all year with 8.5 sacks and an impressive 22 QB Hurries. He absolutely embarrassed Gosder Cherilus who was thought to be one the elite O-Lineman in college football up until that game.

28. Pittsburg Steelers - ANTOINE CASON, CB, ARIZONA

Cason has great value here. The Thorpe Award Winner has had a great senior year. He is a physical, playmaking corner who will fit good in Dick LeBeauís defense and will bring some much needed depth at CB.

29. Green Bay Packers - MIKE JENKINS, CB, SOUTH FLORIDA

The Packers donít have any pressing needs so they go with Jenkins who has good value here and also brings depth to a set of aging corners.

30. San Francisco 49ers - MALCOM KELLY*, WR, OKLAHOMA

If the 49ers can get Kelly here it would be a steal. San Franís offense is painful to watch and they need someone who can catch and make plays. Darrell Jackson, Ashley Lelie and Arnaz Battle arenít getting it done. The 49ers may look at a DE/OLB type here but they need to address their problems on offence.

31. Dallas Cowboys - DRE MOORE, DT, MARYLAND

The Cowboys might go with the BPA here but it is rare to find a guy who can play all three D-Line positions in a 3-4. He is 6í4 310 and very athletic. He can provide some quality depth for the Cowboys D.

OSUGiants17
12-09-2007, 01:06 PM
nice G-Men pick. Average mock

Beans
12-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Jovan Haye has been excellent at UT all year. We need a NT more, and even then, it's not a first-round issue. Doucet and Cason are better picks.

diabsoule
12-09-2007, 02:14 PM
I know the Saints needs cornerback help. It's very evident, however, I don't think we're going after a first round corner and here's why:

We're paying Jason David roughly $4 million a year and we invested an early third round pick in Usama Young who has only seen the field in nickel packages. He's looked good when played and I have every reason to believe that next year what the Saints are going to do is have Young starting opposite McKenzie and David as the nickel.

The Saints need DT or LB in the first round. Balmer, Dorsey, Dre Moore, or Sedrick Ellis would do wonders for our defensive front and Laurinitis or Conner would immediately upgrade our linebackers.

fenikz
12-09-2007, 02:31 PM
I partially like the Groves pick, he doesn't deserve to be picked that high with the way he has played this year, but he has been playing through injuries and with his supposed 4.4 or hell even a high 4.5 time he will shoot up draft boards

As for the rest of the mock there are a couple of questionable 1st rounders, Sims and Nelson being the two who I see as late 2nd rounders

BaLLiN
12-09-2007, 02:32 PM
If Strahan retires, Kiwi needs to move back to his natural postion of DE. That will leave a whole at SLB. Connor can play all three LB spots. Connor, the winner of the Butkus Award, is a taller more athletic version of teammate Paul Posluszny. CB may be the pick here put I think LB is the more immediate need.
Bad explaination, Justin Tuck can easily replace Strahan and has shown that all year.

Babylon
12-09-2007, 02:42 PM
A couple of things, Otah looks too high at #6, Brohm would make more sense to Atlanta and Ryan to Chicago and i dont think Jonathon Stewart runs near a 4.3 otherwise i think this is one of the better mocks i've seen. Also surprised Ryan Clady isnt in round 1 somewhere.

Yung Flippa
12-09-2007, 03:10 PM
Good Ravens and Texans pick

RaiderNation
12-09-2007, 03:13 PM
solid oakland pick

gsorace
12-09-2007, 04:12 PM
I wish people would stop giving the Jets Chris Long

thebow305
12-09-2007, 04:18 PM
the pathetic comment was totally unneccessary

Vikes99ej
12-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Absolutely ******* terrible Vikings pick.

TACKLE
12-09-2007, 04:22 PM
As for the rest of the mock there are a couple of questionable 1st rounders, Sims and Nelson being the two who I see as late 2nd rounders

Sims blend of size and athletism is really impressive and I think he'll shoot up draft boards after the combine. As for Jordy Nelson, his production this year has been ridiculous. 122 catches, 1606 yds, 11TD's. He has good size at 6'2 215 and speed ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek0ANQ8bRfo) and I don't see getting past the end of the 1st.

TACKLE
12-09-2007, 04:34 PM
Brohm would make more sense to Atlanta and Ryan to Chicago. Also surprised Ryan Clady isnt in round 1 somewhere.

I do not think Brohm is worth a Top 3 pick. He'll be a solid NFL QB but won't be special. Matt Ryan has everything you look for in a great QB. About Clady, I didn't include any Junior OL. If I had I would of had him go to the Chiefs, Texans, or Panthers.

Rich Jr
12-09-2007, 05:22 PM
I know the Saints needs cornerback help. It's very evident, however, I don't think we're going after a first round corner and here's why:

We're paying Jason David roughly $4 million a year and we invested an early third round pick in Usama Young who has only seen the field in nickel packages. He's looked good when played and I have every reason to believe that next year what the Saints are going to do is have Young starting opposite McKenzie and David as the nickel.

The Saints need DT or LB in the first round. Balmer, Dorsey, Dre Moore, or Sedrick Ellis would do wonders for our defensive front and Laurinitis or Conner would immediately upgrade our linebackers.While I agree..

Playmaking S>playmaking LB>playmaking DT

Saint need to take Phillips if he's there.

12-09-2007, 05:27 PM
gholston to the raiders is a good pick but im still not sold on him just yet as a 4-3 DE. lol jordy nelson first round.

Bills2083
12-09-2007, 05:34 PM
I wouldn't mind Hardy, but I'd rather we take Kelly

Babylon
12-09-2007, 06:00 PM
I wouldn't mind Hardy, but I'd rather we take Kelly

I think Kelley would be the better pick there too or Nelson for that matter. Not sure if it's ok to say that, wouldnt want to be politically uncorrect.:)

princefielder28
12-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Nice selection for Green Bay

diabsoule
12-09-2007, 07:25 PM
While I agree..

Playmaking S>playmaking LB>playmaking DT

Saint need to take Phillips if he's there.

I agree. I'm not sure if he will be here but anyone is better than Roman Harper.

Rich Jr
12-09-2007, 08:02 PM
I agree. I'm not sure if he will be here but anyone is better than Roman Harper.On the contrary, i'd replace Bullocks.

diabsoule
12-10-2007, 12:36 AM
On the contrary, i'd replace Bullocks.

Bullocks is coming into his own. His problem the past couple of years is that he's had two terrible corner's playing in front of him. Harper can hit and that's about it. He usually takes bad angles, doesn't have good speed, and is lackluster in pass coverage. He was a reach when we took him in the second round two years ago and he proves that with each game. To be honest, I think Josh Bullocks would make a really good SS and then someone like Kenny Phillips could play FS.

NIN1984
12-10-2007, 07:37 AM
Good Raiders pick and nice looking mock overall.

NYGibril28
12-10-2007, 07:44 AM
Bad explaination, Justin Tuck can easily replace Strahan and has shown that all year.

Ditto. Not crazy about Connor either. You can get an impact LB anywhere in Day 1, we need a CB or a FS.

Jughead10
12-10-2007, 08:55 AM

I like the pick. Would have preferred Rivers but can't complain too much. Agreed Tuck could and should take over for Strahan. Although Strahan basically said he is going to play next year as long as Coughlin remains the coach. Either way, I'd rather have Connor or Rivers at WLB.

scottyboy
12-10-2007, 10:09 AM
I like the pick. Would have preferred Rivers but can't complain too much. Agreed Tuck could and should take over for Strahan. Although Strahan basically said he is going to play next year as long as Coughlin remains the coach. Either way, I'd rather have Connor or Rivers at WLB.

god how things change over a few years!

I'd prefer Rivers as well, or Cason, but I'd be fine with this pick

Seasonticketholder
12-10-2007, 01:58 PM

The Saints need DT or LB in the first round. Balmer, Dorsey, Dre Moore, or Sedrick Ellis would do wonders for our defensive front and Laurinitis or Conner would immediately upgrade our linebackers.

I can see your point but unless Dorsey or Ellis is there, you have to take Jenkins or Phillips as they are potential impact players. I think Laurinaitis becomes the fifth option there. I like Connor but I am not as high on him as others seem to be. I think you take the CB or S, if necessary, and then come back in the second and grab a LB.

Babylon
12-10-2007, 04:18 PM
gholston to the raiders is a good pick but im still not sold on him just yet as a 4-3 DE. lol jordy nelson first round.

Laugh at Nelson in round 1, why? Anthony Gonzalez was a 1st rounder(last pick) and i dont think he's near as talented as Nelson. Add to that last year there were like 5 WRs taken before him, i dont think there will be anywhere near that number taken before Nelson, probably more like 2. Curious to what it is you dont like about the guy.

thefridge15
12-10-2007, 08:53 PM
Jordy Nelson>DeSean Jackson?

Babylon
12-11-2007, 12:33 PM
Jordy Nelson>DeSean Jackson?

Jordy Nelson seems to be the brunt of a lot of jokes in here because of certain posters but the kid is a heck of a football player. Desean Jackson in all likelyhood will be drafted before Nelson but that doesnt mean he's going to have a better career. Nelson is big and fast will catch the over the middle stuff and if you sleep on him will get behind the defense. I'm not drafting so i dont know where he'll go but he looks better than Anthony Gonzalez and certainly better than Matt Jones, Davis that was drafted by San Diego and Robert Meachum, all first rounders.

BananaSlug
12-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Eagles don't need a tackle. You can't write off a Winston Justice that quick. Plus they have two guards that can play tackle in Shawn Andrews and Todd Herremans and they have two guards that can start, when they move to tackle.

I don't know why everyone looks at Runyan and Thomas and assume we need to replace them. Winston Justice was considered a top 10 pick and the Eagles traded up to get him. They need considerable more help in the secondary. They have to draft a corner or safety.

Babylon
12-11-2007, 12:52 PM
Eagles don't need a tackle. You can't write off a Winston Justice that quick. Plus they have two guards that can play tackle in Shawn Andrews and Todd Herremans and they have two guards that can start, when they move to tackle.

I don't know why everyone looks at Runyan and Thomas and assume we need to replace them. Winston Justice was considered a top 10 pick and the Eagles traded up to get him. They need considerable more help in the secondary. They have to draft a corner or safety.

I agree with their needs there but question whether Justice was considered a top 10 pick by anyone that knew what they were talking about. He did look great early on at USC but sat out most of his junior year and i thought really regressed his senior year. Sort of took the big reputation into the draft but went later than the hype would indicate. I thought as a senior he got beat too many times and didnt look like a 1st round pick and he still doesnt.

BananaSlug
12-11-2007, 03:04 PM
I agree with their needs there but question whether Justice was considered a top 10 pick by anyone that knew what they were talking about. He did look great early on at USC but sat out most of his junior year and i thought really regressed his senior year. Sort of took the big reputation into the draft but went later than the hype would indicate. I thought as a senior he got beat too many times and didnt look like a 1st round pick and he still doesnt.

Well obviously he wasn't a top 10 pick... but he was still a high second round pick that they traded up to get... I just think that they have more pressing needs than to take a pick that writes off Justice after one game...

TACKLE
12-11-2007, 09:44 PM
Well obviously he wasn't a top 10 pick... but he was still a high second round pick that they traded up to get... I just think that they have more pressing needs than to take a pick that writes off Justice after one game...

Then what postisition should the Eagles address in the 1st round.

Crazy_Chris
12-12-2007, 05:21 AM
Well if these rumors you have heard of are indeed true and he runs a 4.3 at the combine than i wouldn't mind the Jordy Nelson Pick. But I'd still prefer Reggie Smith as safety is a bit of a bigger need than WR.

Eaglez.Fan
12-12-2007, 07:36 PM
Winston Justice should not be starting in the NFL?

He has all the tools not to mention he was excellent in college playing against very good competition. And that was his 1st ever game he was playing in the NFL, and it was against an elite pass rusher. Give him a break. Justice will be a solid NFL player.