PDA

View Full Version : James Laurinaitis

Aftermath
12-09-2007, 10:57 PM
Can someone give me his strengths and weaknesses?

And is he close to the Prospect that AJ Hawk was 2 years ago?

Much appreciated.

DiG
12-09-2007, 11:10 PM

Much appreciated.

I think he is VERY close to the prospect hawk was. He is an incredible tackler and is very strong in run support. His size and speed is pretty ideal for an ILBer. He is above average in coverage. This has a lot to do with his speed and his non stop motor. He is one of the best linebackers in the country covering the entire field. He really doesn't have any glaring weaknesses. He even has pretty good hands for a linebacker which is proven by some nice ints he has had in his career.

SenorGato
12-09-2007, 11:54 PM
He's more physical than I thought he was I'll give him that.

I actually think he'd do well inside in any scheme.

bored of education
12-09-2007, 11:56 PM
I dont want anybody to type that he has difficulty shedding blockers. If they say that they don't know jack squat.

The kid is great!

Primetime21
12-10-2007, 12:09 AM
What I love about him is his relentless motor and his play recognition. I can see the patriots falling in love with him.

Playmaker too. Couldnt believe he stole a shuffle pass against Jake Locker, so bad ass.

Babylon
12-10-2007, 12:15 AM
Very similar to AJ Hawk in size and instincts. Not sure if Lauranaitis is quite as quick as Hawk from side to side but not that much of a differance that he wont be a high pick.

SaintsMan
12-10-2007, 12:32 AM
Is he coming out this year? Might be a great fit for the Saints.

Babylon
12-10-2007, 12:40 AM
Is he coming out this year? Might be a great fit for the Saints.

Would be shocked if he didnt come out and any good linebacker would be a great fit for the Saints wouldnt he?

diabsoule
12-10-2007, 12:46 AM
Would be shocked if he didnt come out and any good linebacker would be a great fit for the Saints wouldnt he?

Yeah, any good linebacker would be a good fit for the Saints, but especially Little Animal. Hell, if he were taken before the Saints pick I'd settle for Dan Conner.

bearsfan_51
12-10-2007, 02:16 AM
Strengths: His Dad is the greatest tag-team wrestler of all time.

Weaknesses: None

Paranoidmoonduck
12-10-2007, 05:09 AM
I don't think that Laurinaitis, as much as he improved, is as much a disruptor on defense as Hawk was. This is probably because he isn't quite on Hawk's athletic level.

I love Laurinaitis' instincts and ability to find the ball, but I think that Hawk was faster, stronger, and tackled with more authority on the field.

nhlkdog411
12-10-2007, 09:02 AM
laurinitis is an awesome prospect and worthy of at top 20 pick in my opinion definitly but it would be hard for just about any linebacker to touch hawk as a prospect, the guy was an absolute freak and basically a perfect linebacker prospect...he ran in the 4.4s, and had a sub 4 shuttle time (!) among other things...he basically had the agility test numbers of a cornerback but hes 240 + pounds..laurinitis is a great athlete but i dont see him as that same type..he's probly in the 4.5s id guess which is great obviously but still not quite hawk.

keylime_5
12-10-2007, 09:26 AM
Slightly less of a prospect than AJ was. But a top 15 guy for sure, possibly top 10. He's very athletic for a middle linebacker, and NFL teams love that. Denver wishes they could get him, but Philly, Cincy, and New Orleans would get him first probably.

Babylon
12-10-2007, 12:19 PM
laurinitis is an awesome prospect and worthy of at top 20 pick in my opinion definitly but it would be hard for just about any linebacker to touch hawk as a prospect, the guy was an absolute freak and basically a perfect linebacker prospect...he ran in the 4.4s, and had a sub 4 shuttle time (!) among other things...he basically had the agility test numbers of a cornerback but hes 240 + pounds..laurinitis is a great athlete but i dont see him as that same type..he's probly in the 4.5s id guess which is great obviously but still not quite hawk.

My recollection was that Hawk ran a 4.6 at the combine but as you said his shuttle time was there with the DBs. I think Lauranaitis will be mid 4.6s and not sure if he has the strength of Hawk but we'll see. Not quite ready to put him in AJs class but keeping an open mind because the kid is a great football player.

Jonny
12-10-2007, 01:47 PM
I dont want anybody to type that he has difficulty shedding blockers. If they say that they don't know jack squat.

The kid is great!

That's all I see every time I watch OSU. What about the Illinois game?

I like Freeman better.

BroadwayJoe10
12-10-2007, 02:11 PM
Strengths: His Dad is the greatest tag-team wrestler of all time.

Weaknesses: None

agreed. the only person i liked more than his dad was shawn michaels and Marty Jannetty, well just shawn michaels. I'm glad you pointed out that he has no problem shedding blockers, because I made it a point to just watch him after hearing people say that about him and i can't think of a single time where he had trouble. The guy is just awesome and i can't wait to see his combine numbers.

Also, not that it matters, but he is good at giving an interview, well atleast compared to craig steltz who talks about 1000 words a seconds.

Diehard
12-10-2007, 02:28 PM
Slightly less of a prospect than AJ was. But a top 15 guy for sure, possibly top 10. He's very athletic for a middle linebacker, and NFL teams love that. Denver wishes they could get him, but Philly, Cincy, and New Orleans would get him first probably.

This member of the Broncos Faithful is certainly hoping he ends up in Denver, but at this point the chances don't look great w/o a trade up.

Too bad, because he's exactly what the Broncos need at the LB spot.

nhlkdog411
12-10-2007, 02:36 PM
4.59 combine from one source, 4.49 from another, 4.4 campus, 3.96 shuttle, 40 inch vert..either way his speed is around the 4.5 or high 4.4 range and his other numbers are nuts..but back on laurinitis, id agree on him being around 4.6 but the other numbers I don't expect to be quite what hawk put up..but hawk was also a top 5 pick as linebacker which is rare as hell where as laurinitis is more a top15 type guy

BuddyCHRIST
12-10-2007, 06:08 PM
He's a great player but Hawk just seemed to flat out dominate games. He got robbed of the Bendarik because he was the best defensive player for 2 years and is one of the better college LB's in a while.

HoopsDemon12
12-10-2007, 06:13 PM
Yeah, any good linebacker would be a good fit for the Saints, but especially Little Animal. Hell, if he were taken before the Saints pick I'd settle for Dan Conner.

Settle for dan connor? Connor is a really good/solid player aswell.. most teams would be ecstatic to get him

The Legend
12-10-2007, 06:16 PM

Much appreciated.

'kids gonna run a 4,4 at the combine just watch for it

Babylon
12-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Settle for dan connor? Connor is a really good/solid player aswell.. most teams would be ecstatic to get him

I was going to comment the same thing but you beat me to it. Connor has his following to be the best LB in the draft and i wouldnt bet against it. If Connor can turn a mid 4.5 40 as opposed to a mid 4.6 40 for Lauranaitis then things could change.

keylime_5
12-10-2007, 06:18 PM
4.59 combine from one source, 4.49 from another, 4.4 campus, 3.96 shuttle, 40 inch vert..either way his speed is around the 4.5 or high 4.4 range and his other numbers are nuts..but back on laurinitis, id agree on him being around 4.6 but the other numbers I don't expect to be quite what hawk put up..but hawk was also a top 5 pick as linebacker which is rare as hell where as laurinitis is more a top15 type guy

Ahhh...yes AJ was a top 5 pick....but he was a senior and if he left as a junior he probably woulda been picked around the 5-15 range probably. Wouldn't one agree that JL would be right around top 5 if he stayed for his senior year? AJ was a better prospect, but JL's potential to go just as high is there.

Babylon
12-10-2007, 06:26 PM

What are they going to time them for 35 yards now?:)

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
12-10-2007, 07:11 PM
Ahhh...yes AJ was a top 5 pick....but he was a senior and if he left as a junior he probably woulda been picked around the 5-15 range probably. Wouldn't one agree that JL would be right around top 5 if he stayed for his senior year? AJ was a better prospect, but JL's potential to go just as high is there.

Also remember the 06 draft was absolutely LOADED. Say what you want about Bush now, but as a prospect, he was top notch. The draft had so many top-10 calibre guys it's unbelievable. 3 real top-10 calibre QBs, the best DE to come out inGod knows how long(yes, better than Peppers), the best TE prospect in recent memory, an amazing LT prospect, the most dynamic runningback prospect in forever, one of the best LBs in years, some excellent DBs. The only weak position was WR, and maybe CB, although there were a lot of good CBs to be had(just no great ones).

jared
12-10-2007, 07:11 PM

Good point, hadn't thought about that.

OhioState
12-10-2007, 07:18 PM
Also remember the 06 draft was absolutely LOADED. Say what you want about Bush now, but as a prospect, he was top notch. The draft had so many top-10 calibre guys it's unbelievable. 3 real top-10 calibre QBs, the best DE to come out inGod knows how long(yes, better than Peppers), the best TE prospect in recent memory, an amazing LT prospect, the most dynamic runningback prospect in forever, one of the best LBs in years, some excellent DBs. The only weak position was WR, and maybe CB, although there were a lot of good CBs to be had(just no great ones).

i would say that Cromartie was a great prospect. he had just sat out a year and still was a top 20 pick, i mean just look at him now

benjamink15
12-11-2007, 02:42 PM

Antonio Cromartie says hello

marks01234
12-11-2007, 09:08 PM

He probably won't run at the combine (considering tOSU players almost never do) but I do expect him to run in the 4.4s at the pro day.

gice1212
12-13-2007, 08:17 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3153797

This article says he is staying. It's a quote by him but it is also an article about him sending in the paper work to see where he would be drafted.

d34ng3l021
12-13-2007, 10:40 PM
Cromartie wasnt a great prospect. He had just been injured and was coming out with like 2 years of college experience. He had potential, but was not a sure fire thing. Very risky pick.

Mr. Stiller
12-14-2007, 12:04 AM
My recollection was that Hawk ran a 4.6 at the combine but as you said his shuttle time was there with the DBs. I think Lauranaitis will be mid 4.6s and not sure if he has the strength of Hawk but we'll see. Not quite ready to put him in AJs class but keeping an open mind because the kid is a great football player.

AJ Hawk:

Height: 6'1 0/8"
Weight: 248lbs
40 Yard: 4.59 (Pro Day: 4.47)
20 Yard: 2.72
10 Yard: 1.56
Reps: 24
Vertical: 40"
Broad: 9' 7"
Shuttle: 3.96
3-cone: 6.82

I would be hard pressed to believe that Laurinaitis will better any of those #'s except possibly the Vertical, Height, 40 yd (Combine, not pro-day) and possibly 20 Time.

JT Jag
12-14-2007, 01:05 AM
I expect him to disappoint a little at the combine and maybe run in the vicinity of a 4.65, maybe 4.7.

Maybe this will drop his stock, maybe not. I think it'd be dumb if it did.

Babylon
12-14-2007, 12:12 PM
I expect him to disappoint a little at the combine and maybe run in the vicinity of a 4.65, maybe 4.7.

Maybe this will drop his stock, maybe not. I think it'd be dumb if it did.

Lauranaitis is an instinctive football player, he isnt going to be tearing up the track at the combine, if he were to run in the 4.7 range and everyone else is running 4.5 to 4.6 there might be some effect on his draft grade but not much. Projected high picks have to really do poorly to get knocked down that much. That being said to the naked eye he is a 4.6 to 4.65 guy.

underscore
12-15-2007, 10:26 AM
If he was instinctive, he'd have more than 39 solo tackles on the season.

crazyisme
12-15-2007, 10:56 AM
i personally think that eithe rhim or long are gonna be the Patriots pick this year. The patriots LB core is going to be joing AARP here pretty soon and they need to begin getting replacements. James would be a good guy to replace any one of them

bucknut12
12-18-2007, 01:47 PM
Don't get me wrong, James is an excellent player and I completely agree with those who put him on 2nd team All-American. However, compared to Hawk...he doesn't get off of blocks as well, not as instinctive, doesn't nearly tackle as well in space, and doesn't get through trash as well with mobility. None the less, I think he plays just as strong, the blitz ability is just about the same, and coverage ability is very solid with good hands. Hawk simply was at a whole another level. If James does come back, he may be just as good, but no one should ever say he is just as good if not better than Hawk...if so they don't know anything. None the less, since Ohio State players typically test well, he'll be top 15 for sure.

P.S. Freeman should not be in the discussion. He showed very good flashes that has lived up to his expectations when he came in as a top recruit, but is not even at an elite level when talking about pass coverage, getting off blocks, and being a great tackler (especially in space!). The only reason he would be a higher pick than the game film warrants would be his tests. Pound for pound he is one of the most explosive weight lifters, quickness, speed than any other player on the team. He finished as one of the best in weight lifting competition in off season between team.

bucknut12
12-18-2007, 01:51 PM
Just for comparison, I think Katzenmoyer was a much better player than James L. Yeah yeah his draft position wasn't as high as James will go, but compared to their years at Ohio State, The Big Kat gets the edge no doubt.

gstock05
12-18-2007, 02:58 PM
He's a better blitzer than AJ was, and is probably a slightly more physical hitter and tackler.

AJ had unreal agility and quickness for a linebacker... Hence his crazy shuttle time at the combine. AJ was slightly better, but James isn't that far behind.

Sniper
01-16-2008, 10:51 AM
http://www.mikeroberto.com/2008/01/14/james-laurinaitis-ohio-states-most-overrated-linebacker-ever/

Thank you Mike Roberto