PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Goff

Wootylicous
12-10-2007, 09:50 AM
What's the word on this guy? Can someone give me his strengths and weaknesses? Is he a top second round pick or a late 1st ?

Cashmoney
12-10-2007, 10:54 AM
He has great strength and size, and makes a ton of tackles. I dont know how much of a playmaker he is in terms of TFL or sacks or INTs, but it seems to me he should be a steady starte at least with tons of upside. I think at earliest he'll go mid-second round.

ironman4579
12-10-2007, 11:05 AM
I know in Scott's Dec. 6th blog entry, about the trend of great inside linebackers being taken in the second round recently ie. Lofa Tatupu, DeMeco Ryans, and David Harris, he mentioned Goff as a potential guy to continue the trend, but then went on to say that he doesn't think the second round is in the cards for Goff, at least at the moment. Take that for what it's worth, I suppose.

NYGibril28
12-10-2007, 01:07 PM
I know in Scott's Dec. 6th blog entry, about the trend of great inside linebackers being taken in the second round recently ie. Lofa Tatupu, DeMeco Ryans, and David Harris, he mentioned Goff as a potential guy to continue the trend, but then went on to say that he doesn't think the second round is in the cards for Goff, at least at the moment. Take that for what it's worth, I suppose.

Do you have your own opinion?

He finished really strong this year if memory serves me correctly. I think he notched double digit tackles in his last 3 games. He's a player, that's for sure. I'm not sure what the biggest knock is on him, as his reported for is in the 4.7 range, and that isn't bad for an ILB. I haven't seen him enough to give a full breakdown of what he can, and cannot do, but in the times I have seen him, he's been a good player.

ironman4579
12-10-2007, 03:50 PM
Do you have your own opinion?

He finished really strong this year if memory serves me correctly. I think he notched double digit tackles in his last 3 games. He's a player, that's for sure. I'm not sure what the biggest knock is on him, as his reported for is in the 4.7 range, and that isn't bad for an ILB. I haven't seen him enough to give a full breakdown of what he can, and cannot do, but in the times I have seen him, he's been a good player.

Actually, I do, but I figured I'd let him know what Scott said first, seeing as I was in a hurry. Personally, I think he's a guy that has mid second round talent, but his speed and overall measurables will push him back to the 3rd or possibly second day. I don't think 4.7 is all that great, considering David Harris ran a sub 4.6 last year and still went mid second with pretty good numbers outside of the 40 ie. short shuttle etc. I think Goff is a run stuffer for sure, but lacks a little in coverage(like alot of college ILB'ers). I personally think he'd fit better on a 3-4 team overall, as I'm not sure he's quick enough sideline to sideline and moving away from the line of scrimmage to play the middle in a cover 2.

SuperKevin
12-10-2007, 04:11 PM
Goff's draft stock took a major hit this season after he failed to produce the way he did as a junior. He was actually overshadowed by OLB Curtis Gatewood and may have fallen to the 3rd round

Smokey Joe
12-10-2007, 06:13 PM
I think he's a 4th rounder... mid 3rd is the absolute highest I see him going.

diabsoule
12-10-2007, 06:24 PM
I love him as a prospect. I think he'll follow the footsteps of DeMeco Ryans except he'll go a bit lower.

ironman4579
12-10-2007, 06:27 PM
I would also say that, while what I said above made it sound like I don't like him much as a prospect, I actually think he'll end up being something of a steal for some team, and will likely start racking up tackles once he gets a chance to be a starter, although if he'll be a guy that makes a ton of impact plays, or is just a steady guy that makes the plays he should make and just gets big tackle numbers, I'm not sure.

Smokey Joe
12-10-2007, 06:32 PM
i actually could see him being a very good SLB for some 4-3 team. He's not great in pass coverage but can stuff the run and while he isn't great at pass coverage, he's good enough.