PDA

View Full Version : APS's Mock 1.0

A Perfect Score
12-10-2007, 05:34 PM
Simple Mock, my first one of the season. No fancy pictures or anything, but ill give full explanations for all. If you disagree with a pick, donít just say so, say why you do and Iíll respond to them all. (Order is based on NFL.com league rankings) Rep is appreciated if you agree or just like the mock ha ha.

1. Miami Dolphins- Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
On the verge of going winless in an era where parity is emphasized, the Dolphins are a team in flux. An aging defence, a young offense and a boatload of injuries have contributed to this factor. While McFadden may be the sexy pick here, and he may have the most immediate effect on the team, I just cant see a team sinking top 2 money into the same position within three years of each other. It isnít feasible financially. Therefore, the pick goes to the aging defence, where Dorsey can provide an interior pass rush along with steady run support. Hopefully, this will free up some room for Jason Taylor (if he doesnít retire) and no matter wat scheme they run, Dorsey will help.

2. St. Louis Rams- Jake Long, OT, Michigan
Much the same as the Dolphins, a ridiculous amount of injuries, particularly on the offensive line, have contributed of the downfall of the Rams. Long may be the most polished overall player in the draft, with solid technique and amazing strength. The ability to play RT and both interior guard spots and most likely left tackle provides valuable versatility in a league where injuries are common. If Pace comes back healthy, Long can play inside with Barron entrenched at RT. If Pace is not healthy or is re-injured, then Long can be tested at LT and if he has trouble, then Barron , a college LT, could be shifted over. At that point, however, the Rams have to wonder if a RT is worth the 2nd overall pick.

3. New England Patriots (via the SF 49ers)- TRADE- The Atlanta Falcons send the 5th overall pick, their 37th overall pick, and a 2nd round pick in 2009 to the New England Patriots for the 3rd overall pick.
Atlanta Falcons- Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas
I donít buy the Deangelo Hall leaving Atlanta rumours, so the idea that he will be traded doesnít factor into my trade. New England is always willing to pick up extra draft picks, and since they have no immediate needs and donít want to sink top 3 money into a pick not worth the value, they deal down. The only team I see trading up is Atlanta, and that is to jump NE and the upcoming New York Jets for a shot at McFadden. Atlanta has the ammo to move up, and they are in search of a new face for the franchise after the Mike Vick fiasco. Although I`m not a big believer in McFadden, he can be that face. A dual-back system with Jerious Norwood (who is very similar to Felix Jones, McFadden`s current partner in crime) will give the Falcons a chance to give whoever is at QB a solid running game.

4. New York Jets- Chris Long, DE, Virginia
They don`t get much easier than this. Although I personally am not sold on Long as a 3-4 NFL end, he has proven at Virginia that he is capable in that spot. The Jets are desperate for defensive help, especially along the defensive line. Long can play the run and the pass with equal strength and offers the Jets some versatility and excellent intangibles.

5. New England Patriots (via Atlanta)- Kenny Phillips, S, Miami
Some people might not buy this pick, but I do. Phillips is a bona fide playmaker, and Miami has a history of producing stud safeties. Phillips is instinctive, fast, and should he declare, I believe he is worthy of a top 5 pick. Rodney Harrison is not getting any younger, and re-uniting Phillips with his old best friend from Miami Brandon Meriweather can give the Patriots a versatile and talented secondary.

6. Oakland Raiders- Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC
Sedrick Ellis has recently been compared to Warren Sapp, so is it more fitting that he replace...Warren Sapp? Oaklandís defence has plummeted this year after surprising many by finishing third overall last season. A talented secondary and a solid linebacking core have been overshadowed by a lack of talent on the defensive line. Ellis will provide an interior pass rush, a rare commodity in this league, and one that is debatably more valuable than an outside pass rush.

7. Kansas City Chiefs- Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State
This pick could be Otah, however Iím not sure he can play LT in the pros and therefore Clady gets the nod due to value. The chiefs actually have a pretty solid nucleus on offense and defence and just need to fill a few holes here and there to be competitive again. After losing 2 HOF offensive lineman in successive years, the Chiefs go back to the strategy that made them a dominant offense in the first place.

8. Baltimore Ravens- Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State
This was painful. After watching my Ravens get beat 44-20 on Sunday Night Football, the depth at CB was once again exposed as we were torched constantly by the Colts. This has been a recurring and disconcerting event all year long, and rather than spend a top 10 pick on a QB, Iíd like to see what Troy Smith has to offer. He looked VERY good in limited action last night, scoring his first NFL TD after engineering a nifty little drive. Kyle Boller is clearly not the answer, he is simply too inconsistent. Malcolm Jenkins brings immediate depth to our secondary and will step in at nickel and possibly even push samari rolle for a starting spot at some point in the season.

9. Philadelphia Eagles- James Laurinatis, LB, Ohio State
One of the most difficult picks to predict. Philly is notoriously difficult to predict due to their usually solid depth and the fact that they normally donít draft where they ought to. A WR here makes the most sense, as Kevin Kolb will need weapons when he takes over, but Laurinatis is simply too good to pass up and the value isnít there at WR. Iím aware that gaither is playing well at Mike, however Takeo Spikes isnít getting younger and once he retires, gaither can slide to will and they can let the Animal take over inside. A terrific overall LB, Laurinatis could flourish in Jim Johnsonís blitz heavy package.

10. Cincinnati Bengals- Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State
I think Calais Campbell will ultimately declare this year, however Gholston has, in my mind, overtaken him in the DE rankings. Gholston had a monster year and proved to many with his solid run support that he can play DE in a 4-3. The Bengals are likely to lose Justin Smith to FA this year, and a dominant pass rusher like Gholston could help make that loss alot easier. The Bengals have the offense, all they are missing is a solid defence and they could easily work themselves back into contention next season.

11. Chicago Bears- Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville
Once all is said and done, I still think Brohm will be the first QB taken. Not because I think he is the best, but because I think he is the safest. He has outstanding mechanics and has excellent accuracy on the underneath and intermediate routes. Ryan with his gunslinger moxy bears a similarity to Rex Grossman which may turn the Bears off, and Andre Woodson simply needs too much work and I donít think Angelo would bite. If they come back healthy again next year, da bears should once again be in contention and if brohm can manage not to lose games, then he should do just fine.

12. Carolina Panthers- Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College
And this is again, a good fit. Ryan bears a solid resemblance to Carolinaís current gunslinger, Jake Delhomme. In search of their QB of the future, the Panthers select Ryan, who many believe is the best QB of the class. Good physical tools and off the charts intangibles could bring this offense, which is loaded with weapons, to a potentially championship level.

13. New Orleans Saints- Dan Connor, LB, Penn State
2 years ago, the Saints were prepared to take AJ Hawk at 2 had the Texans drafted reggie bush. This shows the confidence they have in their current LBs. The saints linebackers, and their defence in whole, is in need of an upgrade. Dan Connor is a LB who is good at everything but great at nothing, and while some may view this as a negative thing, this is just what the doctor ordered for the saints. Connor can step in from day one just as his former teammate Paul Posluzny did in Buffalo and be a steadying presence for the Saints defence.

14. Washington Redskins- Calais Campbell, DE, Miami
This pick just makes too much sense to not make. The Redskins are perpetually searching for help on the defensive line, and Campbell has too much potential to pass up. While I am not a huge fan of his game, you cant argue with his production (particularly from his sophomore year) and you cant teach size. Calais is a monster and if he can keep his motor running he will be an elite DE and a possible steal this late in the first round.

15. Houston Texans- Jonathon Stewart, RB, Oregon
Iím one of the few people who think Jonathon Stewart has the skill set to be a better NFL back then Darren McFadden. If he runs the reputed sub 4.4 forty, then I think he is a lock for the top 15 simply due to his triangle numbers. He reminds me of Jamal Lewis, without the cocaine. The Texans need a RB, however this pick could easily be a LT such as Otah, Baker, Loadholt, or Chris Williams. However, the Texans run game right now is relying on Ron Dayne, so I think that they may pick Stewart and hope one of those OTs falls to the 2nd.

16. Detroit Lions- Phil Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma
The Lions are an interesting team and a difficult one to predict. I almost gave them a CB, but then I remembered that in the cover 2, premier corners are not really needed. Solid run-stopping corners can be found later in the draft, and this draft is especially deep at CB. A QB is not an option, because Mike Martz believes that Drew Stanton is his QB. I think Maualuga keeps his word and stays in school, and there is no other Mike value here. Therefore, the pick turns to the offensive line. In Mike Martzís system, the RT is almost as important as the LT and that is where Loadholt could start before switching over to LT for the ineffective Backus. Loadholt is a massive man at 6í8 350 lbs and could remind some of Jonathon Ogden with his quick feet and surprising athleticism.

17. Denver Broncos- Reggie Smith, DB, Oklahoma
The Broncos are another team who should be better then they are. They do not have alot of holes in their team, however there is one at S, and this is where Reggie Smith comes in. Smith is currently playing CB for the Sooners, however he could easily make the transition back to FS where he started his career. John Lynchís time is sadly running out (he is one of my favourite players ever) and Nick Ferguson has been benched. Reggie Smith can tackle, cover, and is a straight baller.

18. Arizona Cardinals- Quentin Groves, DE/OLB, Auburn
Iím a huge fan of Groves, and I firmly believe if he had not been injured this year, he would have given Gholston a run for his money to be the first hybrid chosen. A dynamic pass rusher, Groves would give the Cards an exterior pass rush which could give an up and coming defence another dimension. However, if Groves runs the reputed 4.4 at the combine, he could be long gone here. Able to play both 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB, Groves will make that transition in the desert alot easier. Also, this is a particularly deep OT tackle draft, so the Cards may be able to fill their other main need in the 2nd round.

19. Tennessee Titans- Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma
Ugh, Vince Young, why do you torture us? Stop trying to be something your not. We know you are anxious to prove that you can be a pocket passer, but lets face it, you are a dual threat QB. Thats why you were drafted, thats why you are paid. Last year, the Titans were 8-8 because Vince helped carry them by being a runner and a passer. I think he needs to get back to that philosophy. However, the fact that he has NO receivers isnít helping. Malcolm Kelly is the only receiver I see developing into a number one at the next level, and he will give Vince a receiver who can actually catch a pass.

20. Minnesota Vikings- Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh
Tavaris Jackson is finally showing promise, they have the best dual-back system in the country and they have the #1 ranked rushing defence. I know I wouldnít want to play the Vikings in the playoffs this year. Running the ball and stopping the run are both staples of the Vikings, and now that QB is no longer a need (I think that Jackson has earned another year to prove himself), the pick goes to improving the oline. Bryant McKinnnie is entrenched at LT, however Ryan Cook is a terrible RT. He was by far one of the worst picks in recent memory. Jeff Otah is quickly rising and there is even talk he could crack the top 10 and it is entirely possible he is gone by now. However, I have doubts as to whether Otah can play LT in the NFL which leads to him falling to here. However, he wouldnít have to play LT in Minnesota, and he could put his punishing run blocking and his massive frame to work paving the way for Adrian Peterson.

21. Buffalo Bills- Desean Jackson, WR, Cal
Electric. This was the word used to describe Desean Jackson at the beginning of the season. However, he has recently fallen off and his production slipped this year. This can most likely be contributed to alot of factors, but Jackson is still very worthy of this pick and may even turn out to be a steal. Now I know most buffalo fans would prefer a larger WR, particularly in the red zone, but I believe that Buffalo is going to pick a TE in the 2nd anyways and that will most likely go a long way to providing that threat. Jackson gives the Bills another deep threat and will pair with Lee Evans to form a solid duo.

22. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Sam Baker, OT, USC
Tampa Bayís line has been much improved recently, with the rise of young players such as Davin Joseph and Aaron Sears. However, they lack a true LT and unless Luke Petigout comes back healthy, they will still be searching for one. Even if Petigout does come back, he is getting up there and depth along the offensive line is never a bad thing. Sam Baker is a phenomenal pass blocker and although his stock has taken a hit recently, he is still a first round talent and is much more polished and technically sound then the other option, Chris Williams. A WR or even a LB like Keith Rivers is not out of the question. The Bucs also look long and hard at Andre Woodson and Colt Brennan but decide to wait another year before addressing their QB situation.

23. San Diego Chargers- Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt
Another hard pick to predict, the Chargers take Williams, an athletic tackle who can come in and play the right side immediately and team with Marcus McNeil to form an amazing duo. This will allow liability Olivea to move inside where he is better suited. The chargers are still waiting on a few guys outside to develop, and they really have very few immediate needs. DT depth is needed but the value isnít there, and I donít think they will draft another RB whether turner leaves or not.

24. Dallas Cowboys (via the Cleveland Browns)- Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida
Isnít it ironic that the pick the Cowboys received after trading with the browns is lower then the one they traded away last year? Anyways, the Cowboys need some secondary help, and the depth at corner is particularly iffy. Mike Jenkins is my personal favourite corner in this yearís draft and I see no reason why any other corner might jump him. He barely ever gets beat deep, is physical jamming and in run support, and has solid measurables. Wade Phillips should jump all over him come draft day.

25. Seattle Seahawks- Andre Woodson, QB, Kentucky
Iíll probably get grilled for this, but I have been thinking about it, and the more I think the more likely it seems Seattle may choose a QB. Hasslebeck, while solid, has his inconsistent moments and he is already well into his 30ís. Sooner or later, a replacement is needed, and while Woodson falling may annoy him at first, it may be a blessing in disguise. The opportunity to work with known QB guru Mike Holmgren before he calls it quits will surely benefit Woodson in the long run, and may ultimately develop into the star that he can be. With good accuracy and instincts, Woodson is a good fit for the Seahawks pure WCO. I donít think Alexander is done quite yet and Mo Morris has shown flashes in limited playing time and in recent weeks. This is a team with very few holes and who can afford to think towards the future.

26. Pittsburgh Steelers- Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas
It was close between him and Cason, but Talib has had a solid year and he gets the nod. After getting torched consistently by New England, the Steelers opt to upgrade their pass defense by adding a solid CB and giving him a few years to play nickel and develop. When Deshea Townsend is done, Talib can step in and become a starter. Depth along the defensive line is also an option, as well as the offensive line.

27. New York Giants- Keith Rivers, OLB, USC
Its a common pick, but it makes alot of sense as well. The Giants have a nasty defence and all they need are a few more pieces to become elite. A CB like Cason is not out of the question, but after spending last yearís first rounder on Aaron Ross, I think they go elsewhere this year and possibly draft a guy like Terrell Thomas later. I thought of giving the Giants a guy like Rashard Mendenhall as well, but decided that they already have Brandon Jacobs and Derrick Ward, who showed flashes before going down with a leg injury.

28. Jacksonville Jaguars- Chris Ellis, DE, Virginia Tech
Iím not a believer in Derrick Harvey, and Iím a fan of Ellis, so maybe that contributes to him getting the nod here. However, Ellis is a more rounded player and gives the Jags a pass rusher and more support against the run then Harvey can offer. Again, the jags have very few needs and although QB is an idea, Garrard has been playing mistake free football and letting the defence and running game win. You cant ask for much more from a QB. They are still waiting on several players to develop out wide (Im looking at you, Matt Jones) and they simply have too much invested there to use another first rounder there. Defensive end is the pick, and Ellis gets the nod.

29. San Francisco 49ers (via the Indianapolis Colts)- Kentwan Balmer, DT/DE, North Carolina
I donít but the edge rush argument, seeing as they get Manny Lawson back next year and they gave big dollars to Tully Banta Cain. They need serious help in several areas, but defensive line is one of the worst. Bryant Young cant stay well, young forever, and they have little talent elsewhere. Balmer has momentum heading into the offseason which is key heading up to the draft, and he could be a steal here. He has recently been compared to Richard Seymour.

30. Green Bay Packers- Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona
I have Jack Ikegwuonu staying for his senior year, so the Packers take the next best thing in Cason. Al Harris and Charles Woodson provide an aging yet solid CB duo. The recent recipient of the Thorpe Award, Cason can provide solid depth until given the chance to start.

31. Dallas Cowboys- Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois
Julius Jones is as good as gone, and although I think Marion Barber can be a full time back in the NFL, its a two back league nowadays. Mendenhall had a great year and has everything you look for in an NFL running back. I almost gave them a WR here, but the cowboys can afford to go BPA and I think thats Mendenhall. Another possibility here is Dre Moore, who should have a monster offseason and has the ability to play all three spots in a 3-4.

sportsnerd23
12-10-2007, 05:47 PM
I like the philly pick. Although i think WR is our number one need, i don't think any receiver this year should be picked inside the top ten AS OF NOW.

TACKLE
12-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Personally I think Matt Ryan is ahead of Brohm as a player and a prospect. I also think Dan Connor is a bit high. I like the Otah pick. All in all, a pretty solid mock.

HoopsDemon12
12-10-2007, 05:58 PM
I kind of like the bills pick.. not exactly to fond though... and wow its nice to see us picking at 21... and a little weird

A Perfect Score
12-10-2007, 05:59 PM
Personally I think Matt Ryan is ahead of Brohm as a player and a prospect. I also think Dan Connor is a bit high. I like the Otah pick. All in all, a pretty solid mock.

I agree totally. i like ryan better then brohm in both aspects. However, the bears have already had a bad experience with oen gunslinger and i think they need more of a game manager. And brohm is less hit or miss then ryan. I just think that the bears GM will bite on brohm before ryan.

Also, Dan Connor IS a bit high, but I dont think it rreally matters to the saints. They need defensive help, and badly. Connor is a proven leader and a solid all around linebacker, and he is as good or better then posluzny was last year. Paul was having a DROY type year before he went down, and I see no reason connor wouldnt have the same type of year in NO. He wasnt my first choice there, as the saints need a DT and a CB more, but the value didnt fit anywhere else either.

A Perfect Score
12-10-2007, 06:00 PM
I kind of like the bills pick.. not exactly to fond though... and wow its nice to see us picking at 21... and a little weird

I think he fits the system better then any of the other recievers, and If i did a 2nd round, which i might do later, id give them a TE or a CB. After wathcing Mccargo play this year, i dont think DT is a need for them anymore. He has really progressed from last year.

scar988
12-10-2007, 06:38 PM
Atlanta will not trade up for a RB. we will stay where we are... and we especially won't give up 2 2nd round picks and our first for McFadden when we have much bigger needs. now if McFadden is available at 5 we get him.

A Perfect Score
12-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Atlanta will not trade up for a RB. we will stay where we are... and we especially won't give up 2 2nd round picks and our first for McFadden when we have much bigger needs. now if McFadden is available at 5 we get him.

hes not just any RB...he would instantly be the best option on your team. I can see your argument, but who else do they take? McFadden is the only person who will be drafted in the top 5 who will be worth the contract. Do you really wanna shell out 27 million guaranteed to brian brohm? the falcons will have another 2nd round pick to adress other needs. Norwood isnt an every down back, and honestly mcfadden is the best player that you could wind up with.

Bills2083
12-10-2007, 07:00 PM

I'd be mad if Kelly was taken 2 slots before us. I wouldn't mind the Bills pick, but I'd like to get a big WR, and big TE.

Was the last time we drafted this high in '03?

fenikz
12-10-2007, 07:01 PM
Don't mind Groves if he gets picked that high will be because of a solid combine and he will deserve it.

BTW CB and FS are bigger needs than OT if you plan on ever doing a 2nd rounder for the Cardinals

A Perfect Score
12-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Don't mind Groves if he gets picked that high will be because of a solid combine and he will deserve it.

BTW CB and FS are bigger needs than OT if you plan on ever doing a 2nd rounder for the Cardinals

i was under the impression that rolle was playing FS now, and him and wilson would make a nasty little duo...thats just why i suggested an OT in the 2nd. but yeah, CB i can see as well.

Rich Jr
12-10-2007, 07:26 PM
I like the pick, would love to see Phillips drop somehow.

RaiderNation
12-10-2007, 07:35 PM
soldi raider pick. campbell could be there too

Travis 24
12-10-2007, 08:03 PM
Why would they even think of moving Gaither to the outside?...That just makes absolutely zero sense...

A Perfect Score
12-10-2007, 08:09 PM
Why would they even think of moving Gaither to the outside?...That just makes absolutely zero sense...

thank you, for your absolutely worthless comment...MAKE A DAMN POINT! Gaither started his career as an OLB you idiot, it makes perfect sense to move him back there, especially if it means putting s stud like Laurinatis in the middle of your defence. Once again, we are reminded of how totally inept you are...I dont care if you disagree with me, but dont say something idiotic then not back it up.

Travis 24
12-10-2007, 08:20 PM
thank you, for your absolutely worthless comment...MAKE A DAMN POINT! Gaither started his career as an OLB you idiot, it makes perfect sense to move him back there, especially if it means putting s stud like Laurinatis in the middle of your defence. Once again, we are reminded of how totally inept you are...I dont care if you disagree with me, but dont say something idiotic then not back it up.

No he didn't you asswipe, he was drafted and moved IMMEDIATLY to MLB...The ONLY reason he played WLB last year was Matt McCoy going down with a shoulder injury and basically being ineffective. And Gaither wasn't even that good in that spot either you toolbag. He is not good AT ALL matched up against TE's, and isn't fast enough to make plays in that spot..

Again, Gaither NEVER practiced OLB in mini-camps OR pre-season...How do I know? I was at Lehigh University for the mini camps, and Gaither was exclusively used inside in EVERY package...he was never lined up outside. His first start at WLB, was the first time he lined up in that spot since being drafted...so why don't you try to actually know what the F your talking about before you go running your stupid ass mouth.

A stud like Laurinaitis?..Their is no guarantee he will even be a good NFL player, and I find it almost utterly impossible that the Eagles even consider him...For starters, they drafted Stewart Bradley last year in round 3 to play on the outside IF Spikes were to leave. THAT is the plan...Not drafting a MLB then moving Gaither.

You guys pretend you know everything, when you know next to nothing...try again.

Travis 24
12-10-2007, 08:22 PM
BTW, after 8 years, the Eagles have never drafted a LB in round 1...and they have never drafted LB's back to back on day 1...They have enough, so just stop it.

The pick is going to be in the secondary...How this isn't the most obvious thing in the world is just insane...If you wanna stop getting these comments by me, then stop ignoring the most OBVIOUS weakness on the entire frickin team.

Travis 24
12-10-2007, 08:33 PM
Also...I'm not sure how aware you guys are of the contract/age/injury situations of the Eagles secondary...but:

Brian Dawkins is 33 years old, and has just clearly declined from the player he was just a year or 2 ago...He is an UFA, as well is Sean Considine..who was placed on IR this year after recurring shoulder problems. Mikell also signed a 1 year tender offer as a RFA last year...

At CB, Brown and Sheppard are signed through 2010..although they clearly are not satisfied or comfortable with Lito being unable to stay healthy and his streaky play...William James, the nickel CB and Joselio Hanson, the dime CB..are UFA's at the end of the year.

So for the love of god...when I say go CB/S, I'm not joking around.

A Perfect Score
12-10-2007, 08:38 PM
No he didn't you asswipe, he was drafted and moved IMMEDIATLY to MLB...The ONLY reason he played WLB last year was Matt McCoy going down with a shoulder injury and basically being ineffective. And Gaither wasn't even that good in that spot either you toolbag. He is not good AT ALL matched up against TE's, and isn't fast enough to make plays in that spot..

Again, Gaither NEVER practiced OLB in mini-camps OR pre-season...How do I know? I was at Lehigh University for the mini camps, and Gaither was exclusively used inside in EVERY package...he was never lined up outside. His first start at WLB, was the first time he lined up in that spot since being drafted...so why don't you try to actually know what the F your talking about before you go running your stupid ass mouth.

A stud like Laurinaitis?..Their is no guarantee he will even be a good NFL player, and I find it almost utterly impossible that the Eagles even consider him...For starters, they drafted Stewart Bradley last year in round 3 to play on the outside IF Spikes were to leave. THAT is the plan...Not drafting a MLB then moving Gaither.

You guys pretend you know everything, when you know next to nothing...try again.

Gaither played OLB at Tennesee...maybe he was moved after he was drafted, but he has experience in the role and has the skillset to succeed. As to why he didnt do well there last year, maybe it was because he was a rookie? But wait, Im sure you expected him to make a fluid transition from the 5th round to the NFL right away. Gaither has the skillset to succeed as a WLB in the NFL, and I dunno about you, but im pretty sure im not alone in saying id much rather have james laurinatis as my mike then omar gaither...

Suggesting that simply becuase a player hasnt been used in a role means he wouldnt succeed in the role is ludacris. There are plenty of players who, if given the oppourtunity to play outside their specific position or role, would still excel at that position. Whos to say Gaither wouldnt succeed as a will in the NFL?

And I dont really care if the eagles havent drafted a LB on the first day back to back in eight years. Who cares? if the need is there, then its a need. the texans drafted three defensive linemen in the first round 3 consecutive years. Look at the freaking lions, drafting WRs left and right. Why? Because there was a need.

As i said before, I dont care if you dont agree with my pick. If you think it is going to the secondary, kindly state that and the information will be processed, and maybe in my next mock i give them a DB. Not to mention the value isnt there at DB, unless you want reggie smith as a top 10 pick. but thats my opinion, whether it happens or not is a whole differant matter.

And dont question my football intelligence...it just makes you look like the idiot in the end. toolbag? really? thats the best you could do?

A Perfect Score
12-10-2007, 08:40 PM
Also...I'm not sure how aware you guys are of the contract/age/injury situations of the Eagles secondary...but:

Brian Dawkins is 33 years old, and has just clearly declined from the player he was just a year or 2 ago...He is an UFA, as well is Sean Considine..who was placed on IR this year after recurring shoulder problems. Mikell also signed a 1 year tender offer as a RFA last year...

At CB, Brown and Sheppard are signed through 2010..although they clearly are not satisfied or comfortable with Lito being unable to stay healthy and his streaky play...William James, the nickel CB and Joselio Hanson, the dime CB..are UFA's at the end of the year.

So for the love of god...when I say go CB/S, I'm not joking around.

this is all good information, that i wasnt totally aware of. I was aware dawkins was aging but I didnt know about their contract situations. Im not an eagles fan and really didnt think to put THAT much research into the mock. Once again, If you dont agree with my opinion fine, if you think the pick is going ot the secondary fine. But dont sit there and question my footbal intelligence and insult me, because really, it doesnt do you any good in the end.

Travis 24
12-10-2007, 08:47 PM
Gaither played OLB at Tennesee...maybe he was moved after he was drafted, but he has experience in the role and has the skillset to succeed. As to why he didnt do well there last year, maybe it was because he was a rookie? But wait, Im sure you expected him to make a fluid transition from the 5th round to the NFL right away. Gaither has the skillset to succeed as a WLB in the NFL, and I dunno about you, but im pretty sure im not alone in saying id much rather have james laurinatis as my mike then omar gaither...

Suggesting that simply becuase a player hasnt been used in a role means he wouldnt succeed in the role is ludacris. There are plenty of players who, if given the oppourtunity to play outside their specific position or role, would still excel at that position. Whos to say Gaither wouldnt succeed as a will in the NFL?

And I dont really care if the eagles havent drafted a LB on the first day back to back in eight years. Who cares? if the need is there, then its a need. the texans drafted three defensive linemen in the first round 3 consecutive years. Look at the freaking lions, drafting WRs left and right. Why? Because there was a need.

As i said before, I dont care if you dont agree with my pick. If you think it is going to the secondary, kindly state that and the information will be processed, and maybe in my next mock i give them a DB. Not to mention the value isnt there at DB, unless you want reggie smith as a top 10 pick. but thats my opinion, whether it happens or not is a whole differant matter.

And dont question my football intelligence...it just makes you look like the idiot in the end. toolbag? really? thats the best you could do?

He played SLB at Tennessee, which he really didn't even come close to playing here. Lots of players on this defense are playing different positions than they did in college, Trent Cole was an OLB at Cincy..Chris Gocong was a DE and now he's starting at LB. The coaching staff loves Gaither inside..hence why they cut Trotter to get him on the field.

I'd MUCH rather have Gaither than Laurinaitis on the Eagles...Gaither has proven he can drastically improve the run defense here..Laurinaitis hasn't.

Comparing Gaither at WLB last year, to him being the MIKE this year...he looks like a different player. He looked lost last year..and was out of position far too often. Now he's making plays all over the place..again, just no point.

You questioned my intelligence...so why shouldn't I question yours?..works both ways my friend.

scottyboy
12-10-2007, 09:21 PM
i like the giants pick. boring, but makes perfect sense. I'd prefer Cason, as CB is a bigger need, but i honestly cant complain about Rivers. He's my 3rd favorite option for the Giants behind Cason and then Reggie Smith. so nice work

edit: didnt read the explanation, yes CB is a very deep position this year, and LB is not. very nice work

good thing you didnt give us Mendenhall, we're really deep at RB and could get a speedy runner later if need be, but not in the 1st

Yung Flippa
12-10-2007, 09:24 PM
GOOD Ravens pick & Soild Texans pick

bored of education
12-10-2007, 09:48 PM
cant go wrong with Clady

Vikes99ej
12-10-2007, 09:56 PM
Good Vikings pick.

d34ng3l021
12-10-2007, 10:18 PM

If not, we get Brohm, or someone else. Trading up for McFadden would be pointless.

Bar-bq
12-10-2007, 11:54 PM
2. St. Louis Rams- Jake Long, OT, Michigan
At that point, however, the Rams have to wonder if a RT is worth the 2nd overall pick.

Which is why Chris Long would be a much better choice. An immediate impact player, as opposed to a player who may or may not see his value as the number 2 overall pick fulfilled.

Beans
12-11-2007, 07:59 AM
I like your Bucs pick & expalnation, but LB really isn't an option for Tampa. We're stacked there, with Brooks, June, Ruud, Black, Nece, and Hayward.

aNYtitan
12-11-2007, 09:27 AM
I'm definitely happy with the Titans draft pick, it does give Vince a big, strong WR to throw to that can actually hold onto the ball and have plenty of YAC

DiG
12-11-2007, 10:05 AM
campbells not a bad pick but im just not sold on him yet. but with whos available in this i cant see the skins goin with anyone else. maybe loadholt.

A Perfect Score
12-11-2007, 11:52 AM
I like your Bucs pick & expalnation, but LB really isn't an option for Tampa. We're stacked there, with Brooks, June, Ruud, Black, Nece, and Hayward.

well, i was sorta thinking BPA, and also, lets face it brooks cant play forever. Quincy black has nice measurables, but im not sure if he can refine his game enough to be an effective starter. Ruud is a stud, but i was thinking Rivers at will to replace brooks. But It wasnt my first choice, nor my 2nd i was going to give them a reciever but the value wasnt there. Oh, and cato june has the whole DUI thing, i dunno how thats gunna play out yet. Just an idea.

A Perfect Score
12-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Which is why Chris Long would be a much better choice. An immediate impact player, as opposed to a player who may or may not see his value as the number 2 overall pick fulfilled.

The rams took a player last year in adam carriker who is very similar to chris long: a bigger defensive end with a solid motor and surprising pass rush abilities. Ultimately, I think carriker will end up back outside, and I just didnt think the rams would be willing to invest another high pick and top 3 money on a player similar to their last first rounder. And i do think Long can play LT in the nfl btw...

also note, i dont think adam carriker is on the level of chris long, just a comparison and a POR lol

A Perfect Score
12-11-2007, 11:58 AM
If not, we get Brohm, or someone else. Trading up for McFadden would be pointless.

Like i said, do you really wanna invest 27 million dollars in brian brohm? The only player worth investing that kind of money in this year is mcfadden. He is without question the best player in the draft, and if you could move up and get him for a reasonable price (i also think the pats might take less then that, such as the Houstons 2nd this year or even a third next year, due to the lack of top end talent on the draft) then i would think the falcons would pull the trigger. Not to mention, the falcons are short on offensive playmakers now that their main one is in prison. McFadden has star power and could help turn the franchise around.

Look wat adrian peterson has done for the vikings this year. They have no QB (tavaris has shown progress, but not much), yet they are 7-6 and in the playoff hunt because of their dual back system and solid defense. I dont think McFadden is on Petersons level, but he isnt far off. Thats wat McFadden can bring to the Falcons that Brohm cant.

Travis 24
12-11-2007, 12:32 PM
Like i said, do you really wanna invest 27 million dollars in brian brohm? The only player worth investing that kind of money in this year is mcfadden. He is without question the best player in the draft, and if you could move up and get him for a reasonable price (i also think the pats might take less then that, such as the Houstons 2nd this year or even a third next year, due to the lack of top end talent on the draft) then i would think the falcons would pull the trigger. Not to mention, the falcons are short on offensive playmakers now that their main one is in prison. McFadden has star power and could help turn the franchise around.

Look wat adrian peterson has done for the vikings this year. They have no QB (tavaris has shown progress, but not much), yet they are 7-6 and in the playoff hunt because of their dual back system and solid defense. I dont think McFadden is on Petersons level, but he isnt far off. Thats wat McFadden can bring to the Falcons that Brohm cant.

What about Jerious Norwood though?...I'm not sure going HB really fixes a lot of things there. Roddy White really emerged this year, and I think now its time to get a QB to lead that offense...No one really knows who is gonna be great, and who won't..but Brian Brohm certainly has all the tools to be a good QB.

A Perfect Score
12-11-2007, 12:46 PM
What about Jerious Norwood though?...I'm not sure going HB really fixes a lot of things there. Roddy White really emerged this year, and I think now its time to get a QB to lead that offense...No one really knows who is gonna be great, and who won't..but Brian Brohm certainly has all the tools to be a good QB.

Dont get me wrong, I think Brohm has excellent tools, thats why I have him going before the other 2 top QBs...I just dont think he is worth 27 million guaranteed. The only player i see being worth that kind of money is mcfadden. And I know jerious norwood is there, but again, I say look at the vikings. Nobody thought that peterson would help turn them around so fast...
Just my opinion, as this all is, I just think that McFadden can offer a franchise in need more then Brohm could, and he has a higher ceiling and a much less likelihood of being a bust.

Roddy White's emerrgence with mediocre QBs is really showing me soemthing, and if he had someone competent to throw him the ball he could be a star. however, I stil think the mcfadden picks makes more sense as of now.

T-RICH49
12-11-2007, 04:32 PM
good Chiefs pick.We will not really know how good Croyle can be until we fix the O-Line

BamaFalcon59
12-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Horrible for the Falcons. More likely to trade down than trade up. Too many needs. If we stay put then Brian Brohm, Jeff Otah, or Ryan Clady.

A Perfect Score
12-11-2007, 05:18 PM
Horrible for the Falcons. More likely to trade down than trade up. Too many needs. If we stay put then Brian Brohm, Jeff Otah, or Ryan Clady.

ugh...never mind then. I am not explaing my pick again. If you want your team to sink 25+ million GUARANTEED into brohm, otah, or clady with the 3rd overall pick, be my guest. Cause in any other draft with decent top tier talent, none of those guys even sniff the top 10. Hell, brady quinn was twice the prospect brohm is and he fell to 22. McFadden is the only player who is worth the money shelled out in the top 5 (chris long and jake long are on the cusp). But hey, thats just my opinion.

Crazy_Chris
12-12-2007, 05:27 AM
Perfect pick for the vikings.

Caddy
12-12-2007, 06:02 AM
Solid Buc pick and a solid explanation.

A Perfect Score
12-13-2007, 10:17 AM
i really wanted toonsters opinion on this...where is he lol. Also, id like tohear from some seattle fans if there are any out there on the andre woodson selection. And for tha atlanta fans, your brian brohm to atlanta theory just crashed and burned. Do you still want him in the top 5?

fenikz
12-13-2007, 10:18 AM
I'm a big fan of Groves as well, if he is 100% by the combine I expect he will put up some amazing numbers

A Perfect Score
12-13-2007, 10:33 AM
I'm a big fan of Groves as well, if he is 100% by the combine I expect he will put up some amazing numbers

if he runs anyhting close to what he is expected to run, he might not be there when the cards pick...a 6'3 255 lb man running a 4.4 is ridiclous.

EdReedUnstoppable
12-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Love goin CB n rd 1 for the Ravens, IMO it is our biggest need!

art vandelay
12-13-2007, 12:25 PM
You bite your tongue. DeSean Jackson is an awful pick for Buffalo.

A Perfect Score
12-13-2007, 12:30 PM
You bite your tongue. DeSean Jackson is an awful pick for Buffalo.

you shut your mouth when your talking to me! any reasoning to counter wat i said in my explaination?

art vandelay
12-13-2007, 12:35 PM
you shut your mouth when your talking to me! any reasoning to counter wat i said in my explaination?

We have Parrish who we already don't utilize enough as a WR with a similar skillset to Jackson. Also, we don't have a WR over 5'11" in our top 4. We need a Red-Zone WR (maybe even 2, one through FA). As most have noticed, we have struggled mightily in the red zone this year so we need an option not named Marshawn Lynch. We probably will pick a TE too in the draft, although I think Marv believes Royal is a complete TE. WR should be taken above TE. Jackson would have no place in our lineup. Josh Reed has actually been playing really well this year.

Evans > Rookie/FA WR (Kelly, Wilford, etc) > Reed > Parrish

Good receiving corps.

A Perfect Score
12-13-2007, 12:41 PM
We have Parrish who we already don't utilize enough as a WR with a similar skillset to Jackson. Also, we don't have a WR over 5'11" in our top 4. We need a Red-Zone WR (maybe even 2, one through FA). As most have noticed, we have struggled mightily in the red zone this year so we need an option not named Marshawn Lynch. We probably will pick a TE too in the draft, although I think Marv believes Royal is a complete TE. WR should be taken above TE. Jackson would have no place in our lineup. Josh Reed has actually been playing really well this year.

Evans > Rookie/FA WR (Kelly, Wilford, etc) > Reed > Parrish

Good receiving corps.

fair enough...i appreciate the input. I tried to give them a player who fit their system, although i guess a solid red zone threat is key as well. Also, at that point, jackson is BPA and with kelly gone, i dont know who you would like there...any idea?

AZ9er
12-13-2007, 01:03 PM
The Niners pick isn't a bad one. But I think any defensive pick will have to wait until we know if Nolan is fired or not. If a new HC comes in and installs a 4-3, we're definately going to need an edge rushing DE.

But another logical choice is WR. We desperately need a playmaker at WR, and Adarius Bowman would be a good choice at that spot. I also hope we pick up a good WR in free agency... hopefully Bryant Johnson.

I pray to all that is holy that Nolan is fired.

A Perfect Score
12-13-2007, 01:31 PM
The Niners pick isn't a bad one. But I think any defensive pick will have to wait until we know if Nolan is fired or not. If a new HC comes in and installs a 4-3, we're definately going to need an edge rushing DE.

But another logical choice is WR. We desperately need a playmaker at WR, and Adarius Bowman would be a good choice at that spot. I also hope we pick up a good WR in free agency... hopefully Bryant Johnson.

I pray to all that is holy that Nolan is fired.

well the thing is, balmer is capable of making an impact no matter what scheme the niners play in. He can play DT in a 4-3, where he provides an interior pass rush which can be far more disruptive then an edge rusher. And in the 3-4, he can play DE and occupy blockers and still provide a pass rush.

I do realize that WR is another logical choice, but raelly, who do you want there? Maybe adarius bowman, but other then that, there arent really any prospects who are worthy of being picked over balmer.

Jakey
12-13-2007, 01:48 PM
WTF for that Steelers pick...worst pick i have ever seen!!!!!!! ;) only j/k

Not a bad pick man, Talib is a good player...and would be a good fit in Pittsburgh...BUT...i think we have got bigger needs i.e. OT and WR. If the top OT's are off the board, i wouldn't mind lookin at a CB or WR...either James Hardy or Earl Bennett at WR, or Talib or Cason at CB. My ideal mock for the Steelers would consist of;

1 - James Hardy WR
2 - Chris Williams OT
3 - Charles Godfrey CB

...watch out for Godfrey, he is gonna be a riser come draft time!

Jakey
12-13-2007, 01:52 PM
EDIT: double post

A Perfect Score
12-13-2007, 02:06 PM
WTF for that Steelers pick...worst pick i have ever seen!!!!!!! ;) only j/k

Not a bad pick man, Talib is a good player...and would be a good fit in Pittsburgh...BUT...i think we have got bigger needs i.e. OT and WR. If the top OT's are off the board, i wouldn't mind lookin at a CB or WR...either James Hardy or Earl Bennett at WR, or Talib or Cason at CB. My ideal mock for the Steelers would consist of;

1 - James Hardy WR
2 - Chris Williams OT
3 - Charles Godfrey CB

...watch out for Godfrey, he is gonna be a riser come draft time!

well i figured that talib was the best value there...he is a surefire first rounder, and you are getting him late in the round. DB is a need, and especially when you have to deal with guys like Braylon Edwards twice a year and CJ and Houshmanzadeh. I hear ya on godfrey, im a big fan of his and i think he could jump into the early 2nd/late first area but as of now, he isnt above talib. also, i know OT is a need, but at that point there werent any premier prospects left, expecially none with better value hten talib. the steelers can afford a pick like that.

Jakey
12-13-2007, 02:15 PM
^ Ye man, i wasnt thinking of Godfrey as a 1st rounder...he is just a CB i would like if we looked at another position in round 1.

i.e. if Talib was off the board (aswell as the top OT's) i would draft a player like Hardy or Bennett in round 1...and look to add Godfrey later on.

art vandelay
12-13-2007, 03:25 PM
fair enough...i appreciate the input. I tried to give them a player who fit their system, although i guess a solid red zone threat is key as well. Also, at that point, jackson is BPA and with kelly gone, i dont know who you would like there...any idea?

I think Sweed or Bowman at that point. I'm more partial to Sweed.

A Perfect Score
12-14-2007, 08:22 AM
I think Sweed or Bowman at that point. I'm more partial to Sweed.

fair enough...wat about a guy like james hardy? Is he a fit for buffalo schematically? and dammit, where are all the seahawk fans!

Finsfan79
12-14-2007, 09:21 AM
miami pick is fine by me, and understandable the reasons there too

Bar-bq
12-15-2007, 01:27 AM
The rams took a player last year in adam carriker who is very similar to chris long: a bigger defensive end with a solid motor and surprising pass rush abilities. Ultimately, I think carriker will end up back outside, and I just didnt think the rams would be willing to invest another high pick and top 3 money on a player similar to their last first rounder. And i do think Long can play LT in the nfl btw...

also note, i dont think adam carriker is on the level of chris long, just a comparison and a POR lol

Carriker is currently playing Under Tackle with Rookie Clifton Ryan playing the Nose Tackle position. At end, James Hall has been average, and Leonard Little was the same until he was injured and went down for the year. I'd assume Long would be a great fit to man the defensive end position, as opposed to the DT, which is manned by the aforementioned Carriker and Ryan (who are both doing a really solid job)