PDA

View Full Version : Our cap situation...

Smokey Joe
12-10-2007, 05:56 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/12/09/week14/4.html

looks like we will have 19 million of cap room, but after cuts and perhaps renegotiating some bonuses (ie turning regular bonuses into the signing bonus, Darwin Walker is a prime example of this for us) that number can increase to about 25 million. Lets say the rookie pool is 5 mil, so we should have plenty to resign Briggs and Berrian, while making some smaller signings as well and keeping enough to extend Harris' contract.

bearsfan_51
12-10-2007, 06:01 PM
That's good to hear, but the biggest concern isn't so much cap space as it is being competitive in a market where everyone is going to have ungodly amounts of cap room and revenue.

On the other hand, this yet again reinforces why we should absolutely put the cap on Berrian if we can't sign him longterm.

Smokey Joe
12-10-2007, 06:08 PM
at first I thought we would have less cap room, more like 10-15 range, so I didn't think franchising Berrian would be the smartest thing, but now overpaying him by 2-3 million wouldn't be such a bad thing.

As long as we keep Briggs long term, I'll be happy.

k0ng
12-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Any chance we have enough to resign Briggs, Berrian, and nab an OG in FA? I think there are some decent young ones that are going to be available.

pellepelle_10
12-11-2007, 02:41 AM
Any chance we have enough to resign Briggs, Berrian, and nab an OG in FA? I think there are some decent young ones that are going to be available.

This is more reason to sign at least one O-Lineman in FA which will give us some breathing room to utilize the 1st round pick on the best available QB, RB, or O-Lineman that lands to us.

I like your option of getting a fat boy such as Corey Williams from the Pack.

I'd also like the option to get any of these lineman to help us out.

OT - Max Starks - Pitt
OT- Travelle Wharton - Carolina

OG- Jake Scott - Indy
OG- Ryan Lilja - Indy

bearsfan_51
12-11-2007, 03:04 AM
No to Indy lineman. They always go elsewhere and absolutely fail. It's the system. NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOO.

Hurricane Ditka
12-11-2007, 08:55 AM
This is more reason to sign at least one O-Lineman in FA which will give us some breathing room to utilize the 1st round pick on the best available QB, RB, or O-Lineman that lands to us.

I like your option of getting a fat boy such as Corey Williams from the Pack.

I'd also like the option to get any of these lineman to help us out.

OT - Max Starks - Pitt
OT- Travelle Wharton - Carolina

OG- Jake Scott - Indy
OG- Ryan Lilja - IndyWe will have to overpay drastically for any of those 4.

awfullyquiet
12-12-2007, 05:04 PM
OG- Jake Scott - Indy
OG- Ryan Lilja - Indy

indy linemen are are like denver linemen.

neither of which we want. silly.

the cap room is a good thing though... hopefully we'll be able to take some from walkers HUGE 5mil contract back...

keeping briggs is paramount...
berrian is less so. as good as i think he is... we can't overpay him... period. if we can keep his contract down by keeping him in chicago, we we should take it...