PDA

View Full Version : Colt Brennan Scouting Report

Scott Wright
12-11-2007, 01:34 AM
It's the day D-Unit has been waiting for...

I just posted by scouting report on Colt Brennan, you can link to it via the main page:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com

cordscords
12-11-2007, 01:36 AM
Nice work as always Scott. Nailed the scouting report IMO.

Forenci
12-11-2007, 01:41 AM
Great work. I liked it quite a bit. I think a lot of Brennan's character concerns have been addressed, at least in my mind, but I feel like it was well noted.

Woohoo! Here's to many more, Scott!

Turtlepower
12-11-2007, 02:02 AM
Isn't age also a concern? How old will he be when the draft comes anyway?

Paul
12-11-2007, 02:20 AM
Isn't age also a concern? How old will he be when the draft comes anyway?

24 during the draft, and 25 when the 2008-2009 season starts. A little older then your usual prospect, but not John Beck old.

D-Unit
12-11-2007, 02:23 AM
I guess how I can see how some who don't know him and only have an outsiders opinion may think he still has character concerns. Colt's not afraid of owning up to his mistakes, in fact he never turns down opportunities when asked to speak in front of troubled kids. But there should be no concerns for NFL teams if they are worried about getting a guy who doesn't have his priorities straight. The fact that he turned down the NFL last year knowingly turning down first round money, showed me that he's the type of guy who understands respect. For returning the favor to June Jones for giving him a second chance to succeed. For returning to his teammates who pleaded for his return. For returning to the people of the state of Hawaii who absolutely love him and needed him to return to take the program to the exact place where he has taken us. He's fulfilled all hopes and dreams for all of us already. It doesn't matter what happens from here on out, he's made all of us proud. If his character concerns are still a worry for someone, that person is simply overly paranoid. It should be a non-issue, but no doubt, this scouting process will keep it fresh in everyone's minds. 4 years ago and people still won't get over it. I'm not one to hold something against a guy for very long, but I guess it's fair that people do that to him. He did do it, but I just think it has nothing to do with anything to do with football and the type of player he will be. People live and learn. Colt has shown maturity in getting past this and he should not be labeled a "Character concern".

Forenci
12-11-2007, 02:45 AM
Well said, D-Unit. I don't think anyone could have said it better.

It's not really a concern for me either. He seems to be really good guy, from what I've seen. I don't know what it is about Brennan, but when I watched him play last year there was just something about his play that allured me to think this guy had it in him to be a good NFL QB - despite playing in a pass happy offense.

His release, while unorthodox, seems pretty effective. It's not like any side arm I've ever seen. It's not like Vince Young's in regard it's a heavy wrist motion that comes out just near the shoulder, it's more of an out stretched arm that seems to release below the forehead area.

Personally, I fully expect him to be a starter some point in his NFL career. If not I suspect he'll be a top tier back up.

D-Unit
12-11-2007, 03:15 AM
Personally, I hope he goes to a team that is not in dire need of a QB next year. Not only does it mean he should have a better supporting cast around him, but he'll be given the time to adjust slowly. A year and a half to two years sitting, learning, spot playing would his best case scenario.

flrybranch
12-11-2007, 06:44 AM
Disagree DUnit

A first round selection was far from assured last year.

And if I were paying millions of dollars to someone to be the "Face" of my franchise I would have concerns about his character.

IMO Scott nailed it by saying: "At this point there are still more questions than answers with this guy, which makes him an awfully risky prospect."

neko4
12-11-2007, 07:21 AM
BYU and Houston have histories of producing system QB's, were Beck and Kolb system QB's.
ALso did BYU have a system when Young was there, he turned out okay. I think. I think that if Brennan gets a year or two to sit he'll be just fine.

Jughead10
12-11-2007, 08:05 AM
While I don't think the character concerns are a huge deal anymore, of course they are going to be brought up. When you plan on making an investment that could be 20 million or upwards, you are going to exhaust all options to make sure it won't blow up in your face. How many years removed is he from high school? Six? There are definitely more questions than answers with Brennan.

drowe
12-11-2007, 08:14 AM
the chick he fondled probably wanted it anyway.

Jughead10
12-11-2007, 08:37 AM
the chick he fondled probably wanted it anyway.

I agree. I bet he dropped the "I was Matt Leinart's backup in high school" line on her.

ATLDirtyBirds
12-11-2007, 09:46 AM
I think the game vs Georgia as well as his Senior Bowl preformance will be vital.

RyanLeaf#1
12-11-2007, 09:53 AM
I think the game vs Georgia as well as his Senior Bowl preformance will be vital.

Hawaii who put up 49 points on UNLV has a batter ranked pass defense then Georgia so I dont see Colt having any problem hanging 40 plus points on Georgia.

Jughead10
12-11-2007, 10:02 AM
Hawaii who put up 49 points on UNLV has a batter ranked pass defense then Georgia so I dont see Colt having any problem hanging 40 plus points on Georgia.

Rankings like that mean very little to me. What would UNLV's pass defense be ranked if they played in a conference like the SEC.

RyanLeaf#1
12-11-2007, 10:08 AM
Rankings like that mean very little to me. What would UNLV's pass defense be ranked if they played in a conference like the SEC.

Probably around the same because teams average 180 plus yards rushing aganist them. So they barely pass hence why they are ranked better then Georgia in Pass defense.

Brent
12-11-2007, 11:51 AM
What qualifies him as having bust potential? Being a system QB or being surrounded by hype or possibly something else?

steelernation77
12-11-2007, 11:59 AM
I guess how I can see how some who don't know him and only have an outsiders opinion may think he still has character concerns. Colt's not afraid of owning up to his mistakes, in fact he never turns down opportunities when asked to speak in front of troubled kids. But there should be no concerns for NFL teams if they are worried about getting a guy who doesn't have his priorities straight. The fact that he turned down the NFL last year knowingly turning down first round money, showed me that he's the type of guy who understands respect. For returning the favor to June Jones for giving him a second chance to succeed. For returning to his teammates who pleaded for his return. For returning to the people of the state of Hawaii who absolutely love him and needed him to return to take the program to the exact place where he has taken us. He's fulfilled all hopes and dreams for all of us already. It doesn't matter what happens from here on out, he's made all of us proud. If his character concerns are still a worry for someone, that person is simply overly paranoid. It should be a non-issue, but no doubt, this scouting process will keep it fresh in everyone's minds. 4 years ago and people still won't get over it. I'm not one to hold something against a guy for very long, but I guess it's fair that people do that to him. He did do it, but I just think it has nothing to do with anything to do with football and the type of player he will be. People live and learn. Colt has shown maturity in getting past this and he should not be labeled a "Character concern".

That's all well and good that he returned to the team and has shown leadership but the fact remains that he sexually assaulted a woman, in most people's eyes a pretty big deal, and therefore I would still question his character.

Addict
12-11-2007, 12:06 PM
I agree. I bet he dropped the "I was Matt Leinart's backup in high school" line on her.

I can't imagine how quick that top hit the floor...

MidwayMonster31
12-11-2007, 12:11 PM
What qualifies him as having bust potential? Being a system QB or being surrounded by hype or possibly something else?I think system QB could be the main problem. Since he played out of the shotgun most of his career, he would have to adjust to being under center and dropping back. Like any other quarterback, adjusting to the speed of the game is important. And learning a new offense is important too.
He may get passes knocked down at the line of scrimmage with a low release. Even though I think he's at 205 pounds now, taking hits might be a problem for him, especially that concussion he suffered. I don't know how good his deep ball is. A west-coast offense would probably be the best fit for him.

princefielder28
12-11-2007, 12:11 PM
Very nice evaluation Scott! I am a big fan of Colt and believe he has that "IT" about him and he will have success in the NFL. I don't believe he should start right away and a year or two watching and learning will make a world of difference.

Addict
12-11-2007, 12:15 PM
Colt will be a very very good starter IF he is given time... he's just not ready for the nfl...

D-Rod
12-11-2007, 12:30 PM
I think that he could find a nice fit with Petrino, if the Falcons decide that Brohm isn't worth a top-5 pick and they can't trade down to mid-1st. Petrino has already said that he accepts that any rookie would have to sit for a year, so Brennan should get the developmental time he needs.

That said, we'd need to upgrade our O-line before getting him on the field, because Colt's rather slight frame would be killed behind our current O-line.

Scott Wright
12-11-2007, 12:45 PM
Actually the character concerns don't necessarily stem from what happened in Colorado. From the people I have spoken to the character concerns they are worried about is a cocky attitude and a love of getting face time on tv and hearing his own voice.

Personally I think that is bunk for the most part and there is nothing wrong with a player, especially a quarterback, being able to handle himself well in the media. Nevertheless that is the issue that is out there...

RyanLeaf#1
12-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Actually the character concerns don't necessarily stem from what happened in Colorado. From the people I have spoken to the character concerns they are worried about is a cocky attitude and a love of getting face time on tv and hearing his own voice.

Personally I think that is bunk for the most part and there is nothing wrong with a player, especially a quarterback, being able to handle himself well in the media. Nevertheless that is the issue that is out there...

In your opinion who is drafted first Joe Flacco or Brennan?

Addict
12-11-2007, 12:50 PM

Well he should get used to the spotlight soon enough once he hits the pros.

D-Unit
12-11-2007, 01:05 PM

Cocky attitude? I don't get that one at all. Are these the same people that told you Leonard Peters didn't speak English very well? I dunno.

Love of getting TV time is based off one thing.... and one thing ONLY. To get better exposure for the Hawaii football program. The more TV time, the better exposure for the program. Colt is very open about doing things that will help the program grow in any way. He's outspoken when it comes to the poor facilities at UH and we all love him for it. Something needs to be done and hopefully, something is done soon, thanks to him. We can't compete in recruiting battles when our facilities look the way they are.

You'll never see Colt talking about himself. I've never heard him give glory to himself for anything. It's always about his teammates, coaches, the program and the people of Hawaii. If anyone anywhere can find something out of his mouth that sounds like he's got a cocky attitude or loving to hear himself talk, I would really love to hear it. Without proof, don't believe everything you hear.

D-Unit
12-11-2007, 01:10 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/7550056

Peter Schrager
Special to FOXSports.com

I spoke with Hawaii's Colt Brennan for awhile at Saturday night's Heisman ceremony. He had the line of the night. When I asked him whether he thought playing in Hawaii hurt his chances for the Heisman, he responded with a laugh: "I don't know. I have no regrets. I went to the University of Hawaii for three years. The way I see it the joke's on everyone else."

You know what? He's right.

When relaying the line to a couple of friends, my buddy Mike noted, "Seems like a pretty cool guy." To this, my friend Bryan answered, "His name is Colt Brennan. Is there any chance a guy named Colt Brennan isn't going to be a cool guy? He could be in the life insurance world and be a cool guy."

Fair point.

Everyone knows Brennan's career accomplishments. The single-season Division I-A passing touchdown record; the career Division I-A passing touchdown record; 23 other Division 1-A records; an undefeated season, etc. That's all good and well. Is Brennan an NFL quarterback, though?

I think so. Having watched several Hawaii games over the past three seasons, I've become absolutely enamored with the way he throws a football. It's unlike most other quarterbacks I've seen. The release it most resembles is Kerry Collins' motion, and even that is a stretch.

The scouts and NFL writers are going to pick apart his throwing style come February. That's almost as definite as taxes, death, and another Lindsay Lohan meltdown. But that shouldn't deter teams from going with the guy. Most draft pundits I've spoken to have Brennan listed as a late second-, early third-round draft pick.

Personally, with the absolute dearth of quality QB's in the league as made evident in an NFL week where Brock Berlin, Chris Redman, and two McCown brothers started games I can't see him slipping out of the first round. Brennan has a fantastic touch and one of the quicker releases you'll see.

Sure, he's not built like Tim Tebow or Vince Young. And no, he doesn't have the arm of a Jay Cutler. But he's a special quarterback and certainly one I can see manning an NFL squad in future years.

D-Unit
12-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Post Heisman Interview

http://www.todaysthv.com/video/sports/player.aspx?aid=56906&bw=

Is this what those guys consider a cocky tv time lovin' character concern? To me he's just a class act.

D-Unit
12-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Disagree DUnit

A first round selection was far from assured last year.

And if I were paying millions of dollars to someone to be the "Face" of my franchise I would have concerns about his character.

IMO Scott nailed it by saying: "At this point there are still more questions than answers with this guy, which makes him an awfully risky prospect."
Far from assured, sure. But in his mind, according to the sources he knew and heard from, he was turning down a sure first round selection. That is the point you need to understand.

Only people who have questions are those who haven't done their homework yet. That's understandable.

Jughead10
12-11-2007, 01:27 PM
I'm a sick demented person. I kind of hope Brennan just fails miserably to see D-Unit's reaction.

D-Unit
12-11-2007, 01:35 PM
I'm a sick demented person. I kind of hope Brennan just fails miserably to see D-Unit's reaction.
I bet you're not the only one. But anyways, he won't fail. If he does, I'll just be on the next Hawaii QB that's gonna be hyped up to be better than Brennan. ;)

It never ends. :D

DiG
12-11-2007, 01:38 PM

hahahhahaaha that post cracked me up i gotta admit.

soybean
12-11-2007, 01:48 PM
i heard mike mayock on the radio and he doesn't think Colt Brennan isnt an nfl qb. he said he doesn't have the arm strength and he can't complete a 15 yar "comebacker".

He said matt Ryan can complete all the throws and is a top 5 pick.

Jughead10
12-11-2007, 01:50 PM
i heard mike mayock on the radio and he doesn't think Colt Brennan is an nfl qb. he said he doesn't have the arm strength and he can't complete a 15 yar "comebacker".

This is the main knock on him. We'll see how true it is. Nobody runs an offense like Hawaii in the NFL. This is the knock on many big time college QBs who have questions in the NFL. Jason White comes to mind right away.

D-Unit
12-11-2007, 01:51 PM
i heard mike mayock on the radio and he doesn't think Colt Brennan is an nfl qb. he said he doesn't have the arm strength and he can't complete a 15 yar "comebacker".

What did he say about Tony Romo?

That's pathetic film study if he says that.

Jughead10
12-11-2007, 01:54 PM
What did he say about Tony Romo?

That's pathetic film study if he says that.

Tony Romo is the expection, not the norm. It's also the reason he was a UDFA. No one is giving Tony Romo 20 million dollars coming out of college.

D-Unit
12-11-2007, 02:08 PM
Tony Romo is the expection, not the norm. It's also the reason he was a UDFA. No one is giving Tony Romo 20 million dollars coming out of college.
Trust me. Colt isn't the norm. You want moxie? Moxie isn't just your actions on the on the field, it's also in your words. Colt is passionate in the words that come out of his mouth in the confidence he exudes. That passion can be seen on and off the field in his love for football. You want this guy leading your team, you don't want a guy who shows fear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62H2wRvM4mo

Jughead10
12-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Trust me. Colt isn't the norm. You want moxie? Moxie isn't just your actions on the on the field, it's also in your words. Colt is passionate in the words that come out of his mouth in the confidence he exudes. That passion can be seen on and off the field in his love for football. You want this guy leading your team, you don't want a guy who shows fear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62H2wRvM4mo

Thats fine. I agree with that. But he still has to show he can make all the throws. You can be as passionate and confident as you want, but you have to make the throws.

D-Unit
12-11-2007, 02:15 PM
Here's a nice debate on ESPN's First Take...

Can Colt Brennan make it in the pros? Some nice footage there of his throws, but it's just an inkling of a sample.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32l1Frdw2hU&feature=related

D-Unit
12-11-2007, 02:26 PM
Total Package

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtaRtC1z7XI&feature=related

P.S. Thanks Scott, I love this thread! :D

12-11-2007, 02:26 PM
I know we have all heard it before but the only concern I have about Colt Brennan is the strength of schedule more than anything. I will attempt to refrain from evaluating him until I see how he fares against an elite program like Georgia. If he does well there I wont hold back from calling him a future star NFL QB. Until now the comparison I have likened most to Brennan is Rich Gannon but only time will tell.

D-Unit
12-11-2007, 02:28 PM
i know we have all heard it before but the only concern i have about colt brennan is the strength of schedule more than anything. i will attempt to refrain from evaluating him until i see how he fares against an elite program like georgia. if he does well there i wont hold back from calling him a future star NFL QB. until now the comparison i have likened most to brennan is rich gannon but only time will tell.
SOS is only a real concern for this season. Look at Hawaii's previous seasons.

ATLDirtyBirds
12-11-2007, 02:30 PM
Post Heisman Interview

http://www.todaysthv.com/video/sports/player.aspx?aid=56906&bw=

Is this what those guys consider a cocky tv time lovin' character concern? To me he's just a class act.

Wow, DUnit doesn't think poorly of Colt? Wasn't expecting this.

Addict
12-11-2007, 02:33 PM
I gotta say I'm with D on this one, Colt is a fantastic player, who just needs some time to adjust in order to be a great QB.

Flyboy
12-11-2007, 02:37 PM

LOL. I can understand sticking up and liking a player, but damn. I thought I was bad for defending Reggie Bush when I do. Geez.

D-Unit
12-11-2007, 02:39 PM
The way I used the words "class act" were in a positive manner. ...not the usual way I use it when addressing you.

D-Unit
12-11-2007, 02:41 PM
LOL. I can understand sticking up and liking a player, but damn. I thought I was bad for defending Reggie Bush when I do. Geez.
Reggie Bush didn't need defending...there was no questioning his talent.

Colt on the other hand is misunderstood.

Flyboy
12-11-2007, 02:43 PM

I meant as an NFL player.

ATLDirtyBirds
12-11-2007, 02:45 PM
The way I used the words "class act" were in a positive manner. ...not the usual way I use it when addressing you.

I'm seriously in tears right now.

12-11-2007, 02:47 PM

trust me reggie is misunderstood especially on this board.

DiG
12-11-2007, 02:49 PM
i was on the fence when it comes to brennan till i saw this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=11iy5WyHyKM

D-Unit
12-11-2007, 02:50 PM
I'm seriously in tears right now.
You should be. You just got pwned when your sarcasm backfired.

While we're on the subject of tears... Here's a true tear jerking moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGgy5RtUCOM&feature=related

Like I said... the guy is a passionate player.

georgiafan
12-11-2007, 02:58 PM
d unit, How do you think he would fit in with the falcons scheme ?

Sportsfan486
12-11-2007, 03:21 PM
To me he's just a class act.

I agree. Guys that are "accused" of assaulting women and convicted of crimes stemming from said incident are classy, how can you argue it? ...

This guy is so overrated as a prospect. I really don't think he has that much going for him. Okay, he's pretty accurate.. making easy throws. Great? His arm strength is mediocre, his delivery is awful, he played in an easy QB system, he's way too thin. Obviously not a good character guy.

I would be pretty surprised if he went in the 1st, but ya never know.

D-Unit
12-11-2007, 03:23 PM
d unit, How do you think he would fit in with the falcons scheme ?
Systematically, according to scheme, I think Petrino's offense would be a great fit for Brennan. However, because of the supporting cast, I think any QB will have a tough time until the OL improves and the WR corps is rebuilt. I think Jenkins is a bust, Horn is too old and White is the best thing since sliced bread. I think Laurent Robinson has some promise, though. Norwood appears to be a nice part of the equation from an outsider's perspective. I think Petrino will be looking to add a bigger back to form a committee to compliment Norwood's style...like what Michael Bush did for him at Louisville.

D-Unit
12-11-2007, 03:32 PM
I agree. Guys that are "accused" of assaulting women and convicted of crimes stemming from said incident are classy, how can you argue it? ...

This guy is so overrated as a prospect. I really don't think he has that much going for him. Okay, he's pretty accurate.. making easy throws. Great? His arm strength is mediocre, his delivery is awful, he played in an easy QB system, he's way too thin. Obviously not a good character guy.

I would be pretty surprised if he went in the 1st, but ya never know.
Overrated by who? By Scott saying he's a first day guy? Definitely not by Mayock, we've seen what he's said. Kiper doesn't even have him on his Top 5 Senior QB list. So I ask you, who is he overrated by?

Way too thin? What's he gonna do? Break in half?

Colt has learned from his mistake and he handles it like a man. It's obviously not gonna happen again. Have you seen his hot girlfriend he's had of several years now?

Wanna talk about overreaction? His character concerns are overreacted upon. He's a good guy, team guy and team leader and passionate about the game of football.

Iamcanadian
12-11-2007, 03:41 PM
I was watching the CBS pre game show and the commentators said they had asked numerous NFL GM's about Colt and most had him as the #2 QB on their boards but a few had him ahead of Ryan who they said was #1. So I have to assume that he will go pretty high in round 1 probably in the 10 to 15 group.
He has a pro arm not a rocket by any means but at least an average arm by pro standards. He's smart and has a quick release. Not yet sure about his ability to read defenses because that is hard to judge in his offensive system. He certainly appears to be accurate. There are definitely some character issues but kids do grow up and it will be particularly important how he interviews at the combine if he wants to remain in round 1.

art vandelay
12-11-2007, 04:38 PM
I wonder if there will be as many notes and as in-depth for Shaheer McBride.

Smokey Joe
12-11-2007, 04:53 PM
nice work again Scott...

is this the 3rd scouting report so far?

SchizophrenicBatman
12-11-2007, 05:06 PM
All I'll say is that I'd much rather take him in round 2 or 3 than take Matt Ryan in the top 5

RyanLeaf#1
12-11-2007, 05:13 PM
Well it looks like Brennan wont fit into Petrinos system at all.

D-Unit
12-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Well it looks like Brennan wont fit into Petrinos system at all.
Yeah well Colt fits June Jones' system. Watch for rumors to surface of June Jones being back in ATL... especially with the success NE is having. Not saying it'll happen, but if it does.... you know where you heard it first. ;)

Hahaha... what a silly thought. :D

DChess
12-11-2007, 07:28 PM
his delivery scares me, but i think others before him with a similar delivery had other things to fall back on, vince young was 2 inchs taller and he also had his legs, and rivers has a stronger arm than brennan. also, i havent seen some of the pretiest thrown balls from brennan, a couple ducks, maybe lofted them a little too much. im not sold on him, i dont think i would use a first or second on him.

D-Unit
12-11-2007, 07:32 PM
his delivery scares me, but i think others before him with a similar delivery had other things to fall back on, vince young was 2 inchs taller and he also had his legs, and rivers has a stronger arm than brennan. also, i havent seen some of the pretiest thrown balls from brennan, a couple ducks, maybe lofted them a little too much. im not sold on him, i dont think i would use a first or second on him.
First off, I don't think the NFL guys will make him a first or second round pick either...

But as far as your statement goes about his passes, they couldn't be anything further than the truth. Seriously. That one boggles me. Where does it come from?

DChess
12-11-2007, 07:33 PM
First off, I don't think the NFL guys will make him a first or second round pick either...

But as far as your statement goes about his passes, they couldn't be anything further than the truth. Seriously. That one boggles me. Where does it come from?

clips ive seen of him?

D-Unit
12-11-2007, 07:34 PM
clips ive seen of him?
Do you have link(s)?

DChess
12-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Do you have link(s)?

its stuff ive seen on tv, but ill go searching online to see some highlight clips.

D-Unit
12-11-2007, 07:39 PM
its stuff ive seen on tv, but ill go searching online to see some highlight clips.
OK sounds good. Let me know after all your searching if you find something. Might be hard to find. ;)

DChess
12-11-2007, 07:40 PM
just highlight stuff, but even then some of his passes of a little wobble to them, they arent the tight spiral, you would like, but im think thats because of his arm angle.

DChess
12-11-2007, 07:47 PM
i just got to watch the san jose st game again, woof

Primetime21
12-11-2007, 07:58 PM
OK sounds good. Let me know after all your searching if you find something. Might be hard to find. ;)

I have read a lot on what you think is strengths are and I am pretty interested into what you think his weakness are?

D-Unit
12-11-2007, 08:10 PM
i just got to watch the san jose st game again, woof
Then you realize they were playing in a pool of mud right in rainy weather right? ..and you realize how that might have an effect on the grip of the ball???

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/dailypix/2007/Oct/13/hawaii710130359V1_b.jpg

DChess
12-11-2007, 08:11 PM
Then you realize they were playing in a pool of mud right in rainy weather right? ..and you realize how that might have an effect on the grip of the ball???

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/dailypix/2007/Oct/13/hawaii710130359V1_b.jpg

um alrighty, im pretty sure that doesnt really help him when three times threw into triple coverage, one time, not even close to a reciever. was the idaho game raining?

Beans
12-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Man I want Brennan on the Bucs pretty bad.

D-Unit
12-11-2007, 08:35 PM
I have read a lot on what you think is strengths are and I am pretty interested into what you think his weakness are?
- 6'3" might be considered short for a QB to some people.

- He could benefit from a strong NFL weight strength regimen. I don't think he needs to gain fat weight just so people can see 225 pounds and think that he can withstand NFL pounding. If he build more muscle mass, that would make him a better player, imo.

- I think there will be a period of adjustment to the NFL game for him, but that's the same for every QB drafted. Will he need more time to adjust? I'm not so sure. He's a gun slinger, so he does a lot of thinking on the fly. The Hawaii Run N Shoot is nothing like the Texas Tech spread offense. In TT, the receivers run predetermined routes (so says Hawaii DC George Mackin who used to coach at TT). In the Run N Shoot, the route of the WR depends on the reads of the defense. Typically, there could be 3 different routes a WR could go on every snap. The QB and WR have to be on the same page when making reads. It's a complicated offense but it makes QBs look good.

- Gun slinger mentality: Can be good or bad. Early in his career at Hawaii he used to take a lot of risks where he threw the ball. A lot of boom or bust type plays. But as he got to know the offense, we saw less and less of that risk taking because he knew the offense better. So you might see that in him early in his NFL career if forced to play early. It's not necessarily a weakness that you could mark him down for, but as a scout, it's something that I would fit into the equation.

- His side arm delivery can be prone to passes being batted down, but it's never been a major concern. Yes, I've seen his passes batted down, but not any more than the average QB and that's impressive considering the amount of times he throws. Still, it has to be a concern until we see it in the NFL. It'll be interesting to see how many times that Georgia Bulldogs defensive line will bat the ball down. IF more than twice, then I think it starts to be a concerning factor. Anything less, and that's nothing unusual, imo.

- It's fair that the level of competition he's faced can be put against him. So scouts may mark that down as a weakness. However, it's not like he's the QB of an SEC team playing teams in the WAC. He's on a WAC team playing teams in the WAC.

Canadian_kid16
12-11-2007, 08:36 PM

I love you Beans...

If he can fall to us in the second round, I would be friggin estatic if we picked him up. If we resign Garcia for a year, let Brennan be #3 for the year (I tinhk McCown can be a good backup), and then start him two years down the road, we would be in good shape for 6-8 years IMO

ah, good thoughts, good thoughts

D-Unit
12-11-2007, 08:43 PM
um alrighty, im pretty sure that doesnt really help him when three times threw into triple coverage, one time, not even close to a reciever. was the idaho game raining?
Part of being a gun slinger. Sometimes he's over-confident. Not like it happens so much that you're wondering what's going on in his head. Part of the Run N Shoot is being on the same page with the WR when the both of you have to make 3 different route decisions. So he was off once? Sue him. LOL.

Hawaii smashed Idaho right? Ok, just checking. Uh, Colt played on a sprained ankle (which caused him to miss the next game) so planting his foot every time he passes was a problem. To me, it showed toughness that he was willing to play through it, but on the stat sheet, it looked bad.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
12-11-2007, 09:41 PM
I'd be surprised if he's 6'3'', or even 6'1''. In that segment on sports center he looked very small as he was shorter than Desmond Howard(albeit the land was a little slanted), Desmond Howard is 5'9'', not very good to be a little bit taller than that.

D-Unit
12-12-2007, 03:58 AM
I'd be surprised if he's 6'3'', or even 6'1''. In that segment on sports center he looked very small as he was shorter than Desmond Howard(albeit the land was a little slanted), Desmond Howard is 5'9'', not very good to be a little bit taller than that.
This is not the best picture... but I remember watching the Heisman ceremony and Colt was not only towering over Chase Daniels, but he was not that much shorter than Tebow.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20071209/capt.8acf24a4a6e44b3fb119a512ca9084ab.heisman_trop hy_footall_nyjj101.jpg

DChess
12-12-2007, 04:55 AM
This is not the best picture... but I remember watching the Heisman ceremony and Colt was not only towering over Chase Daniels, but he was not that much shorter than Tebow.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20071209/capt.8acf24a4a6e44b3fb119a512ca9084ab.heisman_trop hy_footall_nyjj101.jpg

im pretty sure chase daniel's height constitutes him as a legal midget

Scott Wright
12-12-2007, 05:50 AM
nice work again Scott...

is this the 3rd scouting report so far?

Yea, I really need to get going on these but other things keep coming up.

The plan is still to have all the Senior Bowl guys done before I leave for Mobile.

Scott Wright
12-12-2007, 05:54 AM
As I've said all along Brennan has the potential to be one of the most controversial prospects the NFL Draft has seen in a while.

To be honest I am not even really sure where I stand yet and since I've been going to Mobile for the Senior Bowl there there might not be a prospect who I am more anxious to see down there. I am probably going to base a huge portion of my final opinion on how he projects by what I see in those practices.

MidwayMonster31
12-12-2007, 02:49 PM
To be honest I am not even really sure where I stand yet and since I've been going to Mobile for the Senior Bowl there there might not be a prospect who I am more anxious to see down there. I am probably going to base a huge portion of my final opinion on how he projects by what I see in those practices.Brennan is the wild card of of this draft by far.
BTW, just curious, what exactly do you look for when you see these prospects practice and play in these post-season all-star games?

holt_bruce81
12-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Nice work.

Does anyone remember a few weeks ago when I think it was the BC vs Virginia Tech game when they announcer was saying Colt Brennan was exactly like Ben Roethlisberger. He said Brennan was 6'4 and around 230 pounds.

I laughed.

D-Unit
12-12-2007, 03:23 PM
Nice work.

Does anyone remember a few weeks ago when I think it was the BC vs Virginia Tach game when they announcer was saying Colt Brennan was exactly like Ben Roethlisberger. He said Brennan was 6'4 and around 230 pounds.

I laughed.
Ah.... the Legend grows.... :D Funny stuff.

Scott Wright
12-13-2007, 02:53 AM
In case anyone is interested here were the final numbers from my main page poll on Brennan before I took it down:

What Kind of Pro Will Hawaii's Colt Brennan Be?

Backup 41.6%
Star 41.4%
Bust 17.0%

Bengals1690
12-13-2007, 10:18 AM
He needs to get drafted by a team like Seattle, Carolina, or the Lions. A team with a mentor quarterback in front of him where he wont play for 1-2 years....

Wow, just imagine Brennan's stats if he played in a Martz's system... I just hope he doesn't get killed every play. He would be a great fit for the Lions know that i think about it.

RyanLeaf#1
12-13-2007, 10:23 AM
He needs to get drafted by a team like Seattle, Carolina, or the Lions. A team with a mentor quarterback in front of him where he wont play for 1-2 years....

Wow, just imagine Brennan's stats if he played in a Martz's system... I just hope he doesn't get killed every play. He would be a great fit for the Lions know that i think about it.

Didnt the Lions draft Drew Stanton last year? Why would they waste another pick on a QB?

Bengals1690
12-13-2007, 10:27 AM
Didnt the Lions draft Drew Stanton last year? Why would they waste another pick on a QB?

because drew stanton is no where near as good as Colt Brennan.

and i was just giving examples of good fits for him. He would be beastly in a Martz offense.

RyanLeaf#1
12-13-2007, 10:59 AM
because drew stanton is no where near as good as Colt Brennan.

and i was just giving examples of good fits for him. He would be beastly in a Martz offense.

Drew Stanton is no where near as good as Brennan based on what? He was the 43rd pick overall. Hes on injured reserve this year, but the Lions arent going to waste another early pick on a QB.

Bengals1690
12-14-2007, 10:22 AM
Drew Stanton is no where near as good as Brennan based on what? He was the 43rd pick overall. Hes on injured reserve this year, but the Lions arent going to waste another early pick on a QB.

on the fact that if you watched one game with drew stanton in 2006, you would know exactly what im talking about. He threw 12 TDs 10 interceptions his senior year, and under 2000 yards passing, in the so called "watered down" Big 10.. And he is indecisive as hell. Brennan, meanwhile, throws a billion times more, yet has a 10 percent better completion rating, and is considered a top 20 prospect. Stanton was lucky to go in round 2. And im sure it wouldnt be the first time that a team has drafted a quarterback in the first round after they drafted one the year before.

RyanLeaf#1
12-14-2007, 10:32 AM
on the fact that if you watched one game with drew stanton in 2006, you would know exactly what im talking about. He threw 12 TDs 10 interceptions his senior year, and under 2000 yards passing, in the so called "watered down" Big 10.. And he is indecisive as hell. Brennan, meanwhile, throws a billion times more, yet has a 10 percent better completion rating, and is considered a top 20 prospect. Stanton was lucky to go in round 2. And im sure it wouldnt be the first time that a team has drafted a quarterback in the first round after they drafted one the year before.

Brennan is considered a top 20 prospect by who? Like you said Brennan throws a billion times more. In Stantons senior year he threw the ball 269 times in 11 games. So far this year in 10 games Brennan has thrown the ball 472 times. Of course he is going to have better stats then Stanton. The watered down Big 10 is way better then the WAC. How was Stanton lucky to go in round 2? Im sure you have heard of the Senior Bowl. Thats a game where scouts really get an idea of how good players are. Stanon was named the MVP of that game.

Bengals1690
12-14-2007, 03:35 PM
Brennan is considered a top 20 prospect by who? Like you said Brennan throws a billion times more. In Stantons senior year he threw the ball 269 times in 11 games. So far this year in 10 games Brennan has thrown the ball 472 times. Of course he is going to have better stats then Stanton. The watered down Big 10 is way better then the WAC. How was Stanton lucky to go in round 2? Im sure you have heard of the Senior Bowl. Thats a game where scouts really get an idea of how good players are. Stanon was named the MVP of that game.

The only stat i noted was the completion percent....I know his yards and TDs will be greater, im not stupid. But despite throwing 200+ more times, brennan still has a 10 point better completion percentage. He is number 21 on scott's board... stanton never sniffed the top 30. Stanton is the most inconsistent quarterback i have ever seen. Again, i ask you, how many Michigan State games did you watch that he quarterbacked? Because if you did, you would know that the main reason he went to the lions at 43 is because he is a hometown product. And he is putting these numbers up with WAC talent around him, and stanton couldnt even get it through his brain to throw it really high and let Trannon go get it.

D-Unit
12-14-2007, 03:52 PM
Regardless of where Brennan is drafted, I hope he gets put into a situation where he's not destined to fail. That's my main hope.

draftguru151
12-14-2007, 04:10 PM
The only stat i noted was the completion percent....I know his yards and TDs will be greater, im not stupid. But despite throwing 200+ more times, brennan still has a 10 point better completion percentage. He is number 21 on scott's board... stanton never sniffed the top 30. Stanton is the most inconsistent quarterback i have ever seen. Again, i ask you, how many Michigan State games did you watch that he quarterbacked? Because if you did, you would know that the main reason he went to the lions at 43 is because he is a hometown product. And he is putting these numbers up with WAC talent around him, and stanton couldnt even get it through his brain to throw it really high and let Trannon go get it.

Exactly one year ago Drew Stanton was ranked, you guessed it, #21.

P-L
12-14-2007, 04:52 PM
Stanton is garbage, but Matt Millen won't replace him without ever seeing him play.

Bengals1690
12-14-2007, 04:56 PM
Stanton is garbage, but Matt Millen won't replace him without ever seeing him play.

thank you.

D-Unit
12-14-2007, 06:50 PM
I still remember the Stanton to Elway comparisons people used to say here...

But remember this! Brennan = Romo!!!! :D

RyanLeaf#1
12-17-2007, 10:11 AM

Brennan is 21 on what board? .

Bengals1690
12-17-2007, 10:16 AM
Brennan is 21 on what board? .
scotts, like i said.

RyanLeaf#1
12-17-2007, 10:18 AM
scotts, like i said.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

That is the link to Scotts mock draft #21 is Derrick Harvey.

Bengals1690
12-17-2007, 10:19 AM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

That is the link to Scotts mock draft #21 is Derrick Harvey.

thats his mock, not his board.

Bengals1690
12-17-2007, 10:22 AM
linkage

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/rankings.html

RyanLeaf#1
12-17-2007, 10:29 AM
linkage

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/rankings.html

Okay he is number 21 on Scotts board. That means what exactly?.... Nothing.

Bengals1690
12-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Okay he is number 21 on Scotts board. That means what exactly?.... Nothing.

it means that he is number 21 on scotts board, duh.

scott wright is the draft master.

RyanLeaf#1
12-17-2007, 10:33 AM
it means that he is number 21 on scotts board, duh.

scott wright is the draft master.

Like I said before being number 21 on someones board means absolutely nothing. Hes probably a 3rd round pick, and the Lions wont use a 3rd rounder on him.

draftguru151
12-17-2007, 10:48 AM
And Stanton was in the SAME spot a year ago, so yea.

no love
12-17-2007, 02:38 PM
Like I said before being number 21 on someones board means absolutely nothing. Hes probably a 3rd round pick, and the Lions wont use a 3rd rounder on him.

Just like they won't pick a WR with their first round pick in 4/5 drafts. Oh...wait.

no love
12-17-2007, 02:42 PM

I think he would be a good pick up for the Bucs in the 1st round. He fits Grudens wco very well and I definitely see a lot of Rich Gannon in him. He has an ok arm but a quick release and an accurate catchable ball. His is mobile like Gannon was earlier on and can make plays from outside of the pocket. Gannon also had a low release point and it never was an issue because it was not a vertical passing game (he had to change his release when Gruden left).

I would love for him to go on the Bucs mainly because he could sit and learn the offense for a year or two behind Garcia before he got the starting job. The WCO typically takes 3 years to learn, 2 years sitting is good enough to have a basic understanding so that he can learn on the bench, understand the scheme and get his mechanics down.

I don't know that he will drop to the second round, seeing as how Atlanta, Baltimore, Panthers, Chicago, could all go for a different area of need and then address QB in round two and be picking way before the Bucs.

BeerBaron
12-17-2007, 03:19 PM
i wouldnt mind seeing brennan end up a bear as long as it wasnt in the first round. where the bears are picking, theyll most likely end up with the odd man out of the big 3 qb's, and i never like it when a team has thier QB picked for them in that way.

but if the bears rebolster thier D or o-line with thier first round pick, which is what id like to see them do with it, and then take a QB like brennan in round 2 or 3, id be very happy on draft day

D-Unit
12-17-2007, 03:48 PM
i wouldnt mind seeing brennan end up a bear as long as it wasnt in the first round. where the bears are picking, theyll most likely end up with the odd man out of the big 3 qb's, and i never like it when a team has thier QB picked for them in that way.

but if the bears rebolster thier D or o-line with thier first round pick, which is what id like to see them do with it, and then take a QB like brennan in round 2 or 3, id be very happy on draft day
I think he needs to go to a warm weather team.

BeerBaron
12-17-2007, 04:53 PM

well thats unfortunate if true...id like to think that a great player will be able to perform anywhere he goes

Bengals1690
12-17-2007, 04:56 PM

Hey, do me a favor and show me where i said the Lions would draft him? Because i only remember saying he would be a good fit with them. Thanks.

no love
12-17-2007, 05:26 PM

Maybe we should move a team to LA just for Colt Brennan, bc whats best for Colt is best for the world.

The only teams in the league that play only "warm weather" teams are teams in the NFC West, South and AFC South. Of those teams - Carolina, Tampa, and Atlanta could all use a qb. Colt will play in the South!

D-Unit
12-17-2007, 06:53 PM
well thats unfortunate if true...id like to think that a great player will be able to perform anywhere he goes
I have no idea if it's true. Just a hunch.

BeerBaron
12-17-2007, 07:26 PM
I have no idea if it's true. Just a hunch.

reguardless, i think tampa late in round 1 or possibly round 2 seems like a logical fit

D-Unit
12-17-2007, 07:26 PM
reguardless, i think tampa late in round 1 or possibly round 2 seems like a logical fit
I like St. Louis in Round 3.

BeerBaron
12-17-2007, 07:30 PM
I like St. Louis in Round 3.

really? all the way in 3?

Unless he really bombs leading up to the draft i think some team will take him to stick on the bench for a year or two sooner than that. Hes proven to be a very capable passer and I think hed really have to screw things up to still be on the board that late

jballa838
01-27-2008, 11:17 PM
funny how one game forces a guy from what many considered a top 3 round pick into a UDFA.
seriously.

Smokey Joe
01-27-2008, 11:34 PM
It's funny that if he declared last year he could have been a 1st round pick... speaking of people who should have declared, Sam Baker could have been a top 10 pick if declared last year.

hot route
01-27-2008, 11:38 PM
It's funny that if he declared last year he could have been a 1st round pick... speaking of people who should have declared, Sam Baker could have been a top 10 pick if declared last year.

+1, sam baker is exactly who came to mind when i thought of that too

skeet3r
01-27-2008, 11:49 PM
funny how one game forces a guy from what many considered a top 3 round pick into a UDFA.
seriously.

You're just mad CB15 destroyed your team. It's alright.

jballa838
01-28-2008, 12:01 AM
You're just mad CB15 destroyed your team. It's alright.
actually, I am just bumping this to prove to every Colt hater that he has dropped for no reason really.

ErikG803
01-28-2008, 01:46 AM
lol @ the defensive Hawai'i fan.

bearsfan_51
01-28-2008, 02:18 AM
actually, I am just bumping this to prove to every Colt hater that he has dropped for no reason really.
That's funny cause this thread is essentially everyone questioning Brennan, D-Unit defending him, and a few Bucs fans getting their jollies off.

But maybe Scott is a better source.

To be honest I am not even really sure where I stand yet and since I've been going to Mobile for the Senior Bowl there there might not be a prospect who I am more anxious to see down there. I am probably going to base a huge portion of my final opinion on how he projects by what I see in those practices.

ZOMG!! Scott is a hater!!!

D-Unit
01-28-2008, 02:28 AM
Colt should be enshrined as the most talked about prospect on NFLDC for the 2008 draft.

d34ng3l021
01-28-2008, 02:30 AM
Jordyzzz Nelsonzzz

BlindSite
01-28-2008, 02:31 AM
Hell of all the QBs he's got the most potential IMO.

Staubach12
01-28-2008, 03:38 PM
Hell of all the QBs he's got the most potential IMO.

I agree. It's not a strong class, and his potential is pretty big. He'll be a steal if he falls as far as some say he will.

adamprez2003
01-28-2008, 03:46 PM
Hell of all the QBs he's got the most potential IMO. Joe Flacco's blows his away in terms of potential but like Brennan he's got a ton of work to do. Flacco will definitely go before Brennan

adamprez2003
01-28-2008, 03:52 PM

Wow this could be a brutal revision