PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Teams Next Year

yeyoistheman
12-11-2007, 02:32 PM
So now that we know the BCS games are a joke and everything let's look to next season. I want to see what people think will be the Top 5 teams next year. Here is mine.

1. Florida-Has a shot to go undefeated. Tough games-Georgia, LSU

2. USC-Also has a good shot at undefeated season. Tough games-OSU, ASU

3. Oklahoma-A great shot at going undefeated, tough games-Mizzou, maybe Miami

4. Georgia-If it can beat Florida has a great shot at undefeated season. Tough games-Arizona St., Florida, LSU

5. Ohio St.-Will have a tough time with Illinois and USC on the schedule. But if they can win both they have a real good shot. Michigan also looms and that is always a big one. Although not reall lately.

kwilk103
12-11-2007, 02:36 PM
wvu---will only lose 2, maybe 3 on offense (schmitt, slaton, possibly reynaud; but have some real good fr stepping in); white returns; defense loses 6 starters, but the back-ups are more talented and got a lot of playing time (we rotate a lot); early test vs auburn and @ colorado

Michigan
12-11-2007, 02:44 PM
So now that we know the BCS games are a joke and everything let's look to next season. I want to see what people think will be the Top 5 teams next year. Here is mine.

4. Georgia-If it can beat Florida has a great shot at undefeated season. Tough games-Arizona St., Florida, LSU

5. Ohio St.-Will have a tough time with Illinois and USC on the schedule. But if they can win both they have a real good shot. Michigan also looms and that is always a big one. Although not reall lately.

i'll take your same 5.

12-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Theres no reason LSU shouldnt be on that list especially with most of their offense returning next year including stud QB Ryan Perrilloux who will finally get his chance to start a full season. Defensively they always recruit well so I wouldnt be too worried with the losses of some key guys there.

Iamcanadian
12-11-2007, 04:20 PM

It is going to be determined by who declares. A team can look real good today only to lose a heck of a lot of strong players if they declare.
On paper, Ohio St. with 21 starters returning looks to be the favourite but I can see them losing 3 studs on defense and 1 or 2 on offense which will bring them right down to reality.
USC has to replace Booty and that raises a huge question mark for them. They also could lose a junior or 2.
Oklahoma also looks very tough at this point if they don't lose too much as does Florida. Georgia is a bit of a longshot but they certainly have a chance.
The Big East returns a heck of a lot of starters plus almost all their starting QB's so I wouldn't count them out.
Alabama could surprise as well in their 2nd season under Saban and if Perrilloux develops, LSU could still be a threat.
Kansas and Missouri return their QB's plus a lot of starters so they will contend and Texas cannot be ignored either as their QB retuns as well.
Next year won't look like this season with so many starting QB's returning among the top teams but the top 10 could still be tough to make with so many good teams.

Michigan
12-11-2007, 04:44 PM
Right now I'd rank the top 10:

1. Florida
2. USC
3. Oklahoma
4. Ohio State
5. Georgia
6. LSU
7. West Virginia
8. Texas
9. Missouri
10. Clemson

I think FSU, ASU, and Wisconsin could make some noise next year too.

BamaFalcon59
12-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Virginia Tech is losing a ton of players, but hopefully stays top 15.

wiscbadgerfootball
12-11-2007, 04:54 PM
not saying they are top 5 but Wisconsin should get some heavy looks.. yes I did think the same think coming into this year but now we will have a lot more experience Donovan will be out at QB but the lineup should look something like this

QB- Allen Everidge
RB- PJ Hill/Zach Brown/Lance Smith/John Clay
FB- Chris Pressley
WR- Kyle Jefferson
WR- David Gilreath?
TE- Travis Beckum
T- Gabe Carimi
T- Jake Bscherer or Josh Oglesby could win this spot
G- Andy Kemp
G- Van Huevel?
C- Lose Leadership of Coleman.. open slot
DE- Matt Shaunnessey
DE- ?
DT- ?
DT- Champman?
LB- Jon Casillas
LB- Abdul Hodge
LB- DeAndre Levy
CB- Jack Ikegwuonu
CB- Allen Langford :( maybe Aaron Henry could take it over
S- Shane Carter
S- Aubrey Pleasant
K- lose very good kicker Taylor Melhaff
P- Ken DeBauche is gone but we have his little brother
KR/PR- Gilreath

solid experience this year

Sniper
12-11-2007, 05:11 PM
wvu---will only lose 2, maybe 3 on offense (schmitt, slaton, possibly reynaud; but have some real good fr stepping in); white returns; defense loses 6 starters, but the back-ups are more talented and got a lot of playing time (we rotate a lot); early test vs auburn and @ colorado

White still needs to toughen up and prove himself. Even Corso called him and Slaton out

soybean
12-11-2007, 05:12 PM
USC has to replace Booty and that raises a huge question mark for them. They also could lose a junior or 2.

LOL. pun intended? =D

etk
12-11-2007, 05:21 PM
SEC: LSU vs Georgia
Big 10: They all suck, but OSU is the best I guess.
Big 12: Oklahoma vs Missouri
ACC: Virginia vs Florida State. North Carolina is a serious dark horse, though.
PAC 10: USC is by far the best IMO.
Big East: WVU with USF a close second.

Top 5:

1. Oklahoma
2. Georgia
3. Florida
4. LSU
5. USC

Gribble
12-11-2007, 05:36 PM
Georgia, Florida, Oklahoma, Ohio St., and maybe Missouri would be my Top 5. USC deserves to be up there too but Missouri's QB play should be much better.

andyjo672
12-11-2007, 05:51 PM
not saying they are top 5 but Wisconsin should get some heavy looks.. yes I did think the same think coming into this year but now we will have a lot more experience Donovan will be out at QB but the lineup should look something like this

QB- Allen Everidge
RB- PJ Hill/Zach Brown/Lance Smith/John Clay
FB- Chris Pressley
WR- Kyle Jefferson
WR- David Gilreath?
TE- Travis Beckum
T- Gabe Carimi
T- Jake Bscherer or Josh Oglesby could win this spot
G- Andy Kemp
G- Van Huevel?
C- Lose Leadership of Coleman.. open slot
DE- Matt Shaunnessey
DE- ?
DT- ?
DT- Champman?
LB- Jon Casillas
LB- Abdul Hodge
LB- DeAndre Levy
CB- Jack Ikegwuonu
CB- Allen Langford :( maybe Aaron Henry could take it over
S- Shane Carter
S- Aubrey Pleasant
K- lose very good kicker Taylor Melhaff
P- Ken DeBauche is gone but we have his little brother
KR/PR- Gilreath

solid experience this year

It is going to depend HEAVILY on the play of Everidge. The running game looks to be as solid as ever.

There in conference schedule looks to be a tough one with games against Michigan, Ohio State, Illinois, Penn State, Michigan State, Iowa, Minnesota, and Indiana.

The non-conference schedule should be as easy as ever with games against Fresno State, Marshall and Akron.

Sniper
12-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Big 10: They all suck, but OSU is the best I guess.
Big 12: Oklahoma vs Missouri
PAC 10: USC is by far the best IMO.
Big East: WVU with USF a close second.

I love how you say the Big 10 sucks but don't say anything about the ACC or Big East....Humorous. And OSU likely returns 90% of their team...

etk
12-11-2007, 06:02 PM
I love how you say the Big 10 sucks but don't say anything about the ACC or Big East....Humorous. And OSU likely returns 90% of their team...

The ACC is horrible, but at least FSU is pretty much a clear front-runner. All the significant Big 10 teams will suffer a decrease in talent, but the same can't be said about the ACC and Big East. You have to understand the context.

Turtlepower
12-11-2007, 06:04 PM
As for ASU, I really don't care where we are ranked preseason because all that matters is when we play Georgia in the 3rd week. If we win that game then we are a bonafide top-5 pick. You can actually make a case for Georgia to be the #1 team next year.

Tampa 2 4 life
12-11-2007, 06:20 PM
I'll go a bit farther and do the Top 10

1. USC - A lot of their Defense will return, so if They can get a solid passing game with Booty gone I'd say they have to be the favorite.

2. Oklahoma - Bradford returns, they're Running game will still be top notch, and if Reggie Smith returns they will still have a good D.

3. Georgia - KNOWSHON! DEFENSE! STAFFORD!

4. Florida - If Tebow has a repeat performance and their secondary gets better, watch out.

5. Illinois - Ron Zook has another great recruiting class coming in, if Williams continues to show improvement with his arm this team will be dangerous.

6. West Virginia - Inexperience will be the deciding factor here. If they can rally around Pat White and Replace Schmitt and The Key Senior Defensive Players effectively, expect a BE Championship. Big Ifs though. I give them a slightly better chance if Slaton returns.

7. USF - Their season will hinder on 3 things: How they replace the corners, How they'll replace Moffitt, and Can They lessen Turnovers? They return one of the most Underrated Safety Tandems in America with Mitchell and Allen, Grothe should continue to improve when the Young Recievers mature, and they return Selvie.

8. LSU - Dorsey, Doucet, Steltz, and Hester will all bolt to the NFL. Expect Perriloux to have a good year in his first starting, but The more experienced Tebow and Stafford puts them 3rd in the SEC by my count.

9. Clemson - I love Cullen Harper as the Top QB in the ACC, they should keep both their RBs, and Their defense won't lose them any games.

10. Virginia - They lose Long but he wasn't the only reason for their success, expect them and Clemson to battle it out all year.

Watch List: ASU, Missouri, Texas.

Rich Jr
12-11-2007, 06:29 PM
All above LSU is a joke.

5. Illinois - Ron Zook has another great recruiting class coming in, if Williams continues to show improvement with his arm this team will be dangerous.

6. West Virginia - Inexperience will be the deciding factor here. If they can rally around Pat White and Replace Schmitt and The Key Senior Defensive Players effectively, expect a BE Championship. Big Ifs though. I give them a slightly better chance if Slaton returns.

7. USF - Their season will hinder on 3 things: How they replace the corners, How they'll replace Moffitt, and Can They lessen Turnovers? They return one of the most Underrated Safety Tandems in America with Mitchell and Allen, Grothe should continue to improve when the Young Recievers mature, and they return Selvie.

moc182
12-11-2007, 06:29 PM
I'm already looking forward to Florida vs. Georgia next season. They're 1-2 in my opinion.

Tampa 2 4 life
12-11-2007, 06:30 PM
All above LSU is a joke.

Care to elaborate?

Sniper
12-11-2007, 06:34 PM
Care to elaborate?

He's an LSU homer, what do you expect?

Rich Jr
12-11-2007, 06:55 PM
Care to elaborate?Illinois is a good team. But we've seen what Zook can do with talent. Give it to someone else to win a NC. Other than the OSU game he's not a good game day coach.

WVU is the pride of the Big East every year. They couldn't beat Pitt to get to the NC game. They are choke artists. They aren't deep enough in any position to overcome injuries (see PITT).

USF played over their heads, give me a break. Jenkins and Selvie are the real deal IMO but no way is this "team" a top 5 much less top 20.

He's an LSU homer, what do you expect?

I've lurked here a LONG time and always enjoyed your posts but if you agree with the rankings he posted you've lost a lot of respect from me. Not that you care, just letting you know.

Tampa 2 4 life
12-11-2007, 07:08 PM
Illinois is a good team. But we've seen what Zook can do with talent. Give it to someone else to win a NC. Other than the OSU game he's not a good game day coach.

WVU is the pride of the Big East every year. They couldn't beat Pitt to get to the NC game. They are choke artists. They aren't deep enough in any position to overcome injuries (see PITT).

USF played over their heads, give me a break. Jenkins and Selvie are the real deal IMO but no way is this "team" a top 5 much less top 20.

Zook doesn't need to be a great Gameday coach to be a Top 5 team. He just has to not lose the game for them and they'll be successful.

WVU is till one of the premier running teams and if Reynaud stays they are potentially DANGEROUS. But like I said, Inexperience will be huge.

Wow, I'm glad playing over our heads means being in every game late in the 4th quarter. Grothe just needs to learn that he doesn't have to score a TD every drive and not to turn the ball over and this team will be dangerous. They'll still have a top D, Leavitt was originally a DB coach and if you think he'll let the CB position get vulnerable . Our leading tackler Mckenzie returns, Almost entire offense Returns except for Amarri (I push off when the CB is out of position and I dropped 2 GW passes this year) Jackson, and wtf is up with the "is this "team"" ****. I'm glad you dictate what qualifies as a team now.

If you think LSU with a new starting QB, a depleted D, and losing a great HB/FB in Hester doesn't have an equal amount or more question marks than any of these teams, you're kidding yourself.

Rich Jr
12-11-2007, 07:16 PM
If you think LSU with a new starting QB, a depleted D, and losing a great HB/FB in Hester doesn't have an equal amount or more question marks than any of these teams, you're kidding yourself.
LSU's team last year was better than this years and we're playing for a NC.

Perrilloux will be experienced, our WR's too. Defense will be fine if we get Tenuta which it's rumored we most likely will. Our D-Line is going to be better next year than it was this year (depth wise).

Here is my list.

1.) Florida
2.) Souther Cal
3.) Georgia
4.) LSU
5.) Oklahoma
6.) West Virginia
7.) Ohio State
8.) Texas
9.) Illinois
10.) Clemson

Tampa 2 4 life
12-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Perrilloux will be experienced, our WR's too. Defense will be fine if we get Tenuta which it's rumored we most likely will. Our D-Line is going to be better next year than it was this year (depth wise).

So you lose Dorsey...and you improve? Tenuta? I'm nopt gonna bump you up if you get an inexperienced Frosh, I don't really get your logic.

BamaFalcon59
12-11-2007, 07:27 PM

We might not win the Atlantic, but I don't see us losing to Virginia (even if they win the conference). Probably the homer in me speaking.

TigerBait45
12-11-2007, 07:29 PM
LSU is a top 10 team next year, but you can't lose 9 starters on defense and get better. Thats just not logical.

That being said..3 losses being a down year is something I can live with. Especially after Hallman and DiNardo came through town.

And Tenuta is Georgia Tech's D-Coordinator. Rumor is hes interested in the LSU position since Tech passed on him for their head coaching job.

Rich Jr
12-11-2007, 07:33 PM
So you lose Dorsey...and you improve? Tenuta? I'm nopt gonna bump you up if you get an inexperienced Frosh, I don't really get your logic.What inexperienced Frosh? Heck we lost Laron Landry and we still had a damn good defense.

Our D-Line will be

DT-Marlon Favorite-Senior
DT-Charles Alexander-Senior
DT-Al Woods-Junior
DT-Drake Nevis-Sophomore (Next Dorsey)

DE-Tyson Jackson-Senior (If he stays)
DE-Tremaine Johnson-Senior
DE-Ricky Jean-Francois-Junior
DE-Sidell Corley-RS Freshman
DE-Will Blackwell-RS Freshman

Our secondary will be inexperienced but very very talented.

So, where's that Frosh you were talking about?

TigerBait45
12-11-2007, 07:35 PM
I don't think he knew who Tenuta was.

Tampa 2 4 life
12-11-2007, 07:37 PM
What inexperienced Frosh? Heck we lost Laron Landry and we still had a damn good defense.

Our D-Line will be

DT-Marlon Favorite-Senior
DT-Charles Alexander-Senior
DT-Al Woods-Junior
DT-Drake Nevis-Sophomore (Next Dorsey)

DE-Tyson Jackson-Senior (If he stays)
DE-Tremaine Johnson-Senior
DE-Ricky Jean-Francois-Junior
DE-Sidell Corley-RS Freshman
DE-Will Blackwell-RS Freshman

Our secondary will be inexperienced but very very talented.

So, where's that Frosh you were talking about?

The two redshirts in your rotation...You can't just annoint someone the next Glen Dorsey, Inexperience in the secondary will most likely kill you next year, no matter how talneted. Just look at UF this year.

Rich Jr
12-11-2007, 07:37 PM
I don't think he knew who Tenuta was.Wow, seriously?

Tampa 2 4 life
12-11-2007, 07:38 PM

Current Interim Head coach at Georgia Tech.

Rich Jr
12-11-2007, 07:39 PM
The two redshirts in your rotation...You can't just annoint someone the next Glen Dorsey, Inexperience in the secondary will most likely kill you next year, no matter how talneted. Just look at UF this year.I've watched LSU play every game the past 8 years. I've seen Nevis play this year. He was Dorsey's back up as a True Freshman. We pulled the RS off of him to be Dorsey's back up. Kids a gamer and will be something special before he leaves LSU.

kwilk103
12-11-2007, 07:40 PM

yea, he said wvu will be inexpierenced; even if slaton goes we have devine; reynaud is replaceable (since we hardly throw); we'll be using a 2 back set with 4* recruit terrance kerns---6'1 225; 4.48 40

defense we lose dykes, wicks, mundy, magro and our 2 corners; but we rotate a lot and they have plenty of playing time; the lbers will be more athletic with jt thomas and pat lazear starting; corners will be ellis lankster (better than the starting 2) and maybe a juco guy or rsfrosh

safties are a lot more athletic and got some playing time

tough test early against auburn, and at end of sept at colorado; but we could be better next year

TigerBait45
12-11-2007, 07:41 PM
Current Interim Head coach at Georgia Tech.

Oh, don't take any offense to it. It was just the way your post was worded.

Nevis can play, btw. He stood out this year whenever he was on the field (wasn't much..he came in when Dorsey or Favorite couldn't go) and he looks like hes got some serious potential.

LSU has a ton of talent on the d-line. Linebacker's are kinda thin though. And the secondary is going to develop a lot very quickly next year. Jai Eugene and Phelon Jones/Ron Brooks/Hawkins look to be the starters, and they're all really talented, but they haven't played much (if at all..I think Eugene is the only one of the bunch to see the field this year)

Tampa 2 4 life
12-11-2007, 07:41 PM
yea, he said wvu will be inexpierenced; even if slaton goes we have devine; reynaud is replaceable (since we hardly throw); we'll be using a 2 back set with 4* recruit terrance kerns---6'1 225; 4.48 40

defense we lose dykes, wicks, mundy, magro and our 2 corners; but we rotate a lot and they have plenty of playing time; the lbers will be more athletic with jt thomas and pat lazear starting; corners will be ellis lankster (better than the starting 2) and maybe a juco guy or rsfrosh

tough test early against auburn, and at end of sept at colorado; but we could be better next year

There's a difference between getting all the snaps at practice and rotating, they'll still be inexperienced.

kwilk103
12-11-2007, 07:46 PM
they were rotating in games; not scrub time in the 4th quarter; but the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd

they got plenty of playing early in the game

Tampa 2 4 life
12-11-2007, 07:48 PM
they were rotating in games; not scrub time in the 4th quarter; but the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd

they got plenty of playing early in the game

I didn't say they only got scrub time, but my point was Full Snaps doesn't equal rotation.

Rich Jr
12-11-2007, 07:53 PM

Devine is a freak of nature.

Xiomera
12-11-2007, 07:54 PM
1. Michigan
2. Michigan State
3. Central Michigan
4. Western Michigan
5. Eastern Michigan

draftguru151
12-11-2007, 07:54 PM
In no order, Oklahoma, USC, UF, UGA and Illinois.

kwilk103
12-11-2007, 07:56 PM
I didn't say they only got scrub time, but my point was Full Snaps doesn't equal rotation.

wvu's defense has always rotated; they only player whos gotten all the snaps in the rod era have been grant wiley and pac-man

he rotates to keep players fresh and incase someone gets injured, the back-up gets expierence

scottyboy
12-11-2007, 07:57 PM
of course I cant resist this thread!! :D now we wont be top 5 or probably even ranked to start the year, but RU will be ranked again next year, and we'll finally get a good 3 team race in teh Big East like we expected this year with Lou., WVA and RU, only next year, it'll be RU, WVA and USF

QB: Teel- Ok, now everyone thinks he sucks, which he probably does, but a throwing thumb injury will hurt every QB's performance. I feel he bounces back. Experienced adversity this year, is a senior and will work extra hard this off season.

RB: Question mark eh? Does Ray Ray stay? if so, we all know what he can do for this RU team. If not, I'm a bit concerned, but not overally scared. We'll have Kordell Young, an explosive back, who i feel can handle the full load, he's also excellent out of the backfield. Behind him is the speedy homerun hitting Mason Robinson. A frosh this year, who also had his 1st year at RB, showed promise, but no way can handle the load. Also, Young's coming off knee surgery, which worries me.

FB: It's not Leonard, who cares...( a trio of young maulers figthing for time)

WR: Britt, Underwood are staying, Brown more experienced BAM i likey

TE: God, will someone emerge here- for now its the senior Brock, solid kid, nice blocker, average hands

OL: OK, we lose 3 starters this year to the draft(ouch) BUT Davis is a soph, who started as a frosh. Haslaam is a junior, started some this year, versitile who can play almost every position. RBlaz is our C, did very well this year, he's now a junior. We've got young talent to work on our left side, with BIG incoming frosh Forst. I'm not worried at all.

DL: We lose out heart, Eric Foster, but keep tons of talent. Westerman, Silvestro, Watts. I'm not concerned at all, as we finally have some size on the DL

LB: hopefully the will be soph Manny Abreu starts to give us some desperately needed speed here. We keep our leading tackler in Malast and our MLB spot is anchored but the talented soon to be junior D'Imperio who was hurt for the first 9 games this year

DB: The McCourty twins are staying, keeping our CB's the same, and improving with age(a senior and junior to be) Safety scares me though. Losing Girault for sure, and possibly Greene to the draft(a 2nd rounder possibly). Behind them is the oft-injured(knee) Zaire Kitchen. A ball hawk who has had ****** luck. Glen Lee can lay the lumber, but not good in coverage. I'm pumped for the this year true forsh Loe Lefeged. My only fear, in the process of killing the other team, I'm afraid in his insane-ness he may accidentally take out a teammate. This kid is so much fun to watch, he almost killed Cuse's QB this year. A soon to be new man crush for me.

K/P- Ito's gone. :( it makes me so sad... behind him? K San San Te. at P? who knows honestly. this scares me the most.

RU isn't losing much at all, unless Greene and Raymell leave us. More experience is huge, and hopefully teel stays healthy. I'm pumped for the upcoming year.

YAYareaRB
12-11-2007, 08:00 PM
LSU Offense should be bad ass next year. Periloux, Keiland Williams, Byrd and Tolliver, etc.

Turtlepower
12-11-2007, 08:59 PM
I honestly think that LSU will not win more than 8 games next year. Maybe 9, but they are losing so many starters that it is ridiculous. Not only are they losing their entire defense, but they lost their DC. Also, Periloux is by far the most immature QB in the nation and has a good chance to be suspended for at least a game or two next season. Add to that the fact that Les Miles has never had to coach a team with his recruits amounts to LSU having a bad season.

Michigan
12-11-2007, 09:01 PM
1. Michigan
2. Michigan State
3. Central Michigan
4. Western Michigan
5. Eastern Michigan

Grand Valley State would crush those teams.

TigerBait45
12-11-2007, 09:06 PM
I honestly think that LSU will not win more than 8 games next year. Maybe 9, but they are losing so many starters that it is ridiculous. Not only are they losing their entire defense, but they lost their DC. Also, Periloux is by far the most immature QB in the nation and has a good chance to be suspended for at least a game or two next season. Add to that the fact that Les Miles has never had to coach a team with his recruits amounts to LSU having a bad season.

To be honest I think agree with you on all counts except the "hes never had to coach with his own players" part. There is no shortage of talent at LSU.

Turtlepower
12-11-2007, 09:09 PM
To be honest I think agree with you on all counts except the "hes never had to coach with his own players" part. There is no shortage of talent at LSU.

I think people are overrating a lot of LSU's players who haven't been on the field a lot and it will be the first time any of them has had significant playing experience. Even if they are very talented, it is tough to step into the role of a starter so quickly especially trying to replace a lot of the players for LSU.

Rich Jr
12-11-2007, 09:23 PM
1.) I'm glad Pelini is gone. I got tired of his "soft zone" defense. We need a blitzer, we need Tenuta.

2.) While RP may be immature what evidence is there to suggest that he'll be suspended at least a game or 2 next year? Please support evidence or retract the statement.

3.) I too look forward to see Miles and his own recruits.

Oddly, i'd be fine with a 9-3 season. I really see this being a rebuilding year. I expect UF to take the SEC outright.

I think people are overrating a lot of LSU's players who haven't been on the field a lot and it will be the first time any of them has had significant playing experience. Even if they are very talented, it is tough to step into the role of a starter so quickly especially trying to replace a lot of the players for LSU.
People are never short of saying that players on USC are the best ever even if they haven't seen the field.

But when it's LSU people overrate them.

TACKLE
12-11-2007, 09:38 PM
1. USC
2. Georgia
3. Oklahoma
4. West Vrigina
5. Florida

TigerBait45
12-11-2007, 09:42 PM

I'm not expecting anyone to step in as a freshman and play like a senior, but there is legitimate talent on the defense. "Overrating" is pretty subjective, I suppose, but whatever.

I definitely expect 3 or 4 losses next year while the defense gets its feet wet. I already said earlier that its not logical to expect us to lose 9 starters and get better. I just don't buy the "He hasn't won with his players" argument when its obvious that hes recruited very well.

Sniper
12-11-2007, 11:27 PM
I've lurked here a LONG time and always enjoyed your posts but if you agree with the rankings he posted you've lost a lot of respect from me. Not that you care, just letting you know.

Calm down..I just felt you could have explained your reasoning better instead of saying LSU RULEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...

1. Southern Cal
2. Florida
3. Ohio State (I'm not happy about it, but they will be excellent)
4. Oklahoma
5. Georgia
6. LSU

I can't think past six.

LonghornsLegend
12-11-2007, 11:33 PM
I know we had a down year but we are going to be better then Missouri next year...They come here to Austin in 2008 and Im not sold they will be able to beat us just yet

YAYareaRB
12-12-2007, 12:24 AM
I know we had a down year but we are going to be better then Missouri next year...They come here to Austin in 2008 and Im not sold they will be able to beat us just yet

The Texas Longhorns live and die with the progress of Colt McCoy.

big daddy russ
12-12-2007, 10:19 PM
It's all a crapshoot right now. Who leaves, who stays? How do new coaches and players perform, and does anyone get kicked off the team between now and then?

I'm just going to put my teams on the rise, teams that will fall, and teams in limbo.

TEAMS ON THE RISE
1. GEORGIA- My preseason number one no matter what happens between then and now, the Bulldogs only lose three seniors on each side of the ball and return an impressive stable of talent, led by two Heisman candidates in what is potentially the best backfield in the nation.
2. ILLINOIS- They lose the heart and soul of their defense and some key players on both sides of the ball, but the guys they return can flat out fly. Unless a few of their players suffer major injuries between now and next August, they should be the fastest team in the Big Ten and have tons of blue chip Zook recruits licking their chops for playing time. While I'm expecting them to be inconsistent once again, I think they take that next step. With Penn State, Wisconsin, Iowa, and most of the other Big Ten teams with recent tradition looking very beatable heading into next year, only Ohio State stands between the Illini and the top of the Big Ten throne.
3. TEXAS TECH- This is the team that Mike Leach has been waiting for. The most talented QB he's ever had, most talented line he's ever had, and most talented player (Michael Crabtree) he's ever had. They return the majority of their team and almost all their key player, and while I don't think they'll win the Big XII South, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see them finish with double digit wins. The second-best team in the South heading into next season. They're coming off a huge upset against OU and are poised to build off this Gator Bowl season. Their first BCS berth and a top ten finish isn't entirely out of the question. I doubt, however, they'll make the Big XII Championship game.

TEAMS ON THE DECLINE
1. KANSAS- The only ranked team they beat this year was #24 Kansas State and they haven't beat a top-20 opponent since 15th-ranked Oklahoma in 1995. Whereas their biggest wins this year were against KSU and Texas A&M, they have road games against South Florida and Oklahoma and must also play Texas, Texas Tech, and Mizzou. Don't get me wrong, they return a ton to a team that's in a BCS bowl, but after watching the A&M game live at Kyle Field and watching the Mizzou game on TV I realized how overrated this team really is. Reesing, while tough, scrappy, and full of intangibles, is not the QB everyone thinks he is. He gets happy feet when he gets excited and is terribly inaccurate. I'm not saying that Kansas will be hung out to dry next season, but I will say that this year was the culmination of an up-and-coming team with great wideouts and a solid offensive line going up against one of the weakest schedules in the country. The 'Hawks will be lucky to win eight games in 2008.
2. BOSTON COLLEGE- I feel for Jeff Jagodzinski. I really do. He came into the perfect situation, with a senior-laden team led by the best ACC QB since Philip Rivers and a team that is known for dominating the trenches. He now must replace the QB who engineered a few of their ten wins, including the come-from-behind victory over eighth-ranked Virginia Tech. It's not that they'll be terrible, it's just that they'll go back to being a middle-of-the-road ACC team, far from what they were this year.
3. OREGON- Call me Captain Obvious, but when you lose the most valuable player in the NCAA's, you're going to slip. Dixon is out, Jonathan Stewart may be gone, the receivers graduate, and they're left looking for playmakers on both sides of the ball.

TEAMS IN LIMBO
1. TEXAS A&M- Don't let the records and the inconsistency fool you. There's more talent in College Station than you can shake a stick at. Their starting QB was an Elite 11 prospect noted for his passing ability out of HS, they boast the best backfield duo in the Big XII in Mike Goodson and Jorvorskie Lane, have an uber-talented defensive backfield (when coaches decide to let them man up instead of fall into a zone), have two kids with all the ability in the world to be the most dominant DL and LB in the conference, boast some great, young receivers, and have been raping Texas for all that four-star talent since before Fran got there. So why hasn't it worked? If Mike Sherman can re-recruit the most talented TE in the conference (and quite possibly the nation) back to College Station, replace a few o-linemen and linebacker(s... depending on whether or not they stick with a 4-2 or switch to a different formation), and make the decision that he's going to coach looser than his predacessor, we may be looking at the surprise team of 2008. But that's a whole lotta ifs, and if ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas. Basically, A&M's chances hinge on Sherman's ability as a coach.
2. ARKANSAS- I'm interested to see how Petrino works this out. Sure, the Hogs have a boatload of talent, especially up front and at the RB position, anchored by one of the best centers in the nation. They only lose three offensive starters, and even though they must replace six on defense, are pretty-well stocked with talent. But what will Petrino, a man known for his big-play offense, do with a team built to run the ball? Will he stick with the run, will he let Casey Dick air it out? Loads of talent, but is Fayetteville a good fit for Petrino?
3. LSU- No matter how talented your squad is, replacing 11 seniors is never an easy task. Also, Miles swears up and down that he's not bolting for Michigan, but reports are leaking that Wolverine boosters and him have had recent conversations. Whole lotta questions down in Baton Rouge.

etk
12-12-2007, 10:22 PM
The Texas Longhorns live and die with the progress of Colt McCoy.

I think Jamaal Charles leaving/staying could be a big factor too...

YAYareaRB
12-12-2007, 11:06 PM
I think Jamaal Charles leaving/staying could be a big factor too...

IMO, Jamaal Charles has been consistently good for them. But you could tell in the games they won big, McCoy plays great to solid football. When they lose or win close, Colt plays mediocre to bad football. I know DUH, he's the QB but that's why I think he's a vital part in their success next season, ESPECIALLY in the Longhorn offense. I think both will assume major roles if Charles returns.

etk
12-12-2007, 11:10 PM
IMO, Jamaal Charles has been consistently good for them. But you could tell in the games they won big, McCoy plays great to solid football. When they lose or win close, Colt plays mediocre to bad football. I know DUH, he's the QB but that's why I think he's a vital part in their success next season, ESPECIALLY in the Longhorn offense. I think both will assume major roles if Charles returns.

Jamaal Charles has singlehandedly won them some games. You can't underrate his importance.

LonghornsLegend
12-13-2007, 01:43 AM
Charles will be back 100%, he still has some learning to go with his crazy athletic ability, he still works with Earl Campbell in the off season on his ball control and being a more complete rb...Regardless he is the key of our offense, when he is on he is the one that makes the offense click...Colt is just fast enough to pull and run the ball himself but Charles is able to break one at any moment with the zone read and he's only getting better..

Colt on the other hand gets rattled too easily, I can guarantee you every scouting report of him of conference teams say blitz him heavy and hit him a few times and he starts making all kinds of bad decisions...His freshman year he had a hell of a line to sit and throw behind, along with a healthy Limas Sweed, this year he hasnt had quite the time but its no excuse to make some of the mistakes he does in pressure situations...

Granted I see the flashes with him, he had a great freshman year and he regressed this year but I still saw moments where if he played at that level he could lead us to another NC with the pieces around him, but he still reminds me alot of Chris Simms when he was here, had some great games and moments, but always screwed up when the game was on the line or big games...

My feelings of how well we are going to be next year has alot to due with our game with ASU, if Colt plays poised how he has before ill be pretty confident he will come back as a junior very improved...he did have the freshman record for td passes last year before bradford smashed it...But if you ask me Charles is alot more important piece to the offense and team, take Colt out and John Chiles can run this offense pretty damn well, take Charles out and we turn into an above average offense this year

Cashmoney
12-13-2007, 01:55 AM
Glad to see Tennessee getting no love. They usually do better the years that no one expects them to do much anyways.

Mr. Stiller
12-13-2007, 02:08 AM

I'd Switch Georgia and Oklahoma.

If Oklahoma loses Kelly, Loadholt, Robinson and Lofton.. they're going to be in trouble IMO. Much more than Georgia who's losing 7 (one is a KR and a Kicker) total starters from their team.

YAYareaRB
12-13-2007, 02:19 AM
Jamaal Charles has singlehandedly won them some games. You can't underrate his importance.

In no way was I trying to underrate his importance, I appologize if I came across that way. Jamaal Charles has been their everything this year and yeah, he's won them some games.. I'm not denying that. What I was trying to say is that if the Texas Longhorns are to return to National Prominance, Colt McCoy is going to need to develope into a gamebreaker.. That's all I've been saying since the beginning.

Think about, do you honestly think Texas would have beat USC just on the legs of Selvin and Taylor alone? In the Longhorn offense, the QB position is so vital that if you don't have the perfect one you won't do much.

reigle9
12-13-2007, 03:36 AM
Going to take crap but PSU will be top 10 preseason with a bowl win.

10 starters back on D, with a ton of depth
9 starters back on O, with the two losses being upgrades
K and P returning

So 21 of 24 starters returning and 2 of 3 losses will be upgrades.

BuddyCHRIST
12-13-2007, 06:23 AM
I like....

1. UF
2. Oklahoma
3. USC
4. LSU
5. Georgia

etk
12-13-2007, 07:57 AM
In no way was I trying to underrate his importance, I appologize if I came across that way. Jamaal Charles has been their everything this year and yeah, he's won them some games.. I'm not denying that. What I was trying to say is that if the Texas Longhorns are to return to National Prominance, Colt McCoy is going to need to develope into a gamebreaker.. That's all I've been saying since the beginning.

Think about, do you honestly think Texas would have beat USC just on the legs of Selvin and Taylor alone? In the Longhorn offense, the QB position is so vital that if you don't have the perfect one you won't do much.

I'm sorry if you thought I was arguing with you, I'm just trying to say that Texas is pretty ****** if they lose Charles. Everyone knows that but it had to be said. I agree that McCoy can make or break a lot of games with his play

Sniper
12-13-2007, 08:31 AM

K and P returning

Hahahaahahahahaha

BadgerMike
12-13-2007, 11:49 AM
LSU is a top 10 team next year, but you can't lose 9 starters on defense and get better. Thats just not logical.

That being said..3 losses being a down year is something I can live with. Especially after Hallman and DiNardo came through town.

And Tenuta is Georgia Tech's D-Coordinator. Rumor is hes interested in the LSU position since Tech passed on him for their head coaching job.

OSU replaced 9 Defensive starters in 2006 and played for the NAT.

fenikz
12-13-2007, 12:02 PM
USC and ASU are both basically bringing back everyone next year, the Pac-10 could be very intresting

jared
12-13-2007, 12:13 PM
2.) While RP may be immature what evidence is there to suggest that he'll be suspended at least a game or 2 next year? Please support evidence or retract the statement.

This isn't Minority Report. Nobody can produce "evidence" of what RP might do next year. He said there's a good chance Perrilloux does something stupid to get suspended next year. Based on his past behavior, I'd have to agree there's a reasonable chance. "Retract the statement..." that's funny.

BadgerMike
12-13-2007, 12:17 PM
The only way Illinois will be Top 5 next year is with a win over USC in the RB. This is a 9-3 team in which lost to unranked Iowa and UM. If it wasn't for their win at OSU they would be playng in the Alamo Bowl. They backed their way into the BCS Bowl series. Think about it. Funny how 1 big win on the road changed the fortunes for the Illini.

andyjo672
12-13-2007, 12:28 PM

K and P returning

Thats rediculous, aren't you losing your starting quarterback, Morelli, and although he wasn't spectacular, you can't automatically say the next guy coming in will be an upgrade. I'm thinking the 1 guy you lose that isn't an "upgrade" is Connor...

YAYareaRB
12-13-2007, 01:51 PM

K and P returning

All you need is Joe Pa..

etk
12-13-2007, 04:14 PM
USC and ASU are both basically bringing back everyone next year, the Pac-10 could be very intresting

USC's bringing everyone back? Last I checked they're losing their starting QB, RB, LT and at least 3 of their best defenders. I know they have talented depth but guys like Baker, Ellis & Rivers aren't easy to replace.

keylime_5
12-13-2007, 04:23 PM
Here's mine:
1-Florida
2-Ohio State
3-Oklahoma
4-Georgia
5-USC

I think UGA and USC both lose 2+ games. Florida will probably go unbeaten, and Ohio State will probably lose maybe another game depending on the USC and Illinois road matchups. Oklahoma might go unbeaten too, but I still don't think they're among the best after how they have choked over the past 5 years. Virginia Tech is right in the mix also.

nfrillman
12-13-2007, 04:35 PM
I'm don't know a whole lot about other team's roster and senior situations, but Missouri will be pre-season ranked pretty high.

Significant Losses:
WR- Will Franklin
TE- Martin Rucker
RB- Tony Temple
DB- Darnell Terrell
S- Pig Brown
DT- Lorenzo Williams
C- Adam Spieker

That is pretty impressive to only be suffering 7 big losses.

keylime_5
12-13-2007, 04:43 PM
Not to mention that Mizzou has a pretty favorable schedule next year. I think they'll probably get into the BCS next year considering Chase Daniel is back and he's a guy who has gotten better each year in that system.

andyjo672
12-13-2007, 05:06 PM
I'm don't know a whole lot about other team's roster and senior situations, but Missouri will be pre-season ranked pretty high.

Significant Losses:
WR- Will Franklin
TE- Martin Rucker
RB- Tony Temple
DB- Darnell Terrell
S- Pig Brown
DT- Lorenzo Williams
C- Adam Spieker

That is pretty impressive to only be suffering 7 big losses.

Anytime you lose a guy named Pig, its probably an upgrade.

etk
12-13-2007, 05:19 PM
Uh-Oh OSU...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/12/13/ohiost.juniors.ap/index.html

VoteLynnSwan
12-13-2007, 05:51 PM
Uh-Oh OSU...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/12/13/ohiost.juniors.ap/index.html

ugh... i wish you hadn't bothered posting this because it means absolutely nothing, and now we're going to see all the OSU homers chime in on it.

iowatreat54
12-13-2007, 05:55 PM
really...does anyone think Boeckman is seriously considering leaving? lol

all that means is that the players want to see how valuable they would be in the draft, not that they are leaving so who cares...

keylime_5
12-13-2007, 06:06 PM
Uh-Oh OSU...

Nothing unexpected. I think Vernon Gholston, James Laurinaitis, and Malcolm Jenkins are obviously going pro. Alex Boone is probably 65/35 on going pro, and I don't think Marcus Freeman stays another year considering he has kids to support and he'll be a 2nd/3rd round guy this year and next. I think all 5 of those juniors leave. It wouldn't surprise me to see Robiskie leave, but I think he'll stay for his senior year considering his dad's (NFL WRs coach Terry) advice.

And despite all those juniors likely leaving, we'll still be loaded next year. The only guys who might leave who don't have a guy ready to be a very good starter replacing them is Alex Boone. If he leaves we might have left tackle problems with either Steve Rehring or true frosh Mike Adams at LT, but other than that we have Chekwa ready at CB, Lawrence Wilson at DE, Spitler at MLB (next Matt Wilhelm), Ross Homan at WLB (next all big ten buckeye LB), and Small at WR.

...In fact, I can almost guarantee Robiskie will be back next year barring a freak 200 yard/3 TD game on the 7th.

Babylon
12-13-2007, 06:25 PM
USC's bringing everyone back? Last I checked they're losing their starting QB, RB, LT and at least 3 of their best defenders. I know they have talented depth but guys like Baker, Ellis & Rivers aren't easy to replace.

I was thinking the same thing, they'll lose Ellis, Jackson, Rivers and Thomas for sure plus Baker, Booty and Davis on offense. Good news for them they replace those guys with names like Everson Griffen, Chris Galippo, Mark Sanchez.......i think the Pac-10 will be pretty balanced next year and USC has to be at the top going in.(as usual)

reigle9
12-13-2007, 06:33 PM
Hahahaahahahahaha
I don't know how to internet fight, I just produce facts.

Thats rediculous, aren't you losing your starting quarterback, Morelli, and although he wasn't spectacular, you can't automatically say the next guy coming in will be an upgrade. I'm thinking the 1 guy you lose that isn't an "upgrade" is Connor...

I automatically disregard people who can't spell simple words. Yes I can assume "the next guy coming in" will be an upgrade. Morelli is a below average QB that lost three games on his own.

TigerBait45
12-13-2007, 10:37 PM
OSU replaced 9 Defensive starters in 2006 and played for the NAT.

Yeah, thats true, but the SEC is going to be brutal next year. Maybe they'll come out and surprise me, but I still think we'll lose 3.

Florida, Georgia and maybe Auburn.

Don Vito
12-13-2007, 10:53 PM
OSU has A LOT of young talent but losing 13 players who all have contributed a good amount this season could be too much talent replace.

themaninblack
12-13-2007, 11:37 PM
i know im a georgia homer but the dawgs are gonna be even more nasty next year than this. ton of youth on our team this year and they should only get better by next year. im really looking forward to 08'!

Namy
12-14-2007, 12:17 AM
1. Florida: This season was their REBUILDING year... they went 9-3 during that "rebuilding" season with Tebow hurt and by barely losing to Auburn and LSU. However, they do play in the SEC. As a result, they may not be one of the top 2 teams at the end whether its fair or not.

2. Oklahoma: Bradford is the real deal. Not only is he dynamic but he is efficient. The reason OU is always one of the top teams is because they always have the biggest linemen. The Sooners will most likely only lose a couple of starters, so this is gonna be one hell of a team.

3. USC: This Trojans always have the best skill position players in the country. With their speed on their defense to match with their offense, this is a scary team. The only question mark I have is Sanchez. I'm sure he'll be good, but just not as good as USC QBs have been recently.

4. Georgia: Their future looks bright. Moreno is the real deal and Stafford has a cannon. However, they also play in the "tough" SEC and with so many important positions filled with younger players, I can see turnovers being an achilles heel for them. Still, they have a lot of talent.

5. Not sure... I'll give it to the winner of the OSU-LSU title game ;]

JT Jag
12-14-2007, 12:42 AM
A friend of mine, a Gator fan, has bet me that the Gators will be ranked #1 at the start of next season next year with 20 bucks on the line.

I'm unwilling to take that bet.

Sniper
12-14-2007, 06:09 AM
Yeah, thats true, but the SEC is going to be brutal next year.

Isn't the SEC 300-esque brutal every year? Or is that just what the talking heads try to jam down everyone's throats?

reigle9
12-14-2007, 06:46 AM
sniper, do you ever say anything for yourself? I wanted to just quote you but I found it impossible. Everything you say is some response to someone else. Even more than an IQ test, that shows stupidity when you don't have an original thought.

The main page of this site is the tops, but the forum on here can't get any more pathetic if Scott hired people.

reigle9
12-14-2007, 06:48 AM
BTW, I was just going to make fun of your "OSU > sex" thing. Either you need to start having sex with better girls or actually lose your virginity.

Sniper
12-14-2007, 07:05 AM
BTW, I was just going to make fun of your "OSU > sex" thing. Either you need to start having sex with better girls or actually lose your virginity.

Yeah it's not like I lost a sig bet or anything. You know, actually using your brain and thinking before you speak might come in handy one day for you.

Sniper
12-14-2007, 07:05 AM
sniper, do you ever say anything for yourself? I wanted to just quote you but I found it impossible. Everything you say is some response to someone else. Even more than an IQ test, that shows stupidity when you don't have an original thought.

I've posted my thoughts on the top 5 teams before. Actually searching..what a novel concept!

Sniper
12-14-2007, 07:07 AM
1. Southern Cal
2. Florida
3. Ohio State (I'm not happy about it, but they will be excellent)
4. Oklahoma
5. Georgia
6. LSU

Here reigle, now you can shut the **** up.

Iamcanadian
12-14-2007, 07:21 AM
The ACC is horrible, but at least FSU is pretty much a clear front-runner. All the significant Big 10 teams will suffer a decrease in talent, but the same can't be said about the ACC and Big East. You have to understand the context.

Actually the Big 10 returns most of their starting QB's and most of their starters.

Conferences can change overnight with each season. You have to look at who has their QB returning and who has the most starters returning. The Big 10 should be a lot stronger next year especially Ohio St. and Illinois. Ohio St. has 21 starters returning which can change by who declares but should most of their players stay, they will be very serious challengers for the NCG. No other major team has that many starters returning.

duckseason
12-14-2007, 08:02 AM
And an original thought can't originate in response to another? It's called conversing with each other. Spouting off whatever happens to spring from your pons is in no way a more intelligent form of communication than responding to one another.

In fact, your post is no different than his in that sense. You may as well be talking to yourself, seeing as how you "wanted" to quote him but found it "impossible."

And whose IQ was it that's being questioned here again?

The main page of this site is the tops, but the forum on here can't get any more pathetic if Scott hired people.
Though I disagree, it's funny how a quick gander at your post history only reinforces this statement.

etk
12-14-2007, 08:20 AM
Actually the Big 10 returns most of their starting QB's and most of their starters.

Conferences can change overnight with each season. You have to look at who has their QB returning and who has the most starters returning. The Big 10 should be a lot stronger next year especially Ohio St. and Illinois. Ohio St. has 21 starters returning which can change by who declares but should most of their players stay, they will be very serious challengers for the NCG. No other major team has that many starters returning.

Donovan, Morelli and Henne are all gone. Boeckman could declare with a strong performance in the title game. The Big 10 does have some good QBs returning but Illinois is the only decent team that will return their starter for certain, and even Juice isn't a great passer.

The average Big 10 teams will most likely improve, but many of them are losing a lot of starters, with most of them being key players. Penn State will be very good with strong QB play, while Illinois could repeat this year's success if they return Mendenhall. Wisconsin returns most of their team but Beckum and Ikegwuonu are probably declaring. Michigan will suck. OSU has the potential to be a top-3 team next year but the draft could deplete a lot of their Juniors, leaving them in Florida's position this year. When I put all of this together I see the potential for another down year in the Big 10, leaving them on par with the ACC when it comes to parity.

Bengals1690
12-14-2007, 09:43 AM
1OU
2USC
3LSU
4FLA
5WVU, depending on if slaton and white stay.

Bengals1690
12-14-2007, 09:45 AM

gholston, jenkins, and laurinitus are most likely gone. Robiske could leave, too. Barton is a junior too i belve and he is most likely gone.

Sniper
12-14-2007, 10:21 AM
gholston, jenkins, and laurinitus are most likely gone. Robiske could leave, too. Barton is a junior too i belve and he is most likely gone.

I think Barton's the senior and Boone is the junior

Sniper
12-14-2007, 10:25 AM
Michigan will suck.

Yes, yes we will. There's too many things that need to happen for us to be good next year that just won't happen. Ryan Mallett needs to complete 55-60% of his passes, a consistent running game must be found between a stable of backs, new receivers need to be broken in once MM and AA leave, a dominant D would be nice, but it's unlikely.

Bengals1690
12-14-2007, 10:28 AM
I think Barton's the senior and Boone is the junior

for some reason i always get those two confused.

etk
12-14-2007, 11:25 AM
Yes, yes we will. There's too many things that need to happen for us to be good next year that just won't happen. Ryan Mallett needs to complete 55-60% of his passes, a consistent running game must be found between a stable of backs, new receivers need to be broken in once MM and AA leave, a dominant D would be nice, but it's unlikely.

Yeah, even if Manningham and Arrington return and everything else happens in place, they still have Mallett and Minor starting. That's a big step down from Henne and Hart. Maybe McGuffie will add some spark to that offense, but the only solid player I see for Michigan offensively is Matthews. I'm sure some of the young linemen will step up and make something out of a rebuilding year.

Sniper
12-14-2007, 11:29 AM
Yeah, even if Manningham and Arrington return and everything else happens in place, they still have Mallett and Minor starting. That's a big step down from Henne and Hart. Maybe McGuffie will add some spark to that offense, but the only solid player I see for Michigan offensively is Matthews. I'm sure some of the young linemen will step up and make something out of a rebuilding year.

Hopefully. 7-5 next year would be a good season. Disappointing, but realistically optimistic. Guys like Toney Clemons, J.R Hemingway, Carlos Brown etc..will have to step up. Brown did look good when he played this year and he's as fast as McGuffie. I just want them to get rid of this BS zone blocking scheme, it fit Hart well, but it won't work as well for Brown and McGuffie. Kevin Grady also comes back for his 87th year.

etk
12-14-2007, 11:35 AM
Kevin Grady also comes back for his 87th year.

There's plenty of 5th year Seniors in college football. The Jason White's are the ones that stand out.

BadgerMike
12-14-2007, 12:25 PM
[QUOTE=etk;783273]Donovan, Morelli and Henne are all gone. Boeckman could declare with a strong performance in the title game. The Big 10 does have some good QBs returning but Illinois is the only decent team that will return their starter for certain, and even Juice isn't a great passer.

The average Big 10 teams will most likely improve, but many of them are losing a lot of starters, with most of them being key players. Penn State will be very good with strong QB play, while Illinois could repeat this year's success if they return Mendenhall. Wisconsin returns most of their team but Beckum and Ikegwuonu are probably declaring. Michigan will suck. OSU has the potential to be a top-3 team next year but the draft could deplete a lot of their Juniors, leaving them in Florida's position this year. When I put all of this together I see the potential for another down year in the Big 10, leaving them on par with the ACC when it comes to parity.[/QUOTE

Correction, PSU will replace Morelli. Both Beckum and Ike have stated in interviews they will be back for their Senior years. Beckum is only 230 pounds and needs to add weight for a NFL TE.

P-L
12-14-2007, 01:29 PM
I think Michigan can have the same or better record next year, despite being a worse team. Look at our schedule.

Guaranteed Wins (Appalachian State Part II won't happen)
Aug. 30 vs Utah
Sep. 6 vs Miami (OH)
Oct. 11 vs Toledo
Nov. 8 @ Minnesota
Nov. 15 vs Northwestern

Should Wins
Sep. 13 @ Notre Dame
Oct. 25 vs Michigan State
Nov. 1 @ Purdue

Probably Won't Wins
Sep. 27 vs Wisconsin
October. 18 @ Penn State

Guaranteed Losses
Oct. 4 vs Illinois
Nov. 22 @ Ohio State

If we win all the games we should win, that puts us at 8-4. If we pull off an upset over Wisconsin (it's at The Big House) or Penn State (Our last loss to them was in 1996) then we could pull off 9-3. However, I'm going to say that we finish 8-4.

etk
12-14-2007, 01:56 PM
I think you should replace NW with ND in guaranteed wins. I also think Purdue is a should win for Purdue. @PSU is as guaranteed of a loss as Illinois IMO, but the history is concerning so I see the argument.

Michigan
12-14-2007, 02:18 PM
I think you should replace NW with ND in guaranteed wins. I also think Purdue is a should win for Purdue. @PSU is as guaranteed of a loss as Illinois IMO, but the history is concerning so I see the argument.

can you really call illinois a guaranteed loss with a straight face? michigan dominated them this year with their worst team of the 21st century. michigan destroyed purdue and penn state too...

if you think michigan will go 7-5 next year, you are in for a surprise. as long as michigan doesn't hire rich rodriguez or mike leach or some other completely different offense, the offense should be decent enough to score enough points to compliment what will be an good to great defense. The WRs and backs are solid while the QB and O-line can't be worse than they were this year (possible worst Michigan O-line ever, excluding Long). The defense doesn't lose anyone significant (if you say crable or adams i'll smack you), and the talented core of Ezeh, Trent, Warren, Graham, and Taylor will only get better.

i won't argue if you say michigan sucks as a football team, because they do compared to michigan's standard. however, they won't go 7-5 with their D and such a weak schedule. The only losses that are likely are OSU and Wisconsin. Illinois and PSU(is this their year now that carr is gone?) are toss ups, and Michigan should be favored in the rest of their games. I'll say 8-4 or 9-3.

etk
12-14-2007, 02:26 PM
You're asking the wrong person. I think Michigan has a decent chance against Illinois, but I don't think they'll beat PSU. That's what implied in my post, I'm sorry you misunderstood.

TigerBait45
12-14-2007, 02:46 PM
Isn't the SEC 300-esque brutal every year? Or is that just what the talking heads try to jam down everyone's throats?

Eh, as much as everyone on ESPN tried to force it to you this year, the SEC was pretty down. LSU was supposed to be the juggernaut and we lost 2 games and probably should've lost 2 more.

..Next year is going to be nasty. Georgia and Florida are returning everyone, Auburn finally gets rid of Cox..I could go on for a while.

soybean
12-14-2007, 03:18 PM
Eh, as much as everyone on ESPN tried to force it to you this year, the SEC was pretty down. LSU was supposed to be the juggernaut and we lost 2 games and probably should've lost 2 more.

..Next year is going to be nasty. Georgia and Florida are returning everyone, Auburn finally gets rid of Cox..I could go on for a while.

hey dude, at least notre dame doesn't have a winning record against your conference.

soybean
12-14-2007, 03:20 PM
You're asking the wrong person. I think Michigan has a decent chance against Illinois, but I don't think they'll beat PSU. That's what implied in my post, I'm sorry you misunderstood.

doesn't michigan have like an 8 year winning streak against penn state? even when penn state had michael robinson they only lost one game. michigan.

Sniper
12-14-2007, 04:31 PM

Sorry etk, we don't lose to PSU.

etk
12-14-2007, 04:37 PM
Sorry etk, we don't lose to PSU.

New coach=new streak? ;)

Sniper
12-14-2007, 04:41 PM
New coach=new streak? ;)

Bite your tongue....That'd be the death of me since I live in the midst of PSU country

etk
12-14-2007, 04:42 PM
Bite your tongue....That'd be the death of me since I live in the midst of PSU country

You might need 2 sigs next year...haha.

nfrillman
12-14-2007, 04:54 PM
Not to mention that Mizzou has a pretty favorable schedule next year. I think they'll probably get into the BCS next year considering Chase Daniel is back and he's a guy who has gotten better each year in that system.

Actually Pig (real name Cornelius) is an important loss, even though the guy that stepped in has played well. Pig was a pre-season All-American I think, and before he ruptured his achilles he was a favorite for Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year.

VoteLynnSwan
12-14-2007, 06:29 PM
can you really call illinois a guaranteed loss with a straight face? michigan dominated them this year with their worst team of the 21st century. michigan destroyed purdue and penn state too...

if you think michigan will go 7-5 next year, you are in for a surprise. as long as michigan doesn't hire rich rodriguez or mike leach or some other completely different offense, the offense should be decent enough to score enough points to compliment what will be an good to great defense. The WRs and backs are solid while the QB and O-line can't be worse than they were this year (possible worst Michigan O-line ever, excluding Long). The defense doesn't lose anyone significant (if you say crable or adams i'll smack you), and the talented core of Ezeh, Trent, Warren, Graham, and Taylor will only get better.

i won't argue if you say michigan sucks as a football team, because they do compared to michigan's standard. however, they won't go 7-5 with their D and such a weak schedule. The only losses that are likely are OSU and Wisconsin. Illinois and PSU(is this their year now that carr is gone?) are toss ups, and Michigan should be favored in the rest of their games. I'll say 8-4 or 9-3.

Michigan won by 10 points against Illinois... hardly domination.

badgerbacker
12-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Correction, PSU will replace Morelli. Both Beckum and Ike have stated in interviews they will be back for their Senior years. Beckum is only 230 pounds and needs to add weight for a NFL TE.
Where did you see this? The only thing I have heard was that each was going to see what his draft grade was and not make any decisions until after the bowl game.

wiscbadgerfootball
12-15-2007, 02:54 PM
I highly doubt either leaves considering in the last 16 or so years only 4 Badgers have left with eligibility remaining.

OhioState
12-15-2007, 04:34 PM
doesn't michigan have like an 8 year winning streak against penn state? even when penn state had michael robinson they only lost one game. michigan.

can you say luckiest play of all time?

Turtlepower
12-15-2007, 04:48 PM
Michigan won by 10 points against Illinois... hardly domination.

If you watched that game, it was all OSU the entire game.

etk
12-15-2007, 05:00 PM
I highly doubt either leaves considering in the last 16 or so years only 4 Badgers have left with eligibility remaining.

I think Ikegwuonu is ready, but it appears that he is staying. Beckum, on the other hand, needs to put on some more weight, but rumors have been flying that he will declare.

toonsterwu
12-15-2007, 05:06 PM
I'm just glad to see UVA get some love. I'm not saying they are a top 5 team, but it's nice to see. Offensively, despite our TE losses, we are fine there as we have depth. The OL loses two interior guys, but provided that Albert returns, we should have a really good OL (if healthy) with Monroe/Albert/Barker at the core. Hopefully Sewell improves in the passing game. The return of Ogletree, plus the kids developments this year, should help at WR. We have good RB depth with Peerman/Payne/Pearman, and the only non-P, Simpson.

Defensively, obviously Long hurts. We lose the underrated Allen Billyk, who was decent for us even being undersized. But we get Nick Jenkins and Sean Gottschalk in the rotation, to go with the other guys. Arguably, we could have a better DL overall than this past year. LB loses Dias, but eh. We have ample guys to back up. The CB's were young this year, and should get better, and losing Lyles hurts, but we have enough options to plug in there that might be better fits for the defense.

Our 2nd biggest loss might be Chris Gould.

I've been looking forward to the 08 season since the end of the 06. This year was having the dessert before dinner. I like our chances in the ACC, although Virginia Tech's offense should be solid.

BrownsTown
12-15-2007, 05:11 PM
If OSU wins the NC:
1. OSU
2. USC
3. Florida
4. Georgia
5. Oklahoma

If OSU loses
1. USC
2. Florida
3. Georgia
4. Oklahoma
5. OSU

It really depends alot on returning players for OSU.

etk
12-15-2007, 05:12 PM
I think Virginia will compete with Tech & UNC for the divisional berth. I give them a slight edge but the ACC is almost a crapshoot right now. We have a small shot if we put it together, but that hasn't happened in a while.

keylime_5
12-15-2007, 06:29 PM
I think James Laurinaitis is gonna be back next season. OSU should be a top 3 team; whoever wins the OSU/USC game next September will be #2 likely behind Florida. But Tebow will not win the heisman again b/c of Moody being added to the picture and the fact that returning heisman guys never win since Archie.

Smooth Criminal
12-16-2007, 07:52 PM
I'd love to see some of the great OSU defenders stay in school. This defese could be so good if Gholston and Laurinatis stay put.

504 to ATL
12-16-2007, 08:18 PM
Entering the season I would have:
UF
USC
OU
UGA
WVA

As the season progresses:

OSU will not in reality be among the top 5 teams in the nation, but by virtue of default they will be there.

I believe UF and USC run away with this one easily.

I guess UGA will be a close 4th by losing only to UF, and OU will be a close third if undefeated.

BadgerMike
12-18-2007, 09:25 PM
Where did you see this? The only thing I have heard was that each was going to see what his draft grade was and not make any decisions until after the bowl game.

JSOnline did interviews with both players. Both indicated they were leaning on coming back. You never know though. I bet Calhoun wished he came back at this time.

BerninWI
12-20-2007, 10:51 PM
Donovan, Morelli and Henne are all gone. Boeckman could declare with a strong performance in the title game. The Big 10 does have some good QBs returning but Illinois is the only decent team that will return their starter for certain, and even Juice isn't a great passer.

The average Big 10 teams will most likely improve, but many of them are losing a lot of starters, with most of them being key players. Penn State will be very good with strong QB play, while Illinois could repeat this year's success if they return Mendenhall. Wisconsin returns most of their team but Beckum and Ikegwuonu are probably declaring. Michigan will suck. OSU has the potential to be a top-3 team next year but the draft could deplete a lot of their Juniors, leaving them in Florida's position this year. When I put all of this together I see the potential for another down year in the Big 10, leaving them on par with the ACC when it comes to parity.

Wisconsin by no means legitimately deserves to be in the conversation for the preseason top 5 for 2008, but I thought your claims about Beckum and Ikegwuonu declaring were baseless in the first place and something you just threw out there to support your thesis that the Big Ten would stink. http://wisconsin.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=753632 It was always fairly obvious, to me at least, that he'd return for his senior year. Beckum's a 224 pound tight end who needs to gain a substantial amount of weight before he's ready for the NFL, or get seasoning at wideout. Plus he's only been in the Badger program for 3 years and a contributor for 2. He's always seemed genuinely prideful about Badger accomplishments and disgusted by failures. Beckum has far from had his fill of the Badger program.

Ikegwuonu is a different story however. I'd assert that it's more likely than not he declares. He's a redshirt junior, so he's been in the program for 4 years, and been a starter for 3. Has great size for the cornerback position, and if he exhibits the speed at the combine that most Badger fans know he possesses, he could even catapult to the first round. At worst he should be drafted in the top 2 rounds. The legal problems have been a very wearing situation on him and he might think it's due time he gets compensated for his services. He probably does declare.

But the Big Ten won't be down again next year because of your reasoning. It's a double standard to cherry pick a key player lost from Big Ten teams here and there. Who doesn't lose numerous key players every season? That is diluted when you measure over an entire conference. It's major, D1 College Football! If you want to follow football where there's a marginal difference between every player, so you can't lose anyone of impact, and the conference is carried by 1-2 teams; go watch the Gateway brother. Go watch the Gateway.

etk
12-21-2007, 08:39 AM
I thought Beckum should stay for his Senior season because of the weight issues for a TE. I got caught up in the rumors thread in the draft forum where people posted articles saying he was seriously contemplating declaring. I don't consider that baseless.

keylime_5
12-21-2007, 09:47 AM
I'd love to see some of the great OSU defenders stay in school. This defese could be so good if Gholston and Laurinatis stay put.

Gholston is probably gone, but Lawrence Wilson returns so the dropoff won't be much at all if any. I'm liking our chances of JL staying. Our team is preseason top 5 for sure, probably top 3.

DWilliams2IndyColts
12-23-2007, 01:48 AM
1. Georgia
2. LSU
3. USC
4. Oklahoma
5. Florida
6. Ohio State
7. Texas
8. West Virginia
9. Illinois
10. Clemson

oregonbucfan
12-23-2007, 07:33 AM
3. OREGON- Call me Captain Obvious, but when you lose the most valuable player in the NCAA's, you're going to slip. Dixon is out, Jonathan Stewart may be gone, the receivers graduate, and they're left looking for playmakers on both sides of the ball.

what playmakers on defense do we lose?

Last I checked the pac-10 leader in sacks returns, and probably a first team all american safety. Plus both CB return. I dont see us losing any playmakers on defense.

The WR graduate? Only WR that graduates is Brian Paysinger and maybe Cameron Colvin (Bellotti says its 50/50 he gets a 5th year). Lets say we lose Jonathan Stewart, we still have Jermiah Johnson returning who would have been a 1,000 back if he stayed healthy. Our OL should be solid. Only question mark is QB.

Not saying were a top 10 team, but I dont see us losing more then 4 games.