PDA

View Full Version : Hey Scott what do you think the Falcons will do now?

Chris30277
12-12-2007, 10:23 AM
With Booby Petrino running off to Arkansas, I seriously doubt Atlanta takes a realistic look at Brohm now. One of the main reason's everyone has him in their mock is because Petrino coached him, and he already knows Petrino's system. Now that it looks like Atlanta will not be running that system, who would be a good candidate? I know whoever they hire as a HC could dictate the direction they go in, but do you think they will give Jake Long a fair shake?

georgiafan
12-12-2007, 10:31 AM
I still think Mcfadden he makes you a better team right away and a position of need (26th). He also gives you a face of the franchise and helps sell tickets something that is lacking. I'm not scott, but thats my 2 cents

urinemonkey
12-12-2007, 10:34 AM
I still think Mcfadden he makes you a better team right away and a position of need (26th). He also gives you a face of the franchise and helps sell tickets something that is lacking. I'm not scott, but thats my 2 cents

That's the same logic used to explain why Houston should select Bush 1st a couple years ago.

I think they have to take a QB.

bored of education
12-12-2007, 10:46 AM
It depends on the coach. I think they could go Jake Long then get a Qb later. June Jones, ATL, Colt Brennan! ZOMGZ im smart

toonsterwu
12-12-2007, 10:51 AM
I'd imagine QB still is at the top of the list. They did cycle through 3 QB's this year. That said, very much depends on where they pick and who the coach is.

Geo
12-12-2007, 11:38 AM
If I'm a Falcons fan, I hope they don't dump taking the best player available to instead force the issue of taking a quarterback they think will be their franchise signal-caller for desperate want of one, but Blank's comments on Monday night indicate that they will be taking a quarterback no matter what. Which doesn't entirely surprise me, I think Blank's meddling in the football affairs have hurt this team and this is just another scenario for his decisions/demands to bear rotten fruit.

Learn from the San Francisco 49ers, don't take a (questionable) quarterback when you've got a number of needs elsewhere and I'm looking at improving my team through at least two years' worth, maybe three years' worth, of the NFL Draft. Yeah, it worked for Manning and the Colts, but that's Peyton Manning and the Colts' coaching staff who helped engineer the greatest turnaround in league history from 3-13 in 1998 (Manning's rookie year) to 13-3 in 1999.

If I'm the Falcons, my focus is on improving the offensive line and defensive line first and foremost at the top of the first round. Those guys can contribute from day one and set up success for skill position players now and future. But that's me (and I've never liked the Jamaal Anderson pick of last year, so take that for what it's worth, I guess).

megansett56BC
12-12-2007, 12:07 PM
i'd have to agree with taking jake long if he's there. their o-line has been awful this year between injuries and the scheme change, but i still believe taking a franchsie tackle would be best. get him in there, and get him seasoned. then, if none of these qb's they have do well enough in the new coach's scheme, then go in and get a qb. at least in that case a rookie qb won't stunt his development by scrambling for his life every play.

DChess
12-12-2007, 12:14 PM
i really cant see them not taking a QB. they brought in a guy who sold insurance to play quarterback for them on monday night. nothing changes there without a proper signal caller.

Favre4ever
12-12-2007, 12:17 PM

I think youre right. Jake long would make more sense but with the loss of vick need a replacement for the fans and quick.

georgiafan
12-12-2007, 12:43 PM
OT is a major problem as the falcons haven't had a good LT in about 2 decades. The falcons have said they will sit a rookie QB for a year and that sounds good. But I'm not sure if there is a QB on the roster worthy of being backup much less a starter. Even if the falcons trade for someone like Mcnabb he isn't going to succed until they have a HB and a OL.

urinemonkey
12-12-2007, 12:46 PM
OT is a major problem as the falcons haven't had a good LT in about 2 decades. The falcons have said they will sit a rookie QB for a year and that sounds good. But I'm not sure if there is a QB on the roster worthy of being backup much less a starter. Even if the falcons trade for someone like Mcnabb he isn't going to succed until they have a HB and a OL.

Jerious Norwood I think could be an exceptional RB. Maybe not everydown though. He and McFadden would be a dynamic duo though.

DSlay4
12-12-2007, 12:46 PM
If I'm a Falcons fan, I hope they don't dump taking the best player available to instead force the issue of taking a quarterback they think will be their franchise signal-caller for desperate want of one, but Blank's comments on Monday night indicate that they will be taking a quarterback no matter what. Which doesn't entirely surprise me, I think Blank's meddling in the football affairs have hurt this team and this is just another scenario for his decisions/demands to bear rotten fruit.

Learn from the San Francisco 49ers, don't take a (questionable) quarterback when you've got a number of needs elsewhere and I'm looking at improving my team through at least two years' worth, maybe three years' worth, of the NFL Draft. Yeah, it worked for Manning and the Colts, but that's Peyton Manning and the Colts' coaching staff who helped engineer the greatest turnaround in league history from 3-13 in 1998 (Manning's rookie year) to 13-3 in 1999.

If I'm the Falcons, my focus is on improving the offensive line and defensive line first and foremost at the top of the first round. Those guys can contribute from day one and set up success for skill position players now and future. But that's me (and I've never liked the Jamaal Anderson pick of last year, so take that for what it's worth, I guess).

Exactly. It's pointless to draft a QB in the first round unless your certain he's gonna be your guy for years to come.

They should just look to strengthen up there O-Line and D-Line in this draft, and they should sign a veteran QB and play him until they feel there's a top notch QB they can draft.

Ho0k Em'
12-12-2007, 01:15 PM
What makes Jake Long less of a risk than Brian Brohm? Because they lost their coach they're not going to draft a possible franchise QB? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me seeing as noone knows how that Falcons organization feels about Brohm. I think it goes McFadden(BPA), Brohm, then LOng.

keylime_5
12-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Matt Ryan. I think Brohm will be the 3rd QB taken in the draft this year, upside is the name of the game.

Chris30277
12-12-2007, 01:29 PM
If you have watched the Falcons this year you will know that McFadden will not be able to do anything behind our offensive line. The team is down to the skin on their teeth right now all across the line. We cannot run the ball, and if the current QB does not get rid of the ball as soon as he finishes his drop he will be sacked instantly. He might even get sacked before he finishes it.

We need to rebuild the offensive line before we think about getting a talent like McFadden. He will not be able to be successful with the crap we have now. Jake Long in the first, with the possibility of trading up for one of the big 3 that falls would be fine with me.

fenikz
12-12-2007, 01:48 PM
I think no matter what they will get a quality FA Vet in, McNabb or Pennington, then it depends on how much they fall in love with a QB as to if he is worth of a top 5 pick for them

Turtlepower
12-12-2007, 02:01 PM
I say if there is a QB who stands himself out at the Senior Bowl, take him. If not, go with BPA.

FinChase
12-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Granted, they need a QB, but FA has to be considered. Also, good QBs can be found outside the first round. Just this year, look at Trent Edwards. They may not all be quite as ready to play immediately, but if they can get a decent vet to hold the fort for a year or two, they can get the young guy ready to play.

Personally, I like Erik Ainge in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Scott Wright
12-12-2007, 03:50 PM
I am going to start working on a new mock draft tomorrow and hope to have it up Friday later in the day.

BamaFalcon59
12-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Personally, I think we need an identity and we have potential to be very good on defense. So, I like Dorsey, McFadden, and Long. In that order. If we grab any of those 3 I will be happy. Any QB would be a bad pick. Especially that bust Matt Ryan.

falconsrule
12-12-2007, 05:18 PM
Exactly. It's pointless to draft a QB in the first round unless your certain he's gonna be your guy for years to come.

They should just look to strengthen up there O-Line and D-Line in this draft, and they should sign a veteran QB and play him until they feel there's a top notch QB they can draft.

You nailed it...I've watch every single game this year and we have to improve our O-Line that should be priority number one so I would grab Jake Long if he is still there if not I would take McFadden.

ATLDirtyBirds
12-12-2007, 05:31 PM
If we improve our O-Line via FA like I think, I'd have to say McFadden. Atlanta needs an offensive star.

Shiver
12-12-2007, 05:34 PM
My take on this situation* is that the Falcons need help on offense. Defensively they are inconsistent, but only due to the fact that they are starting rookies and sophomores all over the place. They have a nice core on defense with Hall, Boley, Brooking, Abraham, and Coleman; they just need the young guys like Anderson and Houston to come along. So what does that leave you at the top of the draft? There are three players that instantly come to mind: Darren McFadden, Matt Ryan, Jake Long. Any of those players would be welcome additions. I think the odds are that McFadden will be gone by Atlanta's pick, because he is by far the best player available. If he is gone I think Matt Ryan is a "no-brainer." Ryan, to me, reminds me of Carson Palmer coming out.

* You guys should be happy the coward left, otherwise I probably wouldn't be posting. I just cannot resist when this is going on.

BamaFalcon59
12-12-2007, 05:57 PM
I can't stand Ryan. He doesn't push the ball downfield much, tries to make too many plays, when he gets outside the pocket refuses to make the 'smart' play and instead throws interceptions.

Dorsey could take this defense to the next level. Him and Babineaux would be a mean combination. But if we go offense we need to go all offense. Get the future settled. Ie Jake Long, James Davis, Colt Brennan. Because the offense is completely unsettled and can't be fixed with one piece. WR and FB are the only settled positions, and WR could even use an addition (who doubles as a PR/KR as well).

jetsfan0099
12-12-2007, 06:08 PM
Noway they get McFadden, reason 1, they wont be high enough to get him, reason 2 they need a QB. Or a LT, isnt Gandy going to be like 37 next year?? And he got injured this year, if Jake Long is on the board they should take him.

BamaFalcon59
12-12-2007, 06:14 PM
No QB is worth that pick.

We are 3-10 and likely end with 3-4 wins. We will have a legit shot at McFadden. Now, I would be happy with Jake Long or Glenn Dorsey but McFadden is a huge possibility.

Shiver
12-12-2007, 06:20 PM
I would love Long or McFadden, but Glenn Dorsey would suck. No 3-technique DT should be a top-5 pick in my opinion. Especially when the team has Coleman and Babineaux. They need a NT, and Dorsey is not that.

Chris30277
12-12-2007, 07:37 PM
If we improve our O-Line via FA like I think, I'd have to say McFadden. Atlanta needs an offensive star.

The only problem with that is there are no great LT's in FA. Besides linemen have been getting Monopoly money the last few years. This years draft needs to be dedicated to finding value at the offensive line.

I wouldn't mind getting a Guard in FA, but then I think drafting a LT like Long early on, then maybe a Guard and possibly a Center later on would be perfect. Without these critical pieces McFadden would look like a Bust here.

ATLDirtyBirds
12-12-2007, 07:40 PM
The only problem with that is there are no great LT's in FA. Besides linemen have been getting Monopoly money the last few years. This years draft needs to be dedicated to finding value at the offensive line.

I wouldn't mind getting a Guard in FA, but then I think drafting a LT like Long early on, then maybe a Guard and possibly a Center later on would be perfect. Without these critical pieces McFadden would look like a Bust here.

The thing that I question is if Jake Long really is the LT we need, or if he is a RT.

BamaFalcon59
12-12-2007, 07:43 PM
I would love Long or McFadden, but Glenn Dorsey would suck. No 3-technique DT should be a top-5 pick in my opinion. Especially when the team has Coleman and Babineaux. They need a NT, and Dorsey is not that.

I don't know if Coleman is still here next year, and in my opinion Dorsey can excel at under tackle or noze tackle with his athleticism, strength, and stout build.

Chris30277
12-13-2007, 12:19 AM
A few months back Dorsey was hands down who I considered BPA. When healthy he still is... unfortunately The Falcons' anemic offense needs to take precidence in this draft. It needs to be fixed at all costs. There are still really good players in this draft that we have a legitamate shot at getting who can help us in that area.

I would not be upset with either Darren McFadden or Jake Long. Although I think we need Long more to allow whoever we end up with at RB to be successful, McFadden would be fine with me as long as we make an effort to find value along the offensive line in the 2nd or 3rd round.

LonghornsLegend
12-13-2007, 03:27 AM
Mcfadden and Norwood would be pretty sick, and I think it could work if the Falcons pursue linemen in free agency with someone already solid, and their is a qb they like who falls out of the 1st rd