PDA

View Full Version : derza222 2008 first round mock 1.0

derza222
12-12-2007, 11:17 AM
This is my first shot at an '08 mock so be kind...if any pick is shaky because of need or scheme just let me know so I can do better next time around. Feedback is definitely appreciated, thanks.

1. Miami- Chris Long, DE, Virginia

2. New England (from San Fran)- Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State

3. St. Louis- Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU

4. Atlanta- Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas

5. New York Jets- Vernon Gholston, OLB, Ohio State

6. Kansas City- Jake Long, OT, Michigan

7. Oakland- Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC

8. Baltimore- Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College

9. Cincinnati- James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State

10. Carolina- Kenny Phillips, S, Miami

11. Chicago- Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State

12. Philadelphia- DeSean Jackson, WR, Cal

13. Arizona- Derrick Harvey, DE/OLB, Florida

14. New Orleans- Dan Connor, LB, Penn State

15. Houston- Chris Williams, LT, Vanderbilt

16. Denver- Erin Henderson, LB, Maryland

17. Detroit- Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas

18. Washington- Calais Campbell, DE, Miami

19. Tennessee- Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma

20. Buffalo- James Hardy, WR, Indiana

21. Minnesota- Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh

22. Dallas (from Cleveland)- Reggie Smith, S, Oklahoma

23. Tampa Bay- Sam Baker, LT, USC

24. San Diego- Phil Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma

25. Seattle- Jonathan Steward, RB, Oregon

26. Pittsburgh- Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College

27. New York Giants- Mike Jenkins, CB, USF

28. Jacksonville- Early Doucet, WR, LSU

29. Green Bay- Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona

30. San Francisco (from Indy)- Dre Moore, DE, Maryland

31. Dallas- Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas

32. New England (forfeited)

Jakey
12-12-2007, 11:57 AM
OT is obviously a need for the Steelers...but i dont really like Cherilous. If Chris Williams and Jeff Otah were both off the board, i wouldnt mind taking a look at WR...maybe James Hardy or Earl Bennett.

I hope that helps =D

derza222
12-12-2007, 12:01 PM
OT is obviously a need for the Steelers...but i dont really like Cherilous. If Chris Williams and Jeff Otah were both off the board, i wouldnt mind taking a look at WR...maybe James Hardy or Earl Bennett.

I hope that helps =D

Definitely, thanks. I went Cherilus there because I really didn't know what else I could look at. Hardy's gone but EB works. What about Duke Robinson in case Faneca leaves in FA?

Jakey
12-12-2007, 12:20 PM
^ oops...i didnt see to Hardy to Buffalo there...but ye man, Bennett or Robinson would both be good picks!

urinemonkey
12-12-2007, 12:22 PM
16. Denver- Erin Henderson, LB, Maryland

I prefer Keith Rivers, but still a decent selection.

Xiomera
12-12-2007, 12:36 PM
17. Detroit- Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas

I would be happy with this pick. It's a toss up in my mind whether I like Mike Jenkins or Talib more . . .

Jakey
12-12-2007, 12:51 PM
^ i agree thats a tough 1...i'd probably just edge with Talib

Turtlepower
12-12-2007, 12:57 PM
I really don't like Jenkins that much and OLB is just as much of a need. That is why I would prefer Keith Rivers.

CC.SD
12-12-2007, 01:22 PM
I love Loadholt to the Bolts. First mock I've really liked.

TACKLE
12-12-2007, 01:34 PM
OT is obviously a need for the Steelers...but i dont really like Cherilous. If Chris Williams and Jeff Otah were both off the board,

Out of curiousity, why is OT such an obvious need for Pittsburg. Willie Colon has started every game in only his second season and I thought that Marvel Smith is a solid LT. Are either leaving in FA? Just wondering.

TACKLE
12-12-2007, 01:36 PM
Pretty good mock. I'm not sold on Doucet as a 1st rounder. I also think Derrick Harvey is too high. He has struggled this year with only 6.5 sacks. I don't think he has very good value at 13.

Jakey
12-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Out of curiousity, why is OT such an obvious need for Pittsburg. Willie Colon has started every game in only his second season and I thought that Marvel Smith is a solid LT. Are either leaving in FA? Just wondering.

-Marvel Smith's contract is up soon...and he has had a pinched nerve which has been slowing him down the last few years.

-Willie Colon has played well at RT (except against Mike Vrabel) :rolleyes: ...but he would be much better suited at right guard, and he may play there eventually.

-Max Starks (the only capable backup at tackle) will be leaving after the season...and there is no depth behind him.

So we could do with grooming someone who can take over in a year or two.

derza222
12-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Pretty good mock. I'm not sold on Doucet as a 1st rounder. I also think Derrick Harvey is too high. He has struggled this year with only 6.5 sacks. I don't think he has very good value at 13.

I agree on both of those counts. I had a really tough time with Arizona and just ended up going with Harvey because it does fill a need. Similar situation with the Doucet. Agree both were reaches, just had trouble thinking of who to give both teams at those spots.

I really don't like Jenkins that much and OLB is just as much of a need. That is why I would prefer Keith Rivers.

I was trying to figure out who to take between Jenkins and Rivers and decided to go Jenkins there, definitely could go Rivers though thanks for pointing that out. Out of curiosity, if I go Rivers to Denver would you want Henderson or Jenkins?

fenikz
12-12-2007, 01:46 PM
way to high for Harvey, i don't think he can play OLB in the 3-4 either, if your gonna give us a DE make it Campbell, he would probably be the best pick there

derza222
12-12-2007, 01:47 PM
way to high for Harvey, i don't think he can play OLB in the 3-4 either, if your gonna give us a DE make it Campbell, he would probably be the best pick there

Alright thanks for the feedback, definitely had a tough time with the Cards pick. Does Campbell really fit as a 3-4 DL though? Outside of him, who would be a better pick?

Bills2083
12-12-2007, 02:17 PM
I wouldn't mind Hardy for the Bills

Turtlepower
12-12-2007, 02:19 PM
I was trying to figure out who to take between Jenkins and Rivers and decided to go Jenkins there, definitely could go Rivers though thanks for pointing that out. Out of curiosity, if I go Rivers to Denver would you want Henderson or Jenkins?

It is all personal preference from there on out. I have Henderson rated higher than most other people and have Jenkins lower. I know my fellow G-Men buddies on here love Cason, but I think he is a poor man's Aaron Ross. So if it was me, I would choose Henderson, but most people I have seen would go with Cason first and then Jenkins second. Really until the Combine, the CB rankings are mostly personal preference.

derza222
12-12-2007, 02:42 PM
It is all personal preference from there on out. I have Henderson rated higher than most other people and have Jenkins lower. I know my fellow G-Men buddies on here love Cason, but I think he is a poor man's Aaron Ross. So if it was me, I would choose Henderson, but most people I have seen would go with Cason first and then Jenkins second. Really until the Combine, the CB rankings are mostly personal preference.

I definitely think Henderson would be a good pick at that spot, he's a good player. And I think the Ross-Cason comparison is pretty solid. Tough to figure out who's a better player this early, but the two have similar playing styles and you're going to want a different style corner on the opposite side IMO, which is why I didn't go Cason there.

Yung Flippa
12-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Good Ravens and Texans picks

Babylon
12-12-2007, 07:05 PM
No Brohm and no Woodson? you have a better chance of hitting the lottery, surprised no one else commented on that.

derza222
12-12-2007, 07:11 PM
No Brohm and no Woodson? you have a better chance of hitting the lottery, surprised no one else commented on that.

I think lots of teams wait until the second this year. I kicked around giving the Panthers and Bears QB's but I think they try and get help in other areas. Panthers are the only team I didn't give a QB that I think actually goes for one in the first. Although the Falcons might look in that direction which could shake things up a bit. Maybe Seattle or TB but again I think good QB's can be had later in this draft. I probably should've had one of the two but I don't think both go in the first. The QB's at the top this year just aren't very good.

aNYtitan
12-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Very pleased with the Titans draft, as Malcolm Kelly fills in an immediate need position

BaLLiN
12-12-2007, 09:47 PM
Cason seems a little better than Mike Jenkins for the giants, but either one seems okay at this point

Jensen
12-12-2007, 11:21 PM
Give the Cardinals Calais Campbell there instead of Harvey.

Vikes99ej
12-12-2007, 11:26 PM
Good pick for the Vikings. Big run-blocker, don't know much about his pass-blocking abilities.

Caddy
12-13-2007, 01:18 AM
Good Buccaneer selection. With Sam Baker the Buccaneers offensive line is nearly complete.

ABWA757
12-13-2007, 07:41 AM
hardy would be an awsom pick for the bills

Yung Flippa
12-13-2007, 10:26 PM
Soild Ravens and Texans picks