PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Tailbacks in this years draft?

TouchdownUSC
12-13-2007, 01:56 PM
who and in what order would you place the 5 best tailbacks available in this years draft?

Babylon
12-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Mcfadden
Stewart
Felix Jones
Mendenhall
Ray Rice

Geo
12-13-2007, 02:11 PM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15165

Similar thread here, chums. Check it out.

TouchdownUSC
12-13-2007, 03:17 PM
Im just curious as to what kind of prospects you guys think Chauncey Washington (USC), Brandon Ore (VT) and Steve Slaton (WVU) are where in the draft they will go?

no love
12-13-2007, 03:34 PM
Im just curious as to what kind of prospects you guys think Chauncey Washington (USC), Brandon Ore (VT) and Steve Slaton (WVU) are where in the draft they will go?

Why didn't you just say so.

Slaton is a weapon. He has better size then some of the other small guys that have come out (Wolf, Sproles). He will be an excellent 3rd down option till he can prove that he can do the little things like pass pro and run inbetween the tackles. He has home run speed, can stop on a dime and really knows how to run in the open field. Sometimes he seems to struggle

Brandon Ore. I've seen him play once this year and he looked terrible. He didn't hit the hole with authority, didn't make the first guy miss and didn't read the holes well. Holes closed up on and he didn't break outside or look for a cutback. I hear he was better last year... but maybe it was just the game I watched.

Chauncey Washington seems like a back with legit talent but an inability to consistently show up. The thing that irks me about him is that he is a big back but doesn't always run downhill. When he gets going downhill he is a load. He has choppy footwork and he hasn't impressed me with any receiving skills whatsoever. He is pretty one dimensional right now and is probably a late 1st day pick unless he has a gaudy 40 time.

If you are looking for midround guys (I am guessing because you have Ore and Washington, Slaton is probably a late 1st/early second because of his big play ability) I would go for someone like Justin Forsett. He is an excellent 3rd down back who has the ability to become an every down back further down the road. He has good vision, runs with excellent power in the middle, is a great receiver out of the backfield and has homerun speed. Comparing him to other Pac-10 backs who came out, he is like Justin Fargas but more versatile and better lateral agility.

kwilk103
12-13-2007, 04:42 PM
wvu's line sucked this year; thats why slatons numbers are way down

TACKLE
12-13-2007, 05:53 PM
1. Darren McFadden
2. Jonathan Stewart
3. Rashard Mendenhall
4. Felix Jones
5. Steve Slaton

FinNasty
12-13-2007, 06:06 PM
Umm... Kevin Smith?

Hes in the top 5... if not the top 3...

TACKLE
12-13-2007, 06:48 PM
Umm... Kevin Smith?

Hes in the top 5... if not the top 3...

He may move up to #4 but I can't see him surpassing Stewart or Mendenhall despite his freakish production. But who knows, if he does good at the combine he could be a 1st round lock.

FinNasty
12-13-2007, 06:59 PM
1. McFadden
2a. Smith
2b. Stewart
4. Mendenhall
5. Felix Jones

ATLDirtyBirds
12-13-2007, 07:15 PM
1. McFadden
2. Mendenhall
3. Stewart
4. Jones
5. Charles

Yeah, so what? I like Jamaal Charles.

Tampa 2 4 life
12-13-2007, 07:16 PM
Mcfadden
Stewart
Mendenhall
Jones
Rice

FinNasty
12-13-2007, 07:24 PM
He may move up to #4 but I can't see him surpassing Stewart or Mendenhall despite his freakish production. But who knows, if he does good at the combine he could be a 1st round lock.

Smith is the biggest lock to be successful on the next level. Thats because of all the different traits of a RB, 24k has the best vision in this years class. And that is absolutly no knock on some of the other RBs in this class, who have great vision themselves. There are others who have a higher ceiling though (like McFadden/Stewart).

But vision is the skill that translates best in the pros... and Smith has the best vision in the class.

That makes him worthy to be in the top 5, IMO.

It really isnt his freakish production that should raise his stock... except if he runs all over Miss State (who held McFadden to 88 yards). I will be the first to admit that Smith's production is a little inflated due to some of his opponents. The numbers create hype... but its the game film on him that will raise his stock with scouts. Watching the little things like pass protection, hands, ability to make defenders miss, leg drive, or that he doesnt fumble.

He has played against some weak opponents... but hes doing what a truely great player should do against weak defenses... he is blowing them out of the water.

Tampa 2 4 life
12-13-2007, 07:27 PM
Smith is the biggest lock to be successful on the next level. Thats because of all the different traits of a RB, 24k has the best vision in this years class. And that is absolutly no knock on some of the other RBs in this class, who have great vision themselves.

But vision is the skill that translates best in the pros... and Smith has the best vision in the class.

That makes him worthy to be in the top 5, IMO.

It really isnt his freakish production that raises his stock... except if he runs all over Miss State (who held McFadden to 88 yards). I will be the first to admit that Smith's production is a little inflated. The numbers create hype... but its the game film on him that will raise his stock with scouts. Watching the little things like pass protection, hands, ability to make defenders miss, leg drive, or that he doesnt fumble.

He has played against some weak opponents... but hes doing what a great player should do against weak defenses... blowing them out of the water.

I think Kevin Smith is a big risk. His speed is definitely an issue versus NFL Defenses, he'll either need to bulk up or do great in the agility drills to be a Late 1st - Early 2nd Guy. I do like his vision though.

fenikz
12-13-2007, 07:27 PM
Run DMC
Stewart
Mendenhall
Jones
Rice

Forte > Smith :p

FinNasty
12-13-2007, 07:30 PM
Run DMC
Stewart
Mendenhall
Jones
Rice

Forte > Smith :p

Quit playin about Forte > Smith... lol;)

But your boy Forte is going to be the biggest sleeper in this draft. If the Fins dont take a RB high like McFadden or Smith... I would love to grab Forte on the 2nd day.

6'1 225lbs and quick? The kid is going to be good... and one hell of a steal. I cant believe more people arnt talking about him in this years class...

theogt
12-15-2007, 01:17 AM
Tashard Choice should be in anyone's top 5.

Don Vito
12-15-2007, 01:22 AM
Tashard Choice should be in anyone's top 5.

Depending on who declares, Choice could fall out of the top 10 backs in this class. I like Choice but some injuries came at inopporitune times this year, he didn't get to showcase everything and will slip into day 2 most likely. He went from a heisman candidate to a forgotten player pretty much.

Regardless of injuries, he is a pretty tough player and I think he will be a great backup or change of pace back in the NFL. He is one of those guys who could suprise as a rookie.

toonsterwu
12-15-2007, 01:58 AM
As for the three guys you mentioned -

Brandon Ore - He got better as he got healthier. If he came out, it's probably in the 3rd/4th range. I don't expect it. Stay another year and he could be a top 2 round RB (assuming all goes well).

Steve Slaton - I can see him popping out, but he really shouldn't. His stock has slid. Still likely a potential 2nd rounder, but another year, and he could be in the first round (assuming all goes well)

Chauncey Washington - A tad underrated, but unless he puts up better numbers than expected, I'd look for him in the 5th and on range.

My current top 5 values (not how I prefer them, my guess at values; I'm including everyone for now)

1. Darren McFadden - No one's budging him out of this spot. Top 5.
2. Rashard Mendenhall - 2/3 will depend on times. If Mendenhall runs as some think (say mid-4.4, as overrated as 40 times are), I could see him in say, the top 15 value wise, if he comes out.
3. Felix Jones - Run the blazing time some expect and he may go higher than Mendenhall. Potential mid-late first if he comes out.
4. Jonathan Stewart - 40 times are critical again. Needs a number better than mid-4.5. Guess is late first right now if he comes out.
5. Ray Rice - A lot of folks seem to love the guy in the same way that folks loved Caddy. Guess here is late first/early 2nd.

Top Senior:

Chris Johnson - Really had a strong season. I could see him, with top workouts, going in the 2nd.

Don Vito
12-15-2007, 02:09 AM
As for the three guys you mentioned -

Brandon Ore - He got better as he got healthier. If he came out, it's probably in the 3rd/4th range. I don't expect it. Stay another year and he could be a top 2 round RB (assuming all goes well).

Steve Slaton - I can see him popping out, but he really shouldn't. His stock has slid. Still likely a potential 2nd rounder, but another year, and he could be in the first round (assuming all goes well)

Chauncey Washington - A tad underrated, but unless he puts up better numbers than expected, I'd look for him in the 5th and on range.

My current top 5 values (not how I prefer them, my guess at values; I'm including everyone for now)

1. Darren McFadden - No one's budging him out of this spot. Top 5.
2. Rashard Mendenhall - 2/3 will depend on times. If Mendenhall runs as some think (say mid-4.4, as overrated as 40 times are), I could see him in say, the top 15 value wise, if he comes out.
3. Felix Jones - Run the blazing time some expect and he may go higher than Mendenhall. Potential mid-late first if he comes out.
4. Jonathan Stewart - 40 times are critical again. Needs a number better than mid-4.5. Guess is late first right now if he comes out.
5. Ray Rice - A lot of folks seem to love the guy in the same way that folks loved Caddy. Guess here is late first/early 2nd.

Top Senior:

Chris Johnson - Really had a strong season. I could see him, with top workouts, going in the 2nd.

I have only seen Chris Johnson play 2-3 times, but he is a playmaker. He is incredibly fast and is one of those guys who is a threat to score with the ball in his hands. What do you think about Ryan Torain? I know he got hurt but I think he can be a very big suprise for an NFL team, he has everything you want physically, has great vision, solid hands, and will break tackles.

Cory Boyd is another guy who is vastly underrated to me. Boyd and Torain are my favorite senior backs. I beleive Boyd and Knowshon run harder than anyone else in the nation, Boyd has great size, strength, is very athletic, is punishing, and is a deadly receiver. The way he runs could lead to injuries in the NFL but he is a 2nd rounder in my book, he may last to round 4 come April. I just don't see how he is so underrated.

theogt
12-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Depending on who declares, Choice could fall out of the top 10 backs in this class. I like Choice but some injuries came at inopporitune times this year, he didn't get to showcase everything and will slip into day 2 most likely. He went from a heisman candidate to a forgotten player pretty much.

Regardless of injuries, he is a pretty tough player and I think he will be a great backup or change of pace back in the NFL. He is one of those guys who could suprise as a rookie.He came back 2 weeks after knee surgery and ran 92 times for 446 yards in 3 games. That injury didn't lower his draft stock, it raised it in my opinion. It showed amazing toughness.

jayceheathman
12-15-2007, 05:43 PM
Justine Buries
Everyone else

BuddyCHRIST
12-15-2007, 08:34 PM
1. McFadden
2. Felix
3. Stewart
4. James Davis
5. Mendenhall

I really am not impressed by Slaton the more I see him the more I see how much he benefits from Pat White and how he's just a perfect fit for the spread. He dissapears for stretches and while he has great straight line speed he isn't that laterally quick and the size is an obvious concern.