PDA

View Full Version : Dan Conner vs. James Laurinitis

diabsoule
12-13-2007, 04:52 PM
Is Dan Conner more of an inside linebacker or would he be more suitable for outside? He kind of has the frame, size, and speed to play both positions so I was wondering which one he'd be more productive at.

Also, how does he compare to James Laurinitis at ILB? What's Conner better at than Laurinitis and vise versa.

urinemonkey
12-13-2007, 05:00 PM
Is Dan Conner more of an inside linebacker or would he be more suitable for outside? He kind of has the frame, size, and speed to play both positions so I was wondering which one he'd be more productive at.

I think he'll play MIKE in a 4-3 just like Posluszny for the Bills.

Cunningham
12-13-2007, 05:21 PM
can play all three positions imo...

Wootylicous
12-13-2007, 05:28 PM
Can he play in a 3-4 ?

MaxV
12-13-2007, 05:32 PM
As I've said numerous times before, I believe that Connor is at his best when playing MLB.

He has the speed to play in the OLB, but it's his ability to fight through blockers that makes him a great prospect. And he IS a great prospect.

I honestly believe that he doesn't have a clear-cut weakness in his game.

MaxV
12-13-2007, 05:32 PM
Can he play in a 3-4 ?

Yes, as a MLB.

Don Vito
12-13-2007, 06:33 PM
I like him best as a 4-3 MLB, but he can probably play 4-3 SLB & WLB very well too. I also think he has the potential to be a great 3-4 MLB and SLB. Connor is a great LB prospect, I would love for the Patriots to snatch him or Laurinaitis.

A Perfect Score
12-14-2007, 08:19 AM
connor isnt better then laurinatis, i can tell you that...he isnt as fast, tenacious, or as good in coverage. However, he does get off of blocks better and he may have slightly better instincts then James. In the end, Id definately give the nod to Laurinatis, but not by too too much. Laurinatis is probably a top 10 pick while Connor is more in that 10-15 range. In perspective, I had Laurinatis to the Eagles at 9 and Connor to the Saints in my recent mock.

Babylon
12-14-2007, 12:07 PM
connor isnt better then laurinatis, i can tell you that...he isnt as fast, tenacious, or as good in coverage. However, he does get off of blocks better and he may have slightly better instincts then James. In the end, Id definately give the nod to Laurinatis, but not by too too much. Laurinatis is probably a top 10 pick while Connor is more in that 10-15 range. In perspective, I had Laurinatis to the Eagles at 9 and Connor to the Saints in my recent mock.

Gotta question whether Lauranaitis is faster than Connor, i'll go out on a limb and say he isnt. Both are instinctive, both are probably better suited to playing inside although Connor would probably do well as an olb in a 4-3. Personally i dont like getting into the whole 3-4, 4-3, cover 2, Tampa 2.......thing, guys can play they find a spot for them and defenses change all the time, dont like all that "where can he play" talk.

underscore
12-14-2007, 05:44 PM
Connor showed up in big games. Laurinaitis didn't. That says a lot.

Based on numbers, Connor did a lot better in pass coverage than JL, too.

Connor does have a slight concern about a knee that had fluid buildup after several games this year.

Bengals1690
12-14-2007, 09:43 PM
Connor showed up in big games. Laurinaitis didn't. That says a lot.

Based on numbers, Connor did a lot better in pass coverage than JL, too.

Connor does have a slight concern about a knee that had fluid buildup after several games this year.

I demand stats for proof.

Dan conner hasnt even played any big games.

CrackerJack465
12-15-2007, 12:59 AM
Dan Connor is faster, James isnt very fast. Hes not close to the prospect AJ Hawk was a couple years ago.

But, I would still takes James. James is more instinctive. He doesnt get off blocks very well though.

underscore
12-15-2007, 06:25 AM
I demand stats for proof.

Dan conner hasnt even played any big games.

Connor vs. OSU, UM:

27 tackles (11 solo), 2 TFL, 1 INT

Laurinaitis vs. PSU, UM:

8 tackles (2 solo), 0.5 TFL

ThePudge
12-15-2007, 12:52 PM
Connor vs. OSU, UM:

27 tackles (11 solo), 2 TFL, 1 INT

Laurinaitis vs. PSU, UM:

8 tackles (2 solo), 0.5 TFL

Connor didnt have 27, that's exaggerated by about 10 I believe. If I'm not mistaken, he has 18 tackles against OSU. Very good, yes... but you exaggerated it a lot. Plus, what happened to PSU in that "big game".. 37-17 OSU, correct? PSU's Defense was on the field more and OSU ran the ball more.

diabsoule
12-15-2007, 01:07 PM
Connor didnt have 27, that's exaggerated by about 10 I believe. If I'm not mistaken, he has 18 tackles against OSU. Very good, yes... but you exaggerated it a lot. Plus, what happened to PSU in that "big game".. 37-17 OSU, correct? PSU's Defense was on the field more and OSU ran the ball more.

It's not comparing teams and who showed up and who didn't. It's about whose performance came through in big games and who had the bigger impact while on the field.

Babylon
12-15-2007, 01:23 PM
I'd say without going too overboard on numbers they're very even. Both have nice size/speed and i think both can do a nice job in coverage for todays cover 2 defenses. I doubt you would go wrong either way and teams like New England(probably if they move down a little), Cincy, New Orleans would all be ready to make one of these guys their pick in round 1.

underscore
12-16-2007, 07:58 AM

18 tackles v. OSU, 9 vs. UM. If my math is correct, that's 27.

And don't give me the "PSU's defense was on the field more" stuff. OSU's defense must have been on the field about 30 seconds, since JL had zero solo tackles the entire game. Connor showed up. JL didn't. And that was the theme for both the entire season.

ThePudge
12-16-2007, 10:57 AM
18 tackles v. OSU, 9 vs. UM. If my math is correct, that's 27.

And don't give me the "PSU's defense was on the field more" stuff. OSU's defense must have been on the field about 30 seconds, since JL had zero solo tackles the entire game. Connor showed up. JL didn't. And that was the theme for both the entire season.

My bad there, didn't see the "UM". However, I don't think it's very fair to look at players in just this way... If you're going by that logic, Marcus Freeman must be the best out of all three.

Freeman vs. PSU - 14 Tackles 10 Solo 2 TFL 1 FF
vs. Illinois - 18 Tackles 10 Solo 1 TFL 1 BrUp
vs. UM - 9 Tackles 8 Solo 1 BrUp

However, Laurinaitis, like Connor and Freeman has his big games.

vs. Wisc - 19 Tackles 9 Solo 2 TFL 1 Sack 1 FR (close game until 4th)
vs. MSU - 12 Tackles 2 Solo 1 TFL 1 Sack (close game)
vs. UW - 8 tackles 4 Solo 1. TFL 2 Ints 1 Sack (als close game)

Oddly enough, those hree games at the bottom are just as big, as they are games that could have been lost

underscore
12-16-2007, 11:19 AM
No doubt, Freeman is a lot closer to Connor than JL.

Mr. Stiller
12-17-2007, 01:18 AM
Connor:

101 Tackles, 14 TFL's, 6.5 Sacks, 6 Passes Defensed, 1 INT

Laurinaitis:

71 Tackles, 8.5 TFL's, 5 Sacks, 1 Passes Defensed, 2 INTS.

On Numbers I take Conner.

I think Laurinaitis would make an exceptional 4-3 SAM and Connor would be best suited Inside any scheme.

If he were around at #25-32 Wherever Pittsburgh's pick is.. I'd be hardpressed not to take him.

Connor is listed at 6'3 232lbs, and ran as low as a 4.54 this spring.
Laurinaitis is listed at 6'3 247lbs and ran as low as a 4.56 this spring.

Though it's said Connor likely wouldn't best his #.. but Laurinaitis supposedly has a 4.4 hidden in there somewhere.

Just out of preference (3-4) I take Connor.

KCJ58
12-17-2007, 01:18 AM
what no poll?

MaxV
12-17-2007, 08:46 AM
what no poll?

Originally, this thread was all about Connor, but then it was changed.

Iamcanadian
12-17-2007, 09:14 AM
Laurinaitis is a top 10 prospect IMO, Connor isn't. Connor is likely going in the 12-20 range, more likely around #15.
Get serious people, comparing stats of college LB's is rather silly since each college defense can ask different things from its LB's. Stats aren't going to tell you much about who is the better pro prospect. You can compare stats of DE's if both play in a 4-3 system but LB's are almost impossible to compare.

keylime_5
12-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Laurinaitis is a top 15 guy. Connor isn't a lock to go first round, though he almost certainly will IMO. Both are gonna be good, but I bet that neither one runs below a 4.6. James is certainly a better pro prospect though, no denying that.

However, this might be all for not, because Connor is a senior and James has said that he is gonna do like AJ Hawk and come back for his senior year. Now while there's prolly still about a 50/50 chance he stays or goes despite his words, comparing James and Connor might be just like when we compared James and Posluszny last season. This time next year we will be comparing James and Sean Lee if JL stays.

Iamcanadian
12-17-2007, 09:36 AM
Laurinaitis is a top 15 guy. Connor isn't a lock to go first round, though he almost certainly will IMO. Both are gonna be good, but I bet that neither one runs below a 4.6. James is certainly a better pro prospect though, no denying that.

However, this might be all for not, because Connor is a senior and James has said that he is gonna do like AJ Hawk and come back for his senior year. Now while there's prolly still about a 50/50 chance he stays or goes despite his words, comparing James and Connor might be just like when we compared James and Posluszny last season. This time next year we will be comparing James and Sean Lee if JL stays.

I agree that neither will time below 4.60.

VoteLynnSwan
12-17-2007, 12:33 PM
I agree that neither will time below 4.60.

well neither of those guys would run at the combine, so i'd be willing to bet you'd be wrong... they'll probably both run in the 4.5 range at their pro days, so technically they will have timed below 4.6

underscore
12-17-2007, 05:08 PM
Laurinaitis is a top 10 prospect IMO, Connor isn't. Connor is likely going in the 12-20 range, more likely around #15.
Get serious people, comparing stats of college LB's is rather silly since each college defense can ask different things from its LB's. Stats aren't going to tell you much about who is the better pro prospect. You can compare stats of DE's if both play in a 4-3 system but LB's are almost impossible to compare.

I don't know of many systems that ask a LB to not make many solo tackles or defend many passes.

Bengals1690
12-17-2007, 05:22 PM
I don't know of many systems that ask a LB to not make many solo tackles or defend many passes.

Why Dan Conner has more Solo Tackles than James Laurinitus by: Bengals1690

James Laurinitus' defense doesn't suck,
and they are only on the field for 3 plays at a time.

the end

diabsoule
12-17-2007, 05:45 PM

the end

Very informative and unbiased.

Sniper
12-17-2007, 05:49 PM

the end

You're an OSU fan and you can't even spell his name right? That's sad.

James L-A-U-R-I-N-A-I-T-I-S, and also...

Dan C-O-N-N-O-R

Bengals1690
12-17-2007, 06:19 PM
You're an OSU fan and you can't even spell his name right? That's sad.

James L-A-U-R-I-N-A-I-T-I-S, and also...

Dan C-O-N-N-O-R

im sorry? Its not like its the easiest name to spell.

and connor is misspelled on the thread title, too. It makes an -er sound, its an easy mistake.

Bengals1690
12-17-2007, 06:40 PM

Lets see, information:

Ohio State gives up 225 yards per game, Penn State gives up 305.
Ohio State has given up 15 touchdowns, Penn state has given up 25.
Ohio State's defense has been on the field only 756 times, penn state has been on 817.

for some reason i cant find any tackling stats though, my computer is running slow as hell.

Mr. Stiller
12-17-2007, 06:49 PM
Lets see, information:

Ohio State gives up 225 yards per game, Penn State gives up 305.
Ohio State has given up 15 touchdowns, Penn state has given up 25.
Ohio State's defense has been on the field only 756 times, penn state has been on 817.

for some reason i cant find any tackling stats though, my computer is running slow as hell.

Wow, thats a reason to judge an individual prospect.

Laurinaitis also has 2 good Linebackers beside him.. a Hell of a defensive line and a very very good secondary.

PSU doesn't have the horses that OSU has in the secondary and especially on the defensive line.

Not to mention the defense doesn't play as much because OSU has about 10x the offense that PSU has as well.

But by your logic Kenny Phillips is a horrible safety as well.

Bengals1690
12-17-2007, 06:59 PM
Wow, thats a reason to judge an individual prospect.

Laurinaitis also has 2 good Linebackers beside him.. a Hell of a defensive line and a very very good secondary.

PSU doesn't have the horses that OSU has in the secondary and especially on the defensive line.

Not to mention the defense doesn't play as much because OSU has about 10x the offense that PSU has as well.

But by your logic Kenny Phillips is a horrible safety as well.

You misunderstand me. I was supporting my earlier statement that the Ohio State defense is on the field less, which leads to less chances for James to make plays. And with all those superstars on defense that you pointed out, its even more impressive that there stats are comparable.

Mr. Stiller
12-17-2007, 07:05 PM
You misunderstand me. I was supporting my earlier statement that the Ohio State defense is on the field more, which leads to less chances for James to make plays. And with all those superstars on defense that you pointed out, its even more impressive that there stats are comparable.

They really weren't..

I think Laurinaitis is a cover 2 Sam or Mike.

I think Connor is a fit for any scheme at ILB.

oldLibid21
12-17-2007, 07:08 PM
How do you guys think James Laurinaitis will play in a 3-4? As a Falcons fan, we are looking for a new head coach, and I think we will sign Mike Singletary from the 49ers, and he would want to do things his way by doing the following:

1) Change the scheme to a 3-4
2) Find a leading linebacker who can carry this defense
3) Coach that player quickly into his prime - see Patrick Willis.

keylime_5
12-17-2007, 07:40 PM

Actually he's dead on, JL only has 100 tackles b/c his defense leads the big ten in 3 and outs and is way up there in the national rankings at that stat too. Plus the OSU defense is a ballhawking defense in which very few solo tackles are had so you get a lot of assisted tackles per player......and teams rarely ever run up the middle on us except a couple times in the 1st quarter until they find it is usesless and run outside and throw the ball. It doesn't help JL's stats either that amongst our first 8 opponents the only one who didn't give up on the running game before the end of the 1st half was Penn State. Stats are overrated, why else do you think That MLB for Northwestern had so many tackles in 2005 compared to AJ Hawk's mere 110 or 120? (A: NW's defense is on the field every darn play of the game)

Bengals1690
12-17-2007, 08:02 PM
They really weren't..

I think Laurinaitis is a cover 2 Sam or Mike.

I think Connor is a fit for any scheme at ILB.

what do you mean they werent.
i just gave you stats to prove it.

i meant less, not more..