PDA

View Full Version : Vernon Gholston stock

jetsfan0099
12-14-2007, 03:16 PM
Hey guys, do you think Vernon Gholston could rise up and be a top 5 pick for a team like the Jets?? Or is he not going to be worth taking there?? The guy is going to be a animal at the combine, hes strong as hell, big, fast, and he had 13 sacks this year. Since there isnt many players to take that are pass rushers, do you think hes a player that would be worth taking top 5?

Olympia Martin
12-14-2007, 03:50 PM
I think he is a stud. He has the motor, technique, speed, power basically everything you look for in a DE. I think hes definitely top 10 at this point if he declares. We should expect a great combine from him so I would agree that he could end up around the 5th pick.

Scott Wright
12-14-2007, 04:17 PM
He is definitely moving up and I love the guy. He will be in the Top 10 of my new mock. Reminds me a lot of Shawne Merriman coming out.

Jakey
12-14-2007, 04:19 PM
^ I couldnt agree more, the dude is a physical specimen

Bengals1690
12-14-2007, 04:22 PM
http://menofthescarletandgray.com/wp-content/uploads/gholston.jpg

dude is a straight beast.

Sniper
12-14-2007, 04:22 PM
Gholston is likely going to break the record for most threads started after one player on NFLDC....But anyways, like Scott said, I see him as kind of a Shawne Merriman type of player.

D-Unit
12-14-2007, 04:25 PM
I think he's a lock for the Jets no matter where they pick.

I wonder if he'll get caught linked to steroids.

derza222
12-14-2007, 04:28 PM
I think he's a lock for the Jets no matter where they pick.

I wonder if he'll get caught linked to steroids.

I agree, though I've heard we like Chris Long as an OLB so we'll see what happens there. Don't think we're going to be high enough to get Long, but who knows. I just hope Gholston doesn't go before we pick.

PossumBoy9
12-14-2007, 04:39 PM
Gholston is likely going to break the record for most threads started after one player on NFLDC....But anyways, like Scott said, I see him as kind of a Shawne Merriman type of player.

I'll bet another Joe Flacco thread starts tonight.

jetsfan0099
12-14-2007, 05:37 PM
I read that Gholston has been in to body building since he was a kid, so nowonder he is so big and ripped.

FinNasty
12-14-2007, 05:59 PM
Do you guys think his stock could rise high enough to take #1 overall?

D-Unit
12-14-2007, 06:16 PM
Do you guys think his stock could rise high enough to take #1 overall?
Not a chance.

Young Legend
12-14-2007, 10:51 PM
he is a STUD.i want him in a Raider Jersey..

PACKmanN
12-14-2007, 11:48 PM
http://menofthescarletandgray.com/wp-content/uploads/gholston.jpg

dude is a straight beast.

im speechless..., how the hell is his arms that HUGE!

CrackerJack465
12-15-2007, 12:54 AM
I go to all the buckeye games and he warms up next to where I sit in the stadium (Block O forever), trust me, hes bigger looking in real life. Hes honestly 90% muscle. Its insane how lean he looks.

theogt
12-15-2007, 01:13 AM
im speechless..., how the hell is his arms that HUGE!Steroids, most likely.

OregonDucks
12-15-2007, 01:16 AM
Dudes freaking huge!

TACKLE
12-15-2007, 01:28 AM
No way he gets out of the Top 10. With the Rams, Jets, Pats, Raiders, and Bengals all with top picks.

brat316
12-15-2007, 01:32 AM
3-4 olb look at his arms top 10 fo sho

toonsterwu
12-15-2007, 01:59 AM
I think Gholston's a solid top 10 option, and very likely for top 5.

It wouldn't stun me if he went first overall, although I don't expect it. Now, if he puts up better numbers than folks are expecting, I wouldn't rule anything out considering the weakness at the top in this draft.

T.Smith
12-15-2007, 12:47 PM
Steroids, most likely.

I hear you have *** sex infront of nuns while lighting up a doobie.
See how easy making baseless claims are?

PACKmanN
12-15-2007, 12:51 PM
http://media.scout.com/media/image/45/457958.jpg

wow.

BamaFalcon59
12-15-2007, 01:09 PM
Jets. Maybe enough to pass on McFadden, because I think a new NT and pass rushing OLB would make that defense exceptional.

CrackerJack465
12-18-2007, 01:31 AM
Just saying, but dont be surprised if he stays for another year.

Just saying..

jetsfan0099
12-18-2007, 05:45 AM
Just saying, but dont be surprised if he stays for another year.

Just saying..

I thought he was leaning towards draft. James Laurnistais is the guy who is going to stay at college I think.

gdamac
12-18-2007, 07:09 AM
Chris Long or Vernon Gholston, a team could do worse than either. I hope one of them falls to the Raiders, he won't have to fall far.

CrackerJack465
12-19-2007, 02:48 PM
James is staying, everyone in columbus knows that and he knows it.

First junior captain, and has a chance to come back next year and compete for another national champ. bid.

Hes going no where, Im sure of it.

Gholston is like 50/50.

Im just saying dont be surprised if they both stay

I expect Jenkins to be as good as gone and maybe Robiskie.

foozball
12-19-2007, 03:09 PM
how does Gholston compare to Mario Williams as a 4-3 DE?

Turtlepower
12-19-2007, 03:11 PM

To compare Mario Williams to Vernon Gholston is like comparing a fine Italian dinner to McDonald's.

12-19-2007, 03:22 PM

Shawne Merriman would be more appropriate but even that would be a bit of a stretch.

keylime_5
12-19-2007, 03:54 PM
I've heard that if we don't beat LSU Malcolm Jenkins might stay. I think Gholston is more gone than Jenkins, but I think both go. Robiskie isn't going anywhere, but Alex Boone is 50/50 on leaving. Vernon is probably a top 10 pick in a year that is not nearly as top heavy as the past 2.

BeerBaron
12-19-2007, 04:53 PM

First junior captain, and has a chance to come back next year and compete for another national champ. bid.

Hes going no where, Im sure of it.

Gholston is like 50/50.

Im just saying dont be surprised if they both stay

I expect Jenkins to be as good as gone and maybe Robiskie.

if he wins one this year hed be STUUUPID to stay. with a title under his belt and the guranteed millions that come with being a top 5-10 pick, its nothing but a terrible terrible risk to the rest of his playing career to stay

Babylon
12-19-2007, 06:05 PM
Respect all the opinions of the Buckeye faithful but dont buy any of this talk about whether they beat LSU or not, they're going to OSU to get to the pros, if and when they're project to go where they want to go in the draft they're coming out.

Don Killuminati
12-20-2007, 04:55 AM
He is definitely moving up and I love the guy. He will be in the Top 10 of my new mock. Reminds me a lot of Shawne Merriman coming out.

A ringing endorsement if ever I heard one.

CrackerJack465
12-20-2007, 07:32 PM
Robiskie is much more likely to leave then you think.
You may not know this, but Robiskie has a really bad knee, and is extremely worried about staying in college.

James is going no where.

Jenkins is going
Gholston is prob gone, but not sure yet. Hes talked about staying

Raider_fan_Canada
12-20-2007, 10:28 PM
I have a question...

Is he a complete football player? He looks like a guy that can rush the passer well, but the Raiders need to stop the run more consistently. If my team picks a DL he needs to be good against the run first.

We need more help inside then outside IMO, but Gerrard Warren has shown good things and I expect Tommy Kelly back and moved inside next year. Sapp will probably retire.

But yeah.... what a freaking beast look he has! Arms like these are not comon, I just hope its all legit. If he has been body building forever I can understand though.

I tend to believe the Jets will take McFadden and try to mimic the Vikings next year. With the AD factor he will be very hard to pass on so Run DMC owes him alot IMO.

What if they beat LSU? It will also depend on were their stocks are at the decision point.

genom
12-20-2007, 11:20 PM
I have a question...

Is he a complete football player? He looks like a guy that can rush the passer well, but the Raiders need to stop the run more consistently. If my team picks a DL he needs to be good against the run first.

We need more help inside then outside IMO, but Gerrard Warren has shown good things and I expect Tommy Kelly back and moved inside next year. Sapp will probably retire.

But yeah.... what a freaking beast look he has! Arms like these are not comon, I just hope its all legit. If he has been body building forever I can understand though.

I tend to believe the Jets will take McFadden and try to mimic the Vikings next year. With the AD factor he will be very hard to pass on so Run DMC owes him alot IMO.

What if they beat LSU? It will also depend on were their stocks are at the decision point.

The Jets aren't mimicking anything the Vikings do. Comparing our O-line with theirs is not a very good comparison. The jets have one of the bottom 5 lines in the league, while the Vikings have one of the top 5. I think the Jets will end up taking gholston. In terms of his ability to stop the run, i think he can. He doesn't sell out to get up field to rush the passer, but does well to stay in his gap against the run. He's really tall and strong so he can shed blocks rather easily.

Raider_fan_Canada
12-21-2007, 01:01 PM
The Jets aren't mimicking anything the Vikings do. Comparing our O-line with theirs is not a very good comparison. The jets have one of the bottom 5 lines in the league, while the Vikings have one of the top 5. I think the Jets will end up taking gholston. In terms of his ability to stop the run, i think he can. He doesn't sell out to get up field to rush the passer, but does well to stay in his gap against the run. He's really tall and strong so he can shed blocks rather easily.

So the two first rounders on that line didnt pan out? I thought Mangold was very good and Ferguson ok....

Well if the Jets dont take McFadden thats great, the chances of him being a Raider are then better!

CrackerJack465
12-21-2007, 01:18 PM
Even if we beat LSU, James stays. He loves college way too much.

Gholston kinda struggles with the run at times... Dont know where this dude 2 posts up got his info =P

He has a tendency to vanish in some games too. Hes really streaky. 3.5 of those sacks came against just michigan. I think 2 came against kent state and like 3 against michigan state. This is just memory though, I could be completely wrong with what games he had those big sack games.

gsorace
12-21-2007, 09:06 PM
So the two first rounders on that line didnt pan out? I thought Mangold was very good and Ferguson ok....

Mangold is awesome, and Ferguson is good and still getting better.

The rest of the line is made up of career backups.

Anyway, I would love to see Gholston with the Jets.

genom
12-21-2007, 10:31 PM

Gholston kinda struggles with the run at times... Dont know where this dude 2 posts up got his info =P

From actually watching the guy play. I find it helpful to get a good read on a player to actually watch him. The knock that he is bad against the run comes from nowhere in my opinion, unless this was a concern his sophomore year when i didn't see him play.

Mangold and Ferguson have both lived up to their billing. Ferguson is adequate run blocking, but that was to be expected. He really excels in pass protection. Mangold is a stud and has the makings of a pro bowler. As said earlier, the rest of our O-line is absolutely pathetic. Every position outside of Brick and Nick need to be upgraded.

Sniper
12-22-2007, 06:32 AM
From actually watching the guy play. I find it helpful to get a good read on a player to actually watch him. The knock that he is bad against the run comes from nowhere in my opinion, unless this was a concern his sophomore year when i didn't see him play.

Him being touted as "bad" against the run is about as legit as people saying Jake Long can't pass block for ****. Don't worry about it man. People will try to find flaws on everyone. Is he a great run defender? No. Is he as good a run defender as he is a pass rusher? Definitely not, but that's only because he's an elite pass rusher.

Raider_fan_Canada
12-22-2007, 04:51 PM
Ok thanks guys about the Jets O Line I understand it better now. However I still think that Darren McFadden is the player that would give them the biggest upgrade. The impact of a franchise running back is bigger then the one of a great DL or OL, usualy.

So I realy cant believe that the Jets dont think that McFadden is the player that is most likely to help them win more games in the near future.

Splat
12-22-2007, 05:00 PM
As long as it helps the Chiefs get Jake Long I'm all for him going top five I know wish full thinking.:(

derza222
12-22-2007, 05:12 PM
Ok thanks guys about the Jets O Line I understand it better now. However I still think that Darren McFadden is the player that would give them the biggest upgrade. The impact of a franchise running back is bigger then the one of a great DL or OL, usualy.

So I realy cant believe that the Jets dont think that McFadden is the player that is most likely to help them win more games in the near future.

A running back often looks as good as his offensive line can allow him to look. Obviously McFadden will look better than our current backs, but addressing the offensive line not only will make our current backs look better but it will give Clemens more time to throw so he won't be under constant pressure. I think improving the line has a twofold benefit and it's just a better way to go. Build through the trenches, then get some toys later.

keylime_5
12-22-2007, 05:13 PM

He has a tendency to vanish in some games too. Hes really streaky. 3.5 of those sacks came against just michigan. I think 2 came against kent state and like 3 against michigan state. This is just memory though, I could be completely wrong with what games he had those big sack games.

Gholston is probably the best run defending defensive end we've had at Ohio State since Darrion Scott and Kenny Peterson were here, but neither of those guys got 14 sack seasons. Vernon is a freak, he plays the run well technically, and always pushes his way towards the middle of the line on middle runs. He occasionally overpursues allowing big runs, but he hardly "struggles" against the run ever. He would be an ideal strongside DE in the NFL ala Julius Peppers or Mike Strahan, but could also play the rightside since he's such a beastly blindside rusher. Stock=soaring.
Vernon had 3.5 at Michigan, 3 at Wisconsin, and the rest were mostly in the KSU and MSU games with a few others spread out in other games. Illinois barely passed and when they did it was that stupid play action option deal where Vernon was responsible for the QB running outside at times, so that's why VG had a bad game vs the Illini.

SenorGato
12-22-2007, 05:57 PM

Disgaree completely.

You may hear that RBs name more on ESPN, but most RBs (if not all) will see a big dropoff in production if the O-line sucks.

And DL...well the DL is the foundation of the whole defense and improves everyone around them if it's a good group.

keylime_5
12-22-2007, 10:04 PM
RBs are a dime a dozen. If you have a dominating O-Line or D-LIne then you have a good team usually. Teams should ALWAYS build from the lines out.

genom
12-22-2007, 10:06 PM
If the Jets nab both Stacy Andrews and Alan Faneca in free agency (very doubtful) I would have no problem taking Mcfadden. Otherwise, the pick really wouldn't help.

Thread Killer
12-22-2007, 10:31 PM
1) Miami Dolphins - Chis Long, DE, Virginia
2) St. Louis Rams - Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State
3) New York Jets - Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas

That's your top 3 if the draft order stays the same.

thetedginnshow
12-22-2007, 10:41 PM
I'd have a good laugh if the Rams didn't take an O-lineman.

mqtirishfan
12-22-2007, 11:00 PM
1) Miami Dolphins - Chis Long, DE, Virginia
2) St. Louis Rams - Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State
3) New York Jets - Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas

That's your top 3 if the draft order stays the same.

That would suck as a foootball fan. I think Gholston would be waaaaaaay better as a 3-4 OLB.

Raider_fan_Canada
12-23-2007, 09:54 AM
Ok this guys stock is on the rise....

I can see him having a big game in the BCS NC and workout very well at the combine. Not sure he will be available for the Raiders if we pick 6-9.

Splat
12-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Disgaree completely.

You may hear that RBs name more on ESPN, but most RBs (if not all) will see a big dropoff in production if the O-line sucks.

I would take Wille Roaf in his prime over Larry Johnson in his prime every day of the week I think most would agree it all starts with the big uglys on both sides of the ball.:)

Thread Killer
12-23-2007, 04:08 PM
That would suck as a foootball fan. I think Gholston would be waaaaaaay better as a 3-4 OLB.

Rams run both 4-3 and 3-4 under Haslett.

I'd have a good laugh if the Rams didn't take an O-lineman.

I wouldn't as there is more than one round, there isn't an Olineman worthy of such a high selection, and the Rams have a bunch of injured starters coming back. Their problem wasn't that they didn't have the players on the roster, it's just that by some fluke occurence 3 of their starters and their top backup got injured very early this season.

Whitebull
12-26-2007, 09:53 AM
He won't last past wherever the Lions pick (12-16ish)

As a fan I'm hoping and praying HARD he makes it to us.

Iamcanadian
12-26-2007, 02:47 PM
I have a much different persective on the draft.

Miami - either Ryan or Gholston. There is no way Parcells will pay a 3-4 DE 60 million dollars to take on blockers and make the occassional pass rush. A DE in a 3-4 defense isn't nearly as important as a pass rushing OLB. Besides by the time the post season workouts are over, Gholston will have passed Chris Long and be right there with Dorsey as the #1 prospect.

Rams - Dorsey. He is simply a far better prospect than either of the Longs and will be a real impact player in the NFL.

Jets - McFadden or Gholston if he lasts this long. NYC is the hype center of the world and McFadden offers the Jets a player who will put them on the front pages of the NY press. Again the Jets are a 3-4 team and will grab Gholston if they wish to pass on McFadden.

Atlanta - Ryan. They need a QB who will make the fans forget about Vick.

Baltimore - Brohm - they simply need a QB.

KC - Jake Long OT. The OL needs an upgrade.

Oak. - Ellis DT. This guy could turnout to be better than Dorsey.

This is how I see the draft playing out. A lot is going to depend on which QB's seizes the post season and how high they rank on draft day. If neither Ryan or Brohm or any other QB reach a top 10 ranking then all bets are off and KC and Oakland probably get screwed as the QB's fall.

12-26-2007, 02:51 PM

Miami - either Ryan or Gholston. There is no way Parcells will pay a 3-4 DE 60 million dollars to take on blockers and make the occassional pass rush. A DE in a 3-4 defense isn't nearly as important as a pass rushing OLB. Besides by the time the post season workouts are over, Gholston will have passed Chris Long and be right there with Dorsey as the #1 prospect.

Rams - Dorsey. He is simply a far better prospect than either of the Longs and will be a real impact player in the NFL.

Jets - McFadden or Gholston if he lasts this long. NYC is the hype center of the world and McFadden offers the Jets a player who will put them on the front pages of the NY press. Again the Jets are a 3-4 team and will grab Gholston if they wish to pass on McFadden.

This is how I see the draft playing out. A lot is going to depend on which QB's seizes the post season and how high they rank on draft day. If neither Ryan or Brohm or any other QB reach a top 10 ranking then all bets are off and KC and Oakland probably get screwed as the QB's fall.

Jake Long at #1 is a possibility and would certainly make more sense than Ryan or Gholston in terms of value.

Iamcanadian
12-26-2007, 03:01 PM
Jake Long at #1 is a possibility and would certainly make more sense than Ryan or Gholston in terms of value.

Sorry but but you have it wrong. Jake Long while rated the top OT in the draft, isn't considered to be an elite LT prospect. He will no doubt be a solid pro and probably could be an ALL Pro RT but as a LT, he will never be elite.
Dorsey and Golston will carry elite status as prospects and will have a much higher ceiling reaching impact status, something the 1st 3 picks in the draft must have. Parcells is never going to take a solid pro over an elite pro to build his franchise around. In terms of value, Gholston is perfect for a 3-4 team and will be an elite pro for Miami.

Thread Killer
12-26-2007, 06:14 PM

Parcells says he's hiring the GM and HC. Not coaching. My guess is that he's not going ot limit himself to only coaches willing to run a 3-4 defense. Besides, 3-4 or no, the #1 pick has to be a safe selection. BTW, while he wasn't a #1 choice, the Patriots didn't seem to have any problem drafting Richard Seymour with the 6th selection.

The Rams are high on rookies Adam Carriker and Cliffton Ryan as their DTs and have two high cap $$ DEs on the wrong side of 30 as starters. Two rookies at DT? Two older players with high cap $$$ at DE? No pass rush this year? Snowballs chances in hell the Rams pass on Long or Gholston for Dorsey.

In the end, I question if there will be a QB selected in the top ten picks after all of the workouts. IMO, no kid that threw 18 INTs his senior season (Ryan) that doesn't have a gun of an arm and great mobility will see any part of the top 10. Watch.

george_allen
12-26-2007, 07:28 PM
Gholston is probably the best run defending defensive end we've had at Ohio State since Darrion Scott and Kenny Peterson were here, but neither of those guys got 14 sack seasons. Vernon is a freak, he plays the run well technically, and always pushes his way towards the middle of the line on middle runs. He occasionally overpursues allowing big runs, but he hardly "struggles" against the run ever. He would be an ideal strongside DE in the NFL ala Julius Peppers or Mike Strahan, but could also play the rightside since he's such a beastly blindside rusher. Stock=soaring.
Vernon had 3.5 at Michigan, 3 at Wisconsin, and the rest were mostly in the KSU and MSU games with a few others spread out in other games. Illinois barely passed and when they did it was that stupid play action option deal where Vernon was responsible for the QB running outside at times, so that's why VG had a bad game vs the Illini.

appearantly, he's also a threat as a playmaker back in pass coverage as well :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lzbj1xdBSw&NR=1

what's the take on gholston from a character perspective? any issues around campus or earlier? how is he as a teammate - is he a leader? does his attitude raise the level of play from his teammates? is he vocal? do his teammates see him as, and treat him as a cut above the pack?