PDA

View Full Version : USC's tailback rotation system

TouchdownUSC
12-14-2007, 05:08 PM
Pete really needs to abandon his 5 tailback rotation system and name a starter. I know new players might come next year but based on what you have seen who do you think would be the best canidate for USC's starting tailback job next year and why?

In my opinion, personally i think Carroll should do either of the following:

1. Give Stafon Johnson the job.
or
2. try to recreate the power/speed mix with Allen Bradford and Joe McKnight.

I think Allen Bradford is really talented but has somewhat dissapeared on the depth chart except when we try to go for a receiving touchdown.

soybean
12-14-2007, 05:18 PM
it should be a two back system like reggie and lendale. I really think that with enough carries some of these guys can have heisman-esque seasons.

Michigan
12-14-2007, 05:22 PM
that's the problem. if you pick any one of them, they'll be a monster. however, each one offers so much that it becomes impossible to say one is a better choice than the other. stafon was productive this year and seems like the perfect combination of size and speed, so I'd take him. then again, mckinght is a heisman waiting to happen, so why not give him the ball... however, marc tyler was the #1 overall recruit of 2007, and we haven't seen what he can do with the ball yet... BUT, bradford is possibly bigger AND faster than tyler and johnson, so maybe he should get the rock... however, now we're leaving out Gable, who looked like a future all american as a freshman...

i would take "all of the above", but sadly it's been proven that it doesn't work as well as it should.

12-14-2007, 05:24 PM
it should be a two back system like reggie and lendale. I really think that with enough carries some of these guys can have heisman-esque seasons.

joe mcknight and marc tyler :D

soybean
12-14-2007, 05:30 PM
i, as well as other SC fans. i think allen bradford is going to transfer. He's so talented but he's not being used.

etk
12-14-2007, 05:42 PM
I think the better question is which one will transfer?

TouchdownUSC
12-14-2007, 06:02 PM
i, as well as other SC fans. i think allen bradford is going to transfer. He's so talented but he's not being used.

why isnt pete playing bradford? he has shown me that he is an excellent receiver and he runs with a lot of power and is a great blocker. plus he big, fast and strong. this guy should be on the field regardless if its at running back. i heard he played safety in high school, maybe pete should consider letting him play some defense.

TouchdownUSC
12-14-2007, 06:03 PM
how impressed have you guys been with mcknight and how good do you really predict he will be?

YAYareaRB
12-14-2007, 06:11 PM
Stanley Havili!

slightlyaraiderfan
12-14-2007, 06:28 PM
It'll be a duo of Stafon and Gable with the speed of McKnight thrown in.

soybean
12-14-2007, 07:08 PM
bradford was a 5 star linebacker recruit but his dad thought that he'd have a better chance at the pros playing rb because of his lack of size. so pete agreed and switched him to a rb.

Geo
12-14-2007, 07:18 PM
6 runningbacks? Cripes, that's ridiculous. How do some of the younger guys not decide to go somewhere else where they have a much better chance of playing fully and working on their craft, and get as good of an education?

TouchdownUSC
12-14-2007, 08:02 PM
bradford was a 5 star linebacker recruit but his dad thought that he'd have a better chance at the pros playing rb because of his lack of size. so pete agreed and switched him to a rb.

USC's corners are the least impressive part of the defense. I wonder if Bradford could play corner.

TouchdownUSC
12-14-2007, 08:03 PM
6 runningbacks? Cripes, that's ridiculous. How do some of the younger guys not decide to go somewhere else where they have a much better chance of playing fully and working on their craft, and get as good of an education?

I don't know but i can't fault them for choosing USC!

12-14-2007, 08:03 PM

i dont know too many elite HS players especially in cali that turn down offers from USC whether it is the right decision or not. desean jackson did and it turned out pretty good for him.

yourfavestoner
12-14-2007, 09:31 PM
Allen Bradford FTW. He's the most talented of all of them.

And if not, at least let him play linebacker. Kid needs to be on the field as much as possible.

yourfavestoner
12-14-2007, 09:33 PM
i dont know too many elite HS players especially in cali that turn down offers from USC whether it is the right decision or not. desean jackson did and it turned out pretty good for him.

Exactly. Who wouldn't want to go to school for free in LA? Football would definitely be number three or four on the priority list.

Forenci
12-14-2007, 09:54 PM
Eh, it's difficult to say at this point. I'm surprised a few of these guys haven't transfered all ready.

Considering it's likely Sanchez that will be playing QB for the Trojans next year, it's good they have a running attack - but they need to make up their mind on who will run the ball primarily. Personally, I think Joe McKnight brings the explosiveness and game breaking ability that Reggie Bush once gave to USC.

The thing about Stafon Johnson is supposedly he isn't very competitive in practice which is one of the things that makes USC so good, and you'll need to be at the RB position with so many good backs.

etk
12-14-2007, 10:06 PM
The thing about Stafon Johnson is supposedly he isn't very competitive in practice which is one of the things that makes USC so good, and you'll need to be at the RB position with so many good backs.

I read that McKnight struggles the most in practice. Fumbles, drops, missed blocks, etc. I'm not sure if that's what you meant but I just thought I'd point that out.

Forenci
12-14-2007, 10:18 PM
Well, I was just point out that Johnson wasn't as competitive as many of the other players in practice - and the competition at every position is one key to USC's success over the years.

soybean
12-15-2007, 12:05 AM
Well, I was just point out that Johnson wasn't as competitive as many of the other players in practice - and the competition at every position is one key to USC's success over the years.

yeah, that's why he didn't play last year. i think it's complete come around for him though.

Sniper
12-15-2007, 08:39 AM
I read that McKnight struggles the most in practice. Fumbles, drops, missed blocks, etc. I'm not sure if that's what you meant but I just thought I'd point that out.

But man, he's so fast. He's almost SEC fast!

Johnson and McKnight would be my choice, but I'm also a big Marc Tyler fan.

etk
12-15-2007, 09:38 AM
But man, he's so fast. He's almost SEC fast!

Johnson and McKnight would be my choice, but I'm also a big Marc Tyler fan.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here....no player in the country can keep up with the speed of the SEC. It's a whole different brand of football. Take a look at the blazing speed of the LSU tigers:

Jacob Hester - fastest RB in the nation
Craig Steltz - fastest S in the nation

Tampa 2 4 life
12-15-2007, 09:40 AM
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here....no player in the country can keep up with the speed of the SEC. It's a whole different brand of football. Take a look at the blazing speed of the LSU tigers:

Don't forget the blazer known as Matt Flynn!

Brent
12-15-2007, 09:41 AM
Emmanuel Moody... haha, what a tool.

etk
12-15-2007, 09:42 AM
Don't forget the blazer known as Matt Flynn!

Matt Flynn is actually pretty fast for a QB. Now you ruined it...

Michigan
12-15-2007, 10:50 AM
And their blazing kicker Colt David... o wait...

Sniper
12-15-2007, 10:50 AM

"You must spread reputation around before giving it to etk again"

Regardless, you got a big LOL out of me :) You think Glenn Dorsey will crack the 4.2s at the combine?

etk
12-15-2007, 12:57 PM
"You must spread reputation around before giving it to etk again"

Regardless, you got a big LOL out of me :) You think Glenn Dorsey will crack the 4.2s at the combine?

LSU has one of the slower DLines in the nation. Their size will help them against OSU to stop Chris Wells, but Gholston/Crable would burn any LSU defensive lineman in a footrace. I don't want to give LSU the brunt of stupid SEC homers who think their teams are god's gift to football, but look at their defense. Their whole DLine is big and slow, while Steltz, Zenon & Jackson are all below-average speed for their positions. Highsmith has average speed for a BCS linebacker. A team has Trindon Holliday and suddenly they've reinvented football with their blazing team speed.

Unbiased
12-15-2007, 01:05 PM
In terms of how they were used in 2004:

Stafon Johnson = Herschel Dennis
Joe McKnight = Reggie Bush
Allen Bradford = LenDale White

TACKLE
12-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Personally I like the Stafon Johnson + Joe McKnight combo. Whenever I watch Johnson I'm really impressed and McKinght gives you that homerun threat everybody is looking for.

Zyro_1014
12-15-2007, 06:41 PM
i honestly think that they HAVE to get the ball in Tylers hands some next year. watching that guys film from high school the guy was a freak! i mean seriously. him and mcknight will be tough to stop for a couple of more years.

Sniper
12-15-2007, 06:53 PM
McKnight looks like he's gliding out there when he's running...So smooth. Really reminds me of Reggie in his USC days

Babylon
12-15-2007, 07:01 PM
With scholarship limits their theory must be to bring in great highschool RBs and then move them to other positions, thing is i havent seen much of that in recent years. Actually surprised that highschoolers dont get better advice and go elsewheres. I know its SC but you're better off playing than getting limited PT.

TouchdownUSC
12-16-2007, 07:47 PM
Well I feel Pete might be trying to have his cake and eat it too when it comes to these tailbacks. I know they are special and can do things that are great but you got to choose or you are just going to have everybody being dissatisfied. I would love to see him recreate thunder and lightning with Bradford and McKnight and then sprinkle Stafon in to the mix every once in awhile. I know thats rough because then where will Marc Tyler and CJ Gable fit in but the fact is if Pete would choose 1-2 guys to start those 2 guys would be so much better by getting touches all the time rather than having 4 carries a game if they are lucky. In some ways I feel this is holding the team back a little.