PDA

View Full Version : Ranking the top 5 LT's

KCStud
12-14-2007, 09:14 PM
Ok so who do you guys think will be the best LEFT TACKLES in order? As a Chiefs fan, my team is done for the year and LT is by far the biggest need.

Keep in mind that underclassmen are in the mix too

This is my opinion

1.Jake Long Michigan
2.Ryan Clady Boise State
3.Sam Baker USC
4.Michael Oher Ole Miss
5.Phil Loadholt OU

What do you guys think?

Bills2083
12-14-2007, 09:24 PM
This will probably be moved to the 2008 NFL Draft Forum...

weasel
12-14-2007, 11:05 PM
First tier
Jake Long LT ++ run blocker, can handle the bull rush, some trouble with speed rush but he is too big a guy to run around.
Jeff Otah LT ++ run blocker, raw but potentially the best tackle in the draft
Sam Baker LT ++ pass blocking OT a tactician tested and true, needs to add strength
Ryan Clady LT ++ pass blocker, size to excel in the run game and long arms
Michael Oher LT ++ run blocker, might switch to guard in the pros

Second tier
Alex Boone LT junior probably will stay in school with a loaded class coming out this year.
Chris Williams LT A surprisingly versatile lineman with maybe the best feet in the draft
Tony Hills LT a quality LT whose injury makes him hard to place. Broken leg may cause him to slip.

Right tackle
Kirk Barton You want maulers, we got 'em
Gosder Cherilous A very good story and a superb RT
Barry Richardson Questions about weight and conditioning but a real load. Hurt his draft stock by switching to LT and failing miserably
Phil Loadholt Another massive tackle capable of making the leap, some see him at LT but I see him at RT

thebow305
12-14-2007, 11:36 PM
I think Oher is a much better guard prospect so I rank the top 5 like this...

1. Jake Long (safe pick)
2. Phil Loadholt (Potential is through the roof)
3. Sam Baker (When healthy, challenges Long for top spot)
4. Ryan Clady (size, mobility, and strength combo probably the best of all 5)
5. Jeff Otah (the enigma, not sold on him, but you can't ignore his size and is the real sleeper of them all)

sportsnerd23
12-15-2007, 09:51 AM
I'd put baker at the #2 spot

princefielder28
12-15-2007, 10:19 AM
You guys are overrating Sam Baker; he's such a liability in the run game, and if he's at LT against top tier defensive ends then he may get dominated there too.......he's got bust written all over him

jetsfan0099
12-15-2007, 10:24 AM
Jake Long will probaly be gone by the time your Chiefs pick. But man if he fell to your team, that would be a huge pickup by you guys. You have like no young stud talent on your o-line.

Geo
12-15-2007, 10:34 AM
I don't think I've posted my rankings yet, here goes:

1- Jake Long, Michigan
2- Jeff Otah, Pittsburgh
3- Chris Williams, Vanderbilt (don't overlook this guy, he's a great prospect too imo)
4- Ryan Clady, Boise State (tad overrated for a while, I thought)
5- Michael Oher, Mississippi

Jonny
12-15-2007, 10:44 AM
1. Ryan Clady
2. Sam Baker
3. Chris Williams
4. Tony Hills
5. Carl Nicks

Don't see the other players mentioned as LTs.

Michigan
12-15-2007, 10:48 AM
1. Ryan Clady
2. Sam Baker
3. Chris Williams
4. Tony Hills
5. Carl Nicks

Don't see the other players mentioned as LTs.

Jake Long would certainly be more dominant at RT, but he's also the best LT in this class.

foozball
12-15-2007, 10:58 AM
why is michael oher seen as a guard? everyone says they see him as a guard but nobody gives a reason why.

rainbeaukid2
12-15-2007, 11:20 AM
where do players from last years draft rank with these guys, people such as joe thomas, tony ugoh, and joe staley?

Iamcanadian
12-15-2007, 11:36 AM
First tier
Jake Long LT ++ run blocker, can handle the bull rush, some trouble with speed rush but he is too big a guy to run around.
Jeff Otah LT ++ run blocker, raw but potentially the best tackle in the draft
Sam Baker LT ++ pass blocking OT a tactician tested and true, needs to add strength
Ryan Clady LT ++ pass blocker, size to excel in the run game and long arms
Michael Oher LT ++ run blocker, might switch to guard in the pros

Second tier
Alex Boone LT junior probably will stay in school with a loaded class coming out this year.
Chris Williams LT A surprisingly versatile lineman with maybe the best feet in the draft
Tony Hills LT a quality LT whose injury makes him hard to place. Broken leg may cause him to slip.

Right tackle
Kirk Barton You want maulers, we got 'em
Gosder Cherilous A very good story and a superb RT
Barry Richardson Questions about weight and conditioning but a real load. Hurt his draft stock by switching to LT and failing miserably
Phil Loadholt Another massive tackle capable of making the leap, some see him at LT but I see him at RT

Pretty decent overall analysis. If Boone declares I'm not sure yet about him as a LT but if he has the foot quickness required, he'll take a quantum leap up the charts. Williams may surprise people and go in round 1. This is not the draft where teams will let OT's pass them. I could see a lot of OT's going round 1. I could see Ryan Clady passing Baker in the draft. The school you play for isn't going to mean much come draft day.

Babylon
12-15-2007, 12:53 PM
where do players from last years draft rank with these guys, people such as joe thomas, tony ugoh, and joe staley?

I doubt there is any debate that Joe Thomas would be #1, in fact some have tallked about Jake Long being somewhere between Thomas and Levi Brown. It would probably go;

Thomas
Long
Clady/Levi
then a group of Otah/Staley/Baker

draftguru151
12-15-2007, 01:08 PM
If only Joe was in this draft. :'(

Babylon
12-15-2007, 01:18 PM
If only Joe was in this draft. :'(

That would be quite a group. Interested to see if Alex Boone will jump in, most OSU players tend to leave early and i think he could shoot up the charts and make this years crop that much deeper.

toonsterwu
12-15-2007, 01:28 PM
Top 5 LT? I'd go

1. Ryan Clady
2. Jeff Otah
3. Chris Williams
4. Jake Long
5. Sam Baker

12-15-2007, 01:48 PM
My top 5 looks like this..

1. Ryan Clady
2. Phil Loadholt
3. Jake Long
4. Jeff Otah
5. Chris Williams

Don Vito
12-15-2007, 01:52 PM
1. Jake Long - He is the best lineman in this class, can play both tackle spots. May look to be more of a RT but did very well pass blocking on the left side this season, Gholston has been pretty much his only problem.

2. Mike Oher* - Oher has had 3 great seasons at Ole Miss, he has been the mosst consistent and dominant player on the team. He is big, VERY athletic, and is a great pass blocker as well as a very solid run blocker.

3. Jeff Otah - Otah has seen his stock rise greatly and rightfully so. He has played well and he is a monster tackle with good athleticism. I focused on him during the WVU game and he was solid.

4. Chris Williams - I like Williams a lot. He has all of the tools and is hard worker, he has played very well despite little exposure at Vandy. I would like to see him go round 1.

5. Ryan Clady* - I think Clady is incredibly overrated. He is a great athlete but I don't think he warrants a first round pick at this point. I watched him during the Hawaii (I think it was Hawaii) game and he did not impress me at all. He and Gosder Cherilus are both early-mid second rounders imo.

If Loadholt were to declare, I would put him at either #2 or #3. I haven't really seen enough of him to say he is an elite tackle prospect. I know he is huge and had a geat season but he has only played 1 year of big time football.

MIKE OHER IS NOT A GUARD. He is a great tackle prospect and has some of the best upside at LT in this class. Him being looked at as a guard is ridiculous, there is usually no reason besides him being listed at 6-4. He is 6-5 anyways, and it shouldn't even matter.

P-L
12-15-2007, 01:55 PM
My Top Five (Draft Stock)
1. Jake Long, Michigan
2. Ryan Clady, Boise State
3. Phil Loadholt, Oklahoma
4. Chris Williams, Vanderbilt
5. Jeff Otah, Pittsburgh

My Top Five (Potential)
1. Phil Loadholt, Oklahoma
3. Michael Oher, Mississippi
4. Jake Long, Michigan
5. Chris Williams, Vanderbilt

Travis 24
12-15-2007, 02:10 PM
It wouldn't shock me to see Chris Williams or Tony Hills be the best LT out of this draft...I think Gosder Cherilus is easily the best RT prospect, imo.

Babylon
12-15-2007, 02:32 PM
It wouldn't shock me to see Chris Williams or Tony Hills be the best LT out of this draft...I think Gosder Cherilus is easily the best RT prospect, imo.

I've been dissapointed in Cherilus, he just doesnt have any leg drive in run blocking.

Anyone know anything definitive on whether Alex Boone is coming out?

keylime_5
12-15-2007, 02:45 PM
from what I gather Alex Boone is probably gonna declare unfortunately. I think there's a great chance he can end up in the first round and be picked in the 20s or 30s. Not many good 6-8/315 left tackles with good feet like Boone. He would definitely benefit from another year and probably end up a top 20 pick that way, but it doesn't look like he's leaning that way. If they beat LSU that wouldn't help his chances of sticking around either I don't think. But I could definitely see Boone jumping Cherilus, Williams, and even Oher and Loadholt.

Babylon
12-15-2007, 02:56 PM
from what I gather Alex Boone is probably gonna declare unfortunately. I think there's a great chance he can end up in the first round and be picked in the 20s or 30s. Not many good 6-8/315 left tackles with good feet like Boone. He would definitely benefit from another year and probably end up a top 20 pick that way, but it doesn't look like he's leaning that way. If they beat LSU that wouldn't help his chances of sticking around either I don't think. But I could definitely see Boone jumping Cherilus, Williams, and even Oher and Loadholt.

Unfortunately i only caught 2 Buckeye games this year, how was his play? On paper he looks like a stud but you know how that goes.

fenikz
12-15-2007, 03:01 PM
My Top Five (Draft Stock)
1. Jake Long, Michigan
3. Phil Loadholt, Oklahoma
4. Chris Williams, Vanderbilt
5. Jeff Otah, Pittsburgh

My Top Five (Potential)
1. Phil Loadholt, Oklahoma
3. Michael Oher, Mississippi
4. Jake Long, Michigan
5. Chris Williams, Vanderbilt

How do you have a potential list without Otah being #1 or #2, a team with a good O-Line coach is going to fall in love with this guy and mold him into a beast, Texans, Redskins and Cardinals are all possibilities for him

P-L
12-15-2007, 03:07 PM
How do you have a potential list without Otah being #1 or #2, a team with a good O-Line coach is going to fall in love with this guy and mold him into a beast, Texans, Redskins and Cardinals are all possibilities for him
I'm just not a fan of him at all. I think it's going to take A LOT of work to make him into an elite LT. I guess, technically he's be top 2 based on potential, but I see a very little chance of him reaching it.

Babylon
12-15-2007, 03:08 PM

Maybe because the other guys are better?

fenikz
12-15-2007, 03:19 PM
I'm just not a fan of him at all. I think it's going to take A LOT of work to make him into an elite LT. I guess, technically he's be top 2 based on potential, but I see a very little chance of him reaching it.

good reply

Maybe because the other guys are better?

terrible reply, might as well be spamming

toonsterwu
12-15-2007, 03:38 PM
If Alex Boone declares, I think that's a mistake. He's a guy that, if he goes back and works at it, could be a early-mid first next year. Right now, I think he's anywhere from the late first-early 3rd.

My top 5 overall tackle values would probably be

1. Jake Long
2. Ryan Clady
3. Jeff Otah
4. Chris Williams
5. Philip Loadholt

Babylon
12-15-2007, 03:44 PM
good reply

terrible reply, might as well be spamming

Spamming, what are you in highschool? The guy was making a rhetorical comment, "How is the guy not 1st or 2nd" and i gave him a simple reply.

Iamcanadian
12-15-2007, 03:50 PM
If Alex Boone declares, I think that's a mistake. He's a guy that, if he goes back and works at it, could be a early-mid first next year. Right now, I think he's anywhere from the late first-early 3rd.

My top 5 overall tackle values would probably be

1. Jake Long
2. Ryan Clady
3. Jeff Otah
4. Chris Williams
5. Philip Loadholt

I disagree on Boone. If he declares as it appears he will, he has a legit shot at at going #2 or 3 among the OT's. If he's talented, being a junior won't hinder him, in fact scouts and GM's might think that he will be easier to retrain for the pro game since he's younger.
Most colleges do not properly train their players for a pro career. They are far more interested that they perform in their college system and pro teams often have a hard time retraining prospects for a pro style game especially OLmen. Pro coaches like the idea of getting a player before the college techniques become entrenched in his motor skills.

d34ng3l021
12-15-2007, 03:56 PM
Do you guys seriously think Jake Long can play LT well in the Pros?

I have heard that he might have troubles at LT in the pros. Falcons are also looking for a solid LT, but may have their RT spot tied up with this emerging player.

bored of education
12-15-2007, 03:58 PM
1. Chris Williams
2. Phil Loadholt
3. Jeff Otah
4. Carl Nicks
5. Ryan Clady

Babylon
12-15-2007, 03:58 PM
I disagree on Boone. If he declares as it appears he will, he has a legit shot at at going #2 or 3 among the OT's. If he's talented, being a junior won't hinder him, in fact scouts and GM's might think that he will be easier to retrain for the pro game since he's younger.
Most colleges do not properly train their players for a pro career. They are far more interested that they perform in their college system and pro teams often have a hard time retraining prospects for a pro style game especially OLmen. Pro coaches like the idea of getting a player before the college techniques become entrenched in his motor skills.

I dont know that he's leaning either way but my argument for coming out would be mid 1st round money next year is probably equal to late 1st round money this year. If that is the case (and it was just my opinion) then i think from a financial position you come out. I'm also not buying any talk of if they beat LSU or they dont, i dont think that has anything to do with his decision.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-15-2007, 04:02 PM
Do you guys seriously think Jake Long can play LT well in the Pros?

I have heard that he might have troubles at LT in the pros. Falcons are also looking for a solid LT, but may have their RT spot tied up with this emerging player.

All it takes is one look at Long to have your doubts, but he's held down the left tackle spot quite well this season and when you compare how he has played on that side to players like Cherilus and Loadholt, he's miles ahead. He might never be a dominant pass blocker on the left side and speed rushers will likely be able to slip by him, but he hasn't done anything this year that really tells me he can't be an NFL left tackle.