PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Williams

jetsfan0099
12-14-2007, 09:58 PM
What kind of prospect is Derrick Williams??? Is he a possible 1st round one day or is he a 2nd or later round WR?? I know his stats arent amazing in college with penn State, whats the deal on that, I thought I heard he was a really good player, and I just saw his stats and they werent that impressive, so why is that? Hes not entering this draft right, hes going to be in next years???

DeathbyStat
12-14-2007, 10:46 PM
He has pretty good measurables but He has an awful Qb throwing him the ball, a predictable and bad offensive coordinator calling his plays.

However, if he was a a true play maker he would make more plays...he is very over rated

foozball
12-14-2007, 10:49 PM
he's an impressive athlete, one of the best in the nation. penn st hasnt been using him correctly IMO, putting too much on his plate since his freshman year in a reggie bush type role RB/WR/KR

i think once he can focus on just being just a WR, he'll flourish. he hasnt been able to focus on just one position, not even back in highschool

his measurables are good at 6'0 205lbs and running in the 4.35-4.4 range

i think he's a 3rd round guy right now unless he steps up his production. he's raw as a WR but his upside is very high.

Draft King
12-14-2007, 10:51 PM
I don't see how you could describe him as over-rated, it's hard to call a guy that is not talked about much that. He has the talent, we all knew that when he was one of the top recruits out of HS, the question is was his great Freshman campaign a fluke, or were the last 2 seasons because of the poor play of his QBs.

Mr. Stiller
12-14-2007, 11:14 PM
I don't see how you could describe him as over-rated, it's hard to call a guy that is not talked about much that. He has the talent, we all knew that when he was one of the top recruits out of HS, the question is was his great Freshman campaign a fluke, or were the last 2 seasons because of the poor play of his QBs.

I'd lean towards freshman year because, hell, even Robinson wasn't a great QB.. he's a short yardage back in San Francisco.. I think Morelli has been the downfall of Penn State.

BuddyCHRIST
12-15-2007, 12:39 AM
He's certainly an athlete and I really like his build because he looks very strong while still being very fast. Obviously he's had mediocre QB play his whole career, even with Michael Robinson who was never the best passer. Not to mention Penn St. runs a conservative offense. Him and his teammate Justin King would benefit draft position wise by staying, but it is a weak WR class so he'd be a first day guy on measurables alone.

underscore
12-15-2007, 06:30 AM
Williams isn't going anywhere.

He surely hasn't lived up to the hype that surrounded him, but he finally started to pick things up the 2nd half of this season to where he was pre-injury his freshman year. Hopefully next year (though, PSU may insist on starting a QB even worse than Morelli) he can continue the trend.

Michigan
12-15-2007, 09:07 AM
he's not as fast as he was as a freshman =(

SeanTaylorRIP
12-15-2007, 11:04 AM
He is similar to Eddie Royal as a prospect IMO. Possibility to go a couple rounds higher though with a solid senior campaign and just based on his name.

badgerbacker
12-15-2007, 11:22 AM
he's not as fast as he was as a freshman =(I'm not going to pretend like I've watched every Penn State game, but I remember watching him on a punt return that he took all the way for a touchdown, he honestly did not look very fast at all. He's a very quick player, but he didn't seem to have the straight line speed. I don't know if he'd run a very fast 40.

skarocksoi
12-15-2007, 12:35 PM
I heard the coaching staff asked him to gain some weight after his freshman year and as a result it kind of slowed him down a bit. That and Mike McQueary the WR coach is a joke. And I agree with the people complaining about Morelli and Galen Hall (the OC). I think he would probably go in the 2nd or 3rd rounds if he left school this year.

I doubt he does however, as he said after last season that "anything less than a national championship would be a dissapointment". Since that obviously didnt happen, I feel he would probably hang around for another year and give it a shot, especially with how young the team is.