PDA

View Full Version : New Mock Draft Discussion

Scott Wright
12-16-2007, 02:08 AM
As promised I just made the new mock draft live. I believe about 2/3 of the round has changed!

As always discussion and constructive criticism is welcomed and encouraged, just be sure to give the reasons and details behind your opinions and keep this thread informative and civil.

Without further adieu you can link to the new mock via the main page:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com

Note: - If the mock isn't dated December 16, 2007 at the top you aren't viewing the latest version and may need to either refresh the page or clear your cache.

Smokey Joe
12-16-2007, 02:14 AM
nice, got no complaints about the bears pick.

Windy
12-16-2007, 02:15 AM
Excellent pick for the Raiders.

Chris30277
12-16-2007, 02:19 AM
I know Atlanta is in the hunt for a QB, but I am not a fan of Matt Ryan at all

bearsfan_51
12-16-2007, 02:21 AM
That's a real nice looking mock. The only pick that stands out to me that I disagree with is Limas Sweed in the top 20. I just don't buy it and I think he takes a dive very similar to Dwayne Jarrett last year.

Scott Wright
12-16-2007, 02:23 AM
That's a real nice looking mock. The only pick that stands out to me that I disagree with is Limas Sweed in the top 20. I just don't buy it and I think he takes a dive very similar to Dwayne Jarrett last year.

There are some who feel Sweed could be a Top 10 overall pick and the first wideout taken. I personally wouldn't agree with that but he has a lot of fans out there and I'd be mildly surprised if he fell out of the first round.

Leon Sandcastle
12-16-2007, 02:27 AM
Leodis McKelvin? Haven't heard a lot about him. And Kentwan Balmer moving in the first round are the two big surprises.

Good stuff as always Scotty.

Also do you think there's a chance that Keith Rivers drops to the late 1st even into the 2nd round?

Turtlepower
12-16-2007, 02:32 AM
The only question I have with the Connor pick is that if he will fit in well on the weakside. That is my question mark about him.

Scott Wright
12-16-2007, 02:32 AM
Also do you think there's a chance that Keith Rivers drops to the late 1st even into the 2nd round?

I think there is a better chance of him moving towards the Top 10 than the bottom of round one.

Scott Wright
12-16-2007, 02:33 AM
The only question I have with the Connor pick is that if he will fit in well on the weakside. That is my question mark about him.

Yes, he is being looked at as a weakside or middle prospect depending on the team.

Tampa 2 4 life
12-16-2007, 02:35 AM
Holy crap, Mike Jenkins is the first CB Selected? I'm a huge USF homer but I don't even think he's above Malcolm..

bearsfan_51
12-16-2007, 02:39 AM
There are some who feel Sweed could be a Top 10 overall pick and the first wideout taken. I personally wouldn't agree with that but he has a lot of fans out there and I'd be mildly surprised if he fell out of the first round.
Who are these people and are they aware of his 40 time? While I would agree that he is the best possession receiever in this class (though Hardy and Bennett would give him a run for his money if they declare), possession receivers don't typical get selected in the top 10, particularly after the Mike Williams debacle.

jayceheathman
12-16-2007, 02:40 AM
You mean the Texans arent picking another DL? Watch them choose Calais Campbell.

EvilMonkey
12-16-2007, 02:42 AM
Love Talib to the Packers. Not a big fan of Ikeguano(sp?) and a lot of mocks have him going there, really enjoy seeing a mock that gives us a guy i really like.

bored of education
12-16-2007, 02:44 AM
Balmer is a 1st rounder 3-4 DE by now. Ill be sad if he isint. My last mock i Hade him 2nd round for the Niners. there are 3 guys I think are sort of sleepers for 3-4 D's. One is Balmer others are Langenford from hampton, and if you see my mock Draft about 2 weeks ago I hade Jason jones s a 2nd round pick for NE. I think Jones and Balmer are perfect fits forthe 3-4

cordscords
12-16-2007, 02:55 AM
You finally gave the Packers a CB. I'm happy :)

OzTitan
12-16-2007, 03:03 AM
Hrm, Limas Sweed. Not that I don't like him, just not sure he's a mid 1st rounder.

Just wondering - did the fact he played with VY at Texas factor in much? I mean do you really think he is better than Kelly or Doucet or Hardy or Manningham? If so, cool, but I'm not sure chemistry 3 years later is much of a factor myself.

kwilk103
12-16-2007, 03:42 AM
scott, kinda offtopic, but will you be having a new ask nfldc soon?

btw, i enjoy the site

keep up the good work

Caddy
12-16-2007, 03:47 AM
Same Buc pick as last draft and I still think it is pretty solid.

Ewing
12-16-2007, 03:59 AM
I would smack my television if the Titans picked Limas Sweed with Malcolm Kelly and James Hardy still on the board.

Sveen
12-16-2007, 04:05 AM
Good Saints pick and great job on the whole mock. Looks good :)

junior2430
12-16-2007, 04:37 AM
I like th Rivers pick for Denver. But would Connor offer more versatlilty. I think D.J. will be successful in the middle or on the strong side, so who would be a better fit for strongside/inside LB - Connor or Rivers? Also, could Erin Henderson fit in there somewhere.

Do you think Denver would look at something like S or OT any try and pick up someone like Beau Bell in round 2?

Don Vito
12-16-2007, 05:14 AM
I would rather have a DE/OLB like Vernon Gholston instead of D-Mac for the Pats, but you can never complain about adding elite talent. Maroney has dealt with injuries, but we still have Sammy Morris (who is hurt but played well), Kevin Faulk, Heath Evans, and Kyle Eckel. That is a pretty solid backfield. Maroney is very young and talented, and even though the rest of the group is aging I think it would be wise to not take a RB and take a defensive player.

A DE/OLB or perhaps even a DB like Malcolm Jenkins would be a little bit of a reach but would make much more sense for the Pats. We have a lot of wear in the tires at the LB position and there are still some depth issues in the secondary.

Travis 24
12-16-2007, 07:09 AM
I'm not crazy about Philly taking a receiver in the first...but I could settle with Jackson there..at least he could make an instant impact on special teams..

I don't get how Limas Sweed is even considered a first round pick..He brings nothing to the table other than size.

ATLDirtyBirds
12-16-2007, 08:15 AM
I would cry if Atlanta selected Matt Ryan. And they wouldn't be tears of happiness.

Sniper
12-16-2007, 08:33 AM
Not a big fan of DeSean Jackson to Philly. Yes, it does address a need at burner WR and PR/KR, but I'm not sold on him as a wideout and I don't believe in drafting returners in the first round. Much rather have a top notch CB like Malcolm Jenkins or Jack Ikegwuonu or a LB like Dan Connor, Keith Rivers or James Laurinaitis or DE like Calais Campbell.

Scott, you really feel like Mario Manningham runs great routes? Besides the go route, out and up etc.. (anything deep) I feel as if route-running is one of the things he needs to improve on, along with hands and blocking.

jetsfan0099
12-16-2007, 08:55 AM
lol thats funny he did the new mock yesterday and now the Pats dont have the 2nd pick anymore since the 49ers won. I thought the Jets would be over the Falcons if both have the Same record. Either way I wouldnt be upset with the Jets pick, Chris Long or Vernon Gholston at that point both would help and be great picks for us.

ATLDirtyBirds
12-16-2007, 09:01 AM
lol thats funny he did the new mock yesterday and now the Pats dont have the 2nd pick anymore since the 49ers won. I thought the Jets would be over the Falcons if both have the Same record. Either way I would be upset with the Jets pick, Chris Long or Vernon Gholston at that point both would help and be great picks for us.

No, the Jets' opposition has a higher winner % then Atlanta's does.

bergo23
12-16-2007, 09:02 AM
Scott,

I liked all the new faces on your mock.....the kid you picked for the Bolts from NC State isn't as much a priority as RT, I am telling you the Bolts brass feel they need a stud there to anchor a line that has underperformed this year. If Cherilous is there, we pick him.......if Otah falls we pick him (although I think where you have him now reflects his value better than last mock).

The safety class is sooo thin which is why Phillips declared so quickly.....and he won't fall to us. I like the Balmer idea better than Okam.......he may be another Sean Rogers: not motivated (which shows up in consistency on film) enough, so he may be dropping out of the first round without a stud showing at the senior bowl and his bowl game.

Jeromey Clary is not the solution for us at RT, Olivea's future is inside at guard.......so they need a RT, and one likely will be available in the mid 20's.

scottyboy
12-16-2007, 09:33 AM
I'd be ok with the Giants pick. It is a need, as Connor would be an upgrade over Mitchell, but I feel DB is more of a need and I'd prefer Cason or Reggie Smith. I'm fine with the Giants pick. nice work as always Scott!

EdReedUnstoppable
12-16-2007, 09:34 AM
Wow I absolutely hate that Ravens pick, Brohm is the 4th QB on the board IMO and that would be a disasterous move by us. Malcolm Jenkins or Andre Woodson would be better for us, and I dont think we're looking for a rookie QB to throw to the wolves again so I believe we would take Woodson and sit him through most if not all of next season.

Young Legend
12-16-2007, 09:58 AM
Excellent raider pick..

PossumBoy9
12-16-2007, 10:36 AM
Don't like Jake Long to the Rams. I just don't feel he's worth the pick.

I don't see the Rams passing on a DE like Chris Long or Vernon Gholston.

P-L
12-16-2007, 10:40 AM
I'm not a fan of Jeff Otah at all, but it is a very realistic pick.

BroadwayJoe10
12-16-2007, 10:44 AM
I do like chris long, but i still don't see him playing 3-4 DE; I guess it will all depend on his size. Also, what his 3-cone drill and 40 turns out to be, he probably could be moved to OLB. I really think that my hesitation towards the pick is because of how bad i want vernon gholston. Either way, both great players.

Sniper
12-16-2007, 10:48 AM
Don't like Jake Long to the Rams. I just don't feel he's worth the pick.

I don't see the Rams passing on a DE like Chris Long or Vernon Gholston.

The best OL in the draft isn't worth the pick?

12-16-2007, 10:48 AM
couldnt be happier with the raiders pick :D

Hines
12-16-2007, 10:50 AM
I honestly dont want Cherilus as I believe he is lazy and doesnt have good footwork. If we go tackle, I would like to go Williams or Loadholt if hes there. If we dont go tackle, I would like Duke Robinson if he comes out.

If Hardy is there, I would take him...Id also take Aqib over Cherilus.

villagewarrior
12-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Great Chiefs pick, Clady could solve a lot of problems on the offensive line just by being able to shift McIntosh to right tackle. Other needs on the first day: CB and a G or C.

BamaFalcon59
12-16-2007, 10:56 AM
I would cry if Atlanta selected Matt Ryan. And they wouldn't be tears of happiness.

Ditto. (10 characters)

Babylon
12-16-2007, 11:07 AM
I'm not crazy about Philly taking a receiver in the first...but I could settle with Jackson there..at least he could make an instant impact on special teams..

I don't get how Limas Sweed is even considered a first round pick..He brings nothing to the table other than size.

And i'll say it if you dont want to he isnt as good as Jordy Nelson and neither is Manninham. I did like the mock though and Connor to the Giants will make a lot of northeasters very happy in the long run.

Oaktown1981
12-16-2007, 11:27 AM
I like the Raiders pick a lot. Gholston would play RE and this would allow the Raiders to move Tommy Kelly to UT where he should be playing.

jetsfan0099
12-16-2007, 11:52 AM

Where do you get the winner % numbers at???? Anyone have a link to a site with it???

jetsfan0099
12-16-2007, 11:54 AM
I do like chris long, but i still don't see him playing 3-4 DE; I guess it will all depend on his size. Also, what his 3-cone drill and 40 turns out to be, he probably could be moved to OLB. I really think that my hesitation towards the pick is because of how bad i want vernon gholston. Either way, both great players.

I dont see Long playing OLB, if we take him to play OLB I would be upset, I think Gholston is a much better athlete to play OLB in the 3-4 system. I see Long getting his weight up to 290 by the time draft comes. Thats big enough for the 3-4, plus he gets perfect leverage all the time and is extremely strong and has a motor that never stops. I would be all for Long or Gholston man does our defense needs help in the front 7.

bruschis4all
12-16-2007, 12:02 PM

People who didn't watch the OSU/UM game think Gholston abused J.Long. What they don't realize is that he did nearly all of his damage over the RT Shilling. I'm a PSU fan. Have seen J.Long wreak havoc on the Big 10 the last 3 years. Kid will be a 10-12 year starter in the NFL. And, a very good one. May not be T.Boselli. But, he's not going to be R.Gallery either.

Babylon
12-16-2007, 12:11 PM
I dont see Long playing OLB, if we take him to play OLB I would be upset, I think Gholston is a much better athlete to play OLB in the 3-4 system. I see Long getting his weight up to 290 by the time draft comes. Thats big enough for the 3-4, plus he gets perfect leverage all the time and is extremely strong and has a motor that never stops. I would be all for Long or Gholston man does our defense needs help in the front 7.

I think Long will be fine playing at 270-280, Patrick Kerney and Kyle Van Den Bosch are in that neighborhood sizewise and they seem to do quite well. I think if you're torn between Gholston and Chris Long you take who you think is the better player and worry about playing positions later.

Sniper
12-16-2007, 12:29 PM
People who didn't watch the OSU/UM game think Gholston abused J.Long. What they don't realize is that he did nearly all of his damage over the RT Shilling. I'm a PSU fan. Have seen J.Long wreak havoc on the Big 10 the last 3 years. Kid will be a 10-12 year starter in the NFL. And, a very good one. May not be T.Boselli. But, he's not going to be R.Gallery either.

You're very wise. Schilling is a natural guard and Gholston rightfully abused him. I think Jake's given up 2 sacks his entire career.

Scott Wright
12-16-2007, 12:53 PM
Scott, you really feel like Mario Manningham runs great routes?

He is the master of the double move.

Wow I absolutely hate that Ravens pick, Brohm is the 4th QB on the board IMO and that would be a disasterous move by us. Malcolm Jenkins or Andre Woodson would be better for us, and I dont think we're looking for a rookie QB to throw to the wolves again so I believe we would take Woodson and sit him through most if not all of next season.

And then what do the Ravens do at quarterback next season if Woodson is riding the pine all year? Something tells me Baltimore isn't going to be content writing 2008 off as a rebuilding year. At least with Brohm he can come in and manage the game.

I do like chris long, but i still don't see him playing 3-4 DE;

Are you kidding? He is a prototypical 3-4 defensive end. He is NOT a linebacker under any set of circumstances. He is more of a bad fit as a 4-3 end than he is a 3-4 end.

Vikes99ej
12-16-2007, 01:06 PM
Not too sold yet on Harvey as a prospect. He has 6.5 sacks, and two of them were against 1-AA Western kentucky.

Xiomera
12-16-2007, 01:16 PM
The Manningham pick shocked me.

Detroit's pick is a good one.

Sniper
12-16-2007, 01:18 PM
He is the master of the double move.

Yes he is. But I assumed you meant stuff like slants, curls, posts etc...

MicktheGreat
12-16-2007, 01:18 PM
Scott...

Good work on the mock, as usual.

However, as a Titans' homer, I doubt that the Titans go with Sweed in the first round, or any WR for that matter. There's no question that the Titans need some help at WR; but looking at this team's management style, I think it's much more likely that they draft a couple of mid-round WRs (again) and try to sign an experienced vet WR in FA -- as both Eric Moulds and Justin Gage have been pleasant surprises for the Titans...not world-beaters but solid contributors to the offense.

Instead, it's much more likely that the Titans draft DL in the first round. At DE, both LaBoy and Odom could be gone this off-season. And at DT, Albert Haynesworth (our most valuable player this season) still hasn't been resigned and there's need for another starting DT alongside him anyway -- since Starks has been a disappointment and Brown is more of a backup/rotation type DT.

Also, depending on what happens with Pacman's reinstatement next season, I wouldn't be shocked if they went CB in the first round. It seems that the coaching staff has moved last year's rookie, Michael Griffin, to S to stay. Our current CBs (Harper & Finnegan) are underrated, but the position could still be improved.

Also...don't be completely surprised if the Titans consider a TE late in the first round or maybe in the second round. Ben Troupe is terribly inconsistent and has never delivered on his talent. Bo Scaife is OK but is better as a #2 TE. A true #1 TE is important in this offense, yet, right now, the Titans are without someone that they can consistently count on at the position.

As of today, this is what I'd guess that the Titans draft in the 1st:
1. DT
2. DE
3. CB
4. WR
5. TE

TACKLE
12-16-2007, 01:23 PM
Not too sold yet on Harvey as a prospect. He has 6.5 sacks, and two of them were against 1-AA Western kentucky.

Same here. Personally I'm more of a fan of Chris Ellis. He has looked really good this year. His production has been better than Harvey's and has passed him as the #3 DE in the draft.

Also, no Cason?

Bobo
12-16-2007, 01:31 PM
I think I'd go Kelly before Sweed. Sweed seems more procession, Kelly more playmaker, and still with sure hands. I think Kelly is more what the Titans need.

d34ng3l021
12-16-2007, 02:45 PM
Matt Ryan has said he doesnt want to play in Atlanta. I dont know how that will factor into the decision...

Jonny
12-16-2007, 02:52 PM
Giants have the #7 defense. Dan Connor is a poor fit anyway.

doingthisinsteadofwork
12-16-2007, 02:54 PM
I give Oaklands pick an A+.

Babylon
12-16-2007, 03:08 PM

First off he would be great value where they're picking and second he would help their pass defense either by getting after the QB or covering deep down the middle in their cover 2, Do you think they have great linebacking there? i dont. In round 2 you could get another OL or a WR.

oldLibid21
12-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Hey, Scott, just to let you know. When you click the mock draft button on the main site, it still redirects you to the old mock. Just a heads up.

Thanks for posting the new one nonetheless. I will read it much later.

scottyboy
12-16-2007, 03:35 PM

so we have the #7 D. Who cares? we still have obvious holes at OLB, CB and maybe safety, depending on how Johnson does.

btw, a bit off topic, but anyone know where I can get Scott's player breakdown of Michael Johnson last year(safety from 'zona)

Smokey Joe
12-16-2007, 03:37 PM
And then what do the Ravens do at quarterback next season if Woodson is riding the pine all year? Something tells me Baltimore isn't going to be content writing 2008 off as a rebuilding year. At least with Brohm he can come in and manage the game.
I highly doubt Baltimore goes QB. They have Boeller for another season and Troy Smith has been progressing as well.

Are you kidding? He is a prototypical 3-4 defensive end. He is NOT a linebacker under any set of circumstances. He is more of a bad fit as a 4-3 end than he is a 3-4 end.
I disagree here as well. I think he would make a great 4-3 RDE.

iloxygenil
12-16-2007, 03:39 PM
Sucks that the order isn't right. I know you put a lot of work into it...but for the Falcons, now it means nothing. I don't think anything could make us pick Matt Ryan either...after his public statements of not wanting to play here. I didn't read past the #4 pick though...just to be honest. If you had to do it with the new draft order with the Falcons at #2 would you still have them pick Ryan?

Chris
12-16-2007, 04:04 PM
Not that Rivers is a bad pick, but your analysis (as usual with the Broncos) seems to be totally off.

Ian Gold sucks this year, and DJ Williams was never good at SAM, and never wants to play it again. He was much better at WILL than he was at SAM, and will NEVER move back there.

Rivers would replace Gold, (who is probably out for the season now) and not Williams.

Vikes99ej
12-16-2007, 04:10 PM
Not that Rivers is a bad pick, but your analysis (as usual with the Broncos) seems to be totally off.

Ian Gold sucks this year, and DJ Williams was never good at SAM, and never wants to play it again. He was much better at WILL than he was at SAM, and will NEVER move back there.

Rivers would replace Gold, (who is probably out for the season now) and not Williams.

Wow, I have not seen you here in a LONG time.

junior2430
12-16-2007, 04:20 PM

Was that a response to Scott's pick, or to my post about scott's pick?

I have said that I prefer DJ in the middle and to get a new SAM to replace Webster, who has been awful this year.

Gold isn't that bad, and we just signed Winborn to an extension right behind him.

Babylon
12-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Sucks that the order isn't right. I know you put a lot of work into it...but for the Falcons, now it means nothing. I don't think anything could make us pick Matt Ryan either...after his public statements of not wanting to play here. I didn't read past the #4 pick though...just to be honest. If you had to do it with the new draft order with the Falcons at #2 would you still have them pick Ryan?

When did Ryan say he didnt want to play there?.(couldnt blame him if he did)

TACKLE
12-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Obviouslly the Falcons are a mess but it really has to be unappealing to be a QB in Atlanta when all your recievers who cannot catch at all.

Jonny
12-16-2007, 05:07 PM
First off he would be great value where they're picking and second he would help their pass defense either by getting after the QB or covering deep down the middle in their cover 2, Do you think they have great linebacking there? i dont. In round 2 you could get another OL or a WR.

We need CB help. Connor isn't really what we need at LB.

SuperMcGee
12-16-2007, 05:12 PM
Same good pick for the Bills. Even with ugly conditions and subpar QB play, today was a good indicator of how much we need a receiver.

iloxygenil
12-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Obviouslly the Falcons are a mess but it really has to be unappealing to be a QB in Atlanta when all your recievers who cannot catch at all.

Which shows how much you've been paying attention this year. WRs have been one of the best units on the team. Yes, a bad team, but Roddy White is about to break 1000 yards. He would have today had it not been for only having 1 catchable ball thrown his way *which he did catch by the way* Plus an injury. Anyway, WRs have been 100x better this year. Roddy finally woke up, and Robinson is promising, Jenkins is a good redzone target.

art vandelay
12-16-2007, 06:15 PM
A pick from Scott that I actually agree with. Nice.

gdamac
12-16-2007, 06:21 PM
Great Raiders pick mr. Wright. You have Gholston going 26th, do you believe juniors being included (depending on which ones, of course) might push to where the Raiders might be able to pick him in the second?

Thanks

Scotty D
12-16-2007, 06:28 PM
Otah is a good pick for the Lions. Team is just a mess right now though.

Bengals1690
12-16-2007, 06:36 PM
i like the pick. him or phillips in orange and black.

keep it up

Babylon
12-16-2007, 06:42 PM
Which shows how much you've been paying attention this year. WRs have been one of the best units on the team. Yes, a bad team, but Roddy White is about to break 1000 yards. He would have today had it not been for only having 1 catchable ball thrown his way *which he did catch by the way* Plus an injury. Anyway, WRs have been 100x better this year. Roddy finally woke up, and Robinson is promising, Jenkins is a good redzone target.

Jenkins seems to drop a lot of passes, i wouldnt think getting another wideout in round 2 or 3 would be a bad move at all.

BeerBaron
12-16-2007, 06:52 PM
While I don't disagree that the bears need a QB, i think they could more wisely spend a first round pick on one of the OT's or (gasp) some help on defense.

thier defense got them to a SB last year with rex freaking grossman as the QB and all of the injuries this year have really exposed the lack of depth they have now.

A DT to play next to harris or an OLB to replace briggs would both be wise investments while they take henne, ainge, brennan or flacco in round 2.

Babylon
12-16-2007, 06:57 PM
While I don't disagree that the bears need a QB, i think they could more wisely spend a first round pick on one of the OT's or (gasp) some help on defense.

thier defense got them to a SB last year with rex freaking grossman as the QB and all of the injuries this year have really exposed the lack of depth they have now.

A DT to play next to harris or an OLB to replace briggs would both be wise investments while they take henne, ainge, brennan or flacco in round 2.

I would look at the depth of each position, QB,OL, maybe DL or WR. If i think i can get a quality lineman in round 2 then i pull the trigger on a QB in round 1. if not then maybe go with the OL first. Either way i'm probably taking a WR in round 3, not exactly in love with that corps of receivers there. By the way i thought Briggs was staying.

BeerBaron
12-16-2007, 07:00 PM
the rumor that briggs had signed an extension was shot down by his agent. its still a possibility but i feel like hes going to be gone. plus, since he met his playing time stipulation, the bears can franchise tag him again.

i also agree that the receivers are a mess but i don't see them going there with the needs they have elsewhere.

PossumBoy9
12-16-2007, 07:21 PM

No, he's not. If were an elite left tackle prospect, he would be. Jake Long isn't an elite LT prospect, IMO.

Hines
12-16-2007, 07:22 PM
No, he's not. If were an elite left tackle prospect, he would be. Jake Long isn't an elite LT prospect, IMO.

What the hell you been smoking?

Sniper
12-16-2007, 07:30 PM

No, it's legit. I mean, Jake clearly can't handle elite pass rushers, you know, with the two sacks in four years.

PossumBoy9
12-16-2007, 07:31 PM

Do I really deserve that for simply feeling Jake Long is overrated?

PossumBoy9
12-16-2007, 07:33 PM
No, it's legit. I mean, Jake clearly can't handle elite pass rushers, you know, with the two sacks in four years.

I'd rather have Gholston than Jake Long. Does your sig disagree?

Seasonticketholder
12-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Wow...if the Saints actually had a choice between Laurinaitis and Malcolm Jenkins, I would be absolutely giddy! You really can't go wrong with either although I might rate Jenkins slightly higher and slightly more of a need given our woes in the defensive secondary.

Smooth Criminal
12-16-2007, 07:58 PM
I love the Steelers picking up an OT. I think Starks will be resigned though. In todays game Marvel Smith was benched at the end for Starks at LT and Starks filled in well against Miami and Cincy. I can see the Steelers resigning Starks to play LT, Moving Simmons to LG, Colon to RG, and starting a rookie or FA at RT.

Captain Canuck
12-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Who else would you consider for Buffalo if Kelly was gone at that point. I want our 1st and 2nd round picks to be CB/WR or WR CB. If Kelly was gone I'd personally want Aqib Talib. We will need a big physical corner to cover Moss.

Hines
12-16-2007, 08:08 PM
Do I really deserve that for simply feeling Jake Long is overrated?

How do you think he is overrated? He isnt a Joe Thomas, but if he went out last year, he would be a Cardinal right now.

Don Killuminati
12-16-2007, 08:10 PM
Certainly not opposed to Gholston for Oakland, though I think Sed Ellis might be the better pick. The only position on our team this year weaker than DE is DT. The cupboard is completely bare inside.

PossumBoy9
12-16-2007, 08:11 PM
How do you think he is overrated? He isnt a Joe Thomas, but if he went out last year, he would be a Cardinal right now.

So? If Levi Brown was in this draft, I wouldn't want the Rams picking him either.

I fear there are some that feel Jake Long is Joe Thomas.

Hines
12-16-2007, 08:12 PM
So? If Levi Brown was in this draft, I wouldn't want the Rams picking him either.

I fear there are some that feel Jake Long is Joe Thomas.

Theres not much difference between the two..they both are gonna be all pro left tackles

hugegmenfan
12-16-2007, 08:15 PM
the giants really do not need a OLB as badly they do a CB. Scott, give us reggie smith- a versatile guy in the secondary would really help us. our front 7 has played great this year and im pretty sure were giving mitchell an extension after this season.

Scott Wright
12-16-2007, 08:16 PM
I think I'd go Kelly before Sweed. Sweed seems more procession, Kelly more playmaker, and still with sure hands. I think Kelly is more what the Titans need.

I think that is more a matter of the Texas and Oklahoma offenses than anything else...

Physically Sweed and Kelly are very similar in terms of size and speed.

Scott Wright
12-16-2007, 08:20 PM
I don't think anything could make us pick Matt Ryan either...after his public statements of not wanting to play here.

This is the first I've heard of this... Source?

If it's true than Ryan's makeup grade goes down a notch in my book because that would be a ridiculously stupid statement to make at this point.

gdamac
12-16-2007, 08:37 PM
Ahhh, I was still getting the old mock. Funny because I though I cleared the cache, guess I must not have. Sorry for the dumb question earlier.

ONUV
12-16-2007, 08:37 PM
please no more tejas players for the titans. please.

Scott Wright
12-16-2007, 08:56 PM
btw, a bit off topic, but anyone know where I can get Scott's player breakdown of Michael Johnson last year(safety from 'zona)

Here it is, I had him rated as a Two Star Prospect, i.e. a Mid-Rounder:

Michael Johnson
Height: 6-25/8 | Weight: 205 | 40-Time: 4.63

Strengths:
Has great size and a solid frame with long arms...A playmaker with good hands, instincts, ball skills and a nose for the ball...Very athletic and agile with excellent range...Reads and reacts well...Tough and physical with a good motor...Solid in run support and a good tackler...Strong...Still improving and has a lot of upside.

Weaknesses:
Does not have great timed speed...Too aggressive at times and will miss some tackles...Makes too many mental mistakes...Has some trouble disengaging from blocks...A little inconsistent and doesn't always play up to his talent...Has some minor durability concerns...Only two years of experience against top competition.

Notes:
Older brother, Reggie Brown, starred at Texas A&M and was a first round pick of the Detroit Lions in 1996...High profile junior college transfer who emerged when he sent a three-year starter to the bench late in the 2005 season...An all-around player whose stock is on the rise and definitely has starting potential in the pros.

Chris
12-16-2007, 08:56 PM
Was that a response to Scott's pick, or to my post about scott's pick?

I have said that I prefer DJ in the middle and to get a new SAM to replace Webster, who has been awful this year.

Gold isn't that bad, and we just signed Winborn to an extension right behind him.

It's a response to Scott.

Gold IS that bad, and was crucified in the end of the year discussions with Shanahan last year. He's out for the year (likely) and has been rumored to be on the axe for the past year. I have no doubt he will be garbage next season, and gotten rid of accordingly.

Rivers would be a WILL here, and a WILL only. DJ isn't moving back to SAM.

End of story. Period. You move DJ to SAM, and you have two voids to fill, not ONE.

scottyboy
12-16-2007, 09:13 PM
Here it is, I had him rated as a Two Star Prospect, i.e. a Mid-Rounder:

Michael Johnson
Height: 6-25/8 | Weight: 205 | 40-Time: 4.63

Strengths:
Has great size and a solid frame with long arms...A playmaker with good hands, instincts, ball skills and a nose for the ball...Very athletic and agile with excellent range...Reads and reacts well...Tough and physical with a good motor...Solid in run support and a good tackler...Strong...Still improving and has a lot of upside.

Weaknesses:
Does not have great timed speed...Too aggressive at times and will miss some tackles...Makes too many mental mistakes...Has some trouble disengaging from blocks...A little inconsistent and doesn't always play up to his talent...Has some minor durability concerns...Only two years of experience against top competition.

Notes:
Older brother, Reggie Brown, starred at Texas A&M and was a first round pick of the Detroit Lions in 1996...High profile junior college transfer who emerged when he sent a three-year starter to the bench late in the 2005 season...An all-around player whose stock is on the rise and definitely has starting potential in the pros.

you were spot on with that. His lack of elite speed frustrates me, but he was a steal in the 7th for us. great work, as usual Scott

Bobo
12-16-2007, 10:01 PM
I think that is more a matter of the Texas and Oklahoma offenses than anything else...

Physically Sweed and Kelly are very similar in terms of size and speed.

I thought they were both run 1st teams.

They're the same size, but Kelly looks a little more athletic and faster to me. I've seen their 40's listed about the same.

DiG
12-16-2007, 10:10 PM
the campbell pick to the skins is ok based on value but i still think we should draft o line over d line. part of that could be that i dont really like campbell or harvey.

bigboiajhawk
12-16-2007, 10:16 PM
Looking at the mock draft, Jonathon Stewart reminds me of stephen Jackson, both of them are big backs with wheels, and if this is how the draft plays out then both will have been late first round picks, i feel stewart is one of the more underatted prospects and if he falls that late, he is going to be a great pickup for an already good team.

junior2430
12-16-2007, 10:16 PM
It's a response to Scott.

Gold IS that bad, and was crucified in the end of the year discussions with Shanahan last year. He's out for the year (likely) and has been rumored to be on the axe for the past year. I have no doubt he will be garbage next season, and gotten rid of accordingly.

Rivers would be a WILL here, and a WILL only. DJ isn't moving back to SAM.

End of story. Period. You move DJ to SAM, and you have two voids to fill, not ONE.

The Winborn deal may be a sign Gold is out the door. That still doesn't change the void at SAM. Webster has played worse that Gold, and is a higher priority to replace.

So if we take Rivers and leave DJ in the middle, what do we do at SAM? We can't start next year with Webster there.

I'm not opposed to that so much, as Rivers is beast and would be an immediate upgrade over Gold.

picklefork
12-16-2007, 11:19 PM
Unless the Rams know for sure that Pace (still only 32) isnt going to be healthy in 2008 or if they decide to trade Barron.....there is no reason to take a OT with a top 3 pick...a guy who only plays if someone is hurt.

Sorry, but the Rams have so many needs on both sides of the ball...that they cant draft for depth,injury and what if.

They need to draft for immediate help and play makers.

If Haslett is back in 2008, he has talked about making the transition to the 3-4...in recent games the Rams have played more snaps at the 3-4 then they have the base 4-3.

If that is the case, Chris Long is the obvious choice...pair him up with Carriker at DE on the line in the 3-4...and you have a solid young duo who...throw in the surprise Clifton Ryan at NT and the lowly Rams have promise.

Love the site...but my draft day would be ruined if they take Jake Long...who in my mind isnt even the best OT in the draft.....

Flyboy
12-16-2007, 11:33 PM
Wow...if the Saints actually had a choice between Laurinaitis and Malcolm Jenkins, I would be absolutely giddy! You really can't go wrong with either although I might rate Jenkins slightly higher and slightly more of a need given our woes in the defensive secondary.

As would I, but there's something in me hoping that we can address getting a good FA CB which would let us select the BDPA.

TACKLE
12-16-2007, 11:41 PM
Theres not much difference between the two..they both are gonna be all pro left tackles

Joe Thomas is a lot more athletic than Jake Long. Although Long is extremely strong and a great run blocker, LT's need to be able to take on speed rushers. Long quickness isn't bad but he may struggle against guys like like Freeney, Umeniyora and Dumervil. Although I think Jake Long will be a very solid LT in the NFL for a long time, I believe that his athletism will make it hard for to become an elite, All-Pro LT.

Yung Flippa
12-16-2007, 11:41 PM
The Texans don't need Malcom Jenkins, they have Daunta Robinson and a emerging starter in Fred Bennett, Felix Jones, Jonathan Steward, Jeff Otah or Sam Baker are better options for them.

Yung Flippa
12-16-2007, 11:42 PM
I HATE, Brian Brohm to the Ravens personally, I think that if we go with QB it would be Andre Woodson, but I think in the end, we would pick Malcom Jenkins.

chrlopez1
12-16-2007, 11:43 PM
Scott,

So I guess you think Felix Scott is going to come out? I do think the boys will take him in round 1. Do you think he would last to the second pick in round 1?

diabsoule
12-17-2007, 12:03 AM
As would I, but there's something in me hoping that we can address getting a good FA CB which would let us select the BDPA.

Same here and I think we have a good shot at landing a FA CB. Our offseason needs haven't changed much from last year.

Flyboy
12-17-2007, 12:27 AM
With our luck, we'll draft DeSean Jackson. LOL. I can see it now.

Scott Wright
12-17-2007, 01:01 AM
The Texans don't need Malcom Jenkins, they have Daunta Robinson and a emerging starter in Fred Bennett, Felix Jones, Jonathan Steward, Jeff Otah or Sam Baker are better options for them.

Wow, where to start on that one.

1) Dunta Robinson just suffered a catastrophic injury.

2) Fred Bennett a "rising star". That might be the very definition of an exaggeration.

Scott Wright
12-17-2007, 01:01 AM
Scott,

So I guess you think Felix Scott is going to come out? I do think the boys will take him in round 1. Do you think he would last to the second pick in round 1?

If Jones comes out (I wouldn't if I were him) I doubt he'd last to the very end of round one. He's in the 15-25 range right now with the potential to even go a little higher.

bearsfan_51
12-17-2007, 02:10 AM
Wow, where to start on that one.

1) Dunta Robinson just suffered a catastrophic injury.

2) Fred Bennett a "rising star". That might be the very definition of an exaggeration.
Come on...with a name like Fred Bennett how can he not be a star?

bearsfan_51
12-17-2007, 02:12 AM
If Jones comes out (I wouldn't if I were him) I doubt he'd last to the very end of round one. He's in the 15-25 range right now with the potential to even go a little higher.
That's interesting because you previously had Mendenhall ranked higher than Jones. Is this a change in opinion?

Flyboy
12-17-2007, 02:36 AM
Damn, how bad was Dunta Robinson's injury?

Scott Wright
12-17-2007, 02:48 AM
That's interesting because you previously had Mendenhall ranked higher than Jones. Is this a change in opinion?

It's real close between them but they are different types of players and it depends on what you are looking for. Right now I'd probably but Jones at #3 behind McFadden and Stewart based on his versatility.

georgiafan
12-17-2007, 07:39 AM
I'm not sold on Matt Ryan, but alot of the experts are and everyone knows it's a position of need. Is it true about him not wanting to come to atlanta ?

DiG
12-17-2007, 08:24 AM
It's real close between them but they are different types of players and it depends on what you are looking for. Right now I'd probably but Jones at #3 behind McFadden and Stewart based on his versatility.

then what is your rationale for having jones come off the board before stewart? im one of the people that think stewart is vastly underrated and should be a top 15 pick but i think the combine will bring everyone to that opinion.

Is it because Jones is a better change of pace with Barber III?

London
12-17-2007, 09:41 AM
If that is how the draft goes down then I'm almost certain Fisher would choose Derrick Harvey for the Titans. We never go WR in round 1....and Harvey is too much of a freak type player for Fisher to resist.

Iamcanadian
12-17-2007, 09:50 AM

i really think it is going to come down to his 40 time. If he runs a 4.50 or faster, he is a sure 1st rounder, if he is slower then round 2 becomes more likely.

Iamcanadian
12-17-2007, 10:13 AM

People just don't get it. WR was never the problem in Atlanta. The problem was that Vick was so inaccurate that even if the WR was wide open, Vick couldn't hit him very often.

Iamcanadian
12-17-2007, 10:27 AM
I'd rather have Gholston than Jake Long. Does your sig disagree?

I agree. Michigan OLmen generally are at the top of their game with little room for growth. Long cannot really handle the smaller DE's that play for Cover 2 teams or the fast OLB's that play for 3-4 teams and blitz all the time.
The team that drafts Long will be a run first team which Long excels in. He is never going to be more than adequate as a pass blocker IMO. He would be an All Pro RT but at LT I feel his potential is just above average except as a run blocker where he is elite.
Gholston dominated Long the few times he lined up against him and that doesn't bode well for his future as an elite pass blocker in the NFL. Teams whose offense resolves around the pass will be reluctant to draft him IMO.

Diehard
12-17-2007, 10:40 AM
The Winborn deal may be a sign Gold is out the door. That still doesn't change the void at SAM. Webster has played worse that Gold, and is a higher priority to replace.

So if we take Rivers and leave DJ in the middle, what do we do at SAM? We can't start next year with Webster there.

Winborn is a backup. If we are relying on a LB corps of Winborn-DJ-Webster next year, it will be an ugly season.

Rivers is only an option if a) DJ stays at MLB, and b) Gold leaves. I'm not buying into the idea that Rivers can play the middle *at all*. We've had enough musical chairs with the LB corps - we need guys playing their natural positions.

Looking at the LB depth in this draft, I think we're better off looking for a weakside guy later in the draft, and address either SLB or MLB (depend on DJ's fit in the scheme) early.

CC.SD
12-17-2007, 12:32 PM
Scott - I think you really nailed the Raiders and Redskins picks- Ghoulston and Campbell, respectively, feel like very natural fits.

I understand the logic behind picking a first round defensive lineman for the Bolts, but the fact is Jamal Williams is still beasting it up, the Chargers window is open, and there are positions we need a new STARTER at. RT is the most obvious, unless there's a guard with a first round grade somewhere. Safety is also an issue, but I understand if the value isn't there. I don't see us passing on Cherilus, or any of the other highly regarded OTs for that matter.

Also Scott, I'm curious as to where in the draft you think Craig Steltz will ultimately end up. I like him as a player a lot; big hitter, great size and a leader. Obviously his timed speed will hurt him, but I can't help but think he and Eric Weddle might make a great safety duo.

iloxygenil
12-17-2007, 03:31 PM
This is the first I've heard of this... Source?

If it's true than Ryan's makeup grade goes down a notch in my book because that would be a ridiculously stupid statement to make at this point.
It was in a post game interview. The interviewer asked if he'd like Atlanta as a potential suitor(talking about playing there), he said no.

BeerBaron
12-17-2007, 03:34 PM
It was in a post game interview. The interviewer asked if he'd like Atlanta as a potential suitor(talking about playing there), he said no.

wow, that seems like a terrible thing to say...

not only is it stupid to tell off a team who might be picking you top 5 overall and handing you millions of dollars, it also makes you look bad because any QB who believes in himself should want to come into a losing franchise and be the reason for turning them around.

if i were in charge of a team, not even just the falcons, id be a little more reluctant to bring in a guy who acts like that.

Scotty D
12-17-2007, 03:35 PM
I still don't believe he said it.

ATLDirtyBirds
12-17-2007, 03:36 PM
People just don't get it. WR was never the problem in Atlanta. The problem was that Vick was so inaccurate that even if the WR was wide open, Vick couldn't hit him very often.

Don't mean to get away from the thread.. but this is just wrong. Roddy White has developed since we brought in one of the best WR coaches in the NFL, but Jenkins has stayed the same, and without Vick, Crumpler has gotten much much worse.

yourfavestoner
12-17-2007, 03:45 PM
So after the Jaguars fire Shack Harris in the offseason and likely hand more personnel duties to Jack Del Rio they're going to reach on another unpolished, athletic receiver that probably won't contribute that much, when the defensive line is in desperate need of depth. Riiight.

After RJ Soward, Reggie Williams, and Matt Jones, the Jaguars will probably never draft a receiver in the first round ever again.

Scott Wright
12-17-2007, 04:20 PM
I still don't believe he said it.

I guess I doubt it too...

junior2430
12-17-2007, 07:29 PM
Winborn is a backup. If we are relying on a LB corps of Winborn-DJ-Webster next year, it will be an ugly season.

Rivers is only an option if a) DJ stays at MLB, and b) Gold leaves. I'm not buying into the idea that Rivers can play the middle *at all*. We've had enough musical chairs with the LB corps - we need guys playing their natural positions.

Looking at the LB depth in this draft, I think we're better off looking for a weakside guy later in the draft, and address either SLB or MLB (depend on DJ's fit in the scheme) early.

Oh, I definetly agree. We can't go into a season with with those three. Ideally, we would upgrade both OLB spots. But the strong side is the higher priority, IMO. I do also think it's easier to find a good Will, but Rivers would be hard to pass on.

CC.SD
12-17-2007, 07:30 PM
Scott - I think you really nailed the Raiders and Redskins picks- Ghoulston and Campbell, respectively, feel like very natural fits.

I understand the logic behind picking a first round defensive lineman for the Bolts, but the fact is Jamal Williams is still beasting it up, the Chargers window is open, and there are positions we need a new STARTER at. RT is the most obvious, unless there's a guard with a first round grade somewhere. Safety is also an issue, but I understand if the value isn't there. I don't see us passing on Cherilus, or any of the other highly regarded OTs for that matter.

Also Scott, I'm curious as to where in the draft you think Craig Steltz will ultimately end up. I like him as a player a lot; big hitter, great size and a leader. Obviously his timed speed will hurt him, but I can't help but think he and Eric Weddle might make a great safety duo.

Hmm, some excellent thoughts! I hope that the very insightful expert Scott voices his opinion on these subjects whenever he has the time.

Chargers only have their 1st pick until the fifth round, afterall, and a guy, 6'2 325 Brandon McKinney, who has played very well behind Jamal.

BamaFalcon59
12-17-2007, 07:47 PM
For what it's worth I looked up Matt Ryan Atlanta on Google and some other people heard the remark that he doesn't want to play in Atlanta.

darnik44two
12-17-2007, 08:26 PM
Overall the mock doesn't look too bad at all, so good job. I did see some players in there I personally don't see as first round talents.
-Gosder Cherilus is not a first round talent in my eyes. Personally I think he'll wind up a late 2nd to 3rd round pick. He looks like a RT to me. One game in particular was the first BC, Virginia Tech game. Chris Ellis ate him alive. Ellis looks like a top 25 prospect to me. I'd swap him for Derrick Harvey in this mock.

-Ryan Clady looks like an early 2nd pick at best to me let alone a top 10 pick. Of all the top OT prospects he is the least technically sound of the bunch in my eyes. Once the combine is over I expect to start seeing Sam Baker back in the top 10 where he belongs, and don't count him out to be the first OT off the board.

-James Laureniatis is way over-rated by just about everyone. I really don't think he'll be able to play ILB in the NFL because he gets caught in traffic at the college level.

-I love Limas Sweed, but I'm not so sure he'll be part of the first round. Top 50 for sure though.

-I think Mario Manningham's hand have been too inconsistant to garner a first round grade. I see him sliding to atleast the middle of round 2.

-I don't get all the hype on Leodis McKelvin. His return abilities certainly play to his favor...I guess we'll see.

-Nice to see someone put Calais Campbell in the neighborhood of the draft he belongs. He might wind up falling even further. I can see him being this year's Alan Branch. Tons of talent with a questionable motor and work ethic.

-I'm 50/50 on Chris Long as a 3-4 DE. His size is borderline, but I'm not sure if I see his game translating to that position. I think the Jets will be all over Vernon Gholston as an OLB. Linebackers make or break a 3-4 defense.

-For the Bengals, I think the school is right but maybe not the player/pos. They are hurting big time for LB's, they had Geather a DE playing OLB. I think they would lean towards Keith Rivers.

-Where's Quentin Groves?

holt_bruce81
12-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Cant really complain about the Rams pick........I'm just in love with Chris Long and Vernon Gholston.

But, no doubt O-Line is a big need.

PossumBoy9
12-17-2007, 11:36 PM
Cant really complain about the Rams pick........I'm just in love with Chris Long and Vernon Gholston.

But, no doubt O-Line is a big need.

O-Line is a need, but not in the Top 3 with nobody really worthy of the pick there.

Chris Long or Gholston should be the pick for the Rams.

jetsfan0099
12-18-2007, 03:16 PM

I found a updated draft order, the Jets are ahead of the Falcons.
Pick: 1 Miami 1-13
Pick: 2 St. Louis 3-11
Pick: 3 NY Jets 3-11
Pick: 4 Atlanta 3-11
Pick: 5 San Francisco 4-10 [traded to New England]
Pick: 6 Baltimore 4-10 [subject to coin flip]
Pick: 7 Kansas City 4-10 [subject to coin flip]
Pick: 8 Oakland 4-10
Pick: 9 Cincinnati 5-9
Pick: 10 Chicago 5-9

Thats the top 10 right now

BeerBaron
12-18-2007, 03:43 PM
I found a updated draft order, the Jets are ahead of the Falcons.
Pick: 1 Miami 1-13
Pick: 2 St. Louis 3-11
Pick: 3 NY Jets 3-11
Pick: 4 Atlanta 3-11
Pick: 5 San Francisco 4-10 [traded to New England]
Pick: 6 Baltimore 4-10 [subject to coin flip]
Pick: 7 Kansas City 4-10 [subject to coin flip]
Pick: 8 Oakland 4-10
Pick: 9 Cincinnati 5-9
Pick: 10 Chicago 5-9

Thats the top 10 right now

the higher the bears climb the more and more i dread thier pick...i really dont want them to just take the quarterback of the "big 3" that falls through all of the teams in front of them. itll be another rex grossman/cade mcnown situation all over again.

id personally like them to use that pick on thier oline or some help on defense to replace what theyve been losing (and will be losing with briggs) while waiting until the 2nd or 3rd round to take a QB.

but the higher up they go the more likely it seems theyll take a QB....sigh

jetsfan0099
12-18-2007, 03:52 PM
the higher the bears climb the more and more i dread thier pick...i really dont want them to just take the quarterback of the "big 3" that falls through all of the teams in front of them. itll be another rex grossman/cade mcnown situation all over again.

id personally like them to use that pick on thier oline or some help on defense to replace what theyve been losing (and will be losing with briggs) while waiting until the 2nd or 3rd round to take a QB.

but the higher up they go the more likely it seems theyll take a QB....sigh

Wow if you guys some how got Jake Long.. I noticed that your o-line hasnt looked that good this year. Seems old.

BeerBaron
12-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Wow if you guys some how got Jake Long.. I noticed that your o-line hasnt looked that good this year. Seems old.

very old. I personally wouldn't complain if they spent thier whole first day nabbing some young new lineman. any qb can be made to look decent if hes behind a solid line.

Don Killuminati
12-18-2007, 06:50 PM
I guess I doubt it too...

"I guess I doubt..." Now that is a noncommittal statement in the truest form. :D

Scott Wright
12-18-2007, 07:00 PM
"I guess I doubt..." Now that is a noncommittal statement in the truest form. :D

I mean stranger things have happened but I would be real surprised if Matt Ryan was already burning bridges with a team that might be looking to give him $50 million in four months.

Babylon
12-18-2007, 07:36 PM
I would have to see a link to even entertain the idea that he would say that, he isnt stupid.