PDA

View Full Version : It's a ghost town around here...

PalmerToCJ
12-16-2007, 05:47 PM
I can understand why, I haven't been posting much because school/life and the Bengals sucking was a lethal combo for making me devote time elsewhere but it's time to start thinking draft and we actually have a high pick for the first time in a while (fortunately).

I haven't been analyzing the games much like I used to.... Mostly just getting depressed but the offenses lack of TD's is something that can be solved internally, no need for draft there.

In terms of defense there's a lot to be said.

A. We have no playmaker, we need one desperately. I don't see one on the team so that's via the draft.
B. We need linebackers that are half alive and have played with the team more than a week to be successful. Hopefully next year we get Odell/Pollack/Draft pick/Landon/Ahmad/Jeanty and have some form of depth even though most of them haven't played more than 2 games this year... They're talented at least.
C. Our safties just aren't getting the job done, Dexter has a good game once every blue moon and Madieu just isn't what he used to be which is unfortunate... I really thought he could be a pro bowler.
D. Our DE's need to produce, Geathers started off amazing and has really dissapointed me since. Dline isn't getting the job done which is obvious.
E. Peko is fine, he needs someone along side him. I know... I'm Mr. Obvious.
F. We MUST add an impact FA on the defensive side to provide LEADERSHIP/WINNING EXPERIENCE and lead this team.

So many problems, such little time. We really need to keep Stacy Andrews, that's my one wish for offense. With a healthy Irons/Rudi the RB situation is fine.

Bengals1690
12-16-2007, 06:09 PM
Health was our biggest issue.

PalmerToCJ
12-16-2007, 07:27 PM
I have to say some of the LB's have impressed me for what you'd expect out of them. Schlegel was good for more than I would've expected as is Dhani.

Scotty D
12-16-2007, 07:28 PM
I'm running the Bengals in the forum mock. Any suggestions? Picking #9.

rickscott
12-16-2007, 07:31 PM
First off, my pick at #9 would be Laurinitis as I think he is a leader and can start immediately. Then, pick up hefty DTs for the next 2 rds followed by another CB and then a TE .

We need LBers and players that don't get carried 5 yds down field every time they hit someone. I like Landon Johnson, but he is no NFL LBer unless he can meet a RB head on and put him down without being driven backwards every damn time. We do miss some guys due to injuries, but they have mad bad personnel moves, bad draft picks and bad overall coaching all adding up to a terrible defense. I venture to say that Shaun Smith who looked pretty darn good for the Browns today would be an improvement over all of our DTs aside from Peko. Losing Toeania is a very poor personnel decision this late in the year, especially as I heard that he came to the Bengals and said he wanted to stay here but they refused to elevate him to the roster I guess because a John Busing or a Bryan Robinson are too valuable to our future. I do think that Marvin looked totally lost and I wonder if he won't resign at years end. I think he is in over his head as a head coach.....without a GM to bounce things off of and maybe Mike Brown is being a hard head again. I think aside from Carson Palmer, this franchise would still be as it was in the Coslet days....and maybe from the looks of things, it is.

PalmerToCJ
12-16-2007, 07:36 PM
Shaun Smith really bothered me, he consistantly got penetration on pass rush and especially run downs. I told all the Browns fans he'd pay off, unfortunately I was correct.

Marvin won't be fired, that I'm sure of... Brown has stuck with worse through other times. I don't see him stepping down either.

Play calling has been questionable as well... See Pittsburgh, I think every play on offense was "Hey, run as fast as you can and I'll throw a bomb"... Never worked. I'm all for taking shots down field but that was a bit much.

There's really no magic fix for this team, I have absolutely no idea what to expect from them. I mean this year we had an easy schedule and absolutely bombed, even with injuries we should be better than this.

themaninblack
12-16-2007, 07:50 PM
good to see ya back. its been rough around here without ya

Mr. Stiller
12-16-2007, 09:56 PM
C. Our safties just aren't getting the job done, Dexter has a good game once every blue moon and Madieu just isn't what he used to be which is unfortunate... I really thought he could be a pro bowler.

I think thats a multi-faceted part.

Our secondary sucked ass last year.. this year our pass-rush is much improved and our Secondary is looking a lot better.

You get a talented bookend and possibly a UT to go next to Peko and that will make Williams' job much easier.. in fact he may look even better.

Look at Ed Reed.. the Games best safety.. what has he had nearly every year? One of the best, if not the best, passrushing team in the league. When you shut down the run and your team gets to the qb, that leads to bad throws and makes the safeties job easier. I'd say with a Gholston and a UT (Laws?) you Madeiu Williams will be right back.

lost33cause
12-16-2007, 10:23 PM
I think we need to take a page out of the top defense's in the nfl and say it all starts up front. I think we've been weak at the LB spot but that doesn't mean we lack talent there. Its been a mix of bad luck and bad character that's ruined that spot and we can't afford to spend top picks to fill up there when we have already done that in recent years. We'll just have to hope they come back and half of them don't get injured again. So after explaining the LB spot we then look at the weakest part on our defense which is the line. I think we need to add 2 top players there. I would love to pick up the DT oakland or haynsworth from the titans and then draft Calias Cambell, Vernon gholston(sp?), or Chris Long. I think with a top FA move and a top pick to the line it will make the other linemen look even better. I think our DT's should be picking up the double teams and not our one pass rushing DE like it has been. One thing is for sure though, if we don't address the DL problem don't expect the defense to get much better.

PalmerToCJ
12-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Well said Stiller.

Marvin seems to put stock in DE's and LB's, I don't think we'll take Kenny Phillips if his stock is at that point in the draft. He's always shyed away from DT's early but if he see's an Ellis as an impact guy then it might happen.

We should have a better idea after free agency as Madieu will be a UFA, if he's signed no chance for Phillips. If not then I think we go Phillips.

I'm happy with the line in terms of run stopping, I think any struggles we've had there relates to the LB's.

themaninblack
12-17-2007, 11:02 PM
with ahmad brooks on the field our defense is instantly better. the middle three players on any defense make the unit what it is and while we have one good DT and a good MLB(when healthy) we are still missing that piece which is a 1tech or UT. adding that will solve a lot of problems. i still think we need to add at least one more linebacker and our safety "troubles" are not due to madieu but rather a lack of pass rush and a lack of confidence in the opposite safety. i really would like to see us draft Erin Henderson from Maryland or a Dan Connor or James Laurinitis depending on our situation when were on the clock. I always like trading down in the 1st round(especially when we have a high pick) because i think teams put too much on having a high pick. we trade down and we are still in position for a good defensive player like a kenny phillips or a dan conner. i really would like to see Erin Henderson, im officially declaring him my fave pick for this year.

lost33cause
12-18-2007, 06:13 PM
What position and what is Erin Henderson good at.

BuckNaked
12-18-2007, 07:42 PM
Do you guys think Madieu Williams is a good starting safety?

Bengals1690
12-18-2007, 08:14 PM
good? yes. Great? no. It was kind of a down year for him, honestly.

gettembuck
12-18-2007, 10:55 PM
I am not sold on Perry or Irons as a RB for the future. But, Going with a DE would be my choice for #1. A trade down would also be great, but are hard to pull off.

The secondary will be OK, once we can get pressure up front. That is the key.

PalmerToCJ
12-18-2007, 11:55 PM
Man I really need to get updated on the college players, I don't watch much college football minus UK games so I'm always slow to figure things out.

I don't see the pick being anything but DE or LB. I like Jeanty and Ahmad but they both have health issues and other than that Landon is a VERY good backup LB but very average as a starter. Who knows with Odell and Pollack. We have to take/sign a LB and I don't see Justin Smith coming back. More than anything I think we just need a little luck at LB. We have one of the top TALENTED LB cores but none of them play so it does us no good.

Scotty D
12-18-2007, 11:57 PM
Bengals forum mock
My moves
Chad Johnson
for
Desmond Clark, TE
Lance Briggs, WLB

Malcom Floyd
for
6th rounder

Madieu Williams
for
4th

Draft
1.Kenny Phillips, FS
2.Shawn Crable, SLB

themaninblack
12-19-2007, 01:34 PM
What position and what is Erin Henderson good at.

Henderson is a LB from Maryland. He's EJ Henderson's younger brother and he's a great athlete with the size and speed you look for. he's a pretty well rounded talent from what ive seen.

themaninblack
12-19-2007, 01:37 PM
I am not sold on Perry or Irons as a RB for the future. But, Going with a DE would be my choice for #1. A trade down would also be great, but are hard to pull off.

The secondary will be OK, once we can get pressure up front. That is the key.

I think if either of the two is our future it's in Kenny Irons. Having both of them will be a huge boost next year and I honestly think Irons can handle the load and Perry can be a change up back if he can stay healthy. Its unfortunate what happened to Kenny, I really think he could've had a great year.

rickscott
12-19-2007, 03:24 PM
I think Eric Henderson has the ability to become a starter next year. If you were to look at his college stats along side of Mario Williams in their final college years, you would find that even tho they played in the same conference, Henderson had more sacks, tackles and TFL yet he went undrafted. This kid should have never been IRed with a fractured wrist the first week of camp. We searched fro LBers all year and if not for a rash decision, we probably had a good one here already.

PalmerToCJ
12-19-2007, 09:51 PM
I hope we keep Perry but I'm sure if it comes down to it Watson will say (along with Irons/Rudi) because he can actually stay healthy more than a few games a year.

themaninblack
12-19-2007, 11:47 PM
I think Eric Henderson has the ability to become a starter next year. If you were to look at his college stats along side of Mario Williams in their final college years, you would find that even tho they played in the same conference, Henderson had more sacks, tackles and TFL yet he went undrafted. This kid should have never been IRed with a fractured wrist the first week of camp. We searched fro LBers all year and if not for a rash decision, we probably had a good one here already.

I agree with this completely. I have always admired the way he plays the game(even if he was a yellow jacket) and he gave the dawgs fits every year they played him. i was very happy when we gave him a shot as an UDFA. hes a very good football player who could be a huge steal if he plays anything like he did in the preseason at linebacker. When Shaun Smith called him the next Adalius Thomas I was quite skeptical because I didn't think he was that type of athlete but he has been impressive everytime ive seen him(granted it was preseason.) Wouldn't be surprised at all if the bengals didn't even draft a linebacker and gave him his shot. And i also wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to be a great player for us.

EDIT: The only reason henderson was an UDFA in the first place was because he was injured almost his entire senior year. He wouldn't have been a very high pick because he was a pretty undersized DE but he definitely would have been taken on the first day if that had not been the case.

lost33cause
12-21-2007, 07:32 PM
Bengals forum mock
My moves
Chad Johnson
for
Desmond Clark, TE
Lance Briggs, WLB

Malcom Floyd
for
6th rounder

Madieu Williams
for
4th

Draft
1.Kenny Phillips, FS
2.Shawn Crable, SLB

Williams is a FA and can't be traded....
We won't draft a safety in the first. We have enough young guys in the secondary as is.
I would be ok with that trade with CJ but don't see it happening. Pretty sure the cap hit will be too much.
No clue who Floyd is and you overall have too many trades.