PDA

View Full Version : Newly updated draft order - rough guess

weasel
12-17-2007, 11:54 AM
1) Miami - Glenn Dorsey DT - Dorsey instantly makes Miami better defensively. The offense needs work , too, but Ronnie Brown is not so significantly injured to justify the McFadden pick. If I was Miami, I'd draft McFadden and trade Brown, fortunately for Miami, I remain a non-entity in the front office of the Miami Dolphins.

2) St. Louis - Jake Long OT - Orlando Pace has been injured for significant portions of the last two years and eventually he will retire. Steven Jackson is a very happy guy when Pace returns and Jake long is his bookend. Long provides depth, power and value for 10-15 years and value is the key. Bulger may be the only guy happier than Steven Jackson. It's not a sexy pick but sexy picks do not win Super Bowls.

3) Atlanta - Darren McFadden RB - Any pick made here would be right and wrong for many reasons. This team suffered through an identity crisis after Michael Vick was prosecuted. They need a new identity and get it by selecting the #1 talent in the draft. Petrino jumped a sinking ship. In fairness to him he did not get what he bargained for but he showed no conviction to his employer by bolting for the college ranks. Ugh! Did I really use the word conviction in a sentence concerning Atlanta?
4) New York Jets - Vernon Gholsten DE - this guy is just a beast and I think the Jets need his presence on the defensive side of the ball. He will vie with Chris Long to be the first DE off the board. Again, a bunch of people will disagree with the pick itself at DE or Gholsten but ...

5) New England (via San Fran.) - James Laurenaitis MLB - An interesting dilemna facing the Patriots. Should they grab Chris Long or James Laurenaitis? This team essentially has no great needs. New England has a luxury and they select their defensive leader for the next decade.

6) Kansas City - Jeff Otah OT- Do the powers that be believe in Brodie Croyle? They will give it one more year as they rebuild the O-line hit hard by retirement. Otah has taken a quantum leap up the board and is more powerful than other candidates for this slot.

7) Oakland - Chris Long DE - A legacy pick, and a great value. The Raiders fans might bemoan this pick but in later years they will wonder why anyone ever questioned it. A chip off the old block serves the silver and black well.
8) Baltimore - Matt Ryan QB - Top QB in this years draft slipping to #8 overall and the Ravens couldn't be happier. The Kyle Boller era is over. The Matt Ryan era has just begun. This is a good organization that needs a break on offense to get through . They have had no luck with WR or QB to this point and a RB also remains a need. I don't buy they need a CB and a DE for this defense which remains one of the better units in football.

9) Cincinnati - Sedrick Ellis DT - the football deity is smiling on Cincinnati once again and the Bengals pick up a DT to shore up the D-line of a unit that needs to be rebuilt. The draft could not have fallen any better for the Bengals unless of course they lose Justin Smith to free agency.

10) Chicago - Brian Brohm QB - The Bears will not get a better opportunity to upgrade the QB position. If they stand pat at QB they could choose DeSean Jackson or an OL here, but as I see and hear it, the Bears want a QB to replace Grossman.
11) Arizona - Malcolm Jenkins CB - Three Buckeyes in the top 11 picks and now anyone with questions can see why they have played in the NC game and have beaten the snot out of nearly all their opponents. Arizona gets the best corner in the draft.

12) Denver - Kenny Phillips S - Denver needs better safety play and they get it by plugging in a safety from Miami. You could not ask for a better fix and the Broncos should be ecstatic.

13) Carolina - Andre Woodson QB - The Panthers elect to build for the future and select a QB with major upside. They could go in a number of direction like Reggie Smith or Ryan Clady but Smith is a reach and the draft is deep at OT so Woodson gets the nod.

14) Detroit - Ryan Clady OT - The Lions need help everywhere and there are those among the pitiful, er, uh, I mean the faithful, that would want them to start elsewhere. Face it Lions fans your OL is disgraceful. A strong contingent would opt for Calais Campbell here. I am one of them but I see the Lions selecting Clady.
15) Philadelphia - Calais Campbell DE - Eagles fans may want secondary help and I would argue if the opposing QB is running for his life then you are better in the secondary no matter who is playing back there. Calais Campbell may end up going much higher and the Eagles can barely contain their enthusiasm.

16) New Orleans - Dan Connor LB - He can play all three LB positions but the Saints will start him in the middle. There are other options but the LB'ing corps is ridiculously thin in New Orleans.

17) Buffalo - Malcolm Kelly CB WR - this pick is a no brainer for Buffalo as they continue to build the offense. They seem to have settled on Trent Edwards, Marshawn Lynch and Lee Evans. Getting a possession receiver with Kelly's skills will make them a top offense once again. Marv Levy makes do with another Kelly. Just beautiful.

18) Houston - Sam Baker OT - The franchise left tackle this team has been looking for just fell into their laps. There is argument for Jonathon Stewart but waiting on a team sore spot for years will not make the fans any happier. Draft day may not seem great with an OL pick but Baker is a good LT and this franchise has lacked one since it's inception.

19) Washington - Reggie Smith S addresses a spot aching to be filled. A top DE not being available, the Redskins fill Sean Taylor's spot with an exceptional safety prospect.

20) Dallas (via Cleveland) - Mike Jenkins CB - The 'boys address the secondary with their first pick in round one.

21) Tennessee - DeSean Jackson WR - These guys need a playmaker in the receiving corps and this guy fills the bill. He is the best playmaker in the draft at this point. I prefer bigger receivers but the Titans are delighted to get Jackson.
22) Minnesota - Michael Oher OT - For the Vikings, WR is the number one need but rebuilding the right side of the OL is good for AP and good for AP is good for the NFL. Whether he plays guard or tackle is not relevant, this is one powerful man added to a good OL. I can see AP smiling from here.

23) Seattle - Jonathon Stewart RB - Oregon's fans will have a short drive to see him. Seattle addresses the need at RB after the season of decline from Alexander. Good teams like Seattle address needs before they become a problem.
24) Pittsburgh - Gosder Cherilous OT - Max Starks defection and Alan Faneca's looming departure means the Steeler's will have to retool the OL. This is a giant step in that direction for the Steelers.

25) Tampa Bay - Adarius Bowman WR - Tampa Bay needs to help the offense out a little. An OL choice here is not out of the question but someone to help Galloway goes a long way toward fixing gruden's offense. So would a QB. (Or James Hardy or Mario Urrutia).

26) New York Giants - Chris Williams OT - The G-man need a tackle and a WR and well you get the picture. Eli has not become the dominant QB the Giants envisioned. they really need a WR to replace Toomer. Do they take a chance on James Hardy or Douglass or Manningham?

27) San Diego - Antoine Cason CB - San Diego must get better at CB and here is an excellent opportunity.

28) Jacksonville - Joe Flacco QB - Jacksonville is close and Garrard leading this offense is just not acceptable. Agib Talib would have been a great addition but Jacksonville cannot go into another season with Garrard as the number one and really only option.
29) Green Bay - Rashard Mendenhall RB - Green Bay adds another piece to the puzzle.

30) San Francisco (via Indy) - Mario Manningham WR - helping out Smith is the #1 priority and Manningham jumps the college ranks early predicated by the Rich Rodriguez hire. SF gets a top 15 talent that might be a year away from maturity.
31) Dallas - Kentwan Balmer DT - The Cowboys select defense again and shore up the DL.

32) New England (forfeited)

georgiafan
12-17-2007, 11:58 AM
love the atlanta pick

DiG
12-17-2007, 12:01 PM
terrible redskins pick. we dont need a first round safety. doughty has played decent enough and we will probably look to bring in someone like madaeu williams or mike doss in FA. we have much bigger needs in the trenches for the draft. if the top dlineman are gone then we will look at offensive line.

drowe
12-17-2007, 12:26 PM
draft started out ok, but REALLY fell apart at the end.

-it's JOE Flacco, not Don.
-Most will tell you that David Garrard is very much the future in Jacksonville
-Mario Urrutia in the first round isn't realistic.

-most Packer fans will not be happy with a running back selection...i am not one of 'em. if the value is there, why the F not

princefielder28
12-17-2007, 12:30 PM
You say Mendenhall adds another piece but the puzzle in the backfield is complete

drowe
12-17-2007, 12:45 PM
You say Mendenhall adds another piece but the puzzle in the backfield is complete

i have to disagree with this. while Grant has been a stud for the last few weeks, we've also seen what the backfield is like without him (as it took half the season to give him any playing time) and during the time Grant was on the bench, our running game was non existent. I'm not saying RB is a first round need, but if the value is there (and with Mendenhall, the value would be there) it'd be worth a look. depth at running back is very important as RBs that play 16 games taking the lion's share of the carries are pretty rare. If Grant has to miss time next year, i don't trust Jackson/Wynn/Morency to bail out the ground attack. Plus, Grant had one part of one good season. I'm not quite ready to annoint him saviour yet.

bearsfan_51
12-17-2007, 12:55 PM
David Garrard is having an MVP-like season. That you would consider the year he's having "unacceptable" is mind-boggling.

DiG
12-17-2007, 01:01 PM
David Garrard is having an MVP-like season. That you would consider the year he's having "unacceptable" is mind-boggling.

i hope you mean jaguars team mvp not league mvp.

bearsfan_51
12-17-2007, 01:14 PM
i hope you mean jaguars team mvp not league mvp.
He's got a 16/2 TD-INT ratio. In a year where tons of people are having tremendous seasons he obviously has no chance, but you can't ask for much more than that.\

Also, get rid of your sig. Campaign slogans are obviously political and thus not allowed.

weasel
12-17-2007, 01:16 PM
what you want. It's amazing he has a mind to boggle. It's obvious he likes reading his own words. Garrard is an OK QB but the Jaguars are going to need something other than what they have at QB and I don't think they even have a decent backup so say what you want to about the pick, #1 I don't believe your MVP statement and I think you will find some who would like to upgrade at QB if you went to their board. #2 While I haven't seen him play yet I have read several scouting reports and like what I hear. I wavered on a CB or an OL but I thought they could get value in the second and third at both positions.

bored of education
12-17-2007, 01:17 PM
OMGGGGG where is Jordy Nelson!

drowe
12-17-2007, 01:29 PM
random question...how the hell did david garrard ever get drafted (in the 4th round)? he's only 6' 1 and had mediocre stats for a mediocre college in a non bcs conference...for the life of me, i can't see what teams saw in him

sorry to get off topic, but this mock obviously isn't worth discussing and the mock maker obviously isn't open to constructive criticizm.

Bills2083
12-17-2007, 02:19 PM
Good pick for Buffalo

DiG
12-17-2007, 02:40 PM
He's got a 16/2 TD-INT ratio. In a year where tons of people are having tremendous seasons he obviously has no chance, but you can't ask for much more than that.\

Also, get rid of your sig. Campaign slogans are obviously political and thus not allowed.

dont get me wrong hes having a great year but its just not close to good enough to be put in the same league as tom brady, randy moss, favre, or romo the **** when it comes to mvp talk.

BaLLiN
12-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Giants explanation is the most ******** thing i've ever seen, you talk about OT and WR, where we really don't need immediate help, and don't ever talk about the defensive side of the ball. We need CB, OLB, then S on Defense. Cason, Reggie Smith, or Keith Rivers would be the picks if available IMO.

fenikz
12-17-2007, 03:38 PM
Good Cardinals pick, he is #1 on my BB

The Unseen
12-17-2007, 04:34 PM
what you want. It's amazing he has a mind to boggle. It's obvious he likes reading his own words. Garrard is an OK QB but the Jaguars are going to need something other than what they have at QB and I don't think they even have a decent backup so say what you want to about the pick, #1 I don't believe your MVP statement and I think you will find some who would like to upgrade at QB if you went to their board. #2 While I haven't seen him play yet I have read several scouting reports and like what I hear. I wavered on a CB or an OL but I thought they could get value in the second and third at both positions.

I go to "their board." No posters that I know of there want an upgrade at the position, minus trolls. There are some, though, who would probably be in favor of drafting a mid round QB.

Giving the Jaguars a first round QB is completely misinformed...to put it nicely.

bearsfan_51
12-17-2007, 05:12 PM
Weasel took a nice week long vacation, for those of you expecting immediate responses.

regoob2
12-17-2007, 05:17 PM
I'm not a huge Brohm guy especially in the top 10. I haven't heard a lot of bears fans calling for brohm I dont no where you did but i would prefer Clady in that scenario.

yodabear
12-17-2007, 05:30 PM
Can't really complain about the Rams pick, I mean it is pretty impossible to **** up their pick.

Yung Flippa
12-17-2007, 08:56 PM
Soild Ravens and Texans picks

JagHombre22
12-17-2007, 09:32 PM
saying Garrard is having a horrible season and is not the answer is just completely ignorant...

I would be very open to the Jags drafting a mid-round QB...we need help like DE, OT, CB, WR...definitely not QB...

DaBear89
12-18-2007, 02:59 AM
no way bears go QB if Clady/Phillips/Loadholt are available. grossman may or may not be back but the top end T talent is better the the top end QB talent this year and with guys like Ainge very likely to be there at our 2nd its too hard to pass on a LT so Tait can move back to RT. plus i like Clady/Ainge more than Brohm/Richardson(??).

Young Legend
12-18-2007, 10:55 AM
great raider pick

Don Killuminati
12-20-2007, 05:46 AM
Why would Raider fans "bemoan" such an ideal pick?

urinemonkey
12-20-2007, 08:03 AM
12)Denver Kenny Phillips S - Denver needs better safety play and they get it by plugging in a safety from Miami. You could not ask for a better fix and the Broncos should be ecstatic.

damn straight, the perfect pick

28) Jacksonville - Joe Flacco QB - Jacksonville is close and Garrard leading this offense is just not acceptable. Agib Talib would have been a great addition but Jacksonville cannot go into another season with Garrard as the number one and really only option.

Not that I'm a Jaguars fan, but dude, where have you been? Garrard has been playing great football. Also, they do have a solid backup in Quinn Gray. I can't see them taking Flacco or any other QB here. They could go DE like Derrick Harvey or Lawrence Jackson. I think that's more plausible.

skinzzfan25
12-20-2007, 01:33 PM
terrible redskins pick. we dont need a first round safety. doughty has played decent enough and we will probably look to bring in someone like madaeu williams or mike doss in FA. we have much bigger needs in the trenches for the draft. if the top dlineman are gone then we will look at offensive line.

I agree, terrible Redskin mock.