PDA

View Full Version : Phillip Merling

SenorGato
12-17-2007, 04:11 PM
What I know about him is that he's big and he might be fast.

Beyond that, nothing else.

Can he handle a position in the 3-4? He's got the Merriman body-type, but I highly doubt the guy is that athletic.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=58111

NFLDScout has his best 40 time (I'm guessing from the spring) at 4.63, which is amazing at 272. Thats Merriman-esque, which is why I have trouble buying it.

Anyway, thoughts on this guy?

P-L
12-17-2007, 04:14 PM
I think this guy is one of the more underrated players in the country. Campbell, Gholston, and Harvey get all the hype, but this guy isn't far behind at all. I think if he declares, he's going to be a 1st Round pick.

SenorGato
12-17-2007, 04:22 PM
I think this guy is one of the more underrated players in the country. Campbell, Gholston, and Harvey get all the hype, but this guy isn't far behind at all. I think if he declares, he's going to be a 1st Round pick.

Yea, he seems like the type. He's one of those guys who has a chance to really blow people away at the combine.

What do you think of him as a 3-4 DE/OLB?

foozball
12-17-2007, 04:25 PM
i think he's in the late 1st-early 2nd round area but could solidify a first round grade with a good combine. he's listed at 6'5 280lbs at clemson's website, so thats a bit big for a 3-4 LB. seems like hed be better off as a 4-3 DE.

London
12-17-2007, 04:26 PM
I think he is a great player. Has body type of Michael Strahan and is v good against the run. Could be an Aaron Kampman type player at best.

Definitely don't see him as an olb, he isn't that explosive and I think he will time slower. He would be a great left end or could bulk up to play in 3-4

TACKLE
12-17-2007, 06:28 PM
I think he is a great player. Has body type of Michael Strahan and is v good against the run. Could be an Aaron Kampman type player at best.

Definitely don't see him as an olb, he isn't that explosive and I think he will time slower. He would be a great left end or could bulk up to play in 3-4

Definitely agree with that. I think that if he finishes the season well and does good combine/workouts he could pass Harvey as the 4th DE in the draft and would compete with Chris Ellis for the 3rd spot. His production has been alright this year with 6.5 sacks and 12 TFL. Not eye-popping but not bad. I think he could get a look by a couple teams in the late first.

Mr. Stiller
12-17-2007, 06:43 PM
i think he's in the late 1st-early 2nd round area but could solidify a first round grade with a good combine. he's listed at 6'5 280lbs at clemson's website, so thats a bit big for a 3-4 LB. seems like hed be better off as a 4-3 DE.

I don't know his triangle #'s.. But there are quite a few people that believe he'll run a faster 40 than Derrick Harvey.

He's said to hit around a high 4.6 and mid to low 4.7. Thats certainly athletic for a 3-4 OLB. Imagine if he lost about 10-15lbs.. he'd be a monster. Merling is my favorite propsect for 3-4 OLb in the draft.

D-Unit
12-17-2007, 06:51 PM
It seems like everytime Toonster mentions a player in the first round of a mock that nobody even has a clue on, the next thing we see is a thread that pops up on the player and guys saying how good and underrated he has been all along.

Mr. Stiller
12-17-2007, 06:53 PM
It seems like everytime Toonster mentions a player in the first round of a mock that nobody even has a clue on, the next thing we see is a thread that pops up on the player and guys saying how good and underrated he has been all along.

I haven't seen toonsters mock. I've liked Merling all year, I just figured he wouldn't be coming out.. with him checking his draft stock, I think he might bolt. I'm excited.

SenorGato
12-17-2007, 06:56 PM
Didn't see a Toonster mock.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-17-2007, 08:25 PM

I don't know, Merling even got some talk on this forums last season and has been in the draft mix for a while now (if I recall, even sports illustrated did something on him).

I like Merling, but I've never really thought of him as a 3-4 linebacker. When he played opposite Gaines Adams, he always seemed to be the big bruiser. If he really manages a time in the mid 4.6 range and does decent in the linebacker drills, I could see some team utilizing him that way I suppose.

themaninblack
12-17-2007, 10:47 PM
everytime i watch him im very impressed with his all around play. i'd be really surprised if he runs a sub 4.7 but i wouldnt count it out.

etk
12-17-2007, 10:52 PM
I haven't seen toonsters mock. I've liked Merling all year, I just figured he wouldn't be coming out.. with him checking his draft stock, I think he might bolt. I'm excited.

That's basically my feelings toward him. Sometimes you forget about good players until their names pop up.

junior2430
12-17-2007, 11:28 PM
Merling would be great as a 3-4 LB.

urinemonkey
12-17-2007, 11:50 PM
is he as good as Gaines Adams?

junior2430
12-18-2007, 12:05 AM
Speed wise no, but he's better against the run, and still fast enough to rush the passer. My only concern about him would be how he is in coverage.

London
12-18-2007, 07:23 AM
Merling has been dropping into coverage last few games. I haven't seen him recently but read that he has dropped 10lbs through the year which helped his agility and also reduced his body fat. I think he has the potential to be an elite end, I really do. If he declares then I would be delighted if the Titans took him - Merling has a really good speed/strength ratio