PDA

View Full Version : The Best Damn Mock in the Land! 1st rounder with explanations

packer_pat_4
12-18-2007, 01:09 PM
1 Miami- Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas*- Other options are Dorsey (injury problems, does he fit scheme?), Chris Long (#1 money on a 3-4 end?), Jake Long (#1 money on a likely right tackle?), or Matt Ryan (John Beck taken early last year, value not there). Run DMC Makes the most sense

2 St. Louis- Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU- Jake Long is the other option here, but the Defense is a bigger problem than the O. Dorsey has better value, and this allows the Rams to shift Carriker back to DE. Their DLine might finally start shaping up.

3 New York Jets- Chris Long, DE, Virginia- Perfect fit for Mangini’s 3-4 Defense. Other options here would be the other Long, but RT is not worth it, and Gholston. I had a tough time between VG and Long, but Long has better value.

4 Atlanta- Matt Ryan, QB, BC- The Falcons almost certainly are going QB, and Ryan is #1 on most people boards. This franchise is starting over, and starting with a strong armed and smart QB with great size is a good way to try and get back to respectability.

5 New England (fr. SF)- Vernon Gholston, DE/OLB, OSU*- This allows Adalius Thomas to go back inside while injecting some youth into the ancient Pats Linebacking corps. I figure if they won’t pay Asante top dollar, they sure won’t pay one of the Jenkins top dollar either. Laurinaitis isn’t as good as Gholston is, and Long doesn’t fit an immediate need.

6 Baltimore- Andre’ Woodson, QB, Kentucky- One of the Jenkins’ is another option here, but lets get real. The offense is pathetic. Steve McNair is pathetic, and Kyle Boller is a career back-up. Start over with a new QB.

7 Kansas City- Jake Long, OT, Michigan- The O-Line isn’t what it once was. The Cheifs used to be at the top of the league standings routinely. The reason? Great run game and good protection. Long has fantastic value and fits a need. They seem to have faith in Croyle (for some odd reason) but I wouldn’t put a QB out of the question

8 Oakland- Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC- By the time of the draft he could be ahead of Dorsey. Some already believe he is. He has great value here, and fills a need.

9 Cincinnati- James Laurinaitis, ILB, OSU- The defense is a disaster. Laurinaitis brings leadership, intangibles, and a full set of athletic skills to a just plain awful unit.

10 Chicago- Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville- As bas as the OLine has been, a QB is a must if one of the Big 3 is on the board. Other options include Kenny Phillips, Ryan Clady, DeSean Jackson, and Jonathon Stewart.

11 Arizona- Calais Campbell, DE, Miami*- Can make the transition into Whisenhunts 3-4, and gives the Cards a huge presence on the outside of their front 7

12 Denver-Kenny Phillips, S, Miami*- Makes too much sense. They can’t stop the run, and the OLine is bad, but Phillips fills a need and has excellent value. Too good to pass up

13 Carolina- Ryan Clady, OT, BSU*- Potential to be a franchise tackle. With no QB’s having value, and Kenny Phillips gone, the Panthers look to shore up an OLine that will be hit hard with free agency.

14 Detroit- Malcolm Jenkins, CB, OSU*- Everyone can pass on the Lions. They need a guy in that secondary that QB’s actually fear. Either of the Jenkins would work here, as would a ILB and OT, but Malcolm offers the best value at this point.

15 Philadelphia- DeSean Jackson, WR, Cal*- The Eagles don’t know what to do with their offense. The QB position is a mess, the OLine is questionable, and the receivers are mediocre. One way to fix an offense is by giving them good field position (KR) and by having a guy lining up who can stretch the field. Jackson fills a need and has nice value in the middle of round 1.

16 New Orleans- Keith Rivers, OLB, USC- Tough call here. Secondary or linebacker? I went with Rivers at OLB. Mike Jenkins would be good here, but they spent money through the draft and free agency last year at CB and it seems they neglect LB every year. Something has got to give, and with Rivers on the board it makes sense to grab him.

17 Buffalo- Malcolm Kelly, WR, OU*- Nice compliment to Lee Evans, and gives a young Trent Edwards another weapon. Kelly could challenge to be the #1 WR off the board, and a #2 receiver is probably the Bills biggest need. This one makes too much sense.

18 Houston- Jonathon Stewart, RB, Oregon*- Stewart has the triangle numbers to be considered a top 10 pick. In this scenario he falls, and the Texans grab him since Ahman Green is ancient and Ron Dayne is a back-up. A good way to to relieve pressure off of whoever is QB, is by having a sound running game and Stewart should help in that department. Mike Jenkins, who is falling in this scenario, and an OT like Otah would also make sense.

19 Washington-Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida*- Good speed rusher, to bring some depth to the position. Last year many people had the Skins taking a lineman with their top pick, but they took Landry instead. Other options would be a receiver, some help in the secondary, or an OT.

20 Tennessee- Mario Manningham, WR, Michigan*- He came on big time at the end of this year. If he rides that momentum into this years draft, look for Mario to be a 1st round pick. Tennessee is desperate for a WR and MM would slide in nicely to a terrible rotation of receivers down in Tennessee.

21 Minnesota- Jeff Otah, OT, Pitt- Ryan Cook is garbage as a RT. Shoring up that right side would do wonders for Tavares Jackson. A receiver or DE would also make sense but the value is not there. Otah would be a great pick for the Viqueens.

22 Seattle- Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois*- Shaun Alexander is old and unproductive. Mendenhall could bring a running game to an O that has relied heavily on Matt Hasselbeck’s arm. OLine, TE, and DT would all make sense as well, but Mendenhall would be the best fit in this scenario.

23 Dallas (fr. CLE)- Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas*- Much has been made about Jerry Jones ties to Arkansas and how he covets Darren McFadden because of this. What about Felix? He has been projected to be a 1st rounder if he comes out and he would be that absolute perfect compliment to Marion Barber.

24 Pittsburgh- Duke Robinson, OG, OU*- Fills a big time need. Some may question the value but I feel Duke will be a first rounder if he comes out. He is a mountain of a man, and should help shore up that depleted Steelers OLine.

25 Tampa Bay- Mike Jenkins, CB, USF – What a fall! Im surprised he fell this far in my mock, and I doubt he lasts this long come April. If he does fall, the Bucs should be happy to pick him up. The CB’s are getting old and not much depth exists behind them. The value here is amazing, so even if it isn’t the biggest need, the Bucs would have to be happy in this scenario

26 New York Giants- Dan Connor, LB, PSU- The secondary is a bigger problem, but Connor’s value here is too good. The linebackers leave a lot be desired. I don’t have Reggie Smith coming out for those wondering, while Cason and Talib wont grade out as high Connor will. This is a tough call, but I went with the value of Connor.

27 San Diego- Sam Baker, OT, USC- Other options here included Kentwan Balmer, Thomas DeCoud, and Jasper Brinkley(Im not sold on Erin Henderson declaring or where his stock even lies). Those guys are not consensus first rounders like Baker. Baker can step in at right tackle and give the Chargers the potential to have a top OLine for the next 10 years.

28 Jacksonville- Lawrence Jackson, DE, USC- Hear me out. The Jags have been notorious for reaching on draft day. Lawrence Jackson fills a huge need on the Defense, and has great potential. Other options were Talib, Sweed, and Chris Williams, but I can see Jacksonville reaching for need.

29 Green Bay- Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona- We all know the CB’s are old and little depth exists behind them. Cason should go much higher then this but the Packers should be happy to have him. He can play as the nickleback for a year or two before stepping in as a starter. As a bonus, he has safety potential, another area of need for Green Bay. Good value and he fills a need. Makes too much sense.

30 San Francisco (fr. IND)- Limas Sweed, WR, Texas- I am trusting Scott when he says he believes Sweed is a first rounder. I think the 49ers give Alex Smith one more year to prove himself, but he will be on a short leash. If they give him some weapons maybe he will actually amount to something (doubtful). Other options were Balmer, Groves, and Okam.

31 Dallas- Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas*-Some secondary depth would be nice. Talib has nice value, fills a need, and has an exciting style of play which could translate into some snaps on O, some returns on special teams, and a role as the Cowboys nickel or dime back for a couple of years. Kentwan Balmer was also strongly considered as were the receivers still on the board.

32 New England- FOREFEITED

scar988
12-18-2007, 01:28 PM
Falcons will not go with a QB in the first roudn as none are worth a top 5 pick. ZERO zip, nada. we go with OT Jake Long there.

Yung Flippa
12-18-2007, 01:31 PM
Good Ravens & Texans picks

packer_pat_4
12-18-2007, 01:33 PM
Falcons will not go with a QB in the first roudn as none are worth a top 5 pick. ZERO zip, nada. we go with OT Jake Long there.

How can you be so certain? I remember hearing about the Falcons already scouting QB's for the first round of the draft, but maybe I am mistaken.... but I find it a little ridiculous to dismiss the notion of the Falcons taking a QB.
As well Matt Ryan has been ranked as a top 5 pick, example- our very own Scott Wright. He fits a monstrous need and though it may be a reach(debatable), teams that absolutely blow balls, and are starting over often go with the top QB to start a rebuilding process. Matt Ryan is a legitimate option.

DiG
12-18-2007, 01:34 PM
"19 Washington-Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida*- Good speed rusher, to bring some depth to the position. Last year many people had the Skins taking a lineman with their top pick, but they took Landry instead. Other options would be a receiver, some help in the secondary, or an OT."

This is an awful fit for the Redskins. Harvey does not have the size to play opposite of Andre Carter in Greg Williams system. We would get eaten a live in the run game.

bearsfan_51
12-18-2007, 01:35 PM
How can you be so certain?
Is this the first time you've read one of Scar's posts?

bearsfan_51
12-18-2007, 01:38 PM
By the way, this is a very nice mock, but I doubt Duke Robinson comes out. He's really got to work on his technique in pass blocking, which is something scouts will (and likely have) grilled him on. If you draft a guard in the 1st round you're going to want him to start right away and Robinson is not ready to do that.

scar988
12-18-2007, 01:40 PM
How can you be so certain? I remember hearing about the Falcons already scouting QB's for the first round of the draft, but maybe I am mistaken.... but I find it a little ridiculous to dismiss the notion of the Falcons taking a QB.
As well Matt Ryan has been ranked as a top 5 pick, example- our very own Scott Wright. He fits a monstrous need and though it may be a reach(debatable), teams that absolutely blow balls, and are starting over often go with the top QB to start a rebuilding process. Matt Ryan is a legitimate option.
MAtt Ryan has also been quoted about saying no thanks to playing in atlanta. Atlanta won't waste a pick on a guy who doesn't want to be here. And MAtt Ryan isn't a legit option. While we do need a QB, we don't need to REACH for one. we need to take the BPA at the pick no matter what, which is what we do already, which would be JAKE LONG. And guess what? LT is also a HUGE need. it's bigger than just QB because it affects both the pass and the run game. Long would be the pick. nice try though. but it makes much more sense to take Long, than waste a pick on a reach who doesn't want to be here.

packer_pat_4
12-18-2007, 01:45 PM
Did Matt Ryan actually say he didnt want to play in Atlanta? If he did- wow. Thats really dumb.

scar988
12-18-2007, 01:47 PM
Did Matt Ryan actually say he didnt want to play in Atlanta? If he did- wow. Thats really dumb.

yeah, he said "no thanks" when asked the question, "What would your thoughts be on playing in Atlanta"

woodnick
12-18-2007, 01:48 PM
MAtt Ryan has also been quoted about saying no thanks to playing in atlanta. Atlanta won't waste a pick on a guy who doesn't want to be here. And MAtt Ryan isn't a legit option. While we do need a QB, we don't need to REACH for one. we need to take the BPA at the pick no matter what, which is what we do already, which would be JAKE LONG. And guess what? LT is also a HUGE need. it's bigger than just QB because it affects both the pass and the run game. Long would be the pick. nice try though. but it makes much more sense to take Long, than waste a pick on a reach who doesn't want to be here.

Provide a source where Ryan says he doesn't want to be a Falcon, Ryan doesn't seem to be that type of player.

The Legend
12-18-2007, 01:59 PM
i dont see Cason playing nickel to small

scar988
12-18-2007, 02:00 PM
Provide a source where Ryan says he doesn't want to be a Falcon, Ryan doesn't seem to be that type of player.

in a TV interview:

interviewer "What would your thoughts be on playing in Atlanta"
MAtt Ryan - "No thanks"

nice try though. again, I wouldn't think less of oyu if you don't believe me. I mean he only said it after his 2 minute comeback.

bearsfan_51
12-18-2007, 02:01 PM
i dont see Cason playing nickel to small
Ricky Manning Jr is one of the best nickel corners in the NFL. He's not exactly big, particularly in his Carolina days. Not to mention you can slide another corner inside on nickel situations, you don't have to draft a nickel specific corner.

The Legend
12-18-2007, 02:04 PM
Ricky Manning Jr is one of the best nickel corners in the NFL. He's not exactly big, particularly in his Carolina days. Not to mention you can slide another corner inside on nickel situations, you don't have to draft a nickel specific corner.

that is true, but packers line up there nickel on tight ends and i dont see cason covering a tight end or bump and run

i think Jack Ikegwuonu or Mike Jenkins or Terrell Thomas or Leodis McKelvin or Aqib Talib or Malcolm Jenkins or Reggie Smith would fit us better then Cason

12-18-2007, 02:15 PM
Wrong system for Cason and unless he bulks up another 20-25 pounds I cant see him shifting to safety either.

fenikz
12-18-2007, 02:40 PM
Phillip & Jenkins over Campbell, both of them fill a bigger need

woodnick
12-18-2007, 02:40 PM
in a TV interview:

MAtt Ryan - "No thanks"

nice try though. again, I wouldn't think less of oyu if you don't believe me. I mean he only said it after his 2 minute comeback.

If he said it in a TV interview there would have been tons of press on it, and I haven't seen one thing on that on ESPN or Fox sports or anything like that, so I am having a hard time believing it, but if anyone else on this forum says they saw it too I might listen.

scar988
12-18-2007, 03:17 PM
If he said it in a TV interview there would have been tons of press on it, and I haven't seen one thing on that on ESPN or Fox sports or anything like that, so I am having a hard time believing it, but if anyone else on this forum says they saw it too I might listen.

talk to ATLdirtybirds or iloxygenil. cause they also heard it. nice try though. seriously, just because there isn't a link on it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Bills2083
12-18-2007, 03:20 PM
Good Bills pick

Crickett
12-18-2007, 03:23 PM
3 New York Jets- Chris Long, DE, Virginia- Perfect fit for Manginiís 3-4 Defense. Other options here would be the other Long, but RT is not worth it, and Gholston. I had a tough time between VG and Long, but Long has better value.

Can someone please explain to me why Chris Long is a perfect fit for the 3-4 defense? Because at 6-4 280, he seems like a perfect fit not to be in the 3-4. Too small for DE, too big for linebacker. Great as a pass rusher in the 4-3, but since that's not the primary role of 3-4 DE's, he won't put up the numbers. Five sacks for a 3-4 DE is pretty good, but a good pass rush it does not make. And what is Chris Long going to give the Jets that Shaun Ellis doesn't other than youth?

11 Arizona- Calais Campbell, DE, Miami*- Can make the transition into Whisenhunts 3-4, and gives the Cards a huge presence on the outside of their front 7

I suppose I could ask the same question. Where exactly in the 3-4 is he going to make the transition to?

T-RICH49
12-18-2007, 03:45 PM
great Chiefs pick

packer_pat_4
12-18-2007, 04:19 PM
Can someone please explain to me why Chris Long is a perfect fit for the 3-4 defense? Because at 6-4 280, he seems like a perfect fit not to be in the 3-4. Too small for DE, too big for linebacker. Great as a pass rusher in the 4-3, but since that's not the primary role of 3-4 DE's, he won't put up the numbers. Five sacks for a 3-4 DE is pretty good, but a good pass rush it does not make. And what is Chris Long going to give the Jets that Shaun Ellis doesn't other than youth?

I suppose I could ask the same question. Where exactly in the 3-4 is he going to make the transition to?
Well Long is at about 280 now. He is about 10 pounds heavier that Adalius Thomas, a linebacker in the 3-4. He is almost identical to Jarvis Green, a DE in the 3-4. Does his size give him a 100% set position heading into the NFL? No. But he has potential to plug in at lots of places. Hes played the 3-4 before, and dominated. His potential and versatility make me feel the Jets would like him in their base defense.
Campbell is a little to heavy right now to fit as an outside linebacker BUT with his set of skills and freakish size, if he got down a little bit I think he could make the transition. Also, I might be wrong but I thought the Cardinals run a lot of base 4-3 plays still? I think he also gives versatitility.
Good points however, nice feedback,

packer_pat_4
12-18-2007, 04:21 PM
talk to ATLdirtybirds or iloxygenil. cause they also heard it. nice try though. seriously, just because there isn't a link on it doesn't mean it didn't happen.
Are you that surprised that someone would want some proof regarding major draft news on a draft site?

scar988
12-18-2007, 04:24 PM
Are you that surprised that someone would want some proof regarding major draft news on a draft site?

no, but I'm just annoyed with the whole link thing. it's annoying. Why should I find some random link.

gsorace
12-18-2007, 04:28 PM
Well Long is at about 280 now. He is about 10 pounds heavier that Adalius Thomas, a linebacker in the 3-4. He is almost identical to Jarvis Green, a DE in the 3-4.

10 pounds is pretty significant, and Thomas is a lot faster than Long.

Jarvis Green is a backup.

I don't like Chris Long in the 3-4 either.

packer_pat_4
12-18-2007, 04:44 PM

Some other examples of players at the 3-4 DE with very close size comparissons to Chris Long.... Brett Keisel, Luis Castillo, Jarrett Johnson..... but through research, not many top notch players fit the same build in that defense. Good points everyone.

scar988
12-18-2007, 04:47 PM

yu don't like Long in a 3-4? HE PLAYS IN A 3-4 AT UVA!

Scotty D
12-18-2007, 05:09 PM
in a TV interview:

MAtt Ryan - "No thanks"

Great source there.

scar988
12-18-2007, 05:21 PM
Great source there.

I'm sorry that I saw it on TV and don't really care enough to search for a link.

Jensen
12-18-2007, 05:28 PM
Give the Cardinals Kenny Phillips or Malcolm Jenkins there.

gsorace
12-18-2007, 05:41 PM
yu don't like Long in a 3-4? HE PLAYS IN A 3-4 AT UVA!

And as we all know, because something works in college, means it will work in the NFL, you're right, what was I thinking?

:rolleyes:

woodnick
12-18-2007, 05:50 PM
I'm sorry that I saw it on TV and don't really care enough to search for a link.

I wouldn't really care to search for a link that doesn't exist either.

scar988
12-18-2007, 06:15 PM
And as we all know, because something works in college, means it will work in the NFL, you're right, what was I thinking?

:rolleyes:
no, what I'm saying is, it's stupid to think he can't play DE in a 3-4 because it's what he plays in college.

oldLibid21
12-18-2007, 08:28 PM
I saw that too, Scar.

woodnick
12-19-2007, 01:24 PM

Here is a clip of Ryan's latest 2 minute comeback complete with post game nterview. This clip is from ESPN, what was shown on TV not a spliced together higlight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR2KQvzUg28

Nothing in it ever mentions Atlanta. Ryan's other 2 minute comeback this year was 10/28, or week 7 of the NFL season which seems a little early for a prospect to speak about a potential future team.

amc2005
12-19-2007, 04:56 PM
Hmm, seems last time a QB said that he didn't want to play somewhere there ended up being a huge fiasco and it sent him to the NY Giants. I'm kinda surprised I didn't hear about Matt Ryan.