12-18-2007, 06:59 PM
Feel free to discuss in this thread!

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/qb/mattryan.html

regoob2
12-18-2007, 07:25 PM
sounds good to me, good stuff

BeerBaron
12-18-2007, 07:29 PM
isnt it a little contradictory to call him a first round pick without the potential to be a franchise qb?

it seems like a QB ought to have that kind of potential to be in the mix for a top 5-10 pick

Primetime21
12-18-2007, 07:34 PM
When I watch and read Matt Ryan I see a lot of Matt Hasselback. Both seem like gun slingers sometimes and also both are very passionate about the game of football. Also both went to BC. The biggest thing I see him being like Matt is his streaks of great throws, fast reads then his poorly thrown balls that were forced. I think in the right situation he can defiantly be a franchise guy just not Peyton or Tom.

That being said looks great Scott. Cant wait to read more of your reports in the future.

BamaFalcon59
12-18-2007, 07:38 PM
I agree with the scouting report and it screams bust. He extends plays without the ability to push the ball downfield. He also forces too many plays after extending them, resulting in interceptions. He also gets way too much credit for his performance against Virginia Tech. in the final two minutes, while he struggled for 58 minutes. He then was not clutch against Florida State or in the second Virginia Tech. game.

He's so overrated. He will only succeed in select situations.

BeerBaron
12-18-2007, 07:41 PM
I agree with the scouting report and it screams bust. He extends plays without the ability to push the ball downfield. He also forces too many plays after extending them, resulting in interceptions. He also gets way too much credit for his performance against Virginia Tech. in the final two minutes, while he struggled for 58 minutes. He then was not clutch against Florida State or in the second Virginia Tech. game.

He's so overrated. He will only succeed in select situations.

i agree. now is it just me or does it seem like ryan, along with brohm and woodson, are only the "elite 3 QB's" of this draft because there aren't any legitimate elite QB's like a vince young or eli manning (at the time)?

all three seem to scream bust...

BamaFalcon59
12-18-2007, 07:44 PM
I agree, in a good draft they all fall at best in the teens, most likely at the end of round 1. I like Brohm a bit though and feel he can succeed.

12-18-2007, 07:45 PM
Best value for a QB this year based on draft projections is Colt Brennan who wouldnt cost you a first yet still has the same if not better potential than the supposed "3 Elite QBs."

BeerBaron
12-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Best value for a QB this year based on draft projections is Colt Brennan who wouldnt cost you a first yet still has the same if not better potential than the supposed "3 Elite QBs."

i know what you mean. i was going to say something to that effect in my earlier post.

of the elite 3 though, i think andre woodson might have the best shot if, for nothing else, his measureables.

but im not sure id like to see any of the three behind center for the bears...

soybean
12-18-2007, 07:52 PM
i agree. now is it just me or does it seem like ryan, along with brohm and woodson, are only the "elite 3 QB's" of this draft because there aren't any legitimate elite QB's like a vince young or eli manning (at the time)?

all three seem to scream bust...

that's why neither of em have the "elite prospect" tag.

BeerBaron
12-18-2007, 08:05 PM
that's why neither of em have the "elite prospect" tag.

well youd have to think a quarterback being taken that early would have to qualify as "elite" to the team making the pick

Scott Wright
12-18-2007, 08:29 PM
isnt it a little contradictory to call him a first round pick without the potential to be a franchise qb?

it seems like a QB ought to have that kind of potential to be in the mix for a top 5-10 pick

I agree, I don't see Matt Ryan as a Top 5 or 10 draft pick. In my mind he isn't in the same class as Brady Quinn was a year ago and is basically a poor-man's Matt Leinart. However, a lot of teams need quarterbacks and there isn't an "elite" signal caller available so just like in 2005 with Alex Smith guys are going to get pushed up.

It's still far from a sure-thing that Ryan will even be my #1 QB when all is said and done, I like Brohm a lot and Woodson has a big upside.

art vandelay
12-19-2007, 12:17 AM
"Matty Ice"

wonder where he got that nickname from...

BTW Scott - are you going to mention how Ryan said he didn't want to play for Atlanta in his scouting report? That surely should be a red flag.

Scott Wright
12-19-2007, 12:25 AM
BTW Scott - are you going to mention how Ryan said he didn't want to play for Atlanta in his scouting report? That surely should be a red flag.

I have still yet to see any evidence of this...

SenorGato
12-19-2007, 12:36 AM
When I watch and read Matt Ryan I see a lot of Matt Hasselback. Both seem like gun slingers sometimes and also both are very passionate about the game of football. Also both went to BC. The biggest thing I see him being like Matt is his streaks of great throws, fast reads then his poorly thrown balls that were forced. I think in the right situation he can defiantly be a franchise guy just not Peyton or Tom.

That being said looks great Scott. Cant wait to read more of your reports in the future.

I made that comparison on JI a few months ago...I still like it.

Agree with this whole post. I also don't buy that he's as NFL ready as some seem to believe. He needs time to fill out his frame, and I think it could benefit his arm strength a little bit.

Forenci
12-19-2007, 12:37 AM
Not too shabby, I pretty much agree with your statement of him being in a similar situation as Alex Smith was several years ago, in other words, he's being pushed up the boards a bit because there isn't an elite signal caller this year.

I think of him in the same class as Brady Quinn, from my perspective. A guy who I don't consider a franchise QB, but could potentially blossom into that role. Quinn issue was more about having bad mechanics than anything else though. I feel like they're both inconsistent.

To be honest, I'm an obvious Woodson fan, but I think the Senior Bowl and Combine is going to be critical in deciding the top signal caller taken this year. More so than other years. I hope whoever these guys hire as an agent tells them that.

Nonetheless, while I'm sure we all can disagree with your scouting reports from time to time (though I basically agree with most of them at this point) I think you generally hit the nail on the head.

Much appreciated, Scott.

Scott Wright
12-19-2007, 12:46 AM
I think of him in the same class as Brady Quinn, from my perspective. A guy who I don't consider a franchise QB, but could potentially blossom into that role.

But Quinn had a much stronger arm, a longer track record, etc.

Forenci
12-19-2007, 12:54 AM
That I would agree with. In terms of physical tools, Quinn is a class above, I just think in terms of them being franchise QB's (at some point) they're on the same level. In other words it can happen, but I'm not sure when or if it'll happen.

I'd give the edge to Quinn because has more potential - primarily because I feel like most of his downsides can be corrected. Ryan's flaws (such as arm strength, as you mentioned) aren't really something that can be coached.

soybean
12-19-2007, 12:57 AM
That I would agree with. In terms of physical tools, Quinn is a class above, I just think in terms of them being franchise QB's (at some point) they're on the same level. In other words it can happen, but I'm not sure when or if it'll happen.

I'd give the edge to Quinn because has more potential - primarily because I feel like most of his downsides can be corrected. Ryan's flaws (such as arm strength, as you mentioned) aren't really something that can be coached.

I don't think anyone ever had any doubts of brady quinn becoming a franchise qb. succeeding is another issue/topic for debate.

but i think BQ coming out was much more of a soon-to-be franchise qb than ryan is at this point.

downthealley
12-19-2007, 09:38 PM
Quinn doesn't turn the ball over and force plays, Ryan does. Thats the key difference in who was/is more ready to be a franchise QB.

edgrenade
12-20-2007, 12:41 AM
Sounds a bit like Eli Manning.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-20-2007, 06:16 PM
Sounds a bit like Eli Manning.

Nah, Ryan does at the least have charisma

The scouting report reads a lot like Jake Delhomme tbh. Of course, Delhomme needed a few years to develop. If Ryan doesnt get a while I have a feeling he's a massive bust

downthealley
12-20-2007, 06:36 PM
Yeah, Ryan has that leadership quality that isn't seen in Eli Manning. He also shows emotion on the field...theres a huge difference in terms of those traits.

BuddyCHRIST
12-20-2007, 07:08 PM
I think he's overrated. He is a pretty good leader and won't quit but he also makes alot of really bad decisions which is not something you should expect from a 5th year senior. He forces way too many balls and tries to throw off his back foot way too much yet doesn't have the arm strength to over come it. I think he was exposed when he faced good defenses like VT and FSU. And don't bring up the whole VT come back thing, thats just because VT's offense couldn't do anything and their D was gassed by the end of the game. Especially since BC recovered an onside kick after a very long drive. I think he looks like a good college QB who makes a nice backup at the next level.

Bosanac01
12-21-2007, 07:59 PM
I like the scouting report. Looks like he going to be a top 5 pick to the Falcons. I would like to see you NFL Comparison for player in their scouting reports.

scar988
12-21-2007, 08:16 PM

hmm, kinda why I don't see the Falcons takign a QB top 5. cause NONE are worth it.

nobodyinparticular
12-22-2007, 02:22 AM
I agree, I don't see Matt Ryan as a Top 5 or 10 draft pick. In my mind he isn't in the same class as Brady Quinn was a year ago and is basically a poor-man's Matt Leinart. However, a lot of teams need quarterbacks and there isn't an "elite" signal caller available so just like in 2005 with Alex Smith guys are going to get pushed up.

It's still far from a sure-thing that Ryan will even be my #1 QB when all is said and done, I like Brohm a lot and Woodson has a big upside.

But with Smith you had the "smart QB" tag to the extreme just like Matt Ryan, but you also had a very athletic QB who could make plays with his feet and he was supposed to be very accurate wasn't he?

Chris30277
12-22-2007, 11:10 PM
As a Falcons fan I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him, but if the Falcons can find better value with their first pick, and build an offensive line for the future QB I would much rather do that and take a chance on a QB that falls to round two. Heck they could even try to trade back up, using the two second round picks they have this year, into the first round and snag one of the big 3 that fall. Right now the offensive line cannot get any push in the run game, and they cannot seem to protect the QB for longer then 2 seconds. When The Falcons call pass plays they need to throw using quick (one step drop) pass or from shotgun. The QB doesn't even have time to get to his second read. I don't care who is playing QB, unless the offensive line can improve, it wont matter. Surely you can see that the Falcons need players all across the offensive line.

Scott before this year started you had Matt Ryan in your overrated list of prospects. What was the main reason? I didn't get to see Ryan play before this year, and I have watched him play a lot this year. I think he is solid, he might force a few balls here and there, but that is really because he doesn't have a lot of talent around him. With the Falcons though, he would be in the same situation.

Also back when BC played VA Tech in the ACC championship game the announcer told a story of a conversation he had had with Ryan a few days earlier. They were apparently talking about possibly destinations for Ryan. He brought up that Atlanta needed a QB, and Ryan responded "thanks, but No thanks." I remember this because they all had a a good little laugh about this during the game. With everything that has happened this year: The problems with Vick, Petrino leaving, and even Parcells getting away, I really think Arthur Blank will want to find someone who legitimately wants to be in Atlanta. Although I have no idea who would want to be there! The fact that Ryan has already expressed that he would certainly not want to go to Atlanta turns me off to him. That would be all Atlanta needs, more bad press!

Scott Wright
12-23-2007, 02:11 AM
As a Falcons fan I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him, but if the Falcons can find better value with their first pick, and build an offensive line for the future QB I would much rather do that and take a chance on a QB that falls to round two. Heck they could even try to trade back up, using the two second round picks they have this year, into the first round and snag one of the big 3 that fall. Right now the offensive line cannot get any push in the run game, and they cannot seem to protect the QB for longer then 2 seconds. When The Falcons call pass plays they need to throw using quick (one step drop) pass or from shotgun. The QB doesn't even have time to get to his second read. I don't care who is playing QB, unless the offensive line can improve, it wont matter. Surely you can see that the Falcons need players all across the offensive line.

Scott before this year started you had Matt Ryan in your overrated list of prospects. What was the main reason? I didn't get to see Ryan play before this year, and I have watched him play a lot this year. I think he is solid, he might force a few balls here and there, but that is really because he doesn't have a lot of talent around him. With the Falcons though, he would be in the same situation.

Also back when BC played VA Tech in the ACC championship game the announcer told a story of a conversation he had had with Ryan a few days earlier. They were apparently talking about possibly destinations for Ryan. He brought up that Atlanta needed a QB, and Ryan responded "thanks, but No thanks." I remember this because they all had a a good little laugh about this during the game. With everything that has happened this year: The problems with Vick, Petrino leaving, and even Parcells getting away, I really think Arthur Blank will want to find someone who legitimately wants to be in Atlanta. Although I have no idea who would want to be there! The fact that Ryan has already expressed that he would certainly not want to go to Atlanta turns me off to him. That would be all Atlanta needs, more bad press!

Prior to his senior season Ryan was a fringe 1st round prospect but there were some who were extremely high on him. Based on what I saw of him as a junior I didn't see it which is why I listed him as overrated. Obviously he played hurt as a junior and had a great senior year and after looking at some more recent tape I guess you could say I hopped on the bandwagon.

However, I still feel like he is overrated to a degree and personally don't value him as a Top 5 or Top 10 overall pick. In my opinion he is several notches below where Brady Quinn was a prospect and look where he went...

MaxV
12-23-2007, 10:40 AM
I don't think Ryan should be a top 5 pick. If you're picking a QB with a top 5 pick, he better be a future star and I just don't think Ryan will be that.

As a matter of fact, I personally believe that Brohm is better.

Chris30277
12-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Prior to his senior season Ryan was a fringe 1st round prospect but there were some who were extremely high on him. Based on what I saw of him as a junior I didn't see it which is why I listed him as overrated. Obviously he played hurt as a junior and had a great senior year and after looking at some more recent tape I guess you could say I hopped on the bandwagon.

However, I still feel like he is overrated to a degree and personally don't value him as a Top 5 or Top 10 overall pick. In my opinion he is several notches below where Brady Quinn was a prospect and look where he went...

So if they can get better value where they are currently picking why not try and do that. They have the ammo nessasary to move up with two 2nd round picks. They might be able to get someone like Jake Long to improve the offensive line, and then make a move up into the low 20s and possibly steal a QB that falls.

I remember Cleveland caught a lot of flak last year for trading away their first this year, but they certainly turned their team around after rebuilding their offensive line. Brady Quinn will be able to take his time adjusting to the pro level, and the team is actually fun to watch right now. Why wouldn't other bad teams try and emulate this process.

Chris30277
12-23-2007, 11:03 AM
I don't think Ryan should be a top 5 pick. If you're picking a QB with a top 5 pick, he better be a future star and I just don't think Ryan will be that.

As a matter of fact, I personally believe that Brohm is better.

Sadly I do too, but I don't think Atlanta goes anywhere near a prospect that has had any relationship with Bobby Petrino.

Scott Wright
12-23-2007, 06:41 PM
So if they can get better value where they are currently picking why not try and do that. They have the ammo nessasary to move up with two 2nd round picks. They might be able to get someone like Jake Long to improve the offensive line, and then make a move up into the low 20s and possibly steal a QB that falls.

I remember Cleveland caught a lot of flak last year for trading away their first this year, but they certainly turned their team around after rebuilding their offensive line. Brady Quinn will be able to take his time adjusting to the pro level, and the team is actually fun to watch right now. Why wouldn't other bad teams try and emulate this process.

There are a lot of reasons that is a bad strategy. First of all you can't count on a quarterback falling like that. Second of all you can't guarantee you'll be able to move up back into the first round. Remember, Cleveland offered that deal to like ten teams before someone finally took them up on it. Oh yea, and Joe Thomas was a better prospect than Jake Long was and they also signed Eric Steinbach.

I realize there is no winning with Falcon fans on this but check back with me in April when they select a quarterback in round one.

Babylon
12-23-2007, 06:52 PM
There are a lot of reasons that is a bad strategy. First of all you can't count on a quarterback falling like that. Second of all you can't guarantee you'll be able to move up back into the first round. Remember, Cleveland offered that deal to like ten teams before someone finally took them up on it. Oh yea, and Joe Thomas was a better prospect than Jake Long was and they also signed Eric Steinbach.

I realize there is no winning with Falcon fans on this but check back with me in April when they select a quarterback in round one.

good call and there is a much better chance of grabbing a good o-lineman at the top of round 2 rather than trying to get a good QB in that spot.

ATLDirtyBirds
12-23-2007, 06:53 PM
I know you don't think McFadden will be on the board at #4, but let's say he is. You still think we take a QB?

Scott Wright
12-23-2007, 06:58 PM
I know you don't think McFadden will be on the board at #4, but let's say he is. You still think we take a QB?

Absolutely. Norwood is the Falcons most explosive playmaker, is 24-years-old and has averaged over 6 yards per carry this year. He just needs a bigger workload. I wouldn't COMPLETELY rule McFadden out but I think a quarterback or Jake Long are much, much more likely possibilities.

Chris30277
12-23-2007, 09:12 PM
I realize that all of this is just pure speculation. Honestly I will support whoever we choose. I understand that this strategy would be a bit of a gamble; however, it is not overly impossible for a team to find a QB outside of Round one. I might not be overly thrilled about any of the QB's in this year's draft, but that doesn't mean I don't think there are plenty of talented prospects.

I seem to remember there were plenty of people last year trying to figure out Buffalo's draft strategy. First they got rid of their best RB and simply replaced him with the draft, then they did the same thing with their best LB. I thought it was a terrible move. I felt Trent Edwards had a lot of potential, but I felt it would take him a few years to develop.

So far this season I have been pleasantly surprised in how Trent Edwards is progressing. He has seriously out preformed everyone's (outside of homer fans) expectations. It just proved that talent can be found anywhere.

If Atlanta can find someone to take the reins from Rich McKay for this draft I would certainly feel more comfortable looking outside of the first round for talent. McKay has proven to me that he has no ability to draft offensive players (outside of Jerious Norwood). I would count Roddy White, but it took 2 years and the front office bringing in Hue Jackson before we got any type of production out of him.

Out of the big three I will admit I do like Matt Ryan the best. Not because of his ceiling, but rather because of his higher floor. He is not really a boom or bust type player in my opinion. But like I said before, his value does not warrant Atlanta's current selection. It pains me to say it because I do realize that we absolutely need a future QB.

In a way I am torn, it would make me feel so much better if Atlanta would have won out the rest of the season. It would have made the situation so much easier. A lot of this will depend on the next head coach for the team. If the next coach wants to be a run first team, which is what I am hoping for, I would be more comfortable with drafting a stud OT like Jake Long first; however, if the next coach prefers to sling the ball around, I want him to have the most talented QB in the draft.

In today's game though, Chris Redman threw the ball 42 times, and it wasn't by choice. The running game is non-existent. Our leading rusher was one of our LB's on a fake punt play. Warrick Dunn had 12 carries for 13 yards and Norwood had 7 for 33 (most of them were misdirection plays). This team cannot run the ball at all. They cannot do it when they need to, and they cannot do it when they want to. If they could, it would take a ton of pressure of the QB.

When he has time; meaning more then 1.5 seconds in the pocket, Chris Redman has actually looked pretty good. Granted he tries to force things every once and a while, but from what I have seen of Matt Ryan so does he. I am not trying to say Chris Redman is the future of this franchise. I am not so hommeristic to suggest that. What I am saying though is that I believe Chris Redman could carry the load long enough for a new QB to adjust to the speed of the game on the bench.

As for Norwood.... he is a great weapon, but any Falcon fan will tell you he simply isn't durable enough to be the feature back. I don't know if the problem comes from his lack of Bulk, his running style, or even if he simply lacks mental toughness, but he just cannot be counted on the carry the load. I fully expect for our FO to let Dunn go this off season, and find a big bruising back to change the pace of the game and share carries with Norwood

Chris30277
12-23-2007, 09:14 PM
Absolutely. Norwood is the Falcons most explosive playmaker, is 24-years-old and has averaged over 6 yards per carry this year. He just needs a bigger workload. I wouldn't COMPLETELY rule McFadden out but I think a quarterback or Jake Long are much, much more likely possibilities.

Scott

I know you stated that you do not believe Ryan stated his lack of interest in Atlanta, but if in fact it did happen, with everything that has happened to this franchise this year, don't you think the FO would take this into strong consideration before they invest the teams future into him?