PDA

View Full Version : Tight Ends

ammandss
12-21-2007, 12:05 PM
Look like there is no elite tight ends this year. For most of the year it looks like Carlson was the top prospect but from the limited games I saw it looked like Fred Davis is much better. Rucker looks better than Carlson too (but obviously neither had such an anemic offense). What does everyone think of the class in general and the Top 10 guys in specific?

jbeans187
12-21-2007, 12:27 PM
I think Davis will be a late first round guy, Rucker will go in the 2nd and Carlson after that in the late 2nd or 3rd. Other that will be after Carlson could be Kellen Davis and Jacob Tamme. If Martellus Bennet goes pro he could be the first or second TE taken. Anyone know if hes thinking about leaving?

Solomon
12-21-2007, 12:52 PM
Look like there is no elite tight ends this year. For most of the year it looks like Carlson was the top prospect but from the limited games I saw it looked like Fred Davis is much better. Rucker looks better than Carlson too (but obviously neither had such an anemic offense). What does everyone think of the class in general and the Top 10 guys in specific?

While there is no #1 elite TE this year, there are several guys who figure to go in the second round area, so in terms of depth this year isn't bad.

Fred Davis has decent size, terrific speed and can really seperate from LBs and shield the ball from DBs. He's also an underrated blocker. He seems to be the most athetic senior TE available.

John Carlson is an interesting guy because due largely to the play of his offense he had a down year while still leading the Irish in receiving. He is imo the most complete TE, in terms of catching, blocking, size and speed.

Martin Rucker is a good receiver and has terrific size but he needs to improve his blocking and doesn't get downfield very well because of limited speed.

Jacob Tamme has had good production and has very good speed. He needs to add some bulk to his frame, as he looks smaller than the 240 lbs he is listed at on the UK website. He also needs to improve his blocking.

Juniors of note:

Martellus Bennett. Great size and soft hands, very athletic and an excellent target in the red zone. Just needs to polish off his game and play more consistantly. Rumour has it that he seriously considering leaving in which case I could see him being the first TE taken, and a late first rounder, on physical talent alone.

Travis Beckum, fantastic receiver, fast, fluid, good hands can get downfield. Good strength despite very small frame for a TE, about 224 lbs right now and better suited for H-back role. Could use an extra season to add bulk but the top pass catching TE available.

Cornelius Ingram, Florida. I've heard rumours that he is considering leaving early. That would be a big mistake. He's still just learning the position after coming to Florida as a QB so despite a productive year he needs to refine just about every aspect of his game and add some bulk. He is very athletic and promising for the future though.

Chase Coffman, Ruckers teamate at Mizzu would be better off staying for an extra year and benefiting from Rucker's absence in the Tigers prolific offense.

Then again with a great combine (and I could see Davis and Bennett blowing away people with their measurables) somebody could earn a spot in the first round.

For next years draft, keep an eye out for Sooners TE Jermaine Gresham he's got mid first round and All-American in his immediate future.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-21-2007, 01:53 PM
Tom Santi will make an NFL roster, a big guy with superior hands.

toonsterwu
12-21-2007, 02:01 PM
Tom Santi will make an NFL roster, a big guy with superior hands.

I think Stupar will get a shot as well. Perhaps a late round or UDFA/practice squad guy, but I think he'll get a look.

darnik44two
12-21-2007, 02:07 PM
I love Martin Rucker and think he's worth being picked as high as #20. He is in alot of ways similar to Antonio Gates but probably faster. He doesn't use his body quite as well as Gates.