View Full Version : Sam Baker Scouting Report

Scott Wright
12-21-2007, 08:13 PM
Here it is!

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/ot/sambaker.html

Discuss the Southern Cal OT in this thread:

BeerBaron
12-21-2007, 08:47 PM
How much room on his frame do you think he has to go?

Because personally I think if he can't get much more weight added on, he might have a tough time in the nfl. 305 seems too small for a tackle

PACKmanN
12-21-2007, 08:51 PM
How much room on his frame do you think he has to go?

Because personally I think if he can't get much more weight added on, he might have a tough time in the nfl. 305 seems too small for a tackle

Colledge is like 300 pounds and is a terrible OG, but many think he a better OT. He not going to out power you, but he will beat you with his speed and leverage. If he comes out at 6'3-6'2, he should move to OC.

Turtlepower
12-21-2007, 08:55 PM
Definitely agree with you on the polarizing aspect of Sam Baker. I personally feel that his footwork is so good that as long as he bulks up, he can be a franchise left tackle. I think he is better than Joe Thomas, but that is just my own opinion.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-22-2007, 01:47 AM
sounds a hell of a lot like Jordan Gross

Babylon
12-22-2007, 11:42 AM
sounds a hell of a lot like Jordan Gross

Agree, or a younger John Tait meaning not spectacular but solid, probably a 10 year pro with a chance to make a pro bowl. He isnt Joe Thomas or Walter Jones thus he goes probably mid first but a class guy and a good football player.

SAGA45
12-22-2007, 12:55 PM
Baker is a better run blocker than he gets credit for. I think it's probably the most underrated aspect of his game.

oldLibid21
12-22-2007, 12:55 PM
Is there a chance Baker will fall to the second round to the Falcons?

Cashmoney
12-22-2007, 01:07 PM

Depends on who out of loadholt, oher, clady, and boone declare

energizerbunny
12-22-2007, 01:12 PM

Even if those guys don't declare I think Baker could easily fall to the 2nd, even late 2nd or early third.

Babylon
12-22-2007, 01:24 PM
Depends on who out of loadholt, oher, clady, and boone declare

That would imply he's not as good as those you mentioned, i disagree with that. And no he doesnt drop to the second if anyone actually knows what they're doing, this is a guy who was pretty much a top 10 pick before being injured this year.

energizerbunny
12-22-2007, 01:30 PM
That would imply he's not as good as those you mentioned, i disagree with that. And no he doesnt drop to the second if anyone actually knows what they're doing, this is a guy who was pretty much a top 10 pick before being injured this year.

Southern Cal Hype.... this guy is the most overrated TAckle in the entire draft

Babylon
12-22-2007, 01:39 PM
Southern Cal Hype.... this guy is the most overrated TAckle in the entire draft

The NFL is full of USC hyped players then. Like i said he was a consensus high pick and was injured, Dorsey played hurt too and wasnt as effective, let's downgrade him too using that logic.

Young Legend
12-22-2007, 01:43 PM

dont you gys run more of a power scheme?cause if you dont Baker woudnt be that great of a pick for the falcons..

energizerbunny
12-22-2007, 01:55 PM
The NFL is full of USC hyped players then. Like i said he was a consensus high pick and was injured, Dorsey played hurt too and wasnt as effective, let's downgrade him too using that logic.

He didn't impress me before the injuries, i've watched this guy for 4 years.

As a freshman and Sophmore it was always "wow this guy is so good for being so young, he's going to be amazing when he gets older...."

but he never really took his game to that next level and is really a middle of the road type OTackle now. I find it hard to see him much more than guard or 6th olineman. With USC constantly nationally broadcasted I find it hard to believe more people don't feel the same.

darnik44two
12-22-2007, 02:24 PM
Your analysis sounds right to me.

Babylon
12-22-2007, 02:32 PM

As a freshman and Sophmore it was always "wow this guy is so good for being so young, he's going to be amazing when he gets older...."

but he never really took his game to that next level and is really a middle of the road type OTackle now. I find it hard to see him much more than guard or 6th olineman. With USC constantly nationally broadcasted I find it hard to believe more people don't feel the same.

A guard or a 6th offensive lineman, you're kidding right?

Cashmoney
12-22-2007, 03:51 PM

at least two of those 4 would be chosen ahead of baker off of potential alone. Clady and probably loadholt, maybe even Oher, because if both Oher and baker are switched to guard in the pros, oher will probably be much better there.

Scott Wright
12-23-2007, 02:13 AM
Baker seems to be a polarizing prospect. Some think he's a Top 10 pick and others think he's a 2nd or even 3rd rounder.

Babylon
12-23-2007, 12:06 PM
Baker seems to be a polarizing prospect. Some think he's a Top 10 pick and others think he's a 2nd or even 3rd rounder.

Where would you rank him among the tackles if he hadnt been injured this year?

princefielder28
12-23-2007, 04:27 PM
I see Baker as a prospect that screams BUST.

energizerbunny
12-23-2007, 05:37 PM
Where would you rank him among the tackles if he hadnt been injured this year?

The injury hasn't really hurt him as you may think, this guy has been in the limelight for 4 years, there is obviously enough film on him to have a realistic evaluation of what he can do on the field.

Much like the Dorsey injury hasn't really hurt his stock.

Babylon
12-23-2007, 05:59 PM
The injury hasn't really hurt him as you may think, this guy has been in the limelight for 4 years, there is obviously enough film on him to have a realistic evaluation of what he can do on the field.

Much like the Dorsey injury hasn't really hurt his stock.

You may be right among Nfl scouts, it has definitely hurt where he goes in mock drafts.

energizerbunny
12-24-2007, 12:01 AM
You may be right among Nfl scouts, it has definitely hurt where he goes in mock drafts.

mocks mean jack-all. Especially in December, guaranteed there is atleast 1 person who is being mocked 1st round right now who will go in the 4th round and there is atleast 1 person being mocked as a 2nd day pick who will end up going 1st round.

Happens every year, Mocks are all about trying to figure out these guys value and where they stand, especially at this time of year.

socentre44
12-31-2007, 11:37 AM

I don't know if I'd consider Baker middle of the road. The guy has played over 4,100 snaps in a pro-style offense against solid competition (protecting QB's who aren't exactly mobile). During that time, he has...

1. Given up four sacks
2. Three false starts
3. No holding penalties

That type of production would be impressive for any prospect, but especially impressive for someone many consider only an "above-average" athlete.

scar988
12-31-2007, 12:14 PM
hmmm... I think Baker will make some ZBS team very happy astheir franchise LT. I'm thinking Denver or Houston.

Oaktown1981
12-31-2007, 12:16 PM
Baker would be a good pick for the Raiders at the top of the 2nd round.

Young Legend
01-01-2008, 12:36 AM
for some reason i think Baker is gonna fall to the second round..if some of thses Junior OT decide to leave

Babylon
01-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Baker looks as good today as he has all year, great footwork and technique.

Rey Mauluuga is having a great game also.