PDA

View Full Version : Chris Johnson Scouting Report

Scott Wright
12-21-2007, 10:32 PM
Here it is:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/rb/chrisjohnson.html

Discuss the East Carolina running back in this thread!

Turtlepower
12-21-2007, 10:40 PM
I just feel like he is the definition of the term "Scat Back". I would love for the giants to take a look at him in the 3rd because he would be a great compliment to Jacobs.

DiG
12-21-2007, 10:50 PM
i think he could fair well as a slot reciever at the next level rather than lber.

SuperKevin
12-21-2007, 10:56 PM
I'd much rather draft Houston's Anthony Aldridge if I was looking for a speedy 3rd down back with return skills

Hines
12-21-2007, 11:13 PM
I think Johnson will become a reciever in the NFL

Mr. Stiller
12-22-2007, 02:05 AM
I think He'll be utilized like Reggie Bush.

Any team that picks him up should start using 2 back sets on 3rd down, and give him some opportunities as a slot receiver.

If someone can spend the #2 pick on a 3rd down RB, Scatback, PR/KR and Slot Receiver.. I think a 2nd rounder/3rd rounder would be worth it.

energizerbunny
12-22-2007, 01:40 PM
sounds alot like the type of player Bush was coming out, except without the hype.

grushcow
12-22-2007, 04:02 PM
will probably be similar to the role lorenzo booker plays with the dolphins

12-22-2007, 04:08 PM
sounds alot like the type of player Bush was coming out, except without the hype.

...and the production to back it up.

Don Killuminati
12-22-2007, 06:23 PM
If Ted Ginn can go in the top 10, this guy is a shoe in for the 2nd round.

SuperKevin
12-22-2007, 08:53 PM
If Ted Ginn can go in the top 10, this guy is a shoe in for the 2nd round.

I wouldn't necesarrily call him a shoe in with the potential depth at RB this class could have

VoteLynnSwan
12-23-2007, 12:15 AM
i think he could fair well as a slot reciever at the next level rather than lber.

LBer? Line Backer? are you talking about the same guy?

Scott Wright
12-23-2007, 02:13 AM
Make sure to watch this guy in the Sheraton Hawaii Bowl against Boise St. tonight. 8pm eastern on ESPN.

rfc17
12-23-2007, 08:40 PM
wow what a first half for Chris Johnson. 18 carries for 180 yards and a TD.

he really is quite fast. and runs suprisingly hard. but i just dont think he is big enough to be a fulltime RB. now if he could add on about 15 pounds and not lose his speed, i think youd really have something.

if he doesnt add on any weight, i think he'd have to be a 3rd down back or a guy that plays WR in 4 wide sets. although i see him more as a RB. there is definitely something to be said about having a guy who can take it to the house from anywhere on the field. but would you be willing to risk a first day pick on a guy who may have to be a situational player? or do you think he could put on 15 pounds and not lose his ability? thatll be the questions with him.

princefielder28
12-23-2007, 08:58 PM
I think he'll be one of those players whose stock just rises dramatically as we near the draft. A team can use him at wideout or running back and with the importance put on special teams, he can be an asset there too. I believe he has a chance at going in round 2 come April

Incinerator
12-23-2007, 11:07 PM
having watched him for the past 4 years, I was really impressed by how much he has grown this year. He got a lot better at finishing runs and a lot less dancing around in the backfield which has helped to produce his great year this year. I think it would suit him to gain maybe 10 more pounds also. However, I dont see him as skiddish to inside running as Reggie Bush, in years past ECU's OLine has been pretty terrible and there were rarely holes in the middle and he always tried to do too much. This year however the OLine has gotten much better and he has been finding holes inside to run through.

Overall, I think if given a chance in the NFL, he can be a productive back in a year or two in the league.

SuperKevin
12-23-2007, 11:11 PM
Could he be this years Chris Henry? The RB with a limited college track record who shoots up draft boards with a ridiculous combine

Paranoidmoonduck
12-24-2007, 04:49 AM
Could he be this years Chris Henry? The RB with a limited college track record who shoots up draft boards with a ridiculous combine

I don't see how what Johnson has done in his college career is limited. He's been fairly excellent and has seen plenty of touches.

Jimmy
12-24-2007, 08:07 AM
400 all purpose yards, i think he proved he can run with some power... and i would take him in a flash in the 2nd round

toonsterwu
12-24-2007, 09:38 AM
Actually, the guy I'd compare him to, coming out of college, is Clinton Portis. A lot of people knew Clinton would be good, but they were just wary to take him, for a variety of reasons, some of it similar to Chris Johnson. That said, Clinton was a bit more proven. I've heard some guesses that say Johnson could play a bit higher (say 205-210) without losing much, and he could perhaps even follow what Portis did (really bulk up at the loss of some speed).

Forenci
12-24-2007, 10:17 AM
I just feel like he is the definition of the term "Scat Back". I would love for the giants to take a look at him in the 3rd because he would be a great compliment to Jacobs.

I'd feel the same way if Ahmad Bradshaw wasn't such an explosive player himself. The thing I like about Bradshaw though is he isn't afraid to keep it between the tackles, plus he can pass block effectively too.

If we could grab him in the 4th/5th Round I'd be happy to have him on the Giants though. Bradshaw and Johnson would be sick returning kicks.

etk
12-24-2007, 10:31 AM
Actually, the guy I'd compare him to, coming out of college, is Clinton Portis.

I agree. Johnson plays like Portis and returns kicks like Josh Cribbs, what's not to like?

Staubach12
12-24-2007, 11:47 AM
Johnson is, to me, a lot like Anthony Aldrige. Both have really put up great senior years to match their talent. Both are quick and fast. Both are versatile; running, catching, returning kicks. If I remember correctly, Aldrige even threw the ball a few times this past year. Anyway, they're very comparable in my opinion. I'd take either of them, really.

rfc17
12-24-2007, 01:56 PM

when did Chris Henry go shooting up draft boards? was it before or after the combine last year? cant remember.

the big difference between the two is that Henry didnt win the starting job until his senior year. Johnson played a good amount but had been bounced around between RB and WR.

Bobo
12-24-2007, 02:02 PM
Another big difference is about 30 lbs of muscle.

bruschis4all
12-24-2007, 03:39 PM
Timely report. Hope he goes to the Senior Bowl. I'm sure coaches would like to see if he will work on that blocking a little. And, become a Dave Meggett/Kevin Faulk type of back. I would think the Pats would have to consider him with their second 3rd rounder or 4th.

energizerbunny
12-24-2007, 07:56 PM
I don't see him getting past the late 2nd early 3rd.... he looked like one of the fastest players in college football last night. Depending on what he wants to be in the nfl and how he trains the next little while for that will ultimately decide how much further he'll really climb.

etk
12-25-2007, 04:00 PM
Another big difference is about 30 lbs of muscle.

Johnson doesn't look 195 on the field. He doesn't play small either. I think he'll weigh in at about 210.