PDA

View Full Version : Owen Schmitt Scouting Report

Scott Wright
12-22-2007, 01:03 AM
Here it is:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/fb/owenschmitt.html

Discuss the West Virginia fullback in this thread!

kwilk103
12-22-2007, 03:04 AM
scott, who do you have as the 2nd ranked fb, him or hester? cuz the rankings say schmitt is 2nd, but the pictures have him 3rd

and does the fact that he played tight end help his draft stock at all?

Scott Wright
12-22-2007, 12:54 PM
My bad, forgot to update the pictures.

Schmitt is my #2 fullback.

jbeans187
12-23-2007, 04:24 PM
I thought he was faster than a 4.85

jared
12-23-2007, 10:29 PM
I predict 4.55-4.65.

Babylon
12-23-2007, 10:40 PM
Reminds me of the Kleinsasser guy for the Vikings.

SuperKevin
12-23-2007, 10:42 PM
Owen Schmidt is Mike Alstott 2.0

jared
12-23-2007, 10:45 PM

I agree with that. Owen Schmitt is a monsterrific beastman. He will be money as a blocker and a goalline or between the tackles runner. He has better speed than given credit for.

wvfan14
12-31-2007, 07:08 PM
If Schmitt goes to the late rounds, I'll be suprised.

I think it's funny how he's a "what you see is what you get" kind of guy. And not a big-play threat.

He's a physical freak and all you have to do is watch career highlights to see how good of a threat he is.

nhlkdog411
01-01-2008, 02:22 AM
Schmitt really should get a flier in one of the earlier rounds. He has the ability to be so damn versatile in the pros. First, he could easily fit as the thunder part of a two back system, his running ability is underrated and if he tests out as well athletically as some, including me, feel (4.55-4.6 I'm telling you) then splitting carries in the pros wouldn't be a problem at all with the kind of power he has. Second he could play at fullback/h-back/tight end in addition to the running duties, and work as both a blocker and pass catcher in all three spots. And he is one HELL of a blocker might i add. Probably one of the most versatile offensive players to come out in a while. Did I mention he can punt?

nhlkdog411
01-02-2008, 09:09 PM
anyone see that 57 yard run to the house?

IBleedGreen18
01-02-2008, 09:13 PM
"He was asked to not practice at div 3 because he was playing so hard he was injuring his teammates"

"Its true that he's broken 11 facemasks"

"His teammates want to call him rudy but hes too talented for that"

Anyone else hear these?

Practicing so hard that you are injuring your teammates and breaking facemasks is pretty BA.

jbeans187
01-02-2008, 09:16 PM
anyone see that 57 yard run to the house?

I was impressed by his cut to the outside on that run

scar988
01-02-2008, 09:23 PM

meh, I see him more as Lorenzo Neal. he won't be getting as many carries in the NFL.

energizerbunny
01-03-2008, 12:38 AM
I don't think he will be very successful running the ball, runs way to high.

He could make a living as a TE/FB and playing special teams. He seems to be a good glue type of player that you want in every locker room, relentless and will do whatever you ask of him.
That said I don't expect him to get draft much higher than the 6th round

Gi-15
01-03-2008, 06:11 AM
Well, good Fullbacks are getting more and more rare, and this one is a real good one. I'd say 4th round, at least.

Buffalo M
01-03-2008, 06:34 AM
After last night, all I can say is WOW. I envy the team that drafts him. I hope it's Buffalo.

Iamcanadian
01-03-2008, 11:23 AM
I love the guy but it is going to come down to his 40 time and no matter what people say, he'll have to show us at the combine that he can run at least a 4.7 to get into day 1. If he runs slower than that, he'll go on day 2.
Nobody can guarantee what he will run.

nhlkdog411
01-03-2008, 12:22 PM
after breaking a 60 yard run against a team as good as oklahoma you're doubting his ability to break 4.7?especially when reports from around his school have him sub 4.6?

kwilk103
01-03-2008, 12:50 PM
hes also the strongest guy on the team

RyanLeaf#1
01-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Nice to see him with a long run last night. All the work he put in he deserved it.

Palmer26
01-03-2008, 01:21 PM
I think Scott Wright has missed the boat on Schmitt so far.

Before last night, I had Owen Schmitt as a 3rd rounder. Last night he showed his blocking ability aswell as his running skills. On the big run, he made a nice cut and eluded a couple of tacklers and as Matt Vasgersian put it "A runaway beer truck" into the end zone.

Not only is Schmitt a great leader blocker, a good runner and a very capable receiver out of the backfield, he is loaded with intangibles. He is a born leader. He also LOVES football. He is certainly a throwback player.

Schmitt will be a celebrity at the Senior Bowl and Combine. I believe he will test very well and I expect to see him taken as a 2nd round pick. Teams such as the Chiefs, Steelers and Beats will be salivating over him.

bored of education
01-03-2008, 01:31 PM

Before last night, I had Owen Schmitt as a 3rd rounder. Last night he showed his blocking ability aswell as his running skills. On the big run, he made a nice cut and eluded a couple of tacklers and as Matt Vasgersian put it "A runaway beer truck" into the end zone.

Not only is Schmitt a great leader blocker, a good runner and a very capable receiver out of the backfield, he is loaded with intangibles. He is a born leader. He also LOVES football. He is certainly a throwback player.

Schmitt will be a celebrity at the Senior Bowl and Combine. I believe he will test very well and I expect to see him taken as a 2nd round pick. Teams such as the Chiefs, Steelers and Beats will be salivating over him.

KC has much more pressing needs than a 2nd round FB.

Young Legend
01-03-2008, 01:33 PM
he reminds me of Jon Ritchie..if only Schmitt would bleed on his forhead every game..

BeerBaron
01-03-2008, 01:49 PM

i wouldn't complain too much if he were a bear. I know they'll stay away from any RB's because its too early to give up on benson and wolfe, but a FB? i can see that... damn, anyone running behind schmidt ought to have some holes to run through.

and just imagine having him as a wedge breaker on special teams.....

SuperKevin
01-03-2008, 01:55 PM
After last night, all I can say is WOW. I envy the team that drafts him. I hope it's Buffalo.

Buffalo has no need for him. We have two capable RBs and a 3rd in Dwayne Wright that could be our goal line back in the future. We also have some talent at FB with Derek Schouman and Ryan Neufeld

DiG
01-03-2008, 02:21 PM
im praying the skins pick him up. im hoping hes there for us in the 3rd. sellers is a pimp but he is 32 this year. Schmitt would make a killing on special teams and would probably get a good amount of playing time too as Sellers tends to get knicked up here and there and in a few years itd be all Owen all the time.

SuperKevin
01-03-2008, 02:24 PM
im praying the skins pick him up. im hoping hes there for us in the 3rd. sellers is a pimp but he is 32 this year. Schmitt would make a killing on special teams and would probably get a good amount of playing time too as Sellers tends to get knicked up here and there and in a few years itd be all Owen all the time.

he'd also make a good backup to Chris Cooley at H-back

Scotty D
01-03-2008, 02:26 PM
I think he ends up a Patriot.

SuperKevin
01-03-2008, 02:26 PM

Could happen but I doubt it. They already have like 5 guys on the roster that fill his role

BeerBaron
01-03-2008, 02:27 PM

that would be sick...he seems like the kind of guy who would fit that system well

DiG
01-03-2008, 02:54 PM
he'd also make a good backup to Chris Cooley at H-back

mhmmmm http://www.hanasplayhouse.com/kaos/nod.gif

BamaFalcon59
01-03-2008, 04:13 PM
The Falcons could use him, but we have the highest paid fullback in the league.

He is going to be great.

Scotty D
01-03-2008, 04:13 PM
I was just thinking and I could see the Chargers making a run at him pretty early. Their offense depends on a bruising FB in Neal and Schmitt could step right i.

BeerBaron
01-03-2008, 04:30 PM
I was just thinking and I could see the Chargers making a run at him pretty early. Their offense depends on a bruising FB in Neal and Schmitt could step right i.

they still have neal though dont they?

maybe seattle could use him. they just lost mack strong to a career ending injury this year...and theyre another team fairly reliant on a big FB in the run game

JoeSixPac
01-03-2008, 05:02 PM

maybe seattle could use him. they just lost mack strong to a career ending injury this year...and theyre another team fairly reliant on a big FB in the run game
Neal is a fossil and might hang up the cleats in the next couple years if not this year. They need a replacement and Schmitt would be nice.

Gi-15
01-03-2008, 05:12 PM

I think Holmgren likes Leonard Weaver quite a bit, but indeed, he if could beat him out, which he can, he would be a terrific fit. The seahawks use the FB as a 3rd down back and likes to give him the ball. He could be a star in this system.

BeerBaron
01-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Neal is a fossil and might hang up the cleats in the next couple years if not this year. They need a replacement and Schmitt would be nice.

im not sure that fullback is really a position that needs years of development and whatnot...

if he was brought in and performed well, they might force neal out the door

Gi-15
01-03-2008, 06:30 PM
I dont think Neal is the type of guy that will retire, I think he will be "retired". I'm still pissed that the packers cut William Henderson, he should have retired a Packer. With a big ceremony and all that. But no, big ol' Willy went out like he played, in the shadow.

scottyboy
01-03-2008, 06:32 PM
He's no Brian Leonard...

ok, if he didnt go to WVA and have that awful hair, i'd probably like him a little

energizerbunny
01-03-2008, 06:40 PM

Don't get my wrong, he is a great college player... but usually with 2nd round picks you want to find pieces to the puzzle.

Schmitt is a great complimentary player but in no way is he going to be a 2nd round pick. Traditionally the best FBs are 4th or 5th round picks....

2 years ago one of the best FBs in college Matt Bernstein from Wisconsin went undrafted, he was a traditional lead blocker who really smashed heads. He even had a 100 yard rushing game or 2 in his career. In this aspect he was very similar to Schmitt, old school throwback, fan favourite..

Given Owen has a little bit better ball skills, but my point given is FBs are usually overlooked in the draft, 15 or 20 years ago he'd probally be a 2nd round pick, but in todays NFL he is probally a 4th-7th rounder.

Gi-15
01-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Yeah, but Brian Leonard last year was drafted in the 2nd round, and they are playing him at FB(which he is pretty average..)

Was that a screw up or am I missing something?

scottyboy
01-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Yeah, but Brian Leonard last year was drafted in the 2nd round, and they are playing him at FB(which he is pretty average..)

Was that a screw up or am I missing something?

well, first off, Leonard is a LOT better than average at FB

and secondly, let's just say I have an infatuation with Brian Leonard.

Gi-15
01-03-2008, 11:35 PM
well, first off, Leonard is a LOT better than average at FB

and secondly, let's just say I have an infatuation with Brian Leonard.

IMO his lead blocking his sub-par, he's getting his neck messed up. He just don't have the bulk to be a Full-Time FB in the NFL.

What I don't understand is why he isnt the one spelling SJ, if they liked Pittman more, why didn't they drafted him, and kept madison edgecock/drafted a blocking FB later in the draft? It's wasting his talent to keep him at FB.

Anyway, if Schmitt runs sub 4.7, he should be that versatile weapon (at the FB position) Leonard was envisionned to be. Brian is really more of a RB type. It's all in his honor to take one for the team and play the FB position, even if it may be shortening his career.

kwilk103
01-04-2008, 12:28 AM
isnt owen a lot bigger than leonard? schmitt's like 260

energizerbunny
01-04-2008, 01:34 AM
don't get these two guys confused, they don't have much in common other than the fact they both played FB in college.

Leonard was much more athletic and dynamic, which is why he was selected atleast 2 rounds higher then Owen will be.

FB is probally the lowest valued position other than Punter on the entire team.

Iamcanadian
01-04-2008, 08:42 AM
after breaking a 60 yard run against a team as good as oklahoma you're doubting his ability to break 4.7?especially when reports from around his school have him sub 4.6?

I've seen a ton of long runs in college by guys who when timed came up short. Schmitt has played a lot of college football and I don't think your going to find a consistant pattern of long runs. He's had very few and going ape because he broke one on TV doesn't change that. He'll still have to show he has the speed to be a lead blocker in the NFL, enough speed that he can stay ahead of the RB. We'll only know that at the combine.
I really like the guy but one play doesn't make you a NFLer.

kwilk103
01-04-2008, 08:51 AM
hes had several runs like that over his career

ones i remember (only from memorable games):

vs ou
vs ul 2yrs ago in ot
vs uga---50 yd run

had a couple nice ones vs rugters

has decent hands too; just wasnt used as much in the running game this year

and has a reported 4.6 40

Iamcanadian
01-04-2008, 09:09 AM
hes had several runs like that over his career

ones i remember (only from memorable games):

vs ou
vs ul 2yrs ago in ot
vs uga---50 yd run

had a couple nice ones vs rugters

has decent hands too; just wasnt used as much in the running game this year

and has a reported 4.6 40

I said I like him but reported times mean squat to me, they rarely pan out to be true. I have him as my #1 FB on my rankings but that doesn't mean that I still don't want to see him run at the combine. FB's are pretty notorious for running very slow times at the combine and I hope he isn't one of them.

hornjbob
01-04-2008, 12:21 PM
And he told people he didnt think he was big enough to play in the Big East coming out of D3, I wonder what his definition of big enough is

SuperKevin
01-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Schmidt is going to be hurt by the fact most teams aren't using FBs in most of their sets. However he will make a living as a crucial wedge buster on kickoff coverage

Primetime21
01-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Schmidt is going to be hurt by the fact most teams aren't using FBs in most of their sets. However he will make a living as a crucial wedge buster on kickoff coverage

Dont forget he can contribute to teams with his remarkable punts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5QPTHEgkso
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hbyq_1Ee30&feature=related

'cuse-213
01-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Mangini said he would like to go back to using a FB in our offense. And we dont even have an actual FB.. So FA or draft, the Jets will have a new one.

Gi-15
01-04-2008, 03:42 PM
He'll still have to show he has the speed to be a lead blocker in the NFL, enough speed that he can stay ahead of the RB.

What do you mean? pro bowlers like Mike Karney and Neal and Richardson doesn't run faster than 4.9 right now. Their block are rarely made farther than 5 yards past the line of scrimmage

go_ravens94
01-04-2008, 06:05 PM
If we (the Ravens) didn't have beastus maximus Le'Ron McClain, I'd take Schmitt in a heartbeat.

BroadwayJoe10
01-04-2008, 07:09 PM
If we (the Ravens) didn't have beastus maximus Le'Ron McClain, I'd take Schmitt in a heartbeat.

I liked McClain a lot coming out last year and was hoping the jets would grab them considering mangini said he wanted to impliment a FB more in his offense. He certainly has panned out for you guys and i'm hoping the consolation of us not getting him is allowing us to draft Schmitt this year. I read on some draft site that said this guy could see the 1st or 2nd round? I've never heard of a FB being drafted that high and was wondering what his actualy draft value should be. I was thinking high-mid 3rd for schmitt and maybe low 3rd for peyton hills??

Bearsfan123
01-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Bears can use someone with his fire.

nhlkdog411
01-06-2008, 03:57 PM
anyone else think he could be like brandon jacobs (perhaps a poor man's)? He has basically the same size and reportedly the same type of speed and whenever given the chance he has produced greatly.

amag
01-06-2008, 05:54 PM
I liked McClain a lot coming out last year and was hoping the jets would grab them considering mangini said he wanted to impliment a FB more in his offense. He certainly has panned out for you guys and i'm hoping the consolation of us not getting him is allowing us to draft Schmitt this year. I read on some draft site that said this guy could see the 1st or 2nd round? I've never heard of a FB being drafted that high and was wondering what his actualy draft value should be. I was thinking high-mid 3rd for schmitt and maybe low 3rd for peyton hills??

alstott and leonard are the only fbs i can think of that went before round 3

nhlkdog411
01-06-2008, 07:48 PM
rob konrad and tommy vardell of thetop of my head