PDA

View Full Version : Please close the other one

toonsterwu
12-22-2007, 08:48 AM
Finally got all three rounds done, but very lukewarm about this. The hardest thing to do is to forecast the hasty early exit decisions, the guys that fall a bit and that needs to be factored in. Iíll look it over Christmas Eve or Christmas (well, at that point, I may have to redo the order).

1st Round

1. Miami Dolphins

The addition of Parcells (hmm, never realized it was Duane Charles Parcells) helps narrow down the focus for this pick. While it is still possible that they go offense, it seems likely that the preference for this pick would be defense. The guess would be a pass rusher. That said, the two arching question that we canít answer is the one that we need to know. Is this a full rebuild and will Parcells hire guys that fit his system, even though he isnít the HC?

While there stands a chance that they look at QB, the best guess here is that they give John Beck another shot. I expect them to draft a QB, and relatively early (somewhere from the 2nd-4th), but not here. McFadden is tempting, but it doesnít feel like a Parcells type move. WR lacks value and they might as well wait on TG Jr. The OL is a passable thought, but itís probably still a wait and see.

The focus is thus on defense. Iím just not sold on all the Glenn Dorsey talk for Bill Parcells here. Itís not that he canít play a role as a 3-4 DE that slides in on passing situations, itís more of how good a fit is he. Is he an elite fit up here? Iím wary of that. Chris Long is a tempting thought here, but the problem is, how big is Chris Long? Thereís some speculation of 285-290 but others guessing the 270-280 range, which might be passable for some 3-4ís, but for a Parcells type team? Yes, size isnít everything, but it does make it a tad harder if you are undersized.

In a year where the top of the draft is wide, wide open, nothing would surprise me. The nod here goes to a pass rusher. This guy could be the edge talent that Parcells seeks in the rebuilding process.

Miami Dolphins pick: OLB/DE Vernon Gholston, the Ohio State

2. St. Louis Rams

How strong is Scott Linehanís vote of confidence? Is this a vote for appearanceís sake, or legitimate? Itís tough to figure out at this point. That said, the bigger issue may be if they hire a GM. This is actually the toughest top 10 pick because what the Rams do will shape the top half of the first moreso than any other team, wherever the Rams pick. For a bad team this year, they arenít far from competing. But are they close to putting together a top club? Tough to see.

Offensively, RB/QB seem like darkhorses. They still pass thought, and considering that surprises happen on draft day, I wouldnít rule it out. But it seems a bit unlikely. OL is a big need for them as they lacked consistency there this year. Defensively, are they going 3-4? If so, they have the pieces for a 3-4 line in place with Carriker at end and Ryan at NT. They could use another end, but I think Adeyanju/Wroten could be decent rotating at the other spot to not warrant a high pick on it (and good 3-4 DE fits can be found later). They could use an edge guy for the 3-4 or 4-3, though. A bit more bulk at LB isnít a bad idea, particularly if they go 3-4. The secondary seems unlikely.

Hereís the question I wrestle with Ė Do you spend a high pick on OL in a relatively deep OL draft when Pace will likely be back at LT and Barron at RT (barring a trade)? Itís possible, but spending heavily on 3 aspects of the line usually isnít a great idea overall, payroll wise, unless you are a step away. A groom and develop (drafting a tackle and starting them at guard) seems iffy. Defensively, Chris Long is a tempting thought here. He could slide in a 3-4 DE spot opposite Carriker, or be a base 4-3 end. There really isnít an edge type that I buy moving this high.

Long comes in 2nd again, though. Iím going with an ILB in James Laurinaitis. He seems like the type of player Haslett might fall in love with, and if they go 3-4, he gives them a good solid ILB option. Even in the 4-3, he might be a useful addition as he could play on the strongside, or slide into mike and let Witherspoon move somewhere else. Pisaís inability to stay healthy has to be a concern.

St. Louis Rams pick: LB James Laurinaitis, the Ohio State

3. New York Jets

After an up and down campaign, the offseason probably canít come soon enough for Mangini and Tannenbaum. Thereís loads of work to do. This wasnít a team that overachieved last year and underachieved this year. Thereís a lot of talent gaps that need to be filled in. The big question they need to ask themselves is whether or not Kellen Clemens is still the future. I have a hard time believing otherwise for now. The 2nd big question might be what to do with Jonathan Vilma.

The disappointment in DíBrickashaw Ferguson has prompted a lot of talk about going OL this high again. Itís definitely a possibility, but I still tend to think that is a fallback option for them, not the preferred road. I just think itís a bit too early to give up on Ferguson here, and drafting a RT this high is usually a poor idea. He hasnít been that bad, just not that good. A top young runner is definitely a consideration, as Leon Washington is more change of pace and Thomas Jones is getting up there in years. Defensively, the secondary can wait, with R&R giving some peace of mind. They seem likely to shop Vilma, but Harris will lessen the need for an ILB early. An edge rusher is needed. Their big need, though, is the DL. They need a NT, and better ends.

A couple tempting possibilities exist. As nice as McFadden is, I think they lean towards Chris Long here and hope that he can anchor that 30 front for years to come.

New York Jets pick: DL Chris Long, Virginia

4. Atlanta Falcons

Itís tough to assess their draft plans without really knowing the leadership. The fact that there was a dalliance with Bill Parcells doesnít seem to bode well for Rich McKay. Emmitt Thomas is clearly not going to be HC there. To be honest, Iíd give Mike Zimmer a shot, but I donít know if Blank will. That said, Petrino leaving was probably a good thing. He seemed an ill fit, and getting all the bad things out of the way may be best for this franchise.

Iím trying to debate the impact of the Petrino move. Does it make them more likely to go into full rebuild mode? Or perhaps do they go the ďafter the year of turmoil, letís try to be competitive sooner than later route?Ē In that regards, the debate is between Matt Ryan and Darren McFadden. They have the pieces of a good defense in place. Certainly, some DB depth is needed later, perhaps another LB later. About the only defensive position that might warrant high concern, IMO, would be DT, but with Rod Coleman and Trey Lewis coming back, it seems possible they wait. The other thought would be the OL where they could use another body.

But this pick comes to Ryan/McFadden for me. With QB, they begin the rebuilding process after cycling through guys this year. There are some offensive pieces in place, and a quality workhorse back in the 2nd round is possible (and they could always deal up). With McFadden, if they can find a decent signal caller that can work the ball to Crumpler and Roddy White, they might be a much more competitive squad than people would expect by next year. Add in that a quality signal caller may be available in round 2 to develop. The big positive of the Petrino move? I think it makes them less likely to deal some veterans. Nod goes to McFadden. I donít see them dealing down from this spot, but I could see them dealing up.

Atlanta Falcons pick: RB Darren McFadden, Arkansas

5. New England Patriots f/ San Francisco 49ers

Letís get one thing out of the way. It seems chic to fault the Niners for such a move now (dealing away their first rounder), but few were faulting them last year. Itís always easy to judge in hindsight, but the trade last year made some sense. While they were probably hoping for Bowe to slip, they did need some tackle talent, and if you see tackle talent that you like, you tend to go for it. Things just fell apart this year, and now, they donít have this pick to play with.

For the Patriots, this would be the dessert for a superb season. Any big questions this offseason? Perhaps at WR, where they need to figure out who stays and goes. Best guess has to be that theyíll work something out with Moss. Maybe Stallworth gets let go. Even then, they have Chad Jackson from a couple years ago, and Iím hardpressed to see him not get a shot next year, and Gaffneyís still around. The Patriots really donít have any glaring needs. Theyíll likely look to move, but this is a no-trade mock.

So, what to do here? The top LB options are off already, and itís hard to see someone meriting it enough for the Patriots to make the call. The DL may need another body or two, but this seems a bit high. The OL has good value here, but itís hard to see when they donít have any contracts coming up and their OL has played well. RB value is a reach here in all likelihood, and WR value isnít here. Uh, QB is a no.

Even if Samuel stays, they could use a DB talent. If he leaves, the need is magnified more. They might consider a safety if they deem Meriweather a bust (unlikely) or just a safety. That said, itís questionable if Kenny Phillips is a fair nod here. The call goes to CB, and the nod goes to Mike Jenkins, provided he checks out background wise.

New England Patriots pick: CB Mike Jenkins, South Florida

6. Baltimore Ravens

Another team where you would think that there might be some leadership changes this offseason, but their HC has already received a vote of confidence. How strong is that? Seems to be legit, which is somewhat confounding. I really felt like they needed some new blood. The biggest personnel questions revolve around that offense, particularly at the QB spot. Lacking a 3rd rounder, theyíll have to prudent in their decision making in a no-trade mock.

Defensively, CB is a concern. Rolle has health issues and their young corners havenít developed. Suggs is a FA, but it seems unlikely theyíd let him go. Outside of CB, the rest of their defensive needs seem more depth oriented for now. Offensively, theyíve actually got a lot of pieces in place. Thereís a young OL, although whether or not they have their LT of the future is debatable. There are young WRís, a solid RB, and TE. The issue is simply QB.

Will Matt Ryan be BPA at this spot? It seems very likely, and considering the meeting of need with value, the nod is to the BC signal caller. Troy Smith and Kyle Boller donít seem like they would stop a QB pick if Ozzie liked it, the latter because heís had enough time, the former because there isnít enough time to likely knock anyoneís socks off.

Baltimore Ravens pick: QB Matt Ryan, Boston College

7. Kansas City Chiefs

This really feels like a team at a crossroads. Theyíve been trying to adjust as their older guys have left while staying competitive. Clearly, a bump was hit on that road. Will Peterson try to push a win now mode in with the ďYou Play to WinĒ Coach? Or will he actually try and take a step back to rebuild?

Defensively, their young DTís were somewhat disappointing this year. They seem likely to be given another go around, although a later round DT pick might be possible. Assuming Allen stays, the DL is fine. LB talent is solid. They could use some DB help at CB. Offensively, thereís two huge questions, and an abundance of little ones. One, I keep asking myself Ė Has Brodie Croyle done enough to justify the Chiefs passing on a QB? I donít know the answer to that one. Considering the affinity Herm has for Brodie, I go back and forth. Two Ė what pieces of their OL will stick? Some other concerns would have to be with LJís health and the need for a secondary target.

QB or OL? I go back and forth on QB, and Iím passing this go around and going with OL. They have clear needs there, particularly for a top young LT. After leaning Jeff Otah yesterday, I wonder if the safety of Jake Long earns him the nod, even though Iím lukewarm on it. Does make some sense from a running game perspective. I guess the darkhorse would be that, if they fell in love with a DT and thought that DT could take their defense up one more level, they could go that route and decide to wait on OL until later.

Kansas City Chiefs pick: OT Jake Long, Michigan

8. Oakland Raiders

Overall, theyíve been a solid effort this year. Talentís still bit off, but Laneís done well with what he has. Next year might be just as tough, though, as theyíll be breaking in Russell full time. From a draft perspective, the big question, if it can even be considered a question, is how much control does Lane Kiffin have over the process? Or are we going to see an Al Davis pick here?

Defensively, the team really could use DL help. Their safety play has been disappointing this past year, but using this high a pick on a safety seems unlikely. Offensively, they could use a LT, more OL help, a stud WR, and perhaps a back to complement Fargas (if they can resign him). They wonít address a lot of the needs, since they lack a 3rd rounder. RB seems like it can wait, and value is iffy. OL seems like, system wise, a place they may wait on. WR value is fringy unless itís a left field pick.

LT or DL? The valueís probably better on the DL, and the nod goes there. After spending a day thinking of Ellis here, I go to Dorsey today. It seems quite possible in a trade situation that a team would move up for Dorsey.

Oakland Raiders pick: DT Glenn Dorsey, LSU

9. Cincinnati Bengals

The big question for me is, with Marvin Lewis likely back, how do they address the turmoil thatís been rumored? Is this a case of things rising to the surface due to losing? Or is this a case of things that were covered by winning? The other question is Ö whoís handling the scouting/personnel aspect?

Offensively, the OL is a fringy concern. If Andrews leaves, it still seems unlikely they go OL this high. WR? Well, if Chad and/or TJ gets moved, it becomes a possibility. For now, no. RB seems unlikely here. Anyhow, this pick should emphatically be defense. They could use help on almost all levels. A safety might be intriguing. Another LB would be nice, although getting Ahmad Brooks back should help. They could use DEís and DTís.

A lot of tempting possibilities. Two Southern California guys could be options in Rivers/Ellis. An end like Merling or Campbell could be a thought. Kenny Phillips could be on the radar. The need at end seems more significant than at tackle, but end depth might be better than tackle depth in this draft. The different varying ways theyíve tried to develop an inside pass rush keeps this pick as a DT.

Cincinnati Bengals pick: DT Sedrick Ellis, Southern California

10. Chicago Bears

Win now Ö or forever hold your peace? Okay, maybe not that extreme, but is this a ďkeep the window openĒ or a ďrebuild the windowĒ situation? That will play a huge factor in the process. If itís the latter, QB might be the route to go. If itís the former, itís a bit more wide open, although QB is still a possibility.

Defensively, safety is the main area of concern. If Briggs leaves, Williams/Okwo likely get a shot at LB. DL depth might be nice to add later on. Only at safety is there a potential need for a top 3 round pick. Offensively, WR could be a consideration, depending on what happens with Berrian. A young runner might be a thought for later. The big needs are at OL (2 guys would be nice) and at QB.

I donít want to make this move. Not at all. Itís either QB or OT here for me. As much as some Bears fans want safety, I just donít buy it here, as talented as Kenny Phillips might be. Brohm/Otah/Clady would top the list. If it was me, Iíd go Clady/Otah/Brohm. But itís Angelo, and the guess here is that Brohm gets the nod, as much as I donít want that, from the options available, even if Grossman signs a short term deal.

Chicago Bears pick: QB Brian Brohm, Louisville

11. Arizona Cardinals

For a couple years now, it seems that people have been waiting on the Cardinals to put it together. Things sure seem headed in the right direction, but they did stall a bit. That said, unlike the Green era, the Whisenhunt era seems to inspire more confidence. I think the biggest question for me, on the Cardinals, is actually whether or not Russ Grimm stays. Heís one of the best OL coaches out there, and heís really molded a group whose talent level is probably only average at best. If he leaves, it might require a more concerted effort to infuse the OL with talent.

Thus, I do think OL is a possibility this high. Itís fringy, but a thought if they loved someone, and the board stacks up well for that thought process. A young runner is the other offensive thought, although it seems a tad high here. Defensively, DL looks as if it can wait. Edge talent will depend on what they keep, and interior backers seem a bit high here. DB is a need, though, whether it be at CB (and moving Rolle to FS) or just a FS.

I think the preferable route is adding a CB, but the top guys on the board donít inspire more confidence than Antrel Rolle. Thus, they go to the U to add a FS to pair with Adrian Wilson. Wilson could allow Phillips to really maximize his athletic gifts.

Arizona Cardinals pick: S Kenny Phillips, the U

12. Denver Broncos

After an offseason that had a lot of people excited a mile high, their season came to a crashing halt for a variety of reasons. By no means was this a negative campaign. But not reaching the playoffs has to be considered a huge disappointment. The biggest question here is how to shore up that run defense. The offense seems headed in the right direction, although the OL could use some more.

Itís a real shame Phillips came off one spot ahead. He wouldíve been a tempting nod as they could use him. Itís possible they consider a Malcolm Jenkins to safety move, but that seems a fringy nod. Defensively, they could give a LB some consideration, even with DJ Williams having played better down the stretch. They have enough young ends. A young DT could be a thought, but value seems off and they added Thomas last year. Offensively, OL is the big issue. Whatís the call here?

Iím thinking Keith Rivers or Ryan Clady here. Not sure I like either option all that much (I am a big fan of Clady but not sold if theyíd really go for him here). The nod goes to Clady at the end, as LBís like Rivers can be found later.

Denver Broncos pick: OT Ryan Clady, Boise State

13. Carolina Panthers

The big question here is simple. Could a win or two save Foxís job? Considering the last couple years, one would think not, but who knows. Even if he stays, it puts a lot of things up in the air. If he leaves, that makes it even harder to figure out what happens. They face a lot of personnel questions.

Offensively, they need to find a QB of the future at some point. Is it Matt Moore? Or is a pick needed? They really need some OL help, and they could probably use another WR target, but thatís for later. Defensively, their pass rush has been pitiful. Another LB is a thought, but seems a bit high. Safety is a consideration, but value seems off here as Jenkins makes little sense (might as well move Gamble to FS and slide Richard Marshall in).

Brohm is off the board this time around. This leaves things a bit tougher. I donít see Woodson here. Otah isnít something I necessarily am sold on here, but itís a long thought. I think Iím leaning DL, but itís debatable what route to go. Charles Johnson was someone I liked, but Iím also realistic enough to know that a 3rd round pick isnít stopping anything unless he steps up big time down the stretch. Rucker seems done. There really isnít an interior player.

Donít know to be frank. Iím going DE.

Carolina Panthers pick: DE Phillip Merling, Clemson

14. Detroit Lions

After a huge start, the wheels have come off. Martz may be on the outs, and I have to wonder if Rod Marinelli (and Millen) arenít on the edge (not suggesting theyíll get canned, but that Rodís next year may be a make or break one). The big question I have? Hmm Ö thereís too many Ö but is Kevin Jones the lead back? It isnít a question thatís likely to influence their first round selection, but it is a significant question nonetheless.

Yes, offensively, I think they might look RB again at some point, but not here. The OL needs work. Defensively, I donít think anyone would begrudge them if they went DL, although that seems a weak move. LB is a possibility. The secondary could clearly use some work. Thereís talent here that meshes well with their needs. The names are well known Ė Jeff Otah, Malcolm Jenkins, Keith Rivers, with a RB as a darkhorse.

Whatís the call? Iím going the chic pick route. Rivers could be a Shelton Quarles type fit perhaps, but I tend to think they can find someone later. Someoneís going to nab Rivers, heís been high on the NFL radar for 2 years running now. I just am not sold here. Jenkins is intriguing, but positionally it doesnít make as much sense as the Otah route. Otah could be long gone already.

Detroit Lions pick: OT Jeff Otah, Pittsburgh

15. Philadelphia Eagles

Thereís two big questions here, and theyíve been long known. Whatís Andy Reidís future, and whatís Donovan McNabbís? The latter wonít impact their draft plans, as Kolb is set up already. The former would be an intriguing issue to follow, as their offensive schemes could change as a result of it. That said, for all the rumors, Reid seems likely to stay. Theyíve done a good job of adding depth in recent years, but they could use some critical pieces to move back into a playoff level.

Positionally, they could use WR help. But in the first? Iím not sure where all the WR talk is coming from. Considering the scheme and history, theyíd have to be really sold that someone would be a stud, and itís hard to imagine that they buy someone that strongly, particularly in a relatively weak WR draft, even with juniors included. OL has been talked about, but with the top 3 off the board, and with several recent picks on the OL, do they go with someone here? Seems unlikely. TE is a question, but value is lacking. Thus, this pick should be defense. It wouldnít stun me if they went DL, but that seems unlikely. LB seems a fringy thought unless they absolutely loved someone. CB depth is needed, and a stud safety is a thought.

Nod here goes to Malcolm Jenkins, but only warily. Iím not sold he is a great fit, but I guess if he struggles at corner, he could become Brian Dawkins replacement (or he could even partner up with Dawkins back there).

Philadelphia Eagles pick: DB Malcolm Jenkins, the Ohio State

16. New Orleans Saints

Itís certainly been an up and down campaign for the New Orleans Saints. The big question I have deals with the running game. Is there an answer, or is there a question? Itís an issue, because Payton is at his best when thereís a solid run game to complement his passing schemes. They need Deuce back, but how loose is his juice?

That said, no matter how they finish, they do need to make some changes to really push forward in the future. Offensively, itís unlikely a top pick is spent this high unless Payton is nuts. They have Meachem to give it a go with. A RT would be nice, but here? Eh. A RB? Doubtful. This pick likely goes defense, where there are areas of need. They could use a young, athletic DT type perhaps. A LB is definitely a thought. A CB would be nice. They seem disappointed with their safety play, but thatís unlikely this high.

It is interesting to note that their top 2 picks last year, Robert Meachem and Usama Young, were arguably ďworkoutsĒ. Is that a factor this year? Iím wary of CB because they might as well give Usama Young a go with it. That said, is there really a LB fit? The secondary should get the nod out of necessity. They canít depend on getting pressure every single time, and they need a guy there. Try, try again until they find the right guy.

I like Talib better, but I donít think heís a fit here. Just more of a hunch than anything substantial to base it on. The fast rising Leodis McKelvin gets the nod here for his man cover ability.

New Orleans Saints pick: CB Leodis McKelvin, Troy

17. Buffalo Bills

All in all, 2007 has to be considered a positive year for the Bills even if they finish on the outside looking in. Dick Jauron was a debatable hire at the time, but heís proven them right so far. Perry Fewell had a lot of injuries to deal with, but he had his guys hustling and playing. Heck, the leaving of Steve Fairchild may get the fans a bit happier as I find it more likely now that theyíll go with a bigger receiver to pair. The big question for me? While Trent Edwards is a question, that can only be addressed with experience/time. The big question for me is whether or not they have the impact talent to take this defense the next step.

Defensively, they still seem to lack an impact interior player. End is an unlikely nod this high, although a young guy could be sought. LB could be a possibility. They could use a CB. Offensively, they need another receiver. If a TE works his way up, it might be a thought. I think CB is a positional wait, and that LB isnít a first round focus. Thus the names to be tossed are Kentwan Balmer and any WR you want to throw out there.

Well, Kelly it is.

Buffalo Bills pick: WR Malcolm Kelly, Oklahoma

18. Houston Texans

Like Buffalo, the Texans season has to be considered a plus. After a hiccup when Johnson was out, they have rebounded and Kubiak seems to have them in the right direction. The big question here is whether or not thereís a QB controversy. That, though, clearly doesnít factor into their draft plans. The lack of a 2nd rounder will be a factor, which may get them more involved in trade discussions.

There are some defensive concerns. They could use another pass rusher on the DL, although definitely no where this high, and a situational/developmental guy may suffice. Another LB is a thought. A safety would be a possibility. But there are some big offensive concerns. They could use a workhorse RB. They could also search for offensive line help.

Iíd think that the lack of a 2nd rounder would leave them more inclined to go the offensive route Ö but I do wonder. Iím thinking Chris Williams, RB, or Keith Rivers. I think they should go offense, I really do, but part of me wonders if they are too cocky for that route. Their OL hasnít been giving up that many sacks, and system wise, I could really see Kubiak deciding against the RB route.

Houston Texans pick: LB Keith Rivers, Southern California

19. Washington Redskins

The big question entering this offseason is simple: What is Joe Gibbs future? Thereís been talk of an extension to give him one more year. That said, thereís also been rumors that he may call it quits considering his age. Itíll be a huge issue, and the pendulum seems to be swinging towards Gibbs staying. He may just want one more year, because this team seems close to a real run. Campbell was showing positive signs, and the run game still has legs. A touch here and there, and Gibbs may get his chance to finish on a high note in 2008-2009.

Offensively, the most immediate need is at receiver. They need another target. That said, itís debatable if this is a first round need. The rest of the offensive needs can wait, unless someone gets cut (such as OL depth). Defensively, a lot of focus could be put there, even though thatís the stronger of their two units. They could, unfortunately, look safety. Gregg Williams loved letting Taylor roam this year, but he could go back to using the cover 2 much more. Heís a very adaptable DC, so they might not press too hard any one direction. CB could be a thought, as Rogers was banged up, and Springs is no lock to be back (he could be moved to safety as well). The most positive aspect of this year has to be the development of Anthony Montgomeryís raw tools. That said, they could still use DL help at end.

DE or DB? I think they should go DE, but Iím leaning CB on this route. They finally have as close to a full litter of picks and can find a pass rusher later.

Washington Redskins pick: CB Aqib Talib, Kansas

20. Tennessee Titans

Overall, itís been a plus season for them. Entering this offseason, though, their questions revolve largely around Vince Young. For all the fault that his supporting cast should take, he really has to step up himself. That said, they do need to add some talent around him.

Defensively, their DE contract issues are a factor. They could look DE if things donít pan out. Maybe a mike backer gets a look, but that seems a later target. The secondary has played well enough to not warrant a look. DT becomes a possibility if Haynesworth leaves. Offensively, they could use skill players at WR and TE.

Whatís the call? Iím looking at Desean Jackson or Calais Campbell here. Jacksonís skillset is one that they currently lack (from a general perspective). Campbell may be too tempting of a raw talent to pass up. I wonder if Campbell is too good to not give a look to here.

Tennessee Titans pick: DE Calais Campbell, the U

21. Minnesota Vikings

No matter what happens, this late run not only saves Childress, but gives them a lot to build forward long run. The big question is whether or not Tarvaris Jackson is the future. That said, with the tendency for coaches to latch onto guys as their guys, and considering that Tarvaris was better the 2nd half, heíll likely get the nod. Theyíll need to upgrade the talent around him.

The OL needs can wait. The unit has played better, although bringing in some challengers on the right side later on canít hurt. Clearly, the backfield is fine. They could use a top notch WR. Defensively, they donít seem to have any standout needs. Their ends looked better this year, and interior depth can wait. DB seems a fringy focus this high.

Itís WR unless someone smacks them as too good to pass up. Nod is to Desean, who could be off already.

Minnesota Vikings pick: WR Desean Jackson, California

22. Seattle Seahawks

The Seahawks have gone under the radar this year. Part of it has to do with their soft schedule. The other part probably has to do with some (relative) inconsistency. That said, with Alexander missing, their offense adapted, and overall, the year has to be considered a plus. The big question, outside of Holmgren, is how to do the bridge to the future while being good now? They are nearing that crossroads.

Defensively, theyíve added a lot of depth in recent years. The secondary could probably use another shot, but not here. The linebackers seems are good. The DL could probably use an impact interior talent, but Marcus Tubbs coming back could be the answer to that question. Barring a surprise, I think this pick should go offense, where there are some needs. A TE is a thought, but their run game sputtered this year. Part of it was Alexander out and going to more spread looks at times. The other part has to do with an OL that went through ups and downs.

OL or the young runner? Based on the board, Iím leaning to the latter. The issue becomes a question of who. Itís probably from the Mendenhall/Jones/Stewart crop. I still prefer Mendenhall, but the nod here goes Stewart.

Seattle Seahawks pick: RB Jonathan Stewart, Oregon

23. Dallas Cowboys f/ Cleveland Browns

Iím sure most Cowboys fans, if not most NFL fans, expected the Cowboys to get a high pick as a result of the Brady Quinn trade. Unfortunately for them, and fortunately for the NFC, that wonít happen. Iím not sure if thereís a question I really have. Perhaps how active will the Cowboys be on draft day, as I expect activity.

Defensively, they have the LB depth for the 3-4 on hand, so no need for a top pick here. The secondary and DL could use additional assets, though. Offensively, a runner to pair with Marion Barber III gets consideration. A young WR is a thought, and Flozell Adams contract expiring could make the OL a thought, although they have some depth pieces in Free and Marten.

What route do they take here? I donít expect the Cowboys to be here. But thatís irrelevant for now. With a 2nd RB off the board, perhaps they jump on the chic Felix Jones route.

Dallas Cowboys pick: RB Felix Jones, Arkansas

24. Pittsburgh Steelers

For a quality team, it sure has been topsy turvy ride in some respects. My big thing is, Iíd really like to know Tomlinís timeline on the defense. How long do they stay in the 3-4? When will they incorporate more cover 2 looks? That sort of things.

Offensively, they could use some OL work. Another runner might be nice, but in all likelihood, thatís for later on. Some goes for WR. Defensively, CB depth is a thought. Interior backers might be a possibility. More DL depth could be used. This is a tough one to figure out.

CB value on the board makes it seem as if they can wait, and Iím not sold theyíd look for LB this early. Thus, Iím thinking DL or OL. Balmer adds some 3-4 DL depth, and heís a possibility as an interior pass rusher in the 4-3 akin to Adam Carriker last year in some regards.

Pittsburgh Steelers pick: DL Kentwan Balmer, North Carolina

25. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

The us against the world mantra held firm for Chucky this year. With Gruden looking like a return, after earlier rumors, the big question for me is how soon the offense can take the next step. Theyíve really retooled an aging defense. The next step is to make the offense better than, well, itís ever been in recent years.

One of the biggest positives for this year has to be the emergence of Earnest Graham. They should feel more comfortable with their RB situation next year. They could look at LTís. A WR is a thought. Defensively, if an interior talent stands out, sure. If not, it can wait. Maybe some secondary depth. Oh, a QB of the future has to be on the radar a bit. This pick should be offense.

A lot of LT talk this year, but really, Donald Penn has been solid enough. Maybe they draft someone later on, but here? Iím hard pressed to buy it. Iím leaning WR even though the value/fit is questionable. I donít buy Sweed, but he may be the better value. I buy Doucet, but is his value worth it here? I donít buy Hardy here as a fit. I could buy Manningham/Bennett as fits, but is the value here? Where does Caldwell fit into the equation? Caldwell seems left in the dust in draft talks. The durability issue is probably the main factor, but a Florida/Meyer stigma is also at work. I like Doucet better, but I could see Caldwell working into this spot.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers pick: WR Andre Caldwell, Florida

26. New York Giants

Itíll be interesting to see how they finish. Barring a stunner, Coughlin is back, particularly since expectations werenít all that high entering the year. Will Eli have earned enough rope to prevent them from picking a QB high? (not suggesting theyíd look for it here, but just in general). How do they go from perennial solid to good? It is an interesting question, and one that might not have any apparent answers.

Defensively, I still would like to see them upgrade at tackle, but clearly, thatís not a top focus or need. They could use a LB and they could look at CB. Both areas could use a fluid talent. Offensively, outside of QB, they could look at WR and OT.

I know, LB/CB is screaming with need. But this is a draft where LBís and CBís that fit what the Giants needs can be found later. With Diehlís struggles recently, Iím going OT here. The value is too good to pass for now.

New York Giants pick: OT Chris Williams, Vanderbilt

27. San Diego Chargers

After a slow start that left folks wondering if Norv Turner was in over his head, theyíve rebounded fairly well and are positioned to perhaps make a move. Thus, Norv Turner will be back, answering a big question from midseason. The big question I have overall is whether or not Philip Rivers is the man. Iíve never been huge on him, even in his draft year, and Iím not sold now. That, though, will have little to do with their draft plans.

Ideally, theyíd deal down and get more picks since the Chris Chambers and Eric Weddle trades have left the cupboard a bit bare, draft pick wise. Now, that said, AJ Smith has done a good job of building depth. There really isnít a glaring spot that screams out a need for top young talent. Defensively, I could see them adding DL depth if they liked someone. I could see them look DB again, perhaps a mixed type to offer depth. Offensively, they could look OL. Maybe a runner if they want someone. WR canít be ruled out but Craig ďBusterĒ Davis should get a chance.

For now, they are stuck. Whatís the call? Iím leaning DB again. If Godfrey struggles at corner, he could perhaps be slid back to become McCreeís understudy.

San Diego Chargers pick: DB Charles Godfrey, Iowa

28. Jacksonville Jaguars

After the QB switch right before the season, few wouldíve predicted a good year. To Del Rioís credit, heís rallied the troops and protected himself. A lot goes to David Garrard, who has arguably removed any questions they have on QB. Heíll be the guy in 08/09. But a lot of questions are left unanswered. The big thing for me is how to make this team more dynamic, on both sides of the ball.

Defensively, they could use an end. Bobby McCray hasnít taken the steps forward. Everything else would be depth related. Offensively, theyíve been trying for awhile to find a WR and it is still a concern. Considering Barnes history, I half wonder if they peek at some tackles, although it seems unlikely.

End and WR. Iím leaning end here with Chris Ellis in the hopes of boosting their edge pressure.

Jacksonville Jaguars pick: DE Chris Ellis, Virginia Tech

29. Green Bay Packers

Mike Sherman deserves a lot of credit for the strong campaign heís gotten out of this bunch. I may get flamed for this, but to the extent that theyíve done well this year, there is the possibility of them underachieving next year. Upgrading key areas will help to extend their window. The other issue is, how long is Favre around for? Only Brett knows the answer to that one, and only time will tell.

Defensively, they could use some secondary depth. CB and safety could both perhaps get looks. I think LB and DE can wait, but you never know if they fall in love with someone. Offensively, maybe the OL gets some consideration. Iím thinking BPA could really become a factor here.

While I think this is a smidgen high for him, Thompsonís recent history seems to lean towards productive, ďprovenĒ guys early on, even if their tools arenít great.

Green Bay Packers pick: CB Antoine Cason, Arizona

30. San Francisco 49ers f/ Indianapolis Colts

The big question(s) entering the offseason is quite simple Ė where do Nolan and Smith stand? With each other, and with the organization. Clearly, not enough progress has been made under Nolanís watch so far. Certainly, some potential explanatory factors for that, but winning is everything, and the loss of Norv Turner and Goreís issues made this offense ugly. Nolanís future may be decided by a GM, if one is hired.

From a personnel perspective, their defense could use some more front 7 help. Lawsonís injury hurt his developmental time, and they could still use a better edge talent along with Lawson anyways. Bryant Youngís impending retirement makes the DL needs greater, no matter the scheme. Offensively, their OL was a mess this year. Certainly, some raw talent is in place, but more isnít a bad idea. They still need a WR, and depth at RB may be a thought. A young QB as protection may be an idea.

My initial lean was to QB, which would be something that many Niners fans would probably prefer to avoid. I think theyíll still pick someone relatively early, but at this point in the draft might be a smidge high. Iím going with the WR to give Alex Smith a shot route, and also WR for in case a rookie QB gets pressed in.

San Francisco 49ers pick: WR Limas Sweed, Texas

31. Dallas Cowboys

The same needs apply for the Cowboys. After adding their runner, they could look at DB/DL/OL/WR. Iím leaning DB with this pick. Iím wondering how Terrell Thomasí injuries factor into the equation, but he could be a possibility here for them if things check out.

Dallas Cowboys pick: DB Terrell Thomas, Southern California

32. New England Patriots Ė forfeited

2nd Round

33. Miami Dolphins

They added Gholston as a pass rusher. They could use some more DL help. Interior LBís can probably wait. Another CB could be an option. Offensive line help could be looked at. So could RB and perhaps even a WR. QB canít be ruled out. I think Boone might bolt, and he could go a bit higher (not sold on high first, though, at best, mid-first), but heís fallen to this point, and he could be a nice toy.

Miami Dolphins pick: OL Alex Boone, the Ohio State

34. New York Jets

They hope they added their 3-4 stud DE earlier. What now? A pass rusher is a thought. A NT would be nice. DB depth can likely wait, but if they love someone, itís a possible go. RB is a thought. OL might be an option. WR could be given a look. A lot of possibilities, but I wonder if the plus value of Rashard Mendenhall might be too good to pass up.

New York Jets pick: RB Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois

35. Atlanta Falcons

They added their stud RB earlier. They could look for a QB to groom. NT is a thought defensively. OL is an option. Nod goes to the QB to groom.

Atlanta Falcons pick: QB Joe Flacco, Delaware

36. St. Louis Rams

They added some LB bulk earlier. What now? Defensively, a pass rusher could be a look. Offensively, OL help might be sought after. Donít rule out darkhorses. Sam Baker might be too tempting here. Even if he doesnít pan out at tackle, he could be a good guard.

St. Louis Rams pick: OL Sam Baker, Southern California

37. Baltimore Ravens

They hope they added their QB of the future earlier. Certainly, OL could get a snippet of a look. Defensive talent could be sought in a lot of places. But one of the main areas of need is CB, and with them lacking a 3rd, CB is the nod (and the value should be good).

Baltimore Ravens pick: CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tennessee State

38. Kansas City Chiefs

This go around, they went with consistency in Jake Long early. What now? More OL could be sought. CB could be a look. QB canít be ruled out. Same goes for WR. Leaning WR here.

Kansas City Chiefs pick: WR James Hardy, Indiana

39. Oakland Raiders

After hopefully adding a defensive leader and an interior pass rusher, whatís next? End is a thought. DB can likely wait considering the lack of a third rounder. Offensively, OL/WR/RB could all be possibilities. Iím leaning OL here.

Oakland Raiders pick: OT Anthony Collins, Kansas

40. San Francisco 49ers

They hope they finally found a lead receiver, which lets everyone else slot better. What now? QB is a thought. Pass rusher and DL talents are thoughts. Leaning DL here.

San Francisco 49ers pick: DL Dreí Moore, Maryland

41. Chicago Bears

They went QB earlier and now they need to address OL and S in regards to top needs. Iíd rather see them go with more LT potential, but OT is needed no matter what, and Cherilus may be a guy Angelo takes a long look at.

Chicago Bears pick: OT Gosder Cherilus, Boston College

42. Cincinnati Bengals

After adding a guy they hope can boost the interior pass rush by himself, what now? DE and LB could be looked at. Maybe safety. The guess is this pick stays defensive. As tempting as double USC may be, as intriguing as Derrick Harvey is, the nod goes to the solid Dan Connor in the hopes of finding some leadership and consistency.

Cincinnati Bengals pick: LB Dan Connor, Penn State

43. Denver Broncos

Clady could be a big boost to the OL. A guy with size and agility. He doesnít address their defensive needs, and they must look at that here. DT/LB/S are thoughts. I have Geno Hayes slated to come out, and he slips a bit for me once the Giants passed. He gets the nod here.

Denver Broncos pick: LB Geno Hayes, Florida State

44. Carolina Panthers

Merling could be a big help to the DL. They could still look defense, with LB a thought, along with safety. They could go offense, where the OL needs work. That said, a QB of the future gets the nod. I like Woodson, hitch and all. But his stock seems to be slipping a bit. Maybe the postseason boosts it, but Iím wary of that possibility.

Carolina Panthers pick: QB Andreí Woodson, Kentucky

45. Detroit Lions

They went OT earlier. Offensively, maybe RB gets a peek. But some defensive assets are need at LB and CB. Iím leaning CB on value.

Detroit Lions pick: CB Brandon Flowers, Virginia Tech

46. Philadelphia Eagles

After adding a DB earlier, whatís next? Another DB wouldnít be a bad idea. Trench depth is never a bad thing. A WR could be a factor. Thereís some talk that Michael Hamlin may come out, so Iíll play with it. He could go a bit higher.

Philadelphia Eagles pick: S Michael Hamlin, Clemson

47. Arizona Cardinals

They added Phillips earlier. CB could still get looked at. Defensive front 7 could be a consideration. OL is a possibility. A young runner is a thought. Iíll lean with a young runner here and Ray Rice, who could be off the board. Heís a very instinctive player.

Arizona Cardinals pick: RB Ray Rice, Rutgers

48. Buffalo Bills

Kelly should help their passing game. Iím thinking defense here mainly, but TE is on the periphery. But LB/CB/DT could all get looks. Well, whaddya know. Iím going TE.

Buffalo Bills pick: TE Fred Davis, Southern California

49. Atlanta Falcons f/ Houston Texans

McFadden and Flacco gives the offensive future a rosy look. They could use some OL help. Defensively, a NT would be nice. The last junior OT that I had bolting is still standing.

Atlanta Falcons pick: OT Philip Loadholt, Oklahoma

50. Washington Redskins

They added a CB earlier. A DE could be looked at. S is a thought. OL and WR are possibilities. Iím looking DE. Someone probably has moved up for him by this point.

Washington Redskins pick: DE Derrick Harvey, Florida

51. New Orleans Saints

Saints hope McKelvin can address corner. What now? Safety could be a passing thought. LB is a possibility, as is DT. RT is a thought. Iím leaning LB with the physically gifted Beau Bell.

New Orleans Saints pick: LB Beau Bell, UNLV

52. Minnesota Vikings

They added a potential WR playmaker earlier. Whatís next? For some reason, Iím thinking OL and perhaps Mike McGlynn here.

Minnesota Vikings pick: OL Mike McGlynn, Pittsburgh

53. Tennessee Titans

After adding a DE, they should be looking offense here, WR or TE. The nod goes WR who has slipped a bit.

Tennessee Titans pick: WR Early Doucet, LSU

54. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

They went WR earlier. What now? QB is a thought. DT could be a thought. CB canít be ruled out. Iím leaning CB here.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers pick: CB Trae Williams, South Florida

55. Pittsburgh Steelers

After adding Balmer, Iím thinking OL/CB here. Nod goes interior OL.

Pittsburgh Steelers pick: OG Roy Schuening, Oregon State

56. New York Giants

Well, there was the OT pick. Now, LB and CB need to be looked at. Looking CB first.

New York Giants pick: CB Patrick Lee, Auburn

57. Miami Dolphins f/ San Diego Chargers

OL and pass rusher have been the early focus. DL could be a look, as could RB. Maybe CB as well. Maybe Red Bryant?

Miami Dolphins pick: NT Red Bryant, Texas A&M

58. Cleveland Browns

The big question heading into the offseason, for me, at least, is with the defense and run game. You figure Derek Anderson is still going to be there. The defense just isnít all that good. They could still use another pass rusher, and they could use a lot of DL help. Offensively, the Jamal Lewis situation leaves things up in the air.

Unfortunately, DL value is fringy. So where do they look? He might be long gone already, although I think thereís a decent chance that heís available.

Cleveland Browns pick: OLB/DE Quentin Groves, Auburn

59. Jacksonville Jaguars

After adding an end, WR could be a look. Maybe secondary depth. BPA? Leaning WR.

Jacksonville Jaguars pick: WR Jordy Nelson, Kansas State

60. Seattle Seahawks

OL could get a look here. WR canít be ruled out. DB canít be ruled out either. Going OL.

Seattle Seahawks pick: OT Oniel Cousins, UTEP

61. Indianapolis Colts

The big question for them is obvious Ė how healthy will Dwight Freeney be? Theyíve done a good job of building depth. Defensively, maybe DT. Offensively, OL could use some more looks. Iím leaning OL here, with Tony Hills.

Indianapolis Colts pick: OL Tony Hills, Texas

62. Green Bay Packers

They went CB earlier. What now? Maybe my lukewarm sentiments towards Aaron Rouse is playing a factor in this, but Iím leaning safety.

Green Bay Packers pick: S Thomas DeCoud, California

63. Dallas Cowboys

Terrell Thomas and Felix Jones address a couple needs. They could look OL here. DL is a thought, and same goes for WR. Iím leaning WR to stretch the field.

Dallas Cowboys pick: WR Donnie Avery, Houston

64. New England Patriots

After adding a CB earlier, they could perhaps look LB here. DL talent is a possibility, as is WR. OL depth canít be ruled out, and a young runner could be a thought. Iím leaning to the versatile and athletic Ezra Butler as a defensive toy.

New England Patriots pick: LB Ezra Butler, Nevada

3rd Round

65. Miami Dolphins

Theyíve added Red Bryant/Vernon Gholston for the defense and Alex Boone for the offense. What now? I could see the secondary get a look. A running back is a thought. Iím leaning secondary here and Tracy Porter as a good value.

Miami Dolphins pick: CB Tracy Porter, Indiana

66. Atlanta Falcons

Theyíve added a lot for that offense, Loadholt/Flacco/McFadden. The defense could get a look now. Could they gamble on the physically gifted Frank Okam? Itís a thought.

Atlanta Falcons pick: DT Frank Okam, Texas

67. St. Louis Rams

They added Baker and Laurinaitis. What now? Perhaps a pass rusher is on the menu. Jones may be flexible enough for a hybrid D.

St. Louis Rams pick: DE/OLB Jason Jones, Eastern Michigan

68. New York Jets

Long could be their stud end, and Mendenhall could be their stud back. What now? A pass rusher is still a need. The OL still needs assets. Nod goes OL here.

New York Jets pick: OL Carl Nicks, Nebraska

69. Kansas City Chiefs

Iím thinking CB or OL here. The upside is slim, but DeJuan Tribble should be able to help in some role.

Kansas City Chiefs pick: CB DeJuan Tribble, Boston College

70. New England Patriots f/ Oakland Raiders

LB and CB have been addressed. More LB help could be sought. DL depth is an idea. WR could be a look, along with RB. OL depth? Iím thinking a physical back maybe a thought here to split with Maroney.

New England Patriots pick: RB Matt Forte, Tulane

71. San Francisco 49ers

Dreí Moore and Limas Sweed could address big areas for them. A pass rusher is still needed, but if thereís good QB value, I could see it, and Brennan could be a solid value here.

San Francisco 49ers pick: QB Colt Brennan, Hawaii

72. Buffalo Bills f/ Baltimore Ravens

Offense has been addressed with Malcolm Kelly and Fred Davis. The look is probably defense here, with DT/LB/CB all possible. Um, thinking LB here.

Buffalo Bills pick: LB Erin Henderson, Maryland

73. Cincinnati Bengals

Connor and Ellis are two nice pieces. Maybe they go back to the Trojans and pick up Lawrence Jackson here as a pass rushing end.

Cincinnati Bengals pick: DE Lawrence Jackson, Southern California

74. Chicago Bears

Havenít exactly given my Bears picks that I like in Brohm and Cherilus. What now? S and more OL could be on the menu. WR is a possibility. RB is a thought. LB could be looked at. A whole host of possibilities. I think safety? Very unsure on this call based on whatís left.

Chicago Bears pick: S Quintin Demps, UTEP

75. Carolina Panthers

Woodson and Merling are two nice building/retooling blocks. Whatís next? OL needs some work and the valueís been flying off the shelves.

Carolina Panthers pick: OT Chad Rinehart, Northern Iowa

76. Philadelphia Eagles

WR/TE could get looked at. Iím thinking someone like Lavelle Hawkins may really fit in.

Philadelphia Eagles pick: WR Lavelle Hawkins, California

77. Detroit Lions

Flowers and Otah earlier. Perhaps LB now? I considered him for their 2nd round pick.

Detroit Lions pick: LB Tavares Gooden, the U

78. Arizona Cardinals

Phillips and Ray Rice. What now? OL/DL could be thoughts. A CB could be a possibility, as could LBís, inside and out. Oy .. uh going with OT here because well, itís Mike Gandy right now. Grecoís not a great LT prospect, but well, Leinart is lefty, and heís still likely the future there.

Arizona Cardinals pick: OT John Greco, Toledo

79. Minnesota Vikings f/ Denver Broncos

Jackson and McGlynn are two nice parts to help that offense. Whatís next? I wonder if they may still add a QB.

Minnesota Vikings pick: QB John David Booty, Southern California

80. Houston Texans

They picked up a LB earlier. While a pass rusher is a thought, and a safety is a need, both can wait. Iím thinking RB here, and wondering if Chris Johnson might excel in the scheme.

Houston Texans pick: RB Chris Johnson, East Carolina

81. Washington Redskins

Talib and Harvey could be huge for that defense. The focus should be on offense here, with OL and WR. Leaning WR and Keenan Burton.

Washington Redskins pick: WR Keenan Burton, Kentucky

82. New Orleans Saints

They looked CB and LB earlier. What now? OL? DT? RB? S? Perhaps a slight reach, but Iím thinking Kirk Barton might be intriguing.

New Orleans Saints pick: OT Kirk Barton, the Ohio State

83. Buffalo Bills

Kelly/Davis helps that O, while Henderson is a step for the D. What now? Perhaps a CB.

Buffalo Bills pick: CB Dwight Lowery, San Diego

84. Tennessee Titans

A WR was added along with a DE. A TE asset could be nice. Perhaps Purdueís Dustin Keller could be a receiving threat.

Tennessee Titans pick: TE Dustin Keller, Purdue

85. Minnesota Vikings

Jackson/McGlynn/Johnson are all offensive assets. A defensive nod may be in store here, perhaps DL or DB. Could a gamble be in store?

Minnesota Vikings pick: DT Demario Pressley, North Carolina State

86. Pittsburgh Steelers

Theyíve worked the trenches in Balmer/Schuening. What now? CB? LB? WR? More OL? Perhaps a big target like Adarius Bowman?

Pittsburgh Steelers pick: WR Adarius Bowman, Oklahoma State

87. New York Giants

Well, time to add that LB. Going with Adibi here over Highsmith, as I wonder if Adibi may offer a bit more versatility.

New York Giants pick: LB Xavier Adibi, Virginia Tech

88. Chicago Bears f/ San Diego Chargers

This is definitely not a Bears draft that I really like. Brohm? Eh. Cherilus? Bleh. Demps? Okay. A lot of possibilities here. LB? DL? OL? RB? WR? I wonder if a hard-nosed type like Mike Hart might be tempting for Jerry. Eh.

Chicago Bears pick: RB Mike Hart, Michigan

89. Cleveland Browns

Groves gives them another potential pass rusher. What else? DL could use some work. Iíll bite on John Murphyís call here.

Cleveland Browns pick: DL Ahtyba Rubin, Iowa State

90. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Caldwell and Trae Williams were the earlier nods. What now? OL? QB? Defense? Iím leaning QB here, perhaps someone like Josh Johnson is to Grudenís liking.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers pick: QB Josh Johnson, San Diego

91. Seattle Seahawks

They went OL with the last pick, and RB earlier. What now? TE seems possible.

Seattle Seahawks pick: TE Martin Rucker, Missouri

92. Jacksonville Jaguars

Ellis and Nelson potentially address two big areas. What else? QB? OL? More DL? LB? Iím thinking DB for some reason.

Jacksonville Jaguars pick: S Jamar Adams, Michigan

93. Green Bay Packers

The secondaryís gotten some assets. What now? RB? OL? DE? LB? Perhaps they try out Crable, who could be a pass rusher in passing situations.

Green Bay Packers pick: LB Shawn Crable, Michigan

94. Indianapolis Colts

They added OL earlier. What now? A lot of possibilities. They donít need him, but could his value be too good to pass up?

Indianapolis Colts pick: LB Ali Highsmith, LSU

95. Dallas Cowboys

Jones/Thomas/Avery gives them some athletes. What now? OL? DL? Iím leaning DL.

Dallas Cowboys pick: DL Maurice Murray, New Mexico State

96. New England Patriots

Butler and Jenkins help key areas defensively. Forte may be an intriguing fit for the run game. What now? I wonder if 3-4 DL value may get a nod.

New England Patriots pick: DL Kendall Langford, Hampton

Still eh on this one. A lot of the senior ends dropped like rocks. Not impossible, but they did drop. My Bears had a draft I dislike. Was there too much of an OL run?

Who's not on here that people think should be?

king2am
12-22-2007, 09:01 AM
First of all, let me applaud your efforts in this. You obviously took a lot of time and worked your rear end off on this thing.

With that said, I am a big fan of your Niners draft. If by some grace of the big man upstairs, Colt Brennan is there in the 3rd for us (which I have my doubts he will), I think that is the steal of the draft. And i'm also one of the fans of Sweed this year.

I'm working on the finishing touches on mine, and I as well have Gholston going number one, I think it could be a very good possibility.

The slip of Andre Woodson intrigues me, and I think a quarterback in that 'trio' could definitely slip out of the first round, but i'm not sure it'll be Woodson, he has a lot of upside.

Without looking at every team's every pick, I think you did a fantastic job.

toonsterwu
12-22-2007, 09:06 AM
Thanks.

On Woodson - I'm actually a big fan of his. But of the current top three, Woodson is also the one with the most risk. He might have the higher upside of the Brohm/Woodson/Ryan trio, but he comes with the most risk and I think for that factor, if one of them slips out, I'd lean that way.

Thing with Brohm is, while I'm not a fan, I have a hard time seeing him bust. At worst, he'll be a backup. A realistic scenario would be him developing into a decent starter.

Ryan seems slowly settling into the number 1 spot with a bit of separation. I think it'd take something huge (a superb offseason from someone, or something really bad on Ryan's part) to knock him out, but only time will tell.

Xiomera
12-22-2007, 09:13 AM
Good Lions draft. I would definitely say you hit on the three correct positions of need for Detroit.

As always, that is an impressive mock. Though Gholston #1 was a bit of a shock. 2 Buckeyes at the top? Ugh, lol

doingthisinsteadofwork
12-22-2007, 09:29 AM
I like Ellis better than Dorsey but its a good pick.I dont know anything about Collins but we do need another OT.

gsorace
12-22-2007, 09:42 AM
Don't like the Jets mock at all.

Would rather have McFadden and then Gosder Cherilus or Dre Moore in the second.

Bills2083
12-22-2007, 09:44 AM
A+ Bills draft

1. Malcolm Kelly
2. Fred Davis
3. Erin Henderson
3. Dwight Lowery

I wouldn't change a thing

PACKmanN
12-22-2007, 10:01 AM
Toonsterwu, we are not a blitzing team so I don't understand the Crable pick, give us Erin Henderson in the second round. In the third, give us the best available DT or OT. We don't need a Safety, Rouse has been a stud when he started in 2 games, also Collins will not be replaced, and hasn't been bad for us.

None of these Safeties are better then what we already have.

ATLDirtyBirds
12-22-2007, 10:02 AM
Good Falcons mock. Not too sure on Okam though. Not the position, the player. Roguh that Moore is gone, so I might go Pressely.

Matthew Jones
12-22-2007, 10:10 AM
To tell you the truth, I didn't think much at all of the Patriots draft. Mike Jenkins isn't the physical, zone-cover corner the Patriots like, and the Patriots DO have a physical back to split carries with Maroney - Sammy Morris, and he's got three years left on his deal, I believe. Plus, Heath Evans and Kyle Eckel are RB/FB tweeners who have been productive. Langford is a good value, Butler is okay. I'd go with someone like a Malcolm Jenkins in the first, as he's a bit more physical than Mike. Butler is okay in the second, maybe Kirk Barton as a value over Forte.

Don Killuminati
12-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Definitely not the direction I would have chosen to go in Rd2. Dorsey in Rd1, however, would be a steal. I'm hoping that Rd2 ends up being another DL. Back to back DTs, or DT/DE. Lining Dorsey alongside Red Bryant sure is tempting.

toonsterwu
12-22-2007, 11:12 AM
Toonsterwu, we are not a blitzing team so I don't understand the Crable pick, give us Erin Henderson in the second round. In the third, give us the best available DT or OT. We don't need a Safety, Rouse has been a stud when he started in 2 games, also Collins will not be replaced, and hasn't been bad for us.

None of these Safeties are better then what we already have.

My thinking there would be that Crable slides into a pass rushing end role on passing situations.

There wasn't an OT that made sense.

toonsterwu
12-22-2007, 11:13 AM
To tell you the truth, I didn't think much at all of the Patriots draft. Mike Jenkins isn't the physical, zone-cover corner the Patriots like, and the Patriots DO have a physical back to split carries with Maroney - Sammy Morris, and he's got three years left on his deal, I believe. Plus, Heath Evans and Kyle Eckel are RB/FB tweeners who have been productive. Langford is a good value, Butler is okay. I'd go with someone like a Malcolm Jenkins in the first, as he's a bit more physical than Mike. Butler is okay in the second, maybe Kirk Barton as a value over Forte.

I've come to believe that Malcolm is a reach in the top 10.

Chucky
12-22-2007, 11:22 AM
I really think that the Bucs would take Andre WOodsen at that spot. Even though he doesnt fit the system perfectly. Gruden has a thing for QB's, and i doubt he would pass up someone with his potential.

skinzzfan25
12-22-2007, 11:37 AM
Pretty good Redskin mock.

thebow305
12-22-2007, 12:01 PM
Amazing Phins draft... only thing that would make it better would be Okam instead of Bryant if Okam could play NT, if not, then it's fine. Nice work overall.

You have Boone much higher rated than I have ever seen him, I don't really have a problem with it, since he is huge and is a very good prospect, I just don't think he will leave OSU this year.

princefielder28
12-22-2007, 12:15 PM
I like the selection in round 1 for the Packers with Cason but not a big fan of Thomas DeCoud in round 2. I think he may be a bit overrated and I actually like Jonthan Hefney at safety if the Packers look to go there. I like the Crable choice in round 3

bearfan
12-22-2007, 12:21 PM
1st 3 Bears picks I like, they fit what we should be doing...but I dont like the Hart pick. I would rather go after Fargas, or Turner in FA *fargas for RBBC, Turner if we let Benson loose, or give up on him.

scar988
12-22-2007, 12:26 PM
Flacco over Woodson? other than that good Falcons draft. but I just think we go Woodson over Flacco.

Matthew Jones
12-22-2007, 12:29 PM
I've come to believe that Malcolm is a reach in the top 10.

So's a player who wouldn't fit well into our system, though. What about Jake Long?

Babylon
12-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Dont see Gholston near the top but overall a nice body of work there.

fenikz
12-22-2007, 01:26 PM
Phillips is a great pick in the 1st, but Rice isn't a good one in the 2nd, we still have Edge, Shipp & Arrington, RB isn't a huge need for us, so unless McFadden Falls in the 1st or Stewart falls in the 2nd i don't think we address it until the 5th round or so. Phil Loadholt is the perfect pick there and it would be very Cardinals like for us to take him(position of need high value player) So then in the 3rd we could go CB or 3-4 OLB, Dwight Lowery would fit well.

so for future references our biggest needs are in this order

CB
3-4 OLB / 4-3 DE
FS
OT
RB

very nice work overall though

Turtlepower
12-22-2007, 01:56 PM
I am a fan of Chris Williams, but I would take Sam Baker in a heart beat over him. I think that Sam Baker is the product of a lot of scrutiny this year after coming into this season as a top-10 player in the country. His injuries sure didn't help, but I feel that he would be a great pass-blocker for our o-line because that is what we truly need. As for not addressing CB/LB in Round 1, I agree that they can be had later, but I think hoping for someone like Adibi to drop all the way to the end of round 3 is wishful thinking.

But honestly, I wouldn't be too upset with that draft. I just believe that Chris Williams has all the tools to become a pretty good LT, but I don't have enough faith in our coaching staff to really make him into one. =D

Bobo
12-22-2007, 02:03 PM
Rounds 1 and 2 for the Titans look good.

Can Dustin Keller block? The Titans scheme needs a guy who's at least a solid blocker. From what I saw of Carlson, he was a decent blocker, and a good receiver. Haven't seen Keller though, his measurables look like a guy we already have, Bo Scaife.

T-RICH49
12-22-2007, 02:22 PM
as much as I would like Long if Dorsey was there I think we'd take him.He's BPA and is a posistion of need and would rather have Lowery over Tribble as well

KCJ58
12-22-2007, 02:33 PM
St Louis Rams Mock

1st Round: James Laurinaitis now that's a new one, don't like him at #2 pick LB isn't are weakness it's O-Line/D-Line so ethier Jake Long or Chris Long, 2nd round: Sam Baker, i like the pick a lot, great value especially in the 2nd round. 3rd Round: Jason Jones from Eastern Michigan i like the guy but if we already got Laurinaitis then why would we get him, i figure he'd be more of a LB in the NFL, there i would go ether, a guy like Lawrence Jackson (DE) or Dwight Lowery (CB)

also edit for your #83 pick it says Dwight Lowery is from San Diego when he went to San Jose State

neko4
12-22-2007, 02:40 PM
I like the first round pick for Green Bay, but I dont agree with the comment that we might take an end. We have 3 DT's hurt right now, and we still have a fairly solid line with KGB, Cullen, Kampman, and Pickett. Not a fan of Decloud, Bigby, Rouse and Collins are sure to compete for the 2 safety spots next year and I think we have good depth at S. A LB or possibly OL would be good there. 3rd Rounder is okay

Jensen
12-22-2007, 03:41 PM
Phillips is a good pick, Rice is not. Give the Cardinals Loadholt there, and then a 3-4 OLB or CB in the 3rd.

derza222
12-22-2007, 03:43 PM
I think we'll find a spot for Chris Long somewhere in our scheme given supposedly we're high on him, though it's been said we're considering him at OLB which could be interesting not really sure how I feel about that. So the first pick is fine IMO.

Second pick I'd prefer Cherilus honestly I know Mendenhall is great value but I think Cherilus is better suited for the right side anyways which is where we had him so the value there wouldn't be too bad. I think behind an improved line Jones would run better and Washington could be dangerous as well, the line definitely needs an infusion of talent.

Third rounder could stick if we move Nicks inside but we really need the guard help now so if we're waiting for the third and we're going to change a guys position we could be in trouble. In that case third rounder gets pretty iffy. Flier on a corner like Lowery? Or perhaps we fall in love with the production Tribble's had if we think he can be a decent #2 or nickel. Somebody to play ILB is potentially a pick if we do decide to deal Vilma. Pass rusher's a thought if we play Long on the line, DE is a thought if we try and play around with him standing up but a guy like Murray could be a bit of a reach. Coles is looking at leaving soon as well and between that and our offense looking terrible with Cotchery and either Smith or McCareins starting a WR to develop could be an idea since they generally take a little while anyways. So a Bowman wouldn't be a bad pick there either (assuming we go Cherilus in the 2nd, otherwise it's fine). Another thought is if we sign a vet guard to a 2-3 year deal and let Nicks learn the position, that would be a nice pick potentially as well, though we probably can't afford to draft for depth. If we do take Cherilus in the second I think the best fits are probably Bowman who gives us some size at wideout (which we really need) while he develops and is potentially a starter long-term, or an ILB (Gooden perhaps? Assuming we get rid of Vilma).

Your mock certainly gives us some nice talent to work with, I just think up front on both sides of the ball we have huge needs along with a glaring hole at wideout down the road so it's tough to take a RB when that's one of the more solid positions on the team even when the value's great. Just some thoughts.

toonsterwu
12-22-2007, 03:45 PM
I really think that the Bucs would take Andre WOodsen at that spot. Even though he doesnt fit the system perfectly. Gruden has a thing for QB's, and i doubt he would pass up someone with his potential.

You know, I gave that a long thought, but ... I just wonder if adding assets to help win now may trump QB, considering a quality QB talent can be found later to develop. And I've got Flacco over Woodson on the board now, although it's close. That said, if they did go QB, I think Woodson would be more likely for them then Flacco. Just a feeling. but I could see Josh Johnson as someone that Chucky really likes (I think that's who I gave ... should've checked before I started typing).

toonsterwu
12-22-2007, 03:46 PM
Amazing Phins draft... only thing that would make it better would be Okam instead of Bryant if Okam could play NT, if not, then it's fine. Nice work overall.

You have Boone much higher rated than I have ever seen him, I don't really have a problem with it, since he is huge and is a very good prospect, I just don't think he will leave OSU this year.

I thikn Boone should stay. I think all the junior OT's outside of Clady should stay. He might end up staying. Seems like some rumor pointed to him leaving, so I tossed him in this time. We'll know soon enough.

I don't like Okam at NT, but it's certainly possible.

toonsterwu
12-22-2007, 03:47 PM
I like the selection in round 1 for the Packers with Cason but not a big fan of Thomas DeCoud in round 2. I think he may be a bit overrated and I actually like Jonthan Hefney at safety if the Packers look to go there. I like the Crable choice in round 3

To be honest, looking at this now, I might move Quintin Demps there instead, if I kept it as safety for the Packers.

toonsterwu
12-22-2007, 03:48 PM
1st 3 Bears picks I like, they fit what we should be doing...but I dont like the Hart pick. I would rather go after Fargas, or Turner in FA *fargas for RBBC, Turner if we let Benson loose, or give up on him.

I don't like any of the Bears picks at all.

Could you see Angelo going Hart though, if he's there in the third? I could see it, which is why I gave it a go here.

toonsterwu
12-22-2007, 03:49 PM
Flacco over Woodson? other than that good Falcons draft. but I just think we go Woodson over Flacco.

Well, in the Falcons case, without knowing system, I just went by my board. But certainly, I could see some coaches preferring Woodson. As noted, I'm a fan of Woodson. Big fan. Just think there's a chance he tumbles. I'm a huge fan of Flacco as well.

BuckNaked
12-22-2007, 03:54 PM
I don't like the John David Booty pick at all. Also, why would we go DT in the third round with more pressing needs such as Safety, Defensive End or Tight End?

toonsterwu
12-22-2007, 03:55 PM
So's a player who wouldn't fit well into our system, though. What about Jake Long?

I don't think Jenkins (Mike) is nearly as bad as you suggest. DOn't get me wrong, I don't think it's a great pick by any means.

First off, I would say if this was a trade mock, there seems a high probability that I would move someone up to take a DT, and the Pats may be the trade down partner.

But back on Jenkins. The Pats have shown a recent history of targeting some toolsy, athletic types. Granted, they haven't done that at corner. But the suggestion that he's not instinctive enough belies the fact that he's instincts have taken a step forward. Considering he's fairly raw, I could see them buying athleticism there and considering it from a developmental perspective.

I can't see OL here for now. Unless I'm mistaken on the contracts, no one out of the current starters is slated to have a contract expire. They have some depth.

I think the ideal would be Laurinaitis or Gholston, but both came off. At the end of the day, I think I'd be more surprised if the Patriots stayed put.

thule
12-22-2007, 03:57 PM
One thing I'd like to here from you Toonster is the Parcells to Dallas connection that is now up.

One name that just screams Parcells is Bobby Carpenter...a guy who has yet to see a defensive snap this year. The cowboys occasionally play 9 other people on defense...and Carpenter isn't one of the 9...so it's not that dallas doesn't work in players...it's more the fact that Carp just can't see the field behind Bradie James and doesn't have a spot in wade's 3-3 we run on passing situations.

The one thing that makes me wonder now is...with the talk out of Dallas...that guys like Crayton and Canty are now in contract extension talks....could Jerry Jones be solidifing his team now...to make a move on draft day?

If dallas were to resign a few our their upcoming FA's before the period hits...I think that would do a lot to justify where dallas is going on draft day.

One huge thing I think to be the tell tale here is Patrick Crayton...now he has played good for us this year...has he earned a #1 WR contract....I'm not sure...but definetaly not in Dallas...so I think if he is searching for the big dollars he is going to need to go elsewhere...but he is a TX guy...so maybe money isn't a big thing to him. But the reason I bring this up is....if Crayton is to be resigned...it virtually gives Dallas no place to draft a WR. Sam Hurd has arguably made 3 or 4 of the biggest plays for the dallas cowboys this year...and the coaches rave about Hurd and Crayton. Glenn might be done after this year...which may open up a spot....but it's hard to pin him right now. With Stanback and Austin sitting on the depth chart...and this class of WR's with no real lock to earn a spot on this team....I think if Crayton is resigned...Jerry might be tipping his hand on what he wants to do draft day.

Lets not forget the early 90's when dallas had a stocked up team....Jerry wasn't afraid to move up on draft day to get elite starter players...because lets be honest....not a lot of late round guys were going to make the team back in those days.

But look at the situation right now....Parcells built a deep team...so deep that we had to cut a Abram Elam because we already had 5 safeties better than him...he is now starting for the Jets....

So thinking about all the ties....
Jerry and Parcells
Jerry and Arkansas
Parcells and Carpenter

I just can't help but think come draft day dallas might make the move all the way to pick #1.

Why?
Well lets look at history...Jerry has never been afraid to get his guy. Parcells loves to move down.

Add in the fact that...there is no true cut #1 guy that Parcells wants at the first pick....I think an addition of some picks causes him to move down.

What do I have in mind?
Well I can't say that Carpenter has done anything to worsen his stock. When you take a look at this LB class...I don't think you could really find a backer that would make more of an impact outside of carpenter...depending on how you view Golston.

So aside from the Cowboys having to pay a NFL running back...70 million dollars...all of this makes sense.

As far as what it would cost...I would have to say....both first round picks....a player(carpenter seems to make the most sense since he is a perfect fit in the 3-4/4-3 hybrid) and likely a future pick. Now would that be enough to get it done? IDK...but this is a realatively deep draft class....and not exactly top heavy....so if there was ever a year where trading down from the top 10 into the 20's this might be the time where it makes the most sense.

You have any inside information or thoughts?

toonsterwu
12-22-2007, 03:58 PM
Phillips is a great pick in the 1st, but Rice isn't a good one in the 2nd, we still have Edge, Shipp & Arrington, RB isn't a huge need for us, so unless McFadden Falls in the 1st or Stewart falls in the 2nd i don't think we address it until the 5th round or so. Phil Loadholt is the perfect pick there and it would be very Cardinals like for us to take him(position of need high value player) So then in the 3rd we could go CB or 3-4 OLB, Dwight Lowery would fit well.

so for future references our biggest needs are in this order

CB
3-4 OLB / 4-3 DE
FS
OT
RB

very nice work overall though

Speaking on the edge issues - what's the status of Pace contractually? Has their been progress? I was under the impression that expectations were that things would get agreed upon, which is why I slid down edge concerns a bit.

toonsterwu
12-22-2007, 04:00 PM
I am a fan of Chris Williams, but I would take Sam Baker in a heart beat over him. I think that Sam Baker is the product of a lot of scrutiny this year after coming into this season as a top-10 player in the country. His injuries sure didn't help, but I feel that he would be a great pass-blocker for our o-line because that is what we truly need. As for not addressing CB/LB in Round 1, I agree that they can be had later, but I think hoping for someone like Adibi to drop all the way to the end of round 3 is wishful thinking.

But honestly, I wouldn't be too upset with that draft. I just believe that Chris Williams has all the tools to become a pretty good LT, but I don't have enough faith in our coaching staff to really make him into one. =D

I could see Baker there as well. My preference for Williams led me that route, but it could be Baker.

I was a bit unhappy with the LB drops in some places. My problem is ... where does Adibi go (I mean, how much higher can he go? Certainly doubtful on the first, the 2nd? Seems iffy there with a bunch of guys as possibilities, and I'm not sure how many teams are searching for weakside backers that highly. Certainly a bit higher in the 3rd I could see, particularly if trades became a factor).

SteelCityNightmare
12-22-2007, 04:25 PM
love Bowman for the Steelers in the 3rd. The 2nd round pick for the Steelers could also look at the tackle position as Colon's natural position is G.

toonsterwu
12-22-2007, 04:26 PM
Rounds 1 and 2 for the Titans look good.

Can Dustin Keller block? The Titans scheme needs a guy who's at least a solid blocker. From what I saw of Carlson, he was a decent blocker, and a good receiver. Haven't seen Keller though, his measurables look like a guy we already have, Bo Scaife.

Decent blocker from what I've seen. Not a mauler, more of a "get the body there type". Gives effort, though, and to a certain extent, reminds me of Heath Miller's blocking in some regards (I think Miller was a better overall blocker). To be honest, it was getting long, so I just gave position thought, although I was thinking more pass option for Vince than run blocker.

toonsterwu
12-22-2007, 04:32 PM
as much as I would like Long if Dorsey was there I think we'd take him.He's BPA and is a posistion of need and would rather have Lowery over Tribble as well

Yeah, I was thinking Dorsey as well. Heck, I was even pondering Ellis there as well if they fell in love with him.

litlharsh
12-22-2007, 04:37 PM
I don't like the John David Booty pick at all. Also, why would we go DT in the third round with more pressing needs such as Safety, Defensive End or Tight End?

Pretty much my exact thoughts.

I would be ecstatic if we could get Jackson though.

toonsterwu
12-22-2007, 04:42 PM
St Louis Rams Mock

1st Round: James Laurinaitis now that's a new one, don't like him at #2 pick LB isn't are weakness it's O-Line/D-Line so ethier Jake Long or Chris Long, 2nd round: Sam Baker, i like the pick a lot, great value especially in the 2nd round. 3rd Round: Jason Jones from Eastern Michigan i like the guy but if we already got Laurinaitis then why would we get him, i figure he'd be more of a LB in the NFL, there i would go ether, a guy like Lawrence Jackson (DE) or Dwight Lowery (CB)

also edit for your #83 pick it says Dwight Lowery is from San Diego when he went to San Jose State

Oops you are right on that. Not sure why I typed San Diego.

As for the picks ... good to hear something on the Rams.

1) I understand OL/DL (well edge guy), and I had them going that route previously. The quesiton I have is

a) Do you spend big money on a 3rd OL, a guy who might not be worth it at 2?

b) If you go to a 3-4, your need is more edge. Certainly, as noted, could see Chris Long as a 3-4 end opposite Carriker, but Adeyanju/Wroten wouldn't be a bad tag team on paper there. A 3-4 OLB would be a consideration (if I'm not mistaken, Witherspoon is being used there in some 3-4 looks?). In a 4-3, I think a pass rushing end might weigh higher on the list than an all around type. And in both situations, the best fit is arguably Gholston and he's off. From a run perspective, in the 3-4, a bigger ILB would be needed, and even in 4-3, with Pisa's health issues, I just thinking that they might look for more bulk and slide Will out.

Anyhow, I could see a lot of options. I was more of less throwing James Laurinaitis out there as food for thought, as I think it's mroe possible than given credit for. On a side note, if they add JL and keep Pisa and Will, they might set a record for most letters out of the LB core on the jerseys.

3) The thought on Jones was that

a) in a 3-4, JL plays inside, and they could use a bigger edge guy
b) In a 4-3, he comes a young pass rushing end to groom. He has the size to stick at end in the pros if he develops.

princefielder28
12-22-2007, 04:44 PM
To be honest, looking at this now, I might move Quintin Demps there instead, if I kept it as safety for the Packers.

I could live with that too

toonsterwu
12-22-2007, 05:07 PM
I think we'll find a spot for Chris Long somewhere in our scheme given supposedly we're high on him, though it's been said we're considering him at OLB which could be interesting not really sure how I feel about that. So the first pick is fine IMO.

Second pick I'd prefer Cherilus honestly I know Mendenhall is great value but I think Cherilus is better suited for the right side anyways which is where we had him so the value there wouldn't be too bad. I think behind an improved line Jones would run better and Washington could be dangerous as well, the line definitely needs an infusion of talent.

Third rounder could stick if we move Nicks inside but we really need the guard help now so if we're waiting for the third and we're going to change a guys position we could be in trouble. In that case third rounder gets pretty iffy. Flier on a corner like Lowery? Or perhaps we fall in love with the production Tribble's had if we think he can be a decent #2 or nickel. Somebody to play ILB is potentially a pick if we do decide to deal Vilma. Pass rusher's a thought if we play Long on the line, DE is a thought if we try and play around with him standing up but a guy like Murray could be a bit of a reach. Coles is looking at leaving soon as well and between that and our offense looking terrible with Cotchery and either Smith or McCareins starting a WR to develop could be an idea since they generally take a little while anyways. So a Bowman wouldn't be a bad pick there either (assuming we go Cherilus in the 2nd, otherwise it's fine). Another thought is if we sign a vet guard to a 2-3 year deal and let Nicks learn the position, that would be a nice pick potentially as well, though we probably can't afford to draft for depth. If we do take Cherilus in the second I think the best fits are probably Bowman who gives us some size at wideout (which we really need) while he develops and is potentially a starter long-term, or an ILB (Gooden perhaps? Assuming we get rid of Vilma).

Your mock certainly gives us some nice talent to work with, I just think up front on both sides of the ball we have huge needs along with a glaring hole at wideout down the road so it's tough to take a RB when that's one of the more solid positions on the team even when the value's great. Just some thoughts.

I was thinking more Nicks at RT. I think the Vilma result will play a huge factor in the shape of things.

toonsterwu
12-22-2007, 05:09 PM

Admittedly, I forgot about TE there.

DE? You really think you guys look DE there? Udeze looked intriguing, along with Ray Edwards. Robison has shown some flashes. I can't see it. Was wondering why you think DE?

I liked a young DT more than I liked safety, but I could see it the other way.

toonsterwu
12-22-2007, 05:09 PM
love Bowman for the Steelers in the 3rd. The 2nd round pick for the Steelers could also look at the tackle position as Colon's natural position is G.

Bowman's a tough one to judge. I'll be curious on his workouts. Some say Anquan Boldin, others say Mike Williams.

BuckNaked
12-22-2007, 05:14 PM
Admittedly, I forgot about TE there.

DE? You really think you guys look DE there? Udeze looked intriguing, along with Ray Edwards. Robison has shown some flashes. I can't see it. Was wondering why you think DE?

I liked a young DT more than I liked safety, but I could see it the other way.

I can see every DE on our time being inactive any given week with the exception of Robison. Erasmus James is always injured, Udeze has injury concerns of his own and isn't awfully consistent and Edwards, albeit playing alright this season has not been overwhelming. Plus, you also have to factor in the suspension and whether that could occur again. I just feel that we need more depth at the position and it's more of a need than DT where we have Pat and Kevin Williams holding down the starting positions, with Spencer Johnson as a solid backup.

derza222
12-22-2007, 05:19 PM
I was thinking more Nicks at RT. I think the Vilma result will play a huge factor in the shape of things.

Yeah my whole third round thing was if we end up going Cherilus in the second as opposed to Mendenhall. I still think what you gave us would be a tremendous infusion of talent, it's just that our line is so mediocre and with a young QB and two competent backs behind a solid line we may end up going OL earlier. Tough to argue with BPA though, just playing some devils advocate.

And agreed completely, whatever happens with Vilma is going to be huge. Where do you think his value is right now?

By the way, that would be an incredible draft for the Bengals as well IMO, huge infusion of talent on defense.

TACKLE
12-22-2007, 05:36 PM
I'm curious as to why you have Phillip Merling going ahead of Calais Campbell. I know Calais is having a down year but his production is still very close with Merling. Calais is a freak with great physical attributes and talent. Although I agree Merling will most likely go in the first round, I cannot see him being picked ahead of Calais.

gdamac
12-22-2007, 06:06 PM
Give the Raiders A. Bowman in the 2nd, IMO.

Bobo
12-22-2007, 06:40 PM
Decent blocker from what I've seen. Not a mauler, more of a "get the body there type". Gives effort, though, and to a certain extent, reminds me of Heath Miller's blocking in some regards (I think Miller was a better overall blocker). To be honest, it was getting long, so I just gave position thought, although I was thinking more pass option for Vince than run blocker.

That's funny, Heath Miller is exactly the type of guy I've said we could really use. I don't know if he's in this draft, doesn't look like it. From what I saw a Carlson, and really Davis too, is that they both are ok at blocking, and very good receiving threats. It looks like that type of TE is what's out there the most.

thebow305
12-22-2007, 07:20 PM
One thing I'd like to here from you Toonster is the Parcells to Dallas connection that is now up.

One name that just screams Parcells is Bobby Carpenter...a guy who has yet to see a defensive snap this year. The cowboys occasionally play 9 other people on defense...and Carpenter isn't one of the 9...so it's not that dallas doesn't work in players...it's more the fact that Carp just can't see the field behind Bradie James and doesn't have a spot in wade's 3-3 we run on passing situations.

The one thing that makes me wonder now is...with the talk out of Dallas...that guys like Crayton and Canty are now in contract extension talks....could Jerry Jones be solidifing his team now...to make a move on draft day?

If dallas were to resign a few our their upcoming FA's before the period hits...I think that would do a lot to justify where dallas is going on draft day.

One huge thing I think to be the tell tale here is Patrick Crayton...now he has played good for us this year...has he earned a #1 WR contract....I'm not sure...but definetaly not in Dallas...so I think if he is searching for the big dollars he is going to need to go elsewhere...but he is a TX guy...so maybe money isn't a big thing to him. But the reason I bring this up is....if Crayton is to be resigned...it virtually gives Dallas no place to draft a WR. Sam Hurd has arguably made 3 or 4 of the biggest plays for the dallas cowboys this year...and the coaches rave about Hurd and Crayton. Glenn might be done after this year...which may open up a spot....but it's hard to pin him right now. With Stanback and Austin sitting on the depth chart...and this class of WR's with no real lock to earn a spot on this team....I think if Crayton is resigned...Jerry might be tipping his hand on what he wants to do draft day.

Lets not forget the early 90's when dallas had a stocked up team....Jerry wasn't afraid to move up on draft day to get elite starter players...because lets be honest....not a lot of late round guys were going to make the team back in those days.

But look at the situation right now....Parcells built a deep team...so deep that we had to cut a Abram Elam because we already had 5 safeties better than him...he is now starting for the Jets....

Jerry and Parcells
Jerry and Arkansas
Parcells and Carpenter

I just can't help but think come draft day dallas might make the move all the way to pick #1.

Why?
Well lets look at history...Jerry has never been afraid to get his guy. Parcells loves to move down.

Add in the fact that...there is no true cut #1 guy that Parcells wants at the first pick....I think an addition of some picks causes him to move down.

What do I have in mind?
Well I can't say that Carpenter has done anything to worsen his stock. When you take a look at this LB class...I don't think you could really find a backer that would make more of an impact outside of carpenter...depending on how you view Golston.

So aside from the Cowboys having to pay a NFL running back...70 million dollars...all of this makes sense.

As far as what it would cost...I would have to say....both first round picks....a player(carpenter seems to make the most sense since he is a perfect fit in the 3-4/4-3 hybrid) and likely a future pick. Now would that be enough to get it done? IDK...but this is a realatively deep draft class....and not exactly top heavy....so if there was ever a year where trading down from the top 10 into the 20's this might be the time where it makes the most sense.

Being a Dolphins fan, I love that idea. If we don't move, I want Gholston, but trading down and picking up more players works great for me and seems like an ideal move as well as a very likely one for Parcells.

I loved Carpenter a couple years ago. He was one of my favorite prospects so adding him would be nice.

george_allen
12-22-2007, 07:24 PM
Oops you are right on that. Not sure why I typed San Diego.

As for the picks ... good to hear something on the Rams.

1) I understand OL/DL (well edge guy), and I had them going that route previously. The quesiton I have is

a) Do you spend big money on a 3rd OL, a guy who might not be worth it at 2?

b) If you go to a 3-4, your need is more edge. Certainly, as noted, could see Chris Long as a 3-4 end opposite Carriker, but Adeyanju/Wroten wouldn't be a bad tag team on paper there. A 3-4 OLB would be a consideration (if I'm not mistaken, Witherspoon is being used there in some 3-4 looks?). In a 4-3, I think a pass rushing end might weigh higher on the list than an all around type. And in both situations, the best fit is arguably Gholston and he's off. From a run perspective, in the 3-4, a bigger ILB would be needed, and even in 4-3, with Pisa's health issues, I just thinking that they might look for more bulk and slide Will out.

Anyhow, I could see a lot of options. I was more of less throwing James Laurinaitis out there as food for thought, as I think it's mroe possible than given credit for. On a side note, if they add JL and keep Pisa and Will, they might set a record for most letters out of the LB core on the jerseys.

3) The thought on Jones was that

a) in a 3-4, JL plays inside, and they could use a bigger edge guy
b) In a 4-3, he comes a young pass rushing end to groom. He has the size to stick at end in the pros if he develops.

try as they might, the rams just can't seem to play poorly enough in 2007 to draft gholston in 2008 . . . . alas . . . .

i'm struggling to buy into the laurinaitis selection, and if fact, i just can't get there. i can't see the value at pick 2 regardless of which team is selecting there. and while i wouldn't put it past the current rams regime to reach, i can't see them doing so for any linebacker in this draft in round 1 - they love all 3 starters and they like chris draft behind them.

if the rams do end up picking 2nd overall, it appears to me that their options are mcfadden and gholston. in this scenario gholston's off the board so - - - mcfadden's the choice here.

yes, the rams already have jackson starting at runningback - but : he's had more than one run-in with linehan on the sidelines during games as have holt and bulger - the front office claims they're sticking with linehan in 2008 -
there is a real danger that keeping linehan may mean loosing jackson, among others. but let's say jackson stays - he is only under contract through the end of the 2008 season and it's gonna cost to re-sign him if you can convince him to stay in st louis. from an economic/salary cap perspective it would seem to make more sense to invest in an offensive playmaker versus a 3rd, maybe 4th linebacker depending on what they do about re-signing chillar.
it strikes me as better business sense to try to build a one - two runningback punch for a team that currently can't score in the 2nd half on any given sunday, than it does to add a linebacker to the ranks. btw, jackson misses his share of games, not as many as tinoisamoa, but he's often dinged up.
chris long would still be the other option here as, although haslet has recently said he wants to move to a 3-4 in 2008, he has said it before so i'm not sure what to make of him on this. dorsey would be a better choice for the rams than laurinaitis as carriker has been playing some at de and could be moved there if it created the best alignment up front among the available options - they do seem to prefer carriker inside, though.

the second round pick - when it absolutely, positively has to be an offensive tackle. i think most scenarios that don't have the rams taking jake long in the first round kind of force you to take a tackle in the second round. and for good reason - the amount of depth in this draft class at tackle lends itself almost perfectly to the rams situation. sam baker works here. my personal preference in this case however, would be for loadholt. with pace and barron in place, brandon gorin showing a little something the past few games in relief over on the right side and the possibility of todd steussie having 1 more years worth of gas in the tank for some guard and tackle depth in 2008, i think the rams could be well positioned to invest in a tackle project with a higher ceiling.

don't know anything about jones selected in the 3rd but i would be happy with anyone of alot of the guys still available at that point - tribble, crable, henderson, bowman and even colt brennan - i think if brennan was still there at the 3rd round pick, the rams might think about him long and hard.

finally, in general, i found this to be another mock of fine craftsmanship that i have come to expect from you . . . i just don't like the rams first selection . . .

The OUTLAW
12-22-2007, 07:34 PM
Ahtyba Rubin

Browns fans respond in droves with a resounding, WHO?

GB12
12-22-2007, 08:13 PM
My thinking there would be that Crable slides into a pass rushing end role on passing situations.

There wasn't an OT that made sense.
For who? We have Kampman and KGB for pass rushing. We do need LB depth though, and I would prefer one in the second over a safety.

Also it's Mike McCarthy now, not Sherman.;)
29. Green Bay Packers

Mike Sherman deserves a lot of credit for the strong campaign heís gotten out of this bunch.

Caddy
12-22-2007, 08:34 PM
I definitely do not like Caldwell in the first round and like Doucet a lot better in that situation. The round 2 pick of Williams is solid. Johnson is a decent fit for Tampa's offense but I just can't see him a legitimate franchise QB in the NFL and would rather wait another season and draft a top flight signal caller.

toonsterwu
12-22-2007, 10:08 PM
Ahtyba Rubin

Browns fans respond in droves with a resounding, WHO?

To be truly honest, I hadn't given much thought to Rubin until I saw his name pop up on John Murphy's top 5 DT list. I don't think that much of Rubin, but Murphy knows what he's doing and it was takinig awhile, so I just sort of dropped a name there. I had been thinking he was a 5th-6th rounder until seeing Murphy mention him.

toonsterwu
12-22-2007, 10:18 PM

Jerry and Parcells
Jerry and Arkansas
Parcells and Carpenter

Why?

What do I have in mind?

Sorry, not sure how I missed this.

I guess I should answer this two ways.

1) Can I buy the scenario?

Yes. 2 firsts this year, a first next year, and Bobby Carpenter valued as a late first is entirely possible, and that gets you close to enough that you can make a case, from the Dolphins, to go this route. That said, it's very fringy, and as much as the pick value charts are only guides, and as much as different teams play around with the numbers, it wouldn't surprise me if it took a little bit more.

I can buy the scenario because there's enough depth. If Adams leaves, there's Free/Marten/McQuistan to throw around. Perhaps they find another OL to throw in there (Barry Richardson could be a good day 2 gamble). But the bodies are there to try. The defensive front 7 has some depth to it (although I still think the DL needs more talent/depth). The secondary questions could be addressed in FA or with a later pick. If Crayton is back, there isn't a pressing need for a WR.

2) Do I think they should do it?

The move up would be for McFadden. Is moving up for a RB worth it? Under Parcells, I don't think this would even be a consideration if Parcells had his say in the draft process. I can see it for Jerry Jones, but I don't think they should do it. Of course, for Jones, he would get his stud back, and he would get another piece to help Jason Garrett out.

3) My own hunch?

I expect them to move, but my guess is that they move down/future barring a turn of events. I'm just not sure that there will be enough to convince the Dolphins to sell the first. For all the depth, the talent differential in the late third of the first and the top of the draft is a bit different. Now, if the Cowboys threw in a 2nd or 3rd this year to boost it (along with Carpenter and a 09 first), perhaps. But at that point, it might be overkill.

toonsterwu
12-22-2007, 10:20 PM
I'm curious as to why you have Phillip Merling going ahead of Calais Campbell. I know Calais is having a down year but his production is still very close with Merling. Calais is a freak with great physical attributes and talent. Although I agree Merling will most likely go in the first round, I cannot see him being picked ahead of Calais.

Personally, I do feel that Campbell's athleticism has been a tad overrated. It's good, but I'm in a wait and see mode to see if it's as elite as some suggest. As for Merling, I think his athleticism has been underrated. I wouldn't be surprised if he put up numbers as impressive, if not moreso, than Campbell.

Only time will tell, though.

DiG
12-22-2007, 10:54 PM
terrible redskins mock. talib is a decent pick but i think the redskins fans would go insane if they passed on campbell to take talib. talib isnt high enough of a prospect to take over campbell.

no chance we take harvey. he doesnt fit williams scheme at all opposite of carter. wed be ranked in the bottom 5 against the run if we had harvey playing with carter. no chance. id MUCH rather havehenderson, mcglynnm, lawrence jackson, or trae williams at that spot or even bowman.

rd 3 theres way too many good lbers available to reach on burton.

Bar-bq
12-22-2007, 11:53 PM
2. St. Louis Rams

How strong is Scott Linehanís vote of confidence? Is this a vote for appearanceís sake, or legitimate? Itís tough to figure out at this point. That said, the bigger issue may be if they hire a GM. This is actually the toughest top 10 pick because what the Rams do will shape the top half of the first moreso than any other team, wherever the Rams pick. For a bad team this year, they arenít far from competing. But are they close to putting together a top club? Tough to see.

Offensively, RB/QB seem like darkhorses. They still pass thought, and considering that surprises happen on draft day, I wouldnít rule it out. But it seems a bit unlikely. OL is a big need for them as they lacked consistency there this year. Defensively, are they going 3-4? If so, they have the pieces for a 3-4 line in place with Carriker at end and Ryan at NT. They could use another end, but I think Adeyanju/Wroten could be decent rotating at the other spot to not warrant a high pick on it (and good 3-4 DE fits can be found later). They could use an edge guy for the 3-4 or 4-3, though. A bit more bulk at LB isnít a bad idea, particularly if they go 3-4. The secondary seems unlikely.

Hereís the question I wrestle with Ė Do you spend a high pick on OL in a relatively deep OL draft when Pace will likely be back at LT and Barron at RT (barring a trade)? Itís possible, but spending heavily on 3 aspects of the line usually isnít a great idea overall, payroll wise, unless you are a step away. A groom and develop (drafting a tackle and starting them at guard) seems iffy. Defensively, Chris Long is a tempting thought here. He could slide in a 3-4 DE spot opposite Carriker, or be a base 4-3 end. There really isnít an edge type that I buy moving this high.

Long comes in 2nd again, though. Iím going with an ILB in James Laurinaitis. He seems like the type of player Haslett might fall in love with, and if they go 3-4, he gives them a good solid ILB option. Even in the 4-3, he might be a useful addition as he could play on the strongside, or slide into mike and let Witherspoon move somewhere else. Pisaís inability to stay healthy has to be a concern.

St. Louis Rams pick: LB James Laurinaitis, the Ohio State

Kudos to you for a heck of a deep draft, and a hell of a lot of research, but you may have been misinformed about the Rams moving to 3-4? I've not read much of this anywhere. We don't really have the personnel, but it has been effective as a sub package. IMO, moving to a 3-4 is not even verisimilitude at this stage. We've allowed just one 100 yard rusher this season (Najeh Davenport on Thursday night) and the defense has played well despite injuries to Hill, Pisa and Little, and Brown's 4 game suspension.

Personally, I'd prefer Chris Long as a 4-3 DE. Little is getting older, and as I said was injured, and the reason we've been falling behind early in the second half and getting burned by QBs is because we don't have a pass rush. A great pass rush makes a great secondary, and we have a very solid one, and a solid LB core (When Pisa stays healthy) at this point in time.

Great round two pick, and maybe give us a LB in round three if Brandon Chillar is let go.

But again, kudos for depth.

TitanHope
12-23-2007, 12:26 AM
For the Titans, Campbell, Doucet, and Keller are beautiful.

Campbell opposite of KVB and Haynesworth would be nasty. I hope we don't let go of Odom, but if we don't, we get rid of LaBoy. One is likely gone, so LE is a need no matter what.

Doucet is the type of WR we need, and a steal that late. If we get into the Red Zone, we run it. Thats evident from Young's 21.2 TD pass Y/A, and the RB's having all their rushing TD's from inside the 10 YD Line. So, a WR who can make a play after the catch would be best for our offense. I'm hoping for a guy like Harry Douglas in the 2nd RD, but you nailed it with Doucet.

We need a TE, so either Keller or Rucker would be great. But with Keller, Scott has his 40 time listed at 4.85, which would make him pretty slow if he's a receiving TE. I've never seen him play, but if Scott is correct, then Rucker is much bigger and faster than he is. I'd prefer to sacrifice blocking ability for receiving ability, as we already have blockers in Hartsock and Scaife. Either way, I'd approve any TE pick.

BaLLiN
12-23-2007, 10:51 AM
horrible giants mock

LonghornsLegend
12-23-2007, 02:33 PM
Great cowboys mock, I really like this one, Jones and Thomas in the 1st would be a great draft and I think we look at both guys pretty hard...

The only thing I disagree with is the Donnie Avery pick, I think if we take a wr there we go Lavelle Hawkins over Avery if we want a speed guy, or if we go with a bigger TO type guy Bowman is a very big possibility

johbur
12-23-2007, 05:09 PM
For me, some of the player values seem off, like Gholston at #1 and a LB taken at #2, when he isn't the most impressive specimen out there. He might be a cut above Poz, but Laurinitis is a cut below Hawk.

I find the Packers' picks to be solid, but Mike Sherman hasn't been the coach for the past two seasons. Packers refresher: Sherman left after going 4-12, Mike McCarthy went 8-8 last year after starting 4-8, and now after getting pummeled by the Bears this year, they're 12-3. Not sure where the let-down is going to come from, in less you think Favre is retiring, which I've heard the past 5 years.
The Packers have been the youngest team in the league for the second year running now.
McCarthy has shown his coaching chops.
Our player development has been solid, predicated on drafting an average of 11 players each of the last three years and picking up cost-effective free agents. This has driven young, talented depth at OL, DT, and WR. With Ryan Grant there, RB is the biggest concern. TE is still painful to look at, the safety situation is not settled and OLB opposite Hawk could use a more talented player than B-Pop.

Scotty D
12-23-2007, 05:33 PM
How did you know what I wanted for Christmas?

energizerbunny
12-23-2007, 05:46 PM
Philip Merling continues to impress me, by the sounds of things he could really impress at the combine if he declares.

Ewing
12-23-2007, 06:19 PM
Campbell is nice and all but the Titans need a WR more than anything else. With DeSean Jackson and James Hardy still on the board it would be foolish to pick anyone besides them.

Travis 24
12-23-2007, 07:59 PM
AWESOME Eagles draft...finally someone has a grip on what the Eagles need. : )

G-Men88
12-23-2007, 08:45 PM
Saftey is the Giants biggest need

foozball
12-23-2007, 11:13 PM
why not give the texnas jonathan stewart in the 1st and ali highsmith in the 3rd? i like that combo better, especially since highsmith is considered a 1st rounder by some mocks.

BuckNaked
12-23-2007, 11:14 PM
why not give the texnas jonathan stewart in the 1st and ali highsmith in the 3rd? i like that combo better, especially since highsmith is considered a 1st rounder by some mocks.

Who considers Ali Highsmith a 1st rounder?

Forenci
12-23-2007, 11:33 PM

Pretty much in agreement with everything turtle said here.

I'd much rather us grab Sam Baker to Chris Williams. I could see why you'd give us Chris though. He's more well rounded than Baker, but honestly, I would much rather have Sam Baker as I think he can be a franchise LT where I'm not certain Williams will be that. He could, I'm just not certain.

Adibi in the 3rd would be superb and the corner from Auburn wouldn't be too shabby either. I would love our draft if you had us take Baker instead of Williams, but still good stuff.

Superb descriptions by the way.

foozball
12-24-2007, 12:12 AM
Who considers Ali Highsmith a 1st rounder?

umm...well i cant think of anyone off the top of my head...but i do remember highsmith in one of scott's mocks

not to mention nfldraftscout has him rated as a 1st rounder

i dont think he is, i think he's a mid 2nd rounder at best...but i think stewart and highsmith would be better than rivers and chris johnson

DLionALL
12-24-2007, 12:19 AM
AWESOME Eagles draft...finally someone has a grip on what the Eagles need. : )

I agree 100%. Adds depth to our secondary and gives us a deadly slot receiver.

The Legend
12-24-2007, 02:32 AM
IDK i cant see Frank Okam drop all the way to the 3rd round

but on another note i think the packers draft overall was pretty good
thou i have said this before i would take Dan Connor over any corner but the 2 Jenkins

i dont know i think if Connor falls to the 2nd round its just stupid, the 2nd best linebacker in the draft

Finsfan79
12-24-2007, 08:45 AM
I like the miami draft, my only questions are two fold.

What does Gholston need to do in workouts and the NT game to become worthy of the number 1 pick overall seems he would need to raise his stock even more to do it. Even with a weak class like that.

My only other thing would be I feel a big time safety would be more important then a young corner in the 3rd if any are still available. Of course if that is a BPA pick in your eyes works for me. Just I feel a Veteran CB's would fit better for us currently from FA(we will have a fortune to spend).

toonsterwu
12-24-2007, 09:21 AM
Btw, skimming through some comments (looking on page 3, will get to any additional comments on page 4)

1. Yes, I know I screwed up on that. I meant Mike McCarthy and not Mike Sherman. I know Sherman is at Texas A&M. As for my Packers comments, in my view, I don't think the Packers are a legit "12-3" team. That is, I don't think they are a dominant team, and to that extent, the possibility exists for a "letdown" record wise. To the extent the Bears overachieved last year, we underachieved this year. Certain reasons existed for that, and one was personnel. I know a lot of Bears fans got on my case last year when I didn't expect us to reach the Super Bowl. We did, and to that extent, we overachieved. I'm not sayiing the Packers will miss the playoffs next year or anything akin to that, just that the possibility for a drop record-wise exists.

2. Redskins - I don't think Talib is necessarily ranked behind Campbell. Campbell's one of the biggest enigma's in this year's draft. A lot of talent (although I'm still not sold that he's as freakish as some people claim ... but only the workouts will tell that). Yes, as noted, I think the Redskins should go DE. But coming off a year where they've had a decent-solid pass rush, played good run defense, I can see the Redskins passing on DE to address more immediate needs. The chances of Calais forcing his way into the regular rotation seems slim, as the coaching staff likes the solid play of Phillip Daniels, and Andre Carter bounced back this year. CB depth is a question that may present more immediate concerns. Only time will tell. I could see it either way. Oh, I do not think Keenan Burton is a reach in the 3rd value wise. Obviously, if they go WR early, then no need there. As for Harvey, he wouldn't be a regular starter until he bulked up. He'd come in on pass rushing situations for Phillip Daniels. Taking a LB there seems a tad foolish based on needs. Maybe McGlynn makes some sense. I think Harvey's raw pass rushing skills would top Jackson's. If they pass on CB early, then yes, Trae Williams makes some sense there. I can't see Al Saunders supporting a Bowman type pick.

3. Texans - If I was mocking based on how I would like them to go, I'd go Rashard Mendenhall in the first (I think the 2-4 potential RB values, Stewart/Jones/Mendenhall, could go in any order) and something else later. I just wonder if they may end up deciding to wait.

4. Titans - Somewhat the same comment as the Texans. I just wonder if they may end up waiting on WR. It's not as if Hardy/DeSean Jackson are markedly better than the round 2 WR's. Yes, I think they should go WR in round 1, just not sold if they will.

5. Giants - I noted it earlier, but I could see Sam Baker there. I just prefer Chris Williams in terms of draft value.

6. Rams - I've seen a few places hint at the possible 3-4 switch. The personnel is there. Carriker at end/Ryan at NT/Adeyanju and someone at the other end spot is a decent start. Witherspoon playing an OLB role in the 3-4 may actually help him. That said, I can see Chris Long there, 3-4 or 4-3, so in a year with confusion at the top, I think a lot of possibilities exist.

7. Dan Connor - I think Connor will be a solid pro. And I think someone would move up a bit to grab him. But I'm just not sold on him as a lock in the first. I could see him go anywhere late first-early 3rd. Positionally, as much as the LB position has been emphasized in recent years, it's still on the low end of the spectrum. A team would need a huge need at LB, or the LB would have to have exceptional talent, to go higher than late first. The LB talent in this draft is solid depth wise

8. Frank Okam - I'll admit maybe my personal biases come in play here. I'm just not sure what he does particularly well that warrants a higher nod. That said, big bodies sometimes go earlier than expected.

9. Dolphins - I think Gholston needs to post top agility numbers and maybe run a low 4.6 (or better) 40 and probably put up a solid effort in the NT game. I think he's a possible top 5 value right now, depending on the team. As for spending on corners in FA, I didn't really consider that, as I was just basing it on current personnel. FA will change a lot of this, and if you guys do spend on corners in FA, then sure, I could see safety there. But until then, I think, IMO, that CB would rank higher on the needs chart. But that's me.

Ewing
12-24-2007, 09:27 AM
4. Titans - Somewhat the same comment as the Texans. I just wonder if they may end up waiting on WR. It's not as if Hardy/DeSean Jackson are markedly better than the round 2 WR's. Yes, I think they should go WR in round 1, just not sold if they will.

DeSean Jackson and James Hardy are far better options than Adarius Bowman and Jordy Nelson.

toonsterwu
12-24-2007, 09:33 AM
DeSean Jackson and James Hardy are far better options than Adarius Bowman and Jordy Nelson.

I'd really debate that from a value perspective. A lot of hype on James Hardy lately, but I question how well he's going to consistently gain enough separation to warrant being a lead receiver. As for Jackson, all the worlds potential, but how much better is he than say, Harry Douglas or Donnie Avery. I'm not sure he's substantially better. By no means am I saying that Hardy/Jackson are bad. I just wonder if they are significantly better to warrant such a route.

But the other thing I wonder is that, after years of drafting mid-round WR's, I just wonder if Jeff Fisher prefers to wait on WR's. I can't think of the last time that you guys took a WR early off the top (Calico in the 2nd is about the highest I can think of), and there's been some need for a WR talent for awhile. Granted, there were the years that Drew Bennett stepped up, but the Titans seemed to have sat on Brandon Jones/Roydell Williams/Courtney Roby/Johnathon Orr for a bit, and granted, those guys have some raw tools, but they certainly hadn't proven enough. That said, during part of that span, there wasn't a young QB to develop, so maybe they change it up. To a certain extent, improvement from Vince Young will be far more critical than any personnel improvement they can make.

LonghornsLegend
12-24-2007, 10:24 AM
I think the Titans will take a wr and im thinking Limas Sweed or Bowman, at the least a big target for Vince, I dont think they will be taking someone like Desean Jackson or any of the speed wrs

toonsterwu
12-24-2007, 10:59 AM
I wonder if they wouldn't go with a shifty receiver over a big target. Sort of filling in the missing skillset types. My perspective on Norm Chow's offenses has always been that he isn't beholden to one type of receiver (some OC's are - Martz/Saunders/Fairchild and others often emphasized quickness for example). I've always envisaged Norm as a type that wants different types of receivers to slot in and out, and they don't really have a "shifty" type of receiver. Although that said, talent upgrade should trump anything, so who knows.

On a side note, I roughly reordered based on yesterday's games (too lazy to figure out if my reordering was correct as I didn't feel like calculating Opponents W-L outside of estimating). The next no-trade draft should be a bit different, on account of the Patriots dropping down a bit (and some other tiny shifts that I've made).

Ewing
12-24-2007, 11:02 AM
I think the Titans will take a wr and im thinking Limas Sweed or Bowman, at the least a big target for Vince, I dont think they will be taking someone like Desean Jackson or any of the speed wrs

James Hardy is probably the biggest target you're ever going to get.

Bobo
12-24-2007, 12:40 PM
I'd really debate that from a value perspective. A lot of hype on James Hardy lately, but I question how well he's going to consistently gain enough separation to warrant being a lead receiver. As for Jackson, all the worlds potential, but how much better is he than say, Harry Douglas or Donnie Avery. I'm not sure he's substantially better. By no means am I saying that Hardy/Jackson are bad. I just wonder if they are significantly better to warrant such a route.

But the other thing I wonder is that, after years of drafting mid-round WR's, I just wonder if Jeff Fisher prefers to wait on WR's. I can't think of the last time that you guys took a WR early off the top (Calico in the 2nd is about the highest I can think of), and there's been some need for a WR talent for awhile. Granted, there were the years that Drew Bennett stepped up, but the Titans seemed to have sat on Brandon Jones/Roydell Williams/Courtney Roby/Johnathon Orr for a bit, and granted, those guys have some raw tools, but they certainly hadn't proven enough. That said, during part of that span, there wasn't a young QB to develop, so maybe they change it up. To a certain extent, improvement from Vince Young will be far more critical than any personnel improvement they can make.

Depending on what JR's come out, you could be very right about value and waiting till the 2nd for a WR. It's very early speculation at this point, but based on who may be available when the Titans pick, they could find a good upgrade at few roster spots that need it.

WR, TE, DE, RB could all be there. I'd like to think a DT upgrade could be there, but it looks like after Dorsey and Ellis, there's not much there.

FootballGod
12-24-2007, 01:20 PM
To bad you waisted so much time on this horrible draft. Coming from a Mod I would have thought you would of know what you were talking about.

toonsterwu
12-24-2007, 08:55 PM
To bad you waisted so much time on this horrible draft. Coming from a Mod I would have thought you would of know what you were talking about.

You are right. I have no idea what I'm talking about. No one on a message board really do ... otherwise we'd be scouts I guess. Pray tell me all the areas I screwed up at, considering the drafts isn't for months and anyone that subscribes to the idea that values are set is kidding themselves. Merry Christmas to you as well.

bored of education
12-24-2007, 09:03 PM
A+ on the KC darft. for some reason the most under rated CB prospect esp in the cover 2 scheme i think is Simeon Castille. i would rather have him but i dont know if he is going to be worthy of a 3rd round pick. but i think he is a perfect fit. but oddly enough when i see Tribble play he remidns me alot of Ty Law in his body movements and ability to anticipate the throw.

Long helps right away on that terrible line

Hardy+Bowe=best young WR tandem in the NFL

toonsterwu
12-24-2007, 09:07 PM
I'll 2nd that. I think Castille can play cover 2 CB real well. That said, I do wonder if he'll slip by the wayside. But I could see him in the 3rd, and perhaps late 2nd. Just didn't have him there this go around.

Although that said, with the changes to the draft order after this weekend, I have different picks in mind in the next go around for the Chiefs.

bored of education
12-24-2007, 09:12 PM
Yeah, this past game has me thinking alot. I don't think Brodie is the answer, so fragile!

NIN1984
12-24-2007, 09:14 PM
Wow this is some mock here, great work... I might print this out.

toonsterwu
12-24-2007, 09:16 PM
Yeah, this past game has me thinking alot. I don't think Brodie is the answer, so fragile!

Oh ... that wasn't what I had been thinking for the next mock ... I've gotten some basics sketched out for it ...

btw, on a side note, I would note that this mock was sketched out about a week plus ago ... i've adjusted some values so the next mock might look different ...

EdReedUnstoppable
12-24-2007, 11:15 PM
I really hate that Ravens draft, Matt Ryan is an INT machine and a guy who doesnt protect the ball we already have 2 of those at the QB position. And we already tried the small school CB thing with David Pittman no need to make that mistake twice.

TitanHope
12-25-2007, 01:20 AM
For the Titans, I prefer a WR who can produce yards after the catch. I'm hoping Jackson will be there, but if not, I hope we can land Douglas or Doucet in the 2nd RD. We have a big targets already in Justin Gage and Mike Williams (*coughs*...), and all around WR's in Roydell Williams and Brandon Jones. But probably aside from Roydell, not a one of them can take the ball 40+ yards after a 10 YD pass. And in Chow's offense which is notorious for the short pass, it is vital to have someone who can make something out of nothing. We're not going to be throwing 30+ lobs to James Hardy every game, and despite the romantic Young/Sweed/Texas connection, I don't see what he provides that Gage doesn't.

Also toonster, Scott has Dustin Keller's speed listed as 4.85 40. If that is true, then he doesn't seem like a good prospect considering he's only 240 pounds. Why is there preferrance of him over Martin Rucker in your 3rd RD Titans pick if Rucker is bigger and faster than him?

toonsterwu
12-25-2007, 10:59 AM
Speaking on Rucker, there seems to be some talk out there that he either doesn't time fast or that he's perceived not to play fast, whereas Keller is perceived to play faster. It could go either way (I believe I had Rucker on there as the next TE, too lazy to check). At that point, though, as much a fan of Rucker as I am, I was thinking position, and more importantly, pass catching TE, and I think Keller is a more aware TE right now in regards to how to find the open areas in a defense and I think Keller has better hands.

LLoyd Floyd-Boyd
12-25-2007, 04:32 PM
6. Rams - I've seen a few places hint at the possible 3-4 switch. The personnel is there. Carriker at end/Ryan at NT/Adeyanju and someone at the other end spot is a decent start. Witherspoon playing an OLB role in the 3-4 may actually help him. That said, I can see Chris Long there, 3-4 or 4-3, so in a year with confusion at the top, I think a lot of possibilities exist.

One thing to consider is that Leonard Little has a cap hit of $10m next year - he is due an enormous roster bonus. If they release him rather than restructure that leaves them awfully thin at DE.

defensiveback23
12-25-2007, 06:36 PM
Not huge on SD selecting another DB in round one, but since we really don't have any glaring needs and with Florence leaving in the offseason the position is looking a little thin. If they do go after a DB in round one I would think they would look at a true S because they drafted Paul Oliver as Florence's replacement. Although, S isn't looking too bad anymore with Weddle getting increasing playing time and Hart coming on strong over the last half or so of the season.

It looks to me like OL is the bigger area of need at this point. I think the Chargers could use a mauling RT whose athletic enough to pull and block in space for LT. Clary hasn't been anything special since he surprisingly supplanted Olivea ( Although since Clary was inserted into the lineup the blocking has definitely seen improvement). Even though Goff is still playing at a high level, he is coming closer to the end of his career. It looks like we have his successor already on board with either Olivea, Mruczkowski or Clary if a RT is indeed the target in round one. Center could also use a look because even though Hardwick has been excellent, he is also a bit injury prone.

Up until recently I thought the DL needed to be addressed high in the draft, particularly NT. Brandon McKinney has really looked stout replacing Williams, even if he is not the same caliber athlete. I could easily see the team selecting a NT #1 if they are not convince McKinney is the future answer as Jamal's replacement. At DE Olshansky and Castillo have been great, but both have missed time with injuries (Castillo especially). Their backups, Cesaire and Bingham, have played very well in their absences and both have been rewarded with contract extensions but a new face could definitely be added to the rotation.

HB has to be on the radar with Turner leaving. Sproles is a nice RS and 3rd down runner but he isn't the answer if LT goes down. If a good one like Stewart falls into the Chargers laps it might be to hard to pass on.

I don't think a WR will be drafted by the Chargers at all. Chambers has been a huge pickup and Jackson has made plays when Rivers has gotten him the ball. Davis' numbers might not show it but he has been an important contributor, mostly on slants on 3rd down. He has great hands and has played well when given the opportunity; the problem is there just isn't enough balls to go around when he is usually the 5th option behind LT, Gates, Chambers and Jackson. Legedu Naanee is in a similar predicament as Davis. He has made the most out of his opportunities but is even further down the pecking order. Overall, I think the Chargers are set at WR with a lot of talent at the position. It would be very intriguing to me if Desean Jackson fell to them though.

What ultimately happens with the Chargers is perhaps the most difficult prediction of the first round. With their lack of a glaring weakness I think the two main possibilities they have are drafting the BPA or trading down if somebody, like Woodson, falls.

etk
12-25-2007, 08:21 PM

Look, Woodson doesn't fit perfectly is an understatement. He doesn't fit at all! I'd honestly rather draft someone like Paul Smith, who does fit, over Woodson, no matter what their overall value is. Woodson does have great potential, but only in an offense that utilizes his talents. Do you honestly wanna go through Chris Simms pt. 2 again?

I don't know much about Josh Johnson, but I do know that we need a LDE & NT more than we need a QB, just for future reference toonster.

etk
12-25-2007, 08:26 PM
I definitely do not like Caldwell in the first round and like Doucet a lot better in that situation. The round 2 pick of Williams is solid. Johnson is a decent fit for Tampa's offense but I just can't see him a legitimate franchise QB in the NFL and would rather wait another season and draft a top flight signal caller.

I'm warming up to the Caldwell pick. He's a lot more athletic than Doucet, and both have been banged up recently. While Doucet is a better fit overall for our WCO, I think Caldwell is a better deep threat. There's also the FL connection which makes the pick more realistic.

Williams is a good pick, another local connection. I didn't bother to check who was available on either pick so I won't offer up another solution.

Agree on Johnson.

toonsterwu
12-25-2007, 09:00 PM
Early first round sketches for the next no-trade mock:

1. Miami Dolphins – DE Chris Long, Virginia

I’m leaning to going back on Long. There seems to be some speculation that he’s the target. That said, I’ll ponder it, as Gholston is still possible. As for a trade mock, I’m trying to see how I feel on the Falcons moving up.

2. St. Louis Rams – OLB/DE Vernon Gholston, the Ohio State

I think a pass rusher is needed, whatever the defense is. Gholston can be that guy, the edge guy that may open up some room inside in that rare occurrence. McFadden, though, is an interesting thing to ponder. OL is a bit too high here, IMO.

3. New York Jets – RB Darren McFadden, Arkansas

I think any of the guys ahead would be of interest for them. But with Long/Gholston off, it’s McFadden here. I can’t think of another guy that I would buy. Maybe Laurinaitis, but I don’t buy it.

4. Atlanta Falcons – QB Matt Ryan, Boston College

In a no-trade, if it falls this way, I think they may go with the top value. And I wouldn’t be surprised if Ryan is the top value, irrespective of position.

5. Kansas City Chiefs – DT Glenn Dorsey, LSU

OL is still a thought, but they’ve moved up enough that a solid tackle can likely be found in round 2, perhaps followed by a guard/cb in round 3. They can afford to try and get their impact guy here, if they wanted to. Dorsey/Ellis could be the top values. This makes McBride more end/swing guy than tackle, which is probably a shame for a 2nd rounder, but it could be in their best interest (and develop Tank as the NT).

6. Oakland Raiders – DT Sedrick Ellis, Southern California

They need to improve their defensive line in some regards. OL could get a lot of consideration here, but I can really see them waiting on that until the 2nd. There isn’t end value, and Lane “knows” Sedrick.

7. Baltimore Ravens – CB Mike Jenkins, South Florida

This would be an interesting one to watch. Would they go with, say, Brohm? I wouldn’t be surprised. But would Brohm merit value here? Only time will tell. They’ve stuck to their board before, irrespective of need, and made secondary moves to compensate (Boller year).

8. New England Patriots f/ San Francisco 49ers – LB James Laurinaitis, the Ohio State

Even if they can land a LB in FA/trade, another guy could be nice as Colvin is banged up, Vrabel is aging.

9. Cincinnati Bengals – DE Phillip Merling, Clemson

I’m mildly curious how they view their young safeties. If they like them enough, that takes Phillips off the board. This is a messy situation. They need defense, but LB is what, Keith Rivers? DL? An end like Merling or Campbell? DT value is off. Perhaps a surprise offensive pick if a WR (or two) gets moved.

10. Denver Broncos – S Kenny Phillips, the U

The reward for losing is allowing them to be better situated to get guys to fill their needs. They need that safety help. LB can be found later.

11. Carolina Panthers – OT Jake Long, Michigan

This is a tough call. Someone like Jake Long is still hanging around. So is a QB like Brohm. They could go defensive line, they could LB. Long’s probably gone by then, with a team moving up, but he gets the nod here. A lot of options to ponder.

12. Chicago Bears – QB Brian Brohm, Louisville

I don’t like Brohm, but Brohm, Otah, Clady? I think the Bears go Brohm in that instance, and if Rex resigns, it’s as a placeholder.

13. Arizona Cardinals – CB Leodis McKelvin, Troy

Looking secondary here if there’s value, although OL/edge will get consideration, along with BPA. The smooth cover ability of McKelvin could win out over Malcolm Jenkins, who’s a tad similar to Antrel Rolle.

14. New Orleans Saints – CB Malcolm Jenkins, the Ohio State

Secondary help is needed, and Jenkins could be a guy that’s overanalyzed right now. Maybe OL value gets them to jump. But that defense needs work.

15. Buffalo Bills – WR Malcolm Kelly, Oklahoma

Don’t really buy LB or CB here, and there is no DT value and I don’t see DE this high. Thus offense, and a bigger WR seems more possible without Fairchild.

16. Houston Texans – LB Keith Rivers, Southern California

The growing suspicion here is that Kubiak, like Shanahan, will desire to follow their beliefs on the offensive system unless they absolutely love someone. As much as a RB might make sense, as much as the OL value is too good, I can see them passing. That said, this go around finds Clady and Otah available, so I’ll ponder OL and whether or not I’ll go back to RB.

17. Detroit Lions – OT Ryan Clady, Boise State

OT value is too good, and OT is a need. Clady gets the nod over Otah. I expect that a team has already moved up to snag a falling OT, if not 2.

18. Philadelphia Eagles – CB Aqib Talib, Kansas

This is an iffy call and maybe a product of me thinking too hard on DB. I’ll go back and revisit things. But if Talib runs a good time, I could see it.

19. Minnesota Vikings – WR Desean Jackson, California

The need for a playmaking WR is there, irrespective of what happens at the QB position.

20. Washington Redskins – DE Calais Campbell, the U

With DB value here being fringy, the nod goes to Calais Campbell. That said, Otah could be a darkhorse consideration here if they let Jansen go, and another CB could rise enough to warrant consideration, or a WR.

21. Dallas Cowboys f/ Cleveland Browns – OT Jeff Otah, Pittsburgh

I’m fairly certain Cleveland’s lower W-L percentage puts them at this spot, and not Tennessee, as others have reported. Otah’s taken a mighty fall in this one (well, OL in general). In real life, someone perhaps moves up for him, but the value here is too good to pass up.

22. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – WR Early Doucet, LSU

Is there a defensive player worth consideration? Not sure. OT and RB don’t seem a glaring need anymore. WR? QB? DT? CB? Not a good situation. I’ve slid Doucet back up since the last go around.

23. Tennessee Titans – WR Limas Sweed, Texas

End value is Chris Ellis, perhaps Jason Jones, perhaps another guy. Not sure I see a guy from that bunchthat, so went back to WR.

24. Seattle Seahawks – RB Jonathan Stewart, Oregon

A hard team to figure. I could see them wait on RB, although RB is arguably the best value. OL? I can see it here … and could see them waiting. It wouldn’t stun me if they took a WR, or if there was a QB they loved, to draft someone for the future. I expect offense, though.

25. Pittsburgh Steelers – OT Alex Boone, the Ohio State

As much as DL was tempting, their OL needs help. If Duke Robinson comes out, perhaps that. Baker seems unlikely. Cherilus wouldn’t surprise me. I wonder about Chris Williams … but he doesn’t slot in well early and this is a team that can win now. In a mild surprise, I’m going Alex Boone. A strong offseason and perhaps Loadholt is a consideration. I could see the Steelers jumping up in a trade mock if the top 3 OT’s are falling.

26. San Diego Chargers – OT Gosder Cherilus, Boston College

Is his general value here? Probably not, but he could perhaps step in at RT now. I could see Kentwan Balmer here as well, along with DB’s. A trade would be ideal.

27. New York Giants – OT Chris Williams, Vanderbilt

LB? CB? OT? Those seem to be the top targets. I still like the OT nod but will consider other picks again.

28. Jacksonville Jaguars – DE Chris Ellis, Virginia Tech

Slowly becoming a staple pick. Perhaps time to ponder other spots, such as WR more. But they could use the young end.

29. Green Bay Packers – CB Patrick Lee, Auburn

Still looking CB here. Maybe OL emerges as a possibility, but DB still seems the most likely.

30. San Francisco 49ers f/ Indianapolis Colts – DL Kentwan Balmer, North Carolina

Balmer fell this time, and he’s the ideal pick. If they stay 3-4, a solid guy to try. If not, could be a 4-3 DT. Other possibilities exist but the value of this might be too good.

31. Dallas Cowboys – RB Felix Jones, Arkansas

Slipped a bit this time around … to the other Cowboys spot. But … shoring up the offense when the defense needs help? That’d seem iffy. That said, I could see this happen (drafting Jones instead of a CB).

32. New England Patriots – forfeited

scar988
12-25-2007, 09:12 PM
4. Atlanta Falcons Ė QB Matt Ryan, Boston College

In a no-trade, if it falls this way, I think they may go with the top value. And I wouldnít be surprised if Ryan is the top value, irrespective of position.

Ryan isn't a top 4 player in the draft. better VALUE is Dorsey.

toonsterwu
12-25-2007, 09:30 PM
I would not be surprised, at the end of the day, if a QB was considered as a top 4 value, if not top 3 value. I find it hard that one would be considered a top 2 value, but I can see a lot of teams moving a QB, and probably Ryan although Brohm is possible, as a top 4 possibility.

scar988
12-25-2007, 09:34 PM
I would not be surprised, at the end of the day, if a QB was considered as a top 4 value, if not top 3 value. I find it hard that one would be considered a top 2 value, but I can see a lot of teams moving a QB, and probably Ryan although Brohm is possible, as a top 4 possibility.

I don't see Ryan as the guy, mainly because he can't do the deep ball, where Brohm can make all of the throws.

toonsterwu
12-25-2007, 10:13 PM
Eh, I don't like Brohm's deep ball all that much either. The top deep balls in this draft probably belong to Woodson/Flacco (too lazy to think too hard on that in regards to other prospects). Neither Brohm or Ryan are great deep throwers, although Ryan has some more room for development. As for Brohm, to me, he's way overhyped. He reminds me of Matt Schaub as a prospect. Like Schaub was, I'm not sold on the consistency of Brohm on the hard outs. That said, I know the reality of it is that he'll go early, but I don't buy the idea that Brohm can make more throws than Ryan can. I wouldn't be surprised if Ryan ends up with better velocity numbers.

etk
12-26-2007, 12:30 PM
I think Flacco would look great in a Falcons uni, but only if they upgrading their OT situation. I think Atlanta has to go OT with their #1.

Bobo
12-26-2007, 03:08 PM
23. Tennessee Titans Ė WR Limas Sweed, Texas

End value is Chris Ellis, perhaps Jason Jones, perhaps another guy. Not sure I see a guy from that bunchthat, so went back to WR.

Doesn't seem like he's done enough to warrant a 1st round pick to me, and he doesn't look like a guy who will rise a lot with workouts.

Who is Jason Jones?

TitleTown088
12-26-2007, 04:52 PM
Mike SHERMAN helping the Packers toonster? Come on man, I expect better from you.

Scotty D
12-26-2007, 04:53 PM
Doesn't seem like he's done enough to warrant a 1st round pick to me, and he doesn't look like a guy who will rise a lot with workouts.

Who is Jason Jones?

DE, Eastern Michigan

george_allen
12-26-2007, 06:07 PM

1. Miami Dolphins Ė DE Chris Long, Virginia

Iím leaning to going back on Long. There seems to be some speculation that heís the target. That said, Iíll ponder it, as Gholston is still possible. As for a trade mock, Iím trying to see how I feel on the Falcons moving up.

2. St. Louis Rams Ė OLB/DE Vernon Gholston, the Ohio State

I think a pass rusher is needed, whatever the defense is. Gholston can be that guy, the edge guy that may open up some room inside in that rare occurrence. McFadden, though, is an interesting thing to ponder. OL is a bit too high here, IMO.

3. New York Jets Ė RB Darren McFadden, Arkansas

I think any of the guys ahead would be of interest for them. But with Long/Gholston off, itís McFadden here. I canít think of another guy that I would buy. Maybe Laurinaitis, but I donít buy it.

i prefer this order as a rams fan, but i'm not convinced your prior version wasn't a more of a likelihood for the dolphins.
the first choice i thought of when i read tunas comments regarding drafting players with a passion for football was chris long. i certainly get the speculation that he would be tunas top guy based on that comment, but while i haven't come across any material that says gholston is that type of guy, i haven't come across anything that says he doesn't have the passion. he certainly has a sound work ethic.

also, if it's gonna be the 3-4 in miami, does it make economic sense to invest #1 money in a de? i don't see c.long as an 3-4 olb, but gholston, on the other hand, should do quite well there. aside from the obvious pass rush skill set, i could swear i've seen a youtube linked here in some thread of gholston picking off a pass after dropping back in coverage.

lastly, seeing that mcfadden lasted to #3, what team(s) if any would you guess might attempt to trade up ahead of the jets to get him - if you were doing a trades-included mock. any chance of al davis making a move?

johbur
12-26-2007, 09:57 PM

I like this mock better. Laurinaitis, to me, is not a top 5 talent. McKelvin shooting up that high would surprise me, as I personally think that he is a marginal first rounder, though the combine can change what happens with almost any player.

Good job on the first one, and the second one looks even better.

Tampa 2 4 life
12-26-2007, 10:03 PM
22. Tampa Bay Buccaneers Ė WR Early Doucet, LSU

Is there a defensive player worth consideration? Not sure. OT and RB donít seem a glaring need anymore. WR? QB? DT? CB? Not a good situation. Iíve slid Doucet back up since the last go around.

Okam as a NT has to be considered, Hovan's starting to get up there.

dbtb135
12-26-2007, 11:56 PM
25. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

The us against the world mantra held firm for Chucky this year. With Gruden looking like a return, after earlier rumors, the big question for me is how soon the offense can take the next step. They’ve really retooled an aging defense. The next step is to make the offense better than, well, it’s ever been in recent years.

One of the biggest positives for this year has to be the emergence of Earnest Graham. They should feel more comfortable with their RB situation next year. They could look at LT’s. A WR is a thought. Defensively, if an interior talent stands out, sure. If not, it can wait. Maybe some secondary depth. Oh, a QB of the future has to be on the radar a bit. This pick should be offense.

A lot of LT talk this year, but really, Donald Penn has been solid enough. Maybe they draft someone later on, but here? I’m hard pressed to buy it. I’m leaning WR even though the value/fit is questionable. I don’t buy Sweed, but he may be the better value. I buy Doucet, but is his value worth it here? I don’t buy Hardy here as a fit. I could buy Manningham/Bennett as fits, but is the value here? Where does Caldwell fit into the equation? Caldwell seems left in the dust in draft talks. The durability issue is probably the main factor, but a Florida/Meyer stigma is also at work. I like Doucet better, but I could see Caldwell working into this spot.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers pick: WR Andre Caldwell, Florida

New York Giants pick: OT Chris Williams, Vanderbilt
Miami Dolphins pick: OL Alex Boone, the Ohio State
New York Jets pick: RB Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois
St. Louis Rams pick: OL Sam Baker, Southern California

54. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

They went WR earlier. What now? QB is a thought. DT could be a thought. CB can’t be ruled out. I’m leaning CB here.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers pick: CB Trae Williams, South Florida

90. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Caldwell and Trae Williams were the earlier nods. What now? OL? QB? Defense? I’m leaning QB here, perhaps someone like Josh Johnson is to Gruden’s liking.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers pick: QB Josh Johnson, San Diego

Seattle Seahawks pick: TE Martin Rucker, Missouri

What even makes Andre Caldwell a 1st round player? That pick is awful IMHO. I would consider him in round 2 maybe, but never in round 1. He doesn't have the skill set or the production of a very good WR prospect. Penn has been ok, but so was Anthony Davis when he was pushed into the line-up. We still replaced him with Petitgout when given the opportunity. We'd do the same with Penn if given the chance, believe that. So much talent we pass up, for what? A so-so WR who isn't that highly regarded? Not unless he's going to run in the 4.2s.

Trae Williams pick I like. We need young CBs and he's a great value there. Also fits the system well.

We have absolutely, positively no need for a project QB. None, period. Whatsoever. Our problem at QB is we've got a bunch of guys who are solid, but not the in-your-face talent we need. This is epitomized by the only QB who could take the spot with force the past two years was Jeff who is in the latter parts of his 30s. Guys like Bruce Gradkowski, Chris Simms, Tim Rattay, and Luke McCown are all guys Gruden has liked at one point or another and has tried/is trying to mold into a starter. He doesn't need another one of these. He needs a guy who is going to come in and be KNOWN to be the starter down the line. Enough of this "if it's done right, so and so could be the starter in XX season." We need a legit franchise QB, and I've been against that in the past for the money and overpaying (draft slot-wise) that top QBs get, but we need someone who is going to be the future from the word go. We need one 'yes, he is our guy' over another 15 'well maybes'.

aNYtitan
12-27-2007, 10:24 AM
Titans Mock Draft
1. First round - Calais Campbell
The way you made the mock makes for an extremely difficult decision. Campbell may be a poor man's Mario Williams, lacking the top end speed, but making up for it in strength. I would be split between him and DeSean, who I believe is a much better WR than Teddy Ginn Jr. was last year. However, the possibility of having Haynesworth and KVB opposite Campbell is too good to let up.

2. Second Round - Early Doucet
A steal here in the second, as he was projected to be a 1st rounder in earlier drafts. An absolute clutch receiver who can develop into a #1 and run every route needed to help Vince succeed. Makes up for not drafting Jackson in the first.

3. Third Round - Dustin Keller
Do not know much about Keller as I really don't get to see him play. Not sure how he ranks against Rucker, who I view as the better TE. Whoever the choice is, it makes perfect sense. Scaife is a better #2 option and Troupe just cannot produce. Keller or Rucker would be able to open up underneath routes