PDA

View Full Version : Junior DTs

Don Killuminati
12-22-2007, 06:07 PM
Scott must not expect any of them to declare, as he doesn't list a single one. Which juniors are likely to declare and where do they stack up with the seniors?

toonsterwu
12-22-2007, 06:12 PM
Scott must not expect any of them to declare, as he doesn't list a single one. Which juniors are likely to declare and where do they stack up with the seniors?

There really hasn't been much to indicate who would declare if at all, and it's questionable at this point in time if anyone would slot 3rd. It seems quite unlikely that anyone from the junior class would force their way into top 2, and I'm not sure someone would get past Kentwan Balmer, who a lot of people seem to love. All of them should stay. The best would probably be Pat Sims, who could perhaps garner a late 1st grade, at best, mid-first, IMO, and that's probably stretching it.

Cashmoney
12-22-2007, 06:45 PM
anyone got any info on fili moala?

Babylon
12-22-2007, 07:10 PM
anyone got any info on fili moala?

Pretty sure he put the paperwork in. He's a redshirt junior and he's 22 years old so it would probably be wise to go pro. Probably has the potential to get into round 2 if he does come out. Hard info i dont have.

SuperKevin
12-22-2007, 09:26 PM
Fili Moala is the only junior DT i'd expect to declare.

Other notable junior DTs are

Terrill Byrd Cincy
Peria Jerry Ole Miss
Pat Sims Auburn
Terrence Taylor Michigan
Roy Miller Texas
Marlon Favorite LSU
George Hypolite Colorado
BJ Raji Boston College

TitanHope
12-22-2007, 09:55 PM
Fili Moala, USC
Pat Sims, Auburn
Terrence Taylor, Michigan
B.J. Raji, Boston College
DeMonte Bolden, Tennessee

The only ones that come to mind, and I think all can play somewhere in the 3-4. Sims, Taylor, and Raji as NT's, and Moala and Bolden as DE's.

urinemonkey
12-22-2007, 10:04 PM
Jeff Owens from Georgia is another good junior DT.

genom
12-22-2007, 10:09 PM
How does Fili Moala look as a 3-4 DE prospect?

AkiliSmith
12-22-2007, 10:41 PM
How does Fili Moala look as a 3-4 DE prospect?

Like this:

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/46/467423m.jpg

Seriously though I think he could play end in a 3-4 but is a better prospect as a 4-3 tackle.

Solomon
12-23-2007, 11:28 AM

When Scott lists juniors at this early stage, I don't think that it's a projection of who he thinks will declare it's more just the underclassmen at a particular position if they are among the best at that position. Right now none of the underclassmen DT seem to be capable of overtaking the top 3 DT (Dorsey, Ellis and Moore).

Demarcus Granger is a redshirt soph but is probably the best of the bunch, I don't think he's been mentioned yet.

35 tackles, 8.5 TFL and 3.5 sacks this year and he does a great job of occupying blockers.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/granger_demarcus00.html

I'm also high on Huskers DT Ndamukong Suh another redshirt soph, he's got good size and is athletic. This year he put up 34 tackles, 6 TFL and 1 sack but he's capable of much more. In 2006 he had 8 TFL and 3.5 sacks in a rotational role. He would be very unlikely to come out this year but is definitly a name to watch for in the future.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=4&SPID=22&DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=157537&Q_SEASON=2008

Vikes99ej
12-23-2007, 11:46 AM
Pat Sims has said he's staying. I believe it is in the Early Entries Thread.

Babylon
12-23-2007, 12:02 PM
Like this:

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/46/467423m.jpg

Seriously though I think he could play end in a 3-4 but is a better prospect as a 4-3 tackle.

Definitely 4-3 tackle, i think he's solid but hard to tell if he's more than that, he had a ton of talent around him at USC which makes it hard to judge.

goblue8888
12-29-2007, 10:21 PM
Taylor is coming out

SuperKevin
12-29-2007, 10:21 PM
Taylor is coming out

Got a source on this or are you just being Nostradamus

Pit Bull #53
12-29-2007, 10:53 PM
I'd like to see Demonte Bolden actually put together a good season before I put him on any top list. He's about as inconsistent as they come.

goblue8888
12-30-2007, 09:44 AM
Got a source on this or are you just being Nostradamus

Yeah like i said in a couple other threads join some of the boards I am on and get in on some the insider email rings i am in on. Taylor is gone, he much like alan branch just does not like school.

Don Killuminati
12-30-2007, 01:40 PM
Insider email rings...

That's where Schefter gets his info, right? :rolleyes:

toonsterwu
12-30-2007, 08:08 PM
I think that's a mistake on Taylor's part. A solid senior season and he's a solid lock for the first. I'm not sold he's a lock right now. I definitely don't think he touches Dorsey/Ellis status and those two are locked in the top (in an odd way, this could benefit him, I guess, if both go off early enough that maybe a team decides to look for size late first.) That said, I'm not sold he's a lock to be a top 5 OT. He's got a shot, but I don't think he's a guarantee. One of the instances where height's going to play a factor.

BamaFalcon59
12-30-2007, 08:15 PM
He has a good shot to go at the top of round 2 though. Raiders, Falcons, and Chiefs all have big needs at defensive tackle.

georgiafan
12-30-2007, 08:26 PM
Jeff Owens from Georgia is another good junior DT.

He sent in the paper work, but is expected to come back for his senior year

Don Killuminati
12-30-2007, 08:40 PM
He has a good shot to go at the top of round 2 though. Raiders, Falcons, and Chiefs all have big needs at defensive tackle.

You're almost right. Had you posted "big" in all caps, then you would have been exactly right.

Don Killuminati
12-30-2007, 08:50 PM
I think that's a mistake on Taylor's part. A solid senior season and he's a solid lock for the first. I'm not sold he's a lock right now. I definitely don't think he touches Dorsey/Ellis status and those two are locked in the top (in an odd way, this could benefit him, I guess, if both go off early enough that maybe a team decides to look for size late first.) That said, I'm not sold he's a lock to be a top 5 OT. He's got a shot, but I don't think he's a guarantee. One of the instances where height's going to play a factor.

Draft stock aside, what about his pro readiness? Could he feasibly step right in and play a major role, or is he a guy who's going to need a lot of seasoning?

toonsterwu
12-31-2007, 01:15 AM
Personally, I think his chances of playing a major role right away is fringy.

What is he, in all honesty? There's very few successful 5'11" 315 NG's due to the fact that those dimensions don't help. He's not really a UT. A 4-3 NT perhaps, but even then, it's marginal. I'm really not sure what spot Taylor would excel and I'm not sure I see the dominant athletic ability to transcend that. I'd rather take someone like Richard Clebert than Taylor, but that's me and I'm wacko sometimes.

Texas Homer
12-31-2007, 12:51 PM
ROY MILLER DT TEXAS. He stepped up his game bigtime in the Holiday Bowl. He got double teams by Arizona st. for a a lot of the game and still got good push and disrupted the middle a lot. Keep an eye on him, because I think he is going to have a very good season next year.

zCaddyz
01-01-2008, 12:27 AM
Pat sims had a good game today