PDA

View Full Version : Sell me on Matt Ryan

BuffaloDraftGeek
12-22-2007, 10:17 PM
Personally, I don't get what all the hype is about. While I admit, I haven't seen that much of him (a few games is all), he really hasn't impressed me that much. Do I think he has potential to be a good QB? Sure. But do I think he's in an elite class and better than Brohm? Hell no.

However, I am an open individual who's willing to learn. So I'm asking you, please sell me on Matt Ryan? What does he have that makes him special as a prospect and sets himself apart from the rest?

toonsterwu
12-22-2007, 10:23 PM
I don't think he's going to be a great QB either, but in comparison to Brohm, by most accounts, he offers better intangibles, and he has better raw tools. Now, depending on your scheme, I could see Brohm's accuracy get valued, but Ryan can probably still fill out a bit. I think he's better at fitting balls into the window. Brohm has plusses compared to Ryan. He probably sees the field a bit better, and he's more consistent with his short-intermdiate range accuracy, amongst other aspects.

Neither one is really an elite QB prospect, and I don't expect either to become elite QB's in all honesty, although that's partially a factor of situation and circumstance.

Matthew Jones
12-22-2007, 10:37 PM
He has excellent size, intangibles, and toughness. He played with a broken foot for a lot of last year that hindered his production, and he also has a mediocre supporting cast but still manages to win lots of games. I'm kind of tired but that gives you a basic idea.

Green Bay Scat
12-22-2007, 10:39 PM
Matt only has 20k miles on him, owned by a man who liked coke and sex parties, thats gotta count for somethin

Jonny
12-23-2007, 12:52 AM
Ryan has a really high floor. I don't see him as having better tools than Brohm though, besides his mobility. Brohm's deep ball is a lot better.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-23-2007, 01:02 AM
By what measure does Ryan have a high floor? He's unbelievably INT prone and barely completed 60% of his passes his senior year in a not so good conference

Crickett
12-23-2007, 01:20 AM
He slices, he dices, he throws, he catches, he teleports, he can shoot laser beams from his eyes. He's the next Vince Young, Jay Cutler and Matt Leinart all rolled into one. No, not that he has the skills of all three, he's actually all three of them in one physical being. He can split into the three of them and make two of them invisible. He can put telepathic suggestions in the minds of defenses to jump offsides. He's Jim Sorgi's long lost brother.

He can do your math homework and juggle hammers at the same time. He can throw a football at a dartboard and then throw a second football at the first one and split the first football in twane. If you've ever seen Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves or Men In Tights and you've got a pretty good idea of what it looks like.

He's the next Reggie Bush
He's the next Jason Witten
He's the next Joey Porter
He's the next Levi Brown
He's the next Roy Williams
Both of them

Are you sold yet?

bruschis4all
12-23-2007, 08:14 AM
By what measure does Ryan have a high floor? He's unbelievably INT prone and barely completed 60% of his passes his senior year in a not so good conference

Other than SEC, which conference was better this year? Big XII. Yeah, right. Mizzou and Kansas could hang 50 on the whole league and they claim to play football. Did you some of the scores out there this year. Big 10. Please. I'm a PSU fan. Big 10 was terrible this year He played against some very good defenses. Va Tech 2x, won at Clemson, FSU still has a good defense. Pac-10 had a decent year. But, no better other than USC.

60% of passes isn't terrible. He has absolutely no talent at wr. A lot harder to force the ball into closely guarded receivers than those who are wide open. Because of their talent/or lack of defense by other team. He kind of reminds me of Bledsoe without the A+++ arm. Just an A arm. Which isn't bad. I wouldn't gamble on him being a franchise player by taking him in Top 3. But, Brohm isn't any better.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-23-2007, 06:53 PM
as a fan of the ACC, they were the worst major conference other than the Big 10 this year

dont confuse inept offenses for good defenses

ATLDirtyBirds
12-23-2007, 06:59 PM
Other than SEC, which conference was better this year? Big XII. Yeah, right. Mizzou and Kansas could hang 50 on the whole league and they claim to play football. Did you some of the scores out there this year. Big 10. Please. I'm a PSU fan. Big 10 was terrible this year He played against some very good defenses. Va Tech 2x, won at Clemson, FSU still has a good defense. Pac-10 had a decent year. But, no better other than USC.

60% of passes isn't terrible. He has absolutely no talent at wr. A lot harder to force the ball into closely guarded receivers than those who are wide open. Because of their talent/or lack of defense by other team. He kind of reminds me of Bledsoe without the A+++ arm. Just an A arm. Which isn't bad. I wouldn't gamble on him being a franchise player by taking him in Top 3. But, Brohm isn't any better.

LMAO. An "A" arm. That's classic.

Travis 24
12-23-2007, 07:55 PM
Kyle Boller is who he reminds me of...

neko4
12-23-2007, 08:12 PM

Got destroyed against Maryland, just so we dont forget

yo123
12-23-2007, 09:52 PM
I dont think I can sell you on him or any other QB in this draft, other than possibly Brian Brohm, even that would be tough.

Babylon
12-23-2007, 10:13 PM
I would say the scouting report on Ryan would be about the same scouting report on Tom Brady out of college. Tall, good arm, leadership skills. That would be the hope that he would develope into the next Tom Brady. Works for me.

Race for the Heisman
12-24-2007, 12:08 PM
His saving grace is his pocket presence, which has been absolutely top notch whenever I've watched him. There's almost no dropoff between his decisions under pressure and his decisions with time, which would be an amazing IF he made good decisions with time, but he doesn't. To be honest I like the Boller comparison, but I also see a little David Carr in him and a little Tom Brady. If he works hard, I think he can be everything Brady is, but I don't think he is competitive enough or as hard-working so that level is unlikely.

In response to the original prompt:
- Amazing pocket presence
- Good NFL arm
- Good leadership potential
- NFL frame
- Mobile enough for the next level
- Great overall potential/ceiling
- High character
- Intelligent

Babylon
12-24-2007, 01:23 PM
His saving grace is his pocket presence, which has been absolutely top notch whenever I've watched him. There's almost no dropoff between his decisions under pressure and his decisions with time, which would be an amazing IF he made good decisions with time, but he doesn't. To be honest I like the Boller comparison, but I also see a little David Carr in him and a little Tom Brady. If he works hard, I think he can be everything Brady is, but I don't think he is competitive enough or as hard-working so that level is unlikely.

- Good NFL arm
- NFL frame
- High character
- Intelligent

Not sure about the competitive enough or hard working enough comment. Dont know how a kid gets to where he is by not being that, also comparisons to Brady have to be at similar stages certainly not comparing him to the best in the business. The only dropoff i might see is the babes he hangs out with, it's going to be hard to beat old Tom in that category.:)

Don Vito
12-24-2007, 01:39 PM
I am a BC fan and I thought Ryan was a great college QB, but never really saw him as a legit NFL prospect until this season. He did so much with much less to work with than almost all of the 1st round QBs we have seen the last few years. Ryan has always had the tools but he looked so much more confident this year. He is big, is not fast but is mobile, is very smart, has a solid arm, and has all of the 'intangibles' like leadership, composure, and he is very aware in the pocket. He had very little talent at WR his whole career and had had very average RBs and TEs (the same starting RBs and TEs his whole career as a starter).

He did make a few poor throws this year, but you must consider that he had to do A LOT on his own. Not only was BC was there a lack of depth, experience, and talent at WR but he did not have a good line this season, some thing BC usually has. Gosder Cherilus was very solid solid but occasionally got beat by speed rushers. LG Ryan Poles, who was having a magnificent year, had a career-ending injury halfway through the season. At C, RG, and RT we started 2 freshman and a sophmore (who never played a down before this season) and they were all undersized at 260, 275, and 280 pounds.

I see Ryan as the best QB in this class, a top 10 pick, and a guy who has the ability to do great things in the NFL. If he goes to a team with some weapons and a decent line then he could really suprise some people. The best situation for him would be to sit for his first season or at least a good portion of it.

Thread Killer
12-24-2007, 02:40 PM
He might turn out to be a great one, but despite all of the reasons given by some, it seems to me that it's going to be very difficult to for a team to justify to it's fanbase spending a top 10 selection on a kid that threw 18 INTs his senior season.:confused:

I'd cancel my season tickets.

Shane P. Hallam
12-24-2007, 02:57 PM
I feel like his toughness is unmatched by the other QBs in this draft class. The guy thrives on intense situations.

scar988
12-24-2007, 03:24 PM

- Good NFL arm
- NFL frame
- High character
- Intelligent

good NFL ARM? um no. his arm is average for college and BELOW average for the pros. he has a WCO arm. unless he gets drafted by a WCO team he will bust.
not to mention he is a horrible decision makker. he isn't worth a top 5 pick. hell, he isn't worth a top 10 pick. I'd rather take Brohm.

keylime_5
12-24-2007, 04:25 PM
If I'm a fan of a team who is picking top ten then I'd pray that my club wouldn't take Ryan, Woodson, or Brohm. It's hard to find a good QB, but you need to build a good foundation before you put a young QB behind center, and I don't like any of those three unless they're on a good offense with a good line and great weapons. One of them might work in a place like Chicago or Atlanta maybe, but Baltimore or Miami is a bad place for a rookie QB right now.

joercky
12-24-2007, 04:49 PM
He was real great a/g VT. So great Glennon looked better.

Staubach12
12-25-2007, 09:55 AM
good NFL ARM? um no. his arm is average for college and BELOW average for the pros. he has a WCO arm. unless he gets drafted by a WCO team he will bust.
not to mention he is a horrible decision makker. he isn't worth a top 5 pick. hell, he isn't worth a top 10 pick. I'd rather take Brohm.

His arm will be about average on the next level, which will do the job. He has all the intangibles and looks to be a good leader of any team. What do you have against him?

Iamcanadian
12-25-2007, 01:43 PM
I really believe that the QB position in particular will see a lot of ups and downs in the post season. For me the dark horse is Brennan who has a lot to gain or lose in the post season. Woodson may be in that catagory as well.
I could see any of these 4 guys having a great post season and rising to the top of the charts. I don't think the seperation between them is all that significant at this moment although Ryan appears to be leading.
The scouts and GM's want to see these guys on an equal playing field where the supporting cast is the same for all 4 before truly deciding which one is at the top. I reiterate that any of these 4 can end at the top of the chart after the post season.
Right now in mocking, you have 2 choices. You can go along with Ryan at the top with Brohm next as per Bletso or I don't think it is too far off the wall to put your favourite there. At least one of them should probably end up top 5 with Miami and Atlanta in the running for their services.
Mocking prior to the post season is practically impossible and just for fun anyways.

scar988
12-25-2007, 06:48 PM
His arm will be about average on the next level, which will do the job. He has all the intangibles and looks to be a good leader of any team. What do you have against him?

nothing. as a 2nd rounder. I just don't think he is anywhere near the top 5 pick people make him out to be. to be a top 5 pick you have to be able to throw the deep ball. something he CAN'T do.

scar988
12-25-2007, 06:50 PM
I really believe that the QB position in particular will see a lot of ups and downs in the post season. For me the dark horse is Brennan who has a lot to gain or lose in the post season. Woodson may be in that catagory as well.
I could see any of these 4 guys having a great post season and rising to the top of the charts. I don't think the seperation between them is all that significant at this moment although Ryan appears to be leading.
The scouts and GM's want to see these guys on an equal playing field where the supporting cast is the same for all 4 before truly deciding which one is at the top. I reiterate that any of these 4 can end at the top of the chart after the post season.
Right now in mocking, you have 2 choices. You can go along with Ryan at the top with Brohm next as per Bletso or I don't think it is too far off the wall to put your favourite there. At least one of them should probably end up top 5 with Miami and Atlanta in the running for their services.
Mocking prior to the post season is practically impossible and just for fun anyways.
neither are top 5 in national (the service ATL uses)

falconsrule
12-25-2007, 06:52 PM
Okay Matt Ryan have great intangibles but you can also say the same thing about Trent Dilfer who is one of the smartest QB's in the leauge

Thunder&Lightning
12-25-2007, 07:11 PM
overated 100% i think he has a half decent arm makes many mistakes and the only reason he is #1 is because this years crop of QB's is so weak

KILLERSANTA
12-25-2007, 07:19 PM
Greatest thread EVER. I couldn't agree more. IMO Brian Brohm is heads and shoulders above any QB in this draft.

etk
12-25-2007, 07:35 PM
I read Scott's scouting report on Ryan, and I thought it was written perfectly. What I can't seem to understand is how he has him rated as the #1 QB and a top Senior prospect. Ryan's strengths are his mechanics, intangibles and touch. He put up pretty good numbers as a college QB, nothing special. He has average arm strength, spotty accuracy, and forces throws. Sounds more like a 2nd-3rd rounder than a top 5 pick to me. I think analysts and fans got carried away with him as a prospect because Brohm, Woodson & Brennan were all well-known figures going into the season, while Ryan slowly rose as he improved (in a more pass-happy offense). I think once all the smoke clears in April and all the tape is processed by GMs and scouts, Ryan will be the next QB to have a great draft day tumble. He doesn't have the skillset to be a game-managing backup because he forces throws and has spotty accuracy, and intangibles alone won't make him a consistent starter. I think he has bust written all over him, and it would be a shame if he was drafted ahead of the other 3 QBs mentioned because they are all solid prospects in their own right.

etk
12-25-2007, 07:40 PM
as a fan of the ACC, they were the worst major conference other than the Big 10 this year

dont confuse inept offenses for good defenses

They had an article in the Sun-Sentinel yesterday where they calculated the best conferences using statistical formulas. The SEC was first, followed by the ACC at 2nd, then the Big East, with the Big 10 & 12 tied for last. There were several determining factors in this study. The media likes to make it seem like the ACC & Big East suck, but stats don't lie.

Staubach12
12-25-2007, 09:48 PM
nothing. as a 2nd rounder. I just don't think he is anywhere near the top 5 pick people make him out to be. to be a top 5 pick you have to be able to throw the deep ball. something he CAN'T do.

Alright, I agree, somewhat. Top 5 really is not realistic for me. Bottom of the 1st or top of the second is where he really should be, and ultimately where he'll end up. The guy is no JR, but despite his flaws as a prospect, I think he can have success on the next level. You just made it sound as if he shouldn't even be drafted.

toonsterwu
12-25-2007, 10:19 PM
They had an article in the Sun-Sentinel yesterday where they calculated the best conferences using statistical formulas. The SEC was first, followed by the ACC at 2nd, then the Big East, with the Big 10 & 12 tied for last. There were several determining factors in this study. The media likes to make it seem like the ACC & Big East suck, but stats don't lie.

I have to say, I think the ACC has gotten unfairly bashed this year. By no means am I saying the ACC was good, but who else was good? SEC was the top dog, but what else is out there? Big East was bad. Big 10? There's OSU ... there's what? Michigan? Um ... no knock on them, but even their fans would admit they weren't good. Wisconsin was fringy. Big 12 gets talked up, but a lot of that was inflated on Missouri/Kansas perceptions. How good those two teams are is certianlty detabale and there wasn't much else to get all that excited about. Well, Tech. I'd probably give the Pac-10 second this past year, as a healthy Dennis Dixon and they might be in the title game. But ... there's very little depth.

I'd go

1. SEC
2. Pac-10
3. Big 12
4. ACC
5. Big 10
6. Big East

but I think 3/4 is close. Definitely a year of parity this year across the board conference wise, IMO.

toonsterwu
12-25-2007, 10:24 PM
I read Scott's scouting report on Ryan, and I thought it was written perfectly. What I can't seem to understand is how he has him rated as the #1 QB and a top Senior prospect. Ryan's strengths are his mechanics, intangibles and touch. He put up pretty good numbers as a college QB, nothing special. He has average arm strength, spotty accuracy, and forces throws. Sounds more like a 2nd-3rd rounder than a top 5 pick to me. I think analysts and fans got carried away with him as a prospect because Brohm, Woodson & Brennan were all well-known figures going into the season, while Ryan slowly rose as he improved (in a more pass-happy offense). I think once all the smoke clears in April and all the tape is processed by GMs and scouts, Ryan will be the next QB to have a great draft day tumble. He doesn't have the skillset to be a game-managing backup because he forces throws and has spotty accuracy, and intangibles alone won't make him a consistent starter. I think he has bust written all over him, and it would be a shame if he was drafted ahead of the other 3 QBs mentioned because they are all solid prospects in their own right.

I don't disagree with the premise that Ryan could be a question. As I've noted before, I like Flacco the best, albeit, in an upside nod.

But ... Brennan's digestion of the passing game isn't nearly as advanced as some suggest, IMO, which has been one of the calling cards for his draft potential. Woodson, another guy I like, has a lot of mechanical work to do, which is often an indicator of bust possibilities. Brohm's skillset is a bit overrated, IMO.

Not trying to nitpick at these guys instead of Ryan, who has his own warts, but all four of these guys are iffy QB prospects, IMO. Brohm reminds me of Schaub as a prospect, and while I'm a UVA fan, that's not a good thing. Woodson and Leftwich hold some similarities iin a problematic way. Brennan, well, there isn't an ideal fit. Somewhat reminds me of Akili Smith in some regards. Ryan reminds me a bit of David Carr.

In short, I could see all four of those guys "busting".

Was thinking of other comps for those 4 -

I could see Brennan and perhaps Ryan eliciting some Tim Couch comparisons.

Iamcanadian
12-25-2007, 11:40 PM
neither are top 5 in national (the service ATL uses)

Good point but like I said, I think the scouts and GM's are anxious to work these guys out to see if one has the talent. Otherwise all bets are off and anything becomes possible.

etk
12-26-2007, 12:25 PM
I have to say, I think the ACC has gotten unfairly bashed this year. By no means am I saying the ACC was good, but who else was good? SEC was the top dog, but what else is out there? Big East was bad. Big 10? There's OSU ... there's what? Michigan? Um ... no knock on them, but even their fans would admit they weren't good. Wisconsin was fringy. Big 12 gets talked up, but a lot of that was inflated on Missouri/Kansas perceptions. How good those two teams are is certianlty detabale and there wasn't much else to get all that excited about. Well, Tech. I'd probably give the Pac-10 second this past year, as a healthy Dennis Dixon and they might be in the title game. But ... there's very little depth.

I'd go

1. SEC
2. Pac-10
3. Big 12
4. ACC
5. Big 10
6. Big East

but I think 3/4 is close. Definitely a year of parity this year across the board conference wise, IMO.

I agree with that assessment. My bad on the rankings: I forgot about the Pac-10. The ACC was actually 3rd behind the SEC and Pac-10.