PDA

View Full Version : Lance Briggs...

Smokey Joe
12-24-2007, 12:34 AM
Is he worth the money? I personally think he is, but Jamar Williams played decent today and we do have Okwo... should we perhaps spend the money to improve 2-3 different positions and take our chances with Williams and Okwo?...

also, what if we franchised Briggs just to trade him? Would that work or would that make the Bears front office loss a lot of credibility?

joercky
12-24-2007, 01:09 AM
you can't franchise him b/c if i recall if he played in 75% of the defensive snaps da bears said that they wouldn't franchise him again.

regoob2
12-24-2007, 07:03 AM
He signed a clause that stated we can not franchise him, and if we did I doubt he would sign it. I didn't watch Williams play but Briggs is a pro bowler and plays every down for us. If we use the money else where in free agency who says they have the impact that we already know he will have.

Smokey Joe
12-24-2007, 09:37 AM
I thought it was a verbal agreement...

Smokey Joe
12-24-2007, 12:27 PM
interesting stuff...

Hip sidelines Briggs, uncertain for Saints

December 24, 2007
BY BRAD BIGGS

The next time you see a Bears helmet on Lance Briggs' head might be the Pro Bowl.

The weak-side linebacker sat out Sunday's game because of an aching hip, and his status for the season finale against New Orleans is uncertain.

A source close to Briggs said the free-agent-to-be was aiming to return against the Saints to leave no question that he has been on the field for 75 percent of the defensive snaps this season. That's the threshold he must hit to prevent the Bears from again placing the franchise tag on him, which would deny him the lucrative payday it appears he'll get elsewhere.

But Briggs, who declined to speak when leaving the locker room, appears to already have reached the magic number, having played in 12½ games. He's a three-down linebacker who doesn't come off the field. It comes down to defensive snaps over the entire season, and the Packers held the ball Sunday for only 54 plays, a season-low for the Bears. In the other game Briggs missed in its entirety, Detroit had only 55 offensive plays.

toonsterwu
12-24-2007, 09:00 PM
Let him go. Look, I like Briggs. Good player. But I wouldn't spend the money on him unless we can't find anyone to take our money. Positionally, it's not the most complex position within the scheme. Maybe Williams/Okwo won't be as good ... but I don't think they'd be that bad to become a concern. We're at an interesting crossroads, and I don't subscribe to the idea of spending like that, for such a position's role with the scheme, unless we had clarity on the direction for our future.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
12-25-2007, 12:14 AM
Jamar Williams sure is good at tackling people from behind..

The LB core goes from very good to very average when Briggs walks this off-season.

Hurricane Ditka
01-01-2008, 07:19 PM
We will be fine with Williams and Okwo, Briggs is going to cost too much and quite frankly he's not worth the money he'll demand on the open market. Berrian and Tommie are more deserving of contract extensions and new deals than Briggs is. What good would signing Briggs do if we lost Tommie Harris because of it? People thought we wouldn't get over losing Colvin and Holdman but we did.

scottyboy
01-01-2008, 07:25 PM
found this little article...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-071231chicagobearsbriggs,1,5482411.story?coll=cs-bears-headlines

the other players feel he'll leave. Take it for what it's worth.

What are your feelings on Briggs? how would he fit in another defense? would he be a good fit in the Giants system?

regoob2
01-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Can we do a sign and trade with Briggs?

Smokey Joe
01-02-2008, 01:49 PM
nope...........

Gay Ork Wang
01-02-2008, 02:44 PM
I like Briggs in a Cover 2 Scheme i guess. Dont really no what the Giants mainly play

bearsfan_51
01-02-2008, 03:36 PM
I'd be suprised if Briggs comes back honestly, and I'm ok with that.

I'm not a Jamar Williams fan but I do like Michael Okwo. I wouldn't be against Okwo at MLB and Urlacher at WLB. I think that would probably hurt our run defense a bit, but if Dvoracek can stay healthy and we get safties that can tackle that should equalize that and give us money to spend elsewhere.

toonsterwu
01-02-2008, 04:21 PM
I think Briggs would be fine with the Giants. If I'm not mistaken, his time at Arizona coincided with Antonio Pierce's. Not sure if they were friends, and Pierce was a class or 2 ahead, so who knows if that helps. That said, he's got the athleticism to do good in Spags system there.

I'm actually the opposite on Okwo/Williams. I wasn't huge on Okwo last year as a draft pick, and Williams has better athleticism than Okwo. That said, I do think Okwo would be better at MLB than Williams, whereas I think Williams may be better at WLB than Okwo. It also wouldn't surprise me if we picked up a LB in the 3rd round. I expect some good weakside types to be there and hold quality value.

Smokey Joe
01-02-2008, 04:30 PM
I just was reading a cap analysist of the Bears, and we have about 20 million in cap space, but cutting some players such as Darwin Walker, Fred Miller, RMJ, Archuletta, and Mike Brown (restucture?) would save us around 13-15 million. SO, maybe there is still hope for Briggs to stay.

scottyboy
01-02-2008, 04:58 PM
I think Briggs would be fine with the Giants. If I'm not mistaken, his time at Arizona coincided with Antonio Pierce's. Not sure if they were friends, and Pierce was a class or 2 ahead, so who knows if that helps. That said, he's got the athleticism to do good in Spags system there.

I'm actually the opposite on Okwo/Williams. I wasn't huge on Okwo last year as a draft pick, and Williams has better athleticism than Okwo. That said, I do think Okwo would be better at MLB than Williams, whereas I think Williams may be better at WLB than Okwo. It also wouldn't surprise me if we picked up a LB in the 3rd round. I expect some good weakside types to be there and hold quality value.

yes, he and Pierce are good friends. During this offseason, when he was tagged or whatever, Pierce was lobbying hard for Lance. I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure they roomed together in hotels on road trips when they were at Arizona. I'd love Briggs in Big Blue alongside Pierce and Kiwanuka

awfullyquiet
01-02-2008, 05:55 PM
I just was reading a cap analysist of the Bears, and we have about 20 million in cap space, but cutting some players such as Darwin Walker, Fred Miller, RMJ, Archuletta, and Mike Brown (restucture?) would save us around 13-15 million. SO, maybe there is still hope for Briggs to stay.

I think there's a distinct possibility to do that. lock him up in a compromise deal of last year. with benson making little to no money, paying grossman nothing to stay. who's the top money makers? berrian. harris. urlacher. and soon to be briggs. if urlacher gets injured i don't want to be without someone who can be a threat as an LB. I wouldn't like to see jamar williams, okwo, and hillenmeyer at all this year at once. just saying. i think they both have potential, but the time isn't now.

no love
01-04-2008, 03:25 PM
I'd be suprised if Briggs comes back honestly, and I'm ok with that.

I'm not a Jamar Williams fan but I do like Michael Okwo. I wouldn't be against Okwo at MLB and Urlacher at WLB. I think that would probably hurt our run defense a bit, but if Dvoracek can stay healthy and we get safties that can tackle that should equalize that and give us money to spend elsewhere.

What leads you to believe that Dusty Dvoracek is the answer to stopping the run? He has been injured for two years and has shown nothing.

Plus moving Okwo to MLB sounds like a pretty ridiculous idea to me. Why move your best player on the team to a position which he has never played, just to get some second year player in a position where he MIGHT be successful. I think if you have been a 6-time probowler at your position, there is not reason for you to move. Make the young guy learn the WLB position.

awfullyquiet
01-04-2008, 05:04 PM
What leads you to believe that Dusty Dvoracek is the answer to stopping the run? He has been injured for two years and has shown nothing.

Plus moving Okwo to MLB sounds like a pretty ridiculous idea to me. Why move your best player on the team to a position which he has never played, just to get some second year player in a position where he MIGHT be successful. I think if you have been a 6-time probowler at your position, there is not reason for you to move. Make the young guy learn the WLB position.

because okwo can play that position better in our scheme.

urlacher can play as much in all three, and has at times... he's a natural fit for wlb, slb, and mlb in our system. why does he play mlb? because hunter fits best as a sam, and briggs as a weak. it's a speed, agility, coverage idea.

Smokey Joe
01-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Dusty wasn't injured in his rookie season, the team just uses the IR pretty much like a college redshirt.

bearsfan_51
01-04-2008, 06:15 PM
WLB is a more important position in the tampa 2 than the MLB position. That's a fact.

Okwo (or Williams) are probably better suited to play MLB. That's an opinion.

Urlacher's career would likely be sustained if he's not in the middle taking on so many blocks. It's not as if I'm the first person that has suggested that.

As far as Dvoracek goes, he really stood out to me in the San Diego game. I think he's a perfect NT for the style of defense we run and have loved the pick from the minute it was made. If he can't stay healthy than sure, but the injuries he's had so far haven't been cumulative like Mike Brown's are.

Rush23Hester
01-08-2008, 01:30 PM
I think we'll be alright without Lance Briggs. I would much rather have Berrian and Tommie Harris as opposed to Briggs. Hurricane Ditka was 100% right when he said "people didn't think we could get over the loss of Holdman and Colvin." We are only losing Briggs, if our safeties and defensive linemen can stay healthy, his absence won't be felt really. Especially if Mike Brown could stay healthy (for once lol) it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Whoever he winds up with, he will not be there 3 years down the road, you heard it here. He reminds me of a TO type player, if he isn't happy, the team will suffer.