PDA

View Full Version : Allow me to introduce first: Mockaveli the Don

Don Killuminati
12-24-2007, 10:55 AM
1 Miami - Vernon Gholston / DE-OLB / tOSU
Someone always flies up draft boards during the offseason, and it looks like Gholston is going to be that guy this year. The prototype edge rusher, Gholston is a perfect fit for the 3-4. This pick simply screams Bill Parcells.

2 St. Louis - Chris Long / DE / Virginia
When 2008 rolls around, the Rams O-line should be healthy and clicking again. Offensively, injuries are their only major concern. Defensively, however, the same cannot be said. Jim Haslett's defense needs help on all 3 levels. Taking Long here is a huge step in the right direction, not only for what he does getting after the QB. But with the way he plays the run as well. Glenn Dorsey gets a long look, but in the end, Chris Long just makes too much sense.

3 New York Jets - Glenn Dorsey / DT / LSU
Sitting at #3 overall, you'd think that one of their top two rated players might be available. Such is life for the New York Jets. But, nevertheless, all is well. By taking Dorsey here, they dramatically upgrade a defensive line that has, to say the least, been underwhelming. Darren McFadden and Jake Long get some consideration. But in the end, it's Dorsey.

4 Atlanta - Darren McFadden / RB / Arkansas
QB? OL? Yes, and yes. Value? Talent? Game changing ability? Darren McFadden.

5 New England (from San Francisco) - Malcolm Jenkins / CB / tOSU
The 30 other teams should all take time out to write the Jets a thank you letter. If McFadden were available here, I have little doubt that the Patriots would have pounced on him. As it stands, they add the top rated DB on the board and protect themselves from Asante Samuel's inevitable bid to cash in as a free agent.

6 Baltimore - Jake Long / OT / Michigan
Regardless of who winds up under center, he's going to need better protection to succeed. Long may have the ability to take over for aging great Jon Ogden. Until then, they're going to be a very nice set of bookends.

7 Kansas City - Jeff Otah / OT / Pittsburgh
No explanation needed here. Once the best the league had seen in a decade, the Chiefs' O-line is struggling. Otah needs some developing, but also has the natural talent to reward some team for their patience.

8 Oakland - Sedrick Ellis / DT / USC
This is really the only logical pick here. It also may prove to be an amazing value, as some feel Ellis is the best D-lineman in this class.

9 Cincinnati - Kenny Phillips / S / Miami
The Bengals can truly go in any direction here. Drafting Phillips here serves to not only upgrade their overall talent on defense, but also to help protect the investments they've made at corner the last couple years. Can't play good zone defense without a playmaker at safety.

10 Chicago - Ryan Clady / OT / Boise St
QB is a popular choice here. But with guys like Donovan McNabb, Chad Pennington, etc likely entering the FA market, Chicago can afford to go that route for a signal caller and use this pick to beef up a sagging O-line.

11 Arizona - Leodis McKelvin / CB / Troy
A speedy playmaker who can make an impact on both defense and STs. Stock should soar after the combine.

12 Denver - James Laurinaitis / LB / tOSU
For years, the hallmark of the Denver defense was their LBs. With D-line and safety value non-existent here, "Little Animal" makes a strong selection.

13 Carolina - Matt Ryan / QB / BC
Matt Moore has done an admirable job at QB of late. But not well enough to convince the Panther brass that he's the guy. Getting the top rated QB this late pretty much defines the word "value".

14 Detroit - Gosder Cherilus / OT / BC
The Lions have all the makings of an elite offense, except where it matters. This pick is the fist step towards rectifying that.

15 Philadelphia - Oniel Cousins / OT / U.T.E.P.
A late riser up draft boards, Cousins may be able to give the Iggles that franchise LT they've been looking for.

16 New Orleans - Mike Jenkins / CB / USF
Jason Craft? Jason David? The only question about this pick is which corner they like best. I think Jenkins is the clear answer there.

17 Buffalo - Malcolm Kelly / WR / Oklahoma
I didn't like the Jackson pick when I made it, so making a change here doesn't bruise my ego. Kelly is a much more logical compliment to Lee Evans.

18 Houston - Jonathan Stewart / RB / Oregon
The Teans OL could use an upgrade. But as most people understand, a strong running game can make the rest of your offense look a whole lot better. Stewart is a big-bodied back with the talent to enter the season as an early ORoY favorite.

19 Washington - Calais Campbell / DE / Miami
Andre Carter has had a superb season. But Phillip Daniels fails to impress. The Skins are another team with a lot of money tied up in their secondary. If Campbell can become more consistent, he can help make that secondary's job a lot easier, while also drawing attention away from Carter.

20 Tennessee - DeSean Jackson / WR / California
Not the big target a suspect passer like Young really needs. But he can be a dynamic receiver when VY is able to get him the ball.

21 Minnesota - Chris Williams / OT / Vanderbilt
The Vikings like their O-linemen big. Their offense is build around being more of a man than the guy in front of you. The right side of their line hasn't held up their end of the deal. Williams will get the chance to start right away.

22 Seattle - Felix Jones / RB / Arkansas
The long predicted demise of Shaun Alexander has finally arrived. Since allowing Steve Hutchinson to get away, the Seattle offense has morphed from a downhill, power running attack to an offense that begins and ends on the arm of Matt Hasselbeck. Felix Jones is the type of gamebreaking athlete who can take full advantage of the respect the Seahawks' passing game receives, while also bringing back some of the respect their play-action game has lost of late.

23 Dallas (from Cleveland) - Mario Manningham / WR / Michigan
I am personally not a fan of Mario Manningham. The guy screams "diva", and as such, he's almost certain to become a headache. But Jerry Jones doesn't seem to care about that, so long as you produce. With career drama queens Terrell Owens and Terry Glenn, the Cowboys have demonstrated the ability to get the most out of egomaniac wide outs. TO is still a horse. But Terry Glenn's durability is becoming an increasingly worrisome issue, while Patrick Crayton is a FA. Dallas would do well to retain Crayton's services. But planning for life after TO is still something they should consider, regardless of Crayton.

24 Pittsburgh - Aqib Talib / CB / Kansas
A physical DB who could shift over to FS. Had 4 receiving TDs on offense this year, so he has the hands for the interception no matter where you put him.

25 Tampa Bay - Brian Brohm / QB / Louisville
A nice fit for Gruden's "Gulf Coast Offense" and will have a season or two to learn behind the ageless Jeff Garcia.

26 New York Giants - Dan Connor / LB / Penn St
Is Coughlin a goner? If he is, what happens to Eli? Some may say QB here. I don't see it. Eli Manning isn't a bad QB. He is, however, in a bad situation. A new regime with a more QB friendly offense could be just what he needs. So, the G-men look to upgrade the defense. A corner would be great, but I think the value here is with Connor. With the smarts to play inside and the athleticism for the outside, the Giants have a lot of options as to how to best use this guy.

27 San Diego - Sam Baker / OL / USC
A value pick and local prospect. May bump inside to guard if he doesn't win the RT job in camp. A team with few needs, San Diego's O-line play has room for improvement.

28 Jacksonville - Limas Sweed / WR / Texas
This is a pick I find myself second guessing. Still, with Ernest Wilford likely leaving as a FA and Matt Jones not progressing, Sweed makes for a good pick if you don't believe that Dennis Northcutt can be a longterm answer.

29 Green Bay - Keith Rivers / OLB / USC
Value is a beautiful thing. Probably a better fit on the weak side already manned by A.J. Hawk, Rivers has the skill to unseat inconsistent Brady Poppinga.

30 San Francisco (from Indianapolis) - Quentin Groves / OLB / Auburn
Manny Lawson and Tully Banta-Cain don't apply the kind of pressure needed to make a 34 defense successful. Clearly, the offense is the greater concern. But the best value offensively is at QB, and I'm not convinced the 9ers are ready to admit their mistake in Alex Smith. The D-line also needs to be addressed, but there's depth there that doesn't exist at rush linebacker. A healthy Groves could go much, much higher, so Mike Nolan (Mike knocks on wood) gets his QB terrorizer.

31 Dallas - Antoine Cason / CB / Arizona
A playmaker. Needs to run better than expected to secure a 1st round grade. Probably a better fit for a Tampa-2 style defense. But Wade grabs a guy who can take advantage of the pressure his front 7 creates.

32 New England - No pick

33. Miami Dolphins Kentwan Balmer / DL / North Carolina
Some talented youth for an aging, and likely-to-be-blown-up D-line.

34. New York Jets Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie / CB / Tennessee St
Could have gone much higher. Almost had him go to Dallas. Instead, the Jets grab the small school star to further upgrade a weak defense.

35. Atlanta Falcons Andre' Woodson / QB / Kentucky
How about this for luck? Years ago, Atlanta made a trade that netted the Chargers LaDainian Tomlinson and Drew Brees. This year, the Falcons try their hand at that strategy with McFadden and Woodson.

36. St. Louis Rams Marcus Harrison / DT / Arkansas
Adam Carriker, Chris Long, and now, Marcus Harrison. Lots of D-line talent to play with in St. Louis now.

37. Baltimore Ravens Joe Flacco / QB / Delaware
Could end up being this year's Jay Cutler.

38. Kansas City Chiefs Tracy Porter / CB / Indiana
Law and Surtain are as old as they are talented. Porter gives them someone to groom for the very near future.

39. Oakland Raiders Red Bryant / DT / Texas A&M
Anyone who's seen the Raiders play defense understands the reasoning behind taking DTs in the first two rounds. Sapp is all but done. Terdell Sands has been a bust since getting his new contract. Gerrard Warren and Tommy Kelly flash ability, but neither can be counted on as a starter. Pairing this plugger next to the penetrator Ellis not only solidifies the interior defensive line, but also frees up the Raiders' athletic LBs and undersized DEs to make plays.

40. San Francisco 49ers DeMario Pressley / DL / NC St
Bryant Young's long and outstanding career appears to be over. The 9ers ask Pressley to fill his extremely large shoes.

41. Chicago Bears Adarius Bowman / WR / Oklahoma St
Berrian is gone and Moose is aging quickly. A healthy Bowman gives their QB (McNabb?) a big target to look for.

42. Cincinnati Bengals Lawrence Jackson / DE / USC
After passing on D-line help earlier, the Bengals land a DE who may remind some of Justin Smith.

43. Denver Broncos Harry Douglas / WR / Louisville
Brandon Marshall's coming out party has been soured by stories of demands to be released. Even if Shanahan settles him down, there's a void opposite him. Douglas may be the verticle threat that Ashley Lelie was supposed to be.

44. Carolina Panthers Derrick Harvey / DE / Florida
The Panthers' defense doesn't get the pressure from the blind side that they once did. Charles Johnson hasn't looked like the answer, so they give Harvey the nod.

45. Detroit Lions Chris Ellis / DE / Virginia Tech
Like the Panthers, the Lions need more pressure from their front 4. Ellis should be an immediate upgrade over James Hall.

46. Philadelphia Eagles Ali Highsmith / OLB / LSU
A speedy, aggressive LB for Jim Johnson's attacking defense.

47. Arizona Cardinals Roy Schuening / OG / Oregon St
Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm know where their bread is buttered. More beef for the offensive line makes the other 6 guys on the field that much better.

48. Buffalo Bills Trae Williams / CB / USF
With Mike Jenkins on the other side of the field, Williams gets a lot of opportunities to make plays. More often than not, he answers the call.

49. Atlanta Falcons (from HOU) Early Doucet / WR / LSU
Roddy White is starting to come around. Michael Jenkins is not. Doucet hasn't produced like most expected, but he has the talent to do the job. McFadden, Woodson, Doucet. When the Falcons defense comes back healthy and ready to play, they won't even recognize the offense they're coming back to. That's a good thing.

50. Washington Redskins Craig Steltz / S / LSU
Steltz is a good player, and I sincerely hate to put him in this position. But the reality remains that Washington needs someone to pair with Landry in the deep patrol.

51. New Orleans Saints John Carlson / TE / Notre Dame
Eric Johnson is a nice stop-gap player, but Brees needs a TE he can count on.

52. Minnesota Vikings Charles Godfrey / CB / Iowa
Minnesota has an elite tandem of DTs. Their LBs are top shelf. If you want to beat the Vikings, you have to throw the ball. Unfortunately, that's even easier done than said. Adding a cover corner here should help.

53. Tennessee Titans Dre Moore / DT / Maryland
The Titans' defense with Albert Haynesworth is stout. Without him, they're unremarkable, and that's putting it nicely. Will he be back next year? Can that big body give them 16 games a year if he does re-sign? Either way, Dre Moore's inexplicable slide stops right here.

54. Cleveland Browns Shawn Crable / OLB / Michigan
Kamerion Wimbley was a terrific fit for Romeo Crennel's 34 defense. Now, he gets a tag team partner for the other side. In what most consider a disappointing season, Crable managed an unbelievable 26.5 TFL to go along with his 7.5 sacks. He looks custom made for the Brown's defense.

55. Pittsburgh Steelers - Carl Nicks / OT / Nebraska
The Steelers' offense is about running downhill and striking deep. Both will be made easier with an upgrade to the offensive line.

56. Tampa Bay Buccaneers Andre Caldwell / WR / Florida
Galloway and Hilliard continue to defy Father Time, but even Jerry Rice woke up old one day. Gruden prefers veteran FAs for his offense, as they tend to be much quicker studies. But adding Caldwell here gives him someone to groom with Brohm with an eye towards the near future. Both should spend the better part of their rookie seasons working with the second team, which should allow them to develop great chemistry heading into 2009.

57. New York Giants Patrick Lee / CB / Auburn
A cover man to compliment their outstanding pass rush.

58. Miami Dolphins (from SD) Beau Bell / LB / UNLV
Parcells is going to get his 34 defense up and running before doing anything else, even if he's not coaching the team himself. Bell is a terrific all around LB who could play outside opposite Gholston or inside next to Crowder.

59. Seattle Seahawks Barry Richardson / OT/ Clemson
Sean Locklear is a FA and may decide to test the market.

60. Jacksonville Jaguars Thomas DeCoud / S / California
Sammy Knight is a short term solution. DeCoud could be the long term answer.

61. Indianapolis Colts Eric Young / OL / Tennessee
Pass protection in Indi is slipping lately. Some youth and versatility for the OL is always a good addition.

62. Dallas Cowboys Chris Johnson / RB-WR / ECU
With Julius Jones on his way out, Dallas needs someone to pair with Marion "The Barbarian". Johnson may be an even better fit at WR, so he'll provide Jason Garrett with a great new toy to play with in a lot of different ways.

63. Green Bay Packers Terrell Thomas / CB / USC
The need for youth and depth at corner is widely discussed. This pick should help.

64. New England Patriots Philip Wheeler / LB / Georgia tech
Another regular topic of discussion is the age of New England's LBs. Wheeler is a terrific athlete and playmaker who could step in right away at ILB if needed.

art vandelay
12-24-2007, 11:04 AM
LOL Desean Jackson for the Bills? It might have been a possibility if Fairchild was still here but with him leaving there is basically no chance. We need a big red zone threat.

doingthisinsteadofwork
12-24-2007, 11:06 AM
I think we both know we disagree about Kelly, Uzi but with how pathetic our Run D is I like the picks.

Babylon
12-24-2007, 11:20 AM
1. Venron Gholston is a great player but to me is about 10 spots too high.

2. Not a big Gosder Cherilus fan, pretty good footwork but really not a strong player and not much leg drive.

3. Know little of the OT Cousins but guess that is a stab in the dark, we'll see.

4. Do like the QBs, Ryan to Carolina and Brohm to the Bucs, i think that is unlikely they both drop a bit but would be a good fit for them and those teams.

5. Actually like the move of Kelley to Dallas.

6. Some of the second rounders i think you have too low.
Chris Ellis
John Carlson
Terrell Thomas

BaLLiN
12-24-2007, 11:35 AM
Giants picks are horrible

Vikes99ej
12-24-2007, 11:36 AM
Don't know much about Chris Williams. I don't like the second round pick. We are set at CB for at least the next two years.

diabsoule
12-24-2007, 11:44 AM
Good effort in the mock but I have to disagree with the Saints choices.

I have every reason to believe that we will go after a CB in FA. I would much rather us go LB in round one. Someone like Little Animal or Dan Conner would make my day. We need an immediate playmaker on D and either one of those fills that hole.

In the second round, you give a very valid reason for drafting Carlson, however, Billy Miller has been stepping his game up as of late and TE is not that big of an option in a Sean Payton offense. We need to go DT with this pick because we have extremely old talent along our D-Line. Frank Okam or Dre Moore would help out tremendously. I wouldn't mind going CB if DT value is not there.

JT Jag
12-24-2007, 11:46 AM
I would bet money on us not taking Limas Sweed... even if he was there in the second round.

iloxygenil
12-24-2007, 12:29 PM
I like the Falcons draft, except we don't need another WR, although I really do like Early. With Robinson as our #2 (not Jenkins) I think we don't need to draft another skill position that high, we need to solidify the lines.

gsorace
12-24-2007, 12:45 PM
Worst Jets mock I've ever seen.

A DT who doesn't fit our system at all, and Rodgers-Cromartie is a reach there, and corner isn't as much of a need as a NT or o-line.

Bills2083
12-24-2007, 12:45 PM
Give Buffalo Malcolm Kelly in the 1st. We need a red-zone target. Like art vandelay said, if Fairchild was still here, we would probably take him.

In the 2nd, I'd rather take Charles Godfrey

fenikz
12-24-2007, 12:46 PM
Good Overall Mock, just not a good one for the Cardinals

McKelvin is a early 2nd pick at best IMO not a top 15 talent by any means, and the Cardinals already have Deuce Latui & Reggie Wells at guard two young quality guys who Grimm is molding.

I would give us Campbell with the 1st, the man is a freak and come combine time he will shoot up the board, plus Berry will more than likely be cut and Okeafor is very injury prone, he could play DE in our 4-3 and 3-4 as we only use it in passing downs.

In the 2nd I would then go CB Trae Williams would be a good fit.

Don Vito
12-24-2007, 01:20 PM
I like Malcolm Jenkins to the Pats with Gholston gone. Gholston is the #1 guy imo for the Pats, he is the best fit for our scheme as a DE/LB in this class. If he is gone, DB makes a lot of sense and Jenkins is the best guy in this class.

As far as the Wheeler pick, it is a good position pick, but I don't really see him fitting in our defense. If a quick, pass rushing DE who could play LB in the NFL were available (Tommy Blake, Cliff Avril, Chris Ellis) that would be a good pick. Good job on the mock overall.

Turtlepower
12-24-2007, 01:26 PM

I disagree. If Connor can play WLB as many people believe he can, then he is great value at where we are. As far as Patrick Lee goes, he is sort of the unsung hero of Auburn's defense. I like him, but I just want to see him run faster than his reported time speeds.

I also like your analysis of the Giants. It is pretty spot on that most of the problems revolving around Eli Manning is due to the run friendly offense that makes it that much harder to pass in. Plus we don't have a good pass-blocking o-line.

Yung Flippa
12-24-2007, 02:00 PM
Very surprised by the Raven's 1st Round pick. I think that Jared Gaither is the future at that position, so I woul much rather have James Laurinaitis to be Ray Lewis's replacement.
The Ravens 2nd Round pick is different, I'm sort of split that pick

skinzzfan25
12-24-2007, 02:00 PM
I seriously think Doughty can hold up in the secondary. Landry has moved to FS and can cover a lot of ground. He's a perfect center fielder. Doughty has done well in run support and hasn't gotten toasted yet, so it's his job to loose.

I like the first round pick, but I'd go with Moore or Caldwell in the second.

(nice mock name btw lol)

thebow305
12-24-2007, 02:35 PM
Great Miami draft, almost perfect, I would rather have Terrell Thomas instead of Bell there, but if we were to get a corner in the 3rd it would be fine, we just need a shut down corner really bad!

king2am
12-24-2007, 02:55 PM
The niners pick is a good one, but i believe your explanation is only half right.

Manny Lawson has been out with a season ending injury, so to critique his play in a 3-4 scheme and say he can not get it done is unfair.

However your assesment was correct on TBC, which is where groves fits in nicely.

Pressley in the second really helps out that D.

Good Niners mock.

scar988
12-24-2007, 02:56 PM
4 Atlanta - Darren McFadden / RB / Arkansas
QB? OL? Yes, and yes. Value? Talent? Game changing ability? Darren McFadden
\good pick

35. Atlanta Falcons Andre' Woodson / QB / Kentucky
How about this for luck? Years ago, Atlanta made a trade that netted the Chargers LaDainian Tomlinson and Drew Brees. This year, the Falcons try their hand at that strategy with McFadden and Woodson.
good pick

49. Atlanta Falcons (from HOU) Early Doucet / WR / LSU
Roddy White is starting to come around. Michael Jenkins is not. Doucet hasn't produced like most expected, but he has the talent to do the job. McFadden, Woodson, Doucet. When the Falcons defense comes back healthy and ready to play, they won't even recognize the offense they're coming back to. That's a good thing.
HORRIBLE PICK! WE HAVE ZERO NEED FOR A DAMN WR!!! Laurent Robinson is going to be a great compliment to Roddy White as our #2, Jenkins is our #3. nice try but this is a horrible pick. The Falcons will not waste a pick on a WR since it ISNT A NEED. We have actual needs like OT (HUGE NEED) and NT, and MLB you aren't addressing. we would get OT Barry Richardson here to be our LT.

scar988
12-24-2007, 02:59 PM
I like the Falcons draft, except we don't need another WR, although I really do like Early. With Robinson as our #2 (not Jenkins) I think we don't need to draft another skill position that high, we need to solidify the lines.
exactly. our WR's are like this:
#1 - Roddy
#2 - Robinson
#3 - Jenkins (as a #3 he is very good)
#4 - Horn (he's Joe Horn and he's our #4. nuff sed)
#5 - Jennings (only guy worth replacing but you don't waste a 2nd replacing a #5 WR/KR/PR)

NIN1984
12-24-2007, 03:21 PM
Dude you nailed the Raiders draft, good stuff A+

BeerBaron
12-24-2007, 03:34 PM
i would cry if the bears sign mcnabb.....

id take another year of grossman before id take that

tackles good in round 1, i agree there.
WR is a need but depth of defense is even bigger, so id look there in round 2

DaBear89
12-24-2007, 04:31 PM
i'ld love clady there. i'm a fan of bowman and as a person who thinks the bears will franchise berrian and cut moose the 6-4 Bowman would be nice, along with a more polished hester for the slot.

scottyboy
12-24-2007, 04:39 PM

are you on crack?

I'd much prefer Cason in the 1st, but Connor is perfectly fine. I love the 2nd round kid who i feel is a pretty big sleeper this year, playing well in a tough conference. I'd be fine with this draft, but a personal preference would upset me passing on Cason. but good job

Chucky
12-24-2007, 04:48 PM
I love the Bucs picks. Brohm and Caldwell, would be great for the future of the offence

KCJ58
12-24-2007, 04:53 PM
i don't think we spend back 2 back picks on the D-Line, we need OL help

Don Killuminati
12-24-2007, 06:19 PM
The OL needs help. The DL needs to be completely replaced. So...ya know.

Flipped a few of the WRs around for better team fits.

scar988
12-24-2007, 06:57 PM
Flipped a few of the WRs around for better team fits.

how about not givign ATL one since WE DONT NEED ONE!

BeerBaron
12-24-2007, 06:57 PM

im gonna laugh on draft day when the falcons go QB 1 and WR/CB 2

Don Killuminati
12-24-2007, 07:02 PM
I just like seeing scar go off. Makes this stuff all worthwhile.

ATLDirtyBirds
12-24-2007, 07:19 PM
I was about ready to have your children until I saw our 3rd pick. Change that to Dre Moore.

scar988
12-24-2007, 07:25 PM
im gonna laugh on draft day when the falcons go QB 1 and WR/CB 2if we got QB 1 it's cause we traded down or someone really impressed around combine time. but right now no QB is lookign worth the pick at all. ALSO we won
t go WR until the 2nd day at the earliest because we don't even need one. you don't draft what you don't need.

I'm gonna laugh when I'm right and you have to eat crow.

Caddy
12-24-2007, 10:04 PM
Brohm and Caldwell are reasonable picks. Brohm presents good value and has the potential to fulfill what Tampa's system requires of him and Caldwell has speed to burn which is a requisite for the WR Tampa needs.

The Legend
12-24-2007, 11:23 PM
i like it.

TitanHope
12-25-2007, 01:06 AM
DeSean Jackson in the 1st is a great pick. We need a WR who can produce YAC, and a suitable KR/PR.

Dre Moore in ths second is great too, and a great value. Haynesworth is a beast, but he is injury prone and usually gets taken out of the game at one point or another. We don't have anyone who can take his place when he's out, and Moore looks like he can fill that void.

Great Titans mock!

Cashmoney
12-25-2007, 01:14 AM
hopefully dre moore wouldnt go the route of another former terp randy starks...

Bar-bq
12-25-2007, 03:49 AM
2 St. Louis - Chris Long / DE / Virginia
When 2008 rolls around, the Rams O-line should be healthy and clicking again. Offensively, injuries are their only major concern. Defensively, however, the same cannot be said. Jim Haslett's defense needs help on all 3 levels. Taking Long here is a huge step in the right direction, not only for what he does getting after the QB. But with the way he plays the run as well. Glenn Dorsey gets a long look, but in the end, Chris Long just makes too much sense.

36. St. Louis Rams Marcus Harrison / DT / Arkansas
Adam Carriker, Chris Long, and now, Marcus Harrison. Lots of D-line talent to play with in St. Louis now.

The first pick is spot on. The explanation from the first pick is not all that, though; Haslett's defense needs help up front. Having a decent push up front makes all three levels better. The linebacking core is great when healthy with Chillar, Witherspoon and the oft-injured but relentless Tinoisamoa. The secondary has some emerging playmakers. Tye Hill was very solid as a 2nd year starter until landing on IR, Oshimogho Atogwe is developing into our FS for years to come, Fakhir Brown is seasoned and has three years left, and Bartell and Wade provide great young depth in the nickel and dime packages. An upgrade would be nice at SS, currently manned by the ageing C.Chavous, but I can't see it as a bona fide priority at this point in time. It's probably third on my list.

Upfront, Little will return, Will Witherspoon has been playing the Rush End on passing downs, Adam Carriker is the residing UT, and rookie Clifton Ryan has been fantastic on the nose. It's for this reason that your second pick is a little skew-whiff. One star along the DL is more than enough to turn this average defense into a very respectable one. The fact that we're 27th in points allowed is more due to our offense, which has bought into this "3 and out" fad, and our horrendous special teams coverage which has given opposing teams great field posititon, and made it hard for our tired D to get off the field. I.e In the Packers game, Green Bay began six drives in Ram territory.

In round 2, OL depth has to be the go, as Orlando Pace has started, I think 9 games since the 2005 season. Our line has been in disarray this season with more than 15 different combinations since game one, and is a major contributor to our offensive woe.

LonghornsLegend
12-25-2007, 04:25 AM
Why would the Titans draft a projected 3-4 NT in the 2nd rd??

Don Killuminati
12-25-2007, 06:43 AM
Because their defense falls apart when Haynesworth is out of the lineup?

KCJ58
12-25-2007, 03:28 PM
The first pick is spot on. The explanation from the first pick is not all that, though; Haslett's defense needs help up front. Having a decent push up front makes all three levels better. The linebacking core is great when healthy with Chillar, Witherspoon and the oft-injured but relentless Tinoisamoa. The secondary has some emerging playmakers. Tye Hill was very solid as a 2nd year starter until landing on IR, Oshimogho Atogwe is developing into our FS for years to come, Fakhir Brown is seasoned and has three years left, and Bartell and Wade provide great young depth in the nickel and dime packages. An upgrade would be nice at SS, currently manned by the ageing C.Chavous, but I can't see it as a bona fide priority at this point in time. It's probably third on my list.

Upfront, Little will return, Will Witherspoon has been playing the Rush End on passing downs, Adam Carriker is the residing UT, and rookie Clifton Ryan has been fantastic on the nose. It's for this reason that your second pick is a little skew-whiff. One star along the DL is more than enough to turn this average defense into a very respectable one. The fact that we're 27th in points allowed is more due to our offense, which has bought into this "3 and out" fad, and our horrendous special teams coverage which has given opposing teams great field posititon, and made it hard for our tired D to get off the field. I.e In the Packers game, Green Bay began six drives in Ram territory.

In round 2, OL depth has to be the go, as Orlando Pace has started, I think 9 games since the 2005 season. Our line has been in disarray this season with more than 15 different combinations since game one, and is a major contributor to our offensive woe.

OMG another Rams fan!!!

princefielder28
12-25-2007, 06:11 PM
From a value stand point I can't complain with the Packers mock; I'm not the biggest fan of Thomas, but it does address our need at CB

Bar-bq
12-25-2007, 06:44 PM
OMG another Rams fan!!!

Dear God! I though the rest of you were all in Acupoco hiding from what has been the worst season since '98.

Now tell me, are you a Chris Long man, or a Jake Long man at this stage?

KCJ58
12-25-2007, 06:46 PM
Dear God! I though the rest of you were all in Acupoco hiding from what has been the worst season since '98.

Now tell me, are you a Chris Long man, or a Jake Long man at this stage?

Long and Long it's tough to choose between the two, it's gonna come down to what we do in FA but right now im a Jake Long guy

NIN1984
12-26-2007, 10:55 PM
Oh I didn't know that was Uzi, that's why the Raiders draft was so good

DiG
12-27-2007, 11:28 AM
steltz in rd 2 is just awful. unless theres a safety available that is unreal value we arent taking one before rd 4 if that. we have bigger needs.

Don Killuminati
12-29-2007, 05:21 PM
Oh I didn't know that was Uzi, that's why the Raiders draft was so good

Ha!

I guess we can start the countdown to when I get banned again now. ;)

BamaFalcon59
12-29-2007, 06:03 PM
Good picks for the Falcons except the WR pick. We need a 4th/5th WR but that can wait. And if you do get a WR for us first 4 rounds we need him to double as a kick and punt return man.

BamaFalcon59
12-29-2007, 06:06 PM

I think we need depth (Joe Horn is old, Adam Jennings is Michael Jenkins won't be resigned next year), but it can wait and if one is selected somewhat early (3rd/4th) it needs to be a KR/ PR as well such as Dorian Bryant or Eddie Royal