PDA

View Full Version : Kick Returners/Punt Returners

adschofield
12-24-2007, 08:17 PM
Yeah, sure, we all now about DeSean Jackson, but who are some other guys who project to be kick returners at the next level? What kind of running style do they have?

Thanks in advance.

schmiddog
12-24-2007, 09:47 PM
Felix Jones may well turn out to be the most successful returner in this class, provided he declares.....excellent speed and change of direction....but most importantly-ridiculous field vision.

Hines
12-24-2007, 09:54 PM
Eddie Royal will be a beast and will be a Pro Bowl KR\PR for a long time.

Rich Jr
12-24-2007, 10:50 PM
I haven't seen Royal but one game and LSU made him look like a true freshman and LSU's ST's aren't good at all..

Hines
12-24-2007, 10:54 PM
If I remember correctly, Royal returned three punts to the house last year. I think he returned one this year too.

Bosanac01
12-24-2007, 11:22 PM
Here are some pretty good Senior WR

Dorien Bryant , Purdue
Darius Reynaud , West Virginia
Mikey Henderson , Georgia

Hines
12-24-2007, 11:22 PM
Dont forget Tracy Porter from Indiana and Rudy Burgess from ASU.

Bosanac01
12-24-2007, 11:24 PM
Ok I could defenitly add more those were off top of my head.

Hines
12-24-2007, 11:28 PM
Chris Johnson from East Carolina
Anthony Aldridge from Houston

SuperKevin
12-24-2007, 11:28 PM
i'm sure there's some D1-AA guys and D2 guys who are going to be drafted as KR. There always are

Bosanac01
12-24-2007, 11:32 PM
Here are some pretty good Senior returners

Lets make it with videos this time

Dorien Bryant , Purdue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl1rDD96_Z4

Darius Reynaud , West Virginia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt3Bq-0P70I

Mikey Henderson , Georgia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFGNMKsfyGM

Tracy Porter, Indiana
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70M-NauAoC8

Bosanac01
12-24-2007, 11:40 PM
One of the best punt returns I've ever seen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF6S0-A2UHg
yes its agains a bad team.

bored of education
12-25-2007, 12:01 AM
Reynaud is such a beast. i like him as a number 2/3 type receiver and solid returner

Caddy
12-25-2007, 12:15 AM
One of the best punt returns I've ever seen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF6S0-A2UHg
yes its agains a bad team.

It would help if this was about a current draft prospect.

Bosanac01
12-25-2007, 12:35 AM
It would help if this was about a current draft prospect.

I beleive i posted some current draft prospects. When someone mentions returnman today Hester pops up a lot. Just like Donte Hall did.

oregonbucfan
12-25-2007, 02:01 AM
Jonathan Stewart when he did it 2 years ago led the countries in KR yards

jbeans187
12-25-2007, 03:03 AM
Chris Johnson from East Carolina
Anthony Aldridge from Houston

Johnson's stock rose after the Hawaii Bowl

NYGibril28
12-25-2007, 07:44 AM
no love for Leodis McKelvin yet?

Matthew Jones
12-25-2007, 07:51 AM
Tom Zbikowski is the first guy I thought of. Also, a sleeper pick is Jamie Silva. I watched a play this year, I believe against Miami, where he waved off the ball, let Miami's players huddle around it waiting for it to stop rolling, and then run in, pick up the ball when no one was suspecting it, and take it a few more yards.

Hines
12-25-2007, 08:36 AM
no love for Leodis McKelvin yet?

I was thinking him actually. He was going to be my other post in this.

SuperKevin
12-25-2007, 08:58 AM
CB Brian Witherspoon of Stillman runs as low as a reported 4.19. If that's not KR speed then I don't know what is

Smokey Joe
12-25-2007, 09:33 AM
Chris Johnson is the best...

Staubach12
12-25-2007, 09:41 AM
Tom Zbikowski is the first guy I thought of.

I'm not sure if Zibby has what it takes to be a good returner on the next level. His vision is good, no one can deny that. He uses his blockers very well, and he accelerates quick. However, I'm just not sure if his top gear will be enough to please a coaching staff or break one wide open. I could be wrong, and I'm not saying he's going to be terrible, but I'm just not sure if his success will translate.

jbeans187
12-25-2007, 01:52 PM
Tom Zbikowski is the first guy I thought of. Also, a sleeper pick is Jamie Silva. I watched a play this year, I believe against Miami, where he waved off the ball, let Miami's players huddle around it waiting for it to stop rolling, and then run in, pick up the ball when no one was suspecting it, and take it a few more yards.

No way Silva is an NFL return man. He doesnt have moves or break away speed to be a home run threat. When NFL teams look for a KR/PR they look for home run threats. Hester, Steve Smith was drafted as a return man, Parrish, Cribbs, Leon Washington are some good return men, Silva just doesnt fit that mold. I thought one game they said he was back there bc he had the best hands on the team and they where having problems fielding punts in preseason, so he got the job...let me know if anyone else heard this.

Bosanac01
12-25-2007, 04:00 PM
CB Brian Witherspoon of Stillman runs as low as a reported 4.19. If that's not KR speed then I don't know what is

Speed is not the most important thing. I returned kicks before its all about reading your blocks and finding the holes.

SuperKevin
12-25-2007, 04:16 PM
Speed is not the most important thing. I returned kicks before its all about reading your blocks and finding the holes.

Well he's supposedly a pretty good return man at the d2 level too

Bosanac01
12-25-2007, 04:27 PM
Well he's supposedly a pretty good return man at the d2 level too

Never said he wasnt.

oldLibid21
12-25-2007, 04:27 PM
Dexter Jackson from Appalachian State is pretty good... or Rudy Burgess. And Tyvon Branch from UConn is pretty solid, but take it as you wish for I am a UConn fan. :D

psychosid
12-27-2007, 01:21 PM
Zbikowksi has great speed, he should run a low 4.4, thats just as fast as hester, but obviously he is not as quick, but the top gear is there

marks01234
12-27-2007, 03:39 PM
Three guys who think could make it soley as KR's (ie Yamon Figures) are Eddie Royal of VT, Dorien Bryant of Purdue and Darrell Blackman of NC State. Bryant has the best speed of the three.

ATLDirtyBirds
12-27-2007, 03:48 PM
Chris Johnson is the best...

I'm a big Chris Johnson fan myself.

jbeans187
12-27-2007, 06:13 PM
Zbikowksi has great speed, he should run a low 4.4, thats just as fast as hester, but obviously he is not as quick, but the top gear is there

I dont want to sound like a d*** but no way tommy z is as fast as hester, NO WAY...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TscSztwURKE

psychosid
12-27-2007, 08:39 PM
Dude, wait till combine time, thats all i have to say, zibby is a blazer in terms of straight line speed. A low 4.4 time is what he will most likely run, if not a high 4.3 time.

12-27-2007, 08:47 PM
Three guys who think could make it soley as KR's (ie Yamon Figures) are Eddie Royal of VT, Dorien Bryant of Purdue and Darrell Blackman of NC State. Bryant has the best speed of the three.

Ive always viewed Dorien Bryant as a better receiver than returner..

SuperKevin
12-27-2007, 08:49 PM

Last Night he definatly didn't look like it. He was directly responsible for 2 INTs when he failed to catch passes over the middle

12-27-2007, 08:51 PM
Last Night he definatly didn't look like it. He was directly responsible for 2 INTs when he failed to catch passes over the middle

Over the course of his career though hes been a very productive receiver. I think we will get a better grasp of his value in the league after the combine.

bored of education
12-27-2007, 08:54 PM
LOl@ Tommy Z running a 4.4 maybe high 4.3 40 LOL

ill say mid 4.5 liker 4.54-4.59

psychosid
12-27-2007, 09:29 PM
hey board of ed, lets make a lil side wager, i will bet you he runs a....hmmmm 4.45, you guess his time, and we will see who is right ;)

ATLDirtyBirds
12-27-2007, 09:39 PM

Never put Zbikowski and Hester in the same sentence when it comes to speed. Ever.

BigJohn98
12-27-2007, 09:40 PM

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Get a clue, dude.

psychosid
12-27-2007, 10:01 PM
ya ok unlike you "scouts" i actually know what im talking about, lets just wait till combine time, id love to see the look on ur faces when you both drop your jaw at zibby's 4.38 fourty ;)

SuperKevin
12-27-2007, 10:03 PM
ya ok unlike you "scouts" i actually know what im talking about, lets just wait till combine time, id love to see the look on ur faces when you both drop your jaw at zibby's 4.38 fourty ;)

Even if he does run a time like that he lacks the shiftiness needed to be a quality return man at the next level. The reason why Hester is so good is his ability to change directions at full speed.

psychosid
12-27-2007, 10:18 PM
First of all, he can be a great returner at the next level, there is only one devin hester, and just because zibby is not as good as hester is, does not mean he will not be a great returner. Second of all, in my original post, i said that zibby is not as quick as hester, but JUST as fast in terms of straight line speed.

regoob2
12-27-2007, 10:23 PM
First of all, he can be a great returner at the next level, there is only one devin hester, and just because zibby is not as good as hester is, does not mean he will not be a great returner. Second of all, in my original post, i said that zibby is not as quick as hester, but JUST as fast in terms of straight line speed.

There is no doubt that Hester is not blazing in a straight line. But how can you compare Zbikowski to Hester? Why do you only care about white players?

psychosid
12-27-2007, 10:35 PM
well first off, just for the sake of arguement, who is to say for sure that zibby will not be just as good as hester?? We dont know anything yet, now do i believe that he will be as explosive and effective as hester, i HIGHLY doubt it. But I do belive that he can be a top 10 punt returner. Now as for your second question, it seems to me that white players dont get the same oppertunities as black players when it comes to the skill positions and i think its a double standard to be calling for more black head coaches & QB'S while ignorning the lack of white tailback's , cornerback's etc, just my 2 cents worth

jbeans187
12-27-2007, 10:37 PM

If hester and tommy z raced who would win???

I think its obvious...hester. I agree tommy z might be somewhat of a workout warrior at the combine but he is still overrated. If hes so fast why cant he cover anyone, hes a poor mans Archuleta that is overrated bc he went to ND

amag
12-27-2007, 10:41 PM
na dude, i think tommy will run a 4.45, theres no doubt hes got some wheels, but hester is light years ahead of him and i dont really see tommy as a pr in the nfl, yeah hes had some nice returns in college, but hey so did charles woodson and hes never returned one in the nfl, i do think tommy would be a great fit for a cover 2 team though, if he gets drafted by a team with the right system i really think he will be a stud.

dabears10
12-27-2007, 10:55 PM
I could see Zibby running a 4.45-4.52 with my prediction being 4.49.

He can't cover people because he has terrible instincts and plays out of position. Speed doesn't mean anything if your going the wrong way.

He won't ever be an explosive returner, but he quite possibly can be a guy who will give you about 8-9 yards a return. I think it helps his stock but should never be drafted simply because of his return ability.

My prediction is that he will become a ST ace. round 5-7.

amag
12-27-2007, 10:56 PM
i think he will be drafted in round 3 by a team who will use him properly.

marks01234
12-27-2007, 10:58 PM

I don't think Bryant has the size, acceleration or natural route running ability to get open in the NFL. I think he could be valueable in limited action in the slot and on screens but I think he will get eaten alive by NFL DB's.

Heck of a college player though even though he went out on a low note.

psychosid
12-27-2007, 11:00 PM
well at worst he will be a matt giordano (the guy who nearly CAUGHT hester from behind at the superbowl) Top back-up and ST demon. But at best, i could see him being the next troy palamalu, so in the second round, he might be worth the risk.

marks01234
12-27-2007, 11:02 PM
well first off, just for the sake of arguement, who is to say for sure that zibby will not be just as good as hester?? We dont know anything yet, now do i believe that he will be as explosive and effective as hester, i HIGHLY doubt it. But I do belive that he can be a top 10 punt returner. Now as for your second question, it seems to me that white players dont get the same oppertunities as black players when it comes to the skill positions and i think its a double standard to be calling for more black head coaches & QB'S while ignorning the lack of white tailback's , cornerback's etc, just my 2 cents worth

There is one physical characteristic keeping white players from being tailbacks, wide recievers and cornerbacks - Speed. I don't know why but the majority of white athletes are just not as fast as there black peers. Look at the 100 meters at the Olympics. When the last time the US has been represented by a white man? When the last time England has had anybody qualify beyond the first round?

There is no physical characteristic keeping black people from being QBs and Head Coaches.

That being said, as a white man, I don't buy the bias regarding black QB's. Plenty of them bombed out on their own and should look no further than the mirror.

jbeans187
12-27-2007, 11:02 PM
I love giordino, but hester had slowed up, if you remember he was checking himself out on the video board while giordino was giving it his all

psychosid
12-28-2007, 07:49 AM
There is one physical characteristic keeping white players from being tailbacks, wide recievers and cornerbacks - Speed. I don't know why but the majority of white athletes are just not as fast as there black peers. Look at the 100 meters at the Olympics. When the last time the US has been represented by a white man? When the last time England has had anybody qualify beyond the first round?

There is no physical characteristic keeping black people from being QBs and Head Coaches.

That being said, as a white man, I don't buy the bias regarding black QB's. Plenty of them bombed out on their own and should look no further than the mirror.

OK, first off all, speed is speed, a low 4.4. time is a low 4.4 time weather you are black or white agreed? Great, now that we have that out of the way, lets deal with FACTS. Tom Zibowski ran a 10.4 hundred meters in HIGH SCHOOL, Devin Hester ran a 10.6 in COLLEGE. So, last time I checked, a 10.4 time beats a 10.6 time. Sooooo it is not "my opinion" that Zibowski, was, at least in High School, faster then Hester. Now, maybe Zibby ran that time and weighed 175lbs, that info i dont have, but i think its a fair assumption to think the guy didnt get SLOWER when he hit college, agreed? Now, I am not saying Zibby will be a better returner in the pro's, all i am saying is that this "lack of speed" stigma that affects zibby, is based on racial stereotypes, and not actual facts. Is he as quick as hester, no, as elusive, no, but is he faster in a straight line.....YES. So my point here is, yes we ALLL know that black athlete's are on average, faster and more athletic then your AVERAGE white player, BUTTTT its not true in every case, its not true is zibby's case, not true in J. Nelson's case, etc, but this PERCEPTION is hurting both of their draft stock, and thats just not right, thats all im saying.

cardsalltheway
12-28-2007, 08:10 AM
Over the course of his career though hes been a very productive receiver. I think we will get a better grasp of his value in the league after the combine.

A lot of that production has to do with his system though. As his catches have gone up, his YPC has gone down, dropping to about 10 this season. The way Purdue utilizes him most of the time is exactly how he should be utilized, like a Wes Welker type.

marks01234
12-28-2007, 08:12 AM
OK, first off all, speed is speed, a low 4.4. time is a low 4.4 time weather you are black or white agreed? Great, now that we have that out of the way, lets deal with FACTS. Tom Zibowski ran a 10.4 hundred meters in HIGH SCHOOL, Devin Hester ran a 10.6 in COLLEGE. So, last time I checked, a 10.4 time beats a 10.6 time. Sooooo it is not "my opinion" that Zibowski, was, at least in High School, faster then Hester. Now, maybe Zibby ran that time and weighed 175lbs, that info i dont have, but i think its a fair assumption to think the guy didnt get SLOWER when he hit college, agreed? Now, I am not saying Zibby will be a better returner in the pro's, all i am saying is that this "lack of speed" stigma that affects zibby, is based on racial stereotypes, and not actual facts. Is he as quick as hester, no, as elusive, no, but is he faster in a straight line.....YES. So my point here is, yes we ALLL know that black athlete's are on average, faster and more athletic then your AVERAGE white player, BUTTTT its not true in every case, its not true is zibby's case, not true in J. Nelson's case, etc, but this PERCEPTION is hurting both of their draft stock, and thats just not right, thats all im saying.

Sorry, you can't take HS track times (with about thousand different timing methods) more serious than just saying somebody is fast. Your man will get his chance to run at the combine and at that point we can start to talk about as a return man.

And sorry, it has nothing to do with him being white either. There aren't any other safety's in D-1 football who are being considered as an NFL return man.

etk
12-28-2007, 10:52 AM
And sorry, it has nothing to do with him being white either. There aren't any other safety's in D-1 football who are being considered as an NFL return man.

Derek Pegues will be one in the future. Chad Jones could be another.

I don't think Zibby will be much of a threat as a returner, but some teams like guys like that who they can rely on to catch the ball and pick up decent return yardage. The Bucs have had guys like Ike Hilliard return punts. If we're talking white safety punt returners, I think Silva is better than Zibby.

P-L
12-28-2007, 12:05 PM
Some team will draft Appalachian State's Dexter Jackson and give him a chance to return kicks.

Getusome
12-28-2007, 01:39 PM
Dexter is good but Craig Turner, Southern Illinois CB/KR/PR is better. Craig is one of the top Sr. Returners in the Nation.

Top Senior Kickoff Returners in 1-AA Football 2007
Minimum 75% of games played and 1.2 kickoff returns per game.

Rank Player Pos Cl Gm Puntret Yds TDs Ydsret Retpgm
Craig Turner, Southern Ill. DB SR 14 26 756 1 29.08 1.86 Craig is the top KR in I-AA Football and 4th overall when you look at the 1-A players.

Top Senior Kickoff Returners in 1-A Football 2007
Minimum 75% of games played and 1.2 kickoff returns per game.

Rank Player Pos Cl Gm Kickret Yds TDs Avg Ret/Gm
Kevin Marion, Wake Forest WR SR 12 28 876 1 31.29 2.33
Kevin Robinson, Utah St. WR SR 12 43 1260 3 29.30 3.58
Curtis Francis, UCF RB SR 13 22 643 1 29.23 1.69

wvfan14
12-31-2007, 07:01 PM
If Darius Reynaud's crazy combine stats don't get him any love at receiver (which will be shocking), then he will make his money from the return game.