PDA

View Full Version : fenikz's top 16 w/ explanations

fenikz
12-26-2007, 12:38 AM
1. Miami (1-14) - Vernon Gholston DE/OLB Ohio State

The man is a pure beast and his combine numbers will reflect that making him a surefire top 5, McFadden is the BPA but just 2 years ago the invested their #2 pick in RB Ronnie Brown & Dorsey doesn't quite fit their current scheme

2. St. Louis (3-12) - Glenn Dorsey DT LSU

The man has been playing through injury the whole season and just hasn't been the same, he should be fully healthy by the NC game so we can once agian see his true dominance, Chris Long and Jake Long are both options here but i felt Dorsey was the BPA at a position of need.

3. New York Jets (3-12) - Chris Long DE Virginia

As long as he comes into the combine at a solid 280 and preforms well he is a good fit at 3-4 DE, Thomas Jones is a pretty solid back so McFadden would be a luxury that I think the Jets will pass up on.

4. Atlanta (3-12) - Darren McFadden RB Arkansas

The Falcons just need some good news, the fans are obviously upset over this season and the franchise needs a new face as Vick was just disgraceful, McFadden is the BPA in the draft and he is the best option to quickly improve the franchise quickly

5. Kansas City (4-11) - Jake Long OT Michigan

Thier O-line is just terrible this year, once one of the best in the NFL & Long is a solid player who takes them back in the right direction, Some may argue for a QB with the poor performance of Croyle, but no QB is going to do good behind the current line.

6. Oakland (4-11) - Sedrick Ellis DT USC

The man is just having a monster year, a huge part of USC's defenses success this year, extremely explosive pass rusher with a non-stop motor, who I'm sure scouts will fall in love with.

7. Baltimore (4-11) - Matt Ryan QB Boston College

Smith has looked decent in the games he has played and Billick's job may be on the line so another position is very possible, but if they do choose to go the QB route Ryan is the best one of this class and the way most of us see him as a prospect will probably change over the the time between the draft and now.

8. New England (from San Francisco) (5-10) - Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State

The Patriots may be the only team who is happy to be moving back in the draft as they don't like to pay rookies a lot of money and the difference between #2 and #8 is a very significant amount, Samuel seems very iffy on being resigned right now as he will want Nate Clements type of money and the Patriots just don't value any player that much, so they take the top CB and more than likely he will become an All Pro at the position.

9. Cincinnati (6-9) - James Laurinitis LB Ohio State

The Bengals severely underperformed this year, on some weeks they looked like one of the worst teams in the league others like playoff contenders, Laurinitis is a natural leader who can keep the defense on their toes and make sure that this stuff doesn't keep happening, he also happens to be the BPA imo.

10. Denver (6-9) - Dan Connor LB Penn State

Much like the Bengals you were never really sure what to expect out of them this year, Connor can start at MLB from the 1st day which will allow D.J. Williams to go back to SLB where he thrived last year

11. Carolina (6-9) - Brian Brohmn QB Louisville

Delhomme is normally a good QB when he is healthy but, that is becoming less and less and he is already 32 definitely not the long team answer, Fox could very well be gone after this year and a new HC may want his own QB. FS is probally their biggest area of need but QB is also a viable option.

12. Chicago (6-9) - Andre Woodson QB Kentucky

Woodson is a guy who I feel is unfairly being picked apart by scouts while he still is putting up amazing numbers in clutch situations throughout the season, Grossman & Orton clearly aren't the future of the franchise and Woodson is a very solid prospect. OT is another option, so Clady and Otah are also viable picks.

13. Arizona (7-8) - Kenny Phillips S Miami

Obviously the biggest need of the Cardinals is help in the secondary, Hood is a decent CB and Wilson is the best SS in the league pair him with Phillips which would allow him to roam even more and the entire defense will be a whole different beast. The Cardinals should strongly pursue a CB in FA to so they can move Green back to NB and cut ties with Rolle.

14. New Orleans (7-8) - Mike Jenkins CB South Florida

Nearly last in the NFL for passing yards allowed CB is definitely a position of need, I personally am not as high on Mike Jenkins as others are but even I can't argue that he is of good value here and at a position of need.

15. Buffalo (7-8) Malcolm Kelly WR Oklahoma

Seems like just too easy of a pick to make, but sometimes those are the best, Evans is a stud and a true #1 but Parrish is a burner who isn't the best compliment for him and should be used as a #3 to open up the field, that is where Kelly comes in, a great possession WR, who is good RZ target and isn't afraid to go across the middle.

16. Houston (7-8) - Ryan Clady OT Boise State

Finally they grab a franchise OT, both Shaub and Rosenfels have looked good and Andre Johnson is a stud, Secondary help or a RB can be had in the 2nd, but Clady is just too good of a prospect to pass up.

PalmerToCJ
12-26-2007, 12:44 AM
I'm all for the Bengals taking a LB or DE, it'll be hard for me to not be happy with one of those positions.

PossumBoy9
12-26-2007, 12:45 AM
Looks solid. I agree with Gholston going #1 overall.

As for the Rams, I'd be shocked if Chris Long wasn't the pick in this scenario. Defensive end is certainly the position of need and C. Long would also be in the BPA picture. I think he'd be a lock here with Gholston off the board.

diabsoule
12-26-2007, 02:04 AM
Give me Keith Rivers for N.O.

I know we need CB help but we need LB help more.

Hines
12-26-2007, 02:48 AM
Phillips to AZ would be deadly. Him and Wilson, ouch.

CLong4Heisman
12-26-2007, 08:56 AM
Great Jets pick.

princefielder28
12-26-2007, 10:26 AM
Bears would take Brohm or Ryan in round 1, if available, otherwise I think they pass on a developmental QB in round 1 like Woodson and address the O-Line or even safety with Kenny still available

Young Legend
12-26-2007, 11:02 AM
call me crazy and some raiders fans will.but i wouldnt touch Ellis..a Dre Moore or frank Okam in the second would help much more in the run game..IMO

cant see the Jets passing on Mcfadden..

Bills2083
12-26-2007, 11:18 AM
Good Bills pick, and good explanation

Babylon
12-26-2007, 11:54 AM
1. Miami (1-14) - Vernon Gholston DE/OLB Ohio State

The man is a pure beast and his combine numbers will reflect that making him a surefire top 5, McFadden is the BPA but just 2 years ago the invested their #2 pick in RB Ronnie Brown & Dorsey doesn't quite fit their current scheme

2. St. Louis (3-12) - Glenn Dorsey DT LSU

The man has been playing through injury the whole season and just hasn't been the same, he should be fully healthy by the NC game so we can once agian see his true dominance, Chris Long and Jake Long are both options here but i felt Dorsey was the BPA at a position of need.

3. New York Jets (3-12) - Chris Long DE Virginia

As long as he comes into the combine at a solid 280 and preforms well he is a good fit at 3-4 DE, Thomas Jones is a pretty solid back so McFadden would be a luxury that I think the Jets will pass up on.

4. Atlanta (3-12) - Darren McFadden RB Arkansas

The Falcons just need some good news, the fans are obviously upset over this season and the franchise needs a new face as Vick was just disgraceful, McFadden is the BPA in the draft and he is the best option to quickly improve the franchise quickly

Thier O-line is just terrible this year, once one of the best in the NFL & Long is a solid player who takes them back in the right direction, Some may argue for a QB with the poor performance of Croyle, but no QB is going to do good behind the current line.

6. Oakland (4-11) - Sedrick Ellis DT USC

The man is just having a monster year, a huge part of USC's defenses success this year, extremely explosive pass rusher with a non-stop motor, who I'm sure scouts will fall in love with.

7. Baltimore (4-11) - Matt Ryan QB Boston College

Smith has looked decent in the games he has played and Billick's job may be on the line so another position is very possible, but if they do choose to go the QB route Ryan is the best one of this class and the way most of us see him as a prospect will probably change over the the time between the draft and now.

8. New England (from San Francisco) (5-10) - Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State

The Patriots may be the only team who is happy to be moving back in the draft as they don't like to pay rookies a lot of money and the difference between #2 and #8 is a very significant amount, Samuel seems very iffy on being resigned right now as he will want Nate Clements type of money and the Patriots just don't value any player that much, so they take the top CB and more than likely he will become an All Pro at the position.

9. Cincinnati (6-9) - James Laurinitis LB Ohio State

The Bengals severely underperformed this year, on some weeks they looked like one of the worst teams in the league others like playoff contenders, Laurinitis is a natural leader who can keep the defense on their toes and make sure that this stuff doesn't keep happening, he also happens to be the BPA imo.

10. Denver (6-9) - Dan Connor LB Penn State

Much like the Bengals you were never really sure what to expect out of them this year, Connor can start at MLB from the 1st day which will allow D.J. Williams to go back to SLB where he thrived last year

11. Carolina (6-9) - Brian Brohmn QB Louisville

Delhomme is normally a good QB when he is healthy but, that is becoming less and less and he is already 32 definitely not the long team answer, Fox could very well be gone after this year and a new HC may want his own QB. FS is probally their biggest area of need but QB is also a viable option.

12. Chicago (6-9) - Andre Woodson QB Kentucky

Woodson is a guy who I feel is unfairly being picked apart by scouts while he still is putting up amazing numbers in clutch situations throughout the season, Grossman & Orton clearly aren't the future of the franchise and Woodson is a very solid prospect. OT is another option, so Clady and Otah are also viable picks.

13. Arizona (7-8) - Kenny Phillips S Miami

Obviously the biggest need of the Cardinals is help in the secondary, Hood is a decent CB and Wilson is the best SS in the league pair him with Phillips which would allow him to roam even more and the entire defense will be a whole different beast. The Cardinals should strongly pursue a CB in FA to so they can move Green back to NB and cut ties with Rolle.

14. New Orleans (7-8) - Mike Jenkins CB South Florida

Nearly last in the NFL for passing yards allowed CB is definitely a position of need, I personally am not as high on Mike Jenkins as others are but even I can't argue that he is of good value here and at a position of need.

15. Buffalo (7-8) Malcolm Kelly WR Oklahoma

Seems like just too easy of a pick to make, but sometimes those are the best, Evans is a stud and a true #1 but Parrish is a burner who isn't the best compliment for him and should be used as a #3 to open up the field, that is where Kelly comes in, a great possession WR, who is good RZ target and isn't afraid to go across the middle.

16. Houston (7-8) - Ryan Clady OT Boise State

Finally they grab a franchise OT, both Shaub and Rosenfels have looked good and Andre Johnson is a stud, Secondary help or a RB can be had in the 2nd, but Clady is just too good of a prospect to pass up.

let me take the liberty.

17. Jonathon Stewart, may be a little bit of a system player but runs well north and south and if he times well in the combine would probably go higher.

18. Jeff Otah, big OT who is gaining consensus as the #2 offensive lineman after Jake Long. Mel Kiper seems to be high on this guy, i tend to give him the benefit of the doubt.

19. Sam Baker, pretty much a top dozen pick before the season started and i dont think all of a sudden he stopped being a real good player, injuries sort of ruined his season but unless a hamstring injury ends his career he's a great value at the this point.

20. Jordy Nelson, if there is something in this guys DNA that wouldnt be a great addition to an NFL offense then tell me what that is. 6-3 220lbs and expected by those that have actually watched him to run a 4.4ish 40. For you old timers reminds me of Kirk Gibson who played at Michigan State in the late 70s.

fenikz
12-26-2007, 01:50 PM
Bears would take Brohm or Ryan in round 1, if available, otherwise I think they pass on a developmental QB in round 1 like Woodson and address the O-Line or even safety with Kenny still available

I think Woodson will be 3x the QB Brohm will ever be in the NFL

scottyboy
12-26-2007, 02:41 PM
giants pick sucks :p

T-RICH49
12-26-2007, 02:45 PM

great pick and thank you I've been saying that foir awhiile

BeerBaron
12-26-2007, 03:18 PM
depending on orton's play in this final game, he might justify himself being given a shot next year and the bears might hold off on a QB in round 1 and go oline instead.

although woodson is my personal pick if i had to go with one of the QB's

and another thing, if the falcons go McFadden, i hope he likes playing behind undrafted tackles and having 8 men in the box since theres no way in hell harrington, redman and thier ilk are going to back the safeties off.....

just an idea

12-26-2007, 03:24 PM
You go 1-15 to draft Vernon Gholston, im sorry but if thats the case then this is a very weak draft class. McFadden or Jake Long would be better suited for the top pick.

fenikz
12-26-2007, 03:29 PM
You go 1-15 to draft Vernon Gholston, im sorry but if thats the case then this is a very weak draft class. McFadden or Jake Long would be better suited for the top pick.

Sorry there is a 5% chance at best that you take another RB, putting that much money at one position is just plain dumb

Long could be an option but Gholston is a better overall player

12-26-2007, 03:38 PM
Sorry there is a 5% chance at best that you take another RB, putting that much money at one position is just plain dumb

Long could be an option but Gholston is a better overall player

I know its not your fault, theres just so much time until the draft that people play around with the top picks too much and end up putting players in positions they shouldnt be.

princefielder28
12-26-2007, 08:19 PM
I think Woodson will be 3x the QB Brohm will ever be in the NFL

There's no doubt in my mind either that Woodson will be the best out of the three top QBs but it will also take the most time to get him accustom to the NFL and prepared to play. I think the Bears want to win now given the talent they have on the defense when healthy, and if they can bring in a QB who can contribute positively right away they will do so. Otherwise if they are unable they can bring in a veteran, develop a young QB, and bring in someone to help out the O-Line or give instant help to a need on their team. The Bears are still a team that can win now but they just need to fill those few holes with people who can step in and play right away

urinemonkey
12-26-2007, 08:22 PM
ok Denver pick but inaccurate explanation. DJ was nonexistant at SLB, and is actually doing pretty well at MLB. The best pick there would be Phillips.

Don Killuminati
12-26-2007, 08:43 PM
call me crazy and some raiders fans will.but i wouldnt touch Ellis..a Dre Moore or frank Okam in the second would help much more in the run game..IMO

Who's to say we don't take Ellis and Moore? Afterall, we do need two new DTs. Also, I wouldn't touch Okam anywhere on Day 1.

12-26-2007, 08:59 PM

cant see the Jets passing on Mcfadden..

We dont need a nose tackle but a 4-3 DT. Ellis would be a dominant force against the pass and run that we desperately need. Hes arguably on the same level as Dorsey.

Don Killuminati
12-26-2007, 09:09 PM
Actually, we really do need a NT. But we need a UT as well. If we land both on Day 1, I'll call it a great draft.

12-26-2007, 09:14 PM
Actually, we really do need a NT. But we need a UT as well. If we land both on Day 1, I'll call it a great draft.

NTs can be found in bunches later on in the draft but if you want an elite UT you must invest a top 10 pick.

Don Killuminati
12-26-2007, 09:23 PM
NTs can be found in bunches later on in the draft

If that were true, every team would have one...or three. Obviously, that's not the case.

But that's not even relevant, since there are no 1st round NTs in this class. Not at this point, anyway. We'd be fools not to grab a DT like Moore or Bryant if he's there in Rd2, though.

12-26-2007, 09:26 PM
If that were true, every team would have one...or three. Obviously, that's not the case.

But that's not even relevant, since there are no 1st round NTs in this class. Not at this point, anyway.

I was talking about this years draft..

thebow305
12-26-2007, 09:59 PM
I know its not your fault, theres just so much time until the draft that people play around with the top picks too much and end up putting players in positions they shouldnt be.

If you think Long is worth the first overall pick and Gholston isn't, go look at film of when they played each other, Gholston completely owned Jake Long. Not much more needs to be said.

Anyway, judging by my comments, Fenikz, you probably already see how I feel about the Gholston pick for the phins! Love it! Just Perfect!

johbur
12-26-2007, 10:08 PM
I like the first half and look forward to your second half. I'm not sure Phillips will be there for AZ, but I hope he is.

Young Legend
12-26-2007, 11:16 PM
We dont need a nose tackle but a 4-3 DT. Ellis would be a dominant force against the pass and run that we desperately need. Hes arguably on the same level as Dorsey.

but a 285 pound Ut is not gonna change anything..Ellis is a amazing player but in terms of what the raiders need..im sorry he is not it..fill another need with the first pick and then get Dre Moore who reminds me of Kevin Williams a Dt who can stop the run..you get eillis and you got another UT..to go along with the other UT the raiders have..

psychosid
12-27-2007, 11:57 AM
Jordy Nelson should be the first receiver taken hands down. That is if you like your receivers big, strong, fast, great hands, great work ethic, etc. I cant wait for the combine when he runs a FASTER, thats right i said FASTER time then Desean Jackson (who is a 170 pound twirp, by the way).