PDA

View Full Version : New runningback rankings

darnik44two
12-26-2007, 08:41 AM
Note: In my RB rankings I worked in some FB/HB prospects who teams will like for what they do. They are not to be viewed as straight up HB's, but viewed for what they do (if that makes any sense).

Running Backs

1 Darren McFadden, Arkansas*
2 Jonathan Stewert, Oregon*
3 Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois*
4 Felix Jones, Arkansas*
5 Kevin Smith, Central Florida*
6 Chris Johnson, East Carolina
7 Steve Slaton, West Virginia*
8 Ray Rice, Rutgers*
9 Mike Hart, Michigan
10 Javon Ringer, Michigan State*
11 Tashard Choice, Georgia Tech
12 Matt Forte, Tulane
13 Allen Patrick, Oklahoma
14 Dantrell Savage, Oklahoma State
15 Jacob Hester, LSU (FB/HB)
16 Jamaal Charles, Texas*
17 Tony Temple, Missouri*
18 Javorskie Lane, Texas A&M* (FB)
19 Andre Callender, Boston College
20 Peyton Hillis, Arkansas (FB/HB)
21 Cory Boyd, South Carolina
22 P.J. Hill, Wisconsin*
23 James Davis, Clemson*
24 Justin Forsett, California
25 Chauncey Washington, USC
26 Owen Schmitt, West Virginia (FB)
27 Anthony Alridge, Houston (KR)
28 Brandon McAnderson, Kansas
29 Yvenson Bernard, Oregon State
30 Calvin Dawson, Louisiana-Monroe
31 Luke Lippincott, Nevada*
32 Ryan Torain, Arizona State
33 Rafeal Little, Kentucky
34 Tyrell Fenroy, Louisiana-Lafayette*
35 Louis Rankin, Washington (KR)
36 Thomas Brown, Georgia
37 Keon Lattimore, Maryland
38 Chris Markey, UCLA
39 Amir Pinnix, Minnesota
40 Danny Woodhead, Chadron State (KR)
41 Tyrell Sutton, Northwestern*
42 Calvin McRae, Ohio
43 Marcus Thomas, Texas-El Paso
44 Ian Johnson, Boise State*
45 Brad Lester, Auburn*
46 Jehuu Caulcrick, Michigan State (FB/HB)
47 Marlon Lucky, Nebraska*
48 BenJarvis Green-Ellis, Mississippi
49 Omar Cuff, Deleware
50 Arian Foster, Tennessee*
51 Jalen Parmele, Toledo
52 Xavier Omon, Northwest Missouri State
53 Kevin Richardson, Appalachian State
54 Doug Jones, Cincinnati (FB)
55 Antoine Smith, Florida State*
56 Albert Young, Iowa
57 Lance Ball, Maryland
58 Jerome Felton, Furman (FB)
59 Lynell Hamilton, San Diego State
60 Brandon Ore, Virginia Tech*
61 Chad Simpson, Morgan State
62 Kregg Lumpkin, Georgia
63 Kory Sheets, Purdue
64 Hugh Charles, Colorado
65 DeMyron Martin, Southern Methodist*
66 Yonus Davis, San Jose State*
67 Reggie Campbell, Navy (KR)
68 Rodney Kinlaw, Penn State
69 Micah Andrews, Wake Forest
70 Alley Brousard, Western Missouri St.
71 James Johnson, Kansas State
72 Jamario Thomas, North Texas
73 L.V. Whitworth, Boston College
74 Jamar Brittingham, Bloomsburg
75 Joe Doss, Memphis
76 Marcus Cross, Texas A&M
77 Brandon Whitaker, Baylor
78 DeMarco McNair, Middle Tennessee St.
79 Chad Hall, Air Force
80 Kyle Bell, Colorado State

Staubach12
12-26-2007, 08:52 AM
Jacob Hester should be higher IMO, and Chris Johnson is too high. But overall, very good.

BufFan71
12-26-2007, 10:35 AM
thanks for having Hugh Charles in there

hes so underrated

hes small, but VERY fast and very strong
IMO can be a successful 3rd down back/returner

NYGibril28
12-26-2007, 11:30 AM
wow Anthony Alridge is low...

Alley Broussard is on there at 45 and 54.

Marlon Lucky, Arian Foster, and Antone Smith are all Jrs. and should have an asterisk.

Travis 24
12-26-2007, 12:04 PM
Alridge should be closer to 15 than 50...Have you seen that guy play? He's probably right up there with Chris Johnson when it comes to game speed..and he's a better receiver and return man too.

princefielder28
12-26-2007, 12:34 PM
Thank you for putting Chris Johnson up there

darnik44two
12-26-2007, 12:42 PM
Thank you for putting Chris Johnson up there

I was very impressed with Chris Johnson in the Las Vegas Bowl. He showed the ability to run between the tackles by gaining around 80 yards in the game between the tackles. He reminded me a ton of Willie Parker.

LonghornsLegend
12-26-2007, 12:49 PM
Yea I also noticed Aldrige was pretty low, i was looking for his name at least between 20-30...guys pretty explosive

12-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Mike Mayock also has Chris Johnson as his top senior RB. :)

darnik44two
12-26-2007, 12:59 PM
Yea I also noticed Aldrige was pretty low, i was looking for his name at least between 20-30...guys pretty explosive

I probably should have Aldrige higher based on his return abilities. To me his return abilities are his only attractive attribute in the NFL. He's not a guy who could be a feature back, short yardage back, or even a 3rd down back because of his lack of pass blocking ability.

georgiafan
12-26-2007, 01:00 PM
No Thomas Brown in your top 60 ?

WildDude
12-26-2007, 01:55 PM
Chris Johnson definatley caught my attention in that last game... i think hes gonna be a good one, Switch Rashard Mendenhall to #2, Marlon Lucky is too low it wasnt his fault that he had a terrible line but in the first few games his brillance was shown... talent-wise hes a top 5 player, production wise- top 25.

Oh and can anyone answer me this, its just something ive been curious about how did Jamario Thomas fall out of the spotlight why didnt he play much since his freshman year, i know sophmore year he was injured and patrick cobbs was back but he seemed to be fine the last 2 years... Also what happened to Kregg Lumpkin i mean with the year he had theres no way he should be ranked that high...

darnik44two
12-26-2007, 02:05 PM
No Thomas Brown in your top 60 ?

He should be, i didn't realize I didn't have him in there. I'm going to slip him in there at #31.

WildDude
12-26-2007, 02:08 PM
oh i actually thought u made a mistake btw him and Kregg Lumpkin but guess u still have Kregg in...

doingthisinsteadofwork
12-26-2007, 02:26 PM
Forsett is way to low.

12-26-2007, 02:32 PM
I actually really like Jamaal Charles and think he should be a bit higher.

BufFan71
12-26-2007, 02:43 PM
did you watch him once this season? the only time he was even remotely succesful was when he had a massive hole and wasn't touched for the first 8 yards of his run. he's an extremely weak runner, and is the absolute worst running back i can remember at CU. sumler was ten times the running back charles was all season.

i watched a lot of games this season
at the beginning of the season he seemed soft, then he started breaking tackles, and taking on defenders

once he started doing that he became a much better runney

Demetrius Sumler is as good of a HB as Charles

BufFan71
12-26-2007, 09:35 PM
when, exactly? against texas tech and their staggering run defense? or against nebraska, when he was running through wide open holes? was it his total of 10 broken tackles on the season that convinced you he's "talented" or his amazing ability to fall down in the hole on every single play when he's challenged?

or is it because he's "fast" and therefore must be good? granted, if no one touches him for the first 25 yards, he's going to get a big carry. yippee. the man has no business whatsoever being drafted.

based off the list above, kyle bell was 100x the runner charles was, but suffers as a draft prospoect because he doesn't have charles' speed and because he played for the worst team in D-I not named notre dame.

what about Oklahoma's defense?
THere were plenty of times when charles broke multiple tackles on a single play

its obv u think that the glass is "half empty" and u dont like Charles

though Charles has somewhat underachieved during his time at CU, i think his senior year went pretty well, considering how bad the o-line is

cardsalltheway
12-27-2007, 09:11 AM
I think you're sleeping on BenJarvus Green Ellis. He doesn't have elite speed, but the guy is a very powerful runner who would probably be best utilized in a 2-headed attack. He would work well on a team like the Falcons I think. He's a 3rd/4th round grade IMO.

And congrats on completing my challenge

BufFan71
12-27-2007, 10:04 AM
"plenty of times" meaning what, once? the guy is a soft runner. further, "glass is half empty"? no, but i'm also not an unabashed homer who thinks everything player from my alma mater is the best player evar. hugh charles was the biggest complaint on our offense on a regular basis. his utter ineffectiveness made it even more difficult for our crap o-line to pass block effectively, since teams could regularly pin their ears back, knowing that charles would fall down on his own if it was a running play. what's funny to me is that if this was, say, a top WRs thread, you'd probably be talking about how patrick williams should be on the list and that he's awesome.

i dont think Charles is the best player ever, if i did i would've said he could be a starting HB, i didnt, i said he could be a 3rd down, return man.

CU virtually had no offense when Charles wasnt in..... Bryon Ellis wasnt as good a runner, neither was Sumler, hopefully CU gets a commit from Darrell Scott

The only two players i think that are pretty dang good are Terrence Wheatley, and Jordon Dizon

Billingsley26
12-27-2007, 11:26 AM
I like where Chris Johnson is. He really stuck out to me wathcing ECU play VT earlier in the season, and then after his record setting night in the Hawaii Bowl (I believe) there is n doubt that this guy can play. I think he really is a to prospect.

I really think Jamaal Charles should be higher. After what he was doing to teams, especially in the later parts of the game was disgusting. I think he would be picked higher than a bunch of guys up there.

darnik44two
12-27-2007, 12:27 PM
I expanded my rankings a bit, added some more underclassmen including Kevin Smith even though he said he's returning for his senior year.

toonsterwu
12-27-2007, 07:25 PM
I just posted this in the Felix Jones thread, but considering that's college FB, I figured I'd post it here, if darnik doesn't mind. If he does, I'll delete it. I didn't feel like starting a thread on it. Anyhow, my top 10 RB's

First Tier

1. Darren McFadden - No question. Only thing left is whether or not he can run, say, a low 4.4 or better. Top 5 pick.

2. Rashard Mendenhall - His 40 time will be huge. A mid-4.4 time or better, and he may lock up the 2nd spot. Mid-late first.

3. Jonathan Stewart - A lot of folks are wondering on that 40 time. A bad time (say mid-4.5's or worse) and he could fall a bit. Remember how Steven Jackson fell? It could happen here, even though for his size, a 4.55 type time is fine. Late first/early 2nd.

2nd tier

4. Chris Johnson - I expect him to keep sliding his way up. A huge 40 time (say low 4.3, if not an insane high 4.2) and there is an outside chance he goes late first. 2nd rounder.

5. Ray Rice - A lot of folks seem to love this guy. I wonder what his 40 time will be. Seems all over the board. But enough folks like him that I can't see him dropping out of the 2nd. Outside shot at late first. early-mid 2nd.

6. James Davis - If he bolts, I think he'll get a lot of looks. Solid back. A good 40 time and he's got an outside shot at late first. mid-2nd-early 3rd.

3rd tier

7. Mike Hart - Some like him as a tough back. Others don't for obvious reasons. I don't see him dropping out of the 3rd, though. Some team will gamble on "toughness" and "leadership". late 2nd - mid 3rd

8. Matt Forte - Good size and what seems like enough speed. Think Brian Leonard. For all the focus on Jacob Hester that's been given this year, Forte's a similar, and better, prospect. mid 3rd - mid 4th.

9. Tashard Choice - I like the guy. Solid player. Just too many concerns, ranging from health to 40 time. If healthy, could be a solid player, perhaps more of a complement than a lead. mid 3rd - mid 5th.

10. Louis Rankin - A bit under the radar, it seems, but he seems to look the part. I like what I saw this year, and he has good enough size. 40 time will be huge. late 3rd - early 5th (range isn't as low as Choice's due to Choice's health questions)

One of my personal favorites, Calvin Dawson, just hurt himself bad by stealing. I won't be surprised if he ends up in Canada.

Bobo
12-27-2007, 07:48 PM
I don't like to make guarantees, but I guarantee there are not 49 RB's better than Arian Foster. If that's the consensus view, then he's way underrated imo.

princefielder28
12-27-2007, 07:58 PM
My opinion........

1. Darren McFadden
2. Jonathan Stewart
3. Rashard Mendenhall
4. Chris Johnson
5. James Davis
6. Ray Rice
7. Anthony Aldridge
8. Mike Hart

Travis 24
12-27-2007, 09:13 PM
^ Louis Rankin is so under-rated...That man can run.

regoob2
12-27-2007, 10:02 PM
What are Mendenhalls pros and cons I haven't had a chance to watch much of him.