PDA

View Full Version : Louis Holmes, DE from Arizona

KaneMarko
12-27-2007, 11:42 AM
What are the thoughts on Louis Holmes the DE from Arizona? Based on what I’ve seen and read, he’s physically impressive and athletically gifted. One commentator said that if players were picked by what they looked like getting off the bus, Holmes would be a first rounder. Problem being he just hasn’t lived up to his gifts to this point and had some off the field issues. That about right? I have him down as going somewhere between 4th and 5th round. What are the chances of him making an impact in the NFL? Also, is he really 6’6”? I see some sites have him listed at 6’4”. And when I watch him play he looks closer to 6’4” than 6’6”.

Also, what are the thoughts on Eric Foster the DE from Rutgers?

Thanks in advance for the info.

scottyboy
12-27-2007, 12:18 PM
Eric Foster is a complete animal who is just simply amazing. AMAZING motor and work ethic along with top notch leadership. Sheds blockers exceptionally well with very good speed for a Dlineman. no off the field issues either. just a bit undersized.

KaneMarko
12-27-2007, 12:41 PM
Eric Foster is a complete animal who is just simply amazing. AMAZING motor and work ethic along with top notch leadership. Sheds blockers exceptionally well with very good speed for a Dlineman. no off the field issues either. just a bit undersized.

I haven't watched many Rutger games. But I saw Ruters versus Pitt. I might be mistaken but didn't Foster give Otah some problems in that game?

scottyboy
12-27-2007, 12:44 PM
I haven't watched many Rutger games. But I saw Ruters versus Pitt. I might be mistaken but didn't Foster give Otah some problems in that game?

yea, and i was actually a bit surprised how much trouble he gave him. Showed Foster's excellent quickness. He's a late round pick(4-6) because his size will cause him to change position to either DE or ILB(in a 3-4) in the NFL.

He's wreaked havoc in every game this year, but his emotional support and leadership is top notch. Many people talk about leaders entering the NFL, this guy is one helluva leader.

etk
12-27-2007, 01:09 PM
I think Foster will play LDE in the NFL. I wouldn't mind having him on the Bucs as a rotational player, mostly on 1st and 2nd down.

KaneMarko
12-27-2007, 02:00 PM
yea, and i was actually a bit surprised how much trouble he gave him. Showed Foster's excellent quickness. He's a late round pick(4-6) because his size will cause him to change position to either DE or ILB(in a 3-4) in the NFL.

He's wreaked havoc in every game this year, but his emotional support and leadership is top notch. Many people talk about leaders entering the NFL, this guy is one helluva leader.

Yeah, I had read somewhere he was a pretty strong leader. Every team needs guys like him.

My Chiefs are probably in need of a 3rd edge rusher. Jared Allen is a pro-bowler. Tamba has been hurt all year but is a young ascending pass rusher. But we really don’t have much behind them in the pass rushing defensive end department. So I thought Holmes or Foster might be good prospects to look at in the middle/mid-late rounds.

Holmes doesn’t have Fosters’ numbers tho. But it looks and sounds like whatever Foster lacks in physicality he more than makes up for in hustle and relentlessness and leadership.

Travis 24
12-27-2007, 02:16 PM
Foster isn't near athletic enough to move to linebacker..I think if your looking for a pretty good comparison for Foster, I'd look at Raheem Brock. He was around the same size when he came into the league, and had versatility to play DE or DT (which Foster played at RU).

scottyboy
12-27-2007, 02:25 PM
Foster isn't near athletic enough to move to linebacker..I think if your looking for a pretty good comparison for Foster, I'd look at Raheem Brock. He was around the same size when he came into the league, and had versatility to play DE or DT (which Foster played at RU).

You seriously don't think Foster could play Buck ILB? He'd be an excellent fit there with his motor and block shedding ability.

His best fit is where etk said, at LDE as a situational player. I'd love him on the giants to groom when strahan retires to be our 4th guy in "4 Aces"

SuperKevin
12-27-2007, 03:20 PM

if LeVon Kirkland could play LB than Eric Foster definately can

Travis 24
12-27-2007, 07:14 PM
...Why would you draft a guy who has played defensive tackle..and move him to middle linebacker? No, it wouldn't work...No one knows how well the guy moves in space, or reading a play from 3-5 yards off the line of scrimmage. He sheds blocks well because he has a quick first step...He is so much better off on the line.

genom
12-27-2007, 07:20 PM
I didn't like what i saw from Holmes when i saw him play. He looked unmotivated, and was pushed around easily and away from the play during runs. He also didn't look like he had too many pass rush moves.

scottyboy
12-27-2007, 08:03 PM
...Why would you draft a guy who has played defensive tackle..and move him to middle linebacker? No, it wouldn't work...No one knows how well the guy moves in space, or reading a play from 3-5 yards off the line of scrimmage. He sheds blocks well because he has a quick first step...He is so much better off on the line.

do you actually watch rutgers games or just talk about them? You move him because he's undersized. No one will know how well he'll move in space? are you ******* serious? Do you watch the games? for real? please stop talking about RU, it's embarassing...

KaneMarko
12-27-2007, 08:36 PM
I didn't like what i saw from Holmes when i saw him play. He looked unmotivated, and was pushed around easily and away from the play during runs. He also didn't look like he had too many pass rush moves.

That's one of the biggest things I kinda noticed with Holmes in that he doesn't have a huge array of pass rush moves and that he may rely on his physical gifts way too much. But I thought maybe if the right team drafted him and worked with him maybe he could learn what he needs to learn in order to become an effective NFL DE. Based on what I've seen and read of him the physical tools are there in abundance. It's just the other side of the game that is holding him back.

Travis 24
12-27-2007, 09:19 PM
do you actually watch rutgers games or just talk about them? You move him because he's undersized. No one will know how well he'll move in space? are you ******* serious? Do you watch the games? for real? please stop talking about RU, it's embarassing...

LOL...This board is ridiculous. I've never seen so many ******** things said in here...Undersized?...the guy is 6'2" 260-270 lbs, how in the hell is that under sized???...and I'm not sure how you expect a guy who has been playing on the interior of the defensive line, to suddenly move to linebacker...How often have you seen Foster drop back in coverage, or actually have to read into the backfield?...almost never? Exactly...thats like drafting James Hardy and moving him to TE because he's big.

Its not Madden 2008 or anything like that..sorry..

SuperKevin
12-27-2007, 09:24 PM
LOL...This board is ridiculous. I've never seen so many ******** things said in here...Undersized?...the guy is 6'2" 260-270 lbs, how in the hell is that under sized???...and I'm not sure how you expect a guy who has been playing on the interior of the defensive line, to suddenly move to linebacker...How often have you seen Foster drop back in coverage, or actually have to read into the backfield?...almost never? Exactly...thats like drafting James Hardy and moving him to TE because he's big.

You do realize NFL scouts have been mentioning the move to MLB for Eric Foster for nearly 2 years now right?

12-27-2007, 09:25 PM
I believe Tedy Bruschi made a similar move once he entered the pros.

scottyboy
12-28-2007, 06:18 AM

ok, sure just compare his size to NFL DT's...

SuperKevin is right, once Foster burst onto the scene in his late soph/early junior year, NFL scouts have said he'd be an excellent BUCK ILB. And tell me, what position was he recruited as coming out of Homestead, Florida? oh yea, LINEBACKER. A 2 star MLB... please just stop, like now

KaneMarko
12-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Anymore thoughts on Louis Holmes as an NFL prospect?

scottyboy
12-28-2007, 04:06 PM
Anymore thoughts on Louis Holmes as an NFL prospect?

his size is what makes him the most interesting. I'm sorry I cant help you more, not much of an Arizona guy(although i do like them), but when I saw Eric Foster, I had to jump in!

KaneMarko
12-29-2007, 05:07 PM
his size is what makes him the most interesting. I'm sorry I cant help you more, not much of an Arizona guy(although i do like them), but when I saw Eric Foster, I had to jump in!

No worries. I'm not really a huge fan of Arizona either. I was reading a draft mag earlier in the season and what they had to say about Holmes kinda caught my eye so I kinda kept an eye on him when Az games were televised in my area.

Thanks for the info on Foster. He certainly sounds like a very interesting prospect.

Freddy G
12-29-2007, 08:01 PM
Classic "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane"...similar to Chris Henry last year out of Arizona (i digress).

From the limited time that i have seen him he looks like a fluid athlete but gets pushed around and seems to have very inconsistant motor. Though at 6'5 265 he has ideal size for OLB in the 34. I can't really say if he has the ability to make the move, but right now i would say that is where his potential lies and if he impresses in LB drills in workouts i can see his stock really improving possibly into the first 3 rounds.

Turtlepower
12-30-2007, 01:17 AM
No worries. I'm not really a huge fan of Arizona either. I was reading a draft mag earlier in the season and what they had to say about Holmes kinda caught my eye so I kinda kept an eye on him when Az games were televised in my area.

Thanks for the info on Foster. He certainly sounds like a very interesting prospect.

He was a 5* JC recruit when he committed to UofA a couple years ago and said he would break Suggs' sack record. Since then I think he hasn't even recorded10 sacks in the past 2 season combined. He is a physical freak, but is nowhere during the game. Plus he has character issues due to being charged with possession of a firearm in Scottsdale.

Don Vito
12-30-2007, 03:13 AM
Holmes is gonna tear up Indy, he is an absolute freak. He is 6-5 270 and he has reportedly run sub 4.7s. He is very strong and very athletic, he definitely has the phyical attributes to make it in he NFL. I bet he will be a second or third rounder come April just because he is a monster.