PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Smith as good as his Numbers?

Thunder&Lightning
12-29-2007, 12:36 PM
Kevin smith is getting all the hype having the potential to break the rushing record but, what is his future in the nfl? First rounder? will he declare?

Paranoidmoonduck
12-29-2007, 12:40 PM
As far as I know he's already announced that he's returning to school.

Thunder&Lightning
12-29-2007, 12:47 PM
#1 back next year??

BamaFalcon59
12-29-2007, 12:48 PM
He's not even close to as good as his numbers. Good workhorse with good vision and accelleration, but lacks bulk and top-end speed. Reminds me of a less powerful Larry Johnson.

BamaFalcon59
12-29-2007, 01:03 PM
#1 back next year??

Felix Jones (Sr.)
Beanie Wells (Jr.)
Knowshon Moreno (RS Sophmore)
Rashard Mendenhall (Sr.)
CJ Spiller (Jr.)
Jamaal Charles (Sr.)
Ray Rice (Sr.)
Some USC Runningback (?)
LeSean McCoy (RS Sophmore)
DeMarco Murray (RS Sophmore)

I would take all of them over Smith. Of course some will be gone this year (Ray Rice?) and some won't come out next year (Murray?).

Twinblade
12-29-2007, 01:19 PM
Knowshon Moreno (if he comes out in 2009/2010) should be a top 10 pick.

theogt
12-29-2007, 02:39 PM
He's not even close to as good as his numbers. Good workhorse with good vision and accelleration, but lacks bulk and top-end speed. Reminds me of a less powerful Larry Johnson.Someone that lacks bulk reminds you of Larry Johnson?

BamaFalcon59
12-29-2007, 02:43 PM
Someone that lacks bulk reminds you of Larry Johnson?

I said less powerful. Like a poor mans Larry Johnson or even a Chris Brown (Tennessee) type player.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-29-2007, 03:26 PM
He reminds me kinda of Keavan Barlow.

Rich Jr
12-29-2007, 03:45 PM
Some USC Runningback (?)This is funny.

Bobo
12-29-2007, 06:24 PM
I said less powerful. Like a poor mans Larry Johnson or even a Chris Brown (Tennessee) type player.

I think he's got better balance and more wiggle than Brown. Brown may have a bit more speed.

BufFan71
12-29-2007, 06:53 PM
Felix Jones (Sr.)
Beanie Wells (Jr.)
Rashard Mendenhall (Sr.)
CJ Spiller (Jr.)
Jamaal Charles (Sr.)
Ray Rice (Sr.)
Some USC Runningback (?)

I would take all of them over Smith. Of course some will be gone this year (Ray Rice?) and some won't come out next year (Murray?).

Thats nice because i would only take Jamaal Charles over Smith, and only because his speed
Look at it like this, Smith now has another year to work on his strength, speed, and blocking

unless he gets hurt, hes going to get better...

I went to a UCF Team Football Camp over the summer, and we saw the UCF players running, and Kevin Smith is ripped

SuperKevin
12-29-2007, 07:28 PM
i was unimpressed by his blocking. I would have liked to see him stay in and pick up some of the rushers on passing plays. Isreal got killed back there

BufFan71
12-29-2007, 07:35 PM
Isreal is a horrible quarter nonetheless

Smith had a decent game, Miss St was more physical

one game isnt going to change my opinion on him

SuperKevin
12-29-2007, 07:36 PM
Isreal is a horrible quarter nonetheless

Smith had a decent game, Miss St was more physical

one game isnt going to change my opinion on him

I'm still having doubts about Smith and feel he really needed to return for his senior season to clear them up. I'd like to see him get less carries next year and showcase his blocking and recieving skills.

BufFan71
12-29-2007, 07:41 PM
i think the problem is, he might get just as many carries

Shane P. Hallam
12-29-2007, 08:19 PM
I think he is good, but not elite. I like him as a 2nd round back.

neko4
12-29-2007, 09:41 PM
I'm still having doubts about Smith and feel he really needed to return for his senior season to clear them up. I'd like to see him get less carries next year and showcase his blocking and recieving skills.
Same here, plus more carries=more damage to his body

keylime_5
12-29-2007, 10:09 PM
Felix Jones (Sr.)
Beanie Wells (Jr.)
Rashard Mendenhall (Sr.)
CJ Spiller (Jr.)
Jamaal Charles (Sr.)
Ray Rice (Sr.)
Some USC Runningback (?)

Mendenhall is probably gonna be in this year's draft, but those other guys will actually probably be in the 2009 draft....and almost all of them probably will get drafted before Smith if they all declare. I certainly think Wells, Moreno, Jones, Charles, and McCoy are the top 4 backs next year in order if they are all in the draft.

WildDude
12-30-2007, 12:57 AM
Jamaal Charles might leave cause apperently hes getting bad info as well as Mendenhall although hes a first rounder with good workouts and a good last game...

i like this kid he has a good head on his shoulders hes tough and makes up for the lack of physical tools he'll give 100% all the time which is the problem in college beause he wont be able to translate that into the nfl

Travis 24
12-30-2007, 01:04 AM
To put it simply....no.

BufFan71
12-30-2007, 09:20 AM
i dont see how someone with 2,500yds and 29td's can not be considered good

"he plays in the C-USA" That also means he had C-USA offensive linemen.
Hes got a HORRIBLE QB. He played all year against 8-9 in the box, but Miss St was too physical.
Dont Forget Smith put up big numbers against Texas and NC State too

toonsterwu
12-30-2007, 09:39 AM
Count me as a fan of Kevin Smith. I like the vision, I like how he knows when he needs that extra burst. I think he's got good quickness and is a tough runner. Short of it, I like his "feel" for the run game, which is often an underrated aspect, and I think he can be good starting caliber back in the NFL if given the opportunity.

Now, draft value wise, it all comes down to that 40. If he can put a sub-4.5 number, then he's got a shot at the first. Anywhere from a 4.5-4.55 he's probably a late first-early 3rd type. Anything from 4.55 and down, and he's dropping to the 4th/5th round area. Of course, injuries and other peripheral things come into play, so I'm assuming he stays healthy.

Babylon
12-30-2007, 11:42 AM
Nice looking back, will need to bulk up a little i think because he isnt a burner. I doubt he's a first rounder though.

Tampa 2 4 life
12-30-2007, 12:59 PM
Saying he's as good as his numbers is saying he's Barry Sanders. So no, he's not as good as his numbers.

fenikz
12-30-2007, 01:21 PM
mid 2nd - 3rd rounder for me, plenty of guys i would take over him

Iamcanadian
12-30-2007, 01:28 PM
Count me as a fan of Kevin Smith. I like the vision, I like how he knows when he needs that extra burst. I think he's got good quickness and is a tough runner. Short of it, I like his "feel" for the run game, which is often an underrated aspect, and I think he can be good starting caliber back in the NFL if given the opportunity.

Now, draft value wise, it all comes down to that 40. If he can put a sub-4.5 number, then he's got a shot at the first. Anywhere from a 4.5-4.55 he's probably a late first-early 3rd type. Anything from 4.55 and down, and he's dropping to the 4th/5th round area. Of course, injuries and other peripheral things come into play, so I'm assuming he stays healthy.

I agree, he's got the rest of the package but until we know how fast he is, we cannot slot him into a draft board. I'd say if he runs a sub 4.50, he will be a 1st rounder for sure. His OL on UCF was no match for Mussissippi St.'s defense limiting his impact but you could see the vision and cutting ability.

nhlkdog411
12-30-2007, 01:54 PM
im doubting he runs anything near a sub 4.5, have you guys seen his recruiting numbers? he ran like a 4.69 and had a 24 inch vertical in addition to only 5 bench reps at 185..and he was basically the same size he is now, so maybe he improved those a bit but I'm not expecting anything great out of him, he's such a marginal athlete.

FinNasty
12-31-2007, 01:19 PM
McFadden vs. Miss State this season:
88 rushing yards

Smith vs. Miss State this season:
120 rushing yards

And:
SEC OLine >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> CUSA OLine

Think about it... UCF's OLinemen were 1 and 2 star players. Ark's were 4 and 5 stars...

And I'm not here saying that Smith is better than McFadden, thats not where I am going with this. Fact is, that Smith is one of the best RBs in the nation. He has one of the worst QBs in the nation... an average Oline, and yet he still does damn well...

Now, I will be the first to admit that his numbers are a little inflated due to some of the opponents. However, that doesnt mean that he isnt a GREAT back. He still is an 1,800 yard rusher in a better conference...

He has the best vision in the nation...

Iamcanadian
12-31-2007, 03:24 PM
im doubting he runs anything near a sub 4.5, have you guys seen his recruiting numbers? he ran like a 4.69 and had a 24 inch vertical in addition to only 5 bench reps at 185..and he was basically the same size he is now, so maybe he improved those a bit but I'm not expecting anything great out of him, he's such a marginal athlete.

Many athletes grow up and are way better talents than they were in high school. That is why so many athletes who weren't 5 stars when recruited go on to be all pro in the NFL. Many an unknown has committed himself to improving and far surpassed 5 star high school athletes while a huge # of 5 star recruits never amount too much once they leave high school.

nhlkdog411
01-01-2008, 12:08 PM
not saying he couldn't improve but its doubtful he's anything more than an average nfl athlete even if he DID improve on those numbers by quite a bit..seriously a 24 inch vertical is horrible in terms of explosion..i dont doubt he runs more like a 4.6 flat now and has more like a 30 inch vert and better strength, but he just isn't a natural athlete at all

Iamcanadian
01-01-2008, 12:43 PM
not saying he couldn't improve but its doubtful he's anything more than an average nfl athlete even if he DID improve on those numbers by quite a bit..seriously a 24 inch vertical is horrible in terms of explosion..i dont doubt he runs more like a 4.6 flat now and has more like a 30 inch vert and better strength, but he just isn't a natural athlete at all

Well, he has great vision and cutting ability, he's added 30lbs since high school but if he indeed runds a 4.6, he won't see round 1. However, I think we are looking at a prospect who really grew up in college and I'll wait until the combine to see how fast he runs. I really don't care what he did in high school.

FinNasty
01-01-2008, 01:23 PM

Just not a natural athlete, huh? lol

What are you basing that on? Actually watching him play? Or some 40 times back in high school? lol

The kid is one hell of an athlete. He can make defenders miss with the best of them... and has incredible burst through the hole...

nhlkdog411
01-01-2008, 05:19 PM
how can you argue that he is a good natural athlete? I'm not saying he won't be decent in the NFL or that he isn't a great college back with great vision who plays better than his athleticism. I agreed that he probably improved on those numbers in school but the fact that that is what he had for athletic numbers in high school DOES give credence to him not being a good natural athlete. People say a guy like Jacob Hester isn't athletic enough to be an NFL back and yet he is almost certainly a better athlete than Smith is. I'm not saying he is a better back or that would be a better pro or anything like that, all I am saying is that Kevin Smith isn't a very good athlete and thats it. Hell Emmit Smith wasn't a great athlete either and he's the all time leading rusher so clearly speed and athleticism isn't all that is important to being a runningback, and maybe Kevin can do just the same.

I_C_DeadPeople
01-01-2008, 05:48 PM
FYI - On the Bowl telecast pre-game show, the commentator Robert Smith said Smith will be a better pro than McFadden. Strong words, just one man's opinion of course.