PDA

View Full Version : Hallelujah! Martz to be fired after Sunday's game.

P-L
12-29-2007, 08:36 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3173002

detroit4life
12-29-2007, 08:37 PM
u stole my thunder

bearsfan_51
12-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Kippy Brown has been in the league forever but has yet to get his chance to coordinate. Should be interesting to see how similar he is to Martz.

detroit4life
12-29-2007, 08:40 PM
im furios haha well its interesting that we'll rehire from inside rather then looking outside our team

D-Unit
12-29-2007, 08:46 PM
Problems solved!!!! 16-0 Here we come!!!!

detroit4life
12-29-2007, 08:49 PM
Kippy Brown has been in the league forever but has yet to get his chance to coordinate. Should be interesting to see how similar he is to Martz.

i actually think we was a cordinator for the dolphins for two years

detroitsports
12-29-2007, 09:13 PM
This better mean new QB also

detroit4life
12-29-2007, 09:20 PM
it might be hard to replace kitna

neko4
12-29-2007, 09:37 PM
So does this mean an end to the spread offense?

WMD
12-29-2007, 09:45 PM
Problems solved!!!! 16-0 Here we come!!!!

We? Get off of our bandwagon, poncho!!

WMD
12-29-2007, 10:01 PM
Oh, by the way, we're going to be terrible next year.

The Martz offense didn't hold us back. Jon Kitna, our bad OL and our terrible Defense held us back.

We rarely had a pass rush and rarely covered anybody past the line of scrimmage.

The OLine was meh.. good at points (Woody at RT) and terrible at others (Jeff Sackus)..

Our receivers routinely got open or at least had a shot at a catch if the QB delivered it in the right spot.. but we constantly had Kitna overthrowing, underthrowing, throwing too high, too low, behind receivers, leading them too far.. I can't think of one great game that he played.

This one is on Marinelli. He had to have known what he was getting with Mike Martz.. If he was surprised that we always threw 40+ Times a game, never ran, and got sacked a lot; he's just as clueless as pretty much everybody else in our management.

detroit4life
12-29-2007, 10:17 PM
Oh, by the way, we're going to be terrible next year.

The Martz offense didn't hold us back. Jon Kitna, our bad OL and our terrible Defense held us back.

We rarely had a pass rush and rarely covered anybody past the line of scrimmage.

The OLine was meh.. good at points (Woody at RT) and terrible at others (Jeff Sackus)..

Our receivers routinely got open or at least had a shot at a catch if the QB delivered it in the right spot.. but we constantly had Kitna overthrowing, underthrowing, throwing too high, too low, behind receivers, leading them too far.. I can't think of one great game that he played.

This one is on Marinelli. He had to have known what he was getting with Mike Martz.. If he was surprised that we always threw 40+ Times a game, never ran, and got sacked a lot; he's just as clueless as pretty much everybody else in our management.

i dont see us being worse then this year and we have a shot at being 8-8. Our oline has been much better with woody so if we can retain him that will be a big plus. I see us adding a lot of our defense so i think that will be better and although i dont think we will replace kitna this year a more balanced offense will help him alot

Barbecue Bob
12-29-2007, 10:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3173002

The Detroit Lions are expected to fire offensive coordinator Mike Martz after Sunday's season finale against Green Bay, the Los Angeles Times reported on its Web site.

The newspaper, citing multiple sources familiar with the situation, said the Lions will replace the veteran coach with receivers coach Kippy Brown. ESPN NFL analyst Chris Mortensen confirmed the report Saturday night.

Xiomera
12-29-2007, 11:25 PM
Lions are ****** next season.

We will be lucky to win 6 games next year, and that's not just because of the firing of Martz.

We're gonna end up with a pick between 15 and 22, and based on overall talent, the Lions should be picking top 5. Our defense is barren in terms of playmakers. Our offensive line is atrocious. Kitna has proven to be a guy incapable of leading a team to the playoffs. And Millen is an incompetant, bumbling idiot.

Xiomera
12-29-2007, 11:27 PM
Drew Stanton will go down as a wasted pick. He was Martz's guy. Now he is gonna have to learn a new system, and his developmental year will prove worthless.

The Lions might as well invest a first and a third rounder in Derek Anderson. They are too gunshy to pick a 1st round QB again, and there aren't gonna be any starting caliber free agent QB's walking around in the forseeable future.

Brodeur
12-30-2007, 12:14 AM
I'm not sure how comfortable I am with a guy named Kippy being the OC. This year, we had the whole trio of ordinary names and now switching to a guy named Kippy?

And also, that's one MM gone that needs to go. Only one more.

neko4
12-30-2007, 12:18 AM
Drew Stanton will go down as a wasted pick. He was Martz's guy. Now he is gonna have to learn a new system, and his developmental year will prove worthless.

The Lions might as well invest a first and a third rounder in Derek Anderson. They are too gunshy to pick a 1st round QB again, and there aren't gonna be any starting caliber free agent QB's walking around in the forseeable future.
Sucks for Stanton, but an opportunity to get Anderson sounds great, but why not use that first for an OL?

GB12
12-30-2007, 01:14 AM
Martz in San Francisco sounds like a disaster.

TacticaLion
12-30-2007, 02:02 AM
Come ON! Stop with the ******** on this thread.

1.) The offense will be better next year than it was this year. Why? We wont have Mike "I'd rather run 4 times this game" Martz calling the plays. How many times did Martz try to outsmart the opposing DCoord and, in the process, run us out of the game? Way too many. We need an OCoord that will run AND pass with consistency... not move away from what's working to throw the game away.

2.) The Lions' offense was horrible this year. And, by "horrible" I mean pathetic. We have the second worst 3rd down completion percentage in the NFL (no execution) and the most sacks given in the NFL (poor scheme for our personnel). Sure, we have the 8th most passing yards, but the 30th most rushing yards (no balance). Any offense that chooses to run the ball more and keep Kitna from dropping back and waiting for complex routes to develop will succeed more than our offense did this year.

3.) Stanton is NOT a wasted player. He was a solid player coming out of college and still has talent. Whatever Martz taught him will only help him develop in the future... as a QB, he can adjust to another offense (although we'll be running a similar offense next year). He isn't a lost cause... give him a chance before you write him off.

Too much ********. Our offense was pathetic this year and Martz's scheme is a horrible fit for our personnel. A healthy Roy Williams, CJ, SMD and Furrey with an improved OLine and balance will improve this offense from where it was this year.

49ersfan_87
12-30-2007, 02:10 AM
Martz in San Francisco sounds like a disaster.

It really would. Martz is the furthest thing this team needs as an OC. I hope he doesn't come to SF, that has "name move" written all over it.

P-L
12-30-2007, 12:51 PM
The Lions offense might be worse next year, but sometimes you need to take a step back before you can move forward.

WMD
12-30-2007, 01:08 PM
The Lions offense might be worse next year, but sometimes you need to take a step back before you can move forward.

We've taken about 999324082498974659376593756 steps back.

detroit4life
12-30-2007, 01:19 PM

i disagree were not bringing in a new system so stantons progress has not taken a hit at all. i dont think we get worse here at all. The only difference is that we will run theball more rather then throw 50 times a game. we will only get better with another off season. our defense will improve CJ will be healthy and not be a rookie and hopefully we will have woody as our RT.

casskid
12-30-2007, 06:09 PM
I dont understand how getting rid of our OC makes the defense tackle any better, or wasting time outs on stupid challenges, or our front office from giving away bloated contracts to so-so players. Sure Martz didnt like to run, but when you know you're defense cant stop anyone the pressure for a need of big plays gets higher. Now Martz is by no means perfect, but hes probably the last of the coaches/staff that needed to be fired.

detroit4life
12-30-2007, 06:13 PM
I dont understand how getting rid of our OC makes the defense tackle any better, or wasting time outs on stupid challenges, or our front office from giving away bloated contracts to so-so players. Sure Martz didnt like to run, but when you know you're defense cant stop anyone the pressure for a need of big plays gets higher. Now Martz is by no means perfect, but hes probably the last of the coaches/staff that needed to be fired.

this was simply as a result of two different philosophies of marinelliand martz. Marinelli is the HC and wants to run the ball more.

Also when your offense goes 3 and out so many times because your throwing so much with your terrible QB it doesnt help your defense. Running the ball and controling the ball helps your defense because it keeps them off the field so there is a way to help you defense on offense and that is time possesion. It seems as if that is the last thing on Martzs mind when he calls the plays

dpgreen
12-30-2007, 07:12 PM
"We're gonna end up with a pick between 15 and 22, and based on overall talent, the Lions should be picking top 5."

cant argue with the last part really, but on the bright side you have the pick range backwards. We're going to be picking somewhere from 9th to 15th, not 15th to 22nd.

TacticaLion
12-30-2007, 10:42 PM
Also when your offense goes 3 and out so many times because your throwing so much with your terrible QB it doesnt help your defense. Running the ball and controling the ball helps your defense because it keeps them off the field so there is a way to help you defense on offense and that is time possesion. It seems as if that is the last thing on Martzs mind when he calls the plays

Exactly. Having the second worst 3rd down conversion percentage in the NFL says a lot... and it puts your defense in a tight spot. A solid running game can fix that... something Martz would never give us.

jbombul
12-31-2007, 12:14 AM
we should be looking for a solid rb in free agency, who knows when and if kj will be healthy again, we need a guy who can carry the ball 25 times with duckett as a good fill in. PLEASE find a good returner too and dump AVEION CASONS ASS

casskid
12-31-2007, 12:37 AM
I dont have the stats so I could be making this all up, but it seemed like when the defense was playing well we ran the ball more which would imply that Martz had confidence that the defense could stop some one, so he didnt feel like he had to throw the ball every down and hope for a big play. I just dont think the Lions became that much better with this move. If they released Millen then it would be hallelujah, this just seems like Lions business as usual.

bearsfan_51
12-31-2007, 11:38 AM
"We're gonna end up with a pick between 15 and 22, and based on overall talent, the Lions should be picking top 5."

cant argue with the last part really, but on the bright side you have the pick range backwards. We're going to be picking somewhere from 9th to 15th, not 15th to 22nd.
It's the 15th pick.

WMD
12-31-2007, 02:41 PM
I dont have the stats so I could be making this all up, but it seemed like when the defense was playing well we ran the ball more which would imply that Martz had confidence that the defense could stop some one, so he didnt feel like he had to throw the ball every down and hope for a big play. I just dont think the Lions became that much better with this move. If they released Millen then it would be hallelujah, this just seems like Lions business as usual.

It's the other way around.. When we ran the ball, our defense played better because the clock ran, they could stay off the field for longer and rest.

D-Unit
12-31-2007, 03:12 PM
Seriously... Was it the offense's fault for losing? Martz wasn't the problem. Who hired him again? Uh huh... blame that guy.

lionsfan320
12-31-2007, 08:28 PM
Aveion has actually proven to be a pretty good returner.

WMD
12-31-2007, 08:44 PM
Aveion has actually proven to be a pretty good returner.

...Huh??? Maybe in Madden.

Xiomera
12-31-2007, 08:46 PM
...Huh??? Maybe in Madden.

Cason was uninspiring as a return man. Yes, he had a couple good ones in the final week, but 9 times out of 10, I swear he never got it past the 25.

Addict
01-01-2008, 06:31 AM
We've taken about 999324082498974659376593756 steps back.

one more won't hurt.

.. much