PDA

View Full Version : The Future of the Lions' Offense...

TacticaLion
12-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Why Kippy Brown makes sense as Martz's replacement
by Tom Kowalski
Saturday December 29, 2007, 7:31 PM

There is a report in the L.A. Times that confirms what I said earlier this week -- that Mike Martz would step down as the Lions offensive coordinator. I speculated that receivers coach Kippy Brown could be the new coordinator and the Times, according to sources, says it's going to happen.

It makes total sense. First, Brown has experience (he was a coordinator for two years with the Miami Dolphins -- 1988-89). Second, head coach Rod Marinelli doesn't want to make drastic changes with the offense. By promoting Brown, the Lions will keep the same three-digit passing system and terminology. The biggest difference will be the philosophy in the playcalling and you can bet the offense will attempt to be more balanced with Brown.Same scheme, but different decisions... exactly what we need.

detroit4life
12-29-2007, 10:32 PM
a.k.a. kitna will remain its basically we will run more and Marinelli will have an influence on what we do

TacticaLion
12-30-2007, 01:50 AM
Which is perfect. I'm excited.

detroit4life
12-30-2007, 01:21 PM
no Kitna needs to go he is terrible and hurts our team more then he helps. He throws a ton of ints and he cant make the difficult throws. I like the fact that we have the same scheme but more balanced but we will never be good with ktina as our QB

TacticaLion
12-30-2007, 10:47 PM
no Kitna needs to go he is terrible and hurts our team more then he helps. He throws a ton of ints and he cant make the difficult throws. I like the fact that we have the same scheme but more balanced but we will never be good with ktina as our QB

A solid running game and better play calls (shorter, faster routes) will help Kitna tremendously. Martz gets him killed back there and throwing the ball 50+ times a game doesn't help.

Iamcanadian
12-31-2007, 04:11 PM
No matter what anybody says, Martz had the player's loyalty and they aren't going to be happy with his departure. They will be second guessing Marinelli and his choice to replace Martz. This probably means Roy won't resign unless we have another franchised player, Kitna may hang them up and it will mean that a lot of veterans will see again that this organization led by Millen is disfunctional which could lead to a wholesale letdown by the offense. Martz was their man, they believed in him and more important never quit in a game.
Anybody who thinks this won't open up another can of worms with a lot of veterans criticizing the organization openly, is in for a surprise.
If this team gets off to a poor start next season, we will again challenge for the #1 overall pick because this team will quit at the first sign of a losing streak.

WMD
12-31-2007, 04:22 PM
No matter what anybody says, Martz had the player's loyalty and they aren't going to be happy with his departure. They will be second guessing Marinelli and his choice to replace Martz. This probably means Roy won't resign unless we have another franchised player, Kitna may hang them up and it will mean that a lot of veterans will see again that this organization led by Millen is disfunctional which could lead to a wholesale letdown by the offense. Martz was their man, they believed in him and more important never quit in a game.
Anybody who thinks this won't open up another can of worms with a lot of veterans criticizing the organization openly, is in for a surprise.
If this team gets off to a poor start next season, we will again challenge for the #1 overall pick because this team will quit at the first sign of a losing streak.

I'm not sure that they'll quit instantly.. but we'll just have less talent. There's a good chance that either Shaun Rogers, Roy Williams, or both, will be gone by next year.. Leaving us with Ernie Sims & Gerald Alexander on Defense; and Calvin Johnson & a hobbled Kevin Jones on Offense. With no Martz Offense to carry the team.