PDA

View Full Version : Which 5* is most likely to be a bust?

BigJohn98
12-30-2007, 03:36 PM
Of all the 5* prospects, which is most likely to be a bust? I'll say Dayne Crist.

CherryGarcia510
12-30-2007, 03:52 PM
i'll go with will hill

Joeyjr09
12-30-2007, 04:00 PM
Will Hill seems like a good choice as does Crist, he's gonna get mauled up in ND.

I'll throw Nigel Bradham out there as well. His game tape just doesn't impress me. I think he'll be ok but nothing like what people are touting him as. He just doesn't move that well and won't do anything in coverage. All he is to me is a thumper in the middle which is ok and plays its role but isn't dynamic enough to be rated a 5 star.

BigJohn98
12-30-2007, 04:43 PM
Will Hill seems like a good choice as does Crist, he's gonna get mauled up in ND.

I'll throw Nigel Bradham out there as well. His game tape just doesn't impress me. I think he'll be ok but nothing like what people are touting him as. He just doesn't move that well and won't do anything in coverage. All he is to me is a thumper in the middle which is ok and plays its role but isn't dynamic enough to be rated a 5 star.

I wasn't that impressed with Nigel's film either. I was more impressed with Nigel Carr's highlights.

jballa838
12-30-2007, 04:47 PM
Name a ND prospect.

keylime_5
12-30-2007, 04:48 PM
Shayne Hale on scout's rankings, Dayne Crist on rivals' rankings.

mqtirishfan
12-30-2007, 06:06 PM
R.J. Washington

But shouldn't we wait until ND's class is complete so we can make sure there aren't any more horrible 5-star guys who are worse than walk-ons at any other school lurking around?

thebow305
12-30-2007, 07:36 PM
Patrick Johnson.... too much of a head case. Especially if he ends up at FSwho. :P

reigle9
12-30-2007, 08:11 PM
Any OL..........

Jonny
12-30-2007, 09:35 PM
E.J. Manuel or Sam MacGuffie.

Will Hill will be pretty good imo.

VoteLynnSwan
12-30-2007, 10:41 PM
E.J. Manuel or Sam MacGuffie.

Will Hill will be pretty good imo.

McGuffie isn't a 5* and i think he's gonna be dominate.

Axl Rose
12-31-2007, 05:25 PM
EJ Manuel and Terrell Pryor.

BigJohn98
12-31-2007, 05:29 PM
EJ Manuel and Terrell Pryor.

Yeaaaaaaah....no. EJ Manuel is going to be coached by Jimbo Fisher, and Pryor by Jim Tressell. They won't be busts. Your God Dayne Crist won't amount to **** at Notre Dame.

mqtirishfan
12-31-2007, 05:36 PM
Yeaaaaaaah....no. EJ Manuel is going to be coached by Jimbo Fisher, and Pryor by Jim Tressell. They won't be busts. Your God Dayne Crist won't amount to **** at Notre Dame.

Yeah, because Charlie Weis is horrible at developing QBs.

BigJohn98
12-31-2007, 05:38 PM
That was the NFL buddy. Chollie hasn't really impressed me yet with his developing of players. Brady Quinn is horrible.

mqtirishfan
12-31-2007, 05:40 PM
That was the NFL buddy. Chollie hasn't really impressed me yet with his developing of players. Brady Quinn is horrible.

Brady Quinn was a first round pick in April. Thanks for playing, though.

BigJohn98
12-31-2007, 05:43 PM
So all first round quarterbacks are good? How is Akili Smith doing? He wouldn't have been if Cleveland hadn't traded up. He isn't good. Sorry to dissapoint you, but he isn't. He has a sissy arm, and he'll probably be a career backup.

mqtirishfan
12-31-2007, 05:50 PM
So all first round quarterbacks are good? How is Akili Smith doing? He wouldn't have been if Cleveland hadn't traded up. He isn't good. Sorry to dissapoint you, but he isn't. He has a sissy arm, and he'll probably be a career backup.

I don't know where to begin, here.

A) You're assuming he'll suck, and have absolutely no evidence to support your opinion. There's a reason Cleveland traded up, and that's because the other teams that would have drafted a QB in the first place were coming up. It's not like other QBs were drafted in that time. Only JaMarcus was taken ahead of him in terms of QBs.

B) Akili Smith sucked in the NFL. But he was a great college QB who turned into a great pro prospect. Good enough for NFL scouts to think he was worthy of a top-5 pick. After he got to the pros, he sucked. You can blame that on a number of things. Injuries, a lack of a supporting cast, poor coaching at the pro level, but not what happened in college.

C) I don't see how he has a sissy arm. But if he did, then how is that against Weis? It would mean he turned a QB with an awful arm into a first round pick by making him a fantastic college QB. As far as recruiting goes, coaches don't give two shits about how good of a pro prospect a guy is, but how he'll help the college team. If Quinn never pans out in the NFL, Notre Dame fans won't discount his near-Heisman win and great play.

Axl Rose
12-31-2007, 06:57 PM

Dayne dominated the toughest league in the nation already, no QB plays the comp he does. Dayne also already outperformed Manuel at the elite 11 camp, Manuel will be another Xavier Lee. I already made my case about Pryor before.

BigJohn98
12-31-2007, 07:02 PM
No, EJ won't be like Xavier Lee. EJ Manuel has something Xavier Lee doesn't have. WORK ETHIC.

mqtirishfan
12-31-2007, 07:09 PM
I'd like the record to show that I'm not a big Crist fan, and I think Manuel will be an absolute star. But to say that coaching has anything to do with it is insane.

WildDude
01-01-2008, 02:54 PM
im probally gonna get ripped apart for this... AJ Green cause Georgia dosent have a good track record of producing elite recievers, which is why Calvin Johnson made a great move at GT he woulda been killed in georgia's offense

same with Christ unless he decommits like he shoulda a long time ago but i hear hes a firm ND commit so thers no way Weis is benching Clausen so hes kinda stuck...

Jermie Calhoun or Justin Johnson, whoever ends up having to change their position, think AD and DJ Wolfe

ncst8fan83
01-01-2008, 09:05 PM
I'll go with Michael Floyd per scout's rankings. Burton Scott per rivals.

mqtirishfan
01-01-2008, 09:46 PM
same with Christ unless he decommits like he shoulda a long time ago but i hear hes a firm ND commit so thers no way Weis is benching Clausen so hes kinda stuck...

Really, that won't hurt him too much. Clausen will be a soph next year, and Crist can redshirt. Then if Clausen leaves after his junior year, Crist would be the probable starter as a RS sophomore.

P-L
01-01-2008, 10:17 PM
I think Pryor has the highest bust potential, but he also has easily the highest upside.

Joeyjr09
01-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Dayne dominated the toughest league in the nation already, no QB plays the comp he does. Dayne also already outperformed Manuel at the elite 11 camp, Manuel will be another Xavier Lee. I already made my case about Pryor before.

What exactly makes up the toughest competition in the nation that Crist faced? With all the high schools in the nation and how different each state is, how could you possibly make a statement like that? There's way too many varibles to know what the toughest competition is at the high school level.

What makes Crist accomplishments any better then a guy like Jacory Harris? He led Miami Northwestern to 2 straight undefeated seasons and had them ranked as the number 1 team in all of High School football. It's not like Florida is a sloutch when it comes to football. We produce some of the nations top talent every year.

I just don't see how you can make a statement like that about Crist when there are other QBs that deserve just as much if not more credit for their play then Crist.

WildDude
01-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Really, that won't hurt him too much. Clausen will be a soph next year, and Crist can redshirt. Then if Clausen leaves after his junior year, Crist would be the probable starter as a RS sophomore.

and thats just best case scanerio chances are clausen wont be good enough for the nfl draft i know hes alot older than most and wants to get to the nfl and not be like Weinke... Joe Montanas son also will walk on but im not expecting him to play

mqtirishfan
01-01-2008, 10:54 PM
and thats just best case scanerio chances are clausen wont be good enough for the nfl draft i know hes alot older than most and wants to get to the nfl and not be like Weinke... Joe Montanas son also will walk on but im not expecting him to play

Dude has an ego, I wouldn't doubt him leaving anyway.

WildDude
01-01-2008, 11:58 PM
What exactly makes up the toughest competition in the nation that Crist faced? With all the high schools in the nation and how different each state is, how could you possibly make a statement like that? There's way too many varibles to know what the toughest competition is at the high school level.

What makes Crist accomplishments any better then a guy like Jacory Harris? He led Miami Northwestern to 2 straight undefeated seasons and had them ranked as the number 1 team in all of High School football. It's not like Florida is a sloutch when it comes to football. We produce some of the nations top talent every year.

I just don't see how you can make a statement like that about Crist when there are other QBs that deserve just as much if not more credit for their play then Crist.

I do like Jacoby Harris once he gains a little beef he could be a great one I liked what i saw on tape of him... I personally think he'll be playin on sundays maybe not at QB if he dosent gain weight but somewhere

Marino13
01-02-2008, 12:24 AM
I think Pryor has the highest bust potential, but he also has easily the highest upside.

agreed. I don't really know If Pryor will be a bust or not, but Jeannette does not play the top teams in PA.

reigle9
01-02-2008, 07:15 AM
Pryor is more likely to win 3 Heisman's than to bust.

mqtirishfan
01-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Pryor is more likely to win 3 Heisman's than to bust.

I am more likely to win the lottery twice than Pryor is to win 3 Heisman trophies.

BigJohn98
01-02-2008, 11:11 AM

Where did you hear that he outperformed EJ Manuel? One of Rivals recruiting experts said he was the best quarterback there.

ToldLikeItIs
01-05-2008, 10:08 AM
With ND's depth at QB, I would say Dayne Crist is probably the best choice to bust. I'm pretty sure either him or Clausen will be transferring within a year anyways, one of them is going to be a bust.

Disagree big-time on AJ Green, with Beast-shon and Staffords massive cannon I think Green is going to help Georgia win a National Champioinship in the next two years.

Patrick Johnson, imo, will be the BEST and is least likely to bust. Never seen as fluid athlete as him, his size, at cornerback.

I could see Ethan Johnson busting with the injury history and NDs propensity to sub on the DL.

thebow305
01-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Brady Quinn was a first round pick in April. Thanks for playing, though.

Joey Harrington, Tim Couch, and Ryan Leaf were first round picks too....

Thanks for playing, though.

Joeyjr09
01-05-2008, 10:45 AM
I do like Jacoby Harris once he gains a little beef he could be a great one I liked what i saw on tape of him... I personally think he'll be playin on sundays maybe not at QB if he dosent gain weight but somewhere

Dude, If he doesn't play QB, he can't play anywhere else. He's slow as dirt. He can move around in the pocket and avoid rushers but he aint running away from anyone anytime soon.

It's QB or bust for him. And as much as I like the kid, I doubt he'll be anything more then a backup in the NFL.

andyjo672
01-05-2008, 10:45 AM
Joey Harrington, Tim Couch, and Ryan Leaf were first round picks too....

Thanks for playing, though.

That has nothing to do with it. The guy said that Crist would be a bust because of the coaching he'll receive. The other guy countered by saying Charlie Weis has a track record of producing good quarterbacks (which he does). If Charlie Weis turns Crist into a 1st round pick, he's done pretty damn well, and it has nothing to do with how well he performs in the Pros.

Michigan
01-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Dayne Crist or Shane Hale. Also, when did Omar Hunter become a 5*?

neko4
01-05-2008, 02:19 PM
First of all, im probably the only person here to have actually seen EJ play in person so yay me!
Nor do I think him, Pryor, or Crist will become busts.

CLong4Heisman
01-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Crist looks pretty good today.

I would say Boo Boo because he is 5-9 or Marcus Forston because he tends to take some plays off.

504 to ATL
01-05-2008, 07:41 PM
I would have to agree with Boo Boo, as you said he is small in stature.

Joeyjr09
01-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Crist looks pretty good today.

I would say Boo Boo because he is 5-9 or Marcus Forston because he tends to take some plays off.

Did you see Marcus Forston play today? His name was called a couple times for good plays, he was never ever pushed back from the LOS and he was constantly beating his man even if it didn't end in a sack.

He was called the best defensive player on the field during practice.

How on earth does that sound like a bust? If anything he is one of the more sure bets to contribute from day 1.

CLong4Heisman
01-06-2008, 09:59 AM
PRACTICE. He looked good in the game and didn't appear to take plays off. I just went with from what I have heard.

Joeyjr09
01-06-2008, 10:12 AM
PRACTICE. He looked good in the game and didn't appear to take plays off. I just went with from what I have heard.

So you heard someone say something about him and just assumed he'd be a bust?

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
01-06-2008, 03:54 PM

Why not? If you heard someone was lazy and didn't practice, wouldn't you think they would bust as well?

andyjo672
01-06-2008, 03:56 PM

Isn't that EXACTLY what this thread is about? We're posting our opinions on who we think will be a bust based upon the information that we have heard...just because you like the guy doesn't mean others have to.

Sniper
01-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Simply looking at Rivals only 5 stars...

Matt Patchan
DeVier Posey
Dayne Crist
Lucas Nix

CLong4Heisman
01-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Why does everybody keep bringing up Crist?

Sniper
01-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Why does everybody keep bringing up Crist?

Because he's got no one to block for him, for starters, and he may not beat out Clausen.

jballa838
01-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Because he's got no one to block for him, for starters, and he may not beat out Clausen.
i dont think he will.
I think of it this way.
2008: Clausen, Crist RDS
2009: Clausen, Crist back-up
2010: Clausen leaves early maybe, if not 2nd year for Crist.
2011: Crist=JR.
2012: Crist=Sr.
(this is not including any QB that ND recruits.)

WildDude
01-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Crist def does have talent he can scramble much better than Clausen i certainly will be rooting for him to beat out Clausen! hah

my bad seeing the Under Armor game i take back what i said on AJ Green he definately is a talent i mean the QB just chucked it up wherever and AJ would catch it aerobically, I just mentioned AJ because UGA doesnt have a great track record in producing WRs but AJ can surely break that stereotype... UGA WRs tend to be better in the NFL than college i have no doubt no matter how AJ's carrer goes at UGA he'll be sucessful in the NFL

Will Hill will be a bust he'll never play at UF

mqtirishfan
01-06-2008, 08:22 PM
my bad seeing the Under Armor game i take back what i said on AJ Green he definately is a talent i mean the QB just chucked it up wherever and AJ would catch it aerobically, I just mentioned AJ because UGA doesnt have a great track record in producing WRs but AJ can surely break that stereotype... UGA WRs tend to be better in the NFL than college i have no doubt no matter how AJ's carrer goes at UGA he'll be sucessful in the NFL

Since 2002, Georgia's gotten about 3 WRs rated as 4 stars, and no 5 star WRs. I don't think they'll blow it with Green.

WildDude
01-06-2008, 08:28 PM
well they blew it with Reggie Brown who was the last top tier WR they had the rest of them between are top ones, yes but not the caliber of those 2, the closest would have to be Mohammed Massaquoi but they had trouble making him elite even though his talent is top notch... i believe he does have a reception every game of his carrer or almost atleast but he still isnt close to realizing his potential...

BigJohn98
01-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Are you serious? Will Hill won't see playing time? Florida's secondary is horrible. He'll see a lot of time as a freshman.

Joeyjr09
01-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Isn't that EXACTLY what this thread is about? We're posting our opinions on who we think will be a bust based upon the information that we have heard...just because you like the guy doesn't mean others have to.

Actually, I'm basing my info on the video I have seen on the guys. Not on some dude on a website telling me a guy is lazy.

mqtirishfan
01-06-2008, 08:49 PM
well they blew it with Reggie Brown who was the last top tier WR they had the rest of them between are top ones, yes but not the caliber of those 2, the closest would have to be Mohammed Massaquoi but they had trouble making him elite even though his talent is top notch... i believe he does have a reception every game of his carrer or almost atleast but he still isnt close to realizing his potential...

They got Reggie Brown to a point where he was drafted in the 2nd round. And for Massaquoi, not everyone becomes an elite WR. AJ Green has more potential than Massaquoi, and might already be a better receiver.

VoteLynnSwan
01-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Actually, I'm basing my info on the video I have seen on the guys. Not on some dude on a website telling me a guy is lazy.

have you been watching entire games? Because i would venture a guess that you've been watching HL videos... which will obviously make him look like he never takes plays off.

I would trust "some dude on a website" if he's a scouting expert! But i guess of course you're a better talent scout than any of these "experts".

andyjo672
01-07-2008, 08:59 AM

That still doesn't refute what I said, that the point of this thread was to post your opinion on who you think will be a bust depending on the information you have. The guy heard your boy was lazy, and thinks he'll be a bust, and your man crush on him apparently makes you upset about this. And you've seen high light videos, which can be very misleading. I'm going with the recruiting experts opinion over yours.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
01-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Wasn't Sean Bailey a 5*, what happened to him?

Joeyjr09
01-07-2008, 12:45 PM
That still doesn't refute what I said, that the point of this thread was to post your opinion on who you think will be a bust depending on the information you have. The guy heard your boy was lazy, and thinks he'll be a bust, and your man crush on him apparently makes you upset about this. And you've seen high light videos, which can be very misleading. I'm going with the recruiting experts opinion over yours.

Actually when it comes to Marcus Forston, I've seen him play many times. I saw him against Boone, Southlake Carol and others.

Just cause I don't work for a scouting website doesn't mean I know nothing about football and can't formulate my own opinions about a kid.

Most of these so called scouting experts only watch HL tapes anyways as there is way too many kids to scout. This is why you see 1 star recruits jump to 3 star recruits overnight. The kid gets an offer. The scout looks at his tape and says, he looks like a 3 star and suddenly he gets bumped up in the rankings. Thats how the process works for them. they don't sit there and watch whole games of all these kids.

Please keep the joking and cut downs about man crushes to yourself. We are just talking football. There's no need for it. Ya'll wanna listen to a scout off of rivals thats fine. I'd rather look and see for myself instead of listening to a guy I've never met and have no idea what his background even is.

mqtirishfan
01-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Wasn't Sean Bailey a 5*, what happened to him?

4* on Rivals, I believe, but he tore his ACL, and had surgery again in November on it. Also had nagging hamstring issues in another season.

dRaFtDoRk
01-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Darrell Scott, depending on what school he goes to...

It's really anybody depending on which school they go to.

mqtirishfan
01-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Darrell Scott, depending on what school he goes to...

It's really anybody depending on which school they go to.

Where would he fail, exactly? Texas, where they produce top RBs all the time? Colorado, where they have had guys like Vickers and Brown? It makes no sense, unless you think he'd be the problem.

dRaFtDoRk
01-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Ok, first look at last few running backs out of Texas:

Ricky Williams
Jammal Charles
Selvin Young

And don't tell me that Chris Brown is a great player in the NFL.

We might have different views on the term "bust" when it comes to recruiting, but my defenition has a little something to do with Sundays as well as Saturdays.

VoteLynnSwan
01-07-2008, 04:00 PM

Ricky Williams
Jammal Charles
Selvin Young

We might have different views on the term "bust" when it comes to recruiting, but my defenition has a little something to do with Sundays as well as Saturdays.

this is about college football, not the NFL... i really don't understand your logic behind considering NFL success, and then make the claim that Jamaal Charles isn't a good runningback.

You also seem to be forgetting that Ricky Williams was the best RB in the NFL for a few years, and Selvin Young has hardly been given an opportunity to be successful in the NFL.

Chris Brown was a great college RB, and there's no reason to consider future NFL success in this discussion.

iowatreat54
01-07-2008, 04:14 PM

Ricky Williams
Jammal Charles
Selvin Young

add in Cedric Benson...but I also don't understand what success in the NFL has to do with being a bust in college...I mean, the only thing I can see is that if you make it to the NFL then you aren't a bust

VoteLynnSwan
01-07-2008, 04:27 PM
add in Cedric Benson...but I also don't understand what success in the NFL has to do with being a bust in college...I mean, the only thing I can see is that if you make it to the NFL then you aren't a bust

that last part may be a bit of a stretch, there have been cases where players have had an impact in the NFL after having little to no success in college.

RickNJ83
01-07-2008, 06:38 PM

Hate to jump in but wow. You say Quinn is horrible when he's barely played and then back it up by saying that all 1st round picks aren't good and comparing him to Akili Smith? Lets compare him to Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, etc etc etc. Thats about the same thing you're saying. When you give me a well thought out explanation on why Quinn is horrible let me know.

JT Jag
01-07-2008, 06:47 PM
I'll go with Michael Floyd per scout's rankings. Burton Scott per rivals.Burton Scott will NOT be a bust.

Hokie_Pokie08
01-07-2008, 07:02 PM
First of all, im probably the only person here to have actually seen EJ play in person so yay me!
Nor do I think him, Pryor, or Crist will become busts.

negative. i went to middle and high school with his older sister amber and my brother played basketball with him at kempsville middle before he went to bayside. he comes from a family of athletes and i wouldn't be surprised if he is able to succeed seeing as though the 757 has produced its fair share of good college qbs.

then again i could see him being a bust just as easily as him doing well.

RickNJ83
01-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Burton Scott will NOT be a bust.

Wow all this psychics on board.

BuddyCHRIST
01-29-2008, 10:41 AM

they're both black and going to FSU so that must be alike?! That couldn't be anymore ignorant, they aren't even close as players.

mqtirishfan
01-29-2008, 02:17 PM
they're both black and going to FSU so that must be alike?! That couldn't be anymore ignorant, they aren't even close as players.

I think he meant highly touted players who suck at the college level. (Which I totally disagree with)

BBIB
02-06-2008, 12:34 AM
Why the heck is everyone picking Will Hill?

BTW, Pryor is pretty must bust-proof.

6'4 230 with 4.4 speed. Maybe he doesn't make the NFL but he should dominate the college ranks with numbers like those.

504 to ATL
02-06-2008, 12:41 AM
6'4 230 with 4.4 speed. Maybe he doesn't make the NFL but he should dominate the college ranks with numbers like those.

Hi Vince Young.

BBIB
02-06-2008, 01:14 AM
Hi Vince Young.

Vince Young Plus.

VY didn't come to campus at 230 and when he bulked up to that weight he only ran a 4.5.

He also had as many picks as TDs his first few years. I bet Pryor is better than that.

SchizophrenicBatman
02-06-2008, 01:32 AM
Pryor isn't bust proof if he decides to play basketball in college

Sniper
02-06-2008, 06:49 AM
If Pryor ends up at PSU, I'll say Pryor. Penn State can't develop elite HS skill players for ****.

BBIB
02-08-2008, 01:21 PM
If Pryor ends up at PSU, I'll say Pryor. Penn State can't develop elite HS skill players for ****.

Ever heard of Michael Robinson?

Pryor with his freakish athleiticism could even lead PSU to the NC.

NMUBurner22
02-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Darrell Scott.

VoteLynnSwan
02-08-2008, 03:59 PM

Michael Robinson is the best you can come up with? The guy is playing runningback now... he hardly developed into an NFL quarterback.

Sniper
02-08-2008, 04:27 PM

I did. He of the magical 52% completion percentage and fifth round pick as a RB? PSU was only good that year because their D was sick....

But not sick enough to beat Michigan :)

swollja
04-04-2008, 05:21 PM
Why the heck is everyone picking Will Hill?

BTW, Pryor is pretty must bust-proof.

i highly doubt he breaks 4.6 when it comes time for for the nfl combine

they had xay at 4.5 on rivals and he ran a 4.8 at fsu's pro day

keylime_5
04-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Pryor actually is about 6-6 or at least 6-5.5 and runs around 4.4 in the forty legitamitely. That's not what makes him a special QB prospect though, as good as he is at running it is said that he is definitely a better thrower at this point in his career than Vince was coming out of high school, and I think Jim Tressel can develop QBs a lot better than Texas does in terms of passing. He make Craig Krenzel and Troy Smith a lot better and you could see even the difference in Steve Bellisari's passing when Tressel came to tOSU.

Cigaro
04-04-2008, 11:10 PM
DaQuan Bowers won't amount to the hype. I'm not saying he'll bust, but he won't leave college as the #2 or #1 player like he entered, not close.

swollja
04-05-2008, 12:11 AM
Pryor actually is about 6-6 or at least 6-5.5 and runs around 4.4 in the forty legitamitely. That's not what makes him a special QB prospect though, as good as he is at running it is said that he is definitely a better thrower at this point in his career than Vince was coming out of high school, and I think Jim Tressel can develop QBs a lot better than Texas does in terms of passing. He make Craig Krenzel and Troy Smith a lot better and you could see even the difference in Steve Bellisari's passing when Tressel came to tOSU.

im not saying he wont be good or isnt fast, i just doubt a legit 4.4 at his size

i

swollja
04-05-2008, 12:12 AM
DaQuan Bowers won't amount to the hype. I'm not saying he'll bust, but he won't leave college as the #2 or #1 player like he entered, not close.

that rarely happens

504 to ATL
04-05-2008, 03:12 AM
that rarely happens

what being the 1/2 best player upon leaving, or amounting to not much in college?

keylime_5
04-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Chris Wells was #1, Adrian Peterson was #1, Vince Young was #1. I think those guys were all in the top 2 of their classes.

reigle9
04-05-2008, 10:58 AM
im not saying he wont be good or isnt fast, i just doubt a legit 4.4 at his size

i

It's legit. 0% doubt.

Cigaro
04-06-2008, 08:27 PM
that rarely happens

Hence the not close part.

swollja
04-09-2008, 07:30 PM
It's legit. 0% doubt.

says who???

LonghornsLegend
04-09-2008, 08:08 PM

Do you actually know what your talking about or are you just coming up with random thoughts...

Do you know how developed VY was as a passer out of HS? Because he redshirted and im pretty sure you didnt see many of his HS games, because if you did he looked incredible throwing the ball, much like Pryor now, point of that is it means nothing...How about lets see Pryor throw just one pass before we hear you tell us how much better of a passer he is just because he looked good doing it in high school vs mediocre competition(that doesnt equal in comparison to the teams Houston Madison faced).

How do you know his 40 time legitimately? Did he run recently at a camp that you have his reported time? Ive seen him listed as high as 4.59, lets be realistic and know that those times are going to be inflated all the way through until he decides to go pro, thats how it is for everyone he's no different...Unless you have some report of him working out and getting timed its just hearsay, your word doesnt make it any more right.

And as far as developing QB's, you dont think it has anything to do with it being two completely different offense, systems, and QB's who are recruited into those systems? Alot of the QB's we recruit are not highly developed passers coming out of HS, it doesnt have anything to do with one school developing QB's better, it would be different if we ran the same offense and went after the same type of QB's.

BufFan71
04-09-2008, 08:52 PM
this is about college football, not the NFL... i really don't understand your logic behind considering NFL success, and then make the claim that Jamaal Charles isn't a good runningback.

You also seem to be forgetting that Ricky Williams was the best RB in the NFL for a few years, and Selvin Young has hardly been given an opportunity to be successful in the NFL.

Chris Brown was a great college RB, and there's no reason to consider future NFL success in this discussion.

add in Rashaan Salaam
who was a beast in college

Thunder&Lightning
04-10-2008, 05:06 PM

couldnt have said it any better.

Scientist McKnowitall
04-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Pryor has been the most celebrated and hyped recruit ever in my opinion. It's almost gotten to the point that if he doesn't come in and win 3 Heismans, and 3 or 4 National Championships people are going to be disappointed. He has all the tools to do that but it seems like he's a hardheaded, self centered kid that's been hearing he's the second coming since he was 13.
When it's all said and done and he stays out of trouble he will be an above average quarterback but won't put up the gaudy stats everyone is expecting.

keylime_5
04-17-2008, 03:14 PM
couldnt have said it any better.

hmm...considering how good a runner he already is I don't think his bust potential is as high as a pocket passer who can only pass. Worst case scenario he is a guy like Pat White who is a great running QB who can't pass. Best case scenario he is the next Vince Young, Mike Vick(on the field anyways) Troy Smith or better. The way Tressel has developed his QBs as passers I expect big things from Terrelle, he will be in a good situation here.

Larry121283
04-21-2008, 12:55 PM
Matt Patchan, especially if he continues to be moved around for the first two years of his career while at UF.

djp
04-28-2008, 04:04 PM
I completely agree Larry. Patchan is a huge bust candidate considering his size and the fact that he already is playing defense at UF when they recruited him to play OL (I know he wanted to play both sides of the ball, but everyone knows if he was good enough to stay at tackle he would have done so).

Another monstrous bust candidate is DeAndre Brown, he has major grade issues, so I am questioning his ability to stay eligible at Southern Miss (who has taken some kids like that before, and failed to keep them eligible)

srv fan
04-28-2008, 08:45 PM
The above poster is on to something good. It's pretty much impossible to predict how the vast majority of players will develop over 4-5 years of physical growth, personal development, changing team situations, etc. Therefore, I think it's pretty silly to evaluate players bust potential based on their HS football performance. There is just no way to know how players will adapt to the college game.

The one predictor that actually has some accuracy and value has nothing to do with football. Players with serious off the field issues have a way higher bust rate than normal. Drugs, violence etc. have probably caused a lot of really talented players to underachieve.

I have no idea which players have off the field issues from this years crop, though Pryor starting fights in basketball games and Artesting the crowd might count. Anyone know who has serious issues?

Brent
07-11-2008, 07:59 PM
Garrett Gilbert, just dont think he's going to turn out.

keylime_5
07-11-2008, 08:18 PM
Do you actually know what your talking about or are you just coming up with random thoughts...

Do you know how developed VY was as a passer out of HS? Because he redshirted and im pretty sure you didnt see many of his HS games, because if you did he looked incredible throwing the ball, much like Pryor now, point of that is it means nothing...How about lets see Pryor throw just one pass before we hear you tell us how much better of a passer he is just because he looked good doing it in high school vs mediocre competition(that doesnt equal in comparison to the teams Houston Madison faced).

It's pretty much an accepted opinion amongst the recruiting people that Pryor was a more developed passer at this point than Vince was. Vince was apparently mostly a runner with a good arm who didn't do as much through the air as Terrelle can.

And as far as developing QB's, you dont think it has anything to do with it being two completely different offense, systems, and QB's who are recruited into those systems? Alot of the QB's we recruit are not highly developed passers coming out of HS, it doesnt have anything to do with one school developing QB's better, it would be different if we ran the same offense and went after the same type of QB's.

Vince played in a high school offense at Texas, that gimmick zone read option that won him a title. Tressel with Troy Smith took a guy who wasn't a good passer and put him in an offense that was more prostyle, although he did have many 4 and 5 WR shotgun spread sets to utilize the speed and vast WR arsenal. I think in Tressel's offense it's safe to say Pryor has a better chance to develop into a good passing QB than he would in that spread option.

By the way in 7 on 7s (I know they don't mean anything) I hear Pryor has already seen improvement with his passing, but I think it was more just him being more confident and less nervous than he was the first few days. If Pryor can resolve some footwork flaws and learn to read defenses better like any freshman QB he will be well on his way to being a good passer to go with his running ability.

kwilk103
07-11-2008, 08:43 PM
7 on 7s? of course hes gonna look good

as someone whos seen him live, he has all the tools to be a great player, but he has to work on a couple things

1. his delivery---its a bit flawed, but maybe he can make it work like young

2. dont know how to say this, but his competition was pretty weak; a lot of times he just used his athleticism to take over a game; he wont get away with it all the time in d-1

3. kinda point 2b; he was hardly (if ever) asked to read a defense, audible, etc; like young, hes not the smartest kid, so i dont know how much that will affect him

he has all the potential; i feel it wont be til his jr year were he takes over like young

keylime_5
07-11-2008, 09:14 PM
Well Pryor did have a GPA near 3.5 so I wouldn't say he's not smart. But regarding 7 on 7s I just wanted to remark on the fact that he's seen a little improvement in his passing already with the help of Boeckman, not that he looks good or anything. But people can see from what he has shown where the hype comes from. Big time talent no doubt, major potential with his arm as well as his feet.

ATLDirtyBirds
07-11-2008, 09:26 PM
Saw a few Will Hill posts looking through this thread. I'm not sure why... I personally think the kids going to be great. Seen him play a few times.

kwilk103
07-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Well Pryor did have a GPA near 3.5 so I wouldn't say he's not smart. But regarding 7 on 7s I just wanted to remark on the fact that he's seen a little improvement in his passing already with the help of Boeckman, not that he looks good or anything. But people can see from what he has shown where the hype comes from. Big time talent no doubt, major potential with his arm as well as his feet.

his hs is below avg for academics...its easy to get good grades there

BufFan71
07-12-2008, 07:53 AM
Matt Patchan, especially if he continues to be moved around for the first two years of his career while at UF.

trust me, the kid is soft

and he is a giant crybaby, who is insane, in a bad way

TRUST ME

Forenci
07-12-2008, 08:18 AM
Hmm, it's going to be interesting to see what the Buckeyes do with Pryor this year. Should be fun to watch.

Sniper
07-12-2008, 11:07 AM
his hs is below avg for academics...its easy to get good grades there

It's also easy to get good grades when you're the #1 prospect in America.

mqtirishfan
07-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Saw a few Will Hill posts looking through this thread. I'm not sure why... I personally think the kids going to be great. Seen him play a few times.

I think people are concerned with his lack of a position.

Sniper
07-12-2008, 01:31 PM

I thought he was a safety through and through.

ATLDirtyBirds
07-12-2008, 02:14 PM

He's a FS, for sure. Right now he's 6'3 and 205 and has tremendous ball skills. He just played QB because he was atheltically ahead of everyone on the field, and ran a ton. I'm pretty sure in both his Jr. and Sr. years he had more rushing scores then throws. I've heard he pretty much could have gone anywhere as whatever, but he wanted to be a saftey because QB's were too pretty and he loved to hit people, or something to that effect.

StrongSide97
07-16-2008, 06:30 PM
Based on Rivals.com's 5-Star Prospects:

Out of the Top 10, I think the most likely is Russell Shepherd

Out of all of them either Shepherd or Morgan Moses

Brent
07-20-2008, 03:12 PM
Out of the Top 10, I think the most likely is Russell Shepherd
I could see this because he didnt pass that much in HS but I guess it will depend on how often he's asked to throw at LSU and how well he develops in their system. From what I recalls it's a very pro-style system, no?

wicket
07-20-2008, 03:34 PM
So that I hope nobody makes the mistake again because it is all over the threat. A recruit doesn't bust if he is drafted for the NFL anyway. If he had a good college career he did wel and did not bust. He could bust as a draftee but that is not the issue here. So guys quit calling people like ricky williams and brady quinn busts. Players playing like those guys did in college is the best you can HOPE for in a 5* recruit.

ps this message is obviously not directed to the people who already got the message.