PDA

View Full Version : San Diego vs. Tennessee -- Playoffs

JK17
12-31-2007, 12:55 AM
So we did it, we got the number three seed and now we get Tennessee coming to us at home. I'm not all that concerned with Tenneesee, but I am concerned with how much of a toll it may take on us physically (remember all the injuries we had last time we played the Titans)...I'd imagine its better for us if Vince can't go, the Statue Collins in the pocket would make our defenses job much easier...plus we already have beaten them, in a game where, although inexcsable, we played like **** for three quarters...

What are all your thoughts on the game?

SuperKevin
12-31-2007, 03:55 AM
So we did it, we got the number three seed and now we get Tennessee coming to us at home. I'm not all that concerned with Tenneesee, but I am concerned with how much of a toll it may take on us physically (remember all the injuries we had last time we played the Titans)...I'd imagine its better for us if Vince can't go, the Statue Collins in the pocket would make our defenses job much easier...plus we already have beaten them, in a game where, although inexcsable, we played like **** for three quarters...

What are all your thoughts on the game?

Personally I think this is a much better matchup than the Browns. I think the Chargers will be able to put a ton of pressure on Vince and make him try to do something on the run which will lead to him either being hurt or make a bad decision. It's also comforting knowing you won't have to go up against Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow Jr

Average OT LB
12-31-2007, 03:56 AM
I thought rivers played shaky the for quite some time then got into a groove.. if anything thats what ive come to learn.. rivers just seems like 'that guy'.. you know.. 'that guy' who taunted cutler... 'that guy' who challenged raider fans... 'that guy' who throws floaters to our receivers and because they're so big and strong they can just stand there and jump and make the catch and whoopee doo and make rivers look good and then LT scores and then we win! good sentence eh?

oh btw for all the pro rivers special buddy pen pal fans ... can't spell bolts without LT...

I tried spelling it with 'PR' and it doesnt seem to work..

all in good fun btw ^^

JK17
12-31-2007, 12:41 PM
I thought rivers played shaky the for quite some time then got into a groove.. if anything thats what ive come to learn.. rivers just seems like 'that guy'.. you know.. 'that guy' who taunted cutler... 'that guy' who challenged raider fans... 'that guy' who throws floaters to our receivers and because they're so big and strong they can just stand there and jump and make the catch and whoopee doo and make rivers look good and then LT scores and then we win! good sentence eh?

oh btw for all the pro rivers special buddy pen pal fans ... can't spell bolts without LT...

I tried spelling it with 'PR' and it doesnt seem to work..

all in good fun btw ^^

I thought he was 'that guy' who has a 25-7 record over the past two years...or 'that guy' who hasn't thrown an interception in the past 3 games...or 'that guy' who led us to a comeback win on the road down two scores in the fourth against the team we are playing...or 'that guy' who actaully ended up with decent numbers for the season, and a not awful TD:INT ratio at 21:15...or 'that guy' who posted a 100+ QB rating the past 3 games.

All in good fun, ;)

Actaully though, as much as Rivers is a key to the postseason for us, I don't think it should be overlooked that we do have the advantage IMO in this game when it comes to QB's. I'll take Rivers over VY or Collins anyday. Say what you want about VY, he makes more mistakes then Rivers, has about a 1:2 TD/INT ratio, thrown more interceptions in less time (injuries for part of the year), and his only saving grace is completing 2% more of his passes. Anything you say about VY winning can also be said about Rivers, so in a battle of QBs, I do feel much more confident in ours.

sdpads24
12-31-2007, 03:05 PM
I think the key as always will be the play of Rivers. If he doesn't make any key mistakes, I think we win easily. Its going to be a pretty intense game and hopefully we can get some early points on the board because I don't see Tenn scoring more than 20 points.

Average OT LB
01-03-2008, 02:41 AM
I thought he was 'that guy' who has a 25-7 record over the past two years...or 'that guy' who hasn't thrown an interception in the past 3 games...or 'that guy' who led us to a comeback win on the road down two scores in the fourth against the team we are playing...or 'that guy' who actaully ended up with decent numbers for the season, and a not awful TD:INT ratio at 21:15...or 'that guy' who posted a 100+ QB rating the past 3 games.

All in good fun, ;)

Actaully though, as much as Rivers is a key to the postseason for us, I don't think it should be overlooked that we do have the advantage IMO in this game when it comes to QB's. I'll take Rivers over VY or Collins anyday. Say what you want about VY, he makes more mistakes then Rivers, has about a 1:2 TD/INT ratio, thrown more interceptions in less time (injuries for part of the year), and his only saving grace is completing 2% more of his passes. Anything you say about VY winning can also be said about Rivers, so in a battle of QBs, I do feel much more confident in ours.

Well since you gave rivers a win/loss record like a pitcher in baseball, i guess that means you believe quarterbacks are the, to use the common word, 'key' to victory. Now let me correct your stats for a second.. vince youngs TD/INT ratio is 12/17.. hardly 1:2...

and if we're comparing quarterbacks.. vince young earned his 'winner' title because he found ways to win games on a bad team.. rivers has had a total of what? about 20 probowlers ... hes been surrounded by arguably most talented team ever (chargers broke the record last year for most probowlers sent in one year), his entire career. that is what you can say for vince young that you cant say for rivers; he did it all by himself.

Vince young went his rookie year, with nobody else.. .and the titans have 3 this year and now they're a playoff team.. like a pitcher in baseball, quarterbacks get judged on the ability to win the game.. Vince has shown that... to say we have the advantage may be correct, i wont deny it.. (especially considering Vince may be hurt) but to say PR is better ("I'll take Rivers over VY any day") is blind ignorance...

bergo23
01-03-2008, 08:03 AM
I will chime in of what I have seen of VY so far in his career....the Titans D has carried this team the last two years not VY. Sure he won a game or two last year against the likes of Houston on big runs......but if you shut down his run game (and he may have shut it down himself with the quad injury).....and he doesn't scare ANYBODY.....the guy is a HORRIBLE passer, did you see that pass to Cro in our last game........Cro was the only guy in that ZIPCODE!!! I agree, I would have been much more worried about the Browns, or even Kerry Collins playoff experience........remember he has taken a team deep into the playoffs with the Giants. Lastly, I don't like his attitude, he is a primadonna (ask Norm Chow).....this guy isn't leading the Titans to any SuperBowls, his makeup and 6 on the Wonderlic doesn't help him any.

I am not worried about Vince Young, but rather that MONSTER DLine Tennessee has...but Haynesworth and that hammy is not what he is at 100%, course Haynesworth at 75% is better than most Dtackles at 100%.

Average OT LB
01-03-2008, 08:52 AM
I will chime in of what I have seen of VY so far in his career....the Titans D has carried this team the last two years not VY. Sure he won a game or two last year against the likes of Houston on big runs......but if you shut down his run game (and he may have shut it down himself with the quad injury).....and he doesn't scare ANYBODY.....the guy is a HORRIBLE passer, did you see that pass to Cro in our last game........Cro was the only guy in that ZIPCODE!!! I agree, I would have been much more worried about the Browns, or even Kerry Collins playoff experience........remember he has taken a team deep into the playoffs with the Giants. Lastly, I don't like his attitude, he is a primadonna (ask Norm Chow).....this guy isn't leading the Titans to any SuperBowls, his makeup and 6 on the Wonderlic doesn't help him any.

I am not worried about Vince Young, but rather that MONSTER DLine Tennessee has...but Haynesworth and that hammy is not what he is at 100%, course Haynesworth at 75% is better than most Dtackles at 100%.

i agree with the last part of that entry-- the scarry thing about the titans is the d-line not vince young. Thats just like what i would say as a titan fan, the scarry thing about hte chargers is LT and the defense.. i would be lickin my chops seeing the immobile incompetent qb we got.. Next year will really settle the debate as to who is better, young or rivers. Young is all about running and being dynamic.. he wasnt doing too hot before his injury, but when he tweaked the quad things got really ****** up for him.. hes at least got an explanation for sucking.. that and the madden curse...

Whats rivers explanation for sucking? they asked him to throw more... and he took a step back.. basically we asked rivers to step up his production, we gave him more chance to succeed.. and he somehow turned that, coupled with 8 probowlers, and slumped... i just cant explain that...

we'll find out next year...

KRS1
01-03-2008, 04:47 PM
i agree with the last part of that entry-- the scarry thing about the titans is the d-line not vince young. Thats just like what i would say as a titan fan, the scarry thing about hte chargers is LT and the defense.. i would be lickin my chops seeing the immobile incompetent qb we got.. Next year will really settle the debate as to who is better, young or rivers. Young is all about running and being dynamic.. he wasnt doing too hot before his injury, but when he tweaked the quad things got really ****** up for him.. hes at least got an explanation for sucking.. that and the madden curse...

Whats rivers explanation for sucking? they asked him to throw more... and he took a step back.. basically we asked rivers to step up his production, we gave him more chance to succeed.. and he somehow turned that, coupled with 8 probowlers, and slumped... i just cant explain that...

we'll find out next year...

Were you even watching this season? If you had you might be able to explain it easily. Rivers struggled because they stopped running and throwing to LT and forgot how to pass block. Rivers is not mobile that's not a secret (he came into the season still suffering from a bad ankle injury at the end of last season) but when defenses don't have to worry about the best player in the league (because the coach was not calling play for him) and the o-line was over matched by the extra guys being sent how do you put all the blame on Rivers? He was running for his life at the start of the season. Once defenses started playing honest because LT's number was getting called again Rivers play stepped up as well. He obviously didn't play well but with the scheme being run early this year what did you expect? I don't think anyone is mistaking Rivers for Joe Montana at this point but it's really unfair that all these people in San Diego seem to really harp on the guy this season. He came into the season not 100% he's playing on a sprained knee now his offensive line is having a crappy year protecting him and his overall number are not nearly as bad as you would think listening to all the idiots running around San Diego right now.

TitanHope
01-03-2008, 10:58 PM

Last year, we had the last ranked defense in the league. The wins this year aren't all Young's doing, but he had a big part with last year's record. And I'm afraid you underestimate his passing ability. Anyway, you are right about our DLine. It's been our bread and butter this season.

Anyway, I'm not expecting the Titans to do very well. Do I think they can win? Yes, but due to all the injuries we've had (5 starters on IR), including to Vince Young and Nick Harper, both of which could miss the game, I'm not banking on it. I am banking on an extremely physical game though. Last game, there were no harsh feelings between the teams and it was a brutal game. But after Merriman's comments on Jeff Fisher allegendly ordering a hit on him, I think the Titans players may use that as bulletin material. It doesn't matter who wins this game, because the winner will be too beaten and bruised to win the next week.

KRS1
01-04-2008, 12:14 AM
Last year, we had the last ranked defense in the league. The wins this year aren't all Young's doing, but he had a big part with last year's record. And I'm afraid you underestimate his passing ability. Anyway, you are right about our DLine. It's been our bread and butter this season.

Anyway, I'm not expecting the Titans to do very well. Do I think they can win? Yes, but due to all the injuries we've had (5 starters on IR), including to Vince Young and Nick Harper, both of which could miss the game, I'm not banking on it. I am banking on an extremely physical game though. Last game, there were no harsh feelings between the teams and it was a brutal game. But after Merriman's comments on Jeff Fisher allegendly ordering a hit on him, I think the Titans players may use that as bulletin material. It doesn't matter who wins this game, because the winner will be too beaten and bruised to win the next week.

Honestly I would be more worried about Shawne Merriman using this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubfb8OM6Mzw as motivation than the Titans with his comments. The NFL fines on Mawae and David Stewart pretty much speak for themselves. Merriman would scare the hell out of me on sunday if I was a Titan fan.

Average OT LB
01-04-2008, 01:08 AM
Were you even watching this season? If you had you might be able to explain it easily. Rivers struggled because they stopped running and throwing to LT and forgot how to pass block. Rivers is not mobile that's not a secret (he came into the season still suffering from a bad ankle injury at the end of last season) but when defenses don't have to worry about the best player in the league (because the coach was not calling play for him) and the o-line was over matched by the extra guys being sent how do you put all the blame on Rivers? He was running for his life at the start of the season. Once defenses started playing honest because LT's number was getting called again Rivers play stepped up as well. He obviously didn't play well but with the scheme being run early this year what did you expect? I don't think anyone is mistaking Rivers for Joe Montana at this point but it's really unfair that all these people in San Diego seem to really harp on the guy this season. He came into the season not 100% he's playing on a sprained knee now his offensive line is having a crappy year protecting him and his overall number are not nearly as bad as you would think listening to all the idiots running around San Diego right now.

Now im sure your upset about all the san diego fans harping on rivers, and you want for all that senseless garbage and rambling to stop... but what explanation have you given? LT stepped up his play and rivers got better? now you say I havent been watching? The way to beat the chargers is to put guys in the box to stop LT, and to blitz rivers cause hes one of the worst quarterbacks in the league when under siege. WEll just so happens those things are the same thing--- all you gotta do is put guys in the box and we struggle. Now you say LT stepped up his game and Rivers got better? so, wait... Rivers went from not being able to help himself, to having all the time in the world to throw so therefore he cant mess up ... and why? because of LT...

Perhaps you just say my comment and wanted to take a shot at me.. i get that.. but my stance all along on rivers isnt that he is so terrible we should trade him cut him blah blah.. not that hes the worst qb in the league.. not even bottom 10 or 15.. NOOO.. my stance is and always has been - that its LT that makes the team go. Rivers is a pawn. I see him as big ben on the superbowl steelers.. So when i see JK17 (sorry to call you out bud) giving reasons to why Rivers is good.. i just cant stand that.. the man isnt a real probowler.. not last year.. not this year.. maybe down the road, hes still young.. but the guy isnt better than brees, hes not an elite qb, and he doesnt deserve praise for just not messing up....

KRS1
01-04-2008, 01:59 AM
Now im sure your upset about all the san diego fans harping on rivers, and you want for all that senseless garbage and rambling to stop... but what explanation have you given? LT stepped up his play and rivers got better? now you say I havent been watching? The way to beat the chargers is to put guys in the box to stop LT, and to blitz rivers cause hes one of the worst quarterbacks in the league when under siege. WEll just so happens those things are the same thing--- all you gotta do is put guys in the box and we struggle. Now you say LT stepped up his game and Rivers got better? so, wait... Rivers went from not being able to help himself, to having all the time in the world to throw so therefore he cant mess up ... and why? because of LT...

Perhaps you just say my comment and wanted to take a shot at me.. i get that.. but my stance all along on rivers isnt that he is so terrible we should trade him cut him blah blah.. not that hes the worst qb in the league.. not even bottom 10 or 15.. NOOO.. my stance is and always has been - that its LT that makes the team go. Rivers is a pawn. I see him as big ben on the superbowl steelers.. So when i see JK17 (sorry to call you out bud) giving reasons to why Rivers is good.. i just cant stand that.. the man isnt a real probowler.. not last year.. not this year.. maybe down the road, hes still young.. but the guy isnt better than brees, hes not an elite qb, and he doesnt deserve praise for just not messing up....

See you have part of the scenario correct, LT does make this team go. He determines our success. The other part is where you are all jacked up. For starters putting guys in the box is not the way to stop the Chargers. Every game teams stack the box and LT still gets his yards and gets his TD's. Do you think teams didn't stack the box last year? Watch the games, they did and they still do. The problem is that early this season LT was getting 15 touches and the rest was left to Rivers. What happens when they stack the box and blitz and you continue to try and throw the ball while getting poor pass blocking? YOUR QB PLAY SUFFERS. I never said LT stepped his play up what I said was "Once defenses started playing honest because LT's number was getting called again Rivers play stepped up as well". Let me break that down for you. Basically once the ball stopped going to LT opposing defenses only had to account for Rivers. Once LT started getting the ball again opposing defenses couldn't do that so Rivers play improved. What's harder to do cover 1 guy or cover 2? Take a look at last season, Teams ignored Rivers and focused completely on LT and Rivers had an outstanding year. It works both ways.

I'm not trying to take shots at you at all but I think it's dumb of you to sit here and ignore some pretty glaring facts of this season. Yes Rivers played like crap early but look at the reasons why and it cannot be totally blamed on him. I blame most of the struggles on coaching. Turner completely ignored the run (and LT as a receiver) at the beginning of the season so what did opposing teams do? They went straight after Rivers. He sucked for a reason. Since we started giving LT the ball 20 to 30 touches a game and since we got Chris Chambers Rivers play at QB has been fine. Not spectacular but completely acceptable.

TitanHope
01-04-2008, 02:58 PM
Honestly I would be more worried about Shawne Merriman using this as motivation than the Titans with his comments. The NFL fines on Mawae and David Stewart pretty much speak for themselves. Merriman would scare the hell out of me on sunday if I was a Titan fan.

http://www.titansonline.com/news/newsmain_detail.php?PRKey=5523

"I think the situation of the things happening before was really blown out of proportion, really" Merriman said Wednesday, when the AFC West champion Chargers (11-5) began preparing to face a Tennessee team they beat 23-17 in overtime on Dec. 9. "If any payback is due, the league already took care of it. I'm over it. I'm ready to go out and play football."

Merriman is a great player. One of, if not the, best pass-rushers in the league. That alone is worrisome. But, don't make him out to be some unstoppable, rampaging force. He'll probably be double teamed due to Young's quad injury.

Besides, due to Merriman's accusation of Fisher, I bet the officials will be calling this game very closely. No one's gonna get away with anything.

KRS1
01-04-2008, 03:46 PM
http://www.titansonline.com/news/newsmain_detail.php?PRKey=5523

Merriman is a great player. One of, if not the, best pass-rushers in the league. That alone is worrisome. But, don't make him out to be some unstoppable, rampaging force. He'll probably be double teamed due to Young's quad injury.

Besides, due to Merriman's accusation of Fisher, I bet the officials will be calling this game very closely. No one's gonna get away with anything.

I don't think he is going to try to get away with anything and in the way of unstoppable rampaging defensive players goes I would put Merriman right up there with anyone in the league. Obviously he can be stopped and targeted but that leaves opportunites for the line and backers to succeed. I personally don't think the Titans will try to throw a whole bunch anyways. If they double team Merriman, Shaun Phillips on the other side will eat them alive. Vince is not a great passer at this point in his career and his legs may not be in the best shape for him to run around and do what Vince Young does so I expect a heavy dose of Lendale White, Henry and Brown.

All I was responding to was your comment that the Titans players would use Shawne's comments as bulletin board material. My point is that after the cheap shot Mawae and Stewart took on him, he is the one who will be extra jacked up for this game. Words are one thing to get mad about but those guys making a legit attempt to hurt him is something else all together.

What worries me is Haynesworth and Vanden Bosch. McNeil, Dielman and Manumaleuna are going to have to figure out a way to stop them. The only point we got any relief last time was down the stretch when Vanden Bosch was winded and Haynesworth was rotating plays on and off the field.

Average OT LB
01-04-2008, 07:04 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ArRCYukCjzOtGqXWEvx7xrRDubYF?slug=ms-thegameface010408&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

good long article on the chargers

Average OT LB
01-04-2008, 07:14 PM
See you have part of the scenario correct, LT does make this team go. He determines our success. The other part is where you are all jacked up. For starters putting guys in the box is not the way to stop the Chargers. Every game teams stack the box and LT still gets his yards and gets his TD's. Do you think teams didn't stack the box last year? Watch the games, they did and they still do. The problem is that early this season LT was getting 15 touches and the rest was left to Rivers. What happens when they stack the box and blitz and you continue to try and throw the ball while getting poor pass blocking? YOUR QB PLAY SUFFERS. I never said LT stepped his play up what I said was "Once defenses started playing honest because LT's number was getting called again Rivers play stepped up as well". Let me break that down for you. Basically once the ball stopped going to LT opposing defenses only had to account for Rivers. Once LT started getting the ball again opposing defenses couldn't do that so Rivers play improved. What's harder to do cover 1 guy or cover 2? Take a look at last season, Teams ignored Rivers and focused completely on LT and Rivers had an outstanding year. It works both ways.

I'm not trying to take shots at you at all but I think it's dumb of you to sit here and ignore some pretty glaring facts of this season. Yes Rivers played like crap early but look at the reasons why and it cannot be totally blamed on him. I blame most of the struggles on coaching. Turner completely ignored the run (and LT as a receiver) at the beginning of the season so what did opposing teams do? They went straight after Rivers. He sucked for a reason. Since we started giving LT the ball 20 to 30 touches a game and since we got Chris Chambers Rivers play at QB has been fine. Not spectacular but completely acceptable.

so then we agree that rivers is a constant and its LT that drives the success of the team. that part is clear. In the beginning of the year the box was stacked and to avoid that there were pass plays called, because 'the book' tells you that if there are guys in the box your not gonna run well. Marty was good last year because he ignored the book and ran anyway. Norv was the one who decided to throw more, and that was primarily why we suffered- because we relied on rivers.

I think my position is clear now, I think Rivers is an average quarterback. Any stats he accumulates i attribute to the success around him and the system he is in. His TD to turnover ratio is 22:21. I don't like that. When he gets praise, ill be all over it to make sure people know that..

TitanHope
01-04-2008, 08:47 PM
All I was responding to was your comment that the Titans players would use Shawne's comments as bulletin board material. My point is that after the cheap shot Mawae and Stewart took on him, he is the one who will be extra jacked up for this game. Words are one thing to get mad about but those guys making a legit attempt to hurt him is something else all together.

What worries me is Haynesworth and Vanden Bosch. McNeil, Dielman and Manumaleuna are going to have to figure out a way to stop them. The only point we got any relief last time was down the stretch when Vanden Bosch was winded and Haynesworth was rotating plays on and off the field.

Stewart and Mawae's late hit's motivation was from Merriman decleating their QB unnecessarily. It wasn't like they were unprovoked. But, we're talking about a single player being upset about 2 OL finishing a block 2 second after the play ends and a player calling out an entire team's head coach. I'm talking about an entire team being angry, not just one player.

Anyway, I doubt Fisher uses Merriman as bulletin board material. Fish even said he voted for Merriman for the Pro Bowl. But whether the offense uses this as motivation to go 100% on blocking assignments is another story.

Either way, I'm just glad the Titans are in the Playoffs. Good luck to ya'lls team in the game, and here's hoping that there aren't any injuries. *cheers*

Average OT LB
01-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Stewart and Mawae's late hit's motivation was from Merriman decleating their QB unnecessarily. It wasn't like they were unprovoked. But, we're talking about a single player being upset about 2 OL finishing a block 2 second after the play ends and a player calling out an entire team's head coach. I'm talking about an entire team being angry, not just one player.

Anyway, I doubt Fisher uses Merriman as bulletin board material. Fish even said he voted for Merriman for the Pro Bowl. But whether the offense uses this as motivation to go 100% on blocking assignments is another story.

Either way, I'm just glad the Titans are in the Playoffs. Good luck to ya'lls team in the game, and here's hoping that there aren't any injuries. *cheers*

anybody but the patriots id say... if we lose i wish you all the luck..

Xenos
01-05-2008, 12:42 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ArRCYukCjzOtGqXWEvx7xrRDubYF?slug=ms-thegameface010408&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

good long article on the chargers
Michael Silver is an idiot.

Xenos
01-05-2008, 12:49 AM
so then we agree that rivers is a constant and its LT that drives the success of the team. that part is clear. In the beginning of the year the box was stacked and to avoid that there were pass plays called, because 'the book' tells you that if there are guys in the box your not gonna run well. Marty was good last year because he ignored the book and ran anyway. Norv was the one who decided to throw more, and that was primarily why we suffered- because we relied on rivers.

I think my position is clear now, I think Rivers is an average quarterback. Any stats he accumulates i attribute to the success around him and the system he is in. His TD to turnover ratio is 22:21. I don't like that. When he gets praise, ill be all over it to make sure people know that..

Rivers and LT need each other to do well. That's all I have to say. Rivers is still a young QB and he doesn't have to carry the team yet, but he has shown flashes of being able to (the regular season Titans game being a good example). Really, the main reason he's struggling is due to the new coaching staff, particularly Norv. If you look at it, next season is really the deciding point. QBs under Norv do better during their second year with him, and Rivers broke out his third year in college (third year starting next season).

And as for teams carrying QBs, look at Brady's first year starting and see that the Pats' defense was the main reason they won a Superbowl.

As for the TD to turnover ratio, I found something interesting from another poster on footballsfuture.com:

Dan Fouts
His achievements:

6 Pro Bowls
43,000 Career Yards, 4 straight years leading League
58.8 Pass Percentage and 80.2 Career rating, considering the time

However that's where it all ends, a career that last 7 seasons in the 1970s and 8 in the 1980s with a modest TD Ratio of 254 to 242.

It should be noted that he also amounted 106 Career Fumbles and led the league twice in fumbles recovered..his own.

What trully raises an eyebrow is his playoff record, a record of 3-4 but that doesn't begin to cover it.

When having great all around teams to work with, Fouts was perhaps the greatest QB chokers in the history of the NFL.

Throwing 5 INTs with no TDs at home when the Chargers were the #1 team in the League.
Fouts managed to win the first playoff game for the next 3 playoff appearances, but failed to win the following game, his last playoff appearance being a laughable 1 TD vs. 5 INT performance against the Dolphins in the strike shortened season's second round of the playoffs, he also went 15 of 34 and gave one of the worst QB Ratings in playoff history, 32.5

He never won a League MVP although he did get an OPY in 82.

Average OT LB
01-05-2008, 08:39 PM
Rivers and LT need each other to do well. That's all I have to say. Rivers is still a young QB and he doesn't have to carry the team yet, but he has shown flashes of being able to (the regular season Titans game being a good example). Really, the main reason he's struggling is due to the new coaching staff, particularly Norv. If you look at it, next season is really the deciding point. QBs under Norv do better during their second year with him, and Rivers broke out his third year in college (third year starting next season).

And as for teams carrying QBs, look at Brady's first year starting and see that the Pats' defense was the main reason they won a Superbowl.

As for the TD to turnover ratio, I found something interesting from another poster on footballsfuture.com:

Dan Fouts
His achievements:

6 Pro Bowls
43,000 Career Yards, 4 straight years leading League
58.8 Pass Percentage and 80.2 Career rating, considering the time

However that's where it all ends, a career that last 7 seasons in the 1970s and 8 in the 1980s with a modest TD Ratio of 254 to 242.

It should be noted that he also amounted 106 Career Fumbles and led the league twice in fumbles recovered..his own.

What trully raises an eyebrow is his playoff record, a record of 3-4 but that doesn't begin to cover it.

When having great all around teams to work with, Fouts was perhaps the greatest QB chokers in the history of the NFL.

Throwing 5 INTs with no TDs at home when the Chargers were the #1 team in the League.
Fouts managed to win the first playoff game for the next 3 playoff appearances, but failed to win the following game, his last playoff appearance being a laughable 1 TD vs. 5 INT performance against the Dolphins in the strike shortened season's second round of the playoffs, he also went 15 of 34 and gave one of the worst QB Ratings in playoff history, 32.5

He never won a League MVP although he did get an OPY in 82.

I completely agree with your first paragraph, word for word. I'd only add that there are possible addition reasons for rivers struggling other than just the coaching.. i say possibly because next year things like - bad footwork - hasty decisions leading to bad plays etc.. may not happen... he is still young and can get better obviously.. so like i've said before it all really depends what happens next year..

JK17
01-06-2008, 02:02 AM

Good luck to you guys, can't wait for the game tomorrow...

TitanHope
01-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Good game guys. I thought we'd get ya there for a minute. :)

sdpads24
01-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Well, another victory for the chargers. It wasn't exactly the prettiest game we've played this year but we did what we had to to get the W. We got outplayed and outcoached in the first half but came out as a different team in the second half and scored 17 unanswered points that won it for us.

JK17
01-06-2008, 09:38 PM
I'm just so thrilled we finally won a playoff gamea again...

I thought Rivers stepped it up hugee in the second half after a very average first half...a good sign for the rest of the playoffs but we got a hell of a battle next week against Indy...

San Diego Chicken
01-07-2008, 01:40 AM
Rivers was money all game long on 3rd down. That's what QB's get paid to do.

Now that the playoff monkey is off of their backs, the Chargers can just rear back and play a loose game against a team that doesn't scare them, Indy. I'm feeling pretty good about their chances and they'll relish the "underdog" role.

Great game today. Great crowd, hardly any Titans fans. My buddies and I still found a way to mess with a few of them though. We shook up a few beers and offered them to our "guests", said cheers to a good game then, kaboom! Immature, I know.

SuperKevin
01-07-2008, 02:03 AM
I was glad to see Vincent Jackson step up in the absence of Antonio Gates. The Chargers needed someone to help out Chris Chambers and they got it in Jackson.

Was anyone else pissed off at the weak throw by Rivers when Chambers was WIDE OPEN by about 10 yards? A little more effort on that throw and Chambers doesn't have to stop to catch it. Would have been an easy TD for Chambers

Average OT LB
01-07-2008, 02:20 AM
GAME REVIEW - RIVERS

This game was a breakthrough performance for rivers... he had a shaky first half.. but at the start of the second half to the end of the game rivers was tremendous.. He made throw after throw and single handedly led the chargers on scoring drives multiple times... It seemed VERY apparent that the titans had a choice to stop either LT or rivers, and chose LT. They routinely had 8 or 9 guys in the box and made it near impossible for LT to run the ball -- Michael Turner should have been used more, he was a better fit for the defense we were facing. RIvers was probably told at halftime about the titans putting alot of guys in the box and took it as a challenge. He read hte defense well and made the right throw. OFten times the first read was good enough and he didnt really have to do too much, but regardless he made the throws. Especially with gates out, with LT not performing well, and losing.. he lead the team to a win...

The stats dont really show it, but this I felt was rivers best game of the year.

Xenos
01-07-2008, 04:27 PM
First, I would like to say that I hope Gates gets better soon and can play in the Indy game. That being said, I think him getting injured (hopefully not too seriously) and leaving the game, was the best thing that could happen to Philip Rivers.

Why? Because it forced Rivers to stop relying on Gates and LT so much. He was able to hit Chambers and Jackson (and even Manu) for huge gains. As a result, this game showed that he can win it for the team despite both of our top offensive guys (LT and Gates) being neutralized.

Oh and I would also like to add that he has done a better job of looking off his receivers and pump faking (one of the reasons the receivers were so wide open).

KRS1
01-07-2008, 05:41 PM
First, I would like to say that I hope Gates gets better soon and can play in the Indy game. That being said, I think him getting injured (hopefully not too seriously) and leaving the game, was the best thing that could happen to Philip Rivers.

Why? Because it forced Rivers to stop relying on Gates and LT so much. He was able to hit Chambers and Jackson (and even Manu) for huge gains. As a result, this game showed that he can win it for the team despite both of our top offensive guys (LT and Gates) being neutralized.

Oh and I would also like to add that he has done a better job of looking off his receivers and pump faking (one of the reasons the receivers were so wide open).

I thought the same thing. Having Gates out of the game forced Rivers to look elsewhere. Gates is his rock and not having him in there forced him to look outside and throw to what would normally be secondary options. Honestly when was the last time you saw 2 Chargers recievers oveer 100 yards? I can't even remember. It's just another thing that opposing defenses will have to think about now. Phillip spreading the ball around can be a beautiful thing.

JK17
01-08-2008, 12:18 AM
I don't think we're better without Gates...but I definitely know what you two are saying. I actually discussed it with my friend while watching the game, that by losing Gates it helped Rivers because he didn't give defenses the crutch of knowing where he would always be looking. Now if we can get Gates back, and Rivers can keep that new ability it will mean a lot, because when he focuses in on Gates is when he makes his mistakes...

Just hit the open guy.

Average OT LB
01-08-2008, 12:28 AM
When we play the colts and they dont have 8 guys in the box and they dont let guys run past their corners, we're gonna hope we have a healthy gates playing. Rivers is at his best when he makes the throws down field to his guys (VJ 4 20+ catches) but those kind of throws will not be there against this defense. If gates has an injury that slows him to the point of ineffectiveness, id throw the chances of us winning the game right out the windwo.

Cashmoney
01-08-2008, 12:40 AM
Great crowd, hardly any Titans fans. My buddies and I still found a way to mess with a few of them though. We shook up a few beers and offered them to our "guests", said cheers to a good game then, kaboom! Immature, I know.

But youre san diego. youre supposed to stay classy :)

SuperKevin
01-08-2008, 12:52 AM

The reason the pump fakes worked is because Tennessee plays a fairly aggressive man defense. it won't have nearly the same effect on Indianapolis and their cover 2 zone.

Average OT LB
01-08-2008, 12:55 AM
The reason the pump fakes worked is because Tennessee plays a fairly aggressive man defense. it won't have nearly the same effect on Indianapolis and their cover 2 zone.

how many times did rivers pump fake? i saw one that looked more like something he does before he throws rather than an actual pump fake...

Average OT LB
01-08-2008, 01:15 AM
I don't think we're better without Gates...but I definitely know what you two are saying. I actually discussed it with my friend while watching the game, that by losing Gates it helped Rivers because he didn't give defenses the crutch of knowing where he would always be looking. Now if we can get Gates back, and Rivers can keep that new ability it will mean a lot, because when he focuses in on Gates is when he makes his mistakes...

Just hit the open guy.

agreed, rivers should just do the least challenging thing.. seeing as how he is an average talent an all

Xenos
01-08-2008, 02:40 PM

The pump fakes and looking off receivers is just a Rivers comment in general due to the fact that those were some of his weaknesses earlier in the season. But thanks for the info about the Colts.

KRS1
01-08-2008, 06:01 PM
The pump fakes and looking off receivers is just a Rivers comment in general due to the fact that those were some of his weaknesses earlier in the season. But thanks for the info about the Colts.

The only problem is that the two long passes (to Jackson and Chambers) were both completed on Cover 2 coverage schemes. With that said obviously the Colts Cover 2 is about a million times more scary than the Titans.

I think the game will be much closer than everyone is saying. Yeah the Colts are getting some weapons back but I would still trade Marvin Harrison on a questionable knee for Dwight Freeney any day of the week. I think we will blitz the hell out of Manning early and trust our corners and Safties to hole the recievers. Hopefully we can get enough pass rush to effect Peyton into hurried throws ans possible INT's. I think the fact that we were playing without players like Hardwick and Castillio for the regular season game is being severely understated. Hardwick is the captain of our line and Castillio gets such good pass rush for a 3-4 d-end its we-todd-did.