PDA

View Full Version : Scott, What Happened to Colt Brennan

Billingsley26
12-31-2007, 01:05 AM
In your last mock, before Colt announced he was returning to Hawaii for his senior season, you had him as a 1st round pick. This year, I think more than a couple teams are in need of a QB, and you dont have him present in the 1st round.

If anything, I dont think his stock has fallen at all, and I think he could boost it up even more if he wins later in the week. Why is he out of the 1st when he was in it last year?

toonsterwu
12-31-2007, 01:09 AM
I don't think Colt is a first rounder. I'd have him 5th right now of the QB's. Certianly could move up. That said, I'm a bit iffy on 3 QB's going in round 1, let alone 4.

BamaFalcon59
12-31-2007, 01:11 AM
I don't think Colt is a first rounder. I'd have him 5th right now of the QB's. Certianly could move up. That said, I'm a bit iffy on 3 QB's going in round 1, let alone 4.

What quarterbacks are in your top 5?

Billingsley26
12-31-2007, 01:12 AM

toon, do you think if he torches Georgia, like he has been the entire WAC, im talking 350+ yards and 4 TD's and wins the game, will his stock rise considerably?

I always respect your knowledge. Your probably the best draft poster on this site.

SuperKevin
12-31-2007, 01:14 AM
My top 5 QBs are

1. Matt Ryan
2. brian Brohm
3. Joe Flacco
4. Andre Woodson
5. Colt Brennan

BamaFalcon59
12-31-2007, 01:17 AM
Joe Flacco did not impress me at all when I watched him on television in the 1-AA playoffs in two games.

SuperKevin
12-31-2007, 01:18 AM
Joe Flacco did not impress me at all when I watched him on television in the 1-AA playoffs in two games.

Well I've watched him 5 times this year and each time came away very impressed with his pocket presence and accuracy. he also rarely goes down on first contact

toonsterwu
12-31-2007, 01:20 AM
My top 5's the same order as SK.

AS for the other question, yes a huge bowl game can help him. He's going to get a good test from that Georgia D. I don't know if this is the best D he's faced all year (too lazy to check right now), but considering the time Georgia's had to prepare, even though I don't think it's a particularly great test, it is a good test, and if he can adapt to the different look the Georgia D has set up, and he torches them, and with big plays as well as the typical short-intermediate stuff, then yes, I think he could boost himself quite a bit.

I think the QB rankings are more wide open than people seem to think. As of now, the only person I'd say that has a high chance to be a lock in the top 3 at the end is Ryan. I think everything else is fluid.

It's a good QB depth class, but boy if the values aren't inflated at the top. Much as I talk positively about Woodson/Ryan, in some other years, they'd be late firsts, IMO. Much as I love Flacco, a chance for the 1st round? Seriously? Just goes to show that it's a really odd draft year at many positions. Really a side rant, but I find it funny how folks claim that some mock drafts have really screwy orders and what not ... the order is far from being done. okay, end rant.

toonsterwu
12-31-2007, 01:21 AM
Well I've watched him 5 times this year and each time came away very impressed with his pocket presence and accuracy. he also rarely goes down on first contact

I might be in the minority, but much as I like Flacco, I think there's some mechanical work there. Seemed to have a bit of a windup, and some of the passes I've seen him make, well, those windows won't be there in D-I, let alone the NFL. All adjustable/developable aspects, and draft value is as much on projection, and he projects, arguably, better than the other 4 guys listed.

SuperKevin
12-31-2007, 01:23 AM
Much as I love Flacco, a chance for the 1st round? Seriously?

I agree. The only thing keeping Joe Flacco from being drafted in the first round in my opinion is the fact he went to Delaware. When it's all said and done, he might actually be the most pro ready QB in the class

12-31-2007, 02:16 AM
Although it is rare QBs from very small schools have gone in the first round before such as Steve McNair. There clearly is something else holding Flacco back and maybe what toon mentioned above could be part of the problem as scouts evaluate tape.

energizerbunny
12-31-2007, 02:22 AM
The problem I have with Brennan is its almost impossible to find the throws he makes at Hawaii that he'll need to make in the pro's. On top of that I still think the jury is out on if he is a system QB or not.

I think the truth falls somewhere in between.

SuperKevin
12-31-2007, 02:24 AM
Although it is rare QBs from very small schools have gone in the first round before such as Steve McNair. There clearly is something else holding Flacco back and maybe what toon mentioned above could be part of the problem as scouts evaluate tape.

Steve McNair completely obliterated D1-AA that year though and If I recall correctly, he even got some heisman trophy votes from it

Scott Wright
12-31-2007, 02:41 AM
There are just more quarterbacks available this year. As I said a year ago Brennan hasn't answered any questions, there are the same issues with him now as there were a year ago. I see him as a 2nd round pick but the Senior Bowl is going to play a big role for him.

As for Flacco, I think he is overhyped right now to be honest. He can definitely wing the ball and he looks the part physically but I haven't been impressed with his accuracy. I wouldn't touch him before round three.

SuperKevin
12-31-2007, 02:44 AM
There are just more quarterbacks available this year. As I said a year ago Brennan hasn't answered any questions, there are the same issues with him now as there were a year ago. I see him as a 2nd round pick but the Senior Bowl is going to play a big role for him.

As for Flacco, I think he is overhyped right now to be honest. He can definitely wing the ball and he looks the part physically but I haven't been impressed with his accuracy. I wouldn't touch him before round three.

Really? In the few games I've seen I have been impressed with his ability to put the ball where only his recievers can get it. He reminds me a lot of Ben Roethlisberger

D-Unit
12-31-2007, 04:26 AM
So wait... Brennan has questions about the competition he's faced and Flacco gets a free pass? Ha! Typical.

You can look beyond this past season to see Brennan against better competition than he's had this year.

Flacco won't be the better Pro QB, but I won't doubt that he'll be drafted earlier than Brennan.

Billingsley26
12-31-2007, 09:54 AM
So wait... Brennan has questions about the competition he's faced and Flacco gets a free pass? Ha! Typical.

You can look beyond this past season to see Brennan against better competition than he's had this year.

Flacco won't be the better Pro QB, but I won't doubt that he'll be drafted earlier than Brennan.

I agree with you D. Flacco has not played better competition than Colt Brennan. Colt stuck it to a solid BSU defense, then stuck it to a solid Washington defense who held USC to only 3 TD's. Brennan can play no doubt about it.

D-Unit, I think your right about this one. The knock on Brennan seems to be his competition as well as him being a system QB. Yet, Flacco plays D1-AA and you rarely hear the knock on him about competiton.

toonsterwu
12-31-2007, 10:53 AM
Um, just to be clear, I was trying to somewhat knock Flacco earlier in my comments in that, while I think he can go round 1, in other years, he wouldn't even be within earshot due to level of competition. Love the kid and I think he has loads of potential, but everyone's searching for that QB ... as I don't think anyone is too enthralled with the ones at the top to stop searching (which happens in some years to an extent). That's why, for example, despite the issues JD Booty has, I tend to think he's underrated now as he could be going somewhere in 4th/5th, and that's good value.

underscore
12-31-2007, 04:02 PM
Flacco is in the East/West Shrine game, so he'll get to show off a little.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-01-2008, 12:25 AM
from the couple Delaware games I saw this year Flacco seems to have a bit of an inflated comp%. And I dont just mean the competition...I mean Delaware runs a lot of short passes, screen type plays. It's sort of like the Russell situation a year ago where the guy has a gun for sure, but it wasn't put to use as much as you'd think it would be. When I really paid attention to him as a QB prospect (against AppState) I saw a LOT of passes that he could only get away with on the D-IAA level. I do see the potential in him, but I dont think he's that close to it right now. One thing that stuck out to me is that he's more mobile than you'd think a guy his size would be. Overall though, I agree with Scott in that I wouldn't look at him before round 3 in a normal year

49er Fan #1
01-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Personally i like Woodson the most out of everyone is there anyone out there that agrees with me?

CherryGarcia510
01-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Personally i like Woodson the most out of everyone is there anyone out there that agrees with me?

i definitely think he has the highest ceiling but i think it will take time. If i was a team that needed to win now, or didn't have the time to develop him i dont know if he is the right pick.

porter20
01-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Did Colt Brennan drop from 2nd/3rd round to 5th-6th round?

Reminds me of Troy Smith last year. Gonna drop a ton in the draft.

Hopefully Colt at least gets drafted! Yikes

SuperKevin
01-01-2008, 11:37 PM
Did Colt Brennan drop from 2nd/3rd round to 5th-6th round?

Reminds me of Troy Smith last year. Gonna drop a ton in the draft.

Hopefully Colt at least gets drafted! Yikes

He needs one hell of a Senior Bowl to rebuild his draft stock in my opinion. Tonight has proved that he's not able to compete with big time defenses. heck I think I'd take Chad Henne over him right now

bearsfan_51
01-01-2008, 11:41 PM
heck I think I'd take Chad Henne over him right now
I'd have taken Henne over him yesterday too. Brennan is a 4th/5th rounder to me.

JagHombre22
01-01-2008, 11:49 PM
Chad Henne helped his stock today a bunch....

princefielder28
01-01-2008, 11:52 PM
Colt Brennan's performance tonight is not a reflection of his abilities but simply Georgia showing how superior their program is physically to Hawaii's. Brennan got hit, had deflected passes, and was hurried double digit times, and he was sacked EIGHT times. He had no time to get into a rythmn and the protection never allowed him to get a pocket presence and step up and make some passes. There were also instances where the receivers for Hawaii slipped or ran the wrong route. If someone bases their analysis of Brennan off this game they are making a big mistake. And for some people out there, as bad as Brennan looked, he showed leadership and toughness. He did not want to stay out of this game and got emotional when he was told he was not going in; the trainers had to come get him out of the game before he would leave. That shows me alot of leadership and throughout the game he never pointed fingers or mooped around on the sideline like some proclaimed leaders at the QB position. The Senior Bowl will still play alot into his draft stock, but there is no way that my feelings on Colt Brennan's abilities have changed because of this game. He is still a Top 5 QB prospect in this class and with a very solid week at the Senior Bowl he could propel up further.

This game also reminded me of the State Farm commercial with Matt Hasselbeck and State Farm insurance; brutual to watch

Billingsley26
01-02-2008, 12:03 AM
^^^^^ Very good post PF28. I agree 100% with what you stated.

BuddyCHRIST
01-02-2008, 12:18 AM
Dunno how we got to Henne but I've always thought he was underrated as a prospect and he really has an excellent arm imo last year i though he should have been getting more Heisman talk. If he measures at 6'2" i think he could be a good player. And for Brennan, I think his stock drops but not plummets, Hawaii just didnt even look like they were even close to UGA talent wise and Brennan did take a ton of shots. I was impressed by Brennan earlier but the more I see him the more his size and release bother me. I like how quick it is and he has a suprisingly strong arm but he loooks small and definitely too skinny. Also, something about his attitude and demeanor just turns me off.

D-Unit
01-02-2008, 01:09 AM
Colt will need to go into the right situation in order to succeed in the NFL. I have my doubts that there is an organization out there that will do the right thing for him.

He needs a decent OL and at least a year to learn the system.

DiG
01-02-2008, 01:13 AM
and at least a year to learn the system.

or 3...http://www.re-mission.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/lol-sign.gif

D-Unit
01-02-2008, 01:14 AM
or 3...http://www.re-mission.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/lol-sign.gif
3 wouldn't hurt either. Worked for the guy I keep comparing him to... Tony Romo.

jayceheathman
01-02-2008, 01:16 AM
Colt Brennan's performance tonight is not a reflection of his abilities but simply Georgia showing how superior their program is physically to Hawaii's. Brennan got hit, had deflected passes, and was hurried double digit times, and he was sacked EIGHT times. He had no time to get into a rythmn and the protection never allowed him to get a pocket presence and step up and make some passes. There were also instances where the receivers for Hawaii slipped or ran the wrong route. If someone bases their analysis of Brennan off this game they are making a big mistake. And for some people out there, as bad as Brennan looked, he showed leadership and toughness. He did not want to stay out of this game and got emotional when he was told he was not going in; the trainers had to come get him out of the game before he would leave. That shows me alot of leadership and throughout the game he never pointed fingers or mooped around on the sideline like some proclaimed leaders at the QB position. The Senior Bowl will still play alot into his draft stock, but there is no way that my feelings on Colt Brennan's abilities have changed because of this game. He is still a Top 5 QB prospect in this class and with a very solid week at the Senior Bowl he could propel up further.

This game also reminded me of the State Farm commercial with Matt Hasselbeck and State Farm insurance; brutual to watch

It could have dropped a little but not drastically. His OL didnt attempt to block for him. Georgia was running right around them. Teams should pass on him because he was crying at the end. There is no crying in football!

DiG
01-02-2008, 01:19 AM
3 wouldn't hurt either. Worked for the guy I keep comparing him to... Tony Romo.

I've never thought of that analogy. Now that I think about it you just might have something there. Thank you D, for enlightening me....

Bengals78
01-02-2008, 02:15 AM
after watching i cant really lay blame on Colt. This is one of the few times i place a lot of blame on the line. Colt had zero time to throw it and had SEC speed and power coming right at him. It really effected his ability to throw.

energizerbunny
01-02-2008, 02:42 AM
HE shouldn't be blamed, Hawaii had no business even being on the same field as Georgia. Physically it was like boys playing men out there and they got dominated physcially..... Probally one of the worst physical beatings on a team i've seen in quite some time.

GREENSMACKS
01-02-2008, 02:44 AM
he looked alot like kitna out there tonight minus the jesus stuff

bearsfan_51
01-02-2008, 03:10 AM

Granted I saw a total of zero percent of Romo's games at Southern Illinois, but Brennan seems like he has a lot more mechanical issues than Romo, at least the Romo I saw in the preseason. You've seen much more of both players though.

skeet3r
01-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Granted I saw a total of zero percent of Romo's games at Southern Illinois, but Brennan seems like he has a lot more mechanical issues than Romo, at least the Romo I saw in the preseason. You've seen much more of both players though.

Romo went to Eastern Illinois ;) GO BEARS!

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
01-02-2008, 12:04 PM
Let's not forget either that it wasn't like Georgia was blitzing and Colt had only 3 or 4 guys in coverage to throw against. The Dawgs were rushing 3 or 4 all night and wreaking havoc. No QB could do that. The entire Hawaii OL should be rounded up and shot after that performance.

D-Unit
01-02-2008, 01:30 PM
I'm surprised at the amount of forgiving Colt Brennan has gotten on this board. While it's definitely true that the OL protection was overmatched and out of it's league, I didn't expect people to blame them. I thought people would be all over Colt. Hawaii indeed had no business playing in that game. However, I'm happy as hell that they got the chance! It's been a wonderful season... one I'll never forget! The euphoria all year long about the dream and the hope of a BCS birth came to fruition and made it an incredible year to be a fan! This was a once in a lifetime opportunity. I don't expect Hawaii to make it back in my lifetime. We simply don't have the funding resources. Considering all that we had to do to get on this stage is an amazing AMAZING feat. June hasn't taken a recruiting trip off island in 3 seasons. Their recruiting budget is $50,000. Compared to Georgia's $527,000 recruiting budget... it would've been too much to ask Hawaii to beat them. We don't have the athletes to match them from top to bottom. Our team is comprised of a bunch of second chance players... we've always been that way. We don't even keep our top local talent. Our facilities are too old. It's not even D1 quality.

But back to Colt, I don't believe people will be able to grade him correctly off this game. Luckily he has the Senior Bowl and Combine to make up ground. He gave up $$$ to come back to play for Hawaii and as a fan, I respect him so much for doing that. At worst he was a second round pick last year. At best he'll be a 3rd rounder. Most likely a 5th or 6th rounder now. 7th round or undrafted won't catch me by surprise.

SuperKevin
01-02-2008, 03:18 PM
I'll admit, most of my criticism of Colt last night was be just being a contrary jerk but there was one major red flag for me. Colt Brennan seemed to play scared after getting hit a few times. To me that raises a lot of concern about his toughness and mental makeup. He needs to learn that he's going to be hit and he has to shrug it off and forget it happened.

Scotty D
01-02-2008, 06:20 PM
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/Dec/30/br/br9846271305.html

On asking for a Georgia scouting report from Florida's Tim Tebow during the Heisman Trophy festivities in New York:

We did talk. That was really funny watching me and Tim Tebow talk. You talk about all of the system-quarterback stuff, me and him cannot relate on anything we talked about. All he talked about were (defensive) fronts and linebackers, and I'm like, 'Dude, I throw the ball.' All I talked about (was): 'Where's the safety at?' And he's like, 'I don't pay attention to that.' I'm like, 'How are you making these reads then?' It was different. All he kept talking about were eight-man fronts and what the D-end's doing. I don't look at those guys ever. I'm looking down at the corners and the free safeties. We talked a little bit. We had fun with it. He said (Georgia's defense) was the best defense he played all year. And they gave him the most trouble (this) year. Obviously that's a great opportunity for me considering I was in the Heisman (race) with Tim, and if I came out and had success with Georgia, I think, it would validate a lot of things for me.

jballa838
01-02-2008, 06:41 PM

On asking for a Georgia scouting report from Florida's Tim Tebow during the Heisman Trophy festivities in New York:
hahaha thats funny.
Tebow only makes Michael Vick reads.

SuperKevin
01-02-2008, 06:42 PM

That quote further proves why Tim tebow shouldn't play QB in the NFL

ONUV
01-02-2008, 07:46 PM
last night's game should not effect the way people look at him. he was sacked 8 times. Colt and his receivers are all Hawaii really has. They can match up with anybody. they don't have the talent on the lines and it showed big time last night.