PDA

View Full Version : Free Agency Discussion: Which one should we break the bank for?

Xiomera
12-31-2007, 08:54 PM
Which of these potential free agents should the Lions break the bank for? We know Millen is gonna have to throw a boatload of money to bring these guys to Detroit . . . which one is most worthy of a big payday with us?

Some candidates:

CB Marcus Trufant
DE Terrell Suggs
OG Alan Faneca
CB Asante Samuel
RB Michael Turner
LB Lance Briggs
DE Jared Allen

WMD
12-31-2007, 09:26 PM
I don't think we should really break the bank for any CB since we run the Cover 2. I think Trufant would be a better fit for us than Asante and if we could get him at a good price, I'd be a happy young man.

Alan Faneca would cost the most money.. but I think he'd be most worth it. We need SOMETHING to block for us on the left side.

As far as who I want the most.. I'd rank them::

1. Marcus Trufant
2. Alan Faneca
3. Lance Briggs
4. Asante Samuel
5. Terrell Suggs
6. Michael Turner
7. Jared Allen

Xiomera
12-31-2007, 10:45 PM
I voted for Michael Turner . . . we won't have to break the bank for him, but he would be a solid investment since KJ is likely to leave after next year and he is injured anyways . . . then we can use the tag on Roy Williams and not have to worry about KJ, who is looking less and less attractive as a free agent to be with all these injuries he's had . . .

Jared Allen would be great, though he is almost assured to be franchised, and he isn't a Marinelli-type of player . . .

Scotty D
01-01-2008, 06:24 AM
I voted Jared Allen. He wants $20 million guaranteed though.

Addict
01-01-2008, 06:29 AM
all of the above, since we're not really a team these guys would want to play for.

Terrell Suggs could also be used as a LB, but he'd be a monster at DE, Samuel is a great CB so is trufant, I'd take any of those guys and be very pleased. Maybe not Briggs, I think Urlacher made him look better than he was.

detroit4life
01-01-2008, 05:25 PM
i voted suggs i think hed be a great addition giving us a great pass rusher at DE. but we rly couldnt go wrong all of these guys would be great to have

TacticaLion
01-02-2008, 03:08 AM
I went Allen... a complete force on the DLine. Imagine Allen-Redding-Rogers-White... a great line (when every player feels like playing... and dropping 60 pounds).

I really want Faneca, though...

Iamcanadian
01-02-2008, 03:17 PM
Big name FA's scare me. Why are they chosing Detroit unless they are just coming for one last big payday. These types tend to just show up with little energy or committment to winning. If they are interested in winning, they aren't going to chose Detroit. Get Real!
I much more perfer a young LBer or CB with potential who is still interested in proving he can play in the NFL. These types will put out for Detroit and aren't just coming for the money.
I'm sick of Millen thinking he can throw big money at a FA and expect him to really solve all our problems. It just isn't going to happen.
Who after all, have been our most successful FA's, certainly none of the big name guys, just the White's, the Furrey's and the McDonalds, young players that still had something to prove.
But don't worry, with Martz gone, Millen will sign another big name who soon will become another fat , lazy player who just collects his monster pay cheque and gives us nothing in return. He's used that stratagy for 6 years now.

Xiomera
01-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Big name FA's scare me. Why are they chosing Detroit unless they are just coming for one last big payday. These types tend to just show up with little energy or committment to winning. If they are interested in winning, they aren't going to chose Detroit. Get Real!
I much more perfer a young LBer or CB with potential who is still interested in proving he can play in the NFL. These types will put out for Detroit and aren't just coming for the money.
I'm sick of Millen thinking he can throw big money at a FA and expect him to really solve all our problems. It just isn't going to happen.
Who after all, have been our most successful FA's, certainly none of the big name guys, just the White's, the Furrey's and the McDonalds, young players that still had something to prove.
But don't worry, with Martz gone, Millen will sign another big name who soon will become another fat , lazy player who just collects his monster pay cheque and gives us nothing in return. He's used that stratagy for 6 years now.

Michael Turner would have a lot to prove in Detroit, trying to get out of the shadow of LT. He wants a starting job. He'd have it in Detroit.

Iamcanadian
01-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Michael Turner would have a lot to prove in Detroit, trying to get out of the shadow of LT. He wants a starting job. He'd have it in Detroit.

I agree with your choice but we would have to convince him we plan on running the ball more. He certainly fits my mold of FA's to go after. However, I have a small reservation. When I look at Turner, I see a possible Lamont Jordan, another RB who looked sensational playing behind a solid starter when Oakland signed him. On his own, he left something to be desired and I just hope Turner is more productive.
What really scares me is that Millen would pay him like he is LT and we'd be stuck with another overpaid starter.

Xiomera
01-02-2008, 05:28 PM
I agree with your choice but we would have to convince him we plan on running the ball more. He certainly fits my mold of FA's to go after. However, I have a small reservation. When I look at Turner, I see a possible Lamont Jordan, another RB who looked sensational playing behind a solid starter when Oakland signed him. On his own, he left something to be desired and I just hope Turner is more productive.
What really scares me is that Millen would pay him like he is LT and we'd be stuck with another overpaid starter.

Turner didn't have as good of a year in 2007 as he did in 2006, so if anything his price tag on the open market went down in a year's time. I don't think we'd have to pay him too much to get him here. Especially when you consider that there are three legitimate first round RB's who are most likely to declare. How many teams need a new starting RB anyways?

I hope we sign him.

The Legend
01-02-2008, 05:31 PM
if you guys get Marcus Trufant that would just be suck for the packers
i would hate to vs him

TacticaLion
01-03-2008, 10:06 AM
I hate that mentality.

Yes... one should learn from the past... but past failures do not dictate future outcomes. Taking any of these players is an upgrade over what we have, and signing them doesn't set them up for failure. They wont necessarily become "fat and lazy", but could actually make a big impact and become an important part of the team.

You want a great DE for our defense? Why not Jared Allen? He'd be an upgrade, wouldn't he? A dominant, young player.

Horrible secondary, right? Why not Trufant? Definitely better than anyone else we have at the position.

Pick a player and he's an upgrade... you can't be sure that taking them will be a mistake.

(Instead of using our 1st on a DE, like many think we should, why not grab Suggs or Allen and draft another position? Makes sense to me...)

Scotty D
01-03-2008, 11:07 AM
Millen did have one of the best FA classes last year.

detroit4life
01-03-2008, 11:18 AM
id love it if they could sign suggs or allen in FA. Fills a big hole and we can then focus of LB CB in rounds 1 and2

Scotty D
01-03-2008, 11:25 AM
Brian Kelly is a free agent I belive. He'd be a good pick up.

Iamcanadian
01-03-2008, 11:39 AM
I hate that mentality.

Yes... one should learn from the past... but past failures do not dictate future outcomes. Taking any of these players is an upgrade over what we have, and signing them doesn't set them up for failure. They wont necessarily become "fat and lazy", but could actually make a big impact and become an important part of the team.

You want a great DE for our defense? Why not Jared Allen? He'd be an upgrade, wouldn't he? A dominant, young player.

Horrible secondary, right? Why not Trufant? Definitely better than anyone else we have at the position.

Pick a player and he's an upgrade... you can't be sure that taking them will be a mistake.

(Instead of using our 1st on a DE, like many think we should, why not grab Suggs or Allen and draft another position? Makes sense to me...)

I don't really see Jarad Allen as a good Cover 2 prospect. Suggs, definitely is a solid Cover 2 type guy.
As for past failures, think about it. Why would a FA who wants to win sign with Matt Millen and Detroit unless the pay cheque is more important to him than winning. Be realistic, players around the league know all about Detroit under Matt Millen. We are a joke throughout the league and have been for some time. No FA will even look at Detroit unless we offer him a ridiculous amount of money and winning isn't his top priority.
Yes, we had a decent FA year last season for 2 reasons.
1) a lot of former players wanted to play for Martz and Marinelli
2) the most successful of our FA's last year weren't necessarily starters on their previous teams but young players who still had something to prove about their ability to play in the NFL.
We'd all like to see Detroit grab top notch FA's but the reality is most of them would much rather sign with a team that has at least a shot at the playoffs.
A Suggs or an Allen won't sign with Detroit if they are looking to win, period and end of story.

Bootland27
01-03-2008, 12:39 PM
I don't really see Jarad Allen as a good Cover 2 prospect.

He led the league in sacks while playing in a C2.

bored of education
01-03-2008, 12:40 PM
He led the league in sacks while playing in a C2.

and missed 2 games, had 10 pass deflections and 3FF and 2 TDS.

one of the top 3 defensive players this year

Bootland27
01-03-2008, 12:42 PM
I don't really see Jarad Allen as a good Cover 2 prospect. Suggs, definitely is a solid Cover 2 type guy.
As for past failures, think about it. Why would a FA who wants to win sign with Matt Millen and Detroit unless the pay cheque is more important to him than winning. Be realistic, players around the league know all about Detroit under Matt Millen. We are a joke throughout the league and have been for some time. No FA will even look at Detroit unless we offer him a ridiculous amount of money and winning isn't his top priority.
Yes, we had a decent FA year last season for 2 reasons.
1) a lot of former players wanted to play for Martz and Marinelli
2) the most successful of our FA's last year weren't necessarily starters on their previous teams but young players who still had something to prove about their ability to play in the NFL.
We'd all like to see Detroit grab top notch FA's but the reality is most of them would much rather sign with a team that has at least a shot at the playoffs.
A Suggs or an Allen won't sign with Detroit if they are looking to win, period and end of story.

Any team that wants a big time FA has to open up the checkbook, unless you're an elite team like Dallas, NE or Indy

Xiomera
01-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Why are we arguing over Allen . . . he is the surest lock to be franchised among all the guys I listed.

Notredameleo
01-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Brian Kelly, Michael Turner, and Suggs is all I want, that way we can draft LBer a solid LB'er or Cb in the firt and second round..!

Scotty D
01-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Justin Smith from Cincy is another guy to think about.

Bootland27
01-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Why are we arguing over Allen . . . he is the surest lock to be franchised among all the guys I listed.

Not arguing, Just informing......Half of the guys on the list are likely be tagged.

Brodeur
01-03-2008, 04:38 PM
I really don't want to see Faneca in a Lions uniform. He's not nearly as good as he was a few years ago and the Lions have already swung and missed on so many guard signings already.

Brothgar
01-03-2008, 05:19 PM
If I were to pick a guy I would say we spend the money on Lance Briggs because Boss Bailey is out Briggs knows a cover 2 system. Also he knows the bears D and probobally knows weaknesses in said D. Yeah I know the Lions swept the Bears this season but I think they are back and the intel would be a good thing to know about a division rival.

Bootland27
01-03-2008, 07:17 PM
If I were to pick a guy I would say we spend the money on Lance Briggs because Boss Bailey is out Briggs knows a cover 2 system. Also he knows the bears D and probobally knows weaknesses in said D. Yeah I know the Lions swept the Bears this season but I think they are back and the intel would be a good thing to know about a division rival.

Briggs plays WLB and we already have Sims, so he wouldn't be a good fit on our team.

Brothgar
01-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Briggs plays WLB and we already have Sims, so he wouldn't be a good fit on our team.

I think he could transfer to a SLB I'm sure he is strong and can shead blocks well enough to make the transition. I could be wrong

JPLUFF
01-03-2008, 08:20 PM
I think he could transfer to a SLB I'm sure he is strong and can shead blocks well enough to make the transition. I could be wrong

That's a lot of money to invest for a SLB in the cover 2. MLB and WLB are important, but look at Chicago, they had Briggs at the WLB and Urlacher in the middle, but put Hunter Hillenmeyer (a 6th round pick) at SLB and he did more than hold his own. That position just isn't all that important, and that money should be spent either on upgrading DE opposite Dewayne White or a corner.

Scotty D
01-03-2008, 08:22 PM
That's a lot of money to invest for a SLB in the cover 2. MLB and WLB are important, but look at Chicago, they had Briggs at the WLB and Urlacher in the middle, but put Hunter Hillenmeyer (a 6th round pick) at SLB and he did more than hold his own. That position just isn't all that important, and that money should be spent either on upgrading DE opposite Dewayne White or a corner.

Exactly. Shawn Crable, Tavares Gooden, Beau Bell, and Ezra Butler are SLB prospects to look at.

JPLUFF
01-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Exactly. Shawn Crable, Tavares Gooden, Beau Bell, and Ezra Butler are SLB prospects to look at.

Crable would be insane...but in a good way

Brothgar
01-03-2008, 08:27 PM

When you're right you're right. I still wouldn't get a DE don't ask me why but I have faith in IAF (Hawaii 50) I'd save the money and see if I can't keep Roy Williams next year.

WMD
01-03-2008, 09:05 PM
I believe that Ikaika is going to be playing DT for us in the near future.

asmitty45
01-04-2008, 02:43 PM
I like suggs but i dont know if he can play DE full time. He plays that flex position in Baltimore which is what makes him so effective.

I think Briggs would be the best signing. Sign him and draft connor and we've got a great LB corps

no love
01-04-2008, 02:59 PM
all of the above, since we're not really a team these guys would want to play for.

Terrell Suggs could also be used as a LB, but he'd be a monster at DE, Samuel is a great CB so is trufant, I'd take any of those guys and be very pleased. Maybe not Briggs, I think Urlacher made him look better than he was.

I don't buy the Urlacher made Briggs look like a better player than he actually was. Briggs is a playmaker and he has done it with Urlacher playing hurt and with him out of the lineup. This year I think he has actually outplayed Urlacher, due to injuries.

Lionsfan93
01-04-2008, 04:32 PM
Asante Samuel will be worth the money for us

WMD
01-05-2008, 05:19 AM
Asante Samuel will be worth the money for us

Not if we still plan on using our Tampa 2 Defense. He's the best overall CB available but his best skills would probably be wasted with our scheme.

detap21
01-05-2008, 01:15 PM
I said Suggs. We could use him as either an OLB opposite of Sims or we could use him as DE opposite of White. Either way Suggs would help us out.

Addict
01-05-2008, 01:18 PM
can't we just buy ourselfves a new defense?

detap21
01-05-2008, 01:23 PM
can't we just buy ourselfves a new defense?

We should although I think that if we did do that we should keep a few key players. Like Sims, White, Kennedy, and I think we should keep Bullocks.

Bootland27
02-07-2008, 05:54 PM
http://walterfootball.com/free2008OT.php

Scotty D
02-07-2008, 06:33 PM
http://walterfootball.com/free2008OT.php

Good site there.

Greg White, DE - Tampa
Cory Smith, DE - Lions
Sean Locklear, RT - Seahawks
Stacey Andrews, RT - Bengals
Maurice Williams, OL - Jags

Brothgar
02-07-2008, 06:37 PM
If theres any way we get Gross in the off season I don't care how much money he wants we should give it to him

Bootland27
02-07-2008, 07:28 PM
If theres any way we get Gross in the off season I don't care how much money he wants we should give it to him

Yeah me too. Gross would be a huge upgrade over Woody. He's probably gonna seek a deal similar to one Backus got, but it'd be worth it.

detroit4life
02-07-2008, 08:58 PM
i wonder if the lions are planning on going after greg white from tampa. Another guy that Marinelli should have connections with and we could use him as a starter with IAF in the rotation

Bootland27
02-07-2008, 09:06 PM
i wonder if the lions are planning on going after greg white from tampa. Another guy that Marinelli should have connections with and we could use him as a starter with IAF in the rotation

Possibly... but unlike Dewayne White, Greg White (Any Relation?) is more of a backup.

NMUBurner22
02-08-2008, 02:37 AM
Please Millen you idiot go after Asante Samuel.

Addict
02-08-2008, 11:18 AM
not exactly a break-the-bank kind of thing, but titans' TE Ben Troupe is FA as well, could he be an option, we do need someone extra at TE...

detroit4life
02-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Possibly... but unlike Dewayne White, Greg White (Any Relation?) is more of a backup.

he had 8 sacks last year and i think he may have started over dwayne in tampa. Dwayne didnt start for the bucs when we signed him

Bootland27
02-08-2008, 10:21 PM
he had 8 sacks last year and i think he may have started over dwayne in tampa. Dwayne didnt start for the bucs when we signed him

Yeah but Dewayne White has had a decent track record when he was there. It came down to Marinelli knowing him & having faith in him. Greg White was a no-name player until last year when he got 8 sacks as a backup. We kinda have the same thing in DeVries last year, as they both had career years.

I guess it comes down to Marinelli knowing him well enough and believing that he could thrive here, just like Dewayne did.

casskid
02-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Isnt Ben Troupe just a receiving TE? It would be nice to have athletic TE but would he be the starter or would he be in only in special packages? If we are going to commit to the run then he may not want to come here because his playing time would be limited (presumably the Lions would only play him on passing downs because hes not much of a blocker). But if he is a solid blocker I would say bring him in and make him the starter.

Addict
02-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Isnt Ben Troupe just a receiving TE? It would be nice to have athletic TE but would he be the starter or would he be in only in special packages? If we are going to commit to the run then he may not want to come here because his playing time would be limited (presumably the Lions would only play him on passing downs because hes not much of a blocker). But if he is a solid blocker I would say bring him in and make him the starter.

I don't think a team that's built to pass first is gonna go pull a 180 and be all-run. We need a short-yardage threat, troupe could provide that, plus he's not too expensive, so he might be a decent pickup.

MicJay
02-10-2008, 06:08 PM
How come so many want to pass on a corner in the first but are willing to throw Clements type money on a CB in FA.

BTW I put Allen. He can flat out play and a consistent pass rush off the edge will greatly improve the defense.

detroit4life
02-10-2008, 06:33 PM
i put suggs for the same reasons except i feel like he'll be able to get more pressure on the QB then allen if he's asked to just get to the QB. Either allen or suggs would be great

MicJay
02-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Honestly I would be fine with Allen, Suggs, or Smith in FA.

detroit4life
02-10-2008, 10:04 PM
i dont want smith he's not a pass rushing DE and serves no purpose for our defense

MicJay
02-10-2008, 10:36 PM
I agree that he is not as much of a pass rush threat as Allen or Suggs but aside for last year he has been good for 8 sacks per year. And combined with White,IAF, and C. Smith I think that will make for a consistent pass rush.

Bootland27
02-10-2008, 11:58 PM
What about Nmadi Asomugha (or however you spell it)?? He is actually a BIG corner (6'2 210)

Addict
02-11-2008, 07:33 AM
What about Nmadi Asomugha (or however you spell it)?? He is actually a BIG corner (6'2 210)

there's no way he doesn't get the Raiders' franchise tag.

Addict
02-13-2008, 03:36 PM
Morgan and Wahle? Any of these two an option?

Brothgar
02-13-2008, 03:42 PM
I would go for Wahle. That is if we couldn't get Faneca

detroit4life
02-13-2008, 08:05 PM
I agree that he is not as much of a pass rush threat as Allen or Suggs but aside for last year he has been good for 8 sacks per year. And combined with White,IAF, and C. Smith I think that will make for a consistent pass rush.

i feel like we would be signing him just to sign a somewhat big name. He isnt an ideal fit for our defense why throw away money like that. If we can't get a real fit for our defense then let IAF get some PT with Devries and Cory Smith and save the money for elsewhere. I dont see him giving us more production then what we have now

Addict
02-14-2008, 02:43 AM
i feel like we would be signing him just to sign a somewhat big name. He isnt an ideal fit for our defense why throw away money like that. If we can't get a real fit for our defense then let IAF get some PT with Devries and Cory Smith and save the money for elsewhere. I dont see him giving us more production then what we have now

Suggs could play DE in our system just fine I think, but again, these are all franchise tag type players, Asomugha, Allen, Suggs will all be tagged by their team.

wingboy2999
02-14-2008, 09:16 AM

A semi-big name didn't work last time when we got Woody. That is, until, he started playing RT for us.

Iamcanadian
02-14-2008, 10:05 AM
You can forget Allen and Suggs, they'll be franchised along with 95% of the top big name FA's. All that will be left is a bunch of aging veterans who aren't coming close to playing at their former levels and another bunch of young prospects who will be released to open up cap space for their present teams. Unless you have an excellent GM and scouting department sorting through the young FA's won't help and we certainly don't have those qualities as an organization. We sign an aging veteran or 2 whose names will excite fans but in reality are only shells of their former abilities with little to contribute to our team while the strong organizations with solid GM's and excellent scouting departments sort through the young FA's and pluck off the talented ones.

detroit4life
02-14-2008, 05:35 PM
You can forget Allen and Suggs, they'll be franchised along with 95% of the top big name FA's. All that will be left is a bunch of aging veterans who aren't coming close to playing at their former levels and another bunch of young prospects who will be released to open up cap space for their present teams. Unless you have an excellent GM and scouting department sorting through the young FA's won't help and we certainly don't have those qualities as an organization. We sign an aging veteran or 2 whose names will excite fans but in reality are only shells of their former abilities with little to contribute to our team while the strong organizations with solid GM's and excellent scouting departments sort through the young FA's and pluck off the talented ones.

i agree and thats why the best course of action would probably go after michael turner in FA so that we can go defense in round 1. Turner will be on the market along with a few other quality RBs but the defense is looking liek it will be scarce. We need to try and fill our holes on offense in FA so that we can go defense in the draft

Addict
02-16-2008, 04:09 AM
i agree and thats why the best course of action would probably go after michael turner in FA so that we can go defense in round 1. Turner will be on the market along with a few other quality RBs but the defense is looking liek it will be scarce. We need to try and fill our holes on offense in FA so that we can go defense in the draft

I don't understand what everyone sees in Turner. He's a backup... and he didn't even look so well this year.

detroit4life
02-16-2008, 02:40 PM
he was a back up to LT and played well everytime he was on the field

wingboy2999
02-16-2008, 03:08 PM
He's averaged 5.5/carry and played well when in there. So yes, he would be a good signing. Doesn't have a lot of miles on him either.

Brothgar
02-16-2008, 03:42 PM
He's averaged 5.5/carry and played well when in there. So yes, he would be a good signing. Doesn't have a lot of miles on him either.

With the depth at running back and the not so depth at OL don't you think that Faneca may be what you want here?

wingboy2999
02-16-2008, 03:53 PM
With the depth at running back and the not so depth at OL don't you think that Faneca may be what you want here?

TAKE EM BOTH!

Bootland27
02-16-2008, 11:11 PM
Rod Coleman was released yesterday and he'd be a good pickup. His best days are obviously behind him, but he can still contribute as a backup and would give us an outstanding rotation of Rogers-Redding-Coleman and more.

Iamcanadian
02-17-2008, 12:08 AM
I'm not completely sold on Turner. He looked pretty average to me in the semi finals when Tomlinson couldn't go and they had to depend on Turner. To me it is a very simular story to Lemont Jordan when he was a backup to Martin with the Jets. Once he came to Oakland, he was pretty average at best.
Now I could be wrong about Turner, maybe he's better than what I saw but I won't want to pay him top dollar to find out. He'll be looking for big money to sign and while I think Millen might just do it, I just don't think it is a smart move.

Xiomera
02-17-2008, 11:49 AM
I'm not completely sold on Turner. He looked pretty average to me in the semi finals when Tomlinson couldn't go and they had to depend on Turner. To me it is a very simular story to Lemont Jordan when he was a backup to Martin with the Jets. Once he came to Oakland, he was pretty average at best.
Now I could be wrong about Turner, maybe he's better than what I saw but I won't want to pay him top dollar to find out. He'll be looking for big money to sign and while I think Millen might just do it, I just don't think it is a smart move.

Not necessarily. There are not many teams who need a starting RB, so he won't get a lot of other big offers. And considering there are 4 first round caliber RB's, there are probably more starting RB's out there to be had than there are teams that need them.

I hope Millen signs Turner to a fair contract.

wingboy2999
02-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Not necessarily. There are not many teams who need a starting RB, so he won't get a lot of other big offers. And considering there are 4 first round caliber RB's, there are probably more starting RB's out there to be had than there are teams that need them.

I hope Millen signs Turner to a fair contract.

I like your logic and think that may be true. A lot of people could just go RB through the draft. Without more picks, we may not have the luxury.

Addict
02-18-2008, 09:47 AM
I like your logic and think that may be true. A lot of people could just go RB through the draft. Without more picks, we may not have the luxury.

I do agree the dropoff after Felix Jones is pretty big, so if we want a starter through the draft, we gotta take one of the top 4 guys

Bootland27
02-19-2008, 12:13 PM
scratch off both DEs........they've been tagged

Brothgar
02-19-2008, 12:19 PM
I do agree the dropoff after Felix Jones is pretty big, so if we want a starter through the draft, we gotta take one of the top 4 guys

I don't know about that I really like Chris Johnson.

Addict
02-19-2008, 01:29 PM
I don't know about that I really like Chris Johnson.

I didn't say I dislike him, but there is a gap between the top 4 and Chris Johnson, no matter how you look at it.

wingboy2999
02-19-2008, 01:39 PM
He may be too small to be a starter though. But then again a workhorse is not completely necessary. It'd help but since we got Duckett that'll help.

Xiomera
02-19-2008, 02:28 PM
I will be needing to make a new one of these threads soon . . . several of the guys on the list are being franchised.

Scotty D
02-19-2008, 02:37 PM
I will be needing to make a new one of these threads soon . . . several of the guys on the list are being franchised.

Yeah. Maybe make a revised poll and we can just make that a free agency discussion thread.

Xiomera
02-19-2008, 02:39 PM
Yeah. Maybe make a revised poll and we can just make that a free agency discussion thread.

I am gonna wait till the deadline for teams to franchise players. Then we will know exactly who we are looking at . . .

Addict
02-21-2008, 01:06 PM
I am gonna wait till the deadline for teams to franchise players. Then we will know exactly who we are looking at . . .

that's march 3rd isn't it?

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-21-2008, 01:28 PM
The deadline is today for franchise tags.

I like Justin Smith, Sean Locklear and Brian Kelly in free agency.

Also I heard on Sirius that Lorenzo Neal might be let go. I'd take Neal over Bradley in a heartbeat.

Addict
02-21-2008, 02:22 PM

Also I heard on Sirius that Lorenzo Neal might be let go. I'd take Neal over Bradley in a heartbeat.

Neal would be a good upgrade, but I doubt we'll go after him. Brian Kelly's quite interesting though, coming from Tampa, that means he has knowledge of the system, plus he knows Marinelli, he'd be a good corner for us.

Iamcanadian
02-21-2008, 07:45 PM

I believe Locklear has resigned. Smith, Kelly and Neal are well past their prime and wouldn't be much if we sign them.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-21-2008, 09:25 PM
Yes Locklear did resign.

Smith is not past his prime and would be an upgrade. He is good at rushing the passer and against the run. He requires a double team on almost every play.

Kelly is past his prime, but we are desperate for corners.

Neal would be an upgrade too over Bradley. Even if its only for a year or two.

detroit4life
02-21-2008, 10:20 PM
I would be fine with signing kelly if the price was reasonable. Decent stop gap solution to be able to bring in some rookies and have someone to learn from and the more depth the more competition and the better production. Bring him in and the rookies are in a position to earn their starting spots from him or bryant

wingboy2999
02-21-2008, 11:00 PM
Yeah, this is how I feel about Kelly. He'll be a good stop gap solution for a year or two.

Addict
02-23-2008, 12:37 PM
Yeah, this is how I feel about Kelly. He'll be a good stop gap solution for a year or two.

which is exactly what we need. If we somehow got both Kelly and Flowers this off-season, our CB's would look... (dare I say it?) respectable.

ChezPower4
02-23-2008, 12:58 PM
The Lions need major help on the O-Line Jon Kitna was the most sacked QB last season. They should break the bank for Alan Fanica, they would be crazy not too.

TacticaLion
02-23-2008, 01:06 PM
The Lions need major help on the O-Line Jon Kitna was the most sacked QB last season. They should break the bank for Alan Fanica, they would be crazy not too.

Jon Kitna was the most sacked QB because of the offense we ran. Detroit ran the ball the fewest times in the NFL and passed 4th most in the NFL. Teams knew exactly what Detroit was going to do and took advantage of it.

We also already have Mulitalo and Peterman... two players the coaches love and will be starting at LG/RG next year.

The Lions wont pursue Faneca. They're happy with the OLine (for the most part) and wont throw a ton of money at an OG.

Scotty D
02-24-2008, 12:45 PM
http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/3911

Brian Kelly is officially a free agent. He bought out his contract. #1 free agent target.

TacticaLion
02-24-2008, 03:09 PM
http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/3911

Brian Kelly is officially a free agent. He bought out his contract. #1 free agent target.

Agree 100%. Bring him in. Sign him. A ton of Cover 2 experience and worked with Marinelli in Tampa.

WMD
02-24-2008, 06:16 PM
You guys are going to be disappointed if we sign Brian Kelly. He only played in 2 games a couple years ago and missed 6 last year. He's 32. Sure, he knows the system.. but with his age, and his turf toe, ankle, and groin injuries recently.. can he still play? He'd be starting for us, he didn't start for Tampa Bay last year.. can he handle it?

Scotty D
02-24-2008, 06:33 PM
You guys are going to be disappointed if we sign Brian Kelly. He only played in 2 games a couple years ago and missed 6 last year. He's 32. Sure, he knows the system.. but with his age, and his turf toe, ankle, and groin injuries recently.. can he still play? He'd be starting for us, he didn't start for Tampa Bay last year.. can he handle it?

We aren't close, we aren't close to close. I'd rather give his spot to a Rookie.

Well. We don't have any starting CBs right now. I'm picturing Brian Kelly and a rookie starting with Travis Fisher as the nickel. I know Brian Kelly isn't going to be a savior, but it just seem like the best option for us. I really want to see the CBs run at the combine. I'm hoping for Talib to run a slow time. Kansas played mostly a cover 2 and if he times slowly I think he will fall to the second round.

Bootland27
02-24-2008, 06:47 PM
A guy I wanna see the lions target is Jason David. He struggled often in coverage last year (because NO doesn't run a C-2), but before that he was in Indy and was very effective in the C-2. He's getting paid quite a bit, but if we had to give up, say a 3rd/4th rd pick would you do it?

wingboy2999
02-24-2008, 07:56 PM
Remember guys we still do have to release Bryant. The longer we hold onto him... the more probable it may be we keep him. He knows they don't want to pay him $4 million... but Millen may just be an idiot and forget to do anything about it.

Iamcanadian
02-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Yes Locklear did resign.

Smith is not past his prime and would be an upgrade. He is good at rushing the passer and against the run. He requires a double team on almost every play.

Kelly is past his prime, but we are desperate for corners.

Neal would be an upgrade too over Bradley. Even if its only for a year or two.

The knock on Smith has always been his short arms. It has limited him severely as a pro. He can be easily knocked off his pass rush with a solid hand punch to his body as he isn't able to keep his distance from an OLman who has longer arms. He's coming from a terrible defense in Cincy which would hardly be willing to dump him if he was really productive.
As for Kelly, he is pretty well done as a NFL player and won't be much more than a veteran nearing retirement who wants some foolish team to hand him a big paycheck for little in return. Neal is in the same position as Kelly.
If we had any kind of scouting department, we'd be looking for FA's who are young but have potential like White was last year. Unless you can offer a veteran a realistic chance at a title, they will only come to Detroit for the money and give you little in return.

Iamcanadian
02-24-2008, 10:45 PM
A guy I wanna see the lions target is Jason David. He struggled often in coverage last year (because NO doesn't run a C-2), but before that he was in Indy and was very effective in the C-2. He's getting paid quite a bit, but if we had to give up, say a 3rd/4th rd pick would you do it?

At least you looking in the right direction although I just don't think he's worth a high paycheck. He is certainly an ideal guy for a Cover 2 team.

wingboy2999
02-24-2008, 11:31 PM
Is he making that much money though? Articles are saying we are looking at Brian Kelly.

Bootland27
02-24-2008, 11:58 PM
Is he making that much money though? Articles are saying we are looking at Brian Kelly.

It was worth 4 yrs/$16.5M with roughly $6M guaranteed.

wingboy2999
02-25-2008, 12:08 AM
We're paying Bryant 4 mill and he knows they don't want to pay that. So unless David can out perform Bryant by a good margin, not going to do that.

Scotty D
02-25-2008, 08:44 AM
It was worth 4 yrs/$16.5M with roughly $6M guaranteed.

New Orleans would be on the hook for the 6m guaranteed. I'm guessing his base salary was around 1 million. So he probably has around 3 years 9 million left on his deal if we acquire him.

Xiomera
02-25-2008, 08:51 AM
Are there any free agent DT's out there we could sign if we trade Shaun Rogers?

Bootland27
02-25-2008, 09:19 AM
http://walterfootball.com/free2008DT.php

Xiomera
02-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Anyone think Marinelli might try and sign Greg White, another Bucs DE? He had 8 sacks last year as a part-time starter.

wingboy2999
02-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Anyone that can be respectable and is a FA.... SIGN EM!

Addict
02-27-2008, 06:00 AM
Anyone that can be respectable and is a FA.... SIGN EM!

Lions off-season '08 just got it's slogan handed to it.

Brothgar
02-28-2008, 02:25 PM
t is said that we are looking at Drayton Florence as well Brian Kelly. So when you are looking at it we sign both players we are now looking at a CB corps including Brian Kelly, Drayton Florence, Keith Smith, Foxworth, and one of our Alexander has experience at CB. That's our CB corps which makes me believe even more that we are looking at OT, RB, or DE in the first round of the draft.

wingboy2999
02-28-2008, 02:37 PM
Foxworth? Are you counting on that Foxworth and a 2nd for Rogers? I don't know why we'd want him when there is better Cover 2 options in the draft.

Brothgar
02-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Foxworth? Are you counting on that Foxworth and a 2nd for Rogers? I don't know why we'd want him when there is better Cover 2 options in the draft.

Yeah I'm looking at that Foxworh and a 2nd for Rogers. And I forget Stanley Wilson is still on the team. I think we are rebuilding our secondary through FA and won't be a big player for CBs once the draft hits.

Scotty D
02-28-2008, 03:00 PM
Shane Olivea cut by the Chargers. Would be decent pick up for us.

Scotty D
02-28-2008, 04:44 PM
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080228/SPORTS01/80228066/1049/rss14

Article says Drayton Florence expects a call from us. I don't know really.

WMD
02-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Let's sign Lorenzo Neal.

wingboy2999
02-28-2008, 05:15 PM
Let's sign Lorenzo Lamas.

http://cinedestin.privatedns.com/seriesam/lerebelle/lerebelle.jpg

Brothgar
02-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Let's sign Lorenzo Neal.

OR we could draft Owen Schmitt!!!! WOOT!

detroit4life
02-28-2008, 05:38 PM
Yeah I'm looking at that Foxworh and a 2nd for Rogers. And I forget Stanley Wilson is still on the team. I think we are rebuilding our secondary through FA and won't be a big player for CBs once the draft hits.

im confident we will take a CB in the first two rounds even if we do sign a FA or two. We need some youth there since Kelly is only a stop gap solution

Scotty D
02-28-2008, 11:34 PM
We are the top suitors for Michael Turner. Along with the Bears and Saints.

WMD
02-29-2008, 06:17 AM
We are the top suitors for Michael Turner. Along with the Bears and Saints.

Where'd you see that at?

wingboy2999
02-29-2008, 09:23 AM
Link us to sweet info like that!

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-29-2008, 09:35 AM
http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_wiretap_archives/7576/20080228/bears_lions_and_saints_intereted_in_turner/

Doesn't look very authentic. Thats all I could find.

wingboy2999
02-29-2008, 09:40 AM
SIGN HIM DAMN IT!

And thanks!

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-29-2008, 09:50 AM
On a side note, Justin Smith and Berrian are in Minnesota today. I really hope the Vikings don't sign Justin Smith.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-29-2008, 10:24 AM
http://boards.espn.go.com/boards/mb/mb?sport=nfl&id=det&tid=2427871&lid=0

Looks like there is more to the Turner rumor. He visits Atlanta first and Kirwan says Detroit is expected to make a strong push. We could use him. Duckett is visiting Seattle today by the way. Jim Mora connection there.

wingboy2999
02-29-2008, 12:06 PM
If anyone has read the articles about Florence it seems like he is atleast considering us. He likes what he sees and likes how he'd be a contributor.

casskid
02-29-2008, 07:35 PM
If the Lions just sign Turner as their only "big name" FA this off season would you be content? I mean are we in the running for anyone else other then Florence or maybe Kelly?

wingboy2999
02-29-2008, 07:49 PM
Yes/no. I don't really know who else we are looking at honestly. Bringing in White, the TB DE, would be nice for depth. But I think we'll get Kelly or Florence. Chances are much better we get Kelly.

Really, if we can get anyone who can play/start it will be a plus.

Scotty D
03-01-2008, 02:52 AM
So who is the #2 CB now? Kelly or Florence still a possibility? Still draft a CB in the first two rounds? Does this eliminate a first round CB?

casskid
03-01-2008, 03:33 AM
IF we sign Turner then I would think the Lions would look defense with their day one picks. Whats the sense in drafting Mendenhall/Stewart with Turner on the roster. The Lions front office seems to be fine with the OL. Cant give up on Stanton, no way in hell we draft a WR, and no TE warrants a pick at 15. So I would say at this point the Lions have to think pass rush DE, MLB, and CB as the targets in their day one picks.

TacticaLion
03-01-2008, 07:34 AM
I'd love for the Lions to grab Turner AND draft a RB in rounds 3-4. Enter the season with Turner/KJ/Rookie and you've got a solid trio and great depth. Next year, wave goodbye as KJ hits the open market.

And, for the draft, target MLB, CB, DT and RB (in that order). A draft of Connor, Cason, Laws and *insert best RB available* would be great.

ThEvIcTR
03-02-2008, 01:21 AM
Why not trade one of our third round picks for Lito Sheppard, both of them if we have to. By doing this we could draft O line in the first and a middle linebacker or defensive tackle in the second round.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-02-2008, 09:33 AM
Well Florence has signed with Jax.

Lions are bringing in Chuck Darby and Ellis Wyms next week for visitations. Brian Kelly remains on our radar but the Lions are waitiing until the market cools down because of Samuels large contract.

Scotty D
03-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Atlanta signed Michael Turner. That was wishful thinking I now realize.

bearsfan_51
03-02-2008, 03:21 PM
I think if the Lions want to go the FA route at runningback Julius Jones would be a more realistic option. Or Musa Smith. I think either player would work well enough alternating with Kevin Jones.

The real question I guess is if they still view Kevin Jones as a #1 guy.

Brothgar
03-02-2008, 04:05 PM
I think if the Lions want to go the FA route at runningback Julius Jones would be a more realistic option. Or Musa Smith. I think either player would work well enough alternating with Kevin Jones.

The real question I guess is if they still view Kevin Jones as a #1 guy.

Don't we need to Resign TJ Duckett still?

bearsfan_51
03-02-2008, 04:17 PM
I guess. Duckett did ok as a reserve last year, so I could see them thinking he's a 2nd option, but I personally don't buy it.

TacticaLion
03-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Don't we need to Resign TJ Duckett still?

We need to resign a FA RB. Duckett played well at times last year, but I'd hate to go into the season expecting him to lead the team if KJ goes down again.

I'd take Julius Jones in a heartbeat.

Brothgar
03-02-2008, 06:55 PM
We need to resign a FA RB. Duckett played well at times last year, but I'd hate to go into the season expecting him to lead the team if KJ goes down again.

I'd take Julius Jones in a heartbeat.

Was Julius really all t that great? I mean I got to see quite a few Dallas games (since they area in the same division as philly) and he had a few break away runs but overall not too impressed.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Julius Jones was outplayed by Barber. But Julius Jones does have some very good qualities. That breakaway speed is something the Lions could use. Totally different back than Duckett obviously, but it depends on what style of back we want to have. And how we feel about the upcoming draft class at running back. If they like Chris Johnson a lot, then they'll wait for speed in the draft and sign a bruiser like Duckett. If they go for someone like Julius Jones, we'll probably go for a bigger back in the draft. We had the speed guy last year in Bell and for some reason that didn't work out. Martz lost faith in him. It seemed like after that fumble against Chicago, Martz just gave up on Bell.

WMD
03-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Why would we sign Julius Jones? Are we going to try and get every RB from the 2004 Draft on our team at some point in their careers?

I'd rather draft a RB to start for us.

TacticaLion
03-02-2008, 07:59 PM
Julius Jones was outplayed by Barber. But Julius Jones does have some very good qualities. That breakaway speed is something the Lions could use. Totally different back than Duckett obviously, but it depends on what style of back we want to have. And how we feel about the upcoming draft class at running back. If they like Chris Johnson a lot, then they'll wait for speed in the draft and sign a bruiser like Duckett. If they go for someone like Julius Jones, we'll probably go for a bigger back in the draft. We had the speed guy last year in Bell and for some reason that didn't work out. Martz lost faith in him. It seemed like after that fumble against Chicago, Martz just gave up on Bell.

A lot of backs are outplayed by Barber... he's a hard worker and a powerful runner.

Yeah... Bell didn't work out because Martz didn't want him to. He played OK at the beginning of the season, but got into Martz's doghouse when KJ was healthy and was never given another shot.

Why would we sign Julius Jones? Are we going to try and get every RB from the 2004 Draft on our team at some point in their careers?

I'd rather draft a RB to start for us.Even if we draft a RB, we'll only have 2 on the roster (and KJ may not be healthy for the season). Jones is a solid runner.

If the Lions draft a RB, I think it'll be in round 3. The MLB and CB positions are priority to them right now.

Go Blue
03-03-2008, 10:16 AM
I thought I read on the Lions website that TJ was released. Any one else see this?

Brothgar
03-03-2008, 10:34 AM
I thought I read on the Lions website that TJ was released. Any one else see this?

He wasn't released he is a Unrestricted Free Agent. I can't see the Lions actually cutting Duckett after seeing him do well the 2nd half of the season.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-03-2008, 10:36 AM
Duckett is most likely going to sign with Seattle.

Brothgar
03-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Hmmm... that is interesting. Very interesting. Does this mean that Seattle doesn't go RB in round 1 and likely won't trade up to 15?

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Not necesarily. Duckett really isn't a starter. They didn't cut Alexander yet did they? They wouldn't tip their hand like that but I could see them still going for a RB even with Duckett.

Jim Mora/Duckett connection. Seattle is a good fit for Duckett.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Its not over yet for Duckett though. There is still a chance.

http://spartannation.com/?p=3743

The Legend
03-03-2008, 12:15 PM
wow noone left on the board that sucks at least you got rid of Rodgers
look like a good deal from a outsiders view

Scotty D
03-03-2008, 01:54 PM
http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/story;jsessionid=A5D81C0F2AFC3B31880FC81302A59C99? id=09000d5d807007f7&template=with-video&confirm=true

Dan Morgan is visiting us today.

Prowler
03-03-2008, 03:33 PM
what do you guys think we'll do for DT? pick up a larry tripplett, roll the dice on rod coleman's limbs not falling off, draft, or just play redding/cody every down?

also, dan morgan beats what we have so might as well. he and kitna can take turns guessing their own middle names or counting the stars that they are constantly seeing after taking big hit after big hit.

TacticaLion
03-03-2008, 03:58 PM
he and kitna can take turns guessing their own middle names or counting the stars that they are constantly seeing after taking big hit after big hit.Haha... that's TBS right there.

Addict
03-03-2008, 04:00 PM
http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/story;jsessionid=A5D81C0F2AFC3B31880FC81302A59C99? id=09000d5d807007f7&template=with-video&confirm=true

Dan Morgan is visiting us today.

Speaking of injury problems... he's constantly nicked up

Scotty D
03-03-2008, 06:07 PM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/03/kevin_jones_will_return_to_det.html

Julius Jones in for a visit and a physical tomorrow. Wonder what kind of deal he is looking for. 2 years 6 million maybe?

TacticaLion
03-03-2008, 06:18 PM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/03/kevin_jones_will_return_to_det.html

Julius Jones in for a visit and a physical tomorrow. Wonder what kind of deal he is looking for. 2 years 6 million maybe?

God I want Julius Jones... bad. It's ideal, IMO, to sign a solid RB, draft one in rounds 3-4 and take an OT in round 1.

casskid
03-04-2008, 02:38 AM
I dont know about Jones, it seems like the Lions missed out on all the players they wanted this year, so I would say at this point just save the money for next year instead of signing so-so players this year. I wasnt crazy about Turner and Im even less excited about Jones.

Iamcanadian
03-04-2008, 04:36 AM
I'm glad that Millen has stuck to signing young FA's with something still to prove. These are the only FA's that will put out for Detroit anyways and by the looks of it, the only FA's that will come to Detroit to play for Millen.
It is also Millen's new plan, improvement through subtraction and it is OBVIOUS that it will pay dividends, duh.

TacticaLion
03-04-2008, 05:17 AM
I dont know about Jones, it seems like the Lions missed out on all the players they wanted this year, so I would say at this point just save the money for next year instead of signing so-so players this year. I wasnt crazy about Turner and Im even less excited about Jones.

But they can't. They can't enter the draft needing 2 RBs, a starting OT, a CB, a starting MLB, a starting DE, a starting DT and depth at OLB. If you can sign any player to eliminate a need heading into the draft, you need to do it.

Jones, Shelton, Kelly, and either Darby or Wyms would be solid. It gives us our starting CB group in Kelly/Bodden (with Wilson, Smith and Rookie), an average RT (with Jon Scott behind him), a solid NFL RB (when KJones leaves next year) and a veteran DT that played under Marinelli in Tampa.

Then, we can enter the draft only NEEDING to go after a few positions and can draft depth, not starters, in later rounds for the others.

Addict
03-04-2008, 04:38 PM

pfff we'll probably overpay him. Another injury-prone guy... awesome. That way, if we suck next year we can blame the injuries!

Iamcanadian
03-05-2008, 11:27 PM
But they can't. They can't enter the draft needing 2 RBs, a starting OT, a CB, a starting MLB, a starting DE, a starting DT and depth at OLB. If you can sign any player to eliminate a need heading into the draft, you need to do it.

Jones, Shelton, Kelly, and either Darby or Wyms would be solid. It gives us our starting CB group in Kelly/Bodden (with Wilson, Smith and Rookie), an average RT (with Jon Scott behind him), a solid NFL RB (when KJones leaves next year) and a veteran DT that played under Marinelli in Tampa.

Then, we can enter the draft only NEEDING to go after a few positions and can draft depth, not starters, in later rounds for the others.

Talk about being desperate.

Jones - a very mediocre RB who couldn't become Dallas's starter even though he was given every opportunity.
Shelton - the definition of a mediocre OLman
Kelly - will be entering his 12th season in the NFL and is well past his productive period. It's all downhill from here.
Darby - another mediocre player desperately looking for some team to grab him
Wyms - a backup type player who would backup Redding.

Yep, a solid group by Detroit's standards. Yeah, we only would need to draft depth, these solid guys will be the starters. That's if Millen can even find anybody to provide depth, he's much better at finding players for our practice squad.

Brothgar
03-05-2008, 11:59 PM

Rome wasm't built in a day and neither will the Detroit Lions I don't think there is any way that the team can effectively fill all their needs in one offseason unless we hit on a mid round pick. Lets face it with Millen's finger on the button I can't see it happening. So now you must think about what is a stronger find this season as opposed to next season. RB is very strong in both the Draft and FA you could easily fill both RBs in the draft even a 2nd round (Say Chris Johnson :-D ) and Mike Hart is plummeting and could be a 6th round pick. (A steal in the 6th round). I've said it before and I'll say it again we can't invest more cap space on the DE position we are pretty much pidgen holed with IAF and White with Edwards and DeVries as backups. It sucks but I don't see it changing this year.

TacticaLion
03-06-2008, 08:22 AM
Talk about being desperate.

Jones - a very mediocre RB who couldn't become Dallas's starter even though he was given every opportunity.
Shelton - the definition of a mediocre OLman
Kelly - will be entering his 12th season in the NFL and is well past his productive period. It's all downhill from here.
Darby - another mediocre player desperately looking for some team to grab him
Wyms - a backup type player who would backup Redding.

Yep, a solid group by Detroit's standards. Yeah, we only would need to draft depth, these solid guys will be the starters. That's if Millen can even find anybody to provide depth, he's much better at finding players for our practice squad.
Actually, IAC, JJones started every game last year for Dallas. So he was the starter...

Regardless, Barber is a great NFL RB. That's like suggesting that Sorgi is horrible because he can't win the starting job over Peyton Manning. Peyton is a better QB, and Barber is a better RB. Barbers also better than every RB on our roster (by a large margin).

Each of those players (besides Jones) is a veteran to add depth. It's an insurance policy in case a drafted rookie doesn't work out at the position. Those players have experience and understand the system... which are the best players to bring in.